• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People keep ignoring the development timeline for some reason. We technically knew about Hero in August 2018 and Banjo in October 2018. Development of a character takes roughly a year according to Sakurai so knowing these characters this far out isn't that unusual. Let's take some other things into consideration:

-Imagine Geno is going to be the E3 2020 reveal and development literally began as soon as E3 2019 ended. The time between this and the Cacomallow leak is about 5 months. Taking Sakurai's word at face value, this is close to half the development time of your typical character. Why couldn't Mii costumes already be developed? If the Mii costume leak is true, there was a list of SMRPG costumes in July. What about Cacodemon? I don't ****in' know. Maybe 6? Maybe later. Who knows? It goes "somewhere." Either way, it's completely plausible for "Mallow" to exist at this point in time.

-If Geno is an E3 reveal, it's even more plausible as to why the videos weren't taken down. "Good job, dumbass, you just spoiled a major E3 reveal more than half a year in advance!" Ken was, what, two months and a character that most people have negative ****s about? Imagine if Ridley or Banjo had the equivalent of Cacomallow; do you think Nintendo would be super gung ho to take that down or just let time inch on and let it fade into obscurity for most people?

D

Deleted member

Can we all (well some of us) agree that Cuphead was the best reveal? I mean it’s just so amazing that this team of two brothers and their crew get to be represented in the greatest video game crossover of all time. It must be so amazing to them and I congratulate them.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Something I'd like to really touch on is the Mii Costumes being...weird, more specfically the Mega Man costumes. Obviously this feels like a grab bag, two random Ubisoft characters (which I think kills any chance of them, so rip Rayman) and Cuphead, with the remaining two Mega Man being returning. I guess the big question is ask here is why them? Think about it, both the two monster hunter skins and Lloyd with Gil make more sense and better fit with the Fire Emblem characters. I think the question to ask here is, if they aern't coming with Byleth, who ARE they coming with? I know people will argue they could just come in another grab bag, but I feel like Banjo (due to Microsoft maybe just not negotiating costumes) and Byleth (due to all the Nintendo related costumes being base game) are exceptions rather than the rule, and atleast one character is going to be related to some of these costumes, and I'd make a hard bet at this point that it's something Namco.
We'll probably get a Monster Hunter character in the next DLC pack, if anything. Or they'll come later down the line, or we'll get completely snubbed. Those are the only rational three options that apply to Geno and the same logic applies to Monster Hunter, respectively.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
The more I listen to that Nintendo World reaction, the more depressed I get. November 2018 still made huge waves despite how underwhelming many felt it was and a lot of Smash fans barely knew who Terry was before the copyright leak but he still had a long and loud cheer. This one was just a few guys cheering loudly for a second before the room fell silent again. You could almost feel the tension in the room but I don't think anyone wanted to cause a scene. The fact that people reacted more to the "not another swordsman" line shows just how well this is being taken lol

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You know I appreciate Sakurai putting work into Byleth and honoring a game as great as Three Houses playable content, but.....if he had him/her planned from the start? He really should have at least had them before Terry. Sure, Terry is a more obscure iconic character, but he'd still have been a stronger finisher.
As someone that is actually hyped about Byleth, I absolutely agree. Or at least in the post these fighters pass, like adding him in after the likes of Rex and Pyra.

However, I feel that Byleth was, in the words of Thanos. Inventiable concidering we have new Smash Brothers characters since Brawl, but more importantly Sakurais love for that franchise.

Now that I think about it. The only franchise he hasn¨t stated openly about being a fan of is Banjo Kazooie. The rest of the DLC is from franchises he loves. Maybe worth keep in mind during speculation from here on out?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
My reaction to the Rayman situation:

"Have you heard of the tragedy of Darth Rayman the Unlucky?"

Anyway right now the cacomallow leak is certainly in a weird limbo right now. I'm still standing by my stance of it being 50/50 real or fake. Also I can't imagine Geno being an E3 announcement. He is practically unknown outside of the Smash and Mario RPG communities, even compared to Banjo. I got this feeling he will be Fighter 6, if not, Fighter 8 or 9. I'm fairly confident in there being a character announcement and release before E3.

Also, they state that the 6 fighters will be released by December 31st, 2021. Are we sure that isn't a placeholder date? It's kind of hard for me to believe we will be waiting two full years for 6 characters when they released 5 characters in little over a year. I imagine we might get the last character in summer or Fall of 2021. To be fair, I'm not part of the Smash team so...

I'm just glad we are promised 6 more characters. Surely, surely at least 1 or 2 of the characters are fan favorites. Sakurai had his fun with the first pass getting some of his dream picks in, but can we please get more characters people want?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of kills me but today kind of solidified a number of things I've been thinking on for a long time:

-We're not getting more than two more Western characters, if that.

-With only 6 characters left, indies really are toast, especially if big companies like Ubisoft are getting hard swerved.

-Promotions will be few and far between. I'm sticking with my theory that we're getting a promotion for the most popular AT, the most popular spirit, and the most popular costume not already a character.

-Of the remaining 6, literally one will likely be a Nintendo character, whether first or second party. Rest will probably be third.

6 probably is going to be as apocalyptic as I thought it would be... If I'm right, it's going to evaporate hope for a ton of fanbases. The Purple Pie Man cometh!

D

Deleted member

My reaction to the Rayman situation:

"Have you heard of the tragedy of Darth Rayman the Unlucky?"

Anyway right now the cacomallow leak is certainly in a weird limbo right now. I'm still standing by my stance of it being 50/50 real or fake. Also I can't imagine Geno being an E3 announcement. He is practically unknown outside of the Smash and Mario RPG communities, even compared to Banjo. I got this feeling he will be Fighter 6, if not, Fighter 8 or 9. I'm fairly confident in there being a character announcement and release before E3.

Also, they state that the 6 fighters will be released by December 31st, 2021. Are we sure that isn't a placeholder date? It's kind of hard for me to believe we will be waiting two full years for 6 characters when they released 5 characters in little over a year. I imagine we might get the last character in summer or Fall of 2021. To be fair, I'm not part of the Smash team so...

I'm just glad we are promised 6 more characters. Surely, surely at least 1 or 2 of the characters are fan favorites. Sakurai had his fun with the first pass getting some of his dream picks in, but can we please get more characters people want?
Palutena and Wii Fit trainer are not exactly good E3 picks to be fair.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
Kind of kills me but today kind of solidified a number of things I've been thinking on for a long time:

-With only 6 characters left, indies really are toast, especially if big companies like Ubisoft are getting hard swerved.

-Promotions will be few and far between. I'm sticking with my theory that we're getting a promotion for the most popular AT, the most popular spirit, and the most popular costume not already a character.

-Of the remaining 6, literally one will likely be a Nintendo character, whether first or second party. Rest will probably be third.

6 probably is going to be as apocalyptic as I thought it would be... If I'm right, it's going to evaporate hope for a ton of fanbases. The Purple Pie Man cometh!
That's a real melodramatic (and questionably accurate) way of describing Waluigi.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Concidering they said February at the infamous Smash direct, It probably is

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Considering the nature of everything, may I request to join your motley crew? I will still maintain my No. 1 spot for Shantae, but Geno can easily be a No. 2, as you seem to be facing similar hardships we are. Though at the end of it all, I'd just love to see one of the biggest requests finally get their dues.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

What genuinely makes you so confident in Robbie Rotten though? Weren't all your sources completely/partially wrong on 5?

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Can we all (well some of us) agree that Cuphead was the best reveal? I mean it’s just so amazing that this team of two brothers and their crew get to be represented in the greatest video game crossover of all time. It must be so amazing to them and I congratulate them.
It¨s dope, but naa. Glad for the developer though. This just proves however that it's not Microsofts fault that there were no Rare costumes coming with Banjo

D

Deleted member

What? same thing happend with Terry though
Yeah. It did. Your point? Besides the reveals of the mii costumes being better than the character reveals. But, I’ve grown to like Terry and maybe Byleth too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Considering the nature of everything, may I request to join your motley crew? I will still maintain my No. 1 spot for Shantae, but Geno can easily be a No. 2, as you seem to be facing similar hardships we are. Though at the end of it all, I'd just love to see one of the biggest requests finally get their dues.
Yeah, absolutely! We'd love to see some more regulars.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm gonna have to disagree with Fatman and say I don't see Waluigi happening at this point. If he were a bonus character that was planned from the beginning, I could see why Paragon would get it confused and think Waluigi was the final one. Now that we're only dealing with characters decided after the fact, it seems that is just not the case. Maybe Paragon heard something akin to "first party character" or something and just assumed but idk.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Before I forget, I want to at least give a shout out to pinshadow pinshadow for discovering the pattern with Sakurai's cut out. While it didn't turn out to be the character we were expecting, it was still grayish armor tints with green as the background. Very good eye and regardless of the character, the most crack pot theory checked out.

Hopefully you can find something with Geno in the near future!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Lol. God help Sakurai if 6 IS Waluigi and 7 is Geno.

Though I suppose you could duel reveal them as well.

But I can just hear the ''Mario is overrepresented" starting.

And I am prepared with ''*****, the Mario franchise MADE Nintendo."

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Calling it now: if Doctor Eggplant gets revealed, he's gonna receive the same volatile, super-divisive reaction as Byleth, with some attempting to use the same arguments such as over-representation of their respective series.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Yet another revision because, **** it...

2020 releases: the Child Catcher, Geno, Lloyd

2021 releases: Dante, Crash, Master Chief

Solid lineup, honestly.
I absolutely love this lineup, but I think i’m missing the joke on the first one here. Is waluigi “he who cannot be named” now?
I really hope that December 2021 is just a placeholder. Ideally I'd love for all 6 challengers to be released by Spring 2021. Given the direct was filmed in November and they were talking about Fighters Pass2 I think its fair to assume that characters in FP2 were already being worked on at that time.
This makes sense, but given how unpredictable everything’s been, I’m just gonna accept the fate of two years waiting, especially if fatman’s list is accurate

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Before I forget, I want to at least give a shout out to pinshadow pinshadow for discovering the pattern with Sakurai's cut out. While it didn't turn out to be the character we were expecting, it was still grayish armor tints with green as the background. Very good eye and regardless of the character, the most crack pot theory checked out.

Hopefully you can find something with Geno in the near future!
Actually, it was Monkey D. Lenny who originally posted the theory about the Brown on his arm, I just used it as a base point and noticed the green in his hair. Still FLOORED it was actually true though.

D

Deleted member

Calling it now: if Doctor Eggplant gets revealed, he's gonna receive the same volatile, super-divisive reaction as Byleth, with some attempting to use the same arguments such as over-representation of their respective series.
Damn, they're really gonna hate it when that series gets not only the Lean Mean Stringbean but Geno as well.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Has everyone who was angry about fighter five calmed down, yet? Just wanted to make sure.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Actually, it was Monkey D. Lenny who originally posted the theory about the Brown on his arm, I just used it as a base point and noticed the green in his hair. Still FLOORED it was actually true though.
I keep forgetting about that.

My apologies MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny for not properly crediting you either. Either way, kudos to both of you!

Grumbo

Smash Ace

But I can just hear the ''Mario is overrepresented" starting.

Honestly I don’t think more mario reps are gonna hurt, unless its more random enemies. Zelda deserves the same amount of reps imo but I think we all know how that’s turned out.

D

Deleted member

Still crazy to me how Nintendo put more effort keeping Byleth a secret more than Banjo.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So if anyone noticed, I left all Smash related Discord servers today, including PapaGenos Forest Maze and Star Road.

The reason for that is that I just can’t handle speculation anymore. I have no problem with Byleth. Sakurai wants more Fire Emblem Blue Hairs? Fine, whatever. The character looks fun enough to play and i’m sure I would’ve bought him even if he wasn’t part of a pass that I already purchased.

The problem is that he has such a negative impact on a fanbase that was already filled with unbridled toxicity: the lead-up to FP5 was hell. I’d go into specifics but I honestly don’t want to.

There’s one thing i’m sure about though, however toxic the FP5 speculation was, this next period of speculation is going to be TWENTY times as toxic with all of the “waaah Fire Emblem” and “cope and seethe” stupid ****. Literally both sides of the fence are maximum toxic and it’s just NOT fun anymore.

These long droughts in between characters were hell to wait through and I gotta be honest; I hate the setup of the second Fighter Pass. THREE characters per year? Seriously? Is it even worth hoping that one of your favorite characters gets in when it feels like the chances are so few and far between? Why even bother?

I also have to make a sincere apology to Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , a user known as amazonevan made a very bashful post about Fatman and I was bandwagoning it and saying why Fatman is a fraud... dragonborn not FP5, Waluigi not looking likely with Byleth going unleaked. I don’t mind if he doesn’t accept my apology because i’m not sure if I deserve it. That’s what Smash speculation has done to me. It’s become more toxic than fun.

I need to just focus on life and other games. I’ll still always hope for Geno but tbh i’m not feeling he’s that likely anymore with the ****ty setup of the second pass that I really dislike. Again, not trying to get hate for this. It’s possible to be a Geno fan and also be worried about his chances.

Either way, i’ll still be rooting for him under the hood, i’ll still hope that he happens. Same for Waluigi or whatever other character I want.

But it’s just not worth it spending months involved in toxicity filled speculation only for the end result for be more months of toxicity.

To all those complaining about Byleth or telling others “hoes mad!!!1”. Grow the **** up. You two crowds are just as bad as each other. You guys are the reason I don’t want to be part of this ride anymore.

StarLight42 signing out.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace

But I can just hear the ''Mario is overrepresented starting."

Honestly, I never got the argument of "Too many Mario characters" or "Too many Pokemon" as a counter to "Too much Fire Emblem". FE is rather niche even among Nintendo fans while Mario is Nintendo's mascot and Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time, they probably deserve to have the most reps. Now, I hated Incineroar, but that was because I felt Decidueye or Mimikyu were much better picks and I just don't like Incineroar's design at all.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Still crazy to me how Nintendo put more effort keeping Byleth a secret more than Banjo.
Don't count out opportunism rather than deliberate action. It likely got away unleaked for the same reason Robin did in Smash 4. It was an in-house character that required no outside conversations and since it was announced in its own independent release directly from the Smash team it likely skipped a lot of the marketing folk characters usually go through.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
"Dread it. Run from it. Pie still arrives. Be sure to let it cool before you eat it, though." - Purple Pie Man, 2020
PurplePieMan.png

D

Deleted member

Has everyone who was angry about fighter five calmed down, yet? Just wanted to make sure.
I was never mad. Just, disappointed. Me and my friends were all like “Really, Fire Emblem?” But, we all lost it in the mii costume section.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
"Nobody cares about old boomer characters. All those kids are too old to play video games."

-Some Zoomer intern flossing at NoA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom