• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I don¨t believe for a second that there will be a "Smash 6"... Their biggest target audience (the casuals) will never buy a game that is even third the seize of Ultimate. If they wanted to "streamline" the franchise, they should have done it now with this entry instead of Ultimate and not afterward. A franchise like Ultimate ain¨t the same as let say as a movie franchise.

What I mean by that, its this

Endgame is the biggest MCU movie that Marvel is able to bring to the table. We might get something on a similar scale, but it will never be the same because it was the end of the "first big story arc" (the infinity stone). The reason why they now can go back to some smaller-scale movies such as Spiderman Homecoming, and upcoming Black Widow, etc, because they want to continue to follow the characters and what happens next. With Ultimate, we have the biggest of them all when it comes to videogame crossover... and these "smaller movies" isn¨t the same as follow characters in a movie franchise. People would see it as equal buck for far less.

You get what I¨m saying or does it just sound like I¨m rambling?
Actually, imagine if we change the "smaller-scale" movies to making the Smash crossover go into other genres, even though we would have less than Ultimate no matter what, maybe even using the approach mentioned above:
- I always was one to predict a Smash-like amiibo RPG similar to the Project x Zone when amiibos were first revealed.
- Like I've seen people talk about a lot, time for a possible "Nintendo vs." with traditional 2D fighting style.
- Another possibility I've seen a lot is to open up Mario Kart to Smash Kart, although I would keep it as Mario Kart with rotating guests.
- Go the Kingdom Hearts route and make a action RPG going through Nintendo Worlds with some guests from time to time.
- Maybe make some more crossover spinoffs between Nintendo franchises: StarFox x F-Zero, Zelda x Xenoblade, Pikmin x Chibi-Robo, maybe even go make something crazy like Mario x Rabbids (oh wait). The possibilities are endless!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Polarthief Polarthief This is why I've been hard leaning into my Waluigi, Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief predictions since January. Even if your most wanted isn't on this list, there's a decent chance that one of these characters would make you lose your mind with hype. All six of these characters regularly qualify as "if they got added, they could add the Jolly Green Giant and the A&W Root Beer Bear afterwards for all I care" characters. Statistically speaking and my own experience in the Smash fanbase for eons, one of these characters is a Dream Pick ™ for a huge percentage of Smash fans. For example, the idea of Waluigi might make you want to run into a burning building with wooden underwear but Geno is someone you've wanted since you were like six years old. I think that's the method of compromise they're going to go with: 5 could make you projectile vomit with enough force to make you willingly fall backwards out a 10th story window but if 1 makes you cry uncontrollably with joy or pop off like a lemur on meth, then Nintendo will consider that a win.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
What do you guys think the chances are of them throwing in a couple of echoes? If they did 4 extra echoes at some point it would fill up the world of light slots and round out the character select screen. They wouldn't come with music, stages, or spirits, so they wouldn't take much effort. Imagine just getting Impa, Dixie, Medusa, and Kasumi or something as a bonus and having a perfect 9 by 10 screen.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Polarthief Polarthief This is why I've been hard leaning into my Waluigi, Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief predictions since January. Even if your most wanted isn't on this list, there's a decent chance that one of these characters would make you lose your mind with hype. All six of these characters regularly qualify as "if they got added, they could add the Jolly Green Giant and the A&W Root Beer Bear afterwards for all I care" characters. Statistically speaking and my own experience in the Smash fanbase for eons, one of these characters is a Dream Pick ™ for a huge percentage of Smash fans. For example, the idea of Waluigi might make you want to run into a burning building with wooden underwear but Geno is someone you've wanted since you were like six years old. I think that's the method of compromise they're going to go with: 5 could make you projectile vomit with enough force to make you willingly fall backwards out a 10th story window but if 1 makes you cry uncontrollably with joy or pop off like a lemur on meth, then Nintendo will consider that a win.
Saddly I dont want any of them so if they do happy, congrats to the fans but I wouldnt be able to feel any hype

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the no voice acting boat. They could have definitely given Mega Man a voice and opted not to, likely due to western fans historically hating every voice he's been given in almost all of his incarnations, and how while we know Bowser and DK can talk, no one wants Bowser to have his voice from Mario sunshine and no... well, maybe a few people want DK to have his voice from that awful CGI show from the 90s.
If DK shouted "Banana Slamma!" every time he went for a spike, that would be awesome

D

Deleted member

Saddly I dont want any of them so if they do happy, congrats to the fans but I wouldnt be able to feel any hype
>Geno
>Wouldn't be able to feel any hype

Look, I don't have anything against you, but if that's the case, why do you hang out with everyone at this table? Big lunch room, here.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'm in the no voice acting boat. They could have definitely given Mega Man a voice and opted not to, likely due to western fans historically hating every voice he's been given in almost all of his incarnations, and how while we know Bowser and DK can talk, no one wants Bowser to have his voice from Mario sunshine and no... well, maybe a few people want DK to have his voice from that awful CGI show from the 90s.
Mmm, Bowser and DK talk in half (or less) of their games though. Geno has talked in 2/2 (100%; 1/1 also 100% if you don't count Superstar Saga). I'm sure they could come up with a not-too-ridiculous voice. The problem with Bowser's voice from Sunshine is it doesn't sound remotely like what Bowser would sound like. DK's voice fits his character (the character in the show that is) perfectly. Hell even his not-exactly-voiced-but-still-making-noises voice from DK64 was also totally fine. I kinda wished Bowser would make more noises akin to his character like the roars and growls and stuff, but he does very little.

Polarthief Polarthief Polarthief Polarthief This is why I've been hard leaning into my Waluigi, Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief predictions since January. Even if your most wanted isn't on this list, there's a decent chance that one of these characters would make you lose your mind with hype.
I can't help but feel like Waluigi's too "new" despite the fan demand TBH, as in his fan demand is too new. Also not enough Japanese love on that list so idk.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Saddly I don't want any of them so if they do happy, congrats to the fans but I wouldn't be able to feel any hype
Well chances are most of those won't happen, but even if they did you could always take solace in knowing the roster could be way worse and that they tried to make as many people as happy as possible.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I'm a little sad about this most likely being the last 6 characters, however if we get Geno, and they throw in Crash, Master Chief along with Lloyd, Dante, and Waluigi then honestly, I think that's an extremely strong line up to end things on. Even if we got only half of these, I still think the line up would be great. So yeah, it's a bummer, but the potential characters we're getting make up for it. I'm more than excited to see what's in store, especially since Geno's chances are looking the best they have

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well chances are most of those won't happen, but even if they did you could always take solace in knowing the roster could be way worse
Yeah, we could have 6 more FE characters. ;)

New PapaGenos video, someone on discord claiming MandyCan is fake via the Twitter trick. Majority of the video isn't in regards to that though.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
>Geno
>Wouldn't be able to feel any hype

Look, I don't have anything against you, but if that's the case, why do you hang out with everyone at this table? Big lunch room, here.
I mean, I explained why several times, I support you but at this point im repeating myself
Well chances are most of those won't happen, but even if they did you could always take solace in knowing the roster could be way worse and that they tried to make as many people as happy as possible.
Yeah, I guess you can say thats the silver lining. I may or may not like the characters they pick but hey, at least some people are happy

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
So does the fact that Sakurai has been stressing Nintendo is picking the characters affect Geno’s chances? If this is the case, almost make it seem like the fact Sakurai wanted to use the character in previous titles isn’t really supporting argument for him anymore.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, with Sakurai confirming that these are the final 6, I guess it further drives in the nail that I've been warning about for awhile now and that the chances of double dipping for companies is extremely low. Once a company gets a new rep, that's GG for everyone else. Power of Six and Power of Two theories suggest 5 of these 6 companies are: Nintendo, Square Enix, Namco, Capcom, and Microsoft with the sixth being something totally new to Smash. As if things weren't tense enough, this further solidifies it. To make matters worse, I'm pretty sure we're going to know half by the end of E3 so now is probably the best time to question who you're backing and why and whether you'd be okay with them missing the boat.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
so now is probably the best time to question who you're backing and why and whether you'd be okay with them missing the boat.
Geno is the *only* character I'd be crushed over if he doesn't make it, and has the highest chance out of any of my other picks. If he doesn't get in but the rest of my (new) top 5 gets in, I'll be pretty happy but still upset Geno was left behind, but the odds of that happening are as close to 0 as possible. Like why the **** would an Advance Wars rep get in but not Geno, y'know?

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Now for a new topic: What would Geno's voice acting be like? He's by no means a silent protagonist, but he's never had a voiced line in the two games he's ever appeared in, so it makes me kinda wonder what an "official" voice for him would sound like.
Just gonna reiterate since this topic has been brought up before: I think they could go either way, either just keeping him silent or giving him an actual voice, and if they go with the latter, the three choices for voice actors I could picture voicing Geno would be...

-Keith Silverstein, who's already in the game as the voice of Simon Belmont, and I could picture him voicing Geno similar to the voice he used for Robert E. O. Speedwagon in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure dub...

-If they wanted to specifically give him a more "serious" deep voice, there's also Zach Aguilar, the voice of the cyborg Genos (heh) in the One-Punch Man dub...

-Speaking of One-Punch Man, there's also Max Mittelman, the voice of Saitama... and also the voice of Meruem the Chimera Ant King in the Hunter X Hunter dub, another "serious" voice I could easily picture coming from Geno...

Polarthief

Smash Lord
-Keith Silverstein, who's already in the game as the voice of Simon Belmont, and I could picture him voicing Geno similar to the voice he used for Robert E. O. Speedwagon in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure dub...
I do hope that if he is voiced, he gets a more carefree/not-too-serious voice but isn't to such a ridiculous degree because he's still on an important mission. Not that Speedwagon was that campy and out there, but I think you get what I'm saying. Geno is by no means a serious hardass in the game; he cracked plenty of jokes and quips, clearly enjoying his time on... ...whatever planet the Mushroom Kingdom resides on, but it was still clear he was still very serious about his mission of repairing the Star Road and getting Smithy the **** out of there.

Speedwagon's voice might be kinda close, but I think it should be a bit deeper and a touch more serious. You can hear in the clip posted when he's talking about Dio that he's still... I don't quite have the words for it; like he's serious but still relatively campy about it; something about how his voice is. Close, but not quite what I would expect.

That said, I don't mind the suggestion of Dende from DBZA that a few people said earlier as well, but I think he should be less serious than that. Same voice, less serious.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
To add to the topic of Geno's voice, the pronoun he uses in the original Japanese is "boku".

From TV Tropes:
僕 "I, a non-threatening man." An informal masculine pronoun more assertive than watashi but less so than ore, it's typically used by men who want to sound casual without coming across as rude or aggressive—for instance, it would be the normal pronoun for a man to use in an informal TV interview. It's also the default pronoun for young boys.
From Wikipedia:
Used by males of all ages; very often used by boys. Perceived as humble, but can also carry an undertone of "feeling young" when used by males of older age. Also used when casually giving deference; "servant" uses the same kanji (僕 shimobe). Can also be used as a second-person pronoun toward male children (English equivalent – "kid" or "squirt").
Here's 6 characters that use it: https://legendsoflocalization.com/personal-pronouns-in-japanese#boku

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Given today's updates from Sakurai, this definitely hits differently. Roughly 15 years since the Geno for Smash fanbase started, about 24 since Geno's last major playable appearance. Kind of hard to wrap your head around that after all this time, we may be a matter of months of reaching our goal. Well, definitely can't back down now. Let's finish things in style.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Once Challenger Six arrives in an announcement, the race for the remaining 5 open slots will begin. I wish you all good luck for the two year journey to finish the DLC trip

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Definitely says a lot at this point with Ultimate's DLC that if this were similar to Smash 4's DLC, it would be over right now with this first pass and we'd have the Geno Mii Costume by now. We have survived 5 rounds with still no sign of it anywhere. We're going beyond Smash 4's DLC duration and heading into probably our biggest shot at a Geno fighter yet. For me, Cloud's return into base roster and Dragon Quest's inclusion were stepping stones which will seal the deal for Geno's inclusion as a fighter if this is what it took for Geno to get in. There's definitely some anxiety brewing up for me right now, especially if this ends up being the final pass. Here's hoping this is finally it.

Good luck to all of us and to others for their dream fighters too.

T2by4

Smash Lord
What sucks is that we have one of the biggest risks going for us regarding Geno's fate. If Geno doesn't get in, we may not get another smash game for a VERY long time, and on top of that Square is never gonna use him again. Sakurai has been the only one bringing Geno back in any way he can.

If we lose this season pass, we could lose Geno forever.
1576203915161.jpg

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
*shakes hands holding a pair of dice*

Hooooo baby let's GET IT! I love me some ENDGAME scenario. :denzel:

Rolling out my wishes/predictions for the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 (yet again). NOTE: Character names are not in any particular order.

> Crash Bandicoot
> Dante
> Geno
> Doom Slayer
> Adol Christin
> Goemon

From these, I'd also be fine with the following exchanges:

> Master Chief for Doom Slayer
> Lloyd Irving for Adol Christin
> Pauline for either Adol Christin or Goemon
> Rayman for Goemon
> Klonoa for Goemon

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Regarding that post from Zippo about Nintendo being pissed, the post was edited to say "nvm" not long after I saw the screencap posted over on the Newcomer thread so the post I'm talking about is probably now out of date.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Uh, nope, it didn’t really have anything to do with gender studies, nor were any of my comments alluding to it. It was purely about proving that they are, in fact, separate characters, whether you want to believe that or not. Not sure why you’re trying to spin it into something else.
You are wrong because you are arguing semantics on a separate topic.

Fatman is arguing about individual character SLOTS in the game.

You are arguing about character uniqueness and personality, which has nothing to do with the argument.

Move on, and learn to understand the statement being made before you try to debate next time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I mean, I explained why several times, I support you but at this point im repeating myself
You consistently go off topic in this thread and have had multiple people call you out on it, yet nothing happens. I would hate to have mods get involved, but you are the perfect example of why this thread tends to not only get off topic but also the perfect example of people coming into the thread who have no real reason to be here and stick around anyway. Sure, you a benign unlike others who have done that, but you are very much borderline and you NEVER talk about GENO in the GENO SUPPORT THREAD! YOU DON'T EVEN WANT HIM IN!

There are general threads for a reason. Please join one of them and the next time you post here, make it about Geno.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I mentioned I wouldn't post again until after a Direct, and whaddya know, we get one announced but it has nothing to do with anything I care about. Not that it really matters all that much to me because I never expected more than an AC direct at most.

If you are wondering why I'm posting, it is because I see stupid crap like the above and my irritation from it flies to a point where I feel the need to call it out.

As for other stupid stuff I've seen on this thread recently:

~Zippo is not immediately right and there is no guarantee of a separate Direct next week. Leakers get one or two things right all the time, and then dis-the-****-appear because they were mostly wrong, and yet here we are still holding onto the words of people like Vergeben and Sabi. If they get something wrong, we move on, but if they get even the smallest things right we freak out and assume everything else they have said is gospel? Come on guys, keep it together.

~I like how Sakurai once again has stated that Nintendo basically has the ultimate say, but I'm also glad Sakurai has more pull. Why am I glad? Because not only is this what the formula should be, it's WHAT WE WERE ALWAYS TOLD IT WAS and what I have tried to tell you guys over and over again and yet people are out here calling Sakurai a liar. Now you have all been put to rest for good. The next person to call Sakurai a liar will be hanged...BY THE YARDARM! (It's a movie reference, not an actual threat mods. A joke, if you will, and points for the first to get the reference.)

~God, the flip-flop is SOOO hard here that you would think this was a board for politicians. So many people were SO sure that the 2021 date was just to keep themselves open and flexible for more content and that we would be very likely to get a Vol 3 for DLC, but now SUDDENLY Sakurai says 'There are currently no plans for DLC after Vol 2.' and magically everyone flips the switch and now this is the last of the DLC so GE no better make it now or we are doomed? Fun fact: Did you know there were no plans for an installment after Melee? Another fun fact: did you know there were no plans for another installment after Brawl? What about how there were no DLC plans originally for Smash 4, or for that matter for Ultimate? Who was the one who said there would be more DLC because they were too ahead of schedule while nearly everyone else said the were 'Just ahead of schedule, no need for a reason'? Who come up with the timeline behind it all and used that as proof for many things, but that also there were no original plans for Vol 2 until after the success of Vol 1 (which many of you agree on that it happened as soon as the announcement of the Fighter's Pass to as late as E3 with Hero and B&K, but regardless of when you think it happened you still believe it did)?

I hate to give myself good brain here because not only do I hate bragging but I'm also not very flexible, but the fact is I called that. Sure, others did too, but this board was very convinced at one point that Vol 1 was do or die...and yet we got more, despite it not being planned...yet suddenly, just because it's not planned for Vol 3 right now that Vol 2 is the end despite Smash having a history of getting more content than originally planned? Come on guys! I'm just asking for you all to think critically for a moment and to stop taking an extreme view every moment something comes up. Remember when CacoMallow was 'dead' because 'Doomguy is deconfirmed' despite us not knowing that 100% AND that CacoMallow doesn't need Doomguy being playable to be real and never did? You remember how so many of you got tricked by the Grinch Ruse?

Stop jerking your knees and slow down and think, that's all I'm asking. I hate coming in here and seeing people freak out or flip on stance on literally nothing to go on that actually changes the game because it's just nonstop with this. I end up repeating arguments and asking people to be reasonable and it gets old.

Or maybe I'm in the wrong and I just need a break. Who knows! IT'S A GODDAMN MYSTERY!!! Regardless, if I'm to commit to this absence, I'm going to need to actually not view this forum for a bit. I can't stay here and read things passively, it's not possible. I will take a small vacation.

I'm gonna go eat a burger now. Later guys.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Regarding that post from Zippo about Nintendo being pissed, the post was edited to say "nvm" not long after I saw the screencap posted over on the Newcomer thread so the post I'm talking about is probably now out of date.

To be fair, if I was Nintendo I would probably be super pissed about the Metroid and Paper Mario games getting out too. Both would have been huge announcements but were blasted over social media to the point that they were everywhere.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Can you imagine if Geno is the FINAL character for Smash. I'm talking if Smash Ultimate is the true final Smash game and nothing comes after and they make Geno the absolute last character. Imagine the SEETHING of Geno haters. Lmao
images (2).jpeg

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm still thinking we might still have a chance of Geno being FP6, he would still technically be the 7th DLC character overall after all. That, and if Cloud didn't need an E3 direct to be revealed, then neither does Geno frankly.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
From the Sakurai column:

"Nintendo proposes a fighter, and Sakurai receives the request. Nintendo and Sakurai then discuss with each other. If there's not an agreement on the character then it could be canceled, but it's never the case that a character would be canceled because of lack of ideas."

Interesting how he implies that characters aren't scrapped based on the moveset potential. Implies that its more of the "optics" of the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom