• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I have a question for all of you that is partial sparked from that Darth Vader discussion we had a while back. Let's say you were given the choice to choose one non-video game character into Smash and you have been told that the agreement with the character you chose would be very exclusive, so it is legally impossible for any more non-video game characters to appear after this one(So no floodgates would be open), who would you pick and why?
That's a legitimately difficult question just because of how many cool and amazing characters you could potentially have cross over with Smash. I'm a huge Batman fan, so I'd be very likely to pick him (And if we got Kevin Conroy to do the voice lines, that'd be ****ing amazing, maybe with a Mark Hamill Joker guest in something?).

I've also become a really big fan of One Piece in the last year, so I'd love to see Luffy join as the "Shonen" representative. He's easily one of the most interesting protagonists from an abilities perspective and while he's not my favorite One Piece character, he'd be so cool to see a move set based around him. He'd basically be the ARMS rep we never got, but actually cool :grin: and with more abilities to work with. I never understood Goku beyond Dragon Ball's obvious legacy. Like he absolutely represents something incredible, but out of actual abilities in Shonen manga, he's not all that interesting.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised if audio of the announcer shouting "Geno" exists or existed somewhere.

According to Xander Modus (the announcer), he was given a list of several names to announce for recordings, so he wouldn't know which of the characters make the actual roster. He mentioned this in regards to the fake Smash 4 Rayman leak, where he recorded "RAYMAN" previously and so believed the fake leak.
Oof...that just...that just hurts. I'm not sure if you should be happy about this or sad, but I choose to look at it in the sense that Rayman was a big enough deal that he was chosen as a fake name. Hell, with the knowledge of the blank slots in Smash 4, I feel like there coudl have easily been plans for more characters, but the flop of the WiiU and timing of the Switch and Ultimate's deadlines trashed those plans. Shoutouts to all the Rayman fans out there, don't give up guys! Some day, Smash character will catch those disembodied hands!

God, I hope that if Geno gets in, Xander just voiced it with as much oomph as you can give a four-letter name. I want him to poor his soul and personal take on it, like how he did some of my favs in Smash 4 ("Bowser...Jr?" and "Greninja!" are my favorites) and he sounds triumphant as ****! Fun fact: I just watched a video covering Xander's take on all the characters in Ultimate, King K Rool gets me and "InnnnCINAROOARrrr.." is by far the best imo.

That's a legitimately difficult question just because of how many cool and amazing characters you could potentially have cross over with Smash. I'm a huge Batman fan, so I'd be very likely to pick him (And if we got Kevin Conroy to do the voice lines, that'd be ****ing amazing, maybe with a Mark Hamill Joker guest in something?).

I've also become a really big fan of One Piece in the last year, so I'd love to see Luffy join as the "Shonen" representative. He's easily one of the most interesting protagonists from an abilities perspective and while he's not my favorite One Piece character, he'd be so cool to see a move set based around him. He'd basically be the ARMS rep we never got, but actually cool :grin: and with more abilities to work with. I never understood Goku beyond Dragon Ball's obvious legacy. Like he absolutely represents something incredible, but out of actual abilities in Shonen manga, he's not all that interesting.
He is the grand-daddy of modern Shounen anime. He made transformations a thing, he made training a thing, he made growing up and training timeskips a thing, he made beam struggles a thing...who the **** wants a rubber-body boy who's a pirate who can't even swim and has the most extreme artstyle for a shounen that takes itself seriously AND is taking way to long to finish that it's giving Detective Conan a run for it's money when you can have mother ****ing Goku.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, we have both Robin and Joker in Smash already, so why not?:laugh:
Now I really want a purple and green alt for Joker. Wont happen in Smash, but perhaps in the next Arena game. Arcsys did give a Joker alt to Hazama.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Oof...that just...that just hurts. I'm not sure if you should be happy about this or sad, but I choose to look at it in the sense that Rayman was a big enough deal that he was chosen as a fake name. Hell, with the knowledge of the blank slots in Smash 4, I feel like there coudl have easily been plans for more characters, but the flop of the WiiU and timing of the Switch and Ultimate's deadlines trashed those plans. Shoutouts to all the Rayman fans out there, don't give up guys! Some day, Smash character will catch those disembodied hands!

God, I hope that if Geno gets in, Xander just voiced it with as much oomph as you can give a four-letter name. I want him to poor his soul and personal take on it, like how he did some of my favs in Smash 4 ("Bowser...Jr?" and "Greninja!" are my favorites) and he sounds triumphant as ****! Fun fact: I just watched a video covering Xander's take on all the characters in Ultimate, King K Rool gets me and "InnnnCINAROOARrrr.." is by far the best imo.

He is the grand-daddy of modern Shounen anime. He made transformations a thing, he made training a thing, he made growing up and training timeskips a thing, he made beam struggles a thing...who the **** wants a rubber-body boy who's a pirate who can't even swim and has the most extreme artstyle for a shounen that takes itself seriously AND is taking way to long to finish that it's giving Detective Conan a run for it's money when you can have mother ****ing Goku.
I mean yeah, he's the granddaddy. He deserves the same respect that I give to something like Dragon Quest. Absolutely deserving and pretty cool potential, and he's responsible for a great many fans of anime in the states and those who grew up with Toonami.

Doesn't mean I don't want the more interesting character that's less important and more personally relevant to me (Geno and Luffy to take the comparison all the way).

I don't want to devolve into a Shounen anime debate. But I will defend One Piece as the most creative of the mainline Shounen anime with so many cool abilities and characters. The extreme artstyle just plays into that and makes me love the series. It just visually does lots of really cool things and does a really good job of diversifying a gigantic cast. It may be entirely too massive and ongoing, but it's one of the few fantasy worlds that I think has earned that respect after Oda did a genuinely great job of world building and establishing lots of interesting pieces to work with.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have a question for all of you that is partial sparked from that Darth Vader discussion we had a while back. Let's say you were given the choice to choose one non-video game character into Smash and you have been told that the agreement with the character you chose would be very exclusive, so it is legally impossible for any more non-video game characters to appear after this one(So no floodgates would be open), who would you pick and why?
Goku, no question. Most highly requested and also is a major character icon with a massive history in gaming in general. Mickey Mouse is a nice secondary choice, though.

D

Deleted member

Mike Tyson from Mike Tyson's Punch Out, baby!

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Give me Dark Magician in Smash so I can prove, once and for all, that Yugioh is the superior card game to the Pokémon TCG.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I mean yeah, he's the granddaddy. He deserves the same respect that I give to something like Dragon Quest. Absolutely deserving and pretty cool potential, and he's responsible for a great many fans of anime in the states and those who grew up with Toonami.

Doesn't mean I don't want the more interesting character that's less important and more personally relevant to me (Geno and Luffy to take the comparison all the way).

I don't want to devolve into a Shounen anime debate. But I will defend One Piece as the most creative of the mainline Shounen anime with so many cool abilities and characters. The extreme artstyle just plays into that and makes me love the series. It just visually does lots of really cool things and does a really good job of diversifying a gigantic cast. It may be entirely too massive and ongoing, but it's one of the few fantasy worlds that I think has earned that respect after Oda did a genuinely great job of world building and establishing lots of interesting pieces to work with.
That's great, but the anime is still suffering from doing a single chapter per episode and the story is taking way too long besides that issue.

Also the powers are not really all the unique: MHA also has a wide-array of Quirks, HxH has crazy powers and abilities, and pretty much every power you could think of has been done in comics prior. The only thing really unique about One Piece is that it's a pirate manga/anime since no one else seems to bother to touch that genre for some reason despite pirates being super cool and the art style seems to be rather unique to Oda...but that can be said about any manga-ka really.

Also, please do not compare DB and DQ: Dragon Quest is no where near Dragon Ball in terms of popularity. In fact, if DQ had a fraction of the popularity in the West that DB does I could actually see justification for it's inclusion in Smash.

Not here to **** on your taste in anime, just pointing out that One Piece isn't a new-age amazing thing. It's good, but nothing all that ground-breaking...whereas DB was ground-breaking and will remain long after One Piece, Naruto/Boruto, Bleach and MHA die off completely.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Sakurai Himself.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
None.

I'm a fundamentalist in that regard.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shaq, of Shaq Fu fame.

:yeahboi:

Self-explanatory.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That's great, but the anime is still suffering from doing a single chapter per episode and the story is taking way too long besides that issue.

Also the powers are not really all the unique: MHA also has a wide-array of Quirks, HxH has crazy powers and abilities, and pretty much every power you could think of has been done in comics prior. The only thing really unique about One Piece is that it's a pirate manga/anime since no one else seems to bother to touch that genre for some reason despite pirates being super cool and the art style seems to be rather unique to Oda...but that can be said about any manga-ka really.

Also, please do not compare DB and DQ: Dragon Quest is no where near Dragon Ball in terms of popularity. In fact, if DQ had a fraction of the popularity in the West that DB does I could actually see justification for it's inclusion in Smash.

Not here to **** on your taste in anime, just pointing out that One Piece isn't a new-age amazing thing. It's good, but nothing all that ground-breaking...whereas DB was ground-breaking and will remain long after One Piece, Naruto/Boruto, Bleach and MHA die off completely.
I mean, the reason I compare DQ and DB are because they’re both similiarly influential to their respective genres and a big deal because of that. Nothing to do with their actually popularity in specific places, but they’re both absolutely granddaddies to the console RPG market and the Shounen anime/manga genres and communities.

I think they’re a perfect comparison honestly in terms of legacy to genre. The only difference being that DB did take off in the States, while DQ did not. And both deserve absolute recognition in that regard.

Again my personal tastes line-up elsewhere, but I absolutely see the positives to representing the major steps and influences to other things as well. I’m also infinitely more interested in most of the other anime (and specially the manga where One Piece fares much, much better because Toei animation is awful most of the time) of the other titles you named than Dragon Ball. I have no problem with DB or DBZ and I do enjoy a good amount of it, but it fails to capture me on a personal level like many others do. That’s just my opinion though on which anime I like better, and if you wanna talk about it further, PM me so we don’t force Anime more specially in the thread haha.

Edit: and just to be clear, DB has a greater overall impact than DQ, but they’re both influencers and I hold interest in them being represented as influencers. And to probably make matters worse I’m probably overall more interested in DQ than DB hahaha.

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
In this kind of hypothetical scenario, I’d go with Mickey Mouse. Iconic and beloved character that is no stranger to video games, and could potentially fill the KH rep slot without really filling the SE slot.

Other potentials could be Goku, Mike Tyson, Reggie, and James Bond.

domriver

Smash Lord
Power Rangers Universe but only limited up to Power Rangers In-Space series. The rest do not even mention. LOL :p

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Popeye without a doubt:

1. One of the most iconic cartoon characters around the world for almost a century.

2. Was basically one of the bigger inspirations for Mario.

3. Absolutely begging to be in a fighting game.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice

I don't know. I've never heard of food powers being used as serious and threatening weapons outside of One Piece.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Ideally, none. I'm a bit of a traditionalist in that sense. I like the theme that Smash has going.

If I had to though
Tangle the Lemur.png

LOOPHOLE
Technically a comic book character, still a Sonic character. I think Tangle's really neat. I'll take the Sonic comic stuff making it's way into video games in almost any form.
Plus a new Sonic rep, so that's also nice.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Bruce Lee because he’s a martial arts legend. I’d also choose Django (Django 1966) or The Man With No Name (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly) because a cowboy character would be unique and different.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Popeye without a doubt:

1. One of the most iconic cartoon characters around the world for almost a century.

2. Was basically one of the bigger inspirations for Mario.

3. Absolutely begging to be in a fighting game.
This. Popeye would be perfect and was the original Mario if im not mistaken.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Mickey

Simply because his video game resume is so impressive, he would justify it based on that. Plus he's such a massive icon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Power Rangers Universe but only limited up to Power Rangers In-Space series. The rest do not even mention. LOL :p
Why you dissing Lost Galaxy, mang. Best showing of the Psycho Rangers and the darkest yet, having tons of characters outright killed. To the point that the actress for Kendrix got better in time to be revived. They were intending to having a full human death with ifs, ands, or buts. Made even better by the realization another (well, kind of a ranger) died in battle, and so did his son. It's a crazy thing.

I mean, yeah, some of the Rangers had horrid acting(Kai was just plain awful, easily), but it was still an amazing sequel to In Space. Really, it's Wild Force that dropped the ball. Lightspeed Rescue and Time Force were amazing. It doesn't matter that it was the first of the Zordon era. The awesomeness didn't really end till Wild Force went too far into the cheesiness(yet still had a lot of blatant characters deaths too. In fact, the only major deaths started once In Space came around, where it wasn't simply a monster being destroyed. Became rather obvious with one character having multiple "lives" to further drive it home he's done for).

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
You always ask the most interesting questions, Earl.

I was going to say Popeye, but Fatmanonice beat me to the job. I have to go with Spider-Man, one of the most loved superheroes that would represent Marvel. If this were real, Sakurai gives Stan Lee the option to choose any of his superheroes to join Smash, and so he chooses his most loved superhero: Spider-Man. Tobey Maguire would voice him, and Spider-Man's design/character would be Spider-Man from Sam Raimi's trilogy; Stan Lee's favorite superhero movie was Spider-Man from 2002, so that would be the reason for Spider-Man's design being based off of Sam's Spider-Man. (Sam Raimi's Spider-Man is also my favorite.)

“He’s the best loved all over the world, and that makes me very happy.”
-Stan Lee, 2012

domriver

Smash Lord
Why you dissing Lost Galaxy, mang. Best showing of the Psycho Rangers and the darkest yet, having tons of characters outright killed. To the point that the actress for Kendrix got better in time to be revived. They were intending to having a full human death with ifs, ands, or buts. Made even better by the realization another (well, kind of a ranger) died in battle, and so did his son. It's a crazy thing.

I mean, yeah, some of the Rangers had horrid acting(Kai was just plain awful, easily), but it was still an amazing sequel to In Space. Really, it's Wild Force that dropped the ball. Lightspeed Rescue and Time Force were amazing. It doesn't matter that it was the first of the Zordon era. The awesomeness didn't really end till Wild Force went too far into the cheesiness(yet still had a lot of blatant characters deaths too. In fact, the only major deaths started once In Space came around, where it wasn't simply a monster being destroyed. Became rather obvious with one character having multiple "lives" to further drive it home he's done for).
The way In-Space ended felt like a wrap to the power rangers series. ( by the way was a great ending /story/twist/etc) I was meh regarding the other series. The one with Venjix is it Lightspeed? was ok. Mystic Force was pretty good. :D

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The way In-Space ended felt like a wrap to the power rangers series. ( by the way was a great ending /story/twist/etc) I was meh regarding the other series. The one with Venjix is it Lightspeed? was ok. Mystic Force was pretty good. :D
Venjix is in R.P.M. Way later. A similar character appeared in a one-off episode of Wild Force that was probably non-canon(mostly due to a lot of errors. Serpenterra was wayyyyyyyyyyyy too small. No way even a Battleizer could easily defeat it. Even with the power level increase, it should still survive. A lot of powers were outright lost as well, though we know it's possible to repower them as Operation Overdrive proved. It's mostly the Serpenterra part, though).

In-Space was intended as a wrap-up, but it's more wrapping up the original team and Zordon stuff. It never overall wrapped up PR as a whole. PR as a series works too differently from that. Good and Evil will always exist due to the Morphing Grid existing. If one or the other is gone, it ceases to exist. It's a catch-22.

I'd honestly starting watching the others on Netflix. There's a lot of problematic writing(Lost Galaxy had some horrible parts when it came to the Lights of Orion, though once that ends, it gets wayyyyyyyy better. And it still has good moments too. It had tons of behind-the-scenes issues), though Lightspeed Rescue was really good. Wild Force is cheesy but actually has good writing for its green aesop. There's no massively dumb errors either. Like, it's not some great masterpiece of writing design, but it's not like it's full of continuity errors, completely stupid things for people to say(some things said do sound technically stupid, but they make sense in-character). It's not until the Neo-Saban era(Samurai and Megaforce only) that we actually have truly bad writing, lack of character development, and awful ideas as is(you only have some of those in a few seasons at best before that). Even if some translations kind of work at times. Basically, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, Wild Force, Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder are all good. Mystic Force isn't particularly stupid or anything, but it had to use too much of the source material which means the Red Ranger gets more focus than he deserves realistically. Literally tied to the red string. There's effectively two Red Rangers(Dino Thunder kind of suffers from the fact the Triassic Ranger in the Super Sentai looks too much like the Red one, so a joke about the Red Ranger getting too many power ups exists) as well. Operation Overdrive is just... kind of boring. I mean, it's not bad by any means so much as it isn't exciting compared to other seasons. The only real mistake they made was making the black ranger a professional thief. The actor took that too personally and stole something from Moprhicon, pretty much making things worse. He was otherwise an actual great character with an unfortunate role combination(despite the character's point is that he tested security systems as a job). Jungle Fury and R.P.M. are rather good overall. No real issues. R.P.M. even went to the point of using unavoidable factors of the Super Sentai to justify different translated explanations(like the zords having moving eyes being more of a thing for the Rangers to actually see properly through the zord's "eyes" instead). Or reusing the name Go-Onger for a vehicle. Another is making the Falcon Zord(which is an actual chicken zord in the Super Sentai) joked about looking like a chicken. The last quirk of the Super Sentai is why there were 3 kinds of morphers, but it doesn't seem like it was delved into at all in the Super Sentai anyway(at least the PR version noted that they were made separately, justifying the differences).

...And no, I am unsure of where else to take this, but if anybody knows a better topic, I'll gladly move it there.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Shaq, of Shaq Fu fame.

:yeahboi:

Self-explanatory.
Oh my god, why am I getting so many bad (or hilariously bad) victory quotes in my head. Maybe I'm just that big of a NBA fan.

"Hey Charles*, now it's your turn to shut up and jam!"
"The Big Aristotle Strikes again!" *Backboard breaking sound*
"You should learn, from the Superman!" *Proceeds to trip and fall over*
(Winning versus Mario characters) *In a really bad Italian accent* "You've been Shaqtin-a Fooled! Eh?"
(Winning versus Sonic) "Unlike you, I earned my rings!"

I'll see myself out now.

(Half-)Seriously though:

I'm decently open to non video game characters compared to most, but I still have a lot of reservations really. I've talked about it before, but my views have changed a bit upon further reflection. As long as they're kept to a video game theme and they're not "floodgate-d" (easier said than done, admittedly) I'll be okay with them. Like one non-video game character per 50-75ish characters maybe? That way it's not likely that we'll see a bloated select screen.

I do feel that a non-video game character's likely eventually. Likely one of the massive showstoppers, to really sell people on Smash once obvious video game icons start to kinda dry up (we're already running out of obvious Japanese video game icons AFAIK. Could be wrong admittedly.). Such as Goku or Darth Vader. For the record, I'm thinking Smash 6, 7 and beyond. If James Bond was just briefly considered, then it's not completely out of the question. The biggest hurdle "4th parties" have is of course legal troubles - James Bond was swiftly rejected partly because of Brosnan's likeness, according to Sakurai. Not every "4th party" has that problem (refferring to an actor's likeness that changes) though. EDIT: Imagine Smash 64 and Melee with Brosnan's Bond - then Sakurai has to negotiate for Craig's by Brawl. Now that's a legal nightmare.

Anyway, only one huh?

I'll choose Batman, partly due to the above stated reasons by EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman . But also because the Bat has tons of ways to build him. Do you go with close quarters mainly? Projectile and item-based? You can also literally go with almost (don't go with Crazy Steve. Ever) every single personality with him. Personally I favor the Arkham take because its a very influential video game series.

As for close runners-up, I'll go with Jotaro as my Manga / Anime rep, Vader as my film rep, and Donald Duck as my cartoon rep.

*(Charles Barkley, fellow 90s NBA Superstar and co-worker with Shaq on Inside the NBA. Also has a video game along with Shaq and Michael Jordan -also, stars in the bizzarely epic Godzilla vs. Barkley comic.)

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Purely nostaglia pick, but Buzz Lightyear.

A moveset derived from the Toy Story 2 3D-plaftformer (this will only make sense to those who have played the game lmao):

Neutral B = Lazer: Normally red, much like Fox's Neutral B. Can be charged if held for a green lazer with stronger knockback.
Side B = Wing-spin: Either hits once, causing minor knockback on opponent, or can be charged if held for a powerful spinning move similar to Dr Mario's Down B, only stronger and with a few frames after vulnerable, with a dizzy animation.
Up B = Rocket boots: Shoots Buzz upwards fast diagonally. Burns opponents if connected.
Down B = Cosmic shield: Briefly activates a blue cosmic shield which reflects projectiles but makes Buzz slow and worse at jumping.

Final Smash = Falling with style: Buzz shouts "to infinity, AND BEYOND", rocketing upwards, before realising he is a toy, and spectacularly plummeting down in an explosion on the fighters.

Bonus = Has a teather grab in the form of a grappling hook.

(God the Toy Story 2 game on PS1, N64, Dreamcast and PC was classic, I can still hear Buzz's "WOAAAH" cries when falling from the top of the tree level).

D

Deleted member

Purely nostaglia pick, but Buzz Lightyear.

A moveset derived from the Toy Story 2 3D-plaftformer (this will only make sense to those who have played the game lmao):

Neutral B = Lazer: Normally red, much like Fox's Neutral B. Can be charged if held for a green lazer with stronger knockback.
Side B = Wing-spin: Either hits once, causing minor knockback on opponent, or can be charged if held for a powerful spinning move similar to Dr Mario's Down B, only stronger and with a few frames after vulnerable, with a dizzy animation.
Up B = Rocket boots: Shoots Buzz upwards fast diagonally. Burns opponents if connected.
Down B = Cosmic shield: Briefly activates a blue cosmic shield which reflects projectiles but makes Buzz slow and worse at jumping.

Final Smash = Falling with style: Buzz shouts "to infinity, AND BEYOND", rocketing upwards, before realising he is a toy, and spectacularly plummeting down in an explosion on the fighters.

Bonus = Has a teather grab in the form of a grappling hook.

(God the Toy Story 2 game on PS1, N64, Dreamcast and PC was classic, I can still hear Buzz's "WOAAAH" cries when falling from the top of the tree level).
I never realized how much I wanted Buzz in Smash until now.

I'd like him and Zorro to be in. Never going to happen, but still pretty rad to think about.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Very good question. I have 4 candidates, and I don't know which one I would choose.
I can't explain the reasoning behind each of them right now, but I hope tomorrow I'll have time and remember to return here to explain them, so bear with me.
But my 4 candidates are:

Darth Vader (Star Wars)

Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Mickey Mouse (Fantasia)

Usagi Tsukino, a.k.a., Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Out of all the anime I've watched, One Piece is arguably the best and most unique manga/anime I've ever seen, and it's currently my favorite anime; the show is definitely ground-breaking. I am caught up with the anime and I am aware of the manga but do not read it, however, I know the manga is about to get into one of the most intense wars in the whole story of One Piece, and this incoming war has been built up longer than when DBS first aired. Oda, the creator of One Piece, is a man who gets 3 hours of sleep everyday and almost never stops working, and he forcefully has to take breaks so he doesn't get sick or die. Oda's been at it for over 20 years now, constantly drawing, and he's over 80% done with One Piece already. Oda and One Piece has been through a lot, it's insane... I can't thank Oda enough.
I say Dragon Ball Z is on par with One Piece. I like DBZ much better than DBS, but the problem with DBS is the power scaling and plot holes. I do agree that Dragon Ball Z will remain as more memorable and WILL definitely last for a very long time, but Dragon Ball Super will probably be forgotten before DBZ does, not because of the nostalgia, but because a lot of DB fans despise it due to its weird writing. I've watched all of DBS, still am since I watch the dub as well, and some of the story confuses the hell out of me. I want to know how Zeno made his way to the throne, I want to see the origin of Beerus and Whis, I don't want to constantly keep watching episodes where it keeps showing fights and zero character development; the character that has had the best character development in the whole series is Vegeta, which is one of the reasons why he's my favorite. One Piece shows character development; Oda carefully shows how strong characters can get through the story and while during fights.

Goku vs. Jiren was amazing, but Luffy vs. Katakuri was better because the fight showed how Luffy improved throughout the fight; I agree that the fight was dragged out for a long time in both the manga and anime, but that's because Oda needed to show Luffy's development and improvement while he was fighting Katakuri. People don't understand that the fights aren't just about strength, it's mostly about progression.

It, too, bothers me when One Piece gets behind and only uses one chapter for each episode now, but the good news is One Piece isn't going to have a filler after Whole Cake Island Arc, it's going straight to the Reverie Arc. I hear things about Toei Animation's employees being overworked and underpaid, which is probably why the animation gets bad or why arcs are being dragged out for too long. Now that DBS is returning soon, the animation might go back to being weird. If Toei did Dressrosa back during the Alabasta days, my guess is Dressrosa would be about the same length as Alabasta, if not, a little bit longer. I do miss the animation from 2007, back when the Enies Lobby Arc was going on. I think One Piece really needs the same color/artwork filter DBS got when it entered Episode 77+.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Non video game characters? Let's go historical. Abraham Lincoln (possibly a vampire hunter) and Nikolai Tesla.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Abraham Lincoln's a videogame character, he's from Codename: S.T.E.A.M.
And also a real person. There's the video game specific version of him and the actual real life person. They're quite separated. One definitely doesn't have all kinds of various tools, while the other is a video game character.

Pretty safe to say they meant the real person, not a video game character based upon him.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And also a real person. There's the video game specific version of him and the actual real life person. They're quite separated. One definitely doesn't have all kinds of various tools, while the other is a video game character.

Pretty safe to say they meant the real person, not a video game character based upon him.
I think it's safe to say that the person you're replying to was joking.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it's safe to say that the person you're replying to was joking.
And you're about to get a PM about this. That said, do you want me to continue from our previous one or a new one? Your choice, of course. Further details on the issue there too, since it's nobody's business in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom