• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
7 fighters you say? Potential evidence for a bonus 7th fighter?

View attachment 263353
I'm convinced we will get ONE echo fighter at least. I'm willing to photoshop an L geno hat on my avatar if I'm wrong, but then the Squad Strike screen would look lopsided with the Mii Brawler being separated from the other two. I just don't think they'll allow that. We're getting ONE, or FOUR echoes, or Season 3 (which is not likely right now)

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
It's crazy to think the character select screen now looks like one of those old fake fan made character select screens with a **** ton of characters that mostly looked like pipedreams lol!

Who would have imagine we have gotten this far in Smash in terms of numbers.
And even still.. There is always room for improvement! :p

Ultimate Roster.png

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The more I think about it, the more I like having Bowser's Keep and Exor in the background of a giant forest maze like level. I always want to imagine Exor looms over the entire world throughout the game

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Maybe this question was answered before, but here I go...
Who actually created Geno? Who's the individual that made Geno? Thanks!
Funny you should ask this because there have been efforts in the past to track down both of his creators. The people generally accredited for him are: Kiyofumi Kato and Yuko Hatae. The first hasn't been involved in anything major since the early 2000's and the second is still a big team member of Square Enix with his latest game being Kingdom Hearts III.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I would personally prefer Lloyd over Yuri for two reasons:

1) A duel-wielding sword style would be more interesting than yet another single-style.

2) Lloyd's outfit/hair look way cooler and less androgynous. Fite me.
Yes to both. Also:

3) Lloyd is way more recognized and liked over Yuri.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Funny you should ask this because there have been efforts in the past to track down both of his creators. The people generally accredited for him are: Kiyofumi Kato and Yuko Hatae. The first hasn't been involved in anything major since the early 2000's and the second is still a big team member of Square Enix with his latest game being Kingdom Hearts III.
Thanks for the response, I totally appreciate it!

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
I'm convinced we will get ONE echo fighter at least. I'm willing to photoshop an L geno hat on my avatar if I'm wrong, but then the Squad Strike screen would look lopsided with the Mii Brawler being separated from the other two. I just don't think they'll allow that. We're getting ONE, or FOUR echoes, or Season 3 (which is not likely right now)
Nah, I think it’s much more likely Nintendo doesn’t care about how the CSS looks. It makes no sense to add another character just to make the CSS slightly more aesthetically pleasing, even if they’re an echo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Heard anything on the inside about bonus characters? Waluigi or Geno would fill that slot nicely. I was always surprised we never got a Plant 2 for the second Fighter’s Pass
Just the fact that almost everyone thought "6" was going to be a bonus/Plant 2: Electric Boogaloo tacked on to the end of the Fighter's Pass or the beginning of Season 2. Like I've been saying for awhile now, getting information on 6 has been ridiculously hard which is why almost no one is on the same page on who it is and, once again, making educated guesses. Is it Ryu? Is it Crash? Is it it Geno? Is it Your Mom? Who knows...

On the topic of a "bonus", only thing that's ever come up is that one rumor of an Iwata tribute supposedly coming from the Japanese Nintendo offices but literally one of my contacts has heard this and pushed this idea to people they talk to. That said, it's not like there's a legion of people supporting it but it's an interesting thought and why I bother sharing it. There's also the fact that it's pretty vague and probably wouldn't come to fruition for another year if true anyways so I further don't see the harm in bringing it up.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I was watching one of the recent PapaGenos videos, and something came up that has me wondering what it might indicate as far as the chances of Geno appearing. In the leadup to Banjo's appearance, we started seeing a lot more merchandise than was typically normal begin showing up in unexpected places. A good handful were speculating if this was an indication that Banjo was potentially in the running for something big, whether it was an upcoming remake of some kind, or a major appearance in Smash Brothers. And, lo & behold, he ended up being a fighter! So, that was a trail worth paying attention to.

Papa also brought up that apparently Shantae was starting to get some new merchandise popping up here and there, which almost seems like a repeat performance, although I know Shantae's also got a new game coming up in the future, so that's all that could really be for. But, that's still interesting.

That said, this is where my thought process is going.

Is it worth being concerned over the fact that, going into a new Fighter's Pass for 2020, we certainly have not seen anything in relation to Geno as far as merchandising goes? Like; Is that a gauge worth looking at, in regards to which characters seem to be likely to appear? Because, now, putting this thought process into perspective, there's a few different directions this could go;

1 - Geno has been considered for a spot, but to put out merchandise would make that too obvious, therefore, unlikely.
2 - Geno has not been considered for a spot, and thus, we can't expect any merchandise to herald such a thing as a Smash appearance
3 - Merch is possible, but could potentially only relate to a reappearance of the initial game from which he originated, and thus, means nothing for Smash (this one is tricky, because if SMRPG was to be promoted, it would probably make more sense to do stuff for the game as a whole versus just Geno individually, so, hm.)

I guess I would like to know what you think about this, too, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice - Do you think the lack of merch has any bearing on whether or not Geno has a favorable chance in the upcoming Fighter's Pass? As in, does Merchandise necessarily lay out the path for a character to be """relevant""" in time for their appointed reveal and release?
Joker, Hero and Terry didn't have new merch made in the lead up to them getting in, so I don't think this really means anything.

Same. Wanted KKR too but that ship has already sailed...
I consider myself rather lucky to have gotten a Roy amiibo back during the Smash 4 days. :ultroy:

I would personally prefer Lloyd over Yuri for two reasons:

1) A duel-wielding sword style would be more interesting than yet another single-style.

2) Lloyd's outfit/hair look way cooler and less androgynous. Fite me.
I'm probably alone on this, but I'd rather have Luke from Abyss.

Nah, I think it’s much more likely Nintendo doesn’t care about how the CSS looks. It makes no sense to add another character just to make the CSS slightly more aesthetically pleasing, even if they’re an echo.
Exactly. I mean, these are the same people who gave us the amazingly organized fighter selection screen for Smash 4, after all... :ultpacman:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
It's crazy to think the character select screen now looks like one of those old fake fan made character select screens with a **** ton of characters that mostly looked like pipedreams lol!

Real talk, when I was a wee lad, I used to think that this mega-roster was completely real.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
6 challenger packs + 4 bonus Echoes

Shadow, Medusa, Ms. PAC-MAN, and Boshi.

Firox

Smash Master
My mom doesn't even know who Link is, much less names like "Ryu", "Corrin", "Chrom", or "Mr. Game and Watch", so I doubt she'd get in.
LOL My mom thinks she's the **** because she knows who Pikachu and Yoshi are. Such an adorable creature. She's hip and down "with the kids".

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Just the fact that almost everyone thought "6" was going to be a bonus/Plant 2: Electric Boogaloo tacked on to the end of the Fighter's Pass or the beginning of Season 2. Like I've been saying for awhile now, getting information on 6 has been ridiculously hard which is why almost no one is on the same page on who it is and, once again, making educated guesses. Is it Ryu? Is it Crash? Is it it Geno? Is it Your Mom? Who knows...

On the topic of a "bonus", only thing that's ever come up is that one rumor of an Iwata tribute supposedly coming from the Japanese Nintendo offices but literally one of my contacts has heard this and pushed this idea to people they talk to. That said, it's not like there's a legion of people supporting it but it's an interesting thought and why I bother sharing it. There's also the fact that it's pretty vague and probably wouldn't come to fruition for another year if true anyways so I further don't see the harm in bringing it up.
I mean, there are 4 spaces left after the 2nd fighters pass. The say “this is all you’re getting” right now, but I feel decisions can change later, so a “Bonus Character Dedicated to Iwata” isn’t out of the realm of possibilities...

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

Just realized that Zelda has like 20 (mostly useless) reps in this pic, while FE is stuck with Marth and Roy.

Oh the irony, also the speculation scene pre-Brawl was really weird.

Firox

Smash Master
also the speculation scene pre-Brawl was really weird.
True dat. It was definitely the age of "anything goes". The concept of "fan rules" was pretty much non-existent, though this let to a crap-ton of completely unfounded speculation. I also feel like the newcomer additions Pre-Brawl were fairly haphazard as well.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Not to rain on anyone's parade per say, but this is restocking of amiibos yes? Hasn't the release of a new finder coincide with NEW amiibo release? Did older ones get a restocking during the time of new releases?

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Wha? Does it further the idea that character 6 is first party?

I was thinking that if amiibo release pattern was still in play that this means that 6 is coming out in April.
Most likely on Wapril fools day...

No...

I'll see myself out

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to rain on anyone's parade per say, but this is restocking of amiibos yes? Hasn't the release of a new finder coincide with NEW amiibo release? Did older ones get a restocking during the time of new releases?
Yes. Smash 4 Amiibo were rereleased along side new Smash Ultimate Amiibo. Also, a potential boon to the Iwata tribute rumor:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3554...brates-its-40th-anniversary-special-artwork-a

Hal celebrates 40 years this year and even has an official website now to celebrate this.

D

Deleted member

Animal Crossing Direct was solid. Really enjoyed how you can customize the island into what you want it to be, and slowly but surely get other Villagers and different items to expand it. Best direct so far sold me on the game. Will get it eventually.

Far as The Bandai Namco character I hope it’s Lloyd. If it’s Heihachi that’s fine.

If Geno isn’t in I’ll be disappointed but move on. Still supporting him that won’t change. I’m sure fighters pass 2 will be solid and will still enjoy it even if he’s not in. You dig? Good!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wha? Does it further the idea that character 6 is first party?

I was thinking that if amiibo release pattern was still in play that this means that 6 is coming out in April.
Not necessarily that 6 will be first party but that the next wave of new Amiibo will be in April. Our Amiibo waves last year we're in February (Plant), April (Joker), July (Hero), September (Banjo), November (Terry), and then January (Byleth) this year. "Amiibo Theory" has been 100% consistent so far so it stands to reason that 6 will be released in April, just like we've theorized.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Yep. When a new wave came out, there would be restocking of 2 or 3 previous ones (..................which were mostly the FE ones...........) Nintendo just didn't announce the restocks along with the new ones.

And K Rool, Isabelle and Plant were notoriously limited in their first runs. Pokemon went in the opposite direction and made too many.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Vector Victor Vector Victor Also, kudos to you for bringing this to our attention because it's even more ammunition for our release structure theory:

-DLC characters can be announced as early as four months out but typically only about two (only Mewtwo, Plant, and Joker were announced more than two months out).

-These remaining two months are typically for the sake of "polish."

-"6" was likely in a presentable stage in January if Byleth was presentable in November, Terry in September, etc.

-If an Amiibo wave is due out in April, this implies a February Direct to go along with this "two month" pattern. In other words, this gives credence to Zippo being right all along and a """"""""""surprise"""""""""" Direct this coming week.

Today is a good day and these may be the biggest hints yet that the drought has less than a week left.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Vector Victor Vector Victor Also, kudos to you for bringing this to our attention because it's even more ammunition for our release structure theory:

-DLC characters can be announced as early as four months out but typically only about two (only Mewtwo, Plant, and Joker were announced more than two months out).

-"6" was likely in a presentable stage in January if Byleth was presentable in November, Terry in September, etc.

-If an Amiibo wave is due out in April, this implies a February Direct to go along with this "two month" pattern. In other words, this gives credence to Zippo being right all along and a """"""""""surprise"""""""""" Direct this coming week.

Today is a good day and these may be the biggest hints yet that the drought has less than a week left.
Time to see who will be announced! Pretty excited for this first one for many reasons. Mainly, no one seems to be able to agree on who it is. And, well, it would be assumed it would be a "big" reveal since they are also trying to sell more of the Fighter Pass Vol. 2.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Thanks for all that explanation about restocking and all, it does all make sense.

Things are lining up. Could there be a General Direct this month then as Zippo mentioned? It could happen since it really follows the pattern of DLC (After Joker) about a 2 month period of announcing and releasing.

Neat.

Go Geno.

Also, the date is 4/17 on Best Buy, so it could be a two week period surrounding that date. Cool.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Hooray, I saved the day! .......somehow!

Plus, they have to announce their DLC amiibos at some point. It's been over a year since Joker. I could see them releasing one DLC amiibo along with several restocks every couple of months, just to extend it out. Or give alt amiibos to Joker/Hero/Byleth and really drag this out. So expect Geno's amiibo released in 8 years.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Why is Banjo the only one missing on here?
So glad you said something. In that roster maker you can accidentally place squares over other squares and I must've done that to him on accident. :p I had him over Duck Hunt Dog which I also must have misplaced. There we go. I'd prefer Steve be a Mii anyway.

Ultimate Roster.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom