• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hmmm, I wonder who you could be referring to... real brain teaser there.

Also, as an aside, with all this talk of the Doom Slayer coming to Smash, I've been wondering, if you could choose between him or Master Chief, who would it be? (This doesn't have to be realistic, and I am NOT making the argument that the two characters are basically the same and all that argument entails...). Personally, while I see the argument for Master Chief (him being a HUGE icon of gaming that would shatter the internet upon his inclusion), I go with the Doom Slayer because of his history, his impact, his history with gaming/Nintendo as a whole, and, also, I feel like he is a more outlandish fit for Smash. I know that sounds weird due to his violent tendencies and all... but if you look into the newer games they've given him somewhat of a personality and have personified his mannerisms more to make him more over the top (I don't know if that makes sense). DOOM seems more outlandish than Halo (not as realistic, I guess) and I think that helps the character fit better in Smash (though yes I realize DOOM is still pretty mature).

I have have no history with Halo nor DOOM, I just think Doom Slayer would be better for the reasons I listed above (though I'd be totally good with Master Chief).
DOOM has done more for the FPS genre and the DOOM franchise is cool and all but Master Chief any day all day. I don't have much experience with the Halo franchise but the internet would absolutely implode upon itself and reaction videos would be flying left and right. The hype from Smash fans and the general online Video Game community would be on a whole new level.

It would be this game's version of the Sonic reveal practically a Sonic 2.0 in fact with how iconic the Halo franchise is and him being the face of Xbox/Microsoft as Banjo wasn't really associated with Microsoft despite it being owned by them he was more of a long-lost Nintendo icon. Just the sheer amount of hype from the internet as a whole would be unreal so definitely Master Chief.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
There’s a “leak” on GameFAQS saying Scorpion is the final Fighter’s Pass DLC character. Is this a fake like most others? Or is this the character we’ve actually been sleeping on?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There’s a “leak” on GameFAQS saying Scorpion is the final Fighter’s Pass DLC character. Is this a fake like most others? Or is this the character we’ve actually been sleeping on?
Obviously fake. Don't get your hopes up.

D

Deleted member

Something something Mortal Kombat too violent for Japan.

If she a text leak, she a fake.

D

Deleted member

He isn't "falling" for it? It's a legitimate question to have a little bit of discussion. Geno thread is Character Speculation General, you know.
And that's no fluke coz now I go here eveyday though i don't actually support Geno.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I'm not against a Mortal Kombat character (I don't think any character is necessarily "too violent" for Smash), but... isn't Mortal Kombat banned in Japan? Or most of the games? I personally don't think any character is too violent (Sakurai gimme Doom Slayer), but when Smash's home country bans a game/series for its violence... yeah, I really don't see a Mortal Kombat character happening. Again, it would be cool to see one, but I just can't see Sakurai and Nintendo going for that (especially when there are really popular legacy fighting games that originate in Japan that aren't in Smash yet, such as Tekken and Soul Calibur). Sure series like DOOM are violent too, but the series and/or games haven't been banned in Japan.

As an aside, I feel like people are sleeping on a Soul Calibur character. Yeah Bandai Namco has Tales of and Tekken, but Soul Calibur is a really popular fighting game series and Nintendo has already crossed over with the series before. I've never played Soul Calibur, but I'd honesty be quite happy with its inclusion in Smash if it meant getting another villain (Nightmare).

So, what do you all think about all of this?

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I'm not against a Mortal Kombat character (I don't think any character is necessarily "too violent" for Smash), but... isn't Mortal Kombat banned in Japan? Or most of the games? I personally don't think any character is too violent (Sakurai gimme Doom Slayer), but when Smash's home country bans a game/series for its violence... yeah, I really don't see a Mortal Kombat character happening. Again, it would be cool to see one, but I just can't see Sakurai and Nintendo going for that (especially when there are really popular legacy fighting games that originate in Japan that aren't in Smash yet, such as Tekken and Soul Calibur). Sure series like DOOM are violent too, but the series and/or games haven't been banned in Japan.

As an aside, I feel like people are sleeping on a Soul Calibur character. Yeah Bandai Namco has Tales of and Tekken, but Soul Calibur is a really popular fighting game series and Nintendo has already crossed over with the series before. I've never played Soul Calibur, but I'd honesty be quite happy with its inclusion in Smash if it meant getting another villain (Nightmare).

Considering Link has clashed with the many soulcalibur characters before and nightmare being in my top 10 most wanted characters, I would be all for it. I played so much Soul Calibur 2 for the gamecube back in the day and Soul Calibur Music would be dope to have in smash!

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So when I get geno I've been planning on running a team with Mario and Bowser. What characters do you all plan to play alongside geno or will you solo main him?

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So when I get geno I've been planning on running a team with Mario and Bowser. What characters do you all plan to play alongside geno or will you solo main him?
I will probably main Megaman still and have Geno as my secondary. I may switch them if I really click with Geno’s playstyle.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

I'm going to press X for doubt on a Mortal Kombat rep for Smash, let alone the fifth Fighters Pass character. Also I wouldn't take "leaks" from GameFAQs seriously unless it's from Vergeben, but even then he seems to piggyback on trusted insiders.

Back on the topic of Geno, here's a pretty nice remix I've found on "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" that was made a couple years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9kOcyBYNi8

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Unless it's a user with enough history behind them to make them reliable, like Vergeben, random text leaks on GameFAQs are about as reliable as random text leaks on 4chan. I have a GameFAQs account; I could easily make a post claiming that Lara Croft is the fifth Fighters Pass character, but that doesn't make it accurate, reliable, or true.

D

Deleted member

Unless it's a user with enough history behind them to make them reliable, like Vergeben, random text leaks on GameFAQs are about as reliable as random text leaks on 4chan. I have a GameFAQs account; I could easily make a post claiming that Lara Croft is the fifth Fighters Pass character, but that doesn't make it accurate, reliable, or true.
It's easy to say anything on the internet basically.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I will probably main Megaman still and have Geno as my secondary. I may switch them if I really click with Geno’s playstyle.
Yeah I main mega man right now as well but I'm concerned the two will feel redundant if sakurai makes him another zoner. Hopefully it'll be more like xp but otherwise I doubt I'll be able to use more than one at a time.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I think a general rule of thumb here is to treat any text leak as fake unless it has some serious corroborating evidence to back it up. I could go on gamefaqs right now and post "Juno and Vela are totally in, guise" and it would be no more valid than any other text leak on that site

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I don’t normally entertain these but is this real? Is there any way to verify this?

- half the people in this thread lately
Brother, ain't that the truth. It's been fun watching on the sidelines, but for 10+ pages or so worth? It got kind of maddening.

Sidenote: I am a bonafide leaker. Geno is the final fighter, but it is his real self....Just the star spirit. No doll form. Give me likes.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Fake. Do you really think that Sakurai is going to put two fighting game characters and one that happen to be a western developed character?
Plus any leak that's on GameFAQS should be treated as fake.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah I main mega man right now as well but I'm concerned the two will feel redundant if sakurai makes him another zoner. Hopefully it'll be more like xp but otherwise I doubt I'll be able to use more than one at a time.
Eh I mean while aesthetically they have been feeling redundant we have a bunch of swordies and a good number of them are unique so I don’t think Geno and Megaman will overlap too terribly even if they have similar playstyles.

D

Deleted member

I'm really hoping he isn't a zoner so that he'll complement my continuing to play Lucas. One of the biggest problems I have is with characters who can outcamp or effectively break Lucas' zone and I really want a character who can:
- break a zone
- pack a punch
- I actually like them

Mother 3 has an extremely special place in my heart and I've played Lucas since Brawl, so even for Geno, I won't just outright drop him. Given how Geno works in Mario RPG, I don't see him being a zoner since he's kind of more like a magical rogue than a typical mage, so I'm really hoping to have two equally powerful characters in two completely opposite play styles.

I will say that, as a former Mega Man main, I can't see Geno and Mega Man being similar at all. That feels like a joke that has been taken too far.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Anyway, I saw a post from a site that claimed that Lara Croft is the fifth Fighters Pass character. It sounds accurate, reliable, and true.

D

Deleted member

I saw a leak on GameFAQs claiming a half eaten grilled cheese sandwich is the 5th Fighter Pass character. It's totally 100% legit guys! :ultpacman:

D

Deleted member

I saw a leak on GameFAQs claiming a half eaten grilled cheese sandwich is the 5th Fighter Pass character. It's totally 100% legit guys! :ultpacman:
Did half eaten grilled cheese originate from a video game? I know Tofu did but it's easy to get confused when stuff makes it into different forms of media at or around the same time as it debuted in a video game.

D

Deleted member

Did half eaten grilled cheese originate from a video game? I know Tofu did but it's easy to get confused when stuff makes it into different forms of media at or around the same time as it debuted in a video game.
Yes it did originally come from a video game. It came from the critically acclaimed title "Half Eaten Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Adventures on Polar Bear Island" for the PS1.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I saw a post on a local bus stop with a smash advertisement on one side and a joker movie advertisement on the opposite side. That means actual joker is coming to smash guys get hype

Firox

Smash Master
I'm really hoping he isn't a zoner so that he'll complement my continuing to play Lucas. One of the biggest problems I have is with characters who can outcamp or effectively break Lucas' zone and I really want a character who can:
- break a zone
- pack a punch
- I actually like them

Mother 3 has an extremely special place in my heart and I've played Lucas since Brawl, so even for Geno, I won't just outright drop him. Given how Geno works in Mario RPG, I don't see him being a zoner since he's kind of more like a magical rogue than a typical mage, so I'm really hoping to have two equally powerful characters in two completely opposite play styles.

I will say that, as a former Mega Man main, I can't see Geno and Mega Man being similar at all. That feels like a joke that has been taken too far.
I main Greninja and Wolf, both of which are great at breaking zones. My secondaries are Cloud, Dark Pit, Ridley and Mewtwo and my other solid fighters include Fox, Mario, Lucina and Bowser, so I feel like I've got my bases covered as far as touching all the playstyle archetypes. In all honesty, I'm not sure how or if Geno would cover any of my "weak spots" so it would really come down to whether I click with him or not. I'm definitely going to add him to my pool of characters, but nobody would be able to replace my mains unless they have:

A) Great neutral game
B) Solid combos
C) At least one solid kill confirm
D) Isn't too campy (I just find campers suuuper boring, even if I'm winning)
E) Excellent recovery

I could see Geno doing well in most of these categories, however I feel there is a good chance that he ends up as either a camper or having meh recovery which would probably be the only things holding him back competitively. I guess only time will tell...

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how to tell you this, but, you guys -- I was prowling GameFAQs earlier, and I came across a post that cited a 4chan leak of an insider source from some guy who got fired from Nintendo and Retro Studios at the same time which stated that I was going to be DLC #5!

That's right! GenoToto, stepping up to the plate! Or, as the undeniably true CGI cutscene will eventually say, GenoToto Barks up a Storm!

This is the best game ever. :ultduckhunt:

D

Deleted member

I could see Geno doing well in most of these categories, however I feel there is a good chance that he ends up as either a camper or having meh recovery which would probably be the only things holding him back competitively. I guess only time will tell...
I just can't see why people think he'd be campy. We can assume that neutral B is Geno Beam and is a charge move, but Sheik and Mewtwo have a charge neutral B and aren't expected to be campy. I guess a majority of his normals would be "projectiles", but whether they're true projectiles or not, they're just disjoints at the end of the day, which is a sword gimmick and no one camps with a sword.

Sakurai's been really true to the home game of a lot of our newcomers since Smash 4, and I just can't see him looking at Geno, who has the highest natural speed in the game, low defense and huge attack/magic attack and saying "time to make this guy a zoner". Disjoints with a potential kill move charge B, huge speed and lightweight say to me rushdown character.

Firox

Smash Master
Sonic the Hedgehog movie-inspired Geno is coming to Smash

How's that for a fat ****ing monkey's paw
Please not the Sonic the Hedgehog movie-version of Geno. They're going to render him him so ugly it'll haunt my nightmares. I'm already imagining a cross between Chuckie and Pinocchio being voiced by Adam Sandler.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I dunno what you guys are thinking, but geno has zoner written all over him. Geno beam? Great ground denial, geno whirl? Classic zoning move with a nice kick at the end. Geno blast? Good for air control, and even a potential spike. I envision him as being more similar to young link with his specials made for controlling the board, and his smashes being good for close up.

Firox

Smash Master
I just can't see why people think he'd be campy. We can assume that neutral B is Geno Beam and is a charge move, but Sheik and Mewtwo have a charge neutral B and aren't expected to be campy. I guess a majority of his normals would be "projectiles", but whether they're true projectiles or not, they're just disjoints at the end of the day, which is a sword gimmick and no one camps with a sword.

Sakurai's been really true to the home game of a lot of our newcomers since Smash 4, and I just can't see him looking at Geno, who has the highest natural speed in the game, low defense and huge attack/magic attack and saying "time to make this guy a zoner". Disjoints with a potential kill move charge B, huge speed and lightweight say to me rushdown character.
If Geno ends up as a disjointed rushdown character then I'd wet myself with joy. Then again, you have to understand that if he ends up with too many "projectile" disjoints or projectiles in general, then he would likely play more like Megaman or Mii Gunner, hence more campy than not. I'm not saying he HAS to be like that. I'm just saying that it's a possibility. We don't know what direction, if any, Sakurai will take.

PS As a Mewtwo player, I would say that he's way more campy than Sheik. His playstyle is mostly defensive to begin with, using Shadow ball to apply psychological pressure while Sheik is definitely more of a rushdown.

D

Deleted member

PS As a Mewtwo player, I would say that he's way more campy than Sheik. His playstyle is mostly defensive to begin with, using Shadow ball to apply psychological pressure while Sheik is definitely more of a rushdown.
Weird, I feel like Lucas loses the Mewtwo matchup because I'm getting pressured constantly - and not psychologically. He hits like a freight train and doesn't die anywhere near as early as advertised.

Honestly I'd be thrilled if Geno was like Mewtwo. There's a lot I don't like about Mewtwo but there's a lot of his kit I envy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom