• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I’m curious as to why everyone has doubts about Arle? Probability wise I feel like we are more likely to get a female character at this point.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
My favorite thing about this thread is how easy it is to make Geno memes. Just slap a Geno hat on something and you're golden!
Maybe this is how nintendo should deal with dlc. Just slap a Geno hat on any unpopular fighter and boom instant favorite.

D

Deleted member

I’m curious as to why everyone has doubts about Arle? Probability wise I feel like we are more likely to get a female character at this point.
Says who? We aren’t guaranteed a female fighter. Sure it would be cool.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
We’ve already received 4 male centered characters. When I say probability, I’m talking about literal probability of the chances of an outcome being the same are reduced is all.
I wouldn’t say that there’s evidence for her, but I doubt we would have an entire pass of all male characters.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
We’ve already received 4 male centered characters. When I say probability, I’m talking about literal probability of the chances of an outcome being the same are reduced is all.
I wouldn’t say that there’s evidence for her, but I doubt we would have an entire pass of all male characters.
This is a topic I know EricTheGamerman has talked about a lot before, and ForsakenM has debated him on.

As for me, I really don't think Sakurai nor Nintendo care what gender the characters are. In my opinion, that's a good thing. Because I think characters should be chosen depending on them as an actual character, not something like their appearance. Geno isn't wanted because he is a dude, he is wanted because he is a star spirit possessing the body of a doll that uses cool magical powers. Most people don't want/like characters because of something so one note like that. If someone wnats a character solely based on gender, well, I'm not gonna tell them they're wrong, but that is the definition of surface-level. Am I sexist? Hell to the no. But that stuff should be treated as secondary if it is to be treated as normal. Essentially, merit > gender/ethnicity or whatever. If people keep pointing to it and making it a big deal, it ultimately undermines the concept of gender equality by implying that this is the exception, and not the status quo.

There are tons of cool female reps though! 2B is a cool robot chick, Shantae is a cool half-genie hero, Arle could be a puzzle game rep, etc. All I'm saying is, is that there really doesn't need for there to be a box that is checked off that we must include a character that's like this or that. Sakurai wants to include characters, and that's what matters above all else. I certainly would concur that it'd be a shame if absolutely 0 females were in Ultimate's DLC cycle, but people should, above all, want cool characters.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Stand Name: Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms
Stand Ability: Shooting Star
Stats:
Power: A
Speed: A
Range: C
Durability: C
Precision: B
Potential: A
Stand Ability: A star shaped mushroom will appear on the targets body and give them hallucinations. (Someone add to this!)

Griselda

Smash Lord
it ultimately undermines the concept of gender equality by implying that this is the exception, and not the status quo.
Did you.. did you just quote Boom!Knuckles?

Either way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a character just because they're a woman. Call it shallow, if you want - but it's still as valid as any other reason for wanting any character.

JayZoob

Smash Rookie
Rumors and speculation are always such a messy yet truly fun experience. Sometimes I look at what we get in terms of rumors and the people who are able to get in contact with it and I do feel for everyone involved.

I think if I were someone who had insider information I too would be itching to just tell someone just so I could see their reaction to it (hence why I and am sure others love reaction videos). I think the main issue comes from that once you are seen as someone who DOES have insider info everything you say is taken as gospel and we all know that if any insider only gave us info when they were 100% sure it was correct then we would never really hear anything except like a day before a direct airs or something.

It creates this frustrating problem of wanting to have fun with speculation while also hoping that this one rumor you heard isn't gonna make someone crazy excited only for it to turn out false. It is why I tend to just look at rumors and leaks as a jumping off point for talking because without them any video game talk just kinda gets repetitive. I understand the frustration people have with them and even I fall into the trap when I read that tweet that included a PAPER MARIO remake (The literal first video game I ever played) and get all excited even though there is a risk it could be nothing.

So idk I feel for people when it comes to leaks, but like many things I tend to not take them to heart and just like to think about the potential of them as it gets me excited. I have rambled good day love u

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is a topic I know EricTheGamerman has talked about a lot before, and ForsakenM has debated him on.

As for me, I really don't think Sakurai nor Nintendo care what gender the characters are. In my opinion, that's a good thing. Because I think characters should be chosen depending on them as an actual character, not something like their appearance. Geno isn't wanted because he is a dude, he is wanted because he is a star spirit possessing the body of a doll that uses cool magical powers. Most people don't want/like characters because of something so one note like that. If someone wnats a character solely based on gender, well, I'm not gonna tell them they're wrong, but that is the definition of surface-level. Am I sexist? Hell to the no. But that stuff should be treated as secondary if it is to be treated as normal. Essentially, merit > gender/ethnicity or whatever. If people keep pointing to it and making it a big deal, it ultimately undermines the concept of gender equality by implying that this is the exception, and not the status quo.

There are tons of cool female reps though! 2B is a cool robot chick, Shantae is a cool half-genie hero, Arle could be a puzzle game rep, etc. All I'm saying is, is that there really doesn't need for there to be a box that is checked off that we must include a character that's like this or that. Sakurai wants to include characters, and that's what matters above all else. I certainly would concur that it'd be a shame if absolutely 0 females were in Ultimate's DLC cycle, but people should, above all, want cool characters.
Ahh, I see that you too have followed the teachings of the one who doesn't chuckle.

Still one of the best moments from the show.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Ahh, I see that you too have followed the teachings of the one who doesn't chuckle.

I miss Boom. I mean, I didn't (and still don't) like the voice cast, some of the writing, and the blue arms certain details of the character redesigns, but.. it just feels so empty without it, y'know? Sonic finally had another full cartoon series and then it just quietly died.

..Vaguely related question - how would you have felt if, after the Super Mario World cartoon, they made a SMRPG cartoon in the same style? Do you think they would've done Geno justice?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I miss Boom. I mean, I didn't (and still don't) like the voice cast, some of the writing, and the blue arms certain details of the character redesigns, but.. it just feels so empty without it, y'know? Sonic finally had another full cartoon series and then it just quietly died.

..Vaguely related question - how would you have felt if, after the Super Mario World cartoon, they made a SMRPG cartoon in the same style? Do you think they would've done Geno justice?
I am glad that Sonic has been still doing cartoon stuff with recent shorts, but yeah, it's kinda sad how Sonic Boom just poofed out of existence. It wasn't always the best and had issues(Some of which were probably out of their control), but it was still good.

I recall actually hanging out with a friend and watching those years and years ago. I doubt they would, considering how they approached everything else, but an adaptation of SMRPG would be a cool thing to see. It was one of the first Mario games to actually have a detailed narrative with character.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yeah, he did. Man, I miss Sonic Boom.

I also like this scene.

Geno would've had a JOISEY ACCENT for sure.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I actually had an idea for a The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!-style cartoon for Super Mario 64 when I was younger. It'd star Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Toad going through one painting per episode to stop King Koopa and whatever his evil scheme was and save Toadstool. Each one would be in a different setting like the episodes in Super Show!.

Man I gotta binge these episodes again at some point.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
*Sees someone talking about the importance of gender in regards to Smash characters*

*sees my boy AdamBel731 AdamBel731 has it covered*

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, considering past trends with Pokemon and normal Directs, around when should we see a Direct next week?

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Oh you know, the extra waiting is just the icing on the cake!
Admittedly, I've never been a big fan of the waiting game but it's just been extra agonizing for fighter 5. Like, I got from E3 to being drawn back in with that damn Overwatch case without paying much attention. Now I'm checking for any sorta news near everyday. While I feel like part of it rests on the fact that I was more focused on other things in my life last summer, I feel that the problem is also:

The allure of more fighters has me more invested as we basically have a whole new clean slate

Since Terry's release, we've had the first time since Joker that we've had no unreleased announced fighters

The two cursed ones really flubbed things up with Deconfirmation Fest 2019

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I disagree on Joker. There were no hype videos on YouTube, nobody talks about him at parties. Put him up against Doomguy or MasterChief on hype and he is nothing. I am a gamer and I hadn't heard of him. He also has little connection to Nintendo. Who is the Western audience that he appeals to? Goths? Just because he won a game award doesn't mean anything. There are crappy movies that bomb the box office all the time and yet win Oscars.

I don't want to keep disparaging him but I think he was the worse character add in Smash, even over Corrin. If you want to go with a second Sega linked rep, a 2nd Sonic the Hedgehog character like Dr. Robotnik or Tails would have been better.

Still it is what it is. We could have had a lot better FP1 option.
Speak for yourself man. Joker was my most wanted by a large margin. Persona has a huge fanbase. Just because you don't know him doesn't mean he isn't popular. I never heard of Terry before the announcement but you don't see me complaining.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace

Either way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a character just because they're a woman. Call it shallow, if you want - but it's still as valid as any other reason for wanting any character.
As I said, I won't necessarily say a person is wrong for thinking that, but I feel that is doing the character that person wants a disservice if they just had that for the reason. As I said, Shantae is cool because she is a half-genie. If they just pointed out she's a female, I feel like that's ironically devaluing her somewhat.

Also, regarding the quote...

I am so unbelievably happy you and Griselda got this Sonic Boom reference. I didn't think anyone would.
20191222_092827.png

I really do find that quote's placement hilarious as it is in a fricken Sonic television series (doesn't make the quote any less true though). And BOOM Knuckles of all characters said it!

*Sees someone talking about the importance of gender in regards to Smash characters*

*sees my boy AdamBel731 AdamBel731 has it covered*
Hey man, I knew I had to cover for you. *virtual high five
What can we say, it is hard being the best.:ultpacman:

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to draw more, but my tablet is bugging out and pretending to be a mouse, meaning I don't have pressure sensitivity! >:(

Here's some early Newgrounds lookin' fellas.
1578636655905.png

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Admittedly, I've never been a big fan of the waiting game but it's just been extra agonizing for fighter 5. Like, I got from E3 to being drawn back in with that damn Overwatch case without paying much attention. Now I'm checking for any sorta news near everyday. While I feel like part of it rests on the fact that I was more focused on other things in my life last summer, I feel that the problem is also:

The allure of more fighters has me more invested as we basically have a whole new clean slate

Since Terry's release, we've had the first time since Joker that we've had no unreleased announced fighters

The two cursed ones really flubbed things up with Deconfirmation Fest 2019
I feel you, the waiting game killed my interest in #5 so i just want to move on with this and get to the real stuff wich is post pass dlc

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I feel you, the waiting game killed my interest in #5 so i just want to move on with this and get to the real stuff which is post pass dlc
At least we have you and the Geno thread's meme squad to provide us with good memes to keep us entertained.

This one still gets me.
WhenGenoThreadGetsDerailedByDrama.png

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Thanks fam, i try to do my best when it comes to entertaining you partners
You and the meme squad (like good ol' OffBi) definitely do. Especially during these dry seasons of information. I think that's the 70th tumbleweed that's passed us by...

I also love how there is a psuedo-ongoing meme in this thread to always put a Geno hat on a meme to have it not be off topic. Makes me chuckle, unlike Knuckles.

Griselda

Smash Lord
As I said, I won't necessarily say a person is wrong for thinking that, but I feel that is doing the character that person wants a disservice if they just had that for the reason. As I said, Shantae is cool because she is a half-genie. If they just pointed out she's a female, I feel like that's ironically devaluing her somewhat.

Also, regarding the quote...

I am so unbelievably happy you and Griselda got this Sonic Boom reference. I didn't think anyone would.
View attachment 256510
I really do find that quote's placement hilarious as it is in a fricken Sonic television series (doesn't make the quote any less true though). And BOOM Knuckles of all characters said it!

Hey man, I knew I had to cover for you. *virtual high five
What can we say, it is hard being the best.:ultpacman:
Representation is also a part of it, you know. Male characters tend to be the default in a lot of media, which is why people say things like 'I'd enjoy more girls in Smash' in the first place. It seems like it's just calling attention to their gender, but that's kinda because it is. Personally, I'm completely fine playing as guys, but I appreciate when I can more directly relate a character to myself. I like Shantae because she's a half-genie who attacks with her hair, but also because she's a girl. I don't really think focusing on one aspect of a character in such a manner devalues them at all, when it's just something like that. Take Geno, for instance - there are people who like him because of his role in the game, because of his characterization, and his edgy 90s lines like "Yo, Smithy!" ..And then there are also people who just like him because he looks cool and nothing else. Maybe they don't actually like SMRPG, or haven't even played it, but their reason for wanting him in Smash - just because of his design - isn't really any 'lesser' than any other reason.

Also I'm gay, so I like when my games have cute girls in them. There's that, too.

TriggerX

Smash Ace

Lol don’t get me wrong, there’s not a single female character I want any time soon personally. Although there are some decent choices.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is something that Nintendo would take into consideration just to have a more varied Fighter Pass and Roster.
Aesthetics is a big part of game design(hence why color theory is working out so well). So I just wouldn’t be too surprised if we got a female character.

if Arle is fp5 I feel like she wouldn’t have that much to offer in terms of additional content from her own games, so she might be a good opportunity to bring back misc costumes and content like Geno and Chocobo and other random series

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Representation is also a part of it, you know. Male characters tend to be the default in a lot of media, which is why people say things like 'I'd enjoy more girls in Smash' in the first place. It seems like it's just calling attention to their gender, but that's kinda because it is. Personally, I'm completely fine playing as guys, but I appreciate when I can more directly relate a character to myself. I like Shantae because she's a half-genie who attacks with her hair, but also because she's a girl. I don't really think focusing on one aspect of a character in such a manner devalues them at all, when it's just something like that. Take Geno, for instance - there are people who like him because of his role in the game, because of his characterization, and his edgy 90s lines like "Yo, Smithy!" ..And then there are also people who just like him because he looks cool and nothing else. Maybe they don't actually like SMRPG, or haven't even played it, but their reason for wanting him in Smash - just because of his design - isn't really any 'lesser' than any other reason.

Also I'm gay, so I like when my games have cute girls in them. There's that, too.
I see your point. For me, it is just kinda offputting when people point it out too much, you know? Like, making a small point I kinda get, but if someone does it in huge way and/or all the time, I feel that's when pride for that subject ultimately undermines the concept of what you want.

Like you're gay? Fine by me! I'm personally not, but who cares? Be whatever the heck you want! For me, I just want good characters, you feel? Like, Samus is a badass bounty hunter who is fearless (Other M doesn't exist) who HAPPENS to be a female. Or what about Shantae again? She is a cool half-genie of a different ethnicity who HAPPENS to be a female of a different skin tone. Basically, I hate pandering. I feel as if people should strive to make cool characters and not just have their defining character trait be their gender something. Make them more than that! Making a character a caricature is just no good in my eyes, because then that lessens the point you're trying to make in my opinion.

I just want good characters first and foremost, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo thinks the same way when picking Smash characters.

(Also, Griselda, I think it is cool how we can talk about this calmly on the internet. I mean idk how old you are, but I'm an 18 year old zoomer talking about this! This subject is such a hot-button issue, yet I'm glad we can talk about it calmly! Just kinda cool and appreciated, even more so that you're a few years older than me most likely!)

Also, yeah sorry thread I know this subject is sort of off topic, I won't make any more long tangents on this. I just want some cool characters! Make them whatever, I just want their merits to be what sells them!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom