• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Geno, Bandana Waddle Dee & Isaac
I don't *really* care for Isaac, but I'd be happy with this outcome too. We need more Kirby characters and BWD technically originated in Kirby Super Star (the objectively best Kirby game), so I'd be down for that.

Also Isaac's cool I guess. I played one Golden Sun game and it was pretty neato (I would prefer SK or Waluigi for the AT promotion, personally).

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
WHY WOULD NINTENDO NOT ALLOW GENO TO BE A FIGHTER?!!

ARE THEY TOO ****ING CHEAP TO PAY SQUARE ENIX WHATEVER THEY WANT TO ADD HIM IN?!!!

IS SQUARE ENIX TOO ****ING STINGY WITH GENO TO ALLOW NINTENDO TO ADD HIM IN?!!?!?!?!

WHAT THE **** IS THE REASON FOR GENO'S EXCLUSION?!!
Okay Ghiaccio, settle down.

D

Deleted member

Or a more likely scenario is Sakurai wanted Geno to end FP1, but Nintendo wanted Byleth instead, so they pushed Geno to FP2. Or SE could just be *****, but I'm really hoping that's not the case and the former to be the more likely outcome.

*Potentially*. Zippo is currently spot on and I'm sacrificing a goat tonight* to pray to whatever deity I can that he's legit and I get PM3 and will be happy for quite a long time.

* No I'm not actually doing this, geez guys. I might be a weirdo furry but I'm not *that* weird.
If that’s the case, that may explain why Mandy’s source heard Geno before Byleth and Crash. But nonetheless, it’s hard to get the timing right for characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
People really shouldn't be disappointed with the fact that Season 2 is "The End™" especially when you consider:

-Smash 4 got about 10 months of DLC support. Ultimate is likely to get a minimum of two years.

-Smash 4 had three returning veterans and four original characters in DLC. Ultimate will have 12-13 original characters, literally the size of the original game's entire roster.

-Again, this game is going to have 23/24 newcomers when everything is said and done. That's a ****in' lot especially when you consider Melee's whole roster was technically 25/26.

-This game has already had a surreal amount of fanservice and Sakurai's probably going to turn this **** up to 11 and go into **** we thought would only ever be possible in MUGEN a decade ago.

-After 20 years of virgin sacrifices, we finally got characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo and this definitely won't be the end of Never Evers turning into "Coming Soon."

Again, as someone who has literally gotten gray hair in my timespan doing Smash speculation, this is probably the most satisfying a Smash game could ever wrap up and I do think that's entirely by design.
I like seeing more characters because I love this game so much. I don't want a new game. I'd be fine if they just added characters to this game for years and years and continue seeing Sakurai's amazing work. That would actually be easier than a new game, wouldn't it?

As an aside, I see the sentiment of Sakurai taking a break (and a fully justified one considering his hard work), but I have to wonder how this break plays out in video game development. He takes a break, so does that mean he doesn't get paid, is it a vacation, is it like the school system where he doesn't technically have a job for a period? Does he only get a paycheck if he's actively working on something?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Except for Byleth, who, in Japanese, has two different names and announcer calls, and has both names written on the website. Going by your logic, that makes them separate. You can’t choose to not count Byleth while simultaneously counting Hero. They are all separate characters, I’m not sure why their name supposedly makes a difference.

And for what it’s worth, most gender swap characters have two separate announcer calls in the files, even if they are the same name.
We've basically gotten to a point of arguing the significance of gender swaps for self inserts and that's just where my eyes start to glaze over. If I was gender swapped, yes, my name and personality would likely be different because of different cultural and sociological factors and... good lord... This was only supposed to be a neat hypothetical, not a basis for a thesis on gender studies... Let's just agree to disagree...

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If that’s the case, that may explain why Mandy’s source heard Geno before Byleth and Crash. But Nonetheless, it’s hard to get the timing right for characters.
It could have also been a last minute swap. Maybe there were complications with Geno and they needed more time with him than someone like Byleth. Byleth could have been #6 and nearly ready to go, but because they needed just a touch more time to finish them (as opposed to the amount required for Geno), Byleth was pushed all the way to late January and why we got nothing for all of November/December/most of January. Or Mandy's just full of ****, who knows? Regardless, there was a lot of weirdness surrounding Byleth to begin with, so it's my belief that they were never originally intended to be DLC 5. Who knows when the swap happened; maybe Mandy's source heard about the change pretty late. We have no idea.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It could have also been a last minute swap. Maybe there were complications with Geno and they needed more time with him than someone like Byleth. Byleth could have been #6 and nearly ready to go, but because they needed just a touch more time to finish them (as opposed to the amount required for Geno), Byleth was pushed all the way to late January and why we got nothing for all of November/December/most of January. Or Mandy's just full of ****, who knows? Regardless, there was a lot of weirdness surrounding Byleth to begin with, so it's my belief that they were never originally intended to be DLC 5. Who knows when the swap happened; maybe Mandy's source heard about the change pretty late. We have no idea.
IF we apply a character switch theory, then I say the most logical reason for Byleth being number 5 was due to the 3 Houses DLC reveal. I doubt they had issues finetuning Geno to then have to make a switch. Unless the problem was that Geno was too awesome.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
IF we apply a character switch theory, then I say the most logical reason for Byleth being number 5 was due to the 3 Houses DLC reveal. I doubt they had issues finetuning Geno to then have to make a switch. Unless the problem was that Geno was too awesome.
Could be that too. It could be a ton of reasons. Could be that Nintendo wanted to advertise Byleth a bit harder and pushing them in January would have been better than pushing them in late Feb/early March/possibly ****ing June now but hopefully not that late. Unless something is ever said, we simply won't know the reason. All we know is that there was weirdness surrounding Byleth.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
The world isn't ready for Geno, he's gonna need 30 years of testing to ensure his reliability because he's the first of a new generation of robots that can think, feel--oh wait that's X. Sorry.

Could be that too. It could be a ton of reasons. Could be that Nintendo wanted to advertise Byleth a bit harder and pushing them in January would have been better than pushing them in late Feb/early March/possibly ****ing June now but hopefully not that late. Unless something is ever said, we simply won't know the reason. All we know is that there was weirdness surrounding Byleth.
To me Byleth's trailer tells me he was supposed to be the surprise reveal in a Direct. It was just so awkward that you had to wait like 2 mins before Smash was mentioned yet you knew what was up from the get go. Pretty sure it was supposed to be a fakeout for the 3 Houses DLC or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, I think the odds are in our favor. Ignoring everything else, the fact that we're even seriously talking about Geno almost two years after Ultimate was formally announced is pretty significant in its own right. Think about all the fanbases that rose, fell, and hard died in that timespan and it's definitely a marvel that nothing has come up that has utterly swept the legs of hope for this fanbase aside from instances of us sikeing ourselves out.

D

Deleted member

WHY WOULD NINTENDO NOT ALLOW GENO TO BE A FIGHTER?!!

ARE THEY TOO ****ING CHEAP TO PAY SQUARE ENIX WHATEVER THEY WANT TO ADD HIM IN?!!!

IS SQUARE ENIX TOO ****ING STINGY WITH GENO TO ALLOW NINTENDO TO ADD HIM IN?!!?!?!?!

WHAT THE **** IS THE REASON FOR GENO'S EXCLUSION?!!
Why did you quote my post from like a month ago?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just remember to not get triggered once certain Smash News appears.

Again, we are all in the same boat with speculation and theories since Challenger 6 for FP season 2 has yet to show him/herself yet.
Screenshot_20200116-085356_YouTube.jpg

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
We've basically gotten to a point of arguing the significance of gender swaps for self inserts and that's just where my eyes start to glaze over. If I was gender swapped, yes, my name and personality would likely be different because of different cultural and sociological factors and... good lord... This was only supposed to be a neat hypothetical, not a basis for a thesis on gender studies... Let's just agree to disagree...
Uh, nope, it didn’t really have anything to do with gender studies, nor were any of my comments alluding to it. It was purely about proving that they are, in fact, separate characters, whether you want to believe that or not. Not sure why you’re trying to spin it into something else.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I have a feeling this pass will follow the similar "pattern" or direction of the last pass ... so it's a mix bag for me. Oye.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman

If they're just really extra additions, doesn't that mean they're outside the initial plan that ended with Byleth, which means even if they have spirits/assists, basically they said 'screw it, just add him/her' for the fans? This might bode well.
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice what's your take cap'n?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
LOL

I just found out that I'm a Marvel villain
Honestly, I've come to appreciate your posts so much on here.

>Geno thread locked in some inane bull**** debate.

You out of nowhere disrupting the mood for the better: "You know what kind of chips Geno would like? Probably Funonions. Seems like something he'd like lol."

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Idk about tracking all these hints or making too many speculative guesses about what goes on at Nintendo but they held off Geno's Mii costume for a reason. Whether that means they're upgrading it to a full fighter or to a fully loaded Mii costume like Sans or Cuphead, who really knows. But there is almost definitely going to be more Square Enix content and I'm struggling to think of who else they could even add that wouldn't be already part of Final Fantasy if it's not Super Mario RPG content.

TriggerX

Smash Ace

If they're just really extra additions, doesn't that mean they're outside the initial plan that ended with Byleth, which means even if they have spirits/assists, basically they said 'screw it, just add him/her' for the fans? This might bode well.
IDK, I'm not a big fan of Push Dustin's posts myself. Seems like most of the time specific quotes are posted out of context. I'd look up additional translations personally, because I think that line is given too much attention than what it deserves.

As a side note, it does almost seem like Sakurai is trying to further distance himself with some of the choices for the roster.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Uh, nope, it didn’t really have anything to do with gender studies, nor were any of my comments alluding to it. It was purely about proving that they are, in fact, separate characters, whether you want to believe that or not. Not sure why you’re trying to spin it into something else.
A byleth is a byleth is a Corrin, my friend. The gender swap available in game is purely for cosmetic purposes and the story doesn't really change based on the gender as far as I can tell. The only reason Dr. Mario counts as a separate character in this instance is because he's literally a separate selectable character and not a costume.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...if Geno's reveal trailer is a follow up, would it be to Rosalina's from 4 or one of the other Ultimate newcomer trailers like Banjo was for K. Rool?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Same argument I've literally been making since August, everything has been pointing to Season 2 being fanservicey to a ridiculous degree. Obviously not everyone is going to be happy in the end but, like you said, there's definitely an air of "**** it, I don't even want them but I know the fans will love them." For example, whether they choose Sora or Geno, Master Chief or Steve, Heihachi or Lloyd, etc, huge swaths of the fanbase are probably going to be pumped for most of these picks.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
There's just something quite odd that makes me think Byleth wasn't our original 5 and was made fighter 5 later on. I'm not sure if he was ever planned to be 6 and I personally think it's unlikely. FP2 adds one extra fighter for some reason, Byleth's assets were off, his trailer seemed like it was meant for a general direct, the general "let's get this outta the way" attitude that it was felt like was taken to him, etc, it really does feel fishy as to what the hell was going on there. I have trouble believing they'd ever think starting pass 2 off with another FE character was a good idea, but I really have been thinking reveals and releases got swapped around. Maybe I'm just crazy (Let's face it, I definitely am) but I think Geno was supposed to be FP5 initially and he got pushed back for God knows why.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Same argument I've literally been making since August, everything has been pointing to Season 2 being fanservicey to a ridiculous degree. Obviously not everyone is going to be happy in the end but, like you said, there's definitely an air of "**** it, I don't even want them but I know the fans will love them." For example, whether they choose Sora or Geno, Master Chief or Steve, Heihachi or Lloyd, etc, huge swaths of the fanbase are probably going to be pumped for most of these picks.
If we get Geno, I'll be more than satisfied. If we get additional characters I'm down for like Lloyd, Phoenix Wright, etc, that's just extra gravy to get hype for. Bonus points if they all are fun to play. ~4.5 of the 5 from FP1 were fun for me, Terry being the "worst" of them, but I still gave him half a point.

There's just something quite odd that makes me think Byleth wasn't our original 5 and was made fighter 5 later on. I'm not sure if he was ever planned to be 6 and I personally think it's unlikely. FP2 adds one extra fighter for some reason, Byleth's assets were off, his trailer seemed like it was meant for a general direct, the general "let's get this outta the way" attitude that it was felt like was taken to him, etc, it really does feel fishy as to what the hell was going on there. I have trouble believing they'd ever think starting pass 2 off with another FE character was a good idea, but I really have been thinking reveals and releases got swapped around. Maybe I'm just crazy (Let's face it, I definitely am) but I think Geno was supposed to be FP5 initially and he got pushed back for God knows why.
I hope that was the case because that means he's #6 now, right? ;)

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
his spot in Smash was given to Urshifu instead. Please understand.
If that actually happened... UGH. I'm sorry for hating on Urshifu so much; it's not even a bad design for a 'mon, I'm just mad that because it's the face of a DLC pack for SwSh, I could totally see Nintendo being Nintendo and pushing it over a cool pick that fans would actually appreciate like Tox (if we have to get a Gen 8 rep, which we may not even).

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm holding out hope that Iwata's pick might be porky..... he's just got a lot of weird stuff surrounding him in ultimate rn. Does this thought have any legs to stand on? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If anything, what seems to be the "point" of Season 2 is to give a vast majority of the Smash fanbase at least ONE character that they've been hard hoping for. "Don't like all 6? We don't care! Here's the one character that you've wanted since elementary school! It's your choice to buy the others so, uh, Merry Christmas to all and to all shut the hell up..." It's like if your parents ran to the store and bought 6 flavors of ice cream for you and your idiot siblings with general knowledge of what you all like. There's bound to be one flavor specifically for you and ones for your moronic kinfolk. Like more than one? Cool. Don't? Who cares? You still got one you really like and wanted. That's probably what Nintendo's approach with Season 2 is.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'm holding out hope that Iwata's pick might be porky..... he's just got a lot of weird stuff surrounding him in ultimate rn. Does this thought have any legs to stand on? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
Porky's in a weird boat like Geno, having his content from previous games missing, except he was an actual boss. Sadly though I think Porky's best chance was last year given the 30th anniversary + Chinese Zodiac's Year of the Pig; it was too perfect, y'know?

I'd still love to see Porky because there's so much you could pull from and do for him. As a low-tier fan of EB (as in I enjoyed the game but I don't go nuts over it like I do for Undertale or SMRPG), I'd love to see him get a spot because that would definitely make Mother fans happy, given how little they've been given across all of Nintendo, especially lately.

If anything, what seems to be the "point" of Season 2 is to give a vast majority of the Smash fanbase at least ONE character that they've been hard hoping for. "Don't like all 6? We don't care! Here's the one character that you've wanted since elementary school! It's your choice to buy the others so, uh, Merry Christmas to all and to all shut the hell up..." It's like if your parents ran to the store and bought 6 flavors of ice cream for you and your idiot siblings with general knowledge of what you all like. There's bound to be one flavor specifically for you and ones for your moronic kinfolk. Like more than one? Cool. Don't? Who cares? You still got one you really like and wanted. That's probably what Nintendo's approach with Season 2 is.
I'm really curious what the FP would hold then if this is the mentality. Also TBH it's a really good mentality to do, because I honestly will not care if I hate all the other 5 if I get Geno in. You could make it 5 variants of Urshifu and I'd be fine with it.

Now for a new topic: What would Geno's voice acting be like? He's by no means a silent protagonist, but he's never had a voiced line in the two games he's ever appeared in, so it makes me kinda wonder what an "official" voice for him would sound like.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Now for a new topic: What would Geno's voice acting be like? He's by no means a silent protagonist, but he's never had a voiced line in the two games he's ever appeared in, so it makes me kinda wonder what an "official" voice for him would sound like.
To anyone who's seen DBZA (RIP) I've imagined for a while Geno has a very similar voice to the one they gave Dende. I dunno why but that's the only way I can imagine Geno talking now lol

pinshadow

Smash Lord
To anyone who's seen DBZA (RIP) I've imagined for a while Geno has a very similar voice to the one they gave Dende. I dunno why but that's the only way I can imagine Geno talking now lol
Wow, I'm not the only one who gave Geno that voice, neat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm in the no voice acting boat. They could have definitely given Mega Man a voice and opted not to, likely due to western fans historically hating every voice he's been given in almost all of his incarnations, and how while we know Bowser and DK can talk, no one wants Bowser to have his voice from Mario sunshine and no... well, maybe a few people want DK to have his voice from that awful CGI show from the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom