• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

“I didn’t like what he said about Spirits, time to dismiss his entire argument!”

And the point about Chocobo is that if people on this thread are using a missing Mii costume as hard evidence for their most wanted, then Chocobo is just as likely.
And Chocobo is likely as Geno because.....?

TriggerX

Smash Ace
If you honestly can't tell the difference in legacy, popularity, moveset potential, and Sakurai visibility between Geno and a generic bird creature from Final Fantasy, then there's really no helping you. You've shot your credibility in the head with a 50 caliber bullet and I would honestly be curious as to why your here in the Geno thread campaigning for a character that isn't Geno. I'm not even gatekeeping when I say that you're argument has no place here. Just ask the mods.
Lol Not really the best defense here. Hey I'm all for Geno, but if the plant got in, I would say a Chocobo is fair game. It even better represents final fantasy as whole in my opinion.

Chocobo's have even received their own games, honestly they are pretty much on Yoshi's level in terms where they are situated in the ff universe.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you honestly can't tell the difference in legacy, popularity, moveset potential, and Sakurai visibility between Geno and a generic bird creature from Final Fantasy, then there's really no helping you. You've shot your credibility in the head with a 50 caliber bullet and I would honestly be curious as to why your here in the Geno thread campaigning for a character that isn't Geno. I'm not even gatekeeping when I say that you're argument has no place here. Just ask the mods.
There's also the fact that these were the ONLY Square Enix costumes before DQ.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I don't believe spirits/ATs necessarily deconfirm; but until we see a character get promoted, I'll still take them as a hit in that characters chances.

I have a good idea of what Sakurai thinks like in choosing the characters; and I think he may possibly end up deciding against promoting characters like Waluigi, Rex, Shantae, Rayman, Geno, Isaac in exchange for increasing the amount of NEW crossover series in Smash Ultimate. He just seems like that type of guy to me.

There's plenty of requested/legacy series not present in Ultimate in any way to easily make another 15 characters.

Obviously it's just conjecture, and we won't know until the next direct.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
And Chocobo is likely as Geno because.....?
Never said that I legitimately think he is.

This point has been used by Geno supporters over and over, and going by this logic, if this is a legitimate point for him like you all claim it is, then I guess the missing Chocobo costume means something too.

You see my point now?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
And I love how you choose not to acknowledge what I consider to be arguably the biggest strike against him, almost as if you are pretending that its not even there in the first place.
Allow me. The biggest thing is YES this is a big hit to Geno...for this Fighter's Pass. Geno will not be Fighter 5...in this Fighter's Pass.

HOWEVER, we do not know the rules of the next batch of DLC. Will it be another Fighter's Pass? Will it be individual DLC? Will they come with Mii Costumes and stages? Will they have music?

WE DO NOT KNOW. So yeah, Geno is out of the running for DLC...For this Fighter's Pass.

EDIT: Your points are valid however, so do not think this is an attack. Just stating that the "rules" in play for the current Fighter's Pass may not be the same for Post Pass DLC.

Last edited:

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
If you are using the missing Chocobo costume as evidence for Geno, you know that could also easily apply to Sora, 2B, Lara Croft, ect, right? And that would be the perfect time to bring both Costumes back if this did happen.
I feel that given Cloud/Geno/Chocobo are all RPG characters, it’d seem weird even by Square standards to pair them with 2B or Lara specifically given those are more action driven franchises. That’s of course not going into how Square basically booed no-selled the other costumes to focus on DQ (which could be a similar situation for Geno if the Mallow/Smithy portion of the Mii list is true). Sure Sora probably could pair with the two Mii costumes but again, why not focus on KH characters or (gasp) Disney costume cameos then in that situation?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This point has been used by Geno supporters over and over, and going by this logic, if this is a legitimate point for him like you all claim it is, then I guess the missing Chocobo costume means something too.

You see my point now?
I mean, nobody is thinking the Geno is a lock because the costume is missing. It at least would be a sign that maybe another Square character is on the way. Chocobo costume would be evidence towards any Square character.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Spirits disconfirm were always positioned around they decided all this stuff base game. Trying to extend it to post Fighter's Pass DLC just seems foolish since it requires additional leaps in logic that actually does strike at the heart of "They disconfirmed how many characters with Spirits." Base game to Fighter's Pass, it was, "Planned DLC fighters wouldn't also have Spirits because this was all done at the same time." That's like the crux of proper "Spirits Disconfirm" and its gone post pass.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I feel that given Cloud/Geno/Chocobo are all RPG characters, it’d seem weird even by Square standards to pair them with 2B or Lara specifically given those are more action driven franchises. That’s of course not going into how Square basically booed the other costumes to focus on DQ (which could be a similar situation for Geno if the Mallow/Smithy portion of the Mii list is true). Sure Sora probably could pair with the two Mii costumes but again, why not focus on KH characters or (gasp) Disney costume cameos then in that situation?
For the sake of playing devil's advocate here, it could be because Square wanted them to focus 100% on Dragons Quest and not have the other Mii Costumes steal the spotlight. If Geno is still a Mii Costume, and it would have returned with DQ, I argue that its return would overshadow the presentation, which is why it makes sense to reveal the costume later, would Geno unfortunately still be one

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Nice strawman. But here is the point I was actually trying to make.

You see my point now?

“You’re opinion is not welcome here. Just ask the mods”

So you are saying that no one should dare question the claims made in this thread on a daily basis? That it should just be a one sided echo chamber, without anyone questioning points made in a characters favor?

Firox

Smash Master
If you are using the missing Chocobo costume as evidence for Geno, you know that could also easily apply to Sora, 2B, Lara Croft, ect, right? And that would be the perfect time to bring both Costumes back if this did happen.

And I love how you choose not to acknowledge what I consider to be arguably the biggest strike against him, almost as if you are pretending that its not even there in the first place.
How is Chocobo a strike against Geno? It's not. Period. The only thing it does is support the fact that we'll likely get at least one more SE rep. You're right in that it could be one of many potential characters, but one of them could also be Geno. Given the leak we have that suggests we're getting more SMRPG costumes, logic still dictates that Geno is in the running. Your anti-Geno bias is cute and all, but your logic just doesn't stand up.

If you're referring to the spirits argument, I'm not pretending it isn't there. I just know that it's irrelevant. If you think that Sakurai is limited by a PNG that he put in the game PRIOR to deciding the extended DLC, then you just lack some insane imagination. Also, we've brought up several points in the past to stomp the "spirits deconfirm" stance flat, but again, I see you still haven't read the Geno essay and insist on remaining ignorant, hence why I stand by my previous statement: There's no helping you. But continue to troll. Maybe you'll get better with practice.

EDIT: This made me laugh.
Somebody apparently doesn't know what a strawman is. Good parrot job though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For the sake of playing devil's advocate here, it could be because Square wanted them to focus 100% on Dragons Quest and not have the other Mii Costumes steal the spotlight. If Geno is still a Mii Costume, and it would have returned with DQ, I argue that its return would overshadow the presentation.
I don’t see how a returning costume is going to overshadow DQ.

So you are saying that no one should dare question the claims made in this thread on a daily basis? That it should just be a one sided echo chamber, without anyone questioning points made in a characters favor?
You do realize you just replied to your own post right? Lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
For the sake of playing devil's advocate here, it could be because Square wanted them to focus 100% on Dragons Quest and not have the other Mii Costumes steal the spotlight. If Geno is still a Mii Costume, and it would have returned with DQ, I argue that its return would overshadow the presentation, which is why it makes sense to reveal the costume later, would Geno unfortunately still be one
Oh I agree this is the far more likely scenario. Still begs the question of if there was no more DLC post pass, what happens to the Geno and Chocobo costumes (and the other seven currently MIA)? Unless they somehow sold so poorly that there was no incentive to resell them, they’d have to either be all sold piecemeal (possibly not even tied with a character’s release??) or, in the most logical scenario, paired with DQ given same company. (I don’t see SQEX being as liberal as the other 3rd parties with sharing costume distribution with an unrelated 3rd party.)

It’s Geno, he’s a special outlier for many reasons. And given the West’s general blindness to DQ a Geno Mii costume reveal with Hero would have certainly made headlines (perhaps even moreso than Sans did to Terry).

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
How is Chocobo a strike against Geno? It's not. Period. The only thing it does is support the fact that we'll likely get at least one more SE rep. You're right in that it could be one of many potential characters, but one of them could also be Geno. Given the leak we have that suggests we're getting more SMRPG costumes, logic still dictates that Geno is in the running. Your anti-Geno bias is cute and all, but your logic just doesn't stand up.

If you're referring to the spirits argument, I'm not pretending it isn't there. I just know that it's irrelevant. If you think that Sakurai is limited by a PNG that he put in the game PRIOR to deciding the extended DLC, then you just lack some insane imagination. Also, we've brought up several points in the past to stomp the "spirits deconfirm" stance flat, but again, I see you still haven't read the Geno essay and insist on remaining ignorant, hence why I stand by my previous statement: There's no helping you. But continue to troll. Maybe you'll get better with practice.

“I don’t like your opinion, you must be nothing but a troll!”

That mindset of this thread will do nothing but turn people who are on the fence against you all. Just saying.

D

Deleted member

I'm not agreeing with him saying your opinion doesn't matter, but you are in a Geno SUPPORT thread so some people will feel more strongly about the topic of Geno. Again, not saying you aren't welcome here, but you might want to reevaluate your options about your argument.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

You do realize you just replied to your own post right? Lol!
Read the post again.

I was replying to someone, and since I didn’t feel like repeating myself, I linked one of my posts from earlier. But go off, I guess.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I’ve seen this brought up before and I... kinda doubt it. Why would they be worried about overshadowing the character here and not anywhere else? Just look at what happened to Terry and even Banjo with Sans, and poor SNK is a company that could actually use some spotlight. I doubt Square would be worried about one of their own properties overshadowing one of the largest RPG franchises in the world.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Just look at the Terry presentation. What was the biggest talk of the town? The Sans costume, not Terry.
Have Geno returning in the DQ presentation (would he still be a Mii Costume that is) would be a big deal concidering he is one of the most requested characters that are yet to be added. It's not like Geno is Goemon or a generic Rocket grunt

Firox

Smash Master

That mindset of this thread will do nothing but turn people who are on the fence against you all. Just saying.
LOL Yeah, you're totally on the fence. :4pacman:

We could really use more people in here campaigning for character "X" while preaching about how hopeless Geno is.

Seriously though, how about you simply revel in the fact that if Cacomallow is real, then we BOTH win! Cool?

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Oh I agree this is the far more likely scenario. Still begs the question of if there was no more DLC post pass, what happens to the Geno and Chocobo costumes (and the other seven currently MIA)? Unless they somehow sold so poorly that there was no incentive to resell them, they’d have to either be all sold piecemeal
I think a possibility may have been to continue releasing mii costumes past the Fighters Pass. Nothing really to support that inference, but nothing to reject it either. Just a possibility.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I’ve seen this brought up before and I... kinda doubt it. Why would they be worried about overshadowing the character here and not anywhere else? Just look at what happened to Terry and even Banjo with Sans, and poor SNK is a company that could actually use some spotlight. I doubt Square would be worried about one of their own properties overshadowing one of the largest RPG franchises in the world.
Because Square has been very keen on pushing Dragon Quest to the western market like crazy before the Switch port arrived. SNK does not have the same need for it.

"“We need Dragon Quest to sell in the West, even just a certain amount, if we want to keep making [localized versions],”

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news...ertain-amount-to-justify-future-localizations

We just have to wait and see. I hope Geno ends up as his own character. I¨m just saying that "he is playable" is not the only possible reason why the costume is still missing

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Seriously though, how about you simply revel in the fact that is Cacomallow is real, then we BOTH win! Cool?

Rofl, that is quite the confidence you have on that “leak” being real. (And FYI, I support Doom Slayer greatly, so it’d be a huge benefit if it was real)

Since you seem so certain on it, want to agree on an account bet for it? I’ll gladly take part in it if you want to participate.

D

Deleted member

Because Square has been very keen on pushing Dragon Quest to the western market like crazy before the Switch port arrived. SNK does not have the same need for it.

"“We need Dragon Quest to sell in the West, even just a certain amount, if we want to keep making [localized versions],”

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news...ertain-amount-to-justify-future-localizations

We just have to wait and see. I hope Geno ends up as his own character. I¨m just saying that "he is playable" is not the only possible reason why the costume is still missing
Thankfully Square Enix was really happy with the sales of DQXI S worldwide.

Right now I hope we get the spin offs such as DQ Walk, the new Adventures Of Dai game or the Switch ports of DQ Heroes over here too.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'd like to live in a world where we get Chocobo if we cannot get Geno. He's my next most wanted Square-Enix character. If we cannot get Geno, I could stomach Chocobo or Crono getting in over the likes of 2B or Sora based on prior experiences alone.

D

Deleted member

Rofl, that is quite the confidence you have on that “leak” being real. (And FYI, I support Doom Slayer greatly, so it’d be a huge benefit if it was real)

Since you seem so certain on it, want to agree on an account bet for it? I’ll gladly take part in it if you want to participate.
If a spirit gets promoted, would you bet on removing your account? It seems like an easy bet because of you actually believing a fanmade rule that PNGs are meant to disconfirm characters.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
If a spirit gets promoted, would you bet on removing your account? It seems like an easy bet because of you actually believing a fanmade rule that PNGs are meant to disconfirm characters.
I gladly would, 100%.

Also, would you bet your account if the entirety of Ultimate passes without a single promotion?

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

I get what you’re saying about them pushing DQ, but I take issue with “SNK does not have the same need”

SNK has gone bankrupt and been bought out TWICE. They need all the spotlight they can get cause they don’t have Square money. Square? Square’s got money

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

Well, The thing is.. This is a Geno Support thread, if you want to discuss if Spirits deconfirm or not go to the Spirits Thread or the General Speculation Thread.
Mods had been clear about this topic.

D

Deleted member

I already made a bet at Discord regarding potential reveals:

If Pokémon Ranger Switch isn’t revealed at tomorrow’s Direct, I will have to watch Transformers 4 for the second time in my life.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
*presses show ignored content button to see what everyone is arguing about*

Ew. Let me just... un-press that button.

That's better. Much more lovely. Geno for smash!

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I get what you’re saying about them pushing DQ, but I take issue with “SNK does not have the same need”

SNK has gone bankrupt and been bought out TWICE. They need all the spotlight they can get cause they don’t have Square money. Square? Square’s got money
I think if there is a point to be made here, it's more that Square Enix would be the one with a stipulation of "only Dragon Quest Mii costumes with Hero" because they're more involved and SNK just wouldn't really care about Mii costumes since it just seems like they fully opened the vault without a care in the world to Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

I already made a bet at Discord regarding potential reveals:

If Pokémon Ranger Switch isn’t revealed at tomorrow’s Direct, I will have to watch Transformers 4 for the second time in my life.
I think Transformers 5 is worse than 4, so watching 5 would probably be worse.

TriggerX

Smash Ace

You may have answered your own question there. Square has money, at the end of the day its a business. I doubt Nintendo is going to dedicate an entire direct on their series if they can't offer Nintendo anything in exchange.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Okay, I did not know that about SNK so I retract that part of the statement. But the aspect of Dragon Quest still remains. It could be just so simple as it was part of the negotiation with Square that they had to release DQ costumes only with Hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom