• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Man seeing how Joker has a stando and Hero has 40 down b specials. Banjo is starting to look boring in comparison since all he does is swing kazooie around and shoot eggs. I suppose he is a Bear that can talk. :v

Can't wait to see what they do with Geno in action.

Last edited:

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
haven't posted on here since the final direct. thought all hope was lost. but i have returned.
how are we all feeling in this post "no geno mii costume" and "smrpg songs getting taken down by nintendo" era?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
haven't posted on here since the final direct. thought all hope was lost. but i have returned.
how are we all feeling in this post "no geno mii costume" and "smrpg songs getting taken down by nintendo" era?
Pretty good tbh. Also add "Square limits 2 songs per game" to the list because Hero technically has only 2 songs per represented game.

The fact that Nintendo took down 2 seemingly new (?) versions of SMRG tracks makes it possible?

Do we know if those were old or just a fan remake?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pretty good tbh. Also add "Square limits 2 songs per game" to the list because Hero technically has only 2 songs per represented game.

The fact that Nintendo took down 2 seemingly new (?) versions of SMRG tracks makes it possible?

Do we know if those were old or just a fan remake?
They were the original tracks, but, again, they are still very very easy to find on Youtube. Only one channel had them removed, after a history of Nintendo removing other tracks on the channel, none of which had a bearing on Smash.

People are making too much of this music deal.

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
They were the original tracks, but, again, they are still very very easy to find on Youtube. Only one channel had them removed, after a history of Nintendo removing other tracks on the channel, none of which had a bearing on Smash.

People are making too much of this music deal.
damn. f in the chat for the music theory i guess.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
That whole music debacle was weird. Of all the songs for Nintendo (not Square) to hand pick to send a message to the guy to stop what they are doing for the 100th time?

I remember when that went down, I sent them a message asking if this was the first time Nintendo went after their SMRPG tracks before....have yet to get an answer from him. Figured that was a simple question to answer, but I guess not. *shrugs*

Last edited:

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
That whole music debacle was weird. Of all the songs for Nintendo (not Square) to hand pick to send a message to the guy to stop what they are doing for the 100th time?

I remember when that went down, I sent them a message asking if this was the first time Nintendo went after their SMRPG tracks before....have yet to get an answer from him. Figured that was a simple question to answer, but I guess not. *shrugs*
i still find it kinda weird that the takedown was from nintendo, and not square enix. i don't know for certain, but i'm pretty sure square owns smrpg's music. i don't think nintendo has the power to take it down.
then again when has the youtube copyright claim system ever worked correctly

AugustusB

Smash Champion
i still find it kinda weird that the takedown was from nintendo, and not square enix. i don't know for certain, but i'm pretty sure square owns smrpg's music. i don't think nintendo has the power to take it down.
then again when has the youtube copyright claim system ever worked correctly
Trust me, we have been over that for a while now. There is no concrete way to determine who owns what from that game. I did some research during that time and found out that the official CD for the game was published by a company that Square normally used during their early days. Everything points to Square for me, but, again, No one has absolute proof that says "Square owns the music" so it's been shelved.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Man seeing how Joker has a stando and Hero has 40 down b specials. Banjo is starting to look boring in comparison since all he does is swing kazooie around and shoot eggs. I suppose he is a Bear that can talk. :v

Can't wait to see what they do with Geno in action.
Actually, in regards to Banjo & Kazooie, I'm looking forward to see if they'll be given the Egg type rotation mechanic from Banjo-Tooie (since in their E3 2019 reveal trailer, two moves had Kazooie producing two different types of eggs). If that mechanic does get implemented, I could see that adding a bit more versatility to the duo (in addition to their side B - Wonderwing).

----------------------
Back onto the topic of Geno, as it's been mentioned earlier in this thread, giving Geno a timed-hits mechanic would fit perfectly with him. Not only because it's part of the source material (SMRPG), but because it would add to his potential stutter-like movements one could see in doll/robot-like characters. Also, timed-hits could apply to both normal, and special moves (just like in SMRPG).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the term "music theory" is thrown around for too many things. There has been like 3 things named that

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
While no mii costume is promising not to much increase in chance for two reasons

One square is a little picky know ping little more on the’re way

Second the Chocobo costume is missing too

Oh we do have yet another leak potentially revealing the other 2

It’s monster hunter and doom guy

The catch is he named the dragon quest rep as hero and named the alt costumes perfectly (main heroes from DQ 3/4/8/11)

And also got banjo and kazooie correct

And it was posted back in December 2018
The author confirmed that as not a leak but a wishlist

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Trust me, we have been over that for a while now. There is no concrete way to determine who owns what from that game. I did some research during that time and found out that the official CD for the game was published by a company that Square normally used during their early days. Everything points to Square for me, but, again, No one has absolute proof that says "Square owns the music" so it's been shelved.
Yoko Shimomura put out her memória! album in 2014, which contains a couple SMRPG songs including Forest Mushrooms. It was released by Square Enix and has no Nintendo branding whatsoever as far as I know

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Welp, The Hero taught me that RNG in Smash Bros is still annoying. I had to cycle through the command list like 14 times for Mana Explosion to show up, also range of the melee spells from the command list are short and feels extremely impractical to use seeing how you have to stand still, hope the attack spell shows up and hope your opponent stays in the spot that you're clearly telegraphing where you're attacking. I manage to beat two Hero online with Ganondorf because they kept trying to use the command list. Everything else about Hero is good, but Sakurai needs to stop pushing RNG as a way to reclaim the casual side of Smash Bros. It's not fun.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
So a week or so ago people were talking about that suspiciously well done rendition of Beware the Forest's Mushrooms that people have been passing off as a "missing Brawl track" since 2008

It bothered me I couldn't find the original, but I believe I've managed to find the oldest version of it on the internet so far. Regarding the Forest Maze level itself, the Mario wiki says "The music of the Forest Maze is famous among players of the game, and was chosen as track four in the arranged version of the Super Mario RPG soundtrack."

Arranged version of the Super Mario RPG soundtrack?

Well I looked it up and an old video game soundtrack repository does indeed have a five-song arranged album of Super Mario RPG music, and Beware the Forest's Mushrooms is indeed track #4. The upload date on this site is November of 2006, a little over a year before Brawl was released. Unfortunately I have no idea if this is an official arrangement or what, as the site doesn't have any info and looking up "Super Mario RPG arranged soundtrack" mostly gives recent remixes or other things that are clearly fan-made

The quest continues for the origin of this song

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm back! So I want to apologize about not being there for the initial hype train, but my insomnia kept me up until 3:30 AM, so when I woke up at 6:30 and then again at 7:30 and I felt like I wanted to die even more than usual, it just wasn't gonna happen.

So I watched the presentation at around 10 AM and I'm here to comment on it after catching up with the metric crapola-ton of posts that have popped up since then. And, since I feel like we haven't had enough memes or images in this thread, I will be doing this in meme/image format for my reaction. I put WAY too much work into doing this, so I hope you all enjoy.

As for those who REALLY don't think we will get at least a date at EVO or are still negative after this, I dunno what to tell ya. Maybe go outside and enjoy yourselves? Take a break, focus on something happy? Seriously, some of you are just so goddamn set in the worst-case that it's frankly irritating. Like, how do you constantly go "Well, it's still not gonna happen, so just stay un-hype and calm guys." when time after time we get more proof something is afoot?

Welp, The Hero taught me that RNG in Smash Bros is still annoying. I had to cycle through the command list like 14 times for Mana Explosion to show up, also range of the melee spells from the command list are short and feels extremely impractical to use seeing how you have to stand still, hope the attack spell shows up and hope your opponent stays in the spot that you're clearly telegraphing where you're attacking. I manage to beat two Hero online with Ganondorf because they kept trying to use the command list. Everything else about Hero is good, but Sakurai needs to stop pushing RNG as a way to reclaim the casual side of Smash Bros. It's not fun.
No offense, but I can tell you are a casual player.

Zero has already proven you have movement options while in the Command Menu, though they are limited. Also, find me a way that having access to nearly 30 spells would be balanced other than not picking which ones you get.

Your hate for what Sakurai crafts is obnoxious.

EDIT: So apparently having all those media embeds was a big nono, so I fixed them all to include links instead. It's way less funny and demands you to load a new page for each video, but I hope that doesn't bother anyone too much. Remember, THEY MADE ME DO IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7F8NUgnJsU

Last edited:

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, what about: GENO SHOWS HIS SPIRIT!
I get what you're going for, and maybe it's a sign I need to go to bed for immediately thinking this,
But wouldn't that be like
the equivalent of Geno Flashing us

:4pacman:
...ok awful joke goodnight everyone

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My nephews were over and played minecraft on my computer all day so I'm not able to finish updating the supporter list. I've started though working on it

Remember to like the OP to get added

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Guys, I had a video saved that had the entire OST of SMRPG on Youtube. I had it in My Favorites, and it was working earlier this year I'm positive, but now it got the Nintendo Ninjas treatment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys, I'm back! So I want to apologize about not being there for the initial hype train, but my insomnia kept me up until 3:30 AM, so when I woke up at 6:30 and then again at 7:30 and I felt like I wanted to die even more than usual, it just wasn't gonna happen.
Oh no are you okay? that sounds kind of bad but I hope you're feeling better now though!

Last edited by a moderator:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
My nephews were over and played minecraft on my computer all day so I'm not able to finish updating the supporter list. I've started though working on it

Remember to like the OP to get added
It honestly makes me happy that kids still like Minecraft. I spent many hours back in middle school just mucking around on severs or making some elaborate structure in survival.
Even back then I was a super nerd and made pixel art structures of the Mario RPG cast in creative. I must’ve had loads of free time back then or something :0

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
No offense, but I can tell you are a casual player.

Zero has already proven you have movement options while in the Command Menu, though they are limited. Also, find me a way that having access to nearly 30 spells would be balanced other than not picking which ones you get.

Your hate for what Sakurai crafts is obnoxious.
Oh p$×& off. What, am I suppose to like every little thing that Sakurai makes? Am I suppose to turn my brain off and just say everything is good. Yeah I'm a casual player, I don't have a main because I play as every character in the roster from Mario to Incineroar, skip the trash that can't be named & Mii Fighters, and Joker & Hero. I already said that other aspect of the Hero are good, but that command list is can get annoying. How would I do it? How about we don't include 21 spells and cut it down to 16 spells, and instead of every time you pull up the command list the spells are group together in a certain order and isn't complete randomness that you have to keep cycling through over & over again just for Snooze to show up. Honestly I would have the command list be set to neutral special and when you select that spell that's what your neutral stay as until you run out of Mana or you cancel it out by pressing Shield & B, and I would balance it out by having Mana not be recoverable when a Command Spell is in place so you can't just have Snooze be equipped all the time, either. I don't hate what Sakurai's make, but not everything he touch turns to gold. RNG is annoying, it's always going to be annoying and no matter what Sakurai does he's never going to make RNG in Smash Bros a good thing. But in your case I guess no matter what Sakurai implement it's absolutely perfect because Sakurai made it.

Look, I'm a fan of Sakurai and there's a good reason why I play majority of the roster in Smash Bros Ultimate, but at least I have the balls to speak my mind on what I think works and doesn't work, because I don't have to like everything that ever makes. I don't give blind compliments just because Sakurai did a thing, such as Very Easy Mode being a thing for World of Light.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oh p$×& off. What, am I suppose to like every little thing that Sakurai makes? Am I suppose to turn my brain off and just say everything is good. Yeah I'm a casual player, I don't have a main because I play as every character in the roster from Mario to Incineroar, skip the trash that can't be named & Mii Fighters, and Joker & Hero. I already said that other aspect of the Hero are good, but that command list is can get annoying. How would I do it? How about we don't include 21 spells and cut it down to 16 spells, and instead of every time you pull up the command list the spells are group together in a certain order and isn't complete randomness that you have to keep cycling through over & over again just for Snooze to show up. Honestly I would have the command list be set to neutral special and when you select that spell that's what your neutral stay as until you run out of Mana or you cancel it out by pressing Shield & B, and I would balance it out by having Mana not be recoverable when a Command Spell is in place so you can't just have Snooze be equipped all the time, either. I don't hate what Sakurai's make, but not everything he touch turns to gold. RNG is annoying, it's always going to be annoying and no matter what Sakurai does he's never going to make RNG in Smash Bros a good thing. But in your case I guess no matter what Sakurai implement it's absolutely perfect because Sakurai made it.

Look, I'm a fan of Sakurai and there's a good reason why I play majority of the roster in Smash Bros Ultimate, but at least I have the balls to speak my mind on what I think works and doesn't work, because I don't have to like everything that ever makes. I don't give blind compliments just because Sakurai did a thing, such as Very Easy Mode being a thing for World of Light.
Not gonna lie, I only read bits and pieces of that because of how much of a wall it was, making it hard to read. However, this is very much YOUR opinion.

Most of us recognize that Sakurai does his absolute damnedest to give us the best he can. When it comes to presentation and movesets, Sakurai goes in, and balance gets adjusted later on (though he is trying to focus on that as well). Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it's bad or that Sakurai did a poor job: it means you don't like it.

Which is fine, you are allowed to not like it.

It just gets rather annoying when all you post is negative stuff. "Don't expect anything", "His chance is really over", "I hate how Sakurai did that", "I could have done better than Sakurai on that." Every time I see you post, I look to see your pfp and my mind immediately says "Oh boy, what pessimistic post is he making THIS time?"

I'm not trying to be mean, just you REALLY don't bring much other than a pessimistic attitude. Maybe reflect on that a bit, my dude?

D

Deleted member

Guys, I had a video saved that had the entire OST of SMRPG on Youtube. I had it in My Favorites, and it was working earlier this year I'm positive, but now it got the Nintendo Ninjas treatment.

Was meaning to ask about this when was the last time you've listened to this specific video? Do you remember? cause this could be very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Not gonna lie, I only read bits and pieces of that because of how much of a wall it was, making it hard to read. However, this is very much YOUR opinion.

Most of us recognize that Sakurai does his absolute damnedest to give us the best he can. When it comes to presentation and movesets, Sakurai goes in, and balance gets adjusted later on (though he is trying to focus on that as well). Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it's bad or that Sakurai did a poor job: it means you don't like it.

Which is fine, you are allowed to not like it.

It just gets rather annoying when all you post is negative stuff. "Don't expect anything", "His chance is really over", "I hate how Sakurai did that", "I could have done better than Sakurai on that." Every time I see you post, I look to see your pfp and my mind immediately says "Oh boy, what pessimistic post is he making THIS time?"

I'm not trying to be mean, just you REALLY don't bring much other than a pessimistic attitude. Maybe reflect on that a bit, my dude?
Yeah and just because you like something doesn't make it good either.

Also how the hell is "don't expect anything" a negative comment? You literally should never expect any certain third party characters to get into Smash Bros. People are morons when they think that characters like Monster Hunter or Steve or whatever are locked and expect them to be in. Is it possible that those characters can get in? Yes, but also possible that Nintendo & Sakurai never thought of including certain third party characters because of how many options are there. Don't expect anything when it come to the last two fighters. I would love for Geno, Doomguy, Dante, Heihachi or whoever to get in, but it would be dumb to expect that to happen.

Also hell no am I ever changing my pessimistic attitude. We need people to remind us that there's a good chance it's not going to happen so we don't get burned again, which is going to happen when this fable Bonus Fighter doesn't happen. If I'm wrong then cool, I lost nothing. If I'm right then you guys lost because ya'll put too much fate that it's going to happen. I support Geno, but you got to be realistic and keep in mind the possible outcome.

I got burned really bad in November and as of now Sakurai hasn't done much for me to stop being pessimistic. (Joker was great, I don't care for Hero, and I'm only happy for the fans of Banjo for his inclusion. Only 1 out of 3 is really doing something for me)

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041

Also how the hell is "don't expect anything" a negative comment? You literally should never expect any certain third party characters to get into Smash Bros. People are morons when they think that characters like Monster Hunter or Steve or whatever are locked and expect them to be in. Is it possible that those characters can get in? Yes, but also possible that Nintendo & Sakurai never thought of including certain third party characters because of how many options are there. Don't expect anything when it come to the last two fighters. I would love for Geno, Doomguy, Dante, Heihachi or whoever to get in, but it would be dumb to expect that to happen.

Also hell no am I ever changing my pessimistic attitude. We need people to remind us that there's a good chance it's not going to happen so we don't get burned again, which is going to happen when this fable Bonus Fighter doesn't happen. If I'm wrong then cool, I lost nothing. If I'm right then you guys lost because ya'll put too much fate that it's going to happen. I support Geno, but you got to be realistic and keep in mind the possible outcome.

I got burned really bad in November and as of now Sakurai hasn't done much for me to stop being pessimistic. (Joker was great, I don't care for Hero, and I'm only happy for the fans of Banjo for his inclusion. Only 1 out of 3 is really doing something for me)
I’m not really sure how complaining all the time is helping everyone keep their expectations in check, but hey, whatever you think works I guess.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What was the thing that was supposed to make people extra salty in this presentation? I mean the way Hero has been implemented has rattled few competitive players, but overall it seems nothing's considered overly egregious by the majority of people.

Especially on the backs of some of the past presentations, this one was received pretty well.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

I feel bad for anyone who believed the Grinch Leak. There was just no way it could ever be true and I warned everyone I talked to about it. Can't say you can really hold a grudge against Sakurai for someone's elaborate prank. Might want to properly redirect your angst about to to the person who tricked you rather than the man who actually breaks himself over delivering us a quality game.

Also, we don't need anyone to remind us about the negatives: as Geno fans, we wake up every day knowing all the pros and cons around his chances. You constantly throwing around pessimistic posts isn't reminding anyone of anything other than reading what you post is a downer. You can continue to do so, by all means, but then you will continue to receive what you have been. I'm not sure if you noticed, but your constantly slew of pessimism really isn't shared by many here. I guess if you feel like you are championing the dark side of the Yin and Yang than keep it up I suppose. Just don't expect anything to really change.

As for your retort, it doesn't really apply: I have no attachment to Hero or Joker and I don't currently own Ultimate or a Switch. I can't give my personal opinion on whether I like them or not, but I can tell you they are very high in quality. Unlike SOME companies that work with Nintendo, Sora Ltd and Sakurai never skimp out when it comes to quality (the only few times we've seen it happen is when something was sacrificed for the quality of another feature, or when Sakurai sacrificed something of himself to get it done). Just because YOU don't like it because of your rather strange levels of pessimism doesn't mean it's unbalanced or broken or of bad or low quality: it means you don't like it.

I literally just showed you how you were wrong about something about Hero: this means you don't know everything there is to know about him. Apparently some people have found spells int he Command Menu that Sakurai didn't show off (not sure how true this is) and the character hasn;t even had 12 hours of lab time by professionals yet, so I'd say maybe you should sit tight on your judgement until Hero has some breathing room and then maybe do some research and then come back with an informed opinion.

What was the thing that was supposed to make people extra salty in this presentation? I mean the way Hero has been implemented has rattled few competitive players, but overall it seems nothing's considered overly egregious by the majority of people.

Especially on the backs of some of the past presentations, this one was received pretty well.
Apparently Hero's Core Mechanic.

Maybe GameFAQs is salty that Geno is still in the running.

Maybe that CPU is salty that Sakurai did him so dirty on video?

Yeah, let's go with that.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Feels like one of those surreal entertainment videos.

“hello I am Geno and I am stuck in this void until Square Enix gives me and Mallow back to our papa at Nintendo or Mr. Sakurai puts us in Smash.” (voice echoes Smash)

“hello I am mii costume Genoooo and I am better than you.” (“Geno” has a drawn out echo)

“oh no please.”

I think the source’s “salty” comment was just him spitballing or saying whatever or something.

Last edited:

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
Hey ForsakenM ForsakenM your post with all the gifs and YouTube videos was great xD especially the last two, how we think we're handling this versus how we're actually handling it. I've been freaking out all day!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
woo it has been 5 years since i joined smashboards and since today is july 31st it also means it has been 3 years since i starter modeling back when i posted Jinx in july 31st 2016 so i made this picture today
unused smrpg battle topo.png

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Seeing all of these interesting mechanics on the DLC fighter (Joker's Persona, Hero's MP concept) it really makes you think that Geno would fit perfectly with the timed hits mechanic.

It's going to be a long road until the next reveal...
You don't think Geno's mechanic could detract from the chance of a Rhythm Paradise character with a similar rhythm mechanic... right?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Really, I don't think that we need people to keep our hype in check. At this stage we all know the chances are slim, yet we choose to believe anyway. Giving up is so passe'. Show me your passion, dammit!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hero is freaking awesome!
I almost unlocked all the DQ content in the game including Mii Costumes, only thing left is the Spirit for the DQXI Party members.

TBone06

Smash Ace
You don't think Geno's mechanic could detract from the chance of a Rhythm Paradise character with a similar rhythm mechanic... right?
It could, but I don’t see why they couldn’t be separate. There is a lot of overlap with a bunch of characters

D

Deleted member

Well, I suppose that now we do the wait for EVO to see if the starling clue pointed to something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom