• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
No, no, they're pretty horrible too.
Smash speculation is plagued by people who take themselves too seriously and get genuinely angry at things like that, which is a damn shame because both sides for many characters make speculation just... not fun and toxic.
The 6 months leading up to the E3 Direct of 2019 was easily the most toxic part of the speculation cycle. It's a time I don't miss at all, with code name arguments and bashing of people who wanted other characters Square owned besides Dragon Quest.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Question, with this out of the bag, does that leave you with anything else you're sitting on, or are you still having to squirm and hold back stuff you want off your chest?

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Question, with this out of the bag, does that leave you with anything else you're sitting on, or are you still having to squirm and hold back stuff you want off your chest?
at bare minimum there is still the retro revival's from indies he has mentioned, he has said they are being done, but no what or by who

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's three other things in particular. The SMRPG remake was one of two things I was specifically asked to not make public by multiple people since April. The other is one of the three classic NES/indie revivals that's supposedly going to be announced by the end of the summer. There's two things that my contacts gave me the okay to make public but I've chosen not to because I believe their respective fanbases deserve the surprise. As I've talked about in the past, one of them has been kept a secret since last August and it's basically been a gaming community collective effort to not let it get out. On a much, much smaller degree, I guess I'm keeping the dead Namco franchise revival secret too but the other three things are so much of a bigger deal in comparison (no offense to that fanbase but they still deserve the surprise in my opinion).

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
There's three other things in particular. The SMRPG remake was one of two things I was specifically asked to not make public by multiple people since April. The other is one of the three classic NES/indie revivals that's supposedly going to be announced by the end of the summer. There's two things that my contacts gave me the okay to make public but I've chosen not to because I believe their respective fanbases deserve the surprise. As I've talked about in the past, one of them has been kept a secret since last August and it's basically been a gaming community collective effort to not let it get out. On a much, much smaller degree, I guess I'm keeping the dead Namco franchise revival secret too but the other three things are so much of a bigger deal in comparison (no offense to that fanbase but they still deserve the surprise in my opinion).
All right, nifty. Something else to look forward to then. Namco's got some good franchises that they're holding onto so should be fun. Hope that vindication comes sooner rather than later though. The anticipation is just unreal now.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
this seems to be normal with popular characters, ridley, and k rool, got the same treatment, i feel like it is because the smash ballet changed speculation from "i wonder if this guy might get in" to "the popular guy gets in", and they feel like making the popular guys less popular by running off their supporters helps them be more popular by comparison
Ultimately, fans have the real power to impact the roster. There's maybe a handful of characters specifically rejected by Sakurai because fan reception is so bad (like Tingle, and even that needed a good chunk of the literal world hating him to sway Sakurai to avoid). Sakurai isn't going to add characters because people outright hate them; he will try to add characters that have the fan support (try, as there could be other factors holding a character back). So detractors' only power over the roster is to dilute and minimize fanbases: obsessively go after fans to squash their hopes and control the flow of debates and discussions. Now supporters avoid bringing up characters like Geno in discussion or they are ushered out from other character threads because the main group don't want to deal with the drama that character's detractors will bring into their thread (basically, the supporter isn't unwelcomed into a thread because they like a character, but because that character's detractors will soon follow them in). So if detractors verbally beat down the fanbase enough where support wanes, that character is less likely to get Sakurai and Nintendo's attention, thus they get skipped over.

For all the detractor's complaints of a character thread being an echo chamber, their end goal is to impose an echo chamber themselves, but that's acceptable to them because its THEIR chamber to manipulate to their liking.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Now supporters avoid bringing up characters like Geno in discussion or they are ushered out from other character threads because the main group don't want to deal with the drama that character's detractors will bring into their thread (basically, the supporter isn't unwelcomed into a thread because they like a character, but because that character's detractors will soon follow them in). So if detractors verbally beat down the fanbase enough where support wanes, that character is less likely to get Sakurai and Nintendo's attention, thus they get skipped over.
This is exactly why I refrain from bringing up Geno around anyone besides certain places, literally because I and other fans are being harassed into silence.

But don't worry, it's okay when it happens to us, because we're wrong for liking our star puppet man and they're right because "???"!

MattX20

Smash Hero
This is exactly why I refrain from bringing up Geno around anyone besides certain places, literally because I and other fans are being harassed into silence.

But don't worry, it's okay when it happens to us, because we're wrong for liking our star puppet man and they're right because "???"!
Yeah, it's why I don't look in on 4Chan, Gamefaqs, or the general/social threads. It's pretty toxic

D

Deleted member

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Yeah while the Newcomer Speculation thread has a lot of cool people, discussion in there tends to be toxic especially when someone brings up Geno or Fatman and then you’ll have people who believe their assumptions are 100% correct no-possibility-of-being-wrong thinking Fatman is a lying sociopath and Geno fans are delusional and crazy.

Like, there’s no evidence for Fatman being a big-time liar anyway. Quite the opposite, actually, and he even stresses how his predictions are just that, predictions, with info from contacts (and, in the past, a certain discord) not being the only thing he relies on even and knowing it’s not all full-proof. And when it comes to all of us Geno supporters as a whole, seriously? While some of the evidence we have may be circumstantial and doesn’t mean much, some of it is legitimately good-looking and honestly people in that thread do the same frickin’ thing for other characters with less evidence just because the characters are big, but I don’t see anyone calling them delusional or way too optimistic.

Heck, just for thinking Cacomallow was still plausible and hoping people could be more civil/kind to each other over it, I was called delusional, even with me just being neutral or leaning on fake. Believing in anything that wasn’t “100% fake” was considered delusional. The user who called me that and/or another even tried saying it was an “unhealthy” mindset and they even tried frickin’ equating it to Flat Earthers being unhealthy/denying the facts (and really who cares about them either? It may seem weird, but they’re still human beings...). Oh yes, we’re the ones being unhealthy and crazy over videogame speculation...

Now to be honest, that was a few months or so back, and I think I made a mistake too even if I was trying to be respectful, but still I think it serves as an example and it still bugs me to think about (which isn’t often, only when really thinking about the thread or coming across the certain user...).

I guess it is a bit unhealthy to discuss that thread like this, though, but good frickin’ gosh...but yes I guess there’s no real point in discussing this, it’s not like it’s gonna help and we just have to live with these kinda things I guess...

People getting up in arms over Operation Starfall helping a charity fund was also pretty stupid.
There's a reason I call that place "The Fart Chamber"

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

This is interesting. It has the original dates for the Mario Maker 2 Mario 35th Anniversary Ninji Speedrun as 4/14 at 7:00 pm PT – 4/21 at 7:00 pm PT.

So that would have put the original date for the Mario direct in either March or April, and not E3. That's quite a delay.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Those are not uploaded to the Smash Bros playlist, iirc they go to w/e Japan calls "Nintendo vs". Notice that the 44 videos do not have a single tournament match.

The time is coming.
If you follow the link to the playlist, you'll find this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-R...jv&index=3&t=2965s&ab_channel=Nintendo公式チャンネル

This is a Japan-only tournament that was streamed yesterday, September 5th. After the stream the VOD is then added to the playlist, which explains why the playlist was updated yesterday.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If you follow the link to the playlist, you'll find this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-R89x0Acso&list=PLPh3p_yYrx0ALYpBrr4Ny_bdEx2KmYejv&index=3&t=2965s&ab_channel=Nintendo公式チャンネル

This is a Japan-only tournament that was streamed yesterday, September 5th. After the stream the VOD is then added to the playlist, which explains why the playlist was updated yesterday.
The playlist is one thing, but the Direct website updating twice over the course of 4 days is another

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
The playlist is one thing, but the Direct website updating twice over the course of 4 days is another
For sure. I was just talking specifically about the Smash JP playlist and how its update seems to be just because of the tournament VOD. I definitely think the direct playlist update means something might be happening.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
keep an eye out for stars, sakurai putting up 7 fingers, or him holding a doll/action figure. XD
Most likely, there will just be a big FP7 in the center to indicate that is who will be revealed. I don't think Sakurai is going to make it that obvious.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Most likely, there will just be a big FP7 in the center to indicate that is who will be revealed. I don't think Sakurai is going to make it that obvious.
i mean, sakuraui did put up 3 fingers for byleth, and "min min" was hidden in the arms fighter title words on the thumbnail

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

This is interesting. It has the original dates for the Mario Maker 2 Mario 35th Anniversary Ninji Speedrun as 4/14 at 7:00 pm PT – 4/21 at 7:00 pm PT.

So that would have put the original date for the Mario direct in either March or April, and not E3. That's quite a delay.
Yeah, back in April or May many people like NateDrake backed up a Mario Direct rumor. It's also the reason why stuff like like 3D All Stars or Mario Kart Live is gonna be released so soon (September 18th and October 16th). We alredy got the replacement of the Mario Direct. What is left is the E3 Direct
It better be called "Mr. Sakurai presents Challenger Pack 7", because if is called Mr Sakurai Presents ??? many people will be confused and if is Something Like Mr. Sakurai presents ??? 2 it will be just too weird

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So people believe there is going to be some news this week? Monday is Labor day so I doubt we'll get any news until after that.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So people believe there is going to be some news this week? Monday is Labor day so I doubt we'll get any news until after that.
If we're getting anything this week, I think Wednesday is our best bet. Direct announcements typically happen on Wednesdays for a reveal on Thursdays, and it would also line up with Fatman's predictive model based on Amiibo Theory.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Either Monday or Wednesday, I believe.
I doubt Monday specifically because of Labor day. Even if they don't do that in Japan NOA would. Even I am off on Labor day.

BTW I changed my avatar because I found out that Blastoise's tag team was my two favorite starters

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How long have you had your previous avatar for until now?
I dunno. I've used Overmind since 2006 though I switched it from SC1 to SC2 after it came out. I switch to something else every once in a while. Almost exclusively Blastoise

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
@BananaSlammer , your apology has some wonderful intentions, and I think you're a pretty rad dude, but here's the deal:

The people who spread libel and slander about the Starlight Foundation charity drive do not deserve your apologies.

Let me be perfectly goddamn clear. I may not lead OS anymore, but I do have input in decisions, and I 100% loved the Starlight Foundation idea. I helped greenlight it. Why? Because I, as someone who was once homeless and was a massive victim of poverty, thought it was a great opportunity to do some good. We'd be like literal Genos, granting the wishes of kids who are pleading to the stars for their hopes and dreams to come true. It has nothing to do with 'buying our way into Smash', especially because... how the literal hell would that even work? Oh yes, Sakurai saw our good deeds, which means there will be a corporate overhaul of any and all plans to make sure Geno is playable!! HAHAHA, give me a goddamn break.

I do not condone harassing these individuals, but there is nothing wrong with making them hold accountability. Foul actions will have foul consequences, and that is not the fault of our fan base. If they're the ones whining about doing good things for kids because of petty Smash beef, that is all on them. They do not deserve kindness and respect unless they own up to being terrible about the situation. If they ever did do that, do let me know, but as long as I'm in the realm of them having not done so, then the ire is completely justified. None of us are in the wrong. I don't give a damn if Geno gets in or not compared to the fact that we raised some good money for those kids, and we used OS not just for what we want, but also for a fantastic cause, something greater than any ol' campaign for a video game.

"But you're being harsh!"

So were they. In fact, the personally loaded accusations are ****ing hurtful. It's deeply hurtful. Oh, but no, we're supposed to just take it and shut up, being literal doormats. Sorry, but I'm not a doormat, and I won't apologize for holding people to their actions. Period.
There is a lot I personally want to say in regards to this, but I fear I would derail the thread...Just know that I stand in solidarity with you as an advocate for non profit charity against all manner of slander by the Bourgeoisie in the smash community (You know who they are)

They're going to hate us in a few short weeks or less, and I for one can't wait to watch them seethe at our happiness. Bless you and keep doing all you do.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So has anyone here ever watch Smash King? For those who haven't seen it in years, Tigura is currently doing a 2nd series that takes place in Ultimate called 2Decades. I can't wait to see Geno in that series because I know he will be in it at some point because we all know he is in. I wonder what his role would be in Smash King though.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

After everything is stabilized fully and things back to normal, I have a feeling that when Nintendo's various delays are discussed and reviewed that we will find out that most were not caused specifically by the virus.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
After everything is stabilized fully and things back to normal, I have a feeling that when Nintendo's various delays are discussed and reviewed that we will find out that most were not caused specifically by the virus.
Which will make them look worse, which they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom