• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So guys, it's theory time, and I grabbed my previous quotes about my theory about how Sakurai and Co. were WAY too ahead of schedule for them not to be planning something else (a stance I had taken since July) as well as my most recent theory of how I believe that there is a metric crap-ton of evidence that support the second wave of DLC being dropped into Sakurai's lap in early 2019 (as early as January) and thus they have been being negotiated for and worked on for a while now. Here are those posts for you to enjoy and use to catch up in case you want to have an idea of where I'm coming from as I'm not going into big details about them here.

So with that all that in mind, today's theory is that Geno is going to be an early reveal. Not Fighter #5 early, but either next in line after #5 or just after that (so, #6 or #7), and it's not just based on cute numbered timing.

Going off of the idea that the 2nd DLC was dropped on Sakurai very early on this year and thus there was a bit of a scramble to both negotiate for characters as well as finish designing the ones they already negotiated for, one thing REALLY sticks out: the lack of Geno's Mii Costume with Hero. It's been mentioned a lot by many of us that there was nothing stopping them from dropping Geno's costume as a returning right there and yet they still didn't and, for some reason, Hero is the only Fighter's Pass character with no returning costumes. Very strange, as even Banjo & Kazooie who got no other Rare or Microsoft costumes with them got both new and old costumes. I believe this is because originally they had plans to have Geno's costume return (maybe also with the Chocobo hat, but the hat really doesn't matter all that much) with Hero but that was scrapped at some time before the Mii Costume video was recorded and edited. Well, why would a need for his costume to be pulled last minute come up other than Sakurai managed to negotiate around that time for Geno himself to become playable!

Now remember, much of the footage that is used for reveals and breakdowns has to be recorded, translated when needed, and edited. This is why I don't think DLC was dropped in Sakurai's lap around May or June because there would not be enough time go over with Nintendo what specifics they are looking for AND negotiate with a company for their character successfully AND start development on that character AND still work on the five characters you need to have done by February. It makes much more sense for Nintendo to see the crazy sales of Ultimate and also see all the pre-orders/sales of the Fighter's Pass after the Joker reveal and say "Damn, if it sold this well already with just Joker and we have all these bombs of characters coming through? THIS PRINTS MONEY! Quick, someone send word to Sakurai...more, we WANT MORE~!" which would give much more time for Sakurai to play ball with other companies. It also explains the big gap between Joker's reveal in December and Joker's drop in April with barely any news and no other reveals in between: that whole time was focused on bother developing the DQ Crew and B&K while ALSO negotiating new characters! Damn, Sakurai and Co. always busting ass, man. :/

Thus, if Sakurai hadn't negotiated successfully for Geno to be playable before making all that final footage for the Mii Costume Reveal #2, there would be no point in not including the costume that they would most likely have rights to since Geno was already a Spirit and and Icon in the base game. Likely, it would have been negotiated for with his Spirit and Icon because Hero would have been negotiated for roughly around the same time. Honestly, what I think may have happened is that Sakurai got the rights for Geno as playable and then pulled either his costume alone or with the Chocobo hat and it was too late to negotiate for more Mii Costumes for DQ so Sakurai decided to let DQ shine on it's own with less costumes than the other characters and that he will bring back the Geno costume with Geno's reveal.

Also, think about how Geno could work as #6 or #7 very well. If he's #6, not only is he TECHNICALLY the 7th DLC character due to Piranha Plant not making the base roster but he would also be the first reveal post-Fighter's Pass and I have to say...Smash always hits hard with their first couple reveals, so what better way to hit hard for Season 2 but to reveal the last of the Trifecta and one of the biggest fan requests of ALL TIME while also simultaneously showing that just about anyone can get in? He also works as #7 because Smash tends to have hard-hitting reveals up until the end when they tend to whimper more and then he would also be the legitimate 7th DLC character for those who don't include the plant.

What's crazier is, this matches up with my timeline theory: if Geno is #6/#7, he is either the first or second character to be negotiated for after Wave 2 was dropped into Sakurai's lap, meaning he would have been negotiated for before E3 likely and had things changed around for his Mii Costume to be pulled from the #2 Mii Costume Wave. Here is the thing thought...it's gets better!

You guys remember the CacoMallow leak? You know, the one that has an image and two gameplay vids of Mii Costumes that look very credible and still hasn't been debunked but rather forgotten about much like the Ken debug leak? Barring the easy call that the Mallow hat would come with Geno, think about when we saw this: this was early last month in November. Remember how finished they looked? Like, those costumes looked ready to be launched that day, right? Well we know that characters and content that comes with them all tends to be done well in advance, right? Well if Geno was either the first or second character to be negotiated for, wouldn't it make sense of the Mii Costumes to come with him to be done or mostly done already by November? To be ready to revealed early next year? It makes so much sense because they still had five characters to make, yet they clearly were ahead of schedule enough to start working on other content, and having the simpler costumes be basically ready to pay for and download by November makes SO MUCH SENSE!

Guys, I'm losing the ability to be coherent because my hype is flooding. I'm SO confident that I would say Geno is basically a lock. I'm like 99.999~ that he's coming next year. I also have my thoughts about a certain sneaky individual and a couple of spiky-haired boys and a warrior, but none of them are Geno so I can't post about that here. If you want more on them, head over to the Star Road Discord server!

GUYS I'M SO PUMPED! GAAAAAAHHHALALALALALALAL~!
Another great post, my guy! If I may, I have something else to add to this, mainly some speculation on when we could see the next few fighters and what that could mean for Geno. So right now we're in December, and the current promised release window for all of these Fighter Pass characters is before the end of February. I still believe that the next Fighter Pass character will be released before then, and if that's still to happen then it's likely we'll either see one of two things happen:
1 - FP5 is revealed in January and released by the end of February
or 2 - A direct is announced, either for Smash in general or just FP5, with FP5 being revealed and released on that same day before the end of February.

So at this point, the Fighter Pass is complete, all of the characters have been shown off and released. So the stage is set for the first post-FP DLCs to start being revealed. I think it's a safe bet for the first post-FP character to get revealed in the first Nintendo Direct of the year, which by my estimates would be early March or April, preferably the former. This character would then be released sometime around the middle or end of May. June is of course E3 time, and it's very likely we will see another DLC character (two if we're lucky) revealed there. So what does this have to do with Geno? Well, working off of your post which suggests that Geno would be an early reveal rather than a later one, it's possible that we could see Geno revealed as early as March or as late as E3.

The Direct happening in early March would be damn near perfect for a Geno reveal since March is around the 24th anniversary of Super Mario RPG's Japanese release, which happened on the 9th and would also be a good excuse to re-release Super Mario RPG for NSO. This would then be followed by his release, which I would estimate based on previous reveals to release times would be sometime around mid-May, which would also be perfect since that's the same month when Super Mario RPG was released in the states, which happened on the 13th. Of course, this is all just wishful thinking on my part. Typically they don't host their Nintendo Directs on days pertaining to a game's anniversary.

E3 2020, on the other hand, would also be a great time to reveal Geno. I made a post a little bit ago that details this very thing, so feel free to read it if you'd like, but I'll summarize my point here.
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/post-23744256
Basically, I figured that since E3 2018 and E3 2019 both delivered very highly-requested characters (Ridley in 2018, and Hero and Banjo in 2019), there's a good chance that they may be planning to do it again this coming E3, and they character they're planning to go with is Geno.

Now since I got a few comments questioning why Geno would fit, I'll quickly address that. Geno is a character that a lot of people have wanted for a long time, a character that some people would say is impossible for a variety of reasons or is merely the ask of an incredibly loud vocal minority, someone that nobody knows or cares about outside of the "Smash Bubble". I compare Geno to the likes of Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo because a lot of these kinds of complaints were levied at those three before they eventually made it to the game.
- :ultridley: was written off as impossible by many people, "He's too big!" they'd say, "Even Sakurai thinks so! He'll NEVER be in Smash!". To most outsiders, his inclusion was the butt of every joke. He was to be seen as the ultimate benchmark for what is impossible for Smash. And yet, he got in.
- :ultkrool: was also written off as an unlikely pick by the masses, "He's irrelevant!" they'd say, "He hasn't been in a game in over 10 years! Nobody knows who he is! He'll NEVER be in Smash!". Despite being on everyone's tounges during the Smash Ballot, he was considered unlikely, even after Ridley had made it into the game. And yet, he got in as well.
- :ultbanjokazooie: were also widely considered a pipe dream by many people, including his supporters (myself included), "They're old and irrelevant!" they'd say, "They're owned by one of Nintendo biggest rivals! Only those GODDAMN BOOMERS care about this dumb cereal mascot! They'll NEVER be in Smash!". Despite Phil Spencer himself saying he'd be fine with it, and despite being all but confirmed by Shinobi, there were many people who never thought he had a chance. And yet, they got in with great fanfare!

So I think that if Geno is to come next year, it's most likely going to be at E3. E3 is where the biggest reveals tend happen, where the more hardcore fans gather 'round to laugh at the terrible conferences and for just one day choose to believe Todd's sweet little lies. If you're to reveal a highly-requested character, one that will instill pure hype and excitement for your product, there's no better place to do it. There's also the fun, wishful-thinking tier little detail that, if he is to come at E3 at this rate, he'll most likely be the 7th DLC Fighter not counting Plant. And what is his game about? Collecting the 7 stars. Checkmate, atheists!
GenoBoomer.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can't believe Seth is my waifu now.

Edit: 6 likes and I'll start posting Fem Seth lewds
That awkward moment when you like before you read the edit and feel you can't unlike because you have committed to the decision.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A quick reminder that inappropriate content rules are a thing; I know there have been problems in the past with people sending lewd fan art to other users. (especially if the users being sent the fan-art are underage)

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
A quick reminder that inappropriate content rules are a thing; I know there have been problems in the past with people sending lewd fan art to other users.
oh crap boys, the mods are here, pack your things and RUN!!!

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Say no more, fams.

Here's a warm up.

A quick reminder that inappropriate content rules are a thing; I know there have been problems in the past with people sending lewd fan art to other users. (especially if the users being sent the fan-art are underage)
Is this inappropriate?

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Well I mean, yeah, but I think that's the joke. No one's actually gonna p-
Say no more, fams.

Here's a warm up.

Is this inappropriate?
...You know, sometimes even I'm surprised by people's carelessness.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Say no more, fams.

Here's a warm up.

Is this inappropriate?
I think it's fair to say that the limits should not be tested.

This thread has gotten locked for several things and I don't think we want people's artistic responses to the new Seth to be one of them.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is this inappropriate?
It's pushing it, in my eyes (one thing to ask yourself - would this kind of image work in Smash Bros.?), and also, it's not exactly on-topic. I'd rather not risk having this turn into people trying to push the envelope of what is or is not allowed to be posted.

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
It's pushing it, in my eyes (one thing to ask yourself - would this kind of image work in Smash Bros.?), and also, it's not exactly on-topic. I'd rather not risk having this turn into people trying to push the envelope of what is or is not allowed to be posted.
Apologies. Let's get things back on track.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Not to change the subject or anything, but I'm making a Mallow moveset right now. I plan to make movesets for some of the important characters that are moveset-able. Particularly Smithy and Boshi. Anyone have suggestions for characters that could have a cool moveset? (Specifically from SMRPG, obviously.)

or just give me ideas for Mallow's normals because wow im blanking super hard rn

DeputyDalmatian

Smash Cadet
Admittedly, I’ve always found myself significantly more concerned with Geno’s inclusion as a character than any other SMRPG content. Then I started to really wish for Boshi as a Yoshi echo when echo characters became an official thing. And the more I think about it the more I actually feel kind of bad for Mallow. He’s left in the cold for Geno’s sake amongst a lot of discussion. Assuming there’s no chance for his inclusion as a character, what are some fun ways you guys think he could make a cameo when Geno is announced? (Remember I’m still living in the timeline he’s fighter 5 :p) Personally, I think Mallow would be perfect for Geno’s Final Smash, kind of like Chrom was for Robin’s in Smash 4. I think maybe Mallow could “light” the cannon for Geno’s Flash! Or, it would be neat to see the two team up for a completely original attack: maybe they drive the Nimbus Bus over all the characters across the screen haha.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here is a query, say Geno was revealed with someone else in the same exact trailer, who would you want it to be and how would it go?

Griselda

Smash Lord
Admittedly, I’ve always found myself significantly more concerned with Geno’s inclusion as a character than any other SMRPG content. Then I started to really wish for Boshi as a Yoshi echo when echo characters became an official thing. And the more I think about it the more I actually feel kind of bad for Mallow. He’s left in the cold for Geno’s sake amongst a lot of discussion. Assuming there’s no chance for his inclusion as a character, what are some fun ways you guys think he could make a cameo when Geno is announced? (Remember I’m still living in the timeline he’s fighter 5 :p) Personally, I think Mallow would be perfect for Geno’s Final Smash, kind of like Chrom was for Robin’s in Smash 4. I think maybe Mallow could “light” the cannon for Geno’s Flash! Or, it would be neat to see the two team up for a completely original attack: maybe they drive the Nimbus Bus over all the characters across the screen haha.
A Boshi echo would be nice - unfortunately, echoes in general seem rather underused. I'm still confused at how Shadow wasn't a Sonic echo, or Hilda for Zelda. It's bizarre how Zelda doesn't even have a Hilda alt color, given the Alttp/Albw design she has this game.

On Mallow, I'd love him making an appearance in Geno's final smash. It'd feel less jarring than him popping in and out of existence in his taunts, to me at least.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
..Except then at the end of the Smash direct:

Smithy Drops The Hammer! featuring the Geno Mii costume.
Smash Fans Who Don't Understand Kirby: Bonkers should be the echo for Dedede.

Smash Fans Who Do Understand Kirby: Shadow Dedede should be the echo for Dedede.

The Next Levels: Smithy should be the echo for Dedede.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Smash Fans Who Don't Understand Kirby: Bonkers should be the echo for Dedede.

Smash Fans Who Do Understand Kirby: Shadow Dedede should be the echo for Dedede.

The Next Levels: Smithy should be the echo for Dedede.
I take offense to this. Bonkers should 100% be the D3 echo, Shadow Dedede would be way too boring. Sure you'd have to change a few moves, but the echos that change nothing are boring anyway.

Smithy is clearly 10x better than both options though you're right.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I take offense to this. Bonkers should 100% be the D3 echo, Shadow Dedede would be way too boring. Sure you'd have to change a few moves, but the echos that change nothing are boring anyway.

Smithy is clearly 10x better than both options though you're right.
Except you're not thinking outside the box if you think Shadow Dedede would be a boring echo. You can have his inhale work like a fusion of Dedede's and Wario's bite. You could make the Gordo a shadow orb that could be absorbed by Game and Watch's oil pan or Ness's psi field. You could even replace the Jet Hammer with one that works like Link's hero spin that makes him spin around with an axe.
Shadow Dedede is a slept on echo option, honestly. Bonkers doesn't even remotely match Dedede's arsenal or body proportions.

Smithy would be a weird echo though, especially to poor Boshi fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom