• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It's important to remember that Geno is the name of the doll, and not of the entity which possesses it (who's name is ♥♪!?).
That's a little hard to pronounce...

I agree with you that Geno fits what has become sort of the story of Super Smash Bros. Really, from the 11/1 direct, I never felt like spirits were some kind of implicit deconfirmation, since Sakurai stated they were characters who couldn't return to their body - obviously because their body just isn't around.

A theory I came up with the other day is that the current fighters pass characters are those that were somehow missed when Galeem vaporized the universe, maybe through Kirby-tier shenanigans. Hero's reveal trailer showed that these characters aren't showing up post-World of Light, but instead during it - so if there's any continuity to speak of, post-World of Light trailers would be when all of the spirits are able to "go back". It's a long shot, but if World of Light ends during the 5th character reveal trailer, I'm holding onto my seat.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
My opinion about the whole World of Light and DLC is ... don't put too much stock in it. DLC is just sticking in more fighters into the game. There's already so many holes in the "plot" of the story mode and pngs Spirits.

I think ... just don't think too much.

ZelDan

Smash Master
My opinion about the whole World of Light and DLC is ... don't put too much stock in it. DLC is just sticking in more fighters into the game. There's already so many holes in the "plot" of the story mode and pngs Spirits.

I think ... just don't think too much.
I mean, every DLC character so far was basically just tossed in WoL without any thought. You start WoL and just immediately get a "THIS CHARACTER IS NOW PLAYABLE" screen and that's that.

The only thing that people should pay any attention to when it comes to WoL are those dummy slots found in datamines.

D

Deleted member

I mean, every DLC character so far was basically just tossed in WoL without any thought. You start WoL and just immediately get a "THIS CHARACTER IS NOW PLAYABLE" screen and that's that.

The only thing that people should pay any attention to when it comes to WoL are those dummy slots found in datamines.
If you had never played world of light before, DLC characters show up at a certain threshold of base characters unlocked. I think it increases in 5s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If you had never played world of light before, DLC characters show up at a certain threshold of base characters unlocked. I think it increases in 5s.
Every DLC character gets unlocked once you've freed ten fighters in WoL, actually.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I encourage those who encounter anti-Geno posts to screenshot them. Please; screenshot them. I know this might sound dumb and petty; but it will pay off big time (the Banjo collab was ****ing hilarious to read)
funny that you said this, I have dreamt in my mind of going back to 5-10 year old posts of people saying “Geno is irrelevant” and just going off on them. Lol, No worries ima relax.

D

Deleted member

Geno's chances are still good. Uncertain of what the future brings.

But I believe in his chances.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
While I do want Geno to get in on some point (Mostly because of the fact you guys sold me on him) Geno hate is probably never gonna go away sadly, he has all the issues of a contentious character.
Character from a highly represented game franchise? Check
Character a lot more minor then some characters from the same franchise not in yet (Like Kamek or Toad)? Check
Character from a JRPG? Check
3rd party? Check
From a single game over a decade old, so most people won't have the memories of of him? Check
Overused in Multiple fake leaks? Check
Has a dedicated fan base that has a decent amount of bad apples (No offense)? Check

None of these are good reasons to deny a character mind you, but these are reasons many people would be hesitant of getting him.
I mean people who don't like a character for Smash can make up a laundry list of dumb reasons as to why any character not in the roster yet "shouldn't get in". I don't see how this is specific to Geno in the slightest.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of the current leak, I'm still pretty optimistic about Geno. I'd even nudge my confidence up to about 60/40 at this point. With the missing costume, clearly something's up with the character and we'll just have to keep making our voices heard until we find out more.

My main takeaway is that Ryu H is still a likely inclusion, but I don't really need leaks to tell me that. The character has been around forever and has been viewed as one of the last NES icons once Simon was added. Nothing is for sure yet, though. Both Joker and Terry were major surprises. At this point, I'm just taking the leaks with a huge grain of salt.

That said, if Ryu H is fighter #5, then I don't think his trailer will involve World of Light's story--although I really like your theory @Serenade01 . With the way trailers have been going so far, Ryu's trailer will likely tie into the duel during the opening cinematic for Ninja Gaiden NES--perhaps crossing over with Greninja and Sheik.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
I have to disagree on the gun thing. It technically isn't a real for Joker. And having "generic" looking human wielding actual Hand Guns is really going to be hard.
Look, to an outsider, that’s a Gun, there’s zero indication that it’s not a real gun
It sounds like a gun
It works like a gun
I looks like a gun
ITS
A
GUUUUUUUUNNNNN

D

Deleted member

I got caught with everything and know the full story. I want to thank PapaGenos, New_WabiSabi (Polar Panda) and IAmShifty for bringing the entire thing to light. Really enjoy PapaGenos channel too his videos are great definetly a big fan.

Anyway I'm fine if Ryu Hayabusa gets in he seems like a great character and if he's anything like Shiek or Greninja I'm content. I main Greninja and it's one of my favourute Pokemon anyway so another ninja like character is welcome.

I don't think this confirms or denies Geno. He's still up in the air as far as DLC is concerned. But I do believe his chances are still good too.

Luis27

Smash Apprentice
So, Blocked content just talked with Brew, and the he said Geno is not 100% confirmed BUT is not desconfirmed Either.

I think GENO IS IN.

-Forest maze cumbia start to sound-

Plank08

Smash Lord
This might be off topic but really think about it, is there ever a canon reason in RPGs why you can only have a certain amount of team members at a time? Do your other party members watch from the distance while the rest fight for their lives? This stuff always bothered me because I always wanted to use all of my party at once when I play these types of games.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, Blocked content just talked with Brew, and the he said Geno is not 100% confirmed BUT is not desconfirmed Either.

I think GENO IS IN.

-Forest maze cumbia start to sound-
For once, something related to BC actually interests me! ... and it's not even because of anything the man himself said or did lol.

What interests me here is saying that Geno has not been disconfirmed. This tells me that, if they have any knowledge at all on future Mii costume waves, Geno is not among them. That, or his source may have even told him that they still don't know where the costume is or haven't heard anything about it. Not saying that means the Mii costume is dead and Geno's chances are better as a result, but it does make me wonder if it will even show up at all.

D

Deleted member

I would say tread carefully when it comes to Callum Blocked Content. He seems like one of the nicest most humble dudes around. Plus I really enjoyed his content leading up to Super Mario Odyssey.

But he posts leak videos just about everyday with nothing to back them half the time. Definetly watch if you want. But don’t believe everything he says.

But yes Geno does still have a good chance.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, if we got Geno, would we consider Geno our retro rep for this game? He'd be in the same class as the Ice Climbers, Mr Game & Watch, Pit, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and possibly Simon (and Ryu Hayabusa if he makes it).

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, if we got Geno, would we consider Geno our retro rep for this game? He'd be in the same class as the Ice Climbers, Mr Game & Watch, Pit, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and possibly Simon (and Ryu Hayabusa if he makes it).
I can't even say we have 'the retro rep' for this game anymore when we got multiple by that logic (Simon, debatably K. Rool since he's been dead for a long time, same with B-K), more like the wacky out there rep (Plant). That being said, in the Sakurai interview talking about Geno, he does explicitly call Geno a 'retro rep'. So, yeah, he does fall into that category.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
With some leakers saying that Wave 2 won't feature Nintendo characters is hard to believe. Nintendo & Sakurai already know that they can sell any character and people with buy it based on how many people bought the Fighters Pass after just revealing Joker, and they also know that there's still Nintendo characters people want and most likely Sakurai want to include someone from Fire Emblem Three Houses and Pokemon Sword & Shield. It hard to believe that they would rather keep spending money and negotiate with third parties for all future DLC instead of using some of the properties they already have which wouldn't cost them anything extra. They need to mix it up now.

Plus are they legitimately going have Piranha Plant as the last Nintendo character ever to be added into Smash Bros? I know a lot are sick the Plant insults but come on, that's extremely messed up.
Third parties bring more benefit to the game for the exact reason you stated in your second sentence. The Smash core fan base and faithful will keep buying, and thus are the people you have to worry about the least beyond throwing them a bone every now and then like with Banjo & Kazooie. Third parties bring more attention to the game and have a greater capacity to bring new customers and players to the game or the DLC itself. People act like it costs some absurd amount to license these fighters, and while it's not easy or free, Smash is also in a position where it can likely leverage its legacy to get whatever it wants at a fair price. They don't need to mix up **** because their model of third party DLC has apparently been nothing but a success since Smash 4, and Ultimate is even more so. It's a fair point to make that you have to spend money to make money here, and bigger name third parties just do more for the game and their (Nintendo and Sakurai's) interests at this point. You don't have to have advertising reps at this stage of Smash and Nintendo's life cycle.

This is the only chance to have this big crazy crossover between huge gaming IPs, they should absolutely prioritize that. If the Nintendo characters are actually worth anything, they'll survive until the next Smash and work better in that one, but I'm sticking hard to the idea we should avoid as much first party DLC as possible now. Walking away from a once in a lifetime opportunity that is genuinely cool, pleases tons of people (Hardcore and Casual Smash fans alike), and makes records that cannot be surpassed just seems dumb to me

And Wynn, can you just stop with the Plant every chance you get?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
IMO, yes and no. He'd be a retro rep, but if he gets in the deciding factor would have been his strong, relatively consistent demand, not his age (same with Simon). On the other hand, Ice Climbers were definitely chosen because of their age (and I think G&W too), there was something with Pit I'm not quite remembering, and I'm pretty sure ROB and Duck Hunt were chosen for the purpose of being retro reps specifically (although I may be wrong).

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Once again, I kind of think these are arbtitruary categories. The most concrete one to me would be hardware reps. Those being G&W, R.O.B., and Duckhunt who commemorates the zapper.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Once again, I kind of think these are arbtitruary categories. The most concrete one to me would be hardware reps. Those being G&W, R.O.B., and Duckhunt who commemorates the zapper.
Wouldn't it be cool if they made Geno's arm guns look similar to the Super Scope? Sure, we have the item itself in-game, but that little nod to his SNES origins would be kinda cute.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I would say tread carefully when it comes to Callum Blocked Content. He seems like one of the nicest most humble dudes around. Plus I really enjoyed his content leading up to Super Mario Odyssey.

But he posts leak videos just about everyday with nothing to back them half the time. Definetly watch if you want. But don’t believe everything he says.

But yes Geno does still have a good chance.
So who would you wager is the bigger liar: Blocked Content or Todd Howard?
My choice would be Todd, because when he tells his sweet little lies I actually kind of want to believe him.
A retro character has to be both old and obscure, chosen for the sheer unexpectedness of it. Geno may be old, but given the near constant discussion surrounding him over the years up to today he's far from obscure, so I don't think he fits. I also don't think Simon and Ryu count either, since they've been in plenty of stuff over the years and are still well known even today. Hell, Ryu was just announced for the newest Dynasty Warriors game.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Third parties bring more benefit to the game for the exact reason you stated in your second sentence. The Smash core fan base and faithful will keep buying, and thus are the people you have to worry about the least beyond throwing them a bone every now and then like with Banjo & Kazooie. Third parties bring more attention to the game and have a greater capacity to bring new customers and players to the game or the DLC itself. People act like it costs some absurd amount to license these fighters, and while it's not easy or free, Smash is also in a position where it can likely leverage its legacy to get whatever it wants at a fair price. They don't need to mix up **** because their model of third party DLC has apparently been nothing but a success since Smash 4, and Ultimate is even more so. It's a fair point to make that you have to spend money to make money here, and bigger name third parties just do more for the game and their (Nintendo and Sakurai's) interests at this point. You don't have to have advertising reps at this stage of Smash and Nintendo's life cycle.

This is the only chance to have this big crazy crossover between huge gaming IPs, they should absolutely prioritize that. If the Nintendo characters are actually worth anything, they'll survive until the next Smash and work better in that one, but I'm sticking hard to the idea we should avoid as much first party DLC as possible now. Walking away from a once in a lifetime opportunity that is genuinely cool, pleases tons of people (Hardcore and Casual Smash fans alike), and makes records that cannot be surpassed just seems dumb to me

We seem to agree a lot, my guy. I've already quoted you like three times before. While I do wish some 1st party characters (like my boy Bandana Dee) got in, I think you're on the money with what you said though. And I think Nintendo feels the same way. (Though it is hard to say if there will be absolutely no 1st party characters in. Such as Byleth, Rex, Bandana Dee, Waluigi, etc.)

Also, I agree with what you said to Wynn. I don't like to call people out, but when people constantly dump on certain characters (like Piranha Plant and especially Corrin), it gets irritating. Wynn hasn't mentioned Corrin (as I remember it), but some people have many, many, MANY times. Like yeah, I get it, Corrin isn't my favorite either, but he is still cool moveset wise. And we do have over 80 characters, so the roster is bound to have an unpopular character or two.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

So basically Nintendo characters are now trash. Many Nintendo series survived because of their inclusion in Smash Bros like Fire Emblem & Xenoblade, so just throw any possible new Nintendo character out from being considered being playable weakens many potential series because now their not good enough or worth the time. ARMS did sell extremely good but it did drop like a bag of bricks with the people who bought it to a point where the series future is in danger of not continuing. Nintendo could strengthen it's own series by including ARMS into Smash Bros, but instead we're just going to focus other companies and just throw the rest of the Nintendo series under the bridge.

Third parties are great but they're not feeling special anymore and just makes the rest of Nintendo series and characters that aren't ever going to be in Ulimate just look like trash.

Also no, if we're never going to get another Nintendo character added into Smash Bros Ultimate ever again the Piranha Plant deserves all the hate it can get since it will a constant reminder that everything else that Nintendo owns is complete garbage because they went with a generic enemy as their last Nintendo rep. Instead of choose the other characters that people have been dying to see make it in they wanted to dumb the barrel and scrape it so hard they're bringing up dirt.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Like it or not, 3rd party additions are bigger than 1st party additions. Always have been, always will be.

Especially now that virtually all the Nintendo characters left to include would be representing a franchise already IN Smash

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So basically Nintendo characters are now trash. Many Nintendo series survived because of their inclusion in Smash Bros like Fire Emblem & Xenoblade, so just throw any possible new Nintendo character out from being considered being playable weakens many potential series because now their not good enough or worth the time. ARMS did sell extremely good but it did drop like a bag of bricks with the people who bought it to a point where the series future is in danger of not continuing. Nintendo could strengthen it's own series by including ARMS into Smash Bros, but instead we're just going to focus other companies and just throw the rest of the Nintendo series under the bridge.

Third parties are great but they're not feeling special anymore and just makes the rest of Nintendo series and characters that aren't ever going to be in Ulimate just look like trash.

Also no, if we're never going to get another Nintendo character added into Smash Bros Ultimate ever again the Piranha Plant deserves all the hate it can get since it will a constant reminder that everything else that Nintendo owns is complete garbage because they went with a generic enemy as their last Nintendo rep. Instead of choose the other characters that people have been dying to see make it in they wanted to dumb the barrel and scrape it so hard they're bringing up dirt.
You're the only person calling Nintendo series trash. Saying they are less enticing in the current circumstance does not mean that Nintendo characters are trash or bad. X not getting into Smash as a playable character does not mean that X is bad and you have got to break yourself of this mindset. Not everybody can be playable in Smash and not every character that isn't playable, is not playable because of some inherent judgment on their quality. It's such a closed off mindset to even look at character selection from and I don't understand how you just consistently arrive at these same conclusions. A =/= B does not allow you to say that A = Z.

Xenoblade didn't survive because of Smash, it survived because a whole bunch of dedicated fans put together a giant operation to convince Nintendo to localize it and bought the game. Being in Smash didn't hurt it, but I'm not letting you take away what people put tons of effort into and the commitment Nintendo made to Xenoblade regardless of Smash (X came out right after Smash 4 and didn't sell amazing, but then 2 sold considerably better without any Smash cross promotion).

Fire Emblem is once again this stupidly specific set of circumstances and is legitimately the only time Smash has genuinely been critical in the continuation of a series. Punch-Out (Wii) doesn't have a sequel despite Little Mac getting in 4. Ice Climbers have never come back outside of Smash. Despite Lucas being a really popular Smash fighter, we still can't get an official localization of Mother 3. Captain Falcon being in Smash has not resulted in F-Zero continuing on. Pit only got a new game because Sakurai went all in on a new Kid Icarus, and has not been seen since. Banjo & Kazooie aren't even being capitalized on beyond Rare Replay. Being in Smash is far from some promise of a future for a character, and most of the evidence is to the contrary.

Nintendo is currently in a position where they don't really need to strengthen their brand with Smash promotions of characters. They have plenty of successful titles already that they can reliably count on and frequently push for innovative new titles on their own anyway. The Nintendo fans are already all playing Smash and a **** load of their other games anyway, so Smash can serve as a product to introduce new people to their IPs and their console at this point. I guarantee most of the population who played ARMS plays or has played Ultimate, I would not say the same for those who played Persona 5 or King of Fighters or Dragon Quest. That's not to say you can't appeal to people who play Nintendo games, but it explains why the thought process is so prevalent in Nintendo's decision making. Big names mean big headlines that mean continued success of a product, and this particular product already basically represents everything major Nintendo has to offer outside of a couple of specific additions. It strengthens their brand by continually attracting more people, and Nintendo cares way ****ing more about their overall brand than they do most of the specifics franchises in that brand, particularly the lower selling and more niche ones. Again, that's not to say there isn't a place for Nintendo characters, but it makes sense to see them as lower priority at this point given how much Sakurai has already achieved in representing Nintendo in the base game and how Nintendo have actively stated they want to use Smash as a launching point for people into their recognizable brands. A new player to Golden Sun for example might be worth a bit, but a brand new fan to the Switch and let's say, Mario games in general, has so much value to them (in addition to the fact that many of these third parties also please tons of people already playing).

Third parties don't have to feel special anymore. I don't get why that matters if they do or don't, they still attract huge headlines and excite millions of players.

And again, with Plant, you've repeated this same sentiment ad naseum and it still rings hollow every time. Piranha Plant was created to be different and fill a specific niche with players. You were not the target of that niche and constantly throwing a tantrum about how Plant stole your character's slot comes off as immature. Sakurai didn't tell you your favorite characters not in the game were trash, he told you that he was making something for someone besides you. You actively do more harm for character support when you act like this if I'm being brutally honest because of how entitled and consistently hostile it comes off as.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
wow geno chances seem pretty good. LETS KEEP FIGHT BOYS. LETS HOPE OUR STAR BOY RETURNS.

download copy 4.jpg

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace

I honestly have to back up EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman on this one. You are being immature. This mindset that Piranha Plant should get all this scorn just because characters you wanted didn't get in is frankly insulting when Sakurai has given us so much. I definitely am not saying that you can't criticize Sakurai (no one is perfect), but you're just complaining and continue to view Piranha Plant as Nintendo saying all of their characters not included are trash. Where do you get that from? I want Bandana Dee so so soooo much, but I am by no means saying Piranha Plant is satan's spawn just because things didn't go my way. I am just grateful that a man is willing to go to work with an IV just to try and make his passion project the best it can.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, I am completely content with the roster. And I don't say that because my most wanted are in. That's why I'm cool with Geno and want him even though I have 0 attachment to him. I'm rooting for you guys because you guys have waited. What happens if Geno doesn't get in? Will you be thinking Piranha Plant "stole" Geno's spot and that you view your character's absence as justification for crapping on Piranha Plant constantly? If so, then I don't want Geno in. That is the definition of entitlement. We have over 80 characters and growing, over 100 stages and growing... we have so so sooooo much. Sure maybe some places in the roster aren't the best (like Fire Emblem), but I have a genuinely hard time really being super upset because we have so much. Geno fans should be lucky because what if this Fighters Pass was all with no more DLC? I would feel bad if he didn't get in, but I would HOPE that his fans would be mature enough to not let his absence ruin the entire game. Because I'd have major issues with that.

I'm done with my rant, but you seriously need to readjust your mindset. I'm in this thread as someone who isn't even a Geno fan, I just want you all to be happy. Genuinely, you've all waited a while. But when there are people like you saying things like you've been saying, it makes me not want to be around here all too much.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Funnily enough, I talked to this Brew guy near the end of last year. He pm'ed me privately as we were both in the same memegroup and told me he heard whisperings of geno, but that more than likely square was going to push a dq rep, he originally thought it would be slime since he only heard it'd be a dq rep and was just guessing, but had a strong feeling it was a DQ rep. He did mention that he KNEW that we were going to get at LEAST 10 dlc characters. Again, this was last year. Not sure if that matters now, but I felt like sharing since we're on the topic of Brew themselves. They didn't really tell me anything else outside of that.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Funnily enough, I talked to this Brew guy near the end of last year. He pm'ed me privately as we were both in the same memegroup and told me he heard whisperings of geno, but that more than likely square was going to push a dq rep, he originally thought it would be slime since he only heard it'd be a dq rep and was just guessing, but had a strong feeling it was a DQ rep. He did mention that he KNEW that we were going to get at LEAST 10 dlc characters. Again, this was last year. Not sure if that matters now, but I felt like sharing since we're on the topic of Brew themselves. They didn't really tell me anything else outside of that.
If you're gonna drop that bomb about 10 characters (even if it was close to a year old), you're gonna need to get some evidence in here. Because that may be a big deal. We may even have to get papagenos papagenos on that, because no one has said anything about that. And he and Sabi have talked to Brew.

D

Deleted member

Yeah what AdamBel said we need some evidence on something big like that, Evidence?

T2by4

Smash Lord
When they say "boyo", they were reffering to Geno. After looking back, they seemed confident that Geno was POSSIBLY coming, but knew that DQ was coming first and that 10 dlc characters are absolutely happening

I felt like he was LARP'ing at the time, and maybe he still is and just got really lucky. Who knows. I felt like we would've gotten Geno a while back if he heard of him waaaay back in October/November last year. These messages were on November 4th 2018.

Attachments

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
it's possible that they wanted to put Geno in but held him off from the first pass for unknown reasons. It is entirely likely they had shelved some characters to be later priority if they ended up going through with more fighters after the first pass.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I don't think Geno would just be leakbait. He's too popular in the community to just be leakbait. Consider this: Steve as an example. Everyone was hell-bent on Steve and we got Banjo. They took the more popular company character and used it to cover up the more popular Smash-related character...

if you hear whispers of Sora, expect Geno.:ultpacman:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
When they say "boyo", they were reffering to Geno. After looking back, they seemed confident that Geno was POSSIBLY coming, but knew that DQ was coming first and that 10 dlc characters are absolutely happening

I felt like he was LARP'ing at the time, and maybe he still is and just got really lucky. Who knows. I felt like we would've gotten Geno a while back if he heard of him waaaay back in October/November last year. These messages were on November 4th 2018.
Ooh, this is some juicy stuff. I’d tag papagenos, but apparently he’s already talking to Brew himself.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace

papagenos papagenos You want to check with Brew if he is still confident about the 10 characters? There was all that speculation talk about the dummy slots, so this would line up nicely (though I suppose this would mean he meant Piranha Plant + Fighters Pass, so according to what he heard, at the time, we could maybe have at least 4 more extra characters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom