• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I mean, it helps get you in the head space of their looks at best, but I don't think they're really going to accomplish much beyond that. King K. Rool was a ballot choice from day one intended for Ultimate, so it's not really surprising that they started adapting him that far back and he was sort of always going to get in (I mean, yes, details from the costume were used, but that's so very little of the process of developing a character). Similarly, Chrom was A. A humanoid Fire Emblem character, B. An Echo fighter of Roy so they had to do even less work to get him up and running, and C. Had a full 3D model available thanks to his appearance in Robin's Final Smash that in of itself was further than Mii costume.

I'm not saying anything about this all affecting Geno's chances, but I am saying that I just don't think a Mii costume is going to be much sway in adapting a character because of "pre-existing assets" when that's so, so little of the character.

It feels like saying it's easier to make a meal because I have salt. Like, yes, I can absolutely use that salt in the meal preparation... but there's so very much more that I need to prepare the meal that it's not really going to sway my decision in which dish I actually end up making.
We are in rare agreement in general terms of disagreeing with "asset reuse". It's not like drawing a picture where now that we have a reference we can make a perfect Geno, and a lot more goes into 3D models.

I will say, the more I consider it, the more a few things do line up. This is definitely not a K. Rool or Isabelle situation, because we can run on the same assumptions you put forward for Chrom. Geno probably officially has the proportions of the medium build Mii Gunner, or possibly even the small (on that subject, isn't it odd that they took out the size variations for Miis? I don't think that means anything, it's just kind of strange, but I'm sure it made balance easier.). He's a Mario character, so the proportions are going to be cartoony no matter how we slice it, so it isn't like an anime swordsman situation - his costume was more real than not in terms of his body, obviously the clothes are a little up in the air. With some retexturing and obviously a new skeleton, I could actually see Geno's Mii costume being the basis for his body. Swap out the placeholder gun, fix up the cape to be less of a caricature, and obviously make a new head for him, which naturally would come with a new hat just because of the size of his noggin.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
The final battle of Avengers Endgame with Thanos being gamefaqs and the heroes being us.
I'd like to reiterate that when I say little visual gags or references, I mean LITTLE visual gags or references. I largely have an idea in my head as to what this video will be like, and I'm not going to add in entire battles sequences or stuff like that, because stuff like "the Final Battle in Endgame only it's all of us versus GameFAQs as Thanos" is large enough to be an entire meme video on it's own. At that point you might as well be asking me to just do something else.

OffBi

Smash Ace
I'd like to reiterate that when I say little visual gags or references, I mean LITTLE visual gags or references. I largely have an idea in my head as to what this video will be like, and I'm not going to add in entire battles sequences or stuff like that, because stuff like "the Final Battle in Endgame only it's all of us versus GameFAQs as Thanos" is large enough to be an entire meme video on it's own. At that point you might as well be asking me to just do something else.
wait i have an idea
You know that toy story 3 scene?
Well put the toys as geno fanbase and fire the hero's direct
And when woody looks up, he sees that there isn't geno's costume on the list

D

Deleted member

wait i have an idea
You know that toy story 3 scene?
Well put the toys as geno fanbase and fire the hero's direct
And when woody looks up, he sees that there isn't geno's costume on the list
Nah, we need to kill the stereotype of Dragon Quest fans being enemies of Geno supporters.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I mean, it helps get you in the head space of their looks at best, but I don't think they're really going to accomplish much beyond that. King K. Rool was a ballot choice from day one intended for Ultimate, so it's not really surprising that they started adapting him that far back and he was sort of always going to get in (I mean, yes, details from the costume were used, but that's so very little of the process of developing a character). Similarly, Chrom was A. A humanoid Fire Emblem character, B. An Echo fighter of Roy so they had to do even less work to get him up and running, and C. Had a full 3D model available thanks to his appearance in Robin's Final Smash that in of itself was further than Mii costume.

I'm not saying anything about this all affecting Geno's chances, but I am saying that I just don't think a Mii costume is going to be much sway in adapting a character because of "pre-existing assets" when that's so, so little of the character.

It feels like saying it's easier to make a meal because I have salt. Like, yes, I can absolutely use that salt in the meal preparation... but there's so very much more that I need to prepare the meal that it's not really going to sway my decision in which dish I actually end up making.
I don’t think the assets created for the Mii Costumes are a massive part when it comes to designing a newcomer but I don’t think they’re just salt either. I think it’s somewhere in-between. You mentioned K. Rool but we also had Inkling and Isabelle costumes as well in 4. And yes Isabelle had other assets but I think that’s besides the point.

I think it’s also important to look at the Mii Costumes in 4 not as singular things that were randomly chosen but with a more critical mind. It’s not a coincidence the costumes were revealed after the big character suggestion poll. The dlc costumes in 4 were more than likely chosen because they were characters they saw were popular according to the poll and/or were concepts Sakurai and the team found interesting. I am sure that Nintendo and the team were keeping a close eye on which costumes were the most financially successful. I think more thought was put into the costumes than one might assume specifically because they were being gauged for promotion in what we now know as SSBU. So I don’t think it’s a coincidence that some of the most popular costumes in 4 we’re upgraded to playable status in SSBU while largely retaining their costume designs and that some like Geno and Lloyd are still MIA.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Who is a character that we've heard about in abundance like Mewtwo? Who is a character that was heavily rumored to be #5? Who is a character that is exceedingly popular? I think you all know the answer and it solidifies my theory on why I think they are 6!
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I think we've heard of a lot of characters for Fighter #5, to be frank (as you know).

So unless my brain is just tired of guessing at #5 and I am forgetting, I don't know who you are implying. Every other character (your predictions for #6, #7) were explicitly named, so if #5 is supposed to be obvious and you think we all know the answer, can you please say? (Because it is has been back and forth on #5 in this speculation cycle for ages now.)

(None of what I said here was hostile btw. Just have wanted to clarify that whenever I have sent you a message like this lately. You know, due to the heat you've gotten lately. Although I'm not usually one to be hypercritical... I just wanted to be safe.)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don’t think the assets created for the Mii Costumes are a massive part when it comes to designing a newcomer but I don’t think they’re just salt either. I think it’s somewhere in-between. You mentioned K. Rool but we also had Inkling and Isabelle costumes as well in 4. And yes Isabelle had other assets but I think that’s besides the point.

I think it’s also important to look at the Mii Costumes in 4 not as singular things that were randomly chosen but with a more critical mind. It’s not a coincidence the costumes were revealed after the big character suggestion poll. The dlc costumes in 4 were more than likely chosen because they were characters they saw were popular according to the poll and/or were concepts Sakurai and the team found interesting. I am sure that Nintendo and the team were keeping a close eye on which costumes were the most financially successful. I think more thought was put into the costumes than one might assume specifically because they were being gauged for promotion in what we now know as SSBU. So I don’t think it’s a coincidence that some of the most popular costumes in 4 we’re upgraded to playable status in SSBU while largely retaining their costume designs and that some like Geno and Lloyd are still MIA.
I mean, again, there's a lot of specific stuff going into both of those. Ultimate was never going to release without Inkling, full stop, so I don't think the costume mattered and they didn't really use anything from that costume in Inkling as far as I can tell. And similarly, Isabelle is a semi-clone based off of Villager in addition to having an Assist Trophy that they could pull from.

Like I agree, they chose costumes based on some popular Smash options and could look at those to determine other things about Ultimate, nor do I think its a coincidence they've held off on several more popular options for returning Mii costumes... but I just don't buy the more specific idea that the Mii costumes constitute much in the way of reusable assets.

Like I said before, Geno and Lloyd (and possibly Heihachi) would all independently be included because they're popular characters. But I don't see the assets of a minor Mii costume as anything more than a very minute benefit to developing the character, and certainly not comparable to the veterans brought back in Smash 4 as "bonuses."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I think we've heard of a lot of characters for Fighter #5, to be frank (as you know).

So unless my brain is just tired of guessing at #5 and I am forgetting, I don't know who you are implying. Every other character (your predictions for #6, #7) were explicitly named, so if #5 is supposed to be obvious and you think we all know the answer, can you please say? (Because it is has been back and forth on #5 in this speculation cycle for ages now.)

(None of what I said here was hostile btw. Just have wanted to clarify that whenever I have sent you a message like this lately. You know, due to the heat you've gotten lately. Although I'm not usually one to be hypercritical... I just wanted to be safe.)
Same as my thoughts back in September from my theory crafting: a semi realistic medieval fantasy human swordsman from a company and franchise not yet represented in Smash with a full on newcomer. The nature of my prediction has always been this (except for Sol which was basically mental fatigue) for close to 4 months now. I'll leave you all to fill in the rest of the blanks.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Would anyone miss me if I left Smashboards? I'm not leaving but I'm just asking y'all. Though I will say the day I leave Smashboards is the day Goemon get's into the roster. Once that happens, my mission in this community is complete I would say.

Question: would anyone even miss me if I bowed out post-Geno reveal, too? I mean, I haven't really been here all that long, and I'm not sure if I'm considered a 'regular'.
I would miss you.

Not leaving when Geno is revealed, I'll just move onto the next character to support. But would anyone miss me if I stopped posting in this thread

Who would I'm just a brony who plays Smash lol
I already support a bunch of characters, but after Geno get's in the Shantae thread will become my to go thread each day.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Would anyone miss me if I left Smashboards? I'm not leaving but I'm just asking y'all. Though I will say the day I leave Smashboards is the day Goemon get's into the roster. Once that happens, my mission in this community is complete I would say.
I would ^^ you're pretty cool

D

Deleted member

I would miss you.

I already support a bunch of characters, but after Geno get's in the Shantae thread will become my to go thread each day.
Yes, I would miss you.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So what do you guys like to do on New Years? For me and my family It's been a tradition for years to get Chinese food from China KO. It's probably the day of the year I stuff myself the most besides Thanksgiving.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Good day Genobros. Ahhh yes. All you fine lads fill me with joy. :) And to our Big Brother Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , we patiently await for your Dissertation of Le Smash'é Brothers Ultimatus DI GENO!!! And to keep the dunkin' flow going, time to put this song on blast. :2gud:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
See, you think it’s Dovakhiin.

But it’s actually just Todd Howard, whose Final Smash is forcing you to play Skyrim. In its entirety.

Every time.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
See, you think it’s Dovakhiin.

But it’s actually just Todd Howard, whose Final Smash is forcing you to play Skyrim. In its entirety.

Every time.
How horrifying. At least they redesigned it from its original incarnation where he gives you a free copy of fallout 76, and 500 atoms

D

Deleted member

Relax dude. It was just a suggestion, I didn’t mean the full battle just when everyone enters through the portals. Not the actual full 15 minute battle.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Imagine the internet implosion if the next character actually is TES related and before it's announced Todd Howard walks in from off-screen and sits down next to Sakurai and it becomes a 2-man presentation. People would lose their minds. Even though I would prefer Doomslayer to be character 5/6 if Cacomallow theory is real I would be ok if it's Dragonborn only if this happens.

Last edited:

Audioplasma

Smash Cadet
once geno gets in I will pre order his amiibo the second it gets announced,
And hopefully he would get popular to the point he gets a plushie.

D

Deleted member

Just heard about Fatmanonice Fatmanonice getting doxxed and while I may not always see eye-to-eye with him nor believe most of his rumors I do think he means well and isn't as malicious as people make him out to be so for that to happen to him is really disappointing and awful. I'm sorry to hear that everyone, I hope whoever did such a thing gets what's coming to them and I hope Fatman along with his family are okay.

Nobody deserves to go through being doxxed over being wrong on the funne mario/pikachu fighting/party game. I'm sorry to hear that. Also Happy New Years Eve Geno Thread I hope things get better and people stop being such a jerk in this new decade to come.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If an Elder Scrolls character gets in over Doomguy, someone please make an edit of the Mufasa death scene with Doomguy, Geno, and the new rep/Todd.

The situation will still suck for my Doomguy loving heart, but at least there would be that to see as a result.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
If an Elder Scrolls character gets in over Doomguy, someone please make an edit of the Mufasa death scene with Doomguy, Geno, and the new rep/Todd.

The situation will still suck for my Doomguy loving heart, but at least there would be that to see as a result.
Imagine if Dovahkiin comes with the Cacodemon Mii Costume. I would understand why Skyrim instead of Doom but.. Come'on Todd..

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Imagine if Dovahkiin comes with the Cacodemon Mii Costume. I would understand why Skyrim instead of Doom but.. Come'on Todd..
Of course Todd Howard has to inflate his already massively overinflated ego and think Skyrim is more important than Doom (I know that's not how it works, but Todd Howard's a pain in the ass and I'll take my shot while I can lol).

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Of course Todd Howard has to inflate his already massively overinflated ego and think Skyrim is more important than Doom (I know that's not how it works, but Todd Howard's a pain in the ass and I'll take my shot while I can lol).
Don't get too cheeky with Godd Howard, he'll force you to buy Skyrim again.

castinets98

Smash Cadet
Guess what … dlc 5 is a western fantasy swordsman from a company without a character, but it's not Dovahkiin or Ezio (sorry mes amis) or Geralt (Tony Hawk has been told he will be the first 4th party when the time comes). No, it's going to be the single most influential western character on Nintendo other than Popeye: The Stranger (aka The Avatar) from Ultima.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This dude probably doesn't know any more than we do but I thought that last part was interesting given the conversation we've had about FP5 today (As in I wonder if this stems from what Fatman has been saying, some other source, or if it's just this guy's hot take).

Last edited:

castinets98

Smash Cadet
This dude probably doesn't know any more than we do but I thought that last part was interesting given the conversation we've had about FP5 today

This guy must be reading my thoughts

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
tfw you guys call GimR just ‘this dude’ x_x
He makes a decent point even though it seems to fly contrary to historical last characters for Smash

Also, seeing Unchianed Limit Break Fatman speculation is legit terrifying

D

Deleted member

Guess what … dlc 5 is a western fantasy swordsman from a company without a character, but it's not Dovahkiin or Ezio (sorry mes amis) or Geralt (Tony Hawk has been told he will be the first 4th party when the time comes). No, it's going to be the single most influential western character on Nintendo other than Popeye: The Stranger (aka The Avatar) from Ultima.

I can't believe Lord British is fighter #5! I'm thrilled!

As for gimr... I still [citation needed] when I see "this was meant to be it". I feel like I missed the memo or something.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice

This would be unironically the best western rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom