• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If you follow the link to the playlist, you'll find this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-R89x0Acso&list=PLPh3p_yYrx0ALYpBrr4Ny_bdEx2KmYejv&index=3&t=2965s&ab_channel=Nintendo公式チャンネル

This is a Japan-only tournament that was streamed yesterday, September 5th. After the stream the VOD is then added to the playlist, which explains why the playlist was updated yesterday.
You're right. I would like to apologize for not paying enough attention and as a result posting something patently false

T2by4

Smash Lord
i mean, sakuraui did put up 3 fingers for byleth, and "min min" was hidden in the arms fighter title words on the thumbnail
Flat out if sakurai puts out a thumbnail with 7 fingers up, then it's without a doubt gonna be Geno.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Has there ever been an instance of these playlist updates hinting at and leading up to a Direct or other presentation? IIRC, almost every time this happens, it turns out to be some random pre-existing video that Nintendo made private for some reason.

It's frustrating because it feels like they should be leading up to a presentation, but maybe we should just ignore these playlist updates if they're just leading up to nothing?

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
we aren't worried it may be too soon after the mario direct for a sakarai vid? If the SMRPG project is real, maybe they're saving it for the holiday and thus will wait til october?

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Flat out if sakurai puts out a thumbnail with 7 fingers up, then it's without a doubt gonna be Geno.
its fighter 7 tho so we wouldnt think other wise "ooh 7 fingers, fighter 7" but if he held something like a doll that might give it away

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Has there ever been an instance of these playlist updates hinting at and leading up to a Direct or other presentation? IIRC, almost every time this happens, it turns out to be some random pre-existing video that Nintendo made private for some reason.

It's frustrating because it feels like they should be leading up to a presentation, but maybe we should just ignore these playlist updates if they're just leading up to nothing?
I also can't remember anything really relevant, Tbh
Btw: Wow PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate Blastoise looks amazing

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
View attachment 284735
Smash Pic of the day 9/6.

That's a lot of stars and I see 7 people in this picture...
Eh....I'm not buying it as a hint.

If there were seven Starfys or two Star Rods/Warp Stars in the picture I'd feel better about it.

Though I suppose it could be notable that Kirby as a franchise has two items heavily associated with stars.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
View attachment 284735

Edit: Also Link with the LEGEND of Zelda.
Sakurai also posted this picture on August 24 of Young Link holding the sword in the Kalos Pokemon Leaque stage. This pic looks INCREDIBLY reminiscent of Exor. Their is also another picture of a metallic Young Link holding a smaller version of this sword kinda resembling Mack, but Smashboards is having trouble loading it for some reason.

Ef6QsrSUEActLnp.jpg

Also, I find it interesting how Young Link is in both pictures. Usually I'm not one to look in to this stuff too seriously, but its quite eye-brow raising to say the least.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai also posted this picture on August 24 of Young Link holding the sword in the Kalos Pokemon Leaque stage. This pic looks INCREDIBLY reminiscent of Exor. Their is also another picture of a metallic Young Link holding a smaller version of this sword kinda resembling Mack, but Smashboards is having trouble loading it for some reason.

View attachment 284736

Also, I find it interesting how Young Link is in both pictures. Usually I'm not one to look in to this stuff too seriously, but its quite eye-brow raising to say the least.
you could be right? but it DOES seem like a stretch...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
View attachment 284735

Edit: Also Link with the LEGEND of Zelda.

View attachment 284736

I wouldn't read too much into Sakurai's goofy pictures of the day. They're just for fun, with today's being a reference to Starfy's anniversary being on this date. People have used these pictures to claim that all sorts of characters are going to be playable, and it never (or at least rarely ever - some might have worked out by sheer coincidence) pans out. It's like looking at the video games that Sakurai has played in the past and using that to claim that Steve from Minecraft is going to be playable.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 284736

also, maybe theres A LINK between these photos!

-ba dum ts-

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Some of you added a Geno hat on their profile picture, is it possible someone give me the picture with the hat only please ? (I don't find a pic with just the hat on the web)

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Following on the topic of the Starfy-themed pic of the day, when I saw it and knowing that Geno and SMRPG have been hot topics not just here, but in other social media outlets as well recently (teases, etc.), it did felt like "possibly" a hint (HARD stress on possibly). The pic with Young Link down thrusting one of the blades on the Pokemon stage was yet another image that felt like a SMRPG hint, but specifically referencing Mack (the first boss). As for the fact that Young Link appears in both of these pictures, do recall the following:
  • Next year marks the 35th Anniversary of The Legend of Zelda franchise
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is by many considered THE most celebrated and important Zelda game of all (first 3D Zelda game, etc.)
  • In SMRPG, there is a chance instance that when you go to an Inn (don't remember if it's specifically Rose Town's Inn), on the following morning you can see Link sleeping on the bed next to Mario's.
In addition to this, now that I think about it, Young Link sort of shares a certain air of similarity to Geno's character. Both characters (in Geno's case, the doll that is named Geno) were chosen by a fairy/star like being to carry out a great task (Link = Navy; Geno = heart note exclamation question mark). Heck, if you look at Young Link, one could even go as far (REACH) to say that his outfit has some similarities to Geno's (with exception of the cape). Both wear boots, both wear a similarly shaped hat, and both characters live in (or nearby) a forest (Link lives in Kokiri Forest, while Geno is first encountered in the Forest Maze, which is near Rose Town, where his doll is first seen).

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I just read another thread and apparently the direct site hasn't been updated. I'm confused now. Has it actually been updated? Would a Sakurai Showcase even be considered a direct? I doubt it. Either way verification would be nice

MattX20

Smash Hero
I just read another thread and apparently the direct site hasn't been updated. I'm confused now. Has it actually been updated? Would a Sakurai Showcase even be considered a direct? I doubt it. Either way verification would be nice
It has.
Put this link in the box:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Ah that's cool then. After checking the history for the directs it seems literally every thing that is on there is literally branded with direct even things like the Dragalia Lost one from a while back with no sign of Sakurai showcases which have aired in a similar format before. Honestly hate to say it but if this indicates anything it's certainly not a Sakurai showcase. If anything it's probably a partner showcase just added a lot more prematurely than you'd expect as we aren't getting a general till next year at the earliest. Still the lack of an update last week is key to why it's quite likely to happen around now anyway.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
ya'll remember that next year is super mario rpgs 25th right?
Cannot forget that! I mentioned this to Fatman while we were hush hush, that they (Square) could do something like they did with Hero.

Original Message
Something just dawned on me. Now maybe you and others have talked about it, but I may have just had an eureka moment.

OK there are rumblings and evidence of Geno being in Smash and SMRPG remaster/sequel going around. I was thinking how this could work and I thought about how Square likes to advertise things. Particularly, how Dragon Quest 11 S and Hero were handled.

So they announced the definitive edition gets announced early 2019 then we get Hero announced at E3. Hero gets released late July with DQ11S releasing late September.

With this in mind...We could see this same formula in play for Geno! Think of it this way. Game gets announced, Fighter for said game gets announced for Smash and released a month or so later. Gives people some time to play the character and go "Man, I should check out the game this guy is from..Oh right! They announced SMRPG coming early 2021."

I feel this is Square's formula thus far. It may have worked for Hero and DQ11 it will certainly work for Geno and SMRPG remaster.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Cannot forget that! I mentioned this to Fatman while we were hush hush, that they (Square) could do something like they did with Hero.

Original Message
Something just dawned on me. Now maybe you and others have talked about it, but I may have just had an eureka moment.

OK there are rumblings and evidence of Geno being in Smash and SMRPG remaster/sequel going around. I was thinking how this could work and I thought about how Square likes to advertise things. Particularly, how Dragon Quest 11 S and Hero were handled.

So they announced the definitive edition gets announced early 2019 then we get Hero announced at E3. Hero gets released late July with DQ11S releasing late September.

With this in mind...We could see this same formula in play for Geno! Think of it this way. Game gets announced, Fighter for said game gets announced for Smash and released a month or so later. Gives people some time to play the character and go "Man, I should check out the game this guy is from..Oh right! They announced SMRPG coming early 2021."

I feel this is Square's formula thus far. It may have worked for Hero and DQ11 it will certainly work for Geno and SMRPG remaster.
oh i so wish somethig like that would happen!

Trevenant

Smash Lord
How soon is there usually a direct after the site updates?
For the Mario one it was probably less than 5 days. Idk what else it can be other than a partner showcase but it's a cool knowing something is happening at least albeit a relatively minor something

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Saying that picture is a hint is reeeeeally stretching things tbh...
But I love to stretch...

Also, didn't some people look at the Multi colored Kirby one as a possible Hint towards Byleth? I remember this
At 4:11 is the supposed pic from PapaGenos.

Just because I am super curious, were there any other Kirby pics that could have pointed to Hero, Banjo or Terry? Not sure if Pics of the Day were a thing BEFORE Ultimate released, so not for Joker.

Again, time to STRETCH!!!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Maybe, but so was the Byleth finger thing. After that, would anyone really put anything past Sakurai?

Though I agree its a bit like "LOOK AT THE CHAAAAAIR COLORS" isn't it?
Then again, when people pointed out that they were revealing veterans for Smash 4 to tie into game releases, people looked at that like they were crazy.

Sometimes the most obscure will be treated as a stretched truth. Sometimes the most obvious will be dismissed as conspiracy theories.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
The attitude I have personally employed in regards to pictures tweeted by Sakurai is that the man enjoys making fun little jokes and memes with his particular sense of humor, and that he would never actually intentionally drop a hint or a wink towards whatever's coming down the pipeline. Considering that he himself has been on the record saying he actively turns down invites to some events and interviews because people will just start yelling about what it means for Smash, I highly doubt that he'd be willing to do that to himself with his own twitter account and dev pictures.

Sometimes, people just like to make fun jokes and references, especially if it is in relation to things that they like.

And, yes, before I forget; His little hand gesture for the Byleth reveal was certainly in relation to Three Houses, but considering that even with that knowledge, it still was only because he was counting in Binary, nothing anybody would have predicted on its own, and it was because he was counting the total games for Fire Emblem, not because the three fingers meant Three Houses -- I'd say that this, alone, is the closest we get to Sakurai hinting at anything, and even then, it was a very particular, very obscure thing he was doing to get to that conclusion to begin with.

It's healthier to just take the pictures he posts at face-value unless he outright states one day, "Ah, and this picture, I wonder what it means...?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom