• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemitic

Banned via Warnings
Hello, I'm new here. I've been watching this thread for a while and decided to make an account. I really feel like Geno is on his way and the idea of Waluigi and Dragonborn is just amazing. I can't wait.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hello, I'm new here. I've been watching this thread for a while and decided to make an account. I really feel like Geno is on his way and the idea of Waluigi and Dragonborn is just amazing. I can't wait.
Welcome! We always enjoy having new people join the star boi army. Also, a fellow Plant player? A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Last edited:

Nemitic

Banned via Warnings
Welcome! We always enjoy having new people join the star boi army. Also, a fellow Plant player? A surprise to be sure, but a welcomed one.
Yeah, Plant's really fun to play as. I was quite surprised. I love it so much.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I dunno. The extra wait isn't exactly a bad thing either. Like I said the other day, we've established a timeline that 5 was probably complete enough to present in November but they held off and that suggests one or more characters are now ready to present along with them. If anything it solidifies a double reveal or more do the wait should definitely be worth it in the end.
I have a feeling that they know what they're doing with this whole waiting game
PicsArt_01-12-09.33.35-1.jpg

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I'm just going to pose a question since we're getting so close to a hypothetical Direct that hypothetically may contain some Smash reveals and that also would hippothicketly be preluded with leaks of some kind:

Would you rather someone or some source of credence leak Geno's reveal? Or would you want those in the know to go black and keep the secret until the trailer unveils itself?

I'm in camp Tight Lips. I've been waiting for Geno for a long loooong while and after suffering through shaft after shaft, forgery after fakery and now that the light at the end of the tunnel seems brighter than it has ever been, I've come to realize that despite wanting desperately to know if our boy made it as soon as possible, I don't want even a second of catharsis taken from an official reveal. We're getting into the danger zone I feel and I don't want to go dark from websites like this, and I know that these days everything leaks eventually, but I just wanted to open some dialogue to see how everyone else here feels about this conundrum. If someone here DOES happen to know if he's in and is keeping their poker face on, my respect and thanks to you for realizing how much of a big deal it is and for attempting to preserve the magnitude of the bombshell about to go off (again, Hypno-tickley speaking). There are no wrong choices; everyone deserves to expect things differently, it's just my two cents on the matter.
If I'm being quite honest, I really just don't care. Doesn't matter if insiders straight up tell us Geno is in or if I have to wait till his sure to be earthshattering reveal trailer drops, I'm gonna be hyped for the puppet all the same!

New PapaGenos video
PapaGenos knows how to catch my attention with silly puns in the title lmao. I'm on my way to watch it.

Yo welcome aboard! I'm as excited about them as you are.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Welcome! Always a pleasure to have new people on board.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I wanna know what Japans reaction is gonna be if Sora gets in smash
I'm sure it's gonna be huge like the rest of the world. Sora is one of most wanted in Japan too.
As for Geno, I think he'll be like Banjo. Some old smash fan would be hype, but not so much overall. I think his popularity is mainly from the US. People here often bring up Nintendo tweets showing love towards Geno, but those are only NoA's doings you know. I don't remember Japanese Nintendo HQ gave him nods like NoA did.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Welcome aboard! it's great so see some new faces around here, so please enjoy the thread as much as you can pal
PicsArt_01-12-09.40.45.png

D

Deleted member

I'm sure it's gonna be huge like the rest of the world. Sora is one of most wanted in Japan too.
As for Geno, I think he'll be like Banjo. Some old smash fan would be hype, but not so much overall. I think his popularity is mainly from the US. People here often bring up Nintendo tweets showing love towards Geno, but those are only NoA's doings you know. I don't remember Japanese Nintendo HQ gave him nods like NoA did.
Where the hell were you when Banjo was revealed?

Edit: Also, I know this is a fan poll but still.
55000B59-B7C9-475F-928E-EF46D22108B0.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Welcome! Complimentary Geno Hat for all your meme needs:
Hat time.png

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Could just as well mean nothing, but there's some more maintenance coming up this week, and the times again line up with the previous times for the maintenance on the days when the previous DLC characters came out.
Screenshot_20200112-194200~2.png

MattX20

Smash Hero
Could just as well mean nothing, but there's some more maintenance coming up this week, and the times again line up with the previous times for the maintenance on the days when the previous DLC characters came out.
Yep, this does line up with DLC releases for the Fighter Pass so far

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
View attachment 256953
That's actually coming handy for me too. For whatever reason, I always had cropped the hat out of his SMRPG render everytime I wanted to make a meme and never thought of just making it into a separate image to make things easier. I'm dumb :ultpacman:

Could just as well mean nothing, but there's some more maintenance coming up this week, and the times again line up with the previous times for the maintenance on the days when the previous DLC characters came out. View attachment 256952
I'm not jumping straight to the conclusion that we're having a Direct coming up this week either, but that's pretty eyebrow raising either way. Hmm...

marth geno thinking.png

Last edited:

JayZoob

Smash Rookie
Could just as well mean nothing, but there's some more maintenance coming up this week, and the times again line up with the previous times for the maintenance on the days when the previous DLC characters came out. View attachment 256952
Are these the same kinds of maintenance that happened for the DLC characters? I remember people were also using maintenance as evidence for a direct last week and while we technically did get one it wasn't on any of the days when it was occurring plus I also know that the type of maintenance last week was some sort of weird one on update data distribution.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I would be pretty surprised if Fighter 5 wasn't already done, but then again, fighters would take plenty of time to develop and fine tune. So I dunno, I just want them revealed at the very least. :surprised:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So is the Pokemon direct trend unbroken or have their been times where one didn't precede a nintendo direct? Trying to gauge just how reliable this line of reasoning is.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I dunno. The extra wait isn't exactly a bad thing either. Like I said the other day, we've established a timeline that 5 was probably complete enough to present in November but they held off and that suggests one or more characters are now ready to present along with them. If anything it solidifies a double reveal or more do the wait should definitely be worth it in the end.
You don't understand though fatman.... I can't hold out much longer. This waiting is killing me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Where the hell were you when Banjo was revealed?

Edit: Also, I know this is a fan poll but still.
The Japanese polling data has always been one of the least reliable gauges of popularity for actual stuff in Japan considering they've almost always been conducted from the outside looking in with fairly small sample sizes. Source Gaming did this poll specifically and in regards to it:

"Hello! I’m happy to present the ‘final results’ for which characters are being requested in Japan. I mentioned this in the Tentative Results post, but please understand how these votes were calculated. Essentially, I read over 1,000 posts, tweets, etc and counted how often a character’s name was mentioned, and in what context. This time, I decided to add “points” based on how that user felt about the character. If a user felt that a character was a “shoo-in” then I awarded more points. On the reverse, if a character was seen as “less-likely” then they got less “points”. The reason I did this is because this method is highly ineffective for actually counting how much a character is requested. This is because with this method, I’m bound to pick up on the loudest fanbases. The loudest fanbase is not necessarily the biggest. Instead of acting like I can actually measure the biggest fanbase, I decided to fully embrace measuring the loud fanbases."

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

Japan is one of the hardest things to measure in regards to Smash fandom and in terms of speculation, so it's just good to keep this stuff in mind when considering different polls of any kind attempting to "make sense of the Smash fandom in Japan."

D

Deleted member

So um...

View attachment 256960
View attachment 256962
View attachment 256963

Don't worry about the post date discrepancy, the timer live updates every time you refresh, take a look yourselves:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...tion-trilogy-hd.155302/page-334#post-28083660

It might actually be happening guys...
Wait, is this when Nintendo will make the announcement of a direct or the actual direct itself?

Edit:
The Japanese polling data has always been one of the least reliable gauges of popularity for actual stuff in Japan considering they've almost always been conducted from the outside looking in with fairly small sample sizes. Source Gaming did this poll specifically and in regards to it:

"Hello! I’m happy to present the ‘final results’ for which characters are being requested in Japan. I mentioned this in the Tentative Results post, but please understand how these votes were calculated. Essentially, I read over 1,000 posts, tweets, etc and counted how often a character’s name was mentioned, and in what context. This time, I decided to add “points” based on how that user felt about the character. If a user felt that a character was a “shoo-in” then I awarded more points. On the reverse, if a character was seen as “less-likely” then they got less “points”. The reason I did this is because this method is highly ineffective for actually counting how much a character is requested. This is because with this method, I’m bound to pick up on the loudest fanbases. The loudest fanbase is not necessarily the biggest. Instead of acting like I can actually measure the biggest fanbase, I decided to fully embrace measuring the loud fanbases."

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

Japan is one of the hardest things to measure in regards to Smash fandom and in terms of speculation, so it's just good to keep this stuff in mind when considering different polls of any kind attempting to "make sense of the Smash fandom in Japan."
Interesting. So, the only way to get conclusive data is to do an actual poll in Japan itself?

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Are these the same kinds of maintenance that happened for the DLC characters? I remember people were also using maintenance as evidence for a direct last week and while we technically did get one it wasn't on any of the days when it was occurring plus I also know that the type of maintenance last week was some sort of weird one on update data distribution.
Yep, same kind and roughly same times for the other characters' maintenance, give or take an hour because of daylight savings time. Last week's could have been for the Pokemon direct. Maintenance on Wednesday night so they could release the update and stuff in the morning on Thursday.

So um...

View attachment 256960
View attachment 256962
View attachment 256963

Don't worry about the post date discrepancy, the timer live updates every time you refresh, take a look yourselves:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...tion-trilogy-hd.155302/page-334#post-28083660

Does this guy have any credibility though? Because it could easily just be a countdown to when the direct would be announced if it's next week.
EDIT: Huh, I missed the part about him putting the countdown for the Pokemon direct... Maybe this really could be something.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So um...

View attachment 256960
View attachment 256962
View attachment 256963

To clarify, these dates are specifically for Direct announcements, not the Directs themselves. The Pokemon Direct was announced on the 7th last week.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
This is a bit aggressive when he's just sharing his opinion on some characters, and ragging on the type of content he makes is not only completely irrelevant, but it's just not necessary. In this chunk of your post (I do agree with a lot of what you say earlier) you come across as exceedingly petty and angry that JWittz doesn't want Geno. Claiming that he's on the "Wrong Side of History" is a bit extreme when he put forward the fact that he personally doesn't want a character that you want in Smash.

As well as this, you bump your gums a bit about how Geno is literally the best pick for all future DLC because he sets a standard for anyone to come in, and so not wanting Geno is essentially shooting your own most wanted in the foot. This is ridiculous, and comes across as you aggressively pushing Geno into everyone because you just have to have him, he helps everyone, start supporting Geno for your MW's sake- which is really counterproductive if you're trying to get more people to support Geno, as they now have an image of a fanatic Geno fan who will not hesitate to push him into any conversation about Smash.

To add to this, you get seemingly very angry that he's picked popular picks for discussion. Characters that are talked about more are not only more likely to bring more views in (Geno is popular in Smash speculation and is in the thumbnail), but as people are more familiar with the top picks like Geno and Doomguy compared to, say, Grovyle or Quote, that generates more discussion and people know the characters in terms of Smash speculation better. this also may be nitpicking but he doesn't bash every popular pick. Lloyd, Waluigi, Dante, Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Isaac, Sora and others all "escape" unscathed. You may feel this way because you like the characters on the list, but Captain Toad, Chorus Kids, Goku, Byleth (and to an extent) Rayman aren't all massive fan favourites.

Also, bashing his channel's success and who he wants for Smash is unneeded and comes across as very spiteful.

Finally, if the video is a troll video (and I think it's a bit unfair to discount the whole video as being a troll video, he is allowed to have these opinions), then haven't you just took the bait hook, line, and sinker?
This is all based off the idea that I'm actually upset, which I'm not. I would know, because if I was, I would be making multiple posts and spitting fire about in IRL...which I'm not. I forgot all about this shortly after because it doesn't matter.

This is nothing but a troll video, really. There is no reason to make this video and it's not really about characters he doesn't want, but it's all about finding the big popular picks and saying 'I don't want them' which is either a dumb hipster-esq video if serious or a troll video if it isn't. Either way, it's a video that is a nothing more than a waste of time...and I say that not to be mean to JWittz but to just be flat out honest. He even admits in the beginning that he could be listing just general characters he doesn't want but he SPECIFICALLY went after popular characters only.

As for me being a fanatic...I'm sorry, what? Just because I've told the truth on how Geno getting into Ultimate means that pretty much any character no matter how obscure or dead they are is on the table with enough fan support behind them and thus actively not wanting Geno in is actively going against your character's chances and ESPECIALLY for those like Shantae or Isaac who just are not likely for a multitude of reasons. In the same way the putting Goku in the game would open the doors for just about anything, Geno opens the doors for just about any video game character just by his nature.

I made this bit long post about it like a month or so ago, you can go and read that to get a better idea.

Also, when I said that he's on the 'Wrong Side of History' it was a joke in reference to how Geno is very likely to get in but picks like Shantae, Master Chief and Steve have a much lesser chance. It was basically saying he is rooting for the losing team.

Truly, I don't get upset about much other than current social issues in regards to video games, like trashy companies and the people who buy their products. This was just me pointing out that his video is truly pointless and exist only to stir the pot and thus I trolled right back. JWittz is a solid dude but he is irrelevant in terms of content and this video never needed to be made.

Also, of course he's not against all of them: he wants Dante, Crash, Waluigi and Sora. Why would you say you don't want characters you actually do want?

D

Deleted member

Er, hold on guys.
B2ADFCB9-A6C6-45E2-8E19-B0B0069F82CE.jpeg

Edit: Also, hello cowards from ResetEra. Love reading your wonderful comments about us.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
So um...

View attachment 256960
View attachment 256962
View attachment 256963

You guys are just too much sometimes; LOL.

Dark Cloud doesn't have any insider info. Directs are generally revealed at the same time each time one happens (11 PM JST), and he has made plenty of timers that have mostly been misses. Sorry to ruin the magic.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Dark Cloud isn't an insider; the clock is just timed to a POTENTIAL direct announcement, if there is one next week. Nintendo always announces on certain days at certain times.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So um...

View attachment 256960
View attachment 256962
View attachment 256963

Well... One of my contacts messaged me about this a few minutes ago and, uh, let's just say I'll definitely be watching this date. I don't know if this will be the actual Direct or just an announcement so we may actually be in the end game now.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Everyone is talking about Direct dates, meanwhile I'm like...

Oh my gosh, Kremling Kommander Kremling Kommander you got a new profile picture! Why did you change it from your namesake to Decidueye?

Edit: Wait... it isn't changed? ...but there literally was a Decidueye by your name as your icon. ...am I going crazy?

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 256953
I try to save the image on mobile and it doesn’t save as a render, RIP

Everyone is talking about Direct dates, meanwhile I'm like...

Oh my gosh, Kremling Kommander Kremling Kommander you got a new profile picture! Why did you change it from your namesake to Decidueye?

Edit: Wait... it isn't changed? ...but there literally was a Decidueye by your name as your icon. ...am I going crazy?
Wrong guy lol, that’s @Kremling Man
Edit: Accidental double post

D

Deleted member

Well... One of my contacts messaged me about this a few minutes ago and, uh, let's just say I'll definitely be watching this date. I don't know if this will be the actual Direct or just an announcement so we may actually be in the end game now.
Any chance that your contact was a bit coy of the upcoming direct?

Cahalan

Smash Ace
We're finally approaching the end of this wild ride..... I can't believe it. T^T

I'd pay close attention to that one twitter user that listed various 2020 titles and mentioned the 16th as being when we get the direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom