• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
[screaming]

Nintendo and Square alike probably didn't give a hot damn about whether or not Hero had a "negative association" with his inclusion based on Mii costumes or anything. They didn't show a single one of them off when they announced him, anyway. Any negative association he could have POSSIBLY had was gonna die down between E3 and the Hero presentation. Westerners were already gonna scratch their head, and I've already said they probably weren't too worried about upsetting Geno fans or whatever, really, think about it, we've been being upset for how long, now? If it hasn't killed us yet and we still bought the game, what then? Talk about a closed minded view...

One of the only realistic possibilities for why Chocobo and Geno didn't come back when Hero released is that Square has something else coming. If it isn't Geno, that's how it is, but something else. The only other realistic possibility imo is that they just said "screw it" and we're getting neither, and then... we're in the same boat.
Okay, so I guess SEGA going to have something else seeing how the two Virtua Fighter Mii Costume are missing.

But here's the thing with my idea of Geno being missing to remove negative connotation with Hero. If people think that Hero killed Geno's chances in getting into Smash Bros those fans might not be interested in getting into Dragon Quest. Regardless of whether or not they didn't want to include Geno's costume that reason or not it is entirely possible that Square Enix made an agreement to only have Dragon Quest content shown during that video for promotional reason. Looking through the video they only used Hero while Banjo had him fighting Mario, DK, and Diddy Kong. I don't think it that hard to believe that Square Enix would want that video and any extra content to be related to Dragon Quest as much as possible.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
fatman said they knew all about starling now, psycho said that wasn't true and they didn't know anything yet. Fatman hasn't been on since to say anything more so I highly doubt it will ever continue beyond that publicly so the starling as a hint is largely unhelpful right now and personally I think its already over.
Hate to be this guy, but I cannot find where that was said...I have been searching because I remember that as well.

QQS

Smash Lord
Can anyone plz put me up to date? What’s the new leak/info we have about Geno?

Thanks!

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Alright found the strings of confusion about Starling. Nothing to see here! No one knows what it means, but the flip flop is concerning...oh well.

EDIT: QQS QQS PapaG uploaded a video about a potential lead to who fighter 5 is going to be. Leaker says Crash. Same guy told papa about some Mii Costumes around July 29 this year. Protoman, Zero, Goemon and Rocket Grunt we're among those listed as well as Mallow/Smithy and Chocobo Hat.

This guy has been keeping in touch with papa since they back him with Banjo in November (at least, that is what we are to understand). So its weird to see those costumes listed and no Geno...hype?

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Everything about the fighter pass makes sense.

Slot 1, 3, and 5 are the most important to strike hard.

They would NOT, save Geno for DLC wave 2. This is the prime time to sell all 5. Each strong pick sells the rest of them as well and this first wave is guaranteed to be more profitable than the next.

If not Geno, it’ll be another major- not a split off fandom like Terry or even DQ. I feel Geno coming but this is my last hope. If he’s not the wave 1 showstopper, I will finally end this emotional dreamcoaster and not worry about wave 2 at all.

Sakurai knows what the Ultimate title is, and he’s already broken through so much glass for Banjo etc. and given fans all their hopes with Krool Ridley and more.

Sakurai is listening- and we sang pretty loud for the star hero. Gotta be him!

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
PapaGenos's source is currently the most credible leak floating around. Shifty has a subpar track record, and Brew doesn't even have a track record. Leaking info from a direct like a day in advance does not in any way suggest a person has long-term private information. Not to mention from what I heard he was allegedly pushing Petey Piranha a few months in advance, meaning his post may well have been in reference to wanting Petey Piranha and not an actual Piranha Plant?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, so I guess SEGA going to have something else seeing how the two Virtua Fighter Mii Costume are missing.
Akira's been upgraded to Assist Trophy, maybe Sega would rather not have Jackie back? Maybe they do have something else planned? Maybe Jackie will show up with Terry.

But here's the thing with my idea of Geno being missing to remove negative connotation with Hero. If people think that Hero killed Geno's chances in getting into Smash Bros those fans might not be interested in getting into Dragon Quest. Regardless of whether or not they didn't want to include Geno's costume that reason or not it is entirely possible that Square Enix made an agreement to only have Dragon Quest content shown during that video for promotional reason. Looking through the video they only used Hero while Banjo had him fighting Mario, DK, and Diddy Kong. I don't think it that hard to believe that Square Enix would want that video and any extra content to be related to Dragon Quest as much as possible.
Look, I think in terms of militant Geno fan, I'm probably outclassed by SSGuy and that's it. I didn't like hearing that Erdrick was a possibility, I didn't like how it was looking like it was more than just a rumor, and I hated seeing him in the Direct at E3. Still, even I had to realize shortly after Hero was announced that he didn't hurt Geno's chances, and that I shouldn't hate Dragon Quest because a character I wasn't looking forward to got into Smash. I bought Dragon Quest XI S because I want Square to realize that advertising through Smash is profitable and their partnership with Nintendo is meaningful like it was long ago. There's no way that a bunch of corporate big wigs had some plot to make sure Dragon Quest hit as inoffensively as possible... to put it as kindly as possible, that's silly.

As for why Sakurai used all Hero during the presentation, why wouldn't he? There's 4 different characters to show off, and the character interacts with himself nicely to show off things like Metal Slash, the passive shield blocking, and Hocus Pocus' different effects. Dragon Quest is an unfathomably big deal to Japan, so really, the whole thing was probably a combination of fanservice and Sakurai taking full advantage of the fact that after all this time, he could proudly display two or more different Yuusha beating each other senseless.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Didn't someone say earlier that the blurred out spot on this pic was maybe Geno? Because that is very clearly the spot where the person's discord username goes.
Uh... yeah, that is. I'm looking literally pixel-deep here and I see nothing that would indicate anything else was blurred out. Don't know where that's coming from.

D

Deleted member

Everything about the fighter pass makes sense.

Slot 1, 3, and 5 are the most important to strike hard.
Strike hard for who? The speculation community? The "fans"? Because the only one that did that is 3. Every character has struck "hard" in a different way.

They would NOT, save Geno for DLC wave 2. This is the prime time to sell all 5. Each strong pick sells the rest of them as well and this first wave is guaranteed to be more profitable than the next.
Why not? They've failed to put him in the game in any meaningful way for ten years since Sakurai admits to originally wanting him, and threw us one of the most ragged bones ever in the form of that Mii Costume, if they have any intention of putting him in, making us wait isn't outside of the realm of possibility. If the first wave is guaranteed to be more profitable than the first, I'd think the second is where they'd go ahead and do all the safe-bet fan picks, to maximize the profitability?

If not Geno, it’ll be another major- not a split off fandom like Terry or even DQ. I feel Geno coming but this is my last hope. If he’s not the wave 1 showstopper, I will finally end this emotional dreamcoaster and not worry about wave 2 at all.
I've believed that Geno is a Fighter Pass 1 possibility and will all the way up until the bitter end, but even if he isn't, I'm not giving up hope until Sakurai tells us that's it for the DLC and gives us a final wave. Until then, there's a possibility and that's all I can ask for.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Wait, what is the latest leak we have on Geno again?
There's the Brew leak who states Ryu Hayabusa is coming and has heard Geno. This leaker predicted Piranha Plant in the past which does seem interesting however that's the only thing we have to base of in terms of credibility

But on the other side, there's the more interesting (and in my eyes more credible) leak. Essentially, a source PapaGenos has been in contact with (who has a pretty solid track record calling multiple things), has shared a Mii Costume list that's been floating around since July. The list included every Mii Costume revealed with Banjo (with the exception of Sans) plus Mallow, Smithy, and Chocobo costumes. Which implies that Geno might be a fighter

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There's the Brew leak who states Ryu Hayabusa is coming and has heard Geno. This leaker predicted Piranha Plant in the past which does seem interesting however that's the only thing we have to base of in terms of credibility

But on the other side, there's the more interesting (and in my eyes more credible) leak. Essentially, a source PapaGenos has been in contact with (who has a pretty solid track record calling multiple things), has shared a Mii Costume list that's been floating around since July. The list included every Mii Costume revealed with Banjo (with the exception of Sans) plus Mallow, Smithy, and Chocobo costumes. Which implies that Geno might be a fighter
The second leaker said something about Crash being playable, right?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yep, the last fighter in the pass.
I see.

I do believe both Crash and Ryu could happen, even though only one can be the fifth fighter in the pass. One would have to come after the other. If that were the case, I think it would be awesome to see both in Smash.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So now apparently on Papa’s discord he says that he has “good reason” to believe Hayabusa is #5 and Crash is coming later on...

Idk what to ****ing believe anymore

D

Deleted member

Don't see a timeline where we get a Mallow and Smithy costume but Geno isn't playable

He's in fellas
can you imagine? Square being like "man those Geno people are gross, let's put Mallow and Smithy in and just ignore Geno forever"

holy cow I'd feel personally assaulted.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I’m not saying that’s what I think is going on guys, chill, I’m just saying that I thought it was weird that he learned these 2 things at the same time.

Can anyone plz put me up to date? What’s the new leak/info we have about Geno?

Thanks!
Crash got leaked along with SMRPG costumes and it’s a credible peaked, also some papagenos stuff

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I’m sorry for thinking on the negative guys, it’s just that the Grinch and Rayman “Leaks” really damaged my faith in anything leaks
Its cool man at least you were nowhere near as negative as wynn.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So now apparently on Papa’s discord he says that he has “good reason” to believe Hayabusa is #5 and Crash is coming later on...

Idk what to ****ing believe anymore
I'm liking the sound of that. After playing and cheating my way through Ninja Gaiden on NES I'm convince that Ryu Hayabusa should be the fifth fighter now.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Apparently some noa guy on Sabi server said no Crash
I'm not totally sure what to believe at this point. The NOA guy is the one who told Sabi about Geno ages ago (I'm surprised Sabi is explicitly stating what he does because until now that was kept on the DL other than in more insular circles) and that guy most definitely has an in on Nintendo information. On the otherhand the guy who leaked Crash also has proven legit sources as well. The only thing I can think is that the NOA guy is saying no Crash for the 5th DLC and that it is Hyabusa with Crash coming later which would still line up with what the anonymous guy said. Even if Crash isn't 5 the mii costume list is still legit as that came months before he highlighted Crash as FP5 so in terms of Geno I don't think this really hurts anything either way.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I’m just tired of swapping back and forth “oh, this character will be DLC 5” “oh wait no, THIS character will be DLC 5” “oh wait, no that other character will be DLC 5”

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
View attachment 242731
Apparently some noa guy on Sabi server said no Crash
You know, I think there's one thing that really goes against Crash's chances of getting into Smash Bros and that's Activision. Activision is, as we all know, an extremely greedy company that holds the rights to Crash. They know how to nickle & dime everything, just look at Crash Team Racing for a good example. I remember that when the PSABR were asked why Crash wasn't in that game they said "it takes two to tango." I believe that Activision would ask for a really high price from Nintendo for Crash inclusion, so much so that I think it would be difficult for them to work with (especially since Sakurai doesn't like to negotiate with western developers). It's hard to believe that Activision would be reasonable when they have a history of being too greedy.

I'm not totally sure what to believe at this point. The NOA guy is the one who told Sabi about Geno ages ago (I'm surprised Sabi is explicitly stating what he does because until now that was kept on the DL other than in more insular circles) and that guy most definitely has an in on Nintendo information. On the otherhand the guy who leaked Crash also has proven legit sources as well. The only thing I can think is that the NOA guy is saying no Crash for the 5th DLC and that it is Hyabusa with Crash coming later which would still line up with what the anonymous guy said. Even if Crash isn't 5 the mii costume list is still legit as that came months before he highlighted Crash as FP5 so in terms of Geno I don't think this really hurts anything either way.
It's always possible that a leaker could've gotten legit info and false info from time to time. Like how Verge got a lot of things right about Smash Bros but wrong about Minecraft content. Just because a leaker was right once doesn't mean they're right all the time, there's a lot of stuff that goes into this.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How credible is this guy?

Either way, I am sure I would believe someone from Nintendo of Japan rather than Nintendo of America, since Nintendo is based in Japan and...other reasons.

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, remember a part of some Papa Genos' video were he talked about how Banjo steal pancakes at the end of his reveal, and how "pancakes" were Crash's first words? That might be nothing, but who knows.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
How credible is this guy?

Either way, I am sure I would believe someone from Nintendo of Japan rather than Nintendo of America, since Nintendo is based in Japan and...other reasons.
From his track record and form what papa has said about him he seems pretty credible for the most part.

He leaked banjo last October as well as saying luminary would be the dq rep instead of Erdick. He also has backed vr plant a few times and we all know the how credible vr plant is. And of course he got the miis right. So I think this guy can still be right and crash could get in after 5. But like datboi said even if crash is not happening this does not effect the list at all because it was leaked back in july

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom