• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
1. Undertale in Smash wasn't "well known" unless you believed the Paragon leak, which has been proven mostly false outside the E3 reveals.
I wasn't refering to the Paragon Leak. There were other people who had hear about Undertale content coming to Smash aside from Paragon.

And it doesn't matter if one or two "leakers" stated Megalovania would be in Smash, if they didn't have any other valid information to share. And in the end, that still doesn't change the fact that this source knew about every costume in the September direct EXCEPT for Sans and Smithy/Mallow.
What are you talking about? Of course it matters. You're saying that the fact that he didn't mention the Sans costume is a potential knock against the list's legitimacy, but if the person the Mii Costume List guy got the list of names from didn't know what Undertale content was coming to the game, there's no reason as to why he'd put it on the list in the first place. Also, one thing I should clarify is that the Mii Costumes List wasn't provided to the Mii Costume List guy as a list of Mii Costumes, rather it was just a list of names. He was given these names and told to keep them in mind, no mention as to what they were for. This is also true of the Terry Spirits List.

Also another conundrum arises if we think that the leaker just held back Sans because of Megalovania. What if the source also heard Beware the Mushrooms is also going to be in? Worst case, maybe they just assumed Geno is going to be a fighter so they didn't put him on the list?
Well nobody has done that thus far, so there's no need to worry about this hypothetical scenario. Unless I happened to miss some reputable leaker mentioning hearing Beware The Forest's Mushrooms is coming to the game, that is.

2. I'm not saying that they can't skip certain bits and pieces of information, just that the longer we wait for those SMRPG costumes from the list; the more unlikely they become.
Jesus Christ I am so sick of hearing people make this argument. Is there some sort of expiration date for these leaks that I'm unaware of? Because this is probably the tenth time I've heard people assert that a potential leak like this has some sort of timeframe that disconfirmes them.

The costume list was given back in July, which means that these costumes were done/known up to almost a year before Geno's potential release. Judging from info we know, most DLC fighters start development around 6 months before their reveal with the latter 3 months serving as their (the Smash teams) primary focus.
Six months? Last I checked, fighters typically take a year of work from conception to completion, give or take. Not sure where you're getting your info from, exactly. For reference, this is my source:
https://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/...ating-smash-bros-character-takes-over-a-year/

Unless the costumes are done WAY in advance of the bulk of that character's development, and not nearly given as much security; I can't really see how someone would know about Mallow/Smithy costumes a year in advance, when they miss knowledge of literally every other mii costume from September to potentially July 2020. In general, I imagine that Mii costumes; particularly those that surround a particular fighter's release are done/tested alongside that fighter. That would be the smart way to prevent leaks. Some others like Altair are probably done whenever they have the time (ie not alongside Byleth).
I don't understand why people think it's unreasonable for them to make or negotiate for costumes far ahead of a fighter's release. If fighters are negotiated for and made over the course of a year, then they very easily can make the costumes that go alongside them well ahead of time and hold on to them until they're needed.

I also really don't understand why people seem to assume that, because leakers know info about certain things, that they should know even more things as well, and that them not knowing more than they're providing is some sort of knock against their credibility. That's not how this work. When someone is provided info from someone, that's all they get. Unless that person just so happens to have more information to share, that's all they're getting. A leaker can't help it if their source doesn't know anything more than they're being told.

3. The age of a leak definitely has something to do with it's validity. I wouldn't really expect leaks from 2 years ago to be real. And I never dismissed the costume leak as being "too old" to be true right now either; just that the longer we wait for it, the more unlikely it becomes. For example, if by FP 5 Geno isn't revealed, that doesn't make the leak super likely to be true for FP 6 either. An example of this would be the classic "Dante in Smash" leak which pretty much predicted everything right about DMC 5 pre-release, but got the Dante in Smash part wrong. If Dante ends up getting in, in FP 2 that doesn't magically make that leak from 2 years ago right. There's always the potential the Mii costume list is like that too, where it has bits and pieces of right information but still has some wrong things in it.
I don't entirely disagree that age does play some role in a potential leak's credibility, I ain't gonna go fully Berniebro and act like Sanders still has a chance to become the president in 2016. The issue I have is that people are becoming more and more keen on dismissing these potential leaks despite the fact that are still relatively fresh: The Mii Costume List was posted about 6 months ago, and the CacoMallow Post was only 2 months ago. In gamedev time, that's not very long at all, especially since Smash characters typically take up to a year of development time.

I know you haven't made this argument, but after Byleth came out people were very quick to completely dismiss the CacoMallow Post as a fake because neither of these costumes were revealed alongside them. Unironically, they'd say that a potential leak that came to light two months ago is fake because it wasn't immediately proven correct via FP5. I dunno about you, but I can't help but find that kind of absurd, especially since there were plenty of other leaks in the past that stood for a while before being confirmed. If a year goes by and nothing comes up regarding the Mii Costume List, then sure, there's reason to doubt, but now of all times? I'm taking a wait and see approach here.

4. Hero himself wasn't leaked until after the game released, yes, but Vergeben had stated that a Square Enix character would get in all the way since August.
2018. I agree with Cloud.
Yeah, but that's not Hero, so my point still stands.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I don't entirely disagree that age does play some role in a potential leak's credibility, I ain't gonna go fully Berniebro and act like Sanders still has a chance to become the president in 2016. The issue I have is that people are becoming more and more keen on dismissing these potential leaks despite the fact that are still relatively fresh: The Mii Costume List was posted about 6 months ago, and the CacoMallow Post was only 2 months ago. In gamedev time, that's not very long at all, especially since Smash characters typically take up to a year of development time.

I know you haven't made this argument, but after Byleth came out people were very quick to completely dismiss the CacoMallow Post as a fake because neither of these costumes were revealed alongside them. Unironically, they'd say that a potential leak that came to light two months ago is fake because it wasn't immediately proven correct via FP5. I dunno about you, but I can't help but find that kind of absurd, especially since there were plenty of other leaks in the past that stood for a while before being confirmed. If a year goes by and nothing comes up regarding the Mii Costume List, then sure, there's reason to doubt, but now of all times? I'm taking a wait and see approach here.
Someone: Leaks Cacodemon and Mallow Mii Costumes back in November
People: Well, since it's January now, that leak must be fake because why would anyone be able to leak something that far ahead?

Mandy: Leaks Crash as FP6 back in October
People: Welp, I'm convinced. Clearly they know absolutely everything there is to know and their word should be treated as gospel

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
CacoMallow's leak certainly took a hot, eh? Goddamn it. I wish it's part of a contract obligation at this point but you never know with these type of things.

I'll lower my expectations in that case. The more time it passes, the more I am starting to doubt Geno too. There's the chance we might get an updated Mii Costume of him with a mask instead of just the hat. Similar to Sans and Cuphead.

I'll say Geno's chances went from 80/70% to 50%. Still high but not that much. It can go anywhere.

:bowser:.
I ask this sincerely: what specifically has happened in the past day to make you think that both Geno is less likely to be playable and more likely to be a costume? Because I just simply do not see it. We have 6 more characters to go, his music got taken down, and Byleth showed Nintendo is willing to add already represented franchises. Those all seem like good things for Geno to me. A Bethesda rep not being playable doesn't exactly affect him at all.

People: Well, since it's January now, that leak must be fake because why would anyone be able to leak something that far ahead?

People: Welp, I'm convinced. Clearly they know absolutely everything there is to know and their word should be treated as gospel
What's weird to me too is the fact that people saying both of these things are a lot of the same people that hound Fatman for information. And per Fatman most of his contacts think Cacomallow is real and that Crash isn't coming for awhile. But somehow that translates to Geno being likely as a enhanced costume and Crash is FP6 lol Also did people forget how far in advance "Erdrick" and Banjo first leaked ahead of when they were finally shown off?
7-8 months.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Even if CacoMallow was faked, did we not all believe Geno was coming prior to November 4th? Why is our entire confidence on Geno being a fighter or not resting on the shoulders of this one recent-ish leak?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
(just so i don't look hypocritical, no, i was not saying geno could be a costume a few days ago because of cacomallow, I said that because I don't think the Fighter's Pass style fits the type of character Geno is, as much as I want him. There's various workarounds though, and Sakurai did get Three Houses in and still pretended it was a "new series", so we'll see what happens, fingers crossed)
If you are talking about the Reggie qoute, he never said that every DLC fighter would be a new IP. He said CHARACTERS that are new to the series which Byleth technically is. If you are talking about new worlds... well, Three Houses in¨t connected to any other Fire Emblem game :bluejump:

Go to 3:31:00 and listen to yourself if you don¨t belive me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt3FyE-VIQ&t=12710s

Also, do I need to remind you that if Geno get¨s in, he would fall under the Super Mario banner, even though the character is owned by Square? I¨m pointing this out, because if anything, even if you don¨t like the inclusion of Byleth, it is still an indirect W for us, because it shows that Nintendo are open to add characters from already established franchises for the DLC rooster, combined with the fact there is still no Geno costume revealed as of yet.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
So, fun new theory: "Road to 100." The good news, Smash Bros Ultimate is probably getting 100 characters! The bad news is that it's not in the way you would expect. I feel like Sakurai's intention with Ultimate was always to get to 100 characters but I think he's going to do it with a big ass loophole. Currently we have 75 original characters, right? WRONG! We actually have a lot more than that and I'll show the math:

75 original characters
7 Echoes
1 Alph
7 Koopalings
3 additional Heros

Add all these together and we get 93 characters (male and female variations don't count). It was confirmed that Season 2 would have 6 characters and... I think these are our final 6. My theory is that one of these characters will either be a double character or will have a separate character ALT, bringing Smash Ultimate up to 100 characters. So, final 6 characters... That's pretty daunting... But also super exciting!

These are the final 6 characters before Smash hits triple digits so Sakurai will definitely want to make them count. Who would Sakurai want to add to the first 100 Smash Bros characters? This is where history comes in. There are definitely character choices that go back to Brawl and even Melee that could nicely fill in these gaps. Again, Power of Six theory has given the strong suggestion that three would be Capcom, Namco and Square. From these companies, who would Sakurai choose to best please the Smash fanbase? On my end, I'm currently predicting the following characters:

Waluigi, Geno, Lloyd, Dante, Crash, and Master Chief.

All huge requests wanted for more than a decade. Perfect way to hit the 100 mark. What about the potential ALT or double character? I think four of these characters have potential.

-Geno miraculously has Mallow come with him.

-Lloyd has a switch in partner (probably Colette)

-Dante has a Vergil ALT? (Do they fight similarly? Don't play the series.)

-Crash has a Coco ALT (they play exactly the same in the games)

Lots of showstoppers with lots of potential. This is why I think these guys are our final 6/7 to technically get us to a 100 playable character roster. Guess we'll just have to see how things play out.
I have a great question for you! In your opinion, if we did get big names like Crash, Geno, and Master Chief. In what order could you see them happening? They are all so hype. How would Nintendo go about separating such hype?!

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So, circling back, I've noticed that with DLC that Nintendo kind of respects a certain order to things. Nintendo works on Nintendo stuff first then third parties its already worked with and then new companies before going back to Nintendo.

Smash 4: Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy (Nintendo), Ryu (Capcom), Cloud (Square Enix), Corrin (Nintendo), Bayonetta (SEGA/Platinum)

Smash Ultimate Fighter's Pass: Plant (Nintendo), Joker (SEGA/Atlus), Hero (Square/Armor Project), Banjo (Rare/Microsoft), Terry (SNK), and Byleth (Nintendo/Tecmo)

What can we infer from this? We can theorize that Season 2 will either start on a Nintendo character or a third party that Nintendo has already worked on for Smash. This means that our mystery Namco, Capcom, and, most importantly, Square rep have high chances of being 2020 reveals. That said, the wait for an answer for Geno, in theory, shouldn't be any later than probably September, with strong odds that, if in, he'd be one of the first 3 or 4.
With this being the first time we have seen a "second season" of DLC, fo you think that companies who previouslu worked with Nintendo of Fighter Pass Vol. 1 be included in the "third parties its already worked with" camp?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So, last time on Dragon Ball Z, Power of Six theory mapped up hypothetical Mii costumes for when the Fighter's Pass was one and done. Again, quick recap, Power of Six theory suggests that every pack was originally going to have 6 costumes and bring back all 15 Smash 4 third party DLC Mii costumes. Here's how far we got before Byleth:

-Joker (4 Persona costumes, Knuckles and Tails, SEGA theme)

-Hero (4 Dragon Quest costumes, Geno and Chocobo, Square theme )

-Banjo (Goemon, 4 Megaman costumes, and Rocket Grunt or Sans, grab bag)

-Terry (3 SNK costumes, Akira, Jacky, and Heihachi, Fighting game theme)

-5 (Lloyd, Gil, Rathalos, Monster Hunter and two unknowns, Fantasy RPG sword theme)

What's interesting is what happened with 5, which ended up being Byleth from Fire Emblem, which correctly guessed the theme of the character, a fantasy RPG swordsman. We've seen that, except with Banjo, packs tend to come with costumes from the same company as the playable fighter. Gil and Lloyd are Namco and Rathalos and Monster Hunter are Capcom. Fire Emblem is Nintendo so it heavily suggests that Byleth's missing two costumes would be Nintendo too. Well, who are they? I think we conveniently got our answer in Blythe's presentation.

At the beginning of the pass we got a bonus Mii costume, Rex from Xenoblade 2. At the beginning of Season 2, we're getting yet another bonus in the form of the ancient armor from Breath of the Wild. Both of these Mii costumes are Mii swordsmen from fantasy RPGs. If we plug things in, we get this:

Blythe (AA Link, Rex, Gil, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos)

That's quite a coincidence. As a recap, these are the Mii costumes that are currently missing:

-Geno and Chocobo
-Lloyd and Gil
-Rathalos and Monster Hunter
-Heihachi

Like we originally theorized back in the fall, this heavily suggests 3 of the final 6 characters are Namco, Square, and Capcom. Our theory for Banjo originally being a dump for the Megaman costumes is supported because Blythe not only got the two missing Megaman costumes but his Mii costumes had nothing to do with him either. What does this suggest? My original theory was that Rocket Grunt was the late addition but in reality... I think it was Sans.

Right now we only have two indie costumes and they're both premium. Both were in the "dump" packs and I don't think this was a coincidence. I think these were decisions made after the Fighter's Pass was originally finalized, explaining their odd placement. There's strong evidence that we're getting more with one potential leak suggesting Kris from Deltarune and Knight from Hollow Knight. There's technically two others that haven't been made public so a "premium" indie costume per pack will likely happen for most of the packs.

So, circling back, I've noticed that with DLC that Nintendo kind of respects a certain order to things. Nintendo works on Nintendo stuff first then third parties its already worked with and then new companies before going back to Nintendo.

Smash 4: Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy (Nintendo), Ryu (Capcom), Cloud (Square Enix), Corrin (Nintendo), Bayonetta (SEGA/Platinum)

Smash Ultimate Fighter's Pass: Plant (Nintendo), Joker (SEGA/Atlus), Hero (Square/Armor Project), Banjo (Rare/Microsoft), Terry (SNK), and Byleth (Nintendo/Tecmo)

What can we infer from this? We can theorize that Season 2 will either start on a Nintendo character or a third party that Nintendo has already worked on for Smash. This means that our mystery Namco, Capcom, and, most importantly, Square rep have high chances of being 2020 reveals. That said, the wait for an answer for Geno, in theory, shouldn't be any later than probably September, with strong odds that, if in, he'd be one of the first 3 or 4.
I argue that the Plant does not count concidering Plant were meant to be base game

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
With this being the first time we have seen a "second season" of DLC, fo you think that companies who previouslu worked with Nintendo of Fighter Pass Vol. 1 be included in the "third parties its already worked with" camp?
Yes because of how they plan out the seasons. Season 2 wasn't always going to be a thing and we've estimated that there was at least an 8 month gap where the Fighter's Pass was going to be one and done. That said, the Fighter's Pass was created with the idea that it was going to be the only season meaning that, planning wise, Season 2 wasn't likely planned as a continuation but basically as its own thing. On that note, it's already "looped" because Blythe brought things back to Nintendo which, under this model, suggests 6 is either also Nintendo or comes from a company already in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey guys! I'm back. I know I've been gone for a couple of days, but I've been sick sneezing, coughing, having a fever, ect. I've called in from work the past two days and I've just been laying down in bed taking Mucinex, spicy hot tea, and chicken noodle soup.

So how are things looking for our doll boi?

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
So, fun new theory: "Road to 100." The good news, Smash Bros Ultimate is probably getting 100 characters! The bad news is that it's not in the way you would expect. I feel like Sakurai's intention with Ultimate was always to get to 100 characters but I think he's going to do it with a big ass loophole. Currently we have 75 original characters, right? WRONG! We actually have a lot more than that and I'll show the math:

75 original characters
7 Echoes
1 Alph
7 Koopalings
3 additional Heros

Add all these together and we get 93 characters (male and female variations don't count). It was confirmed that Season 2 would have 6 characters and... I think these are our final 6. My theory is that one of these characters will either be a double character or will have a separate character ALT, bringing Smash Ultimate up to 100 characters. So, final 6 characters... That's pretty daunting... But also super exciting!

These are the final 6 characters before Smash hits triple digits so Sakurai will definitely want to make them count. Who would Sakurai want to add to the first 100 Smash Bros characters? This is where history comes in. There are definitely character choices that go back to Brawl and even Melee that could nicely fill in these gaps. Again, Power of Six theory has given the strong suggestion that three would be Capcom, Namco and Square. From these companies, who would Sakurai choose to best please the Smash fanbase? On my end, I'm currently predicting the following characters:

All huge requests wanted for more than a decade. Perfect way to hit the 100 mark. What about the potential ALT or double character? I think four of these characters have potential.

Lots of showstoppers with lots of potential. This is why I think these guys are our final 6/7 to technically get us to a 100 playable character roster. Guess we'll just have to see how things play out.
No doubt those six would all be show stoppers and crowd pleasers, I know I would be more than satisfied. I wouldn't write off Doomguy or Hayabusa just yet, since I could see them still making it, but that could be my own biases showing.

More importantly, do you think it's likely or at a possible that instead of an echo or an alt character with one of the six FP2 characters, that character #100 is a bonus character separate from FP2? Much like how Piranha Plant was a separate bonus character from FP1, it would also mean that Ultimate DLC both started and ended with bonus characters. Just a thought.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No doubt those six would all be show stoppers and crowd pleasers, I know I would be more than satisfied. I wouldn't write off Doomguy or Hayabusa just yet, since I could see them still making it, but that could be my own biases showing.

More importantly, do you think it's likely or at a possible that instead of an echo or an alt character with one of the six FP2 characters, that character #100 is a bonus character separate from FP2? Much like how Piranha Plant was a separate bonus character from FP1, it would also mean that Ultimate DLC both started and ended with bonus characters. Just a thought.
I've considered that prospect but I don't know who they would want "#100" to be if not Chief. Maybe an Iwata tribute of some kind? Either way, I think the way things have turned out is intentional. If you all remember, 16 dummy slots were mined from the game last January and then just as quickly disappeared. Many people took this at face value of being 16 full characters. Before DLC started, we were at:

69 original characters
7 Echoes
1 Alph
7 Koopalings

Technically 84 characters. 84 + 16 =100

Since then, we've added 6 original characters and 3 Heros. Now we're at 93. Again, this seems intentional. Like I said, I'm not sure how the mysterious 16th DLC character will go down. Bonus? ALT? Switch in character? Hard to say just yet but I guess that will be the fun in waiting.

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
I think one hundred should go to a Nintendo ip with no playable characters......Smash. Shrunken master hand, puppet master hand(down b would switch between a set of selected assist trophies), taboo, or even Galeem/darkhon humanoid fusion,

I still don’t see the fuss about cacomallow. It hasn’t been disproven, and technically doesn’t imply anything other than those two are mi costumes. It might even be why Nintendo isn’t making a big fuss about it because it contained no hard characters. People jump that it means a Bethesda char and geno but a scenario where a 3rd party only gets a costume, even a western one at that has happened in altair. A mallow hat also doesn’t necessarily confer a playable geno either. I thinks it’s both alive, but at the same time not really a direct guarantee of anything. I do wonder if fake though if the creator will come out soon with the doomslayer interview.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno being one of the 6 makes a ton of sense to me given how this game has played out. We got Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo in this game. We got characters like Daisy and Dark Samus who have had longevity but a fraction of the fan requests. Like I showed in the Geno essay, people have wanted him since before Melee. He was recognized in the official Nintendo poll before Melee. He was recognized in "Sakurai's journal" before Brawl. He was a Mii costume in Smash 4. Sakurai even said himself "yeah, man, dude's pretty ****in' cool." He was also a legendary spirit (also obtainable in Adventure mode) and a player icon in Ultimate so far. There's no avoiding the guy. Geno has been part of the Smash conversation literally since Smash's inauguration year and there's hard evidence for that. He's... Geno. He's an anomaly and has overcome ridiculous odds to STILL be relevant 24 years later. I don't think people grasp how significant that is.

LipeCau

Smash Cadet

75 original characters
7 Echoes
1 Alph
7 Koopalings
3 additional Heros

I thought about this before the FPv2 announcement, but like you said, Sakurai likes his big ass loopholes. I'd even count the 2 Ikes, the gender swap alts, maybe the two bayos, Not trying to be pedantic, just pulling a Sakurai lol. Also, we had 12 in 64, 26 in Melee, 39 in Brawl and 58 in 4, so they just don't care. (not counting the alts, if they end up in a beautiful round number let me know).
What I would honestly love to see is (but don't believe in it, of course), since we're getting 6 more in 2 years, what about 12 echoes in the 2 years after. No, Sakurai may not rest, this is his Magnum Opus.
That would give us a base of 81 + 19 echos = 100

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
Kirkhope danced around the question, This director did not. It was basically right on cue like the producer who said "yes" when people asked him if they talked with Nintendo for Smash. He downright said, "we have talked to Nintendo but nothing serious happen"... That is like how straight forward as you can be.
Amazing that a thread who has taken a random "leaker"'s word as credible time and time again can't remain skeptical about a still-disproven costume leak.

Anyway, I still stand by MY belief until it's proven fake!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like Mallow's going to be in Geno's victory screens or Geno's Final Smash. I feel like there's too many examples now of characters having cameos that he'd just not be involved with Geno at all.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Geno being one of the 6 makes a ton of sense to me given how this game has played out. We got Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo in this game. We got characters like Daisy and Dark Samus who have had longevity but a fraction of the fan requests. Like I showed in the Geno essay, people have wanted him since before Melee. He was recognized in the official Nintendo poll before Melee. He was recognized in "Sakurai's journal" before Brawl. He was a Mii costume in Smash 4. Sakurai even said himself "yeah, man, dude's pretty ****in' cool." He was also a legendary spirit (also obtainable in Adventure mode) and a player icon in Ultimate so far. There's no avoiding the guy. Geno has been part of the Smash conversation literally since Smash's inauguration year and there's hard evidence for that. He's... Geno. He's an anomaly and has overcome ridiculous odds to STILL be relevant 24 years later. I don't think people grasp how significant that is.
Absolutely.

In this day and age of films and TV series pandering to fan requests for characters and storylines (the biggest one that comes to mind is when X-Men Days of Future Past revived Cyclops and Jean, two characters whose depths caused a massive fan uproar) is becoming more and more normal. I don’t think it’s a stretch that an entertainment medium (video games) has also slowly started to gravitate towards specific consumer requests - after all, the more consumers realize they have a voice, the more likely they are to spend money

and I think you hit the nail on the head when you brought up K Rool and Banjo - 2 heavily requested characters from vocal fan bases. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to believe that Nintendo and Sakurai have given serious consideration to including Geno.

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
I still am on the team that they have to at least tease something before the pass goes live on Tuesday. While IDK if Geno fits the bill for 6, he would definitely restore some hope and hype for Volume 2. I wish we could just know his fate, as I pretty much have gotten everyone I've really wanted, and now am just rooting for characters to get a series revival. The feeling of getting Geno as 6 would be amazing as we would still have 5 more. Feel like its gotta be a fan request or a WTF in a good way pick.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
If you are talking about the Reggie qoute, he never said that every DLC fighter would be a new IP. He said CHARACTERS that are new to the series which Byleth technically is. If you are talking about new worlds... well, Three Houses in¨t connected to any other Fire Emblem game :bluejump:

Go to 3:31:00 and listen to yourself if you don¨t belive me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt3FyE-VIQ&t=12710s

Also, do I need to remind you that if Geno get¨s in, he would fall under the Super Mario banner, even though the character is owned by Square? I¨m pointing this out, because if anything, even if you don¨t like the inclusion of Byleth, it is still an indirect W for us, because it shows that Nintendo are open to add characters from already established franchises for the DLC rooster, combined with the fact there is still no Geno costume revealed as of yet.
I’m not trying to bring back this particular conversation, i’m just trying to explain that I had completely different reasons compared to this guy for worrying about the Geno deluxe mii costume. My reasoning had nothing to do with cacomallow

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Absolutely.

In this day and age of films and TV series pandering to fan requests for characters and storylines (the biggest one that comes to mind is when X-Men Days of Future Past revived Cyclops and Jean, two characters whose depths caused a massive fan uproar) is becoming more and more normal. I don’t think it’s a stretch that an entertainment medium (video games) has also slowly started to gravitate towards specific consumer requests - after all, the more consumers realize they have a voice, the more likely they are to spend money

and I think you hit the nail on the head when you brought up K Rool and Banjo - 2 heavily requested characters from vocal fan bases. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to believe that Nintendo and Sakurai have given serious consideration to including Geno.
Which is why I keep harping on it because this game has been fulfilling fan requests left and right and knocking out the biggest ones in the community since Melee. Even looking at the assist trophies, it's a who's who of the biggest characters in Smash speculation since the early 2000's. Bomberman? Krystal? Zero? Holy ****. "Everyone is here" is pretty literal and, as someone clearly psychotic who has been at this since technically 2002, it definitely makes me sit up and notice. That's also why I chose the six characters in my prediction that I did because they're basically the last strong holds of the major character requests and they all coincidentally represent different companies.

LipeCau

Smash Cadet
I still am on the team that they have to at least tease something before the pass goes live on Tuesday. While IDK if Geno fits the bill for 6, he would definitely restore some hope and hype for Volume 2. I wish we could just know his fate, as I pretty much have gotten everyone I've really wanted, and now am just rooting for characters to get a series revival. The feeling of getting Geno as 6 would be amazing as we would still have 5 more. Feel like its gotta be a fan request or a WTF in a good way pick.
Yeah, I have a feeling we're getting a direct on the 28th. Because of Byleth backlash I think it would be interesting for the sales of the FPv2 to have a Joker level reveal (Geno would be perfect, of course). But Sakurai did state we'd go in blind.
Also, as someone else pointed to me, the backlash could be an insignificant internet thing that doesn't really affect the sales.

Which is why I keep harping on it because this game has been fulfilling fan requests left and right and knocking out the biggest ones in the community since Melee. Even looking at the assist trophies, it's a who's who of the biggest characters in Smash speculation since the early 2000's. Bomberman? Krystal? Zero? Holy ****. "Everyone is here" is pretty literal and, as someone clearly psychotic who has been at this since technically 2002, it definitely makes me sit up and notice. That's also why I chose the six characters in my prediction that I did because they're basically the last strong holds of the major character requests and they all coincidentally represent different companies.
I hate the entertainment industry doing this, but I completely agree with Springwood and you on that regard. Also, the way Sakurai phrases things, gets us the best of both really. Like Nintendo deciding which character to include and Sakurai saying that the character must be fun before famous. That basically means highly requested characters with a proper treatment, I think.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When it comes to Smash, Nintendo is pretty good with the "Sandwich method." Oh, Daisy's a clone? Here's ****in' Ridley. Ken and Inceniroar are the last two characters? Oh, here's DLC. Hero not your style? Here's ****in' Banjo. Don't know who Terry is? Here's Season 2, go **** yourself. This why I'm pretty confident that 6 is going to be a good character because, if this really is the final 6, people are going to need a lot to forgive Blythe given people are still mad about Corrin 4 years later.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I’m not trying to bring back this particular conversation, i’m just trying to explain that I had completely different reasons compared to this guy for worrying about the Geno deluxe mii costume. My reasoning had nothing to do with cacomallow
You are missing my point.
No matter if Byleth would have gotten in or not -> Geno would still be under the Super Mario Brothers banner.

And what did you say in that post I qoute you on earlier?
Sakurai did get Three Houses in and still pretended it was a "new series"
Geno would not be counted as a new series also, which is why I stated that Byleth raises our chances more than lower then concidering it shows that Nintendo is up to give already represented a chance for DLC.

PS.. you can easily give Geno a spirit board, music, and his own stage so I don¨t know what you are talking about with him not fitting this fighter pass.
The only thing that is in his way, is if they are going to upgrade spirits to be fighters (besides square that is)

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm sorry about my comments regarding CacoMallow. I simply linked the Doom Eternal Tweet since I thought that'd be interesting. Instead, I inspired others to be all like "welp looks like there's no geno because why else would there be a cacodemon hat when there's no chance of doom slayer!"

Bloody Hell... Is there an area where I can place the tinfoil Geno hat in disgrace?

Firox

Smash Master

Shhhhh! You can't speak the truth. People hate that.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, I found something interesting when I booted up Smash Bros last night. I got an announcement for patch 7.0.0 saying to save my replays because the patch would be dropping "in the next few days". Now, mind you, I know that Byleth is scheduled for 1/28 release, but that's five days away. The patch alert usually comes out 2-3 days in advance. Could that mean that Byleth is dropping early? Color me intrigued.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I think one hundred should go to a Nintendo ip with no playable characters......Smash. Shrunken master hand, puppet master hand(down b would switch between a set of selected assist trophies), taboo, or even Galeem/darkhon humanoid fusion,

If we get a Smash character, it has to be Sandbag.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I wanna point this out as someone who typically enjoys your theories and means no ill will.
Heck, I think all your character choices are likely and would love pretty much all of them except Lloyd, who I'm wholly indifferent about.

But I'm critical of the "road to 100" theory in itself. Counting the different koopalings, and then not counting the gender-swapped alts just seems like counting whatever fits the theory's narrative while ignoring facts. While the project plan may have been to exceed 100 characters, I highly doubt they are trying to land exactly on this spot, especially considering if you do count the gender swapped alts we will exceed that mark by the end of the pass.

Last edited:

LipeCau

Smash Cadet
PS.. you can easily give Geno a spirit board, music, and his own stage so I don¨t know what you are talking about with him not fitting this fighter pass.
The only thing that is in his way, is if they are going to upgrade spirits to be fighters (besides square that is)
I also think he doesn't fit that well, I mean, not him exactly, but SMRPG. That said, just like I stated before, it's just too weird to have him as a spirit with battle and no costume or music to go along with it. If there are too little Spirits possible for SMRPG, they could easily add classic RPG spirits like Black Mage, White Mage, etc.
I'm actually changing my mind again and believing Geno is most likely in, but I hope I'm not fooling myself.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wanna point this out as someone who typically enjoys your theories and means no ill will.
Heck, I think all your character choices are likely and would love pretty much all of them except Lloyd, who I'm wholly indifferent about.

But I'm critical of the "road to 100" theory in itself. Counting the different koopalings, and then not counting the gender-swapped alts just seems like counting whatever fits the theory's narrative while ignoring facts. While the project plan may have been to exceed 100 characters, I highly doubt they are trying to land exactly on this spot, especially since if you do count the gender swapped alts, we will exceed that mark by the end of the pass.
The Koopalings are technically separate characters though. Robin is still, well, Robin no matter which sex they are. That's the difference. Wendy isn't "Girl Bowser Jr", she's Wendy, a totally separate character in the Mario canon. Alph and Olimar are two different characters despite one being an ALT in Smash. Hero's ALTs are literally the protagonists of different mainline Dragon Quest games. This is also why Lucina isn't "female Marth", she's Lucina. Dark Pit isn't just a palette swap, he's someone different. Corrin is still Corrin, Wii Fit is still Wii Fit, etc.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Amazing that a thread who has taken a random "leaker"'s word as credible time and time again can't remain skeptical about a still-disproven costume leak.

Anyway, I still stand by MY belief until it's proven fake!
I don’t understand what you mean here, did you mistype? I can only read this as you urging people to be less skeptical about leaks, which seems confusing.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I also think he doesn't fit that well, I mean, not him exactly, but SMRPG. That said, just like I stated before, it's just too weird to have him as a spirit with battle and no costume or music to go along with it. If there are too little Spirits possible for SMRPG, they could easily add classic RPG spirits like Black Mage, White Mage, etc.
I'm actually changing my mind again and believing Geno is most likely in, but I hope I'm not fooling myself.
Like I said. The only thing that truly goes against him (outside of Square) is if they want to promote spirits or not.
Also... F the Smash fanbase sometimes https://twitter.com/SimplyAllegra/status/1220082332490592256

Bob-Omber

Smash Cadet
In the corner drinking a frosty with a straw
I feel like Geno would be closer to the end of the fighters pass. Say we get someone like crash or steve or a pokemon rep, this would most likely be to promote a different franchise rather than just the fighters pass or pleasing the fans like Geno would be doing. Nintendo would probably want to do things like this first. Or they could juet build the hype up to Geno because hes highly requested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom