• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Holy **** he's strong. I hesitate to call a character broken on day one, but I just ko'd an opponent at 40% with hatchet man and he ended at 82%. These specials are insane.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I just wanted to say that I truly am happy that everybody who has been wanting a DQ rep finally got Wizard Link...I mean the Hero. No but seriously even if that destroyed Geno's chances in this game because they're both from Square Enix I couldn't be happier for DQ fans. Congrats to everyone who has been wanting this or just excited to see this happen even if they're not DQ fans.

And I also wanted to say that y'all are just a fine group of individual humans. I realize there were a lot of these kind of posts prior to learning that Geno did not have a Mii costume in at least this part of the fighter pass and I missed the mark there, but I haven't had this much fun discussing video games (online) ever really. Especially in an environment that's so welcoming and respectful. I know I haven't been active on this thread long but I've been a Geno supporter since Melee and it's awesome to talk to like-minded people and a lot of you have the same dumb sense of humor I do which has made this a really fun ride. That's why I'll definitely be sticking around to make dumb jokes with you guys no matter what happens with our boy Geno. Take care everybody I'll cease to be serious now...or did I ever even start?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I played Hero in Classic Mode and he is great! I don't know why some want him banned competitively.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, it's been a while.

Is hope back on the menu, lads?
It is, yep! I'm kinda 50/50 on him right now, but it's a huge step up from the 0% chance I felt he had before.

Also, your icon is one of my favorite pieces of Geno art ever. People often overlook how expressive he can be. His laugh cures diseases and waters crops. Every time Geno laughs, an angel gets its wings.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Happy for the Dragon Quest fans that wanted Hero, I’ll be trying him out later on, but until then, I’ll be playing MUA3 to level up my favorite characters, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Kill la Kill: IF to pass the time. :grin:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Since the info drop is probably going to wind up being EVO, I doubt we'll get another hint. I feel like we got two hints for Banjo because he was making fun of Sabi. She didn't believe "Puzzle Witch" meant anything and then literally posted a bear and bird to sort of rub it in. Ironically, she didn't believe that either.
This is the NoA contact, right? I'm rather incredulous Nintendo will drop anything at EVO, but I suppose we'll see.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Things are definitely looking up since Geno's costume is missing in action. Our boy will come back someday.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I just wanted to say that I will not be purchasing hero...
until thursday, as that's when I get paid. I'm looking forward to trying him out

D

Deleted member

And lol, the Ultimate Social Thread did not bother to tag me at all!

Totally expected, but at least the people here did care about me.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I've been thinking about it and the absent of Geno Mii Costume and I think it probably doesn't mean much to Geno's chances. I hope it does, but maybe after Nintendo got nagged about the Assist Trophies & Mii Costume diconfirming characters in November they probably learn the hard way that nobody like these types of compromise. So they most like stop making Mii Costume of requested character because they realize they're rubbing salt in the wound instead of offering a loving present.

D

Deleted member

Congrats on getting your dude! What do you think of him? Cause I hope you're enjoying the dude.
I’m right now practicing with him a bit.

Slowly going from level 4 cpus up to lvl9 ones.

It will take some time but soon I’ll control him pretty well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I just got done with classic mode with 8. I've enjoyed him so far, though trying to beat the last part of the Spirit Board is a pain in the ass

D

Deleted member

I’m right now practicing with him a bit.

Slowly going from level 4 cpus up to lvl9 ones.

It will take some time but soon I’ll control him pretty well.
Yeah Hero certainly has a learning curve especially since he has RNG but he's pretty fun and for having RNG in his moveset I find it quite enjoyable!

I'm currently playing him as we speak and landing Magic Burst and Kamikazes are so satisfying. I like the dude a surprising amount.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I downloaded Hero, immediately tried Hocus Pocus on my first match, got turned huge, first Smash attack was a crit, literally killed the other fighter at 0%. 10/10 would Hero again.

He’s not ever going to be easy to play or dependable in terms of those down B spells, they’re hard to pull off, but goddamn, he’s fun as **** when you play him.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
You know that scene in Avengers Endgame where everyone comes through the Doctor Strange portals for the final battle?

This feels like that. All it took for everyone to come back was just a little bit of hope (and some help from Sakurai’s epic gamer smash montage. did you see how he played hero?! he could win evo with those skills!)

But all things aside, it’s good to see everyone again :)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I used Snooze followed by Thwack at 30% and got it. I broke a shield with hatchet man and followed with an Oomph Forward Smash Crit...The unpredictable nature of Hero is insane gang.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Man, a lot of stuff happened.

In the end, Geno was NOT a costume and the Hero is here. Woof.

Welp, I did say to not rise your expectations but keep them in check and while it is so with this last presentation which was quite endearing even if it was with no script (Sakurai Is so likable that it just works) and we got to see couple of things with Hero like the moveset, the stage and every thing else that a lot already know (I might try him later since I just returned from homework and I need rest).

Overall, he seems like a fun character.

In some shape or form this might be a good spot to be for now.

That bit of two songs per hero and the two copyrighted SMRPG songs is telling. (Final Fantasy is livid, I guess~)

My opinion remains on that just wait and see and don't overhype yourself to not repeat any Smash 4 situation, guys. There were many and they were sad.

But at least, things are looking good which is a good thing to say at this point.

:bowser::starman:.

D

Deleted member

I’m beating a good number of lvl9 CPUs as Hero.

So I officially mastered the character!

TBone06

Smash Ace
I downloaded Hero, immediately tried Hocus Pocus on my first match, got turned huge, first Smash attack was a crit, literally killed the other fighter at 0%. 10/10 would Hero again.

He’s not ever going to be easy to play or dependable in terms of those down B spells, they’re hard to pull off, but goddamn, he’s fun as **** when you play him.
My lord is he a fun and creative character. You’re right, the down B makes it tough, but he is tons of fun. I already faced off against one online. My K Rool floats between 5-5.1M and I beat him pretty bad. But it wasn’t a fair match up. I can see people new to Hero having a tough go. This will take some time to master. Regardless, another fantastic DLC product.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
While no mii costume is promising not to much increase in chance for two reasons

One square is a little picky know ping little more on the’re way

Second the Chocobo costume is missing too

Oh we do have yet another leak potentially revealing the other 2

It’s monster hunter and doom guy

The catch is he named the dragon quest rep as hero and named the alt costumes perfectly (main heroes from DQ 3/4/8/11)

And also got banjo and kazooie correct

And it was posted back in December 2018

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Whelp, Hero is downloaded on my Switch to check out later.

The Megaman main in me is scared of his existance, but the part of me that likes new characters is happy!

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
While no mii costume is promising not to much increase in chance for two reasons

One square is a little picky know ping little more on the’re way

Second the Chocobo costume is missing too

Oh we do have yet another leak potentially revealing the other 2

It’s monster hunter and doom guy

The catch is he named the dragon quest rep as hero and named the alt costumes perfectly (main heroes from DQ 3/4/8/11)

And also got banjo and kazooie correct

And it was posted back in December 2018
That was already shut down

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
As in the actual conversation? Several people can vouch it happened. Rummy Rummy would you be willing to do one? I'd probably mess it up somehow and blow their cover.
'A certain agitator, for the sake of privacy, let's call her Lisa S. No, no, that's too obvious. Let's say L Simpson.'

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Totally agree, Hero is a blast to play. I really dig the MP concept and find that Hero, although similar, still feels unique from Robin. The visual effects are pretty darn great too. I love the trail of flames left behind by a fully charged neutral B. Also as an old school Dragonball fan, I can’t help but find myself spamming Up Taunt. Now I really can’t wait for Banjo and am really hoping that Geno finds his way in. Sakurai and his team have done it again, and I can only imagine how awesome Geno could be.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Seeing all of these interesting mechanics on the DLC fighter (Joker's Persona, Hero's MP concept) it really makes you think that Geno would fit perfectly with the timed hits mechanic.

It's going to be a long road until the next reveal...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
People are saying Hero has a huge learning curve? Either that's bull**** or I just found my soulmate character. Because I jumped right in against level 9 computers after training mode and have been consistently 3-0 ing them from the very first match. And I generally suck at smash. He seemed like basically easy mode to me, and the more powerful moves seem far too easy to land. Are you guys sure he's not just crazy overpowered?

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Seeing all of these interesting mechanics on the DLC fighter (Joker's Persona, Hero's MP concept) it really makes you think that Geno would fit perfectly with the timed hits mechanic.

It's going to be a long road until the next reveal...
If the timed hits would just add damage/knockout factor (sorry, got lapsus atm lol), that would be a hell to balance.
Let's say that, for the sake of this example, all characters are balanced (looking at you, Ken!)

Geno would have 2 states, say, "untimed attack" and "timed attack". If one of them is balanced, the other would be unpowered or overpowered.
So, if balanced around timed hits, and a pro player masters them, then casual players who haven't would have an underperforming character.
On the other hand, if balanced on untimed hits, a casual player would have it just fine, but competitive would have it very overpowered and that could break it.

So, is there anything I'm missing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom