• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like the non-SNK costumes only point to the irregularity of Hero's presentation though. All we know right now is that there is was something odd about the content shown off with Hero, whether or not it means Geno was upgraded, they decided to wait for marketing purposes, or something else entirely, we'll just have to wait and see.
They don't really need DQ to sell in the West though, this is it's 11th game in the series and it's done incredibly well despite its poor sales in the West. Sure, having it sell better in the West is absolutely an added bonus that Square probably wanted to capitalize on, but it was definitely not a necessity for Hero. DQ is still an extremely popular franchise (Like, it really is a massive cultural phenomenon in Japan)
Except they do need to sell it. Square-Enix pushed it basically every single place they could. They plugged it more than any other game in the year at any point. They really wanted it to sell. It's fairly obvious they chose the same route of plugging it. It's clear that advertising played a role in the direct.

Also, poor sales is not incredibly well. Keep in mind what is incredibly well for a company is meeting a sales quota. If 11 sold poorly, it did poorly in their eyes. They wanted even more sales, and directly made a Switch exclusive game to do so. Sales are the key factor, and it didn't meet expectations if the sales are listed as "poor". This is how sales work for companies considering it good. Either it sold enough or it didn't. There's no inbetween for businesses. Expectations are given. You're actually giving an even bigger reason for them to make it DQ-only now.

My point was that people wouldn't care about those Mii costumes enough to really take away any of Hero's steam. While it's true Sakurai advertised DQXI in Hero's presentation, he also advertised Banjo Kazooie's rerelease on Xbox during Banjo's presentation, which was probably the presentation that strayed the most away from talking about content relating to its character. Not to mention, it wasn't even on a Nintendo console, so it could be argued Sakurai really only does the advertising for courtesy's sake (Though, I could still see him definitely being pushed more to do it in Hero's presentation)
Let's be real; he went out of his way to make DQXI a lot of a bigger deal than Rare Replay, which was a quick mention. He put a lot more into the DQ direct too. It's possible as well besides need for advertising that Sakurai's love of DQ also influenced it. He really really loves the series, and really wanted to use Erdrick a lot.

Well, I remember the best mods to try and recreate the Mallow hat (the one that had jiggle physics) still claimed that they believed it was impossible to make it look that high quality. The argument wasn't making it look exactly like it did, the argument was making it look as good as it did without having access to a dev kit. I also am currently 60/40 on the leak, as I've been much more cautious regarding leaks ever since I put waaaaay too much faith in the Grinch Leak.
I forgot aobut the dev kit part. And yeah, the Grinch Leak was quite a crazy moment. Albeit, I had no real opinion till another user pointed out the background inconsistencies, which is where I stopped believing it. It also was super hard to believe cause of too many characters.

Anyway, this will be my last post on this current strain of discussion about Mii costumes, Dragon Quest marketing, and whatever else. The longer we go on, the higher chance we have of enticing unsavory characters into joining us and I'm not looking to get this thread locked on my 3rd day posting here. Thank you for being so polite and let's just agree to disagree and see what the future holds.
Fair. I understand. At least it's on-topic, right? XD Besides, you've been nothing but reasonable anyway. And I agree the catch 22 part was a bad point. True or not, it doesn't make for real discussion.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. Now that you mention it, it does make a lot of sense. It’s probably the only VB game that has to be remade.
Although, in a future Mario game, it would be cool to see Mario Clash return in hd as a mini game like Mario Bros.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I disagree on Joker. There were no hype videos on YouTube, nobody talks about him at parties. Put him up against Doomguy or MasterChief on hype and he is nothing. I am a gamer and I hadn't heard of him. He also has little connection to Nintendo. Who is the Western audience that he appeals to? Goths? Just because he won a game award doesn't mean anything. There are crappy movies that bomb the box office all the time and yet win Oscars.

I don't want to keep disparaging him but I think he was the worse character add in Smash, even over Corrin. If you want to go with a second Sega linked rep, a 2nd Sonic the Hedgehog character like Dr. Robotnik or Tails would have been better.

Still it is what it is. We could have had a lot better FP1 option.
>No hype videos for Joker

*breathes

C7390363-2DF2-4701-96C5-8B5135A67888.jpeg
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This link has a bunch of reactions to his reveal: https://youtu.be/xFgF6wkP2iU

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I disagree on Joker. There were no hype videos on YouTube, nobody talks about him at parties. Put him up against Doomguy or MasterChief on hype and he is nothing. I am a gamer and I hadn't heard of him. He also has little connection to Nintendo. Who is the Western audience that he appeals to? Goths? Just because he won a game award doesn't mean anything. There are crappy movies that bomb the box office all the time and yet win Oscars.

I don't want to keep disparaging him but I think he was the worse character add in Smash, even over Corrin. If you want to go with a second Sega linked rep, a 2nd Sonic the Hedgehog character like Dr. Robotnik or Tails would have been better.

confused Nick Young.jpg

So you're telling me the main character for one of the biggest games of 2017, that was a huge success both critically and commercially; is a flop. You clearly haven't checked youtube reactions of Joker's reveal either considering how positive they were; and you must go to really lame parties.

Besides being a gamer doesn't really mean you know about games, it just means you play games. I don't see how that has anything to do with who should get into Smash.

Also I love how you mention Doomguy and Master Chief, and yet say that Joker isn't connected enough with Nintendo. Nintendo isn't the first thing I think about when I think Doomguy and Master Chief.

Besides, ultimately what you think doesn't really matter. Joker's reveal was extremely positively received by the majority of the audience, and it was pretty successful in terms of profit for Nintendo as well.

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791

Fallacy of the idea of the western (well, US-) centric Smash fandom as the most important.
Also I counterpoint your first paragraph with any of the live reaction vids from TGA floor on Joker’s reveal:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mLzSUsVK0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Gb9rCgO1w
(Thanks nessdeltarune00 for the YouTuber reactions)

Also “I am a gamer and haven’t heard of him” reeks of a lack of diversifying your play. Branch out lest you stay in your echo chamber.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fun fact: I didn't hear of Joker either. I'm not going to dismiss how notable the game or series is, nor how big his impact was. He had a huge impact, even on these forums. The fanbase didn't actually think he would happen, but it's a huge fanbase.

Let's just say I didn't know of many characters who got into Smash(Corrin isn't really fair to count as only the Asian regions knew of him/her, anyway. But I could make a pretty big list of characters I had no clue about but still welcomed them anyway. Even if I didn't agree with the choice, they still are neat to put in anyway).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Just because you don't look for reaction videos, or videos responding to the character's inclusion, it doesn't mean that they aren't there. I don't watch much in the way of reaction videos (I made a post asking about that recently; I need to branch out beyond the few Youtubers that I follow), but off the top of my head, both Relax Alax and Alpharad were extremely excited to see Joker included in Smash.

Also, just because you haven't played a game, it doesn't make it so it's not deserving enough to be included in Smash. Persona 5 didn't just win "a" game award; it was generally considered one of the best RPGs, if not games, of the previous console generation.
https://web.archive.org/web/2017080...ona-5-might-be-the-best-rpg-ever-made-review/
https://www.vg247.com/2017/03/29/persona-5-is-the-best-japanese-rpg-in-over-a-decade/
http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/29/persona-5-review-role-playing-against-convention-6541632/
http://news.abs-cbn.com/life/04/18/17/game-review-persona-5-is-one-of-the-best-jrpgs-ever-made
http://wwg.com/2017/03/29/persona-5-reviews-highest-rated-JRPG-ever/

Try to branch out; if you're not familiar with a character when they're added into Smash, give the game a shot. Also, Joker's the third Sega character, seeing as Bayonetta's owned by Sega.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When Joker joined, I never heard of him and I will admit I was a little annoyed. I thought ANOTHER anime character, jeez. But, I’ve grown to like him. I don’t play him, but he’s cool. I know a lot of people were extremely excited for him though, so that’s what matters. Banjo however, had me jumping out of my seat screaming like a maniac. Also, anyone that says that only old people like Banjo can shut the ***k up. I’m literally 16 and played all of the Banjo games when I was younger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I was kinda indifferent when Joker joined, I'd never played Persona 5 but I also didn't think he was a bad choice. What I was hyped about though was the fact that the "Erdrick, Katalina, and Steve" rumors for DLC finally took a hit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was kinda indifferent when Joker joined, I'd never played Persona 5 but I also didn't think he was a bad choice. What I was hyped about though was the fact that the "Erdrick, Katalina, and Steve" rumors for DLC finally took a hit.
Lol. I remember when people thought that Katalina was actually plausible.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I never played Persona 5, but one of my favorite blind let's players played the game in full when it came out, as he was a big Persona fan. Was a great watch, so when Joker came to Smash, I was one of the people who was very hyped. That's just my story though.

Also, just because I saw Megadoomer Megadoomer 's desire to branch out, I would recommend this let's player very much. He is called NicoB, and while he is not known for his blind Nintendo playthroughs, they have become much more common over the past year or two(He has already played a few Zelda games and is right now going through Three Houses). Heck, he has mentioned before that he does have plans to get around to the Mario RPG's, so that is something we could all look forward to. He has also, of course, done reactions to game based events like Directs.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Still is. She's a video game character. The only actual requirement. Besides, Granblue Fantasy is a very large franchise and one of the best selling ones. Plausibility isn't the problem with her.

Likely? Not really. Little to no requests, not much reason to grab her as is over other bigger Gachas as is(FEH is also more in-house and has a plethora of options). There's also competition with Dragalia Lost too.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think with what we saw and heard about the future of Sw and Sh, I think it will be a long time for either a new Pokemon mainline game or Diamond and Pearl remake. Especially if they are planning on bringing back all the Pokemon that didn't make the cut.
Eh, The Pokemon Company and the shareholders have seen the success of Pokemon Sword/Shield financially speaking, they'll be eager for new games probably sooner rather than later.

Probably. Like I said, Game Freak knew they had ****ed up as early as E3 and knew people were voraciously pissed so this outcome isn't surprising. I'm just surprised they decided to do the significantly less popular choice of DLC instead of Sinnoh remakes.
Game Freak "****ed up" in the sense that they dove right into some of the best selling games of the series for one.

And two, DLC has been the way more popular choice from a fan perspective for ages. People were practically begging Game Freak not to go straight into Sinnoh remakes so soon and just wanted Game Freak to be more responsible with development. The DLC expansions are basically the fulfillment of that wish.

D

Deleted member

Still is. She's a video game character. The only actual requirement. Besides, Granblue Fantasy is a very large franchise and one of the best selling ones. Plausibility isn't the problem with her.

Likely? Not really. Little to no requests, not much reason to grab her as is over other bigger Gachas as is(FEH is also more in-house and has a plethora of options). There's also competition with Dragalia Lost too.
Yeah but it never released here.
Edit: Fire Emblem in Melee. Nevermind.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah but it never released here.
Edit: Fire Emblem in Melee. Nevermind.
Yeah, that again doesn't make it implausible, even without the FE point. As I said, she's unlikely, and it being Japan-only makes it less likely too.

Plausibility simply means it actually could happen. Not that it's likely to happen.

Also, we've had issues with Japan only series not making it into Smash outside of smaller roles too, like Takamaru, which is why I doubt she's happening. Albeit, Granblue Fantasy is a way bigger game series, but still.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, that again doesn't make it implausible, even without the FE point. As I said, she's unlikely, and it being Japan-only makes it less likely too.

Plausibility simply means it actually could happen. Not that it's likely to happen.

Also, we've had issues with Japan only series not making it into Smash outside of smaller roles too, like Takamaru, which is why I doubt she's happening. Albeit, Granblue Fantasy is a way bigger game series, but still.
I could of probably worded it better. I meant likely. Just forget it alright.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Twas a dark time, the community was just so pessimistic after the Grinch Leak was proven fake that we began assuming disappointing = true. I actually went back and took screen shots of some of the biggest pessimists on Reddit. Most memorable were the ones that said Banjo's chances were basically dead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Twas a dark time, the community was just so pessimistic after the Grinch Leak was proven fake that we began assuming disappointing = true. I actually went back and took screen shots of some of the biggest pessimists on Reddit. Most memorable were the ones that said Banjo's chances were basically dead.
‘Twas indeed. I was so bummed out from the Grinch leak. I still believed in Geno and Banjo but it was a little sad that the leak was fake.

Fair enough. Agreed, yeah~
Agreed. Sorry if I seemed like a d*ck. Just not very familiar with the character.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
‘Twas indeed. I was so bummed out from the Grinch leak. I still believed in Geno and Banjo but it was a little sad that the leak was fake,
I had a lot of pride riding on that leak being real. There was one dude in a server I was active in who I would just constantly butt heads with on believing whether or not it was real. It was hard for me to choke down and I wasn't exactly proud of myself for it. I'm just so much more cautious and skeptical when dealing with leaks now.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

I... don't even know where to begin with this horrible take. Holy ****.
I disagree on Joker. There were no hype videos on YouTube, nobody talks about him at parties.
There were very few to no Joker hype videos because it happened late at night during TGAs, and who exactly would be recording their reactions to that show?
Put him up against Doomguy or MasterChief on hype and he is nothing. I am a gamer and I hadn't heard of him.
Just because you haven't heard of a character doesn't mean they aren't popular or complete Literally Whos.
Who is the Western audience that he appeals to? Goths?
NoStopEssay.png

Just because he won a game award doesn't mean anything. There are crappy movies that bomb the box office all the time and yet win Oscars.
Are you ****ing trolling, mate?
I don't want to keep disparaging him but I think he was the worse character add in Smash, even over Corrin.
What's it feel like to have an objectively wrong opinion?

Uh oh someone hold him down while I get his meds!

Alzheimers is a hell of a drug.

Griselda

Smash Lord

There were very few to no Joker hype videos because it happened late at night during TGAs, and who exactly would be recording their reactions to that show?

Just because you haven't heard of a character doesn't mean they aren't popular or complete Literally Whos.

View attachment 256481

What's the origin of that Narancia meme?

D

Deleted member

View attachment 256481

Wait...Alzheimers?

..Quick, someone make a DIO!Geno.
Sorry. I can’t art.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Reposting this because it lines up perfectly with my New Year's Eve theory and, if I'm correct, the "February/March" character is referring to 6. My source's coyness makes me further my theory about 6 and beyond being hard steers back to big fan favorite characters because I don't get why they would tease it otherwise. As noted for almost two months now, I don't believe Geno is 6 but 6 will still be a big deal.
It's Waluigi time! Honestly Waluigi being 6 and Geno being 7 makes sense to me.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
My favorite thing about this thread is how easy it is to make Geno memes. Just slap a Geno hat on something and you're golden!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom