• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Ehh, if we are counting stuff that is not Geno, I think that would go to the pie discussion.
I'm just making a joke about our infamous reputation. We are the "second general thread" after all.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm just making a joke about our infamous reputation. We are the "second general speculation thread" after all.
True, though I think that is more on account of us being a source of leaks and insider info from time to time.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
What a wild ride this has been. Gotta say, I'm on team real. These seem really convincing. Sakurai has talked about both Geno and Doom in such high regards. And I really want a Geno amiibo.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
True, though I think that is more on account of us being a source of leaks and insider info from time to time.
I'm aware that's why it's funny. If you were to crank out the numbers we've probably complained more about pokemon and plant then we've discussed SMRPG this year : )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With people from the modding community coming out trying to disprove the leak as an amateur job, what I'd love to see confirmed is whether or not there's actually a 2mb limit on the costume pieces. That seems to be the clincher here. Very specifically, I'd like to know if that's total, for the mesh and the texture, or if it only counts the mesh.

I was on mobile earlier when joking about the cube thing, but the ease of the cube does prove a point. If you're not familiar with how games translate models, typically modeling programs present objects as having rectangular faces, but video games read them in as triangles, so while a cube is simplistic and has 6 faces to us, to a game, it has 12 tris, which is size and processor. So, Mallow hat, for instance - the details seem to be too pronounced for a lot of it to just be normal mapping to provide depth, so a lot of that is likely a real mesh, and for it to have such smooth curves, they would have had to subdivide a cube several times to get nice smooth rounded edges, which even one subdivision (turning one cube into 4 faces per face) ends up making 8 tris per face (times 6 faces = 48 tris), so it compounds very quickly. I'm not an expert but I'd say that Mallow has several hundred triangles in just one of his puffy... puffs. That's pretty sizeable.

Then we have to consider the texture. I have no idea how big a texture is for an average mii costume, but they can get out of hand really quickly.

Obviously I'm not active in the modding community, but I guess it's possible that they could have somehow cracked the compression formula after all this time, but it seems like the first move a normal, sane individual would make is just announce that they made mii costume modding possible and not "leak" it to /v/ for no other reason than to stir up ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm aware that's why it's funny. If you were to crank out the numbers we've probably complained more about pokemon and plant more then we've discussed SMRPG this year.
From what I've seen from the cut Pokedex, we've had more Geno leaks then Pokemon that are in Sword and Shield.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Someone is saying that Seanhicksart is behind this.
I personally don't believe this

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Curious what Sabi will say tomorrow about it. At first I was watching the timer again and thought it was painted/scrubbed on because the area around the numbers were not "clean," AKA did not match the background. But I've been watching some regular videos to specifically watch the timer text and that is normal.

Aye this is more intense than the time I forgot how to sit down!

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
If these people know whodunnit, why don't they just post images of the models in Blender or something? That's what that one guy did with his Geno model.
This is pretty much where I stand on the matter. If someone want to call this leak out then they need to put their money where their mouth is and show us the models. Also how they got it run despite the issues other modders have explained and how they stopped the timer from running.Frankly I don't think this is going to happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

300+ people in here currently holy **** is that a lot.

Anyways I'm on #teamfake currently as I don't want to get my hopes up as the last time I got my hopes up for a leak it ended horribly (Grinch leak) but god would I love for this to be true. If it is true I can only see one of these two situations regarding our boy: A) He's in with the Mallow and Smithy mii costumes (more likely outcome imo) or B) His Mii Costume returns but is upgraded, comes with music and a Mallow Mii Costume tags along with music as well.

Either way we'll end up getting more SMRPG content if this leak is true and that's always a good thing. I'm not getting my hopes up for it to be true and for it to lead towards Geno being in though.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I know the more faces/polygons/stuff a game has to load in/render, the more impact it gets on performance, depending on its rendering engine and I guess coding language (leaving certain games like Minecraft to get very laggy if you change the world into spheres or pyramids/spikes or whatever, or spawn a ridiculous amount of more-detailed entities or make a huge amount of TNT explode at once and you're near it).

I would think it's the same for adding to file size.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With people from the modding community coming out trying to disprove the leak as an amateur job, what I'd love to see confirmed is whether or not there's actually a 2mb limit on the costume pieces. That seems to be the clincher here. Very specifically, I'd like to know if that's total, for the mesh and the texture, or if it only counts the mesh.

I was on mobile earlier when joking about the cube thing, but the ease of the cube does prove a point. If you're not familiar with how games translate models, typically modeling programs present objects as having rectangular faces, but video games read them in as triangles, so while a cube is simplistic and has 6 faces to us, to a game, it has 12 tris, which is size and processor. So, Mallow hat, for instance - the details seem to be too pronounced for a lot of it to just be normal mapping to provide depth, so a lot of that is likely a real mesh, and for it to have such smooth curves, they would have had to subdivide a cube several times to get nice smooth rounded edges, which even one subdivision (turning one cube into 4 faces per face) ends up making 8 tris per face (times 6 faces = 48 tris), so it compounds very quickly. I'm not an expert but I'd say that Mallow has several hundred triangles in just one of his puffy... puffs. That's pretty sizeable.

Then we have to consider the texture. I have no idea how big a texture is for an average mii costume, but they can get out of hand really quickly.

Obviously I'm not active in the modding community, but I guess it's possible that they could have somehow cracked the compression formula after all this time, but it seems like the first move a normal, sane individual would make is just announce that they made mii costume modding possible and not "leak" it to /v/ for no other reason than to stir up ****.
just to keep myself honest here: reading comprehension.

The post from wildvine47 mentions 2mb as an example, not that there's a 2mb limit. But you would have to find a mii hat of equal or greater size than what you're replacing it with.

Still, I agree with the general sentiment in here that if there's people who know who did it, then just fess up and put the models out there where we can all see them.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Man this leak has been on my brain all day. I think it’s real and I’m happy to take the L if I’m wrong. It’s an incredibly good « fake » if it is one.

I’m getting pretty bored of the hype police lecturing anyone remotely excited about this. How am I gonna be disappointed for more than 10 minutes over another fake leak when we already have Ridley, K Rool and ****ing Banjo in one game (oh and Sans). What’s the point in this thread if the tone has to be continuously pessimistic. If you are prone to lashing out over a video game character, get help.

Seeing a 3D Mallow model is beautiful, the next direct can’t come soon enough. I’m struggling to imagine a Smithy costume due to proportions, so if that’s true I reckon it’ll just be a hat costume like Mallow. Axem Rangers sword fighter could perhaps fit better as a full body costume? Who knows, what an exciting leak.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man this leak has been on my brain all day. I think it’s real and I’m happy to take the L if I’m wrong. It’s an incredibly good « fake » if it is one.

I’m getting pretty bored of the hype police lecturing anyone remotely excited about this. How am I gonna be disappointed for more than 10 minutes over another fake leak when we already have Ridley, K Rool and ****ing Banjo in one game (oh and Sans). What’s the point in this thread if the tone has to be continuously pessimistic. If you are prone to lashing out over a video game character, get help.

Seeing a 3D Mallow model is beautiful, the next direct can’t come soon enough. I’m struggling to imagine a Smithy costume due to proportions, so if that’s true I reckon it’ll just be a hat costume like Mallow. Axem Rangers sword fighter could perhaps fit better as a full body costume? Who knows, what an exciting leak.
Wait, there is going to be another Direct soon?

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Great thing is, when you are so used to things being fake you start to not feel anything. :)
Yeah honestly, I've been bummed out by leaks being fake before, I'm not going to be too upset if this is fake. There's still plenty of other things looking good for Geno regardless

MisterMike

Smash Champion
This is pretty much where I stand on the matter. If someone wants to call this leak out then they need to put their money where their mouth is and show us the models.
They're claiming they know the people who've made them, which means they've seen it in action and would have definitive proof that they were faked, either in the form of in-progress images or video, and yet they haven't posted anything yet. I don't doubt that it could be faked, but if you know and have access to the evidence, you need to post that ASAP.

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
They're claiming they know the people who've made them, which means they've seen it in action and would have definitive proof that they were faked, either in the form of in-progress images or video, and yet they haven't posted anything yet. I don't doubt that it could be faked, but if you know and have access to the evidence, you need to post that ASAP.
Could be the people involved work full time and didn't expect the hype to blow up.

Flon

Smash Cadet
Turns out, my friend's brother's pet dog is the one behind these leaks. He's a big Super Mario RPG fan; a Culex killer by day and a modder by night.

This just in! It has been confirmed. I am the one confirming this. Myself.

I would post pictures, but I'm a bit of a Lazy Shell.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Only one thing is certain: I am at work and was wholly unprepared for the leaks we've been exposed to today.
This lines up with the convincing costume leak. I'm hyped!

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Someone is saying that Seanhicksart is behind this.
I personally don't believe this
I know Sean Hicks personally, albeit as more of an acquaintance than anything. He works with SSGuy, Slender, and I as a sponsor of Operation Starfall. It'd be very out of his character to do something like this to pull everyone's strings. I'm gonna call false on that claim.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Doomguy's trailer is him saving Geno's Spirit from the depths of hell and returning him to his body.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Basically we're at an impasse where it's either real or it's fake but the only way it can really be proven as fake is if someone comes forward and shows how they did it.
I feel like that usually doesn’t bode well. That’s basically where a lot of people were with the Grinch Leak if I remember correctly. If these are real I’d imagine showing them to a source would warrant a quick “;)” or “trash it”. Would seem odd for them to genuinely not know, unless they’re straight up not answering Sabi. I also understand that it is incredibly risky to make educated guesses in these situations based on what they may have heard because of what is at stake.

Regardless, I’m going to continue to believe until proven otherwise.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Didn’t she says that she wasn’t allowed to leak Nintendo **** anymore
Yes! Nintendo's lawyers gave her a C&D basically meaning she doesn't have any legal right to leak their stuff anymore without them suing her.

Maybe it was limited to the E3 stuff? I forget the exacts of the C&D.
It wasn't just the E3 stuff but anything Nintendo entirely. She isn't allowed to leak anything from Nintendo's games anymore publicly online without the Nintenjas going after her.

D

Deleted member

I feel like that usually doesn’t bode well. That’s basically where a lot of people were with the Grinch Leak if I remember correctly. If these are real I’d imagine showing them to a source would warrant a quick “;)” or “trash it”. Would seem odd for them to genuinely not know, unless they’re straight up not answering Sabi. I also understand that it is incredibly risky to make educated guesses in these situations based on what they may have heard because of what is at stake.

Regardless, I’m going to continue to believe until proven otherwise.
Fatman already made it sound like they were getting some ";)" but maybe I misunderstood. I've said it before, and hindsight is 20/20 and all, but back with the Grinch leak, prominent insiders were telling us it was fake almost from go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom