• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Doom has an impressive legacy for sure. But Halo's legacy also cannot be ignored. Halo was a killer app, full stop. It sold Xboxes, It had a big effect on the design of FPS games in general after it's release. Plus it more or less kept microsoft from falling out of the console game.

after the Xbox, everyone wanted to be halo, it was effectively the gold standard of FPS in it's generation.
I agree with this. Master Chief is Microsoft's Mario, ya know? Bungie made the FPS work on consoles, something that most believed wouldn't transition well. Right?

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I honestly don't think we're getting another western character and if we would, I'd bet my money on Crash as his games are pretty successful in Japan while the FPS genre overall is pretty unpopular over there.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Personally, I have doubts about Master Chief coming to Smash. Master Chief Collection on Switch has been in the rumor mill for a good long while now, and the fact that something related to Halo is even potentially still kicking makes me believe that it wasn't leak bait. No, I also don't think it's both because the promotional aspect of DLC hasn't really been used outside of Hero.

I DO think that MCC will be a reveal for the Game Awards if it's coming. Add in Smash and potentially Bayonetta 3 and BOTW2, that's a pretty solid lineup. And if Smash is DoomGeno, I could totally see a pivot from the Smash reveal being like "well DOOM is the grandfather of modern FPS games, but Halo is one of the most iconic series of all time" leading into the MCC reveal.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Personally, I have doubts about Master Chief coming to Smash. Master Chief Collection on Switch has been in the rumor mill for a good long while now, and the fact that something related to Halo is even potentially still kicking makes me believe that it wasn't leak bait. No, I also don't think it's both because the promotional aspect of DLC hasn't really been used outside of Hero.

I DO think that MCC will be a reveal for the Game Awards if it's coming. Add in Smash and potentially Bayonetta 3 and BOTW2, that's a pretty solid lineup. And if Smash is DoomGeno, I could totally see a pivot from the Smash reveal being like "well DOOM is the grandfather of modern FPS games, but Halo is one of the most iconic series of all time" leading into the MCC reveal.
It's funny if you think about it, doom and halo are kind of analogous to dragon quest and final fantasy.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Looks like the Video Game Awards has a lot of good stuff to show this year. Smash Bros. Ultimate, something Sonic related and now Space Jam 2! What other good things could they show? Either way, I am excited to watch!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I honestly don't think we're getting another western character and if we would, I'd bet my money on Crash as his games are pretty successful in Japan while the FPS genre overall is pretty unpopular over there.
I would like to see Crash as well. Never really played much PlayStation, but I still think of the bandicoot when I think PlayStation. Kratos is the new face, right? Banjo/Kazooie and Chief vs Crash and Kratos. I'm down.

D

Deleted member

Looks like the Video Game Awards has a lot of good stuff to show this year. Smash Bros. Ultimate, something Sonic related and now Space Jam 2! What other good things could they show? Either way, I am excited to watch!
Hopefully they show Despacito 3!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Doom has an impressive legacy for sure. But Halo's legacy also cannot be ignored. Halo was a killer app, full stop. It sold Xboxes, It had a big effect on the design of FPS games in general after it's release. Plus it more or less kept microsoft from falling out of the console game.

after the Xbox, everyone wanted to be halo, it was effectively the gold standard of FPS in it's generation.
Yeah. Doom (1993) might be the reason Halo exists, but Halo is the reason Doom (2016) exists.

That said, Geno is the reason both of them exist, having answered John Carmack and John Romero's prayers in the Star Road

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, as unlikely as it seems for most people, I do hope that Ultimate can get both Master Chief and Doom Slayer. I mean, what other game would have the opportunity to have a match between the three top power suit wearing certified bad***es in Samus, the Doom Slayer, and Master Chief?

Also, Geno could be there. He did hang out with Samus that one time...

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
That's why there's a huge pushback against KOS-MOS. Also the fact that the Insiders seemingly killed off every other major pick that would end the pass on a high note

Like, if I had to list the universally accepted "Best Fighter 5 Choices" across the Smash Fandom it'd be: Geno, Doomslayer, Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Sora, Nightmare, Heihachi, and Dante, and basically everyone on that list has been wiped out by Insiders. Honorable mention goes to Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu
Is heihaci really that loved? I figured he and lloyd were neck and neck despite "muh animu swordsman". I wholeheartedly agree with everything else though.
Clarifying edit: I know Heihaci/Tekken are popular, I'm just skeptical of "Heihaci/Tekken are universally accepted ... across the Smash Fandom"

May I see it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Outside of Smash, is there any other type of announcement that you guys expect or want?

After Soul Calibur VI last year, i kinda want to see another game announced (or should i say showcased since it was already announced) here: King Of Fighters XV. Pipe Dream i know.

Quick anecdote here: Im from Chile (yeah bad timing i know) and as such im familiar with KOF as the rest of Latin America is. SF and KOF are kinda like the gaming equivalent of DBZ and Saint Seiya, the former is popular in the Americas in general, while the latter failed to gain a mainstream audience in English Speaking Countries like the US but more than achieved cultural status in Latam as a whole. I never noticed this until i was an adult. However i never had that much of an incentive to play it until Terry's confirmation in Smash, so i decided to buy KOF 97, 2000 and Garou MOTW (because i wanted to play the game series Terry actually originates, you know? Fatal Fury) alongside Terry in Smash and i must say, i got hooked in 97 and 2000 during this November (i enjoyed Garou Mark of Hotaru too, but im not a fan of "do all this **** with AAA ranks and don't lose a single round just to see an actual ending for the fighter"), and managed to develop quite more of an attachtment to this series than i ever did to SF with its characters (the only non-Smash Fighter that i ever had that much of a sentimental attachtment was Marvel Vs Capcom, and that's only because of me playing it as a child, im not even super hardcore into anything Marvel).

It also made me reaaaaaaallllly Wish Kyo was chosen instead :(.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Outside of Smash, is there any other type of announcement that you guys expect or want?

After Soul Calibur VI last year, i kinda want to see another game announced (or should i say showcased since it was already announced) here: King Of Fighters XV. Pipe Dream i know.

Quick anecdote here: Im from Chile (yeah bad timing i know) and as such im familiar with KOF as the rest of Latin America is. SF and KOF are kinda like the gaming equivalent of DBZ and Saint Seiya, the former is popular in the Americas in general, while the latter failed to gain a mainstream audience in English Speaking Countries like the US but more than achieved cultural status in Latam as a whole. I never noticed this until i was an adult. However i never had that much of an incentive to play it until Terry's confirmation in Smash, so i decided to buy KOF 97, 2000 and Garou MOTW (because i wanted to play the game series Terry actually originates, you know? Fatal Fury) alongside Terry in Smash and i must say, i got hooked in 97 and 2000 during this November (i enjoyed Garou Mark of Hotaru too, but im not a fan of "do all this **** with AAA ranks and don't lose a single round just to see an actual ending for the fighter"), and managed to develop quite more of an attachtment to this series than i ever did to SF with its characters (the only non-Smash Fighter that i ever had that much of a sentimental attachtment was Marvel Vs Capcom, and that's only because of me playing it as a child, im not even super hardcore into anything Marvel).

I'm looking forward to that new Crash game we know is coming. Honestly I'll roll with whatever we get, Smash is really all I'm in this for

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice

Smash is my main hope, but other than that? I wouldn't say I'd expect it, but I'd love an HD remake of both Sonic Adventure games. Those (along with Mario) were my childhood, specifically Adventure 2, Mario 64, and Paper Mario. Yes, no Mario RPG there, but I got into it awhile after when I discovered emulation. Besides that, I'd like any new first party games. Mario Odyssey 2/Sunshine HD, some BotW 2 news, anything like that.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Rhythm Heaven Megamix ported to switch, or just a new RH game in general would be amazing. It probably won't happen at TGA if it does happen though.

Uh... Reggie himself personally announcing Mother 3? That'd be dope.

I just want Geno my guy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't have the photoshop mastery some of you seem to have, but here are a few memes I've made. Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , about your list of ten, are the two unknown fighters particularly fanservicey like Geno, Lloyd or Waluigi, or less so, like Sol Badguy or (to an extent) Nightmare?
I'll go ahead and name one of them because I'm 99.999999999999% sure it's not real or a stand in for someone else and, honestly, I'm just kind of tired of this whole damn thing. Remember how I mentioned that only one other Western had been heard? Well, that character is Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher series. Golly, what a revelation! Not really... The problem with this is that the Witcher actually started as a Polish novel series and Geralt's first appearance goes back to 1986. Since then, the series has been adapted into a buttload of stuff including comic books and movies so saying Geralt getting into Smash would be about the same as saying that Batman could get into Smash... it's not happening... The name hasn't exactly been super persistent or commonly heard (I think the last time anyone heard it was like the mid summer) and has always been like "wow! That's really cool, oh... wait... he goes against Sakurai's rules..." Beyond this, Geralt's copyright is all over the place and legal battles about it have been super heated and expensive.

Why has the name been held onto then? Again, possibly a stand in for someone else but, more likely than not, was just another case of Smash rumors being stuck onto real rumors back during the spring and summer that we heard about Witcher III coming to Switch (which it did). Another reason it's been held onto is because, it shares similarities with Bethesda properties and the two are very often compared with each other. This potentially bring ups the tin foil theory that Geralt's a stand in for a Bethesda character or was mistaken as one. One thing we do know is that Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash as evidenced here:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._bros_future_nintendo_exclusives_are_possible

On that note, we have no idea how far the talks went. Nintendo may have just nodded and smiled like a parent listening to their kid describe an imaginary friend and never took the talk seriously or we might be getting a Bethesda character later. Again, we don't know but, if it happens, it's 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% not going to be Geralt (who, once again, doesn't belong to Bethesda). From there, it's just frustrating because Bethesda has a ton of big properties but no Bethesda characters have been heard with supporting evidence. Like I told the group, Doom Guy only entered the conversation because of the whole Jiggle Mallow thing but was never heard in insider circles. You also have big contenders like Fall Out and Elder Scrolls. Again, a lot of this is shaky, but notable.

It's kind of similar to Lloyd, Dante, Sol, and Nightmare in that all these characters had other rumors tied to them aside from Smash but relating to Nintendo. Dante came true, Tales stuff is hard in limbo but supposedly still coming, Guilty Gear for Switch was announced late November, and Soul Calibur on Switch are currently MIA and may ultimately not be real. As you all remember, Half Life was in the same boat recently too, fake Smash news attached to real news. Like I said, the Witcher III did happen for Switch and it was known for a few months behind closed doors before it was made public. Tracing back, Geralt could be a case of mistaken identity (or company in this case) or was another example of Smash just casually being stuck on something true so that it would garner more attention.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
What would Geno look like if he was a Dark Souls boss? What would be his name?

If Geno was a mid- or final-stage evo Pokemon, what would the other two lines in his family look like? What would they be named? What would be Geno’s typing? Would he still be called Geno?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Oh my wants for game awards?
Golden Sun 4
Persona 5 for Switch
Sonic Adventure remake
Shadow the Hedgehog remake
New Vegas switch port
Mother 3
Mario Sunshine sequel
Deltarune Chapter 2 announcement
FNAF 5 & 6 ports to console
Half-Life ports to modern console
FNAF 8 announcement.

Really, a lot of ports.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I thought about Geralt sometimes. He would be great and the Witcher 3 deserves some kind of representation in Smash.....if it wasn't for the fact that the Witcher originated as a book series.so that makes Geralt 4th party.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
What would Geno look like if he was a Dark Souls boss? What would be his name?

If Geno was a mid- or final-stage evo Pokemon, what would the other two lines in his family look like? What would they be named? What would be Geno’s typing? Would he still be called Geno?
If Geno was in an evolutionary line, I can't help but think of Cosmog from Sun and Moon. I'd imagine Geno would start out in his star spirit form as a Fairy type. His puppet form is trickier. The wooden doll/puppet makes me think of a Grass type, but his hidden weapons sound more like a Steel type. I'm going to go with Fairy/Steel because I keep thinking of the Steel move Flash Cannon and Geno Flash. I think you could get away with Geno's appearance since Lucario isn't immediately recognizable as a Steel type.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Geralt of Rivia would be in Smash. I know people don't like hearing this (especially the Newcomer Thread) but he comes from a book. Sakurai made that very clear that he doesn't want to inlcude characters that DO NOT originate from Video Games. Yes Dracula is in Smash, but that's Castlevania's Dracula, who is pretty much a stock public domain figure that trascends Pop Culture and is basically a modern day mythology character, and i don't think Geralt has reached that status.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just for the sake of discussion, these are the topics that I'm covering concerning Geno in the big essay:

-Geno's history and longevity in the Smash community
-the Geno Mii costume and its history
-History of Geno related rumors and leaks (Grinch, Mii costume, and Jiggle Mallow)
-Fan Service and how its been implemented into Ultimate
-the DLC Cycle (history, development, etc)
-Sakurai's thoughts on Geno
-Odd Happenings and Coincidences concerning Geno and Smash
-Confidence among insiders within the community

D

Deleted member

Just for the sake of discussion, these are the topics that I'm covering concerning Geno in the big essay:

-History of Geno related rumors and leaks (Grinch, Mii costume, and Jiggle Mallow)
Im ready for Fatman's New Testament.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
How delightfully devilish Convoy
I'll go ahead and name one of them because I'm 99.999999999999% sure it's not real or a stand in for someone else and, honestly, I'm just kind of tired of this whole damn thing. Remember how I mentioned that only one other Western had been heard? Well, that character is Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher series. Golly, what a revelation! Not really... The problem with this is that the Witcher actually started as a Polish novel series and Geralt's first appearance goes back to 1986. Since then, the series has been adapted into a buttload of stuff including comic books and movies so saying Geralt getting into Smash would be about the same as saying that Batman could get into Smash... it's not happening... The name hasn't exactly been super persistent or commonly heard (I think the last time anyone heard it was like the mid summer) and has always been like "wow! That's really cool, oh... wait... he goes against Sakurai's rules..." Beyond this, Geralt's copyright is all over the place and legal battles about it have been super heated and expensive.

Why has the name been held onto then? Again, possibly a stand in for someone else but, more likely than not, was just another case of Smash rumors being stuck onto real rumors back during the spring and summer that we heard about Witcher III coming to Switch (which it did). Another reason it's been held onto is because, it shares similarities with Bethesda properties and the two are very often compared with each other. This potentially bring ups the tin foil theory that Geralt's a stand in for a Bethesda character or was mistaken as one. One thing we do know is that Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash as evidenced here:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._bros_future_nintendo_exclusives_are_possible

On that note, we have no idea how far the talks went. Nintendo may have just nodded and smiled like a parent listening to their kid describe an imaginary friend and never took the talk seriously or we might be getting a Bethesda character later. Again, we don't know but, if it happens, it's 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% not going to be Geralt (who, once again, doesn't belong to Bethesda). From there, it's just frustrating because Bethesda has a ton of big properties but no Bethesda characters have been heard with supporting evidence. Like I told the group, Doom Guy only entered the conversation because of the whole Jiggle Mallow thing but was never heard in insider circles. You also have big contenders like Fall Out and Elder Scrolls. Again, a lot of this is shaky, but notable.

It's kind of similar to Lloyd, Dante, Sol, and Nightmare in that all these characters had other rumors tied to them aside from Smash but relating to Nintendo. Dante came true, Tales stuff is hard in limbo but supposedly still coming, Guilty Gear for Switch was announced late November, and Soul Calibur on Switch are currently MIA and may ultimately not be real. As you all remember, Half Life was in the same boat recently too, fake Smash news attached to real news. Like I said, the Witcher III did happen for Switch and it was known for a few months behind closed doors before it was made public. Tracing back, Geralt could be a case of mistaken identity (or company in this case) or was another example of Smash just casually being stuck on something true so that it would garner more attention.
Geralt is likely the only 4th party most people would be okay with, but we probably shouldn’t open those floodgates. Its very interesting that he stayed relevant enough to make the top ten though

MisterMike

Smash Champion

I'M READY.
IAmReady5.png

pinshadow

Smash Lord
All this really does is make me wonder who the last person on the list even is, and why the name hasn't come out yet if every other one has. If it's
  • Not Western
  • Not Extremely Niche
  • Not Sora, Doomguy, or any character already in the game if Waluigi and Geno are the only promotions that have actually been heard about
then I got nothing.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Me and my boy Wanii are now floating heads I suppose

(Thank you, Franco. Don't forget me again or I'll go after you like I do Wynn:ultpacman:Jk. ...unless?)

(Nah, but what if Wynn and I are actually secret lovers in disguise? AdamBel x Wynn
The most ambitious crossover in history.)

(Hm, but I'm not gay though. Maybe Wynn is a girl. A very spicy girl.)

(This got weird. Sorry.)
f2bd099f-2196-4258-a57f-b456cf389b6c.gif

RingJ5

Smash Ace
All this really does is make me wonder who the last person on the list even is, and why the name hasn't come out yet if every other one has. If it's
  • Not Western
  • Not Extremely Niche
  • Not Sora, Doomguy, or any character already in the game if Waluigi and Geno are the only promotions that have actually been heard about
then I got nothing.
I don’t think there’s anything actually stopping it from being western, people just haven’t heard any rumors regarding said western characters.

Edit: Wait, thought you meant #5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom