• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2by4

Smash Lord
https://youtu.be/zv-KPD72gHY

Definitely one of my favorite songs, especially since it was used for the Geno fight. I really hope that if he gets revealed that he has some sort of connection to Rosalina. If the trailer starts with either her, somewhere in space, or in a forest imma lose it.

Maybe even have the luma interact with the geno star since they are technically not the same type of star.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Worth noting asshole isn't censored anymore.

Also worth noting that kind of close to racist jokes are usually not going to come off well in public. Doesn't make you remotely racist, the jokes just rarely work.
Right. To the general public, many offensive jokes don’t usually work anymore. The whole concept of comedy has changed significantly in recent years. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to the perspective of person who thinks the joke is offensive or funny.

Geno cool.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
So, a lot of signs that we could be getting a megaton Direct as soon as next week and there's a possibility that its the day that some of us have waited for most of our lives for. I know it's kind of weird to say but I feel this is a good time for quiet reflection but it honestly is when you think about everything that has happened in the past year. Hero's datamine unintentionally leaked around this time last year and that's something all in itself to consider. Most people believed that was Geno's "dead in the water" moment and yet, here we are, more optimistic than we probably have ever been as a collective fanbase. Not to be too trite but it's funny how life works out sometimes.
I can't believe i'm saying this but...the end of the road is closer than what we thought. let's hope for the better and our wishes will come true thanks to Star Road
PicsArt_01-10-09.23.36.png

D

Deleted member

And I never said you did. Just making a statement just in case anyone thought that. I’d like to make a good impression on people and I don’t want people to believe like im some a**hole saying racist jokes are funny. Certainly some aren’t funny but people do have different kinds of humor.

Edit: If some were offended by my statement, I apologize.
I'll fully admit that I'm one of those assholes that find racist jokes funny. I mean as long as they're funny of course. Some are just in bad taste and not funny but they're funny when they are funny. SmashBoards isn't the most appropriate place to share them though, obviously.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Right. To the general public, many offensive jokes don’t usually work anymore. The whole concept of comedy has changed significantly in recent years. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to the perspective of person who thinks the joke is offensive or funny.

Geno cool.
Hence why I suggest to always keep 'em private at times. Know your audience and all. I have a lot of bad ones, to say the least.

D

Deleted member

Hence why I suggest to always keep 'em private at times. Know your audience and all. I have a lot of bad ones, to say the least.
I'll fully admit that I'm one of those assholes that find racist jokes funny. I mean as long as they're funny of course. Some are just in bad taste and not funny but they're funny when they are funny. SmashBoards isn't the most appropriate place to share them though, obviously.
Yeah. Let’s keep it PG here in the Geno thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
- Super Metroid Remake
- Paper Mario 64 Remake
- Earthbound Remake
- Wario Land VB Remake
- Golden Sun 1 & 2 Remake

If what Fatman is saying is true.
God I hope to death it's true. I've been dying for some Paper Mario and Wario Land action on the Switch!

D

Deleted member

PG? As in, Papa Genos?
Obviously.

Now, back to Geno. Does anyone think Mallow could be included via a Morgana situation? Like with taunts and victory screens?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So, a lot of signs that we could be getting a megaton Direct as soon as next week and there's a possibility that its the day that some of us have waited for most of our lives for. I know it's kind of weird to say but I feel this is a good time for quiet reflection but it honestly is when you think about everything that has happened in the past year. Hero's datamine unintentionally leaked around this time last year and that's something all in itself to consider. Most people believed that was Geno's "dead in the water" moment and yet, here we are, more optimistic than we probably have ever been as a collective fanbase. Not to be too trite but it's funny how life works out sometimes.
As someone who’s been in the Smash online fandom for almost as long as some of the guys on here have been alive, it’s incredibly surreal to think that Geno might finally be making it in. We’re almost there guys. The Direct is coming. Be it next week or later. And, however long it takes, I just wanna say to everyone
94613BCE-37A4-4AF3-ABB0-2EEEB96B96B1.jpeg

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
It's a serene feeling, just thinking back to last year and all the speculation that happened. All the leaks, theories about the pass, etc. It's a special feeling that nothing else gives you. While we are getting more DLC characters, it still feels like the end of an era after we get past FP5. And just like Fatman said, we started off last year with little hope, and we ended last year with a gallon of hope which strongly continues into this year. To think we might end up getting Geno and maybe another fan favorite like Waluigi in a week is one heck of a feeling that I have trouble describing with words.

It's funny seeing all the characters we were very confident about being FP5. Ryu Hayabusa, then Doom Slayer and Geno, then Dante, Phoenix Wright, Kos-Mos, and now the frontrunners seem to be Dovahkiin and Arle. This has been a rollercoaster ride and I'm glad I was able to, and will continue to experience it with all you.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
>geno dead in the water

Anyone have that photoshop of pinochio shopped as Geno laying face down in a puddle of water. Got a new phone and lost it and need to save it for later memes.

You seem really confident that this could be Geno's time Fatmanonice Fatmanonice What would you rate his chances of him being in this direct or even being in at all? (as a fighter of course) I'd personally say maybe a 2% chance, but around 75% for E3 since I think they are gonna want to do the bige reveals then.
My confidence stems from a lot of things (I wrote a whole damn 6000 word essay, after all) but the confirmation of a "announcement- polish- release" cycle by not one but two of my contacts make me feel like it's possibly time.

Plant: evidence that he was being debugged as early as August 2018, announced November 2018, released a little less than 2 months later in February 2019.

Joker: announced December 2018, teased February 2019, released April 2018

Hero: announced mid June 2019, released final day of July 2019

Banjo: announced mid June 2019, released early September 2019

Terry: announced September 2019, released November 2019

This implies that 5 could have been announced as early as November but wasn't. Two months have passed since which heavily implies that, if this cycle continues, 5 is totally done. Again, based on what my contacts said, two additional characters recently started the "polish" stage meaning they are essentially ready to be revealed. Based on what we've seen since 2015 with DLC characters, Nintendo likely won't be holding onto both characters until E3. We've established that one of Nintendo's most consistent patterns is one major Direct before E3 so it definitely creates a now or never moment. Either my contacts' intel was correct and three characters are currently "ready" to be revealed or they were both wrong; there's no in-between.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Worth noting asshole isn't censored anymore.

Also worth noting that kind of close to racist jokes are usually not going to come off well in public. Doesn't make you remotely racist, the jokes just rarely work.
If you're making racist jokes or straddling the line of racist jokes, there's still a point to be made that you're being racist. It's not a binary choice between racist or not, it's a scale like most things and just being apathetic or uncaring about racist content can either be a form of racism or just privilege in general. Now there are obviously lines that are worse to cross than others and there's a lot of nuance to this topic as to how bad and impactful certain things are, but I still think "close to racist" stuff is still indicative of more problematic behavior on a wider level of race conversations.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you're making racist jokes or straddling the line of racist jokes, there's still a point to be made that you're being racist. It's not a binary choice between racist or not, it's a scale like most things and just being apathetic or uncaring about racist content can either be a form of racism or just privilege in general. Now there are obviously lines that are worse to cross than others and there's a lot of nuance to this topic as to how bad and impactful certain things are, but I still think "close to racist" stuff is still indicative of more problematic behavior on a wider level of race conversations.
Nah. I think people are just being funny and don't have any intent beyond that.

They just chose jokes that don't work well with the audience. Jokes aren't meant to be taken seriously(offensively isn't the same as seriously). I don't believe they're bad people on the inside or legitimately feel that way. People who are actually like that easily can show it when called out. And most actually apologize cause they realized it sounded bad. Those who try to make excuses and pretend it's okay to say sound like the actual problematic racist people to me.

I don't see the point nor will ever agree there's a point to be made whatsoever. The point is "that's not something people will like to hear" instead. Making accusations of racism over jokes assumes malicious intent, when there rarely is any.

(I'm not going to continue this beyond this post, though. My keys are all sticking so I can't type most stuff and it's frankly off-topic anyway).

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yeah. Let’s keep it PG here in the Geno thread.
PG?! As in "Persecute Gays"?! Wow, I guess we know who the real racist is! :ultpacman:

We aren't even making racist jokes, really. It's more like jokes about the concept of racism, which wouldn't really count. After all, racism is about being derogatory and discriminatory towards a specific race. If your joke isn't at the expense of anyone's race, then it isn't racist.

T2by4

Smash Lord
My confidence stems from a lot of things (I wrote a whole damn 6000 word essay, after all) but the confirmation of a "announcement- polish- release" cycle by not one but two of my contacts make me feel like it's possibly time.

Plant: evidence that he was being debugged as early as August 2018, announced November 2018, released a little less than 2 months later in February 2019.

Joker: announced December 2018, teased February 2019, released April 2018

Hero: announced mid June 2019, released final day of July 2019

Banjo: announced mid June 2019, released early September 2019

Terry: announced September 2019, released November 2019

This implies that 5 could have been announced as early as November but wasn't. Two months have passed since which heavily implies that, if this cycle continues, 5 is totally done. Again, based on what my contacts said, two additional characters recently started the "polish" stage meaning they are essentially ready to be revealed. Based on what we've seen since 2015 with DLC characters, Nintendo likely won't be holding onto both characters until E3. We've established that one of Nintendo's most consistent patterns is one major Direct before E3 so it definitely creates a now or never moment. Either my contacts' intel was correct and three characters are currently "ready" to be revealed or they were both wrong; there's no in-between.
Well they may be ready to be revealed, doesn't mean sakurai can't hold onto more than 1 for another direct after. Im hoping he does reveal em all in one shot tho. The wait is killing me.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
If it's true that 3 fighters are ready to be announced, I actually hope that they will only reveal up to 2. As hype as a triple reveal would be, it would create a long drought before they announce Fighter 8. Waiting for 4 months without knowing the next character is painful enough, and I do not want to have to wait any longer than that.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
As someone who’s been in the Smash online fandom for almost as long as some of the guys on here have been alive, it’s incredibly surreal to think that Geno might finally be making it in. We’re almost there guys. The Direct is coming. Be it next week or later. And, however long it takes, I just wanna say to everyone
View attachment 256609
Nice job, let's sit down and see how things go
PicsArt_01-10-09.56.14.jpg

Griselda

Smash Lord
..I'd just like to reiterate that I don't like being here. For every good thing that 'makes my day', I have to scroll past three or four things that piss me off.

I said a little while back that once Geno's in, I might just leave, and I'm seriously considering it again.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Every time I think about fighter 5, all I can think is "tick, tick, tick." as in "Time is running dry, Nintendo."

I just want it over with already. Popular character, unpopular character, it really does not matter. Character's a character.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
In case anyone was wondering Geno is not racist.

That I know of...

idk it’s hard to say because he’s only been in one game. But I’m like 90% sure Geno from Super Mario RPG is not a racist.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Greetings once again fellow Genobros!

As we await the imminent announcement of a Nintendo Direct, I'd like to share an idea in regards to Geno. What if let's say, we got an expansion for the World of Light campaign in Ultimate, consisting of a new map with new spirit battles + spirits to collect, but most importantly with a new threat that must be stopped.

The map leads the player up into the outer reaches of the World (outer space) by means of the giant spiral of spirits that formed after the true ending of WoL. In this new map, an amorphous, powerful being is absorbing the spirits that were released from the World of Light. This new "evil" is a familiar one, but with many faces. At the end of the map, this new "fiend" awaits, bearing its different faces; each of course being a different phase. All of the phases will share three basic parts; a circular core that will glow at its center with a symbol that identifies the current phase, a pair of hands, and a cape. The phases are the following:

Phase 1: Cackletta (Soul)
Core Symbol: Heart
Origin: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Description: The first phase of this new foe dons the face, claws, and cape of the infamous doppelganger Cackletta from the Bean Kingdom. It will employ attacks such as projecting a copy of itself on the opposite side of the screen, at times both attacking in synchrony. It will also launch fire balls, and lightning bolts at the player(s).

Phase 2: Shadow Queen (True Form)
Core Symbol: Diamond
Origin: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Description: In this phase, it dons the face, crown, and veil of the Shadow Queen, as well as its shadowy hands. Most of its attacks will consist of it swiping its hands at the player(s) or grabbing them, causing damage. Beware, as its hands will fade out, and reappear when its about to attack. It will also cast a glare that can hit the player wherever they are located on the stage (recommended to dodge since it also inflicts serious shield damage).

Phase 3: Dimentio
Core Symbol: Club
Origin: Super Paper Mario
Description: The demented jester is manifested in the third phase, the core donning its face, neck piece, and hands. It will launch energy projectiles at players, and can create small vacuums that will absorb any who comes into contact with it, and shoot them out with force (careful if at high percent). It can also increase the number of energy projectiles in can shoot simultaneously.

Phase 4: Fawful (Dark Star)
Core Symbol: Star
Origin: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Description: "I HAVE FURY!!!" Unfortunately this manifestation cannot speak, but its powers are still to be feared. Donning the wily grin and glasses, as well as the claws made of dark star energy. In this phase it will have a smaller dark star orb floating around it, at times approaching the player and firing multiple energy projectiles (alternating between fan patterns, all directions, etc.). The hands will at times try to grab the player(s), which will leave them open to projectile impacts. It will also try to bite the player.

Phase 5: Antasma
Core Symbol: Spade
Origin: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Description: The living nightmare is manifested in this phase, donning the fiendish mask, cape, and claws of Antasma. It will attack by transforming its entire body into a swarm of bats, and move quickly to the opposite side of the screen (similar to Dracula's bat swarm attack). It will also at certain moments summon numerous miniature saws that will ascend through the stage (easy to dodge, but if hit by one, it could lead to being comboed into the others). It will also fire projectiles of energy (somewhat larger than those fired by the previous phases), and can also summon orbs of nightmare energy around the player that will circle around them until they draw into each other to hurt the player (dodge when the circle's about to close).

Phase 6 (Final): ♥♪!?
Core Symbol: None
Origin: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Description: The final phase recreates the face, hands, and cape of a dear, yet long forgotten friend. Corrupted by the passage of time and loss of faith, the core reveals its true form, posing the final challenge to the player(s). It's attacks are variations of ones the starling could perform in the past while possessing the Geno doll. It's hands can shoot rapid-fire rounds of bullets, as well as fire larger bills (cannon balls) from its hands' neck. When both hands are raised, reaching almost the top of the screen, it will fire numerous, random beams of light (of different colors) towards the stage. When it moves towards one side of the screen, it will prepare to fire off a powerful beam (a buffed Geno Beam). When it's HP threshold reaches critical levels, it will begin to use a buffed version of Geno Flash. It will move towards the background, and its face will transform, recreating a high-tech cannon that will fire off a sonic blast (it causes low damage, but has absurd knockback; similar to Tabuu's attack which could send player's off the screen in an instant).

After defeating this foe, the core will fall onto the stage. A CG cutscene then plays, showing the core beginning to crack open, as light begins to shine out of it. As the core cracks open, from within it comes out a small, bright star. As it moves around, flying curiously around the fighters, it then flies off, and the spirits are once again released. The spirits carry the fighters back to the surface, as the sky is now a clear blue. Near the end of the cutscene, once all the fighters arrive on the surface (near the hill from the opening of WoL), a mysterious fighter walks towards them. It's Geno, finally making its entrance. The other fighters welcome him; Mario, Bowser, and Peach knowing that he's ♥♪!?, and are overjoyed to see him back to normal.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
In case anyone was wondering Geno is not racist.

That I know of...

idk it’s hard to say because he’s only been in one game. But I’m like 90% sure Geno from Super Mario RPG is not a racist.
I dunno man, a group of refugees immigrating from their war-torn country in search of new opprotunities getting harassed and murdered by a 6-man army of xenophobes brandishing hammers, frying pans, clubs and guns? Sounds pretty racist to me! :ultpacman:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Greetings once again fellow Genobros!

As we await the imminent announcement of a Nintendo Direct, I'd like to share an idea in regards to Geno. What if let's say, we got an expansion for the World of Light campaign in Ultimate, consisting of a new map with new spirit battles + spirits to collect, but most importantly with a new threat that must be stopped.

The map leads the player up into the outer reaches of the World (outer space) by means of the giant spiral of spirits that formed after the true ending of WoL. In this new map, an amorphous, powerful being is absorbing the spirits that were released from the World of Light. This new "evil" is a familiar one, but with many faces. At the end of the map, this new "fiend" awaits, bearing its different faces; each of course being a different phase. All of the phases will share three basic parts; a circular core that will glow at its center with a symbol that identifies the current phase, a pair of hands, and a cape. The phases are the following:

Phase 1: Cackletta (Soul)
Core Symbol: Heart
Origin: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Description: The first phase of this new foe dons the face, claws, and cape of the infamous doppelganger Cackletta from the Bean Kingdom. It will employ attacks such as projecting a copy of itself on the opposite side of the screen, at times both attacking in synchrony. It will also launch fire balls, and lightning bolts at the player(s).

Phase 2: Shadow Queen (True Form)
Core Symbol: Diamond
Origin: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Description: In this phase, it dons the face, crown, and veil of the Shadow Queen, as well as its shadowy hands. Most of its attacks will consist of it swiping its hands at the player(s) or grabbing them, causing damage. Beware, as its hands will fade out, and reappear when its about to attack. It will also cast a glare that can hit the player wherever they are located on the stage (recommended to dodge since it also inflicts serious shield damage).

Phase 3: Dimentio
Core Symbol: Club
Origin: Super Paper Mario
Description: The demented jester is manifested in the third phase, the core donning its face, neck piece, and hands. It will launch energy projectiles at players, and can create small vacuums that will absorb any who comes into contact with it, and shoot them out with force (careful if at high percent). It can also increase the number of energy projectiles in can shoot simultaneously.

Phase 4: Fawful (Dark Star)
Core Symbol: Star
Origin: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Description: "I HAVE FURY!!!" Unfortunately this manifestation cannot speak, but its powers are still to be feared. Donning the wily grin and glasses, as well as the claws made of dark star energy. In this phase it will have a smaller dark star orb floating around it, at times approaching the player and firing multiple energy projectiles (alternating between fan patterns, all directions, etc.). The hands will at times try to grab the player(s), which will leave them open to projectile impacts. It will also try to bite the player.

Phase 5: Antasma
Core Symbol: Spade
Origin: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Description: The living nightmare is manifested in this phase, donning the fiendish mask, cape, and claws of Antasma. It will attack by transforming its entire body into a swarm of bats, and move quickly to the opposite side of the screen (similar to Dracula's bat swarm attack). It will also at certain moments summon numerous miniature saws that will ascend through the stage (easy to dodge, but if hit by one, it could lead to being comboed into the others). It will also fire projectiles of energy (somewhat larger than those fired by the previous phases), and can also summon orbs of nightmare energy around the player that will circle around them until they draw into each other to hurt the player (dodge when the circle's about to close).

Phase 6 (Final): ♥♪!?
Core Symbol: None
Origin: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Description: The final phase recreates the face, hands, and cape of a dear, yet long forgotten friend. Corrupted by the passage of time and loss of faith, the core reveals its true form, posing the final challenge to the player(s). It's attacks are variations of ones the starling could perform in the past while possessing the Geno doll. It's hands can shoot rapid-fire rounds of bullets, as well as fire larger bills (cannon balls) from its hands' neck. When both hands are raised, reaching almost the top of the screen, it will fire numerous, random beams of light (of different colors) towards the stage. When it moves towards one side of the screen, it will prepare to fire off a powerful beam (a buffed Geno Beam). When it's HP threshold reaches critical levels, it will begin to use a buffed version of Geno Flash. It will move towards the background, and its face will transform, recreating a high-tech cannon that will fire off a sonic blast (it causes low damage, but has absurd knockback; similar to Tabuu's attack which could send player's off the screen in an instant).

After defeating this foe, the core will fall onto the stage. A CG cutscene then plays, showing the core beginning to crack open, as light begins to shine out of it. As the core cracks open, from within it comes out a small, bright star. As it moves around, flying curiously around the fighters, it then flies off, and the spirits are once again released. The spirits carry the fighters back to the surface, as the sky is now a clear blue. Near the end of the cutscene, once all the fighters arrive on the surface (near the hill from the opening of WoL), a mysterious fighter walks towards them. It's Geno, finally making its entrance. The other fighters welcome him; Mario, Bowser, and Peach knowing that he's ♥♪!?, and are overjoyed to see him back to normal.
As soon as I saw the name “Cackletta” I had to take a breath. My good sir, you can’t just casually put the idea of a video game where I can fight Cackletta, the Shadow Queen, and Fawful as Geno or Ridley or CAPTAIN FALCON in my brain like that. My old heart cannot take it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Nah. I think people are just being funny and don't have any intent beyond that.

They just chose jokes that don't work well with the audience. Jokes aren't meant to be taken seriously(offensively isn't the same as seriously). I don't believe they're bad people on the inside or legitimately feel that way. People who are actually like that easily can show it when called out. And most actually apologize cause they realized it sounded bad. Those who try to make excuses and pretend it's okay to say sound like the actual problematic racist people to me.

I don't see the point nor will ever agree there's a point to be made whatsoever. The point is "that's not something people will like to hear" instead. Making accusations of racism over jokes assumes malicious intent, when there rarely is any.

(I'm not going to continue this beyond this post, though. My keys are all sticking so I can't type most stuff and it's frankly off-topic anyway).
What you do subconsciously and what words you use will inevitably reveal a lot about your own circumstances in life though and that can reveal certain amounts of privilege and/or blindness to other issues. Again, I think it's inefficient to look at racism as a binary that either has to be met or not. You can have blatantly racist behaviors, problematic behaviors, or mindless behaviors that all can have relations to race/sex/gender/etc. Like, intent carries value of course, but the road to hell was paved with good intentions and a good intent does not always translate to the real impact of your actions.

Like you can not be racist and still engage in a racist or hurtful behavior because, again, it's not really a binary until people really try to force it into one. Absentmindedness can still be incredibly harmful and continue to perpetrate negative stereotypes and/or ideas. But, really, you do have to handle a lot of things on a case by case basis because, as I've been saying all along, things are nuanced and complicated, and often require a certain amount of untangling the pieces of what has been said/what has happened. Which is obviously difficult when we're talking about hypothetical stuff to begin with so I'll also drop it.

I just don't believe intent can fully absolve you of an otherwise problematic behavior or notion. It can lessen the impact a little, but it's also just being an adult and admitting when you ****ed up at a certain point despite not necessarily "meaning" something a certain way. Which is a totally natural situation to find yourself in because humans are imperfect by nature and **** up all the time despite their best efforts.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, can people just not continue this topic? Get the feeling that this could be the seeds for a bad exchange if people keep on going.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
And the Mario & Luigi: Superstar Cameo. And the Smash Spirit. And Mii costume. What do you mean cameos don't count? :p
Well you see none of those appearances were the full walking talking star spirit inhabiting a doll from Super Mario RPG for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System:

1. The superstar cameo was a gaming machine with small replications of the Geno doll. That machine was not racist. But it was also not Geno.

2. The spirit was approximation of Geno’s spirit, but was it the true star spirit or a spirit of the star spirit? How much of Geno was actually there other than a .png of his physical form? A .png can be racist and that .png was not but it was still not THE Geno.

3. Now we get to the mii costume. History has shown it is possible to make racist looking/named miis. And one of those racist miis could have on the Geno mii costume. But a racist mii wearing a Geno costume is not the same thing as the one true Geno having an “epic gamer moment”.

So as I previously stated we do not have sufficient evidence to say that Geno is not racist. Nothing of that nature was shown in Super Mario RPG for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. But 1996 was a long time ago and what was acceptable then is not acceptable now. So the next time Geno arrives on home consoles we need to take a critical eye to his words and actions and judge him thusly.

D

Deleted member

What you do subconsciously and what words you use will inevitably reveal a lot about your own circumstances in life though and that can reveal certain amounts of privilege and/or blindness to other issues. Again, I think it's inefficient to look at racism as a binary that either has to be met or not. You can have blatantly racist behaviors, problematic behaviors, or mindless behaviors that all can have relations to race/sex/gender/etc. Like, intent carries value of course, but the road to hell was paved with good intentions and a good intent does not always translate to the real impact of your actions.

Like you can not be racist and still engage in a racist or hurtful behavior because, again, it's not really a binary until people really try to force it into one. Absentmindedness can still be incredibly harmful and continue to perpetrate negative stereotypes and/or ideas. But, really, you do have to handle a lot of things on a case by case basis because, as I've been saying all along, things are nuanced and complicated, and often require a certain amount of untangling the pieces of what has been said/what has happened. Which is obviously difficult when we're talking about hypothetical stuff to begin with so I'll also drop it.

I just don't believe intent can fully absolve you of an otherwise problematic behavior or notion. It can lessen the impact a little, but it's also just being an adult and admitting when you ****ed up at a certain point.
I have nothing but respect for you Eric, but unfortunately this is a debate we're all gonna have to agree to disagree on my friend. I totally see where you're coming from and as much as I love dabbling into the taboo with these kind of discussions, this isn't the time and place. Let's all drop our guns and move on.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Yeah, can people just not continue this topic? Get the feeling that this could be the seeds for a bad exchange if people keep on going.
Agreed. Considering we may or may not get a Direct next week that may or may not be Geno's finest hour, now would be a good time to keep Geno as the main topic for a while.

So... do you guys think Geno can control the speed at which lobsters die?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well they may be ready to be revealed, doesn't mean sakurai can't hold onto more than 1 for another direct after. Im hoping he does reveal em all in one shot tho. The wait is killing me.
Potentially but let's consider what we have established so far as consistent patterns:

-For DLC characters, the farthest gap between announcement and release was Mewtwo in Smash 4, essentially a little more than 4 months when consider that Mewtwo was revealed very late October 2014 and released literally the first day of April 2015. Mewtwo had a character model and, uh, that was basically it. Mewtwo was shadowdropped and Lucas was announced, to be released about two months later at E3 with Roy and Ryu. Both these characters were datamined around this time as well..

-Joker was announced in December 2018, shown to have a working model in February 2019, released April 2019. 4 months, two months between announcement and first tease and then roughly another two months between first tease and release.

My hypothesis is that we essentially have a combination of both of these situations. Mewtwo in Smash 4 was revealed "early" but even then our pattern still has remained consistent for almost 5 years. About 4 months for the "announcement-polish-release" cycle. As I mentioned the other day, since 2013, new characters have only ever been announced during Directs and Sakurai has implied that "due to the budget" stand alone Smash Directs probably weren't going to happen. This means that the first half of the year Direct is basically the last real chance for character announcements until E3.

Now, going back to the cycle, we have an indication that, if 5 is totally done, 6 will probably be released in February or March. E3 is in mid June. That's a three month gap and we've established a very consistent pattern. February and April have seen DLC releases in the past as Mewtwo, Corrin, Bayo, Plant, and Joker, suggesting this pattern could easily continue. Based on these factors, we've already seen our deliberate "delay" just like with Roy and Ryu in Smash 4. 5 could have been revealed in November but wasn't, just like how Roy and Ryu could have been formally revealed in April 2015. This is why, dear friends, I strongly believe that we won't be seeing yet another deliberate delay, let alone a 5 month one.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Agreed. Considering we may or may not get a Direct next week that may or may not be Geno's finest hour, now would be a good time to keep Geno as the main topic for a while.

Well I know one thing

He can make them die faster
7950DDD6-172F-4395-9B8B-AC18CF2D2491.jpeg

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Yes.

So what day are we thinking the direct would be announced and then released?
They usually announce them at least a day or two in advance, and they tend to fall on wednesdays, so at this point I'm gonna say... announce on the 14th, Direct on the 15th.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They usually announce them at least a day or two in advance, and they tend to fall on wednesdays, so at this point I'm gonna say... announce on the 14th, Direct on the 15th.
I really hope it's at a good time. Things are going to get busy for me again next week, and I don't want my schedule getting in the way of watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom