• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
But wait, wait, WAIT! i still need to know: WHERE is the rumor COMING FROM and how certain is it? As certain as the Mario collection? Did the people who leaked this to the geno community have a reliable track record? I get that you and others kept it secret, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , but how credible is it? Im confused! Ahhh!
We don't know. Sharon is one of them, but outside of her, we honestly don't know. At this point, just don't get superhyped for it, because unlike Geno's inevitability, the SMRPG rumors are just that: Rumors. It's great it's being heard, but don't assume it's gonna happen. It's not as certain as the Mario stuff was at this point, at least not to my knowledge.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But wait, wait, WAIT! i still need to know: WHERE is the rumor COMING FROM and how certain is it? As certain as the Mario collection? Did the people who leaked this to the geno community have a reliable track record? I get that you and others kept it secret, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , but how credible is it? Im confused! Ahhh!
Pretty reliable people and obviously I can't name names because it's like 5 different insiders and none of them want it publicly blasted that they're insiders. One is one of my own contacts, obviously, and that's one of the two that gave me a "Christmas gift" last year.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
So, I guess the cat is out of the bag regarding the SMRPG Remake/Sequel rumors. As I've said in the past, I tend to not openly talk about things if they haven't gone public and with this, I was really, really hoping it was going to stay a secret until the big day but I guess that was a little too optimistic. Oh well... For something this potentially big, as little as 5 days until the payout has got to be a record. Like I said in my last post, it's collectively been a Geno fanbase secret since about April and I'm going to go into my history with it and how we got to this point. Obviously, I can't share absolutely everything but I wanted to give you all a clearer picture of this whole situation.

The story technically begins in December. I first made this public here back in December:

I then went into further explanation about this "Christmas Gift" in late January here:

smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2366#post-23817138

Up to this point, it was pretty easy to deduce what the three games were and one was very obviously SMRPG. I figured that they were simply teasing Geno in Smash and then something hard clicked in my brain in February... This contact didn't believe Geno was going to be playable in Smash so why the hell would he be teasing that? I made note of this but I didn't want to pry. This very obviously deduced a sequel or remake but there wasn't a lot of evidence supporting it at the time so I simply tucked it into my pocket.

Fast forward to April. Several members of the Geno community came across some pretty damning evidence that, at the very least, a SMRPG Remake was likely coming. Maybe like 5 people were trusted with this information at the time. By June, this evidence snowballed to the point that several dozen people in the Geno community were trusted with this information. It was pretty simple, if someone leaked it, they were pretty much going to be hard punted from the community and, miraculously, literally everyone respected that. On my end of things, there's a number of things that pointed to this being true such as the Square spirit events, Mario and Square Smash Amiibo being rereleased together in September, SMRPG being missing from the NSO, etc. There was already a ton supporting Geno for Smash and then this started pouring in. Several notable people not connected with the Geno community reached out to me in July backing that they had heard the SMRPG Remakes rumors from their camps as well, turning what was Mount Everest into Mount Olympus.

From there, I've subtly been teasing it for months now with surprisingly no one catching on. Here are some of my more obnoxious teases on the topic:

So, long story short, the SMRPG remake/sequel rumor has technically existed for close 10 months on my end so this all didn't magically appear out of nowhere. As shown, there's a hell of a lot of substance to it and the rest of the Board of Elders and I were really hoping to surprise you all with it but, as the French say "Queso Syran Wrap, Syran Wrap" or whatever. I guess it was kind of naive given how Banjo was hard spoiled before his reveal and most people didn't believe it until he big ****in' goofy face "guh huh'd" in HD on their computer screens so I imagine that this is basically the same. SMRPG remake/sequel is pretty likely aaaaaaaaaaaaaand probably how Nintendo convinced Square to let Geno into Smash because Square is pretty yum-yum-eat-em-up when it comes DLC and wanting to hard advertise their own games. Just wanted to clear this all up and, once again, I wanted to personally thank the Geno community and my own personal confidants for keeping this a secret for so long. You guys rock and now I hope more of you understand why I've been so hard optimistic about Geno this entire year.
In reference to the three super Nintendo games, I'm assuming now that they are DKC, All Stars and Mario RPG. We still don't know what is happening with Donkey Kong or RPG, but we have rumors of both. All Stars clearly is tied to the new 3D All-Stars. sound accurate to you Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In reference to the three super Nintendo games, I'm assuming now that they are DKC, All Stars and Mario RPG. We still don't know what is happening with Donkey Kong or RPG, but we have rumors of both. All Stars clearly is tied to the new 3D All-Stars. sound accurate to you Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?
Not All Stars and leave it at that. As always, to everyone reading, even if you think you know and say it out loud, your mom's a hoe.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Not All Stars and leave it at that. As always, to everyone reading, even if you think you know and say it out loud, your mom's a hoe.
Oh... Hoe...hoe... I get it, it's Harvest Moon! Everybody's favorite first party Nintendo IP!

and to whoever said it earlier in the thread, secret butt fun I thought was 2B...

Edit: Just hit me what it was. I'm such a dense moron sometimes lol I already thought it was on the service for some reason:ultness:

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Pretty reliable people and obviously I can't name names because it's like 5 different insiders and none of them want it publicly blasted that they're insiders. One is one of my own contacts, obviously, and that's one of the two that gave me a "Christmas gift" last year.
Oh.

Oh god...

Oh God!

Oh GOD!!

OH GOD!!!!

IT MIGHT ACTUALLY BE F*CKING HAPPENING!?!?!?!

BUT...DIDN'T YOU SAY IT WAS TOO EARLY FOR FROGFUSCIOUS IS F**IN PISS-----FATMAN, YOU SLY DOG! O.O

Holy christ, There's a chance! THERE'S A CHANCE!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Like the notorious The Emperor's New Groove meme says, "it's all coming together". What was first seen as a strange omission from the SNES NSO library with expectations of it being added in the near future, it could have most likely been that it was always meant to return as a resurrected masterpiece, or as the long (VERY long) awaited true sequel to the original classic (as I mentioned in a previous post, something that would symbolize the true reconciliation between Nintendo and Square Enix). If this game... if this unprecedented happenstance... if we see a Super Mario RPG game, whether it be a remaster to the original, or a sequel, AND the announcement of Geno being CP 7 for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Nintendo will have made a Godlike play that unfortunately not many will grasp its significance. I'm not gonna lie, I wish to know more of what has been rumored and from where it came from. Peace cometh.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Ok, I will say this. Back between September-January when we knew that more DLC was happening I thought Geno had like 60-70% chances. When we knew how would FP2 work I think he had like 75%. When we find that an Arms Rep was happening I think 80-90%. That was when I really say to myself "I would be REALLY suprised if Geno isn't in". When we found that Min-Min would be one. I feel 90-95%. When Khan, Grubb or Segards made SMRPG Jokes I was 95-100%. But Now, with 2 SE Spirit events, One of TOK, The GameStop stuff and these SMRPG Sequel or Remake rumors I am happy to say that I am 100% sure that Geno is happening. And trust me, when I sure of something, is because is happening:

-How they were cut only for 3DS problems, I was sure that Ice Climbers will return
-When I saw Splatoon content in MK8D and ACPC I was sure that Inkling will be in Smash 5
-The 3 potential echoes who came to my mind were Shadow, Ken and Dark Samus. Even shadow still an AT
-I always believed Vergeben words of Simon
-I really think that K. Rool was more likely whem Ridley happened
-When I noticed how she is the face of AC, I knew that Isabelle would be in
-When I saw how Nintendo was Shilling DQ11 I knew that Erdrick will be in
-I knew that the Banjo messages of Verge and Shinobi were Clues that Banjo would be in
-Even I would preferred Kyo Kusanagi or Marco Rossi I always knew that the SNK Rep would be Terry
-When I saw how the 3H Spirits were MIA I knew that Byleth was happening
-I always expect either Just Min-Min or a Hero situation for the Arms Rep
We are near to the end Genogang. We are near. The only thing left is wait

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
However, I still question the logic where the game requires a remake before a sequel. That makes zero sense to me because it's hardly a necessary thing. Imagine that logic applied to anything else?
Remake = given more awareness to the OG that isn´t exactly world wide know -> sequel get´s more attention thanks to the remake. I´m not saying that it is a requirement, but it is the smartest business move to do so.

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
Hold up- not to be a negative nancy, but skimming over your “Christmas gift” Rumors from that first post, weren’t they all incorrect?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean, it could all be a hard bamboozle but I seriously doubt it. As I've been saying forever, the evidence for Geno in Smash has been stacked for a long time and then this came crashing down like a meteor in December 2019 and filled in the blanks for a number of things like why would Square allow Geno if they kicked and screamed about Cloud coming back? If the remake/sequel rumor is bunk in the end, there's still the super high prospects of Geno in Smash anyways which is why I've been collectively telling detractors "Omae wa mou shindeiru" since last fall.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Outside of everything else people are saying right now, I still want to point out once again a couple things that happened since Ultimate's release that would be in the favor of a Mario RPG revival

1. Alpha Dream went under and Nintendo didn't save them
  2. Nintendo renewed the Mario and Luigi IP but we don't know what for
  3. Paper Mario is now confirmed to be its own thing. Tanabe said that they would leave the RPG elements to other Mario games
  4. Square saying they wanted to revisit more of their old titles for remakes
  5. The Ubisoft produced Mario rabbids game has sold insanely well, like ridiculously well. Also should mention Miyamoto and Nintendo absolutely loved it and gave Ubisoft a huge blessing to do whatever they wanted because the game looked so good to them. This kills the speculation that Nintendo treats the Mario IP as sacrosanct 100% of the time
  6. Piranha plant in general has a few RPG references like its classic mode clear screen and Palutena guidance
  7. The simple fact alone that both Geno and Mallow are spirits, and Geno is a player icon as well
I don't think these things honestly get brought up enough. I'm completely ignoring all the other things people normally say, like the copyright strikes or supposed insiders dropping hints. These things right there absolutely should be considered more often because when you consider them all together they start to fit into a narrative

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Makes a lot of sense if the Mario RPG posting from Grubb was because he heard a remake as well. A remake kinda brings all the weird stuff surrounding Mario RPG for the last few years together

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hold up- not to be a negative nancy, but skimming over your “Christmas gift” Rumors from that first post, weren’t they all incorrect?
I got two from two different sources:

1. At least three "missing SNES NSO games" would likely be tied to major E3 2020 announcements.

2. Fire Emblem Three Houses spirits, Mii costumes, and a stage were coming but thanks to a massive misunderstanding likely due to language differences, the "Mii costumes" were actually Byleth's ALTs in the end. This contact also believed these things would be a la carte or with an unrelated character because, ironically, they hadn't heard Byleth as a playable character.

StarMagician

Smash Cadet
I am always going to be very reluctant to buy into rumours like these. "Too good to be true" doesn't even begin to describe it. But hopefully, with more time, more industry insiders will side with Fatman and his folks on this one.
Please, let this one be true.

1. Paper Mario is now confirmed to be its own thing. Tanabe said that they would leave the RPG elements to other Mario games
Source on this quote?

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Tin foil theory

Square and Nintendo reached an agreement on a Mario RPG remake/sequel late 2018 which included Geno making an appearance in Smash Bros

Would explain the “Water cooler talk rumors” from the NOA Ambassador back in late 2018/early 2019 as well as his appearance on the 7 Squares memo. If a remake/sequel is coming and was planned to be showed off in E3 2020 then it probably already was in development for a decent amount of time

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I am always going to be very reluctant to buy into rumours like these. "Too good to be true" doesn't even begin to describe it. But hopefully, with more time, more industry insiders will side with Fatman and his folks on this one.
Please, let this one be true.

Source on this quote?

It's implied that Nintendo doesn't want two concurrent Mario RPG series and that's why they've moved the Paper Mario games into more action adventure titles. With Mario and Luigi now gone, it stands to reason that there is a void to be filled. tanabe even says in the interview that they may go back to the RPG style for Paper Mario in the future, but for the time being it's not considered an RPG series anymore

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This basically describes my entire mood right now.

Get accused of being pathological liar resulting in extreme harassment that a good chunk of the Smash community justified.
Finally allowed to play one of my hands after 10 months of holding onto it.
Stuff I've been saying most of this year finally clicks for most people.

2o380o.jpg

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if this info was from april, how long would you say nintendo have been quiet on this and do we have a timeline of evidence pointing to this being in the works even before you heard of it, perhaps?

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I got two from two different sources:

1. At least three "missing SNES NSO games" would likely be tied to major E3 2020 announcements.

2. Fire Emblem Three Houses spirits, Mii costumes, and a stage were coming but thanks to a massive misunderstanding likely due to language differences, the "Mii costumes" were actually Byleth's ALTs in the end. This contact also believed these things would be a la carte or with an unrelated character because, ironically, they hadn't heard Byleth as a playable character.
I think it's things like this are why people should give more credence to what rumors you discuss. Even when things don't pan out 100% there's still some kernel of truth even if it's warped due to a mistranslation or misunderstanding which makes sense considering you're basically playing telephone between you and the actual source of insider information. It's like with the Terry spirits. You got them all right but you initially thought the list was for mii costumes not spirits. And like how you reported the Byleth Alts and FE stage way beforehand even though you thought FP5 was going to be Dragonborn. That just seems more worth listening to than some people who fall for easy bait or just blatantly make things up.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Remake = given more awareness to the OG that isn´t exactly world wide know -> sequel get´s more attention thanks to the remake. I´m not saying that it is a requirement, but it is the smartest business move to do so.
Ok, now I get what you're saying.

Although, I don't agree on a remake being the smartest business decision. I think they should put SMRPG on the NSO, put Geno in Smash, and then announce SMRPG2. People get to play Geno in Smash and become curious to see where he comes from, play his game for free to try it out (As long as they have NSO), and if people like the original game they'll be more likely to buy the sequel.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if this info was from april, how long would you say nintendo have been quiet on this and do we have a timeline of evidence pointing to this being in the works even before you heard of it, perhaps?
Well:

-Thanks to the Seven Squares leak, we know that Geno was in official Square Enix memos as far back as the summer of 2018.

-Geno in Smash been in insider circles since 2018 as well.

Those are two of the big things.

MattX20

Smash Hero
To kill some time for the wait for FP7's reveal, I've bought and have been playing Bug Fables to get my Super Mario RPG-like fix. I can see why people are so fond of it

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, if a Direct is soon? Why do these September Directs seem to happen around this time? I ask because I am always away at another place, and I am going to another U.S. state next week.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, yeah, if Geno wasn't already likely, the likely prospect of a SMRPG remake/sequel adds a whole other dimension to it. Fun stuff. Also, it's now just yet another bullet point for stuff that has come up this summer alone:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, yeah, if Geno wasn't already likely, the likely prospect of a SMRPG remake/sequel adds a whole other dimension to it. Fun stuff. Also, it's now just yet another bullet point for stuff that has come up this summer alone:

I am not sure if a Geno reveal is directly tied to a Mario RPG game...

But our boy could be coming, nonetheless.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I am not sure if a Geno reveal is directly tied to a Mario RPG game...

But our boy could be coming, nonetheless.
I keep seeing people in the Newcomer thread saying that characters like Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi, and Dixie Kong aren't happening because there's no game for them to promote like with Byleth and Three Houses... which is a flawed point that I heavily disagree with, but even if it's true, then that means a potential Super Mario RPG remake/sequel is nothing but helpful for Geno's chances. If fan demand isn't enough for some reason, then how about a brand spankin' new game that Geno in Smash could help promote?

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
It seems like the Direct website was updated again today
View attachment 284598
Are we in the home stretch?
So... Geno rumors bursting from behind the walls, Kool-Aid Man style and Direct website updating...

Are we thinking a reveal for Smash fighter 7 could be coming as soon as this next coming week? Like... is that a possibilitiy or should we "pipe down before your mother comes in here and slaps you with her rolling pin, and NOT the little one" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom