• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
All I'm gonna add to this debate is that I love how people are subscribing to my Xander Mobus = Geno idea now. :p Makes me feel less silly for even suggesting it. Still need Xander dittos with Jokers and Genos!

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
The problem there is that Bowser's depicted in Smash on his more ferocious side because that's how Sakurai envisioned him: a monster. Sakurai would probably try to do Geno justice. Whether that would entail no sounds, actual Japanese voice lines, or even star sounds, I don't know.
I meant in terms of how the Mario Galaxy games just had dialogue boxes with generic Bowser grunt noises over the top which was way better. But yeah, odds on Sakurai using realistic puppet samples for his voice :4pacman:.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Geno has lines in Japanese too, it's not just a Western thing. That, and Geno's line of "I serve a higher authority" would probably be one of his win quotes.
I know he speaks in the Japanese version too. I was actually referring to the fact that Cloud only speaks in Japanese and seeing as he is the only Square rep we have, they could do the same to Geno. Also, yeah, Bowser talking has never been a good thing. Text boxes and grunts are ok but holy cow, Sunshine was a trip.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Honestly though, I can't see Geno being voice acted without it sounding corny. It'd have to be just star spirit sounds. I can't help but think that if he did have a voice, he'd have corny lines and a voice actor like dan green using his yugi voice.

Last edited:
If Geno gets in, I hope he's unvoiced (grunts are ok, but please no English). I don't think a voice would suit him without coming across as awkward, forced or cheesy even.

I know he talks in Mario RPG, but so does Bowser. As has been experimented once before in Mario Sunshine, Bowser should never speak long sentences again :4bowser: *shudders*.
To be fair, Sunshine's voice acting in general was.... ugly. It's clear the voice acting was the last of their concerns there, lol. I honestly think that a voice could work for Bowser if actual effort was put into it (though that's largely thanks to my friend, who has a killer Bowser impression that really does him justice, lol)

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Honestly though, I can't see Geno being voice acted without it sounding corny. It'd have to be just star spirit sounds. I can't help but think that if he did have a voice, he'd have corny lines and a voice actor like dan green using his yugi voice.
I would die if Geno started screaming things about dueling and card games as Luigi asks Mario who the heck his wooden pal is.

Also, on the subject, my friend just read over my shoulder and told me he always pictured Geno as sounding like Mugen from Samurai Champloo (though slightly more energetic). Now I'm picturing him saying stuff in Mugen's voice and... honestly, fits surprisingly well.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, Sunshine's voice acting in general was.... ugly. It's clear the voice acting was the last of their concerns there, lol. I honestly think that a voice could work for Bowser if actual effort was put into it (though that's largely thanks to my friend, who has a killer Bowser impression that really does him justice, lol)
I liked Bowser Jr's voice; amusing and kinda iconic tbf. And the Toad voices were hysterical. But for sure, the Piantas (intro cutscenes, their grunts are funny), Bowser and even Fludd was horrendous.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So like, assuming Geno DOES get into Smash Ultimate alongside Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo, would y'all still feel Isaac was "missing" out of the classic heavily requested "never-ever-whatevers"? At the very least it'd be all of them that the Smash team were at least aware about the support of, I guess. I'm not trying to be hypothetically ungrateful or anything (my biggest character wants actually lie elsewhere), I'm legitimately asking if like how people were like "now bring in Geno!" when Banjo got revealed, if they'd specifically feel it was "incomplete" in the same way if Isaac was still just an assist trophy in Ultimate whilst Geno would be announced to be playable.
I can't speak for others here obviously, but even if Geno doesn't get in I am very content with this roster. I say this as someone who has wanted Geno as my number one most desired character in Smash since Melee. This truly is the ultimate fighting/party game and I am so happy to see the likes of Ridley and K Rool (who were both among some of my most desired characters) finally make it in. Honestly even though I want Geno so bad I will be ok if he doesn't make it. And if he does and Isaac doesn't I'll still be super excited to finally be able to play my most wanted character even tho I also want Isaac in as well. Just get excited folks. Any new addition warrants excitement and any character who doesn't make the cut is just a reason to hope for them in future dlc/installments.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The main issue was Bowser sounding like the Cookie Monster, which persisted in some of the later Mario games pre-Galaxy.

Meanwhile, Wario Ware Gold (and by extension KI Uprising) has actual ADR work and veteran VAs put into things and kills it.

The usual stable of Mario VAs is clearly instructed to not do much more than a few token lines, but at least Martinet is adaptable enough for any situation (and some of the Mario regulars did get better VAs later on).

I liked Bowser Jr's voice; amusing and kinda iconic tbf. And the Toad voices were hysterical.
Toads are funny in general, in fairness.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i actually think sunshine did a good work on all the characters, though i only remember bowser's line before his final battle to argue against the idea.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The main issue was Bowser sounding like the Cookie Monster, which persisted in some of the later Mario games pre-Galaxy.

Meanwhile, Wario Ware Gold (and by extension KI Uprising) has actual ADR work and veteran VAs put into things and kills it.

The usual stable of Mario VAs is clearly instructed to not do much more than a few token lines, but at least Martinet is adaptable enough for any situation (and some of the Mario regulars did get better VAs later on).
It's easy to forget that Nintendo only began utilizing LA-based professional voice talent in their games only 6-7 years ago, with Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Before then and sometimes still, all voice casts were based in the Seattle area, where NOA is headquartered.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Xander Mobus' best character isn't even Smash Bros related. It is this guy:

XM.jpg

"Ay Smithy, yah peck neck. Give back me Star Train!"

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I liked Bowser Jr's voice; amusing and kinda iconic tbf. And the Toad voices were hysterical. But for sure, the Piantas (intro cutscenes, their grunts are funny), Bowser and even Fludd was horrendous.
What, you mean you don't like "MARIO! HOW DARE YOU DISTURB MY FAMILY VACATION?!"

To be honest, I don't mind Sunshine's voice acting at all. Yeah, it's corny and kinda bad at times, but at the same time, it's a freaking Mario game. It's not like we're playing Xenoblade Chronicles or something. If anything, the cheesy tone of it all added to my enjoyment of the game when I was young.

Yes, I am nostalgic for Sunshine's voice acting. What's it to ya?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Seeing it on Youtube, I didn't mind Mario Sunshine's voice acting as well. Though I will say Bowser deserved a better voice. Still, the voice acting may have been bad in some areas, but it was their first time having Mario characters except Mario himself voice act in a main Mario game, right, if that means anything?

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I've been watching this thread for I while and this is the first time I'm commenting c:

Last edited:

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
What should I do to get in the supporters list?
Also, sorry if my english sucks I'm brazilian lol

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What, you mean you don't like "MARIO! HOW DARE YOU DISTURB MY FAMILY VACATION?!"

To be honest, I don't mind Sunshine's voice acting at all. Yeah, it's corny and kinda bad at times, but at the same time, it's a freaking Mario game. It's not like we're playing Xenoblade Chronicles or something. If anything, the cheesy tone of it all added to my enjoyment of the game when I was young.

Yes, I am nostalgic for Sunshine's voice acting. What's it to ya?
Could be worse, I was subjected to Ape Escape 1's voice acting. The original PSX version. This is the main reason why I wouldn't mind a PS4 remake.

What should I do to get in the supporters list?
Easy, just call up the original poster.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Sure, ATs aren't playable, but at least the characters in question are acknowledged. The only thing worse than being dead is to be forgotten.
Sure they're not forgotten, but they are reminded as characters that were not worth consideration because as Sakurai have stated "there are lots of popular games with characters that just aren’t meant for fighting and were too hard to incorporate into the Smash Bros. title." So that means Piranha Plant is more of a viable pick then any of the Assist Trophies we have now. And before anyone brings up Little Mac, Dark Samus, and Isabelle I'll say this:
Little Mac got a redesign and a new game in between Brawl and Smash 4 which help improve a lot of potential concepts.
Dark Samus is an Echo Fighter.
And Isabelle shares between 50% to 60% of the same moves as Villager.
So that comment still applies, especially to the ones who have been Assist Trophies multiple times!

Not forgotten, just reminded as being a piece of crap.

D

Deleted member

Time to throw some speculation dice (0.0 ) Smash Bros. JP just tweeted and included some neat looking pictures.

However, one of the images in particular reminded me of two instances in Super Mario RPG.

slurps Kero Kero Cola
While it could mean something it could also mean nothing. People thought one picture of Rathalos meant Isaac was in last year let's not forget but maybe. Maybe this does mean something I can't really say anything to debunk this thought except that it has the potential to mean nothing.

On one hand they did may have done a of hint at Banjo and a DQ rep through those stages in Joker's challenger approaching trailer which may or may not show that they could and would do hints sometimes but on the other hand the Rathalos pic meant nothing.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Time to throw some speculation dice (0.0 ) Smash Bros. JP just tweeted and included some neat looking pictures.

However, one of the images in particular reminded me of two instances in Super Mario RPG.

slurps Kero Kero Cola
And we continue to learn nothing from the Rathalos picture that looked like Golden Sun.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom