• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Congrats on the 1700 pages guys. Shame Geno isn't FP5(if sabi's source is right), but I still think Geno is a garuntee at this popint. the question is when.

as for FP5, I am still leaning towards Shantae or Reimu(if that doujin leak is still legit, nothing has killed it yet). Sakurai said that reconition is not important to him, but fun gameplay, and this FP is a celebration of games. Why not end the pass with a Indie fighter? These 2 seem the most likely, as Shantae has a very long history with nintendo and is the longest currently ongoing indie in the west(and who cares if she is a spirit, her getting in helps geno's chances a bunch),and Reimu is the biggest Indie/Doujin character in japan and is mega popular in Japan and China.

Griselda

Smash Lord
If Geno doesn't come with a stage, then they need to update and improve stage builder so I can properly give him one.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Given what we know about fp5, my best guess would be dante. But I really want them to surprise us with a platinum rep like viewtiful joe.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Sabi semi-conforming the exact situation I expected of it originally just being assumed the costumes were tied to FP5 is unsurprising. Doesn’t do anything to help or hurt, but oh well.

And then within hours of me putting my foot down and standing firm somebody is able to replicate the core concepts. Geno definitely is by no means hurt by this, but I know when to jump from a burning vehicle, so I’m gonna have to consider this ‘leak’ dead in the water. Some dude was able to pull off in 4-5 days what a chunk of the modding community deemed nigh-impossible, imagine how long the original modder would have had to refine it to the quality in the ‘leak.’

Regardless, hope you guys get to see your guy for real soon, and the original modded comes out- I honestly want to congratulate the guy for making something so high quality and right under the nose of a community that didn’t believe it could be done.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
So Fighter 5 isn’t Hayabusa, Crash, Doomguy, or Geno, the pass is a celebration of games, and it’s likely coming at the game awards...

... guys I think it’s Master Chief
Unlikely considering we just got Banjo. So close together, both in the same pass, both accessible through the same method (DLC), both in the same game not to mention he is from a triple a Microsoft IP and they pointed out Banjo was an easy deal due to the previous presence on Nintendo systems potentially Hinting that anything more than Banjo/Rare are unlikely yeah I dunno about that

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Unlikely considering we just got Banjo. So close together, both in the same pass, both accessible through the same method (DLC), both in the same game not to mention he is from a triple a Microsoft IP and they pointed out Banjo was an easy deal due to the previous presence on Nintendo systems potentially Hinting that anything more than Banjo/Rare are unlikely yeah I dunno about that
Oh yeah I forgot Banjo was listed as being from Microsoft, not Rare. Okay then, yeah Dante seems a safe bet like other people are saying. I’d expect him over Lloyd at the VGAs.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Congrats on the 1700 pages guys. Shame Geno isn't FP5(if sabi's source is right), but I still think Geno is a garuntee at this popint. the question is when.

as for FP5, I am still leaning towards Shantae or Reimu(if that doujin leak is still legit, nothing has killed it yet). Sakurai said that reconition is not important to him, but fun gameplay, and this FP is a celebration of games. Why not end the pass with a Indie fighter? These 2 seem the most likely, as Shantae has a very long history with nintendo and is the longest currently ongoing indie in the west(and who cares if she is a spirit, her getting in helps geno's chances a bunch),and Reimu is the biggest Indie/Doujin character in japan and is mega popular in Japan and China.
By recognition I thought he meant relevance. Sakurai has gone on record multiple times saying that characters like Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru have not made the cut due to being Japanese exclusives and Lucas wouldn't have made the cut if Sakurai knew he wasn't going to the west. Roy seems to be an exception but actually Roy was a clone and as none of the fighter pass will be clones then that can't be the case.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Well based on Sabi(Polar Panda) tweet. It seems Fighter 5 will not be Geno or DoomGuy. I think Geno still has a shot down the line, but DoomGuy might not.

As for who is fighter #5, I think it will be a Bandai Namco rep. It might be a weird way to end on a character that isn’t that demanded. However keep in mind our last two characters for the base roster were Ken and Incineroar.

So it is possible to end the fighter pass with a Bandai Namco rep.

AbeSoddus

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4523-2453-0333
If it is faked than the only possible explanation I could think of is someone did all this work in a heavily modded version of smash4.
No, definitely not. lol
While we DID double up on JRPG's one after another with Joker and Hero, the two characters function so radically different; while Heihachi would have the same groundwork as Terry, Ryu, and Ken.
Heihachi would work very differently. No special move cancels, no supers, the only thing he'd have that's similar is facing the opponent in 1v1s at all times.

Also, if Sabi's source's whole reason for the leak being fake was that "these Mii costumes have nothing to do with Fighter 5", then that reason doesn't matter at all. This has been said before but we don't know when they develop these characters, stages and Mii costumes. The Nakoruru and Ryo costumes that came with Terry could've been finished way before work on Terry ever started, for example.

The modded Mallow hat that came out recently looks good, but just because modding Mii hats IS possible, doesn't mean the leaked ones are mods.
But eh, I'm 50/50 on it for now. Absolutely could still be a real leak, but could also be a mod. We'll see.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean, honestly, it was pretty obvious from the start that Geno wasn't going to be in the Fighters Pass. Between Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie and Fatal Fury, it's clear the focus from the get go was on previously unrepresented third party IPs. If the likes of Geno, Shantae, Rayman, etc were in the cards, they wouldn't of been made spirits in the base game.

The best hope for Geno has and always has been the DLC after the FP.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So who all are we looking at for FP5? It seems like I've heard and thought about:
- Llyod or a Bamco rep
- Dante or a Capcom rep
- Reimu
- Indie rep
- Surprise "wow" pick (Master Chief or Sony rep)
- Surprise First/Second party rep (seems unlikely, but trying to cover all bases)
- Sleeper pick

Am I missing anything? Idk honestly at this point I'm expecting the unexpected. I am not leaning towards "wow" or first/second party at all. Is Reimu even actually localized outside of Japan? If not I feel like she's not going to happen either.

Also DOOM Bros hang in there. I hope you get your guy. I think Geno is still looking good for post FP which is where I always said he'd be if he made into DLC.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
even though Geno isn't going to be number 5... I can still hope for a double reveal! I swear to god I'm gonna lose it if they string me along for six more months.
:smileye:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
3 RPG characters in the pass still wouldn't really show how much diversity there is in game style. That is a lot of games untouched.

But god I hope it's Wright.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
So who all are we looking at for FP5? It seems like I've heard and thought about:
- Llyod or a Bamco rep
- Dante or a Capcom rep
- Reimu
- Indie rep
- Surprise First/Second party rep (seems unlikely, but trying to cover all bases)
- Sleeper pick

Am I missing anything? Idk honestly at this point I'm expecting the unexpected. I am not leaning towards "wow" or first/second party at all. Is Reimu even actually localized outside of Japan? If not I feel like she's not going to happen either.

Also DOOM Bros hang in there. I hope you get your guy. I think Geno is still looking good for post FP which is where I always said he'd be if he made into DLC.
I think Reimu probably is outside of Japan but only by a margin. So imo I highly doubt Reimu will happen. I think a Bamco rep has the best shot. Makes too much sense. Lloyd or Heihachi seem to be the top 2 but I can't imagine 3 JRPG characters in a pack of 5. Heihachi has the Mii Outfit which didn't return despite the fact that nothing was stopping it so either they are saving it for later, it isn't returning or he is playable. I don't think it's the second option due to how simple it will be to access and bring back which leaves the other 2

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
3 RPG characters in the pass still wouldn't really show how much diversity there is in game style. That is a lot of games untouched.

But god I hope it's Wright.
I mean, Smash 4 gave us 5/7 characters that originated from Japanese produced RPG titles, so I don't think Sakurai really cares if he's showing "diversity" in game style. I think he's much more interested in the series that he can bring to Smash that mean something to gaming and fans around the world, and JRPGs have a tendency to make some long-lasting connections with many fans of gaming.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I really doubt fighter pass 5 is going to be lloyd or heihachi. There is alredy one fighting game character and 2 Rpg charactes in the pass and if a reveal in the Game awards is true, Lloyd really is no the type of character I think they will reveal there. I think a bandai namco rep is inevitable at the end, but not for the fighter pass.

Also another Capcom rep is unlikely. Remember that all the Characters from the pass come from different companies that didn't have a character in ultimate., at least in some extense.

Joker - Atlus (Sega)

Hero- Enix (Square Enix)

Banjo-Kazooie - Rare (Microsoft).

Terry - Snk.

So in conclussion. I really expect that FP 5 is going to be from a company with no characters in the game and from a genre not yet represented in the pass.

This leaves out Capcom-Bandai reps. Geno-Hayabusa-Doomguy-Crash, for what the leaks say. And most of the plataformer, fighting, and rpg characters.

Reimu could be a good rep that fits the criteria above. Also is an indie character and it will really be unexpected. The Knight of Hollow Knight would be another guess. Metroidvania genres are not very well represented in Smash and Nintendo has beenn promoting the new Silksong game a lot, even having it to be tested in the E3 and other events. However he is very new and I do not know if Sakurai will want recent characters in the fighter pass.

My most likeky bet is Reimu followed by the Knight in a reveal at the game awards.
Technically speaking, the Knight would be the second youngest character in Smash if you count the Luminary alt for Hero as a different character, since Hollow Knight came out in early 2017.

If I had to make predictions for who fighter #5 is, I'd place bets on the Knight...Reimu....um...what else is there?

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
even though Geno isn't going to be number 5... I can still hope for a double reveal! I swear to god I'm gonna lose it if they string me along for six more months.
:smileye:
You haven't lost it yet? Wow lucky you. I didn't know any of us were still clinging to sanity.

I think Reimu probably is outside of Japan but only by a margin. So imo I highly doubt Reimu will happen. I think a Bamco rep has the best shot. Makes too much sense. Lloyd or Heihachi seem to be the top 2 but I can't imagine 3 JRPG characters in a pack of 5. Heihachi has the Mii Outfit which didn't return despite the fact that nothing was stopping it so either they are saving it for later, it isn't returning or he is playable. I don't think it's the second option due to how simple it will be to access and bring back which leaves the other 2
That's kinda what I thought about Reimu, but who knows. I still believe that Nintendo really is choosing the DLC and I don't know how they'd think about Reimu since it's probably mainly NoJ making the choices.

I know Llyod and Heihachi are top 2 but if we do get a Bamco rep I really hope it's a Soul Calibur rep like Siegfried/Nightmare or Yoshimitsu even tho I think they're unlikely. I would say a Dark Souls rep has a better shot than SC rep.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
You haven't lost it yet? Wow lucky you. I didn't know any of us were still clinging to sanity.

That's kinda what I thought about Reimu, but who knows. I still believe that Nintendo really is choosing the DLC and I don't know how they'd think about Reimu since it's probably mainly NoJ making the choices.

I know Llyod and Heihachi are top 2 but if we do get a Bamco rep I really hope it's a Soul Calibur rep like Siegfried/Nightmare or Yoshimitsu even tho I think they're unlikely. I would say a Dark Souls rep has a better shot than SC rep.
Although NoJ are probably fully aware of Touhou's popularity in Japan they are probably also aware that it is only popular in Japan and areas around there. As for SoulCalibur rep yeah I'd rather have Sigfried or Nightmare too as Heihachi imo looks pretty standard in terms of design compared to the others but inevitably Tekken will be prioritized over SoulCalibur.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I mean, Smash 4 gave us 5/7 characters that originated from Japanese produced RPG titles, so I don't think Sakurai really cares if he's showing "diversity" in game style. I think he's much more interested in the series that he can bring to Smash that mean something to gaming and fans around the world, and JRPGs have a tendency to make some long-lasting connections with many fans of gaming.
I know I know. You're right, I just feel constantly left out that I don't like most RPGs and Sakurai tends to want to add characters from RPGs.

Also a lot of you are sleeping on the true namco pick.
Digdug_by_dillanmurillo-d93unsv.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gonna be honest, I'm back at Square 2 with Geno. The mii hat leak being apparently easier to do than we thought combined with Sabi's source saying the leak isn't tied to Fighter #5 in anyway is damaging.

Coupled with PapaGenos confessing that his Goemon source can just give wrong info, I have no evidence or basis to now think Geno is in except hope Sakurai throws a bone. Okay Ovaltine Ovaltine maybe caution has its merits lol.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
We're still 67 first party characters to 14 third party characters, we've still got a lot more third parties to go until we're "balanced." Not to mention one of those characters was literally just a first party character owned by another company in Banjo & Kazooie.
Ok see that's great however this is a Nintendo crossover first and foremost and while yes the entire roster is predominantly Nintendo the DLC is not. So while yes I'll count Banjo as Nintendo that's still a 1:3 split and very likely to be 4. Throw in first parties.

OffBi

Smash Ace
So here's what I think what's happening here.
I think that the mii costume leak is real, but the only reason why insiders think that it's fake is only because it doesn't make sense for them to drop for the 5th fighter, assuming that it isn't doomguy. So probably doomguy and Geno are additional characters in the dlc down the line after the pass.
Don't know why you all think that it blows doomguy's chances but ok

D

Deleted member

I'll stick around for a bit. Good to be around With Pokemon Sw/Sh release next week and the game awards a couple of weeks later. I'm still excited if character #5 is Lloyd Irving but if it's Dante or a someone else that would be just as sweet.

Still have hope for Geno. Despite the news his inclusion still has a good chance. I still believe he can be for sure.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Maybe they will also announce the first post DLC character at TGA alongside character 5 and the post character could be Geno. Hey, it is nice to hope. :p

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
How the hell did we reach 1700 pages already? How soon are we gonna breach 2000? What's the record-holding thread on the site?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
- Llyod or a Bamco rep
- Dante or a Capcom rep
- Reimu
- Indie rep
- Sleeper pick

I’m still sticking to my theory that every single rep in the pass will be used to represent a new company, with Joker and Hero counting for Atlus and Enix respectively. I also tend to think that the pass will trend towards older, long-standing franchises(after the “ascended second-party” that is Bayo, Banjo’s legitimately the most recent playable third-party franchise).

Now, under those conditions, a lot of the best choices have sadly been... deconfirmed by insiders, apparently. Ryu, Crash, Scorpion, and now apparently Doomguy are all apparently out. Rayman, another frontrunner from that era, is as well(specifically for #5) due to Spirits. So, who does that leave?

Even though we did certainly just get Banjo in this pass, Master Chief still makes the most sense to me to properly represent Microsoft, since Banjo, as incredible of a character as he is, doesn’t really fill that role. As well, we still have that Ori/MCC leak from earlier in the year that appears half-true as of September, yet there has been absolutely no sign of the particular other half, which would make an insane TGA reveal. However, while I don’t necessarily think that one would prevent the other from ever happening since they would have two incredibly different playstyles, Chief as #5 would be the final nail in the coffin for the video leak’s Slayer, as there’s no way they’d be developed so close together.

Bandai-Namco’s a huge name in the leak scene right now, but I just can’t personally see a Namco rep being #5, with how the rest have been from new companies and all. ...However, that doesn’t count out Bandai! I could see Agumon being a pretty huge announcement, as it makes Smash an official example of (a) Digimon fighting Pokemon, which would be a pretty insane sight for those that grew up with both.

Reimu, in my opinion... actually has somewhat of a chance, and there’s still that tracklist leak from a while back. However, I personally doubt her as #5, especially with how Sakurai mentioned how special getting so many SNK songs was.

When it comes to iconic retro Playstation characters... sadly, the two best options are currently owned by a company that apparently is completely deconfirmed for #5 according to multiple insiders. So if they want a PS rep, they’d have to go a generation up with Ratchet, who would actually be a pretty great choice.

And for my final spot on this list, while I personally am not exactly a fan of this company for various reasons, I still have to mention a Valve rep as a legitimate possibility, in my opinion Pyro. Heavy’s more outright iconic, but in my opinion has considerably less moveset potential, especially in regards to recovery.

TL;DR version: I think that the character is going to be from an older franchise from a company with zero representation in Smash so far. My picks, not counting characters apparently deconfirmed by insiders, are Chief(counting Rare separately), Agumon(counting Namco separately), Reimu, Ratchet, and Pyro.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You know you guys forgot something

Heihachi costume missing.

Patricually the fighter pass that would easily have him with street fighter style pack

So maybe it’s him who’s pack 5.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Strictly a personal choice, but I’d like to see Lloyd as #5. Bandco indeed “deserves” another rep since they are so involved with Smash. Plus Tales of Series is popular and has legacy since it has its roots with Nintendo. Plus heihachi costume would go with him.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So first, Sabi is like, "Well, it could be real, could be fake, I dunno," then he's like, "Nah, it's 99% fake," and THEN he's like, "Well, it could be real, could be fake, I dunno," once again.

Sure, we know DLC5 isn't Doom Marine or Geno at least, but this miscommunication and wishy-washy behavior is why people have trouble believing him. It's frankly getting frustrating. At least Papa spoke with actual clarity and nailed the information we needed to know on the head in no uncertain terms.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
My hunch from a long time ago was that Lloyd was number 5, followed by Ryu and Geno. Now it seems very likely to me that we get Lloyd, Doomguy, and Geno in that order. My gut tells me this thing is still real honestly.

These costumes may be made or planned well in advance. Papa is still confident in the original mii costume list. I had a theory that there might be a handful of teams at the studio, each working on one dlc charcter and then moving on after its completed. This might explain how we had Hero, Banjo, and Terry very close to each other. Im not sure how Joker fits in with this tbh so its not the strongest theory.

What if team 1 (Hero) is now working on fighter 5, team 2 (Banjo) is working on Geno, and team 3 (Terry) is working on doomguy.

We knew far more about Hero prerelease, and the insiders already know #5 at this point. Their best sources might be in the first group.

Banjo only had rumors up to a few days before, and Geno is essentially in rumor limbo, so we could have less or weaker sources in team #2.

For Terry, nobody really knew until Nintendo themselves leaked him, and none of the insiders have considered Doomguy before.
They might not have any sources within this third group.

This is purely just my thoughts on this. There could only be the one team working together on everything for all I knew, but this division makes sense to me

OffBi

Smash Ace
So first, Sabi is like, "Well, it could be real, could be fake, I dunno," then he's like, "Nah, it's 99% fake," and THEN he's like, "Well, it could be real, could be fake, I dunno," once again.

Sure, we know DLC5 isn't Doom Marine or Geno at least, but this miscommunication and wishy-washy behavior is why people have trouble believing him. It's frankly getting frustrating. At least Papa spoke with actual clarity and nailed the information we needed to know on the head in no uncertain terms.
Don't forget the fact that he never says who the 5th fighter is.
Cmon Sabi, you're a leaker, ACT LIKE IT AND SAY WHO IS IT

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Don't forget the fact that he never says who the 5th fighter is.
Cmon Sabi, you're a leaker, ACT LIKE IT AND SAY WHO IS IT
Gotta play Devil's Advocate on this one, honestly. I have my beef with Sabi's communication issues, but he apparently doesn't know who the 5th fighter is. His source does, but he doesn't.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Gotta play Devil's Advocate on this one, honestly. I have my beef with Sabi's communication issues, but he apparently doesn't know who the 5th fighter is. His source does, but he doesn't.
Are you actually serious?!
What if their source doesn't know who it is and is just pretending to know?

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
my guess is that when we have an actual Nintendo direct, leakers know more on what’s going to be released. But when Sakurai does a direct, it seems harder for leakers to know what is happening.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I just started rewatching Smash King from the beginning, and the first thing popping up in my mind while watching it was Geno. Bowser, Peach, and Mario are the main characters of the cast, so if Geno get's in Ultimate which I'm sure he will, Tigura will have to put him in the story. Seeing how deep of a connection Geno has to those three in SMRPG, Geno's role in Smash King will have to be a big one without a doubt.

So, a lot of people ask me about my confidence in Geno and one aspect I don't think I've talked about concerning the "list" is the nature of it. If you want to ignore the rest of this post, here's the takeaway: more people would be upset with the names not on it than that are and Ryu is the most "controversial" one if that tells you anything. It's pretty fanservicey and I think that's the entire point of the post-pass characters. The Fighter's Pass had mostly been about Sakurai's choices and celebrating video game history while most of the hypothetical post Fighter Pass characters are the equivalent of drunk online shopping at 3 in the morning with a credit card.
Sounds like we might actually get a true WTF rep for this game after all lol! And no, I don't count Piranha Plant as the WTF rep because he is a Mario enemy that's quite iconic so he isn't obscure by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom