• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Somehow, being distanced from Smashboards just made me feel even more depressed, so I guess I'll pop back in here to remark about the WoL slots.

Very interesting. 15 seems a more reasonable number than 30, and considering it's for WoL and not character models, I'm guessing that alts don't count in that 15. It's very nice. Hopefully Nintendo allows Sakurai to make some picks, in which case we might still get our boy, but man...

My hopes are just dwindling again. It's kinda sad, but I feel like I've just given up hope, this time permanently. Hang in there, y'all. I'll keep rooting for my boy, but sorry in advance for being particularly pessimistic about his chances now.
I'm feeling very pessimistic about Geno's chances today. Square doesn't really care about Geno at all and if they see an easy way to get money they'll do it, Porting the Geno Mii costume is as such. NoJ likely doesn't care about Geno either so the only one who really cares is Sakurai and he's not choosing the DLC.

I dunno I just feel very pessimistic today, My hope for Geno is kind of running out of steam.
You guys need to stop being so pesimistic right now. We still don't know the identities of the remaining 4 characters in the season pass. As we've discussed into exhaustive detail, Erdrick is no guarentee given all the contradictory information we've gotten since "Brave" was leaked. Until all of them are revealed, I'm not saying it's game over.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You guys need to stop being so pesimistic right now. We still don't know the identities of the remaining 4 characters in the season pass. As we've discussed into exhaustive detal, Erdrick is no guarentee given all the contradictory information we've gotten since "Brave" was leaked. Until all of them are revealed, I'm not saying it's game over.
Exactly. The folks here have spent so much time speculating on this forum that they've completely burned themselves out. They ought to take a break from it for a few months, go for some fresh air, hang out with people, anything other than assume fate has just done this to them:

I still find it really silly that people do so much doomsaying when there's only one. Single. Character revealed.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Exactly. The folks here have spent so much time speculating on this forum that they've completely burned themselves out. They ought to take a break from it for a few months, go for some fresh air, hang out with people, anything other than assume fate has just done this to them:

I still find it really silly that people do so much doomsaying when there's only one. Single. Character revealed.
I don't think leaving will help much either, as Ovaltine Ovaltine did say that staying away from the site only made things worse. Maybe the best thing to do is shift your focus on this site? Look at other avenues other than newcomer speculation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think leaving will help much either, as Ovaltine Ovaltine did say that staying away from the site only made things worse. Maybe the best thing to do is shift your focus on this site? Look at other avenues other than newcomer speculation.
I'm not sure how much playing forum games will help, but it's a start:

https://smashboards.com/threads/add...s-going-to-be-one-weird-story-to-read.464402/

Maybe even talking about something other than Smash (in different threads, that is) would be helpful.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm aware that 10 is pushing it, but you can't forget that this is practically the most sold Switch and Smash Brothers game to date, and it's probably going to reach over 20 million sales; in other words, it's a success and there's no doubt that more DLC means more money for Nintendo. A lot of people bought all the DLC for Smash 3DS/Wii U: casual fans, hardcore fans, haters who weren't even pleased with the DLC, and Smash pros. It'd be surprising if there were only five DLC characters. Even if there are people who aren't satisfied with the DLC, there will still be others buying it. Once the five DLC characters are done, there will be fans wanting more.

This is the ULTIMATE Smash Brothers, there's definitely going to be more, and we aren't going to be getting another Smash game until 6-10 more years, well, possibly at least 10 years, according to Sakurai. The first five DLC characters and another five DLC characters should last until 2022, which is about 3-4 years right there and should be enough to please everybody until the next Smash game; this also seems like the fair amount for the rest of the Switch's life span.
I appreciate the optimism, but I'd like to counter a couple things. The main thing to consider I think when it comes to DLC for Ultimate. When we finish up this cycle next year in early 2020, Sakurai will have been exclusively working on Smash for 8 years without a break. He started Smash 4 in April 2012 and immediately started Ultimate after finishing the DLC for Smash 4. The man just hasn't had a break from Smash in almost an entire decade. I wouldn't at all surprised to see him walk away to flex his creative muscles elsewhere or even just simply want a lengthy break all around.

Also, the Ultimate Smash excuse has gotten far too many people into trouble for believing the game to be something it's not. Ultimate was just the name for all of the content coming back and I think that Japanese title of "Special" works better for the game whereas Ultimate brings up far too many false expectations I think.

And with the way Smash has sold already coupled with how games that receive practically no support have continued selling, I think Nintendo would be more than content to just have Smash as another evergreen title that they can keep selling without having to pump more resources into it. I'd love more DLC than just one Fighter's Pass, but I think we'll be extremely lucky to get a second season even if we do.

I think there will be two more Smash games after Ultimate and then that's it, it's over. Fans are going to keep asking for more Smash games after Ultimate, but you know that saying of "All good things must come to an end." I'd even be fine if Ultimate was the final game. Call me crazy, but before Sakurai retires, I think he'll make one final Smash game where:

• Every veteran will return once again.
    • Assuming there will be one Smash game after Ultimate and a lot of characters are probably going to be cut from the game, and they'll be wanted again, and how awesome would it be if the cut characters made a return again after many years?
    • The negotiations for the third-parties are going to be hell, I know, but after the previous Smash game Sakurai knows this would be such an amazing way to surprise the **** out of your fans, make them happy, and a great way to end the best gaming crossover series.
    • There will be newcomers, but a majority of them will probably be first-party.
  • Make an amazing story mode that'll surpass Melee's adventure mode, Subspace Emissary, and World of Light.
    • Enemies in this story should have the polygons from Smash 64, casual Nintendo enemies from Melee's adventure mode, enemies from Subspace, have worlds that play similarly like Subspace Emissary, and the map select will work like World of Light's.
    • More and extended cutscenes, compared to World of Light.
  • Include EVERY past and cut music track.
  • Include EVERY past stage
    • Yes, that even includes all past Battlefields, FD's, the Metal Mario stage, the trophy stages from Melee, and even that one unused stage from the Smash 64 opening (I'm surprised this one has never been a playable stage).
  • Bring back trophies and stickers.
    • Lottery or the Coin Launcher should make a return, I'll take either one or both of them.
  • Bring back all previous items and include new items.
  • Bring back events.
  • Bring back all the old game modes.
    • Race to the Finish, Break the Targets, Home-Run Contest, Multi-Man, Boss-Battle Mode; all of it should return.
  • Wireless N64 and GameCube controllers are to be made compatible for this Smash game to honor Nintendo and the first two Smash games on the N64 and GCN.
  • HAL Laboratory returns for development.
  • New game modes.
  • A classic mode that derives a little bit from Smash 64 & Melee's classic mode.
    • The Metal Mario fight returns.
  • Challenges come back, and the challenges screen is similar to Brawl's.
  • Game mechanics work like Ultimate's.
  • And of course, the game includes new and fun content for the fans.
This game will make Smash Ultimate look like a filler, a fake final boss, a small fry... you name it.

We could also get one more trilogy after Ultimate. Smash Ultimate is technically Smash 6, Smash 3DS is Smash 4 and Smash Wii U is Smash 5, so put Ultimate as if it's the final one in the second trilogy, which means there could be three more games left. The one after Smash Ultimate is Smash 7, then maybe a remake of Melee or Brawl would be nice, which would be Smash "8", and then Smash 9 will be the one I mentioned up above, the finale.
Again, you've got an amazing amount of optimism that I appreciate, but I think we saw how much reality limits something like this. Ultimate seems like a game that was barely finished in the 2.5 years it was in production. Piranha Plant seems to indicate that and the game certainly was lacking a number of mainstays like Home Run Contest and Stage Builder, which we also seem to be getting in the upcoming future. That was WITH something like World of Light in the game. To have something like Subspace, which Sakurai has talked at length about the difficulty and resources needed to make a story mode of that scope (and it would only be worse with more characters) that it alone could take a couple of years to develop properly. Sakurai has already mentioned that trophies were too developmentally restrictive for Ultimate, so that's a significant amount of added time as well.

Just when you start adding all that up, I think you're looking at a game that takes like 5-6 years to even develop to include everything. Even if you use Ultimate as a complete base for the game (Which Ultimate used Smash 4 as much as it could already), you're still looking at one of the most developmentally ambitious projects in gaming that would take a very long time even in comparison to other Smash games.

Plus, please don't ruin the new Classic mode haha. That was one of Ultimate's best strengths and we don't need to go backwards with that mode...

Edit: Also, love the Katakuri avatar and I do really appreciate your optimism, I just don't think I can agree with how far things will go in the future haha.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I appreciate the optimism, but I'd like to counter a couple things. The main thing to consider I think when it comes to DLC for Ultimate. When we finish up this cycle next year in early 2020, Sakurai will have been exclusively working on Smash for 8 years without a break. He started Smash 4 in April 2012 and immediately started Ultimate after finishing the DLC for Smash 4. The man just hasn't had a break from Smash in almost an entire decade. I wouldn't at all surprised to see him walk away to flex his creative muscles elsewhere or even just simply want a lengthy break all around.

Also, the Ultimate Smash excuse has gotten far too many people into trouble for believing the game to be something it's not. Ultimate was just the name for all of the content coming back and I think that Japanese title of "Special" works better for the game whereas Ultimate brings up far too many false expectations I think.

And with the way Smash has sold already coupled with how games that receive practically no support have continued selling, I think Nintendo would be more than content to just have Smash as another evergreen title that they can keep selling without having to pump more resources into it. I'd love more DLC than just one Fighter's Pass, but I think we'll be extremely lucky to get a second season even if we do.

Again, you've got an amazing amount of optimism that I appreciate, but I think we saw how much reality limits something like this. Ultimate seems like a game that was barely finished in the 2.5 years it was in production. Piranha Plant seems to indicate that and the game certainly was lacking a number of mainstays like Home Run Contest and Stage Builder, which we also seem to be getting in the upcoming future. That was WITH something like World of Light in the game. To have something like Subspace, which Sakurai has talked at length about the difficulty and resources needed to make a story mode of that scope (and it would only be worse with more characters) that it alone could take a couple of years to develop properly. Sakurai has already mentioned that trophies were too developmentally restrictive for Ultimate, so that's a significant amount of added time as well.

Just when you start adding all that up, I think you're looking at a game that takes like 5-6 years to even develop to include everything. Even if you use Ultimate as a complete base for the game (Which Ultimate used Smash 4 as much as it could already), you're still looking at one of the most developmentally ambitious projects in gaming that would take a very long time even in comparison to other Smash games.

Plus, please don't ruin the new Classic mode haha. That was one of Ultimate's best strengths and we don't need to go backwards with that mode...

Edit: Also, love the Katakuri avatar and I do really appreciate your optimism, I just don't think I can agree with how far things will go in the future haha.
Don't forget that it's been stated that they had a surplus of funds. Now of course the surplus could be limited to this Fighter's Pass, but in all honesty, I think that since we are clearly getting other DLC content that the surplus is a bit more than we think. Is it multiple Fighter's Pass worthy? Hell if I know, but if we are already getting side-content, I think we can keep getting more side content at the very least. This combined with Sakurai's statements and Switch's life-cycle being in the very early stages points to me that there is more content on the horizon.

Also, as for your statement that Sakurai has been on Smash for going on a decade now with nothing else...well, two things.

1. It's his masterpiece, and no other game franchise he makes or works on will surpass it. The franchise is his magum opus, if you will, and it would be wise for him to continue to work on Smash rather than anything else and he still has room to flex his 'creative muscles' as Piranha Plant clearly shows.

2. Most people work doing the same general thing every day for most of their lives. Sure, the project could change: construction workers build a new building, authors writes a new series, etc etc...but the basics of what they do don't change, and honestly people have spent longer on single projects. I understand your point and would also understand if Sakurai wants to move on, but with his current position now and the near future is not the time to move on yet.

Also, can we talk about how it's likely we are getting free modes? Smash has always had these side modes, but Ultimate didn't have enough time to include everything they wanted in base, so now we are getting the usual modes that we love now that the rush for WoL and the other big parts of Ultimate are done. Most companies would either charge for the extra content that was removed from the base game or just never add it back in, but Sakurai and Nintendo care about fun and the long-haul of their customer base over a quick buck. It just blows my mind that Ultimate is in the same situation as other AAA titles where the game came out lacking features we are used to and is releasing them over time, yet unlike other AAA titles we aren't angry with the situation.

More proof that Nintendo and Sakurai know what they are doing I suppose.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Fair enough. I'm aware he needs a break, hence why he said the next Smash game might not even come until 9-10 more years and I'd be fine with that. I'd be fine with Ultimate being the final game, but it's his life though, so he can do whatever he wants with it. He could even retire right now if he wanted to but he loves doing this, despite being stressed out all the time. I'd be fine if the final Smash game was coming in 15 more years, I mean, I don't mind waiting.

And thank you. Good to know there's still some One Piece fans in here.
#KatakuriForNextStrawHat

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well while we may think he needs a break, we honestly don't know if Sakurai himself thinks he should stop after the 5th pass character.

Definitely sometime after the DLC cycle is done, that's for sure, but when that'll happen is the question. And maybe then he'll reveal what he bought the Vifam figure for.

In any case, at least some of you might need a break from this thread. It's a bit unhealthy to just talk about the same uncertain topic.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

5 to 6 years is not uncalled for in game development, I actually would like to see what the Smash team could do with that big of a scope. This game, while great, could have used a couple more years in the oven.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
5 to 6 years is not uncalled for in game development, I actually would like to see what the Smash team could do with that big of a scope. This game, while great, could have used a couple more years in the oven.
It does help that the assets for all characters are now ready and able to be used for a future game, whenever the need arises to port anything over.

D

Deleted member

Maybe not for Ovaltine, yes, but it sure did help a lot for me.

I just think everyone should just do what they feel instead of trying to make a set time from the start on whether or not to take a break, or for how long. If you want to stay on the site, it's best to stay on the site, and if you want to take a break, take a break from the site and then come back whenever you want to, rather than, again, setting a time from the start. This is what I feel at least.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe not for Ovaltine, yes, but it sure did help a lot for me.

I just think everyone should just do what they feel instead of trying to make a set time from the start on whether or not to take a break, or for how long. If you want to stay on the site, it's best to stay on the site, and if you want to take a break, take a break from the site and then come back whenever you want to, rather than, again, setting a time from the start. This is what I feel at least.
Yeah, take me, whenever I feel like doing something else, I just do it. I don't think anyone noticed that there are stretches of time when I don't post anything for hours or even nearly the whole day.

Though one thing for sure is it's best to do something that distracts you long enough to not just wallow in misery for weeks. Like shifting the topic to something inherently happier. Even that is enough and doesn't require abandoning the Internet.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It does help that the assets for all characters are now ready and able to be used for a future game, whenever the need arises to port anything over.
I don't even think everything should be ported, there's some things that would improve the quality of the game if removed and some stuff that is unnecessary and could have dev time spared for something else.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't even think everything should be ported, there's some things that would improve the quality of the game if removed and some stuff that is unnecessary and could have dev time spared for something else.
Like the clone's clones of Marth that end up making almost half of FE's representation.

... No, really, FE representation is fine otherwise, but it's such an eye roll moment when we have three Marths.

D

Deleted member

Like the clone's clones of Marth that end up making almost half of FE's representation.

... No, really, FE representation is fine otherwise, but it's such an eye roll moment when we have three Marths.
Actually 4, since Chrom is based on Roy who is based on Marth.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
To be fair, didn't Sakurai say he would be taking a "short break" when Smash 4 came out? So yeah, if we're to take the man at his word, he did get a break from Smash, so I don't think creative burnout is too much of an issue for him at this time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, didn't Sakurai say he would be taking a "short break" when Smash 4 came out? So yeah, if we're to take the man at his word, he did get a break from Smash, so I don't think creative burnout is too much of an issue for him at this time.
Yeah, dedicated work is about as natural as taking a cup of joe in the morning over there. One thing for sure is though is that as much as he'd prefer doing things other than sequels (he probably didn't realise that leaving HAL would not necessarily prevent him from doing any more sequels of stuff), he doesn't mind it if it helps to make as much people as happy as possible.

So it's good that he still has plenty of drive for ideas.

Actually 4, since Chrom is based on Roy who is based on Marth.
Furthermore at least 3 out of those 4 clones are loved by the fans, so it's a vicious cycle anyway.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

You mean three Links? :p

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You mean three Links? :p
That's also pretty lazy; Hyrule Warriors made it pretty clear that there's a LOT to work with as far as Zelda characters are concerned.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's also pretty lazy; Hyrule Warriors made it pretty clear that there's a LOT to work with as far as Zelda characters are concerned.
I think the creators seem content with just having the essential Zelda characters in there, seeing as the demand for Skull Kid has led to bupkis. Not even Tingle has been considered, and that guy's loved in Japan. Well, that, and I get the impression that they just don't want to copypaste movesets from other sources unless they have no other choice. :ultryu::ultken: Tecmo Koei rights make this even more complicated. Then again I've never been much of a Zelda fan, so it's no skin off my nose, I guess...

Also, as monkey paw wishes go, people wanted some veterans back? They're all here, including the superfluous ones!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lmao whenever I wake up it takes me 15 minutes to come to my senses.

Anyways, if there is a remake of SMRPG, I think it would be cool if the equipment is visible, like in the official equipment art of SMRPG.

I know we've already discussed what we would like to see in an SMRPG remake, but there's actually a lot more ideas and tiny possible changes to it. Plus there isn't much else to talk about much regarding Geno possibly being in Smash, so I'd like to really dig in deep to discuss possibilities in an SMRPG remake.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lmao whenever I wake up it takes me 15 minutes to come to my senses.

Anyways, if there is a remake of SMRPG, I think it would be cool if the equipment is visible, like in the official equipment art of SMRPG.

I know we've already discussed what we would like to see in an SMRPG remake, but there's actually a lot more ideas and tiny possible changes to it. Plus there isn't much else to talk about much regarding Geno possibly being in Smash, so I'd like to really dig in deep to discuss possibilities in an SMRPG remake.
You know, that's a pretty valid point.

Having recently seen the article about those pop culture references (in the Psycopath thoughts) that were replaced, do you think they would be kept in this time? I can definitely see the "I will punish you" one staying, since Sailor Moon Crystal is a thing. Not to mention that anime culture acceptance in the West has more or less made strides since 1996.

Also, I don't think the Marrymore kissing gag will avoid notice in this day and age. :p

Last edited:

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
You know, that's a pretty valid point.

Having recently seen the article about those pop culture references (in the Psycopath thoughts) that were replaced, do you think they would be kept in this time? I can definitely see the "I will punish you" one staying, since Sailor Moon Crystal is a thing. Not to mention that anime culture acceptance in the West has more or less made strides since 1996.

Also, I don't think the Marrymore kissing gag will avoid notice in this day and age. :p
Hard to say how much value there is in maintaining the original intent of most of the Psychopath references when it's likely that fewer than one out of a thousand people will understand any of them. Keeping some of the more recognizable ones (such as the sailor moon one) and replacing the others with references to things that people have a better chance of knowing is probably the best sort of compromise we could hope for.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hard to say how much value there is in maintaining the original intent of most of the Psychopath references when it's likely that less than one out of a thousand people will understand any of them. Keeping some of the more recognizable ones (such as the sailor moon one) and replacing the others with references to things that people have a better chance of knowing is probably the best sort of compromise we could hope for.
I expect the ones that are more specific to general Japan pop culture outside of anime to get taken out, that much is certain. Apart from the Super Sentai one, which had no reason to be taken out in the first place.

Also, today's translators have more legroom than Ted Woolsey did back in the day, thanks to the Internet.

Last edited:

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
I expect the ones that are more specific to general Japan pop culture outside of anime to get taken out, that much is certain.

Also, today's translators have more legroom than Ted Woolsey did back in the day, thanks to the Internet.
It would certainly be fun to see if the freedom that the modern translation team seems to have now could allow them to match the insanity of the original Japanese psychopath quotes.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What I want with Psychopath is, along with the thoughts of the enemies, having Mallow describe them. It'll give him more dialogue to work with on his character. Even better yet is if he can use Psychopath on his own party members outside of Mario, getting varied dialogue and factoids as a result. It's more something that'd be used when in weak battles while leveled up, but it'd add a layer of charm. Plus, it'd be an excuse to inject more into Geno's character, something that, as much as I love him, he sorely needs.

Maybe they'd have different dialogue depending on the location and enemies they're facing, how far you've progressed in the game, etc. I think it'd provide a GREAT angle to Geno's character if they used it to show his development from the beginning of the game to the end. In the beginning, he's very focused on his duties, yet in Smithy's Factory, he seems very reluctant and somber about leaving his new friends. It'd be nice to ride the wave of his thoughts as the journey continues, initially being so fixated on the star pieces and slowly losing that focus, losing himself to the wonderment he has in this planet and his new pals. Then, as the journey starts coming to close, we can see more introspection on how he feels about abandoning all of that, whether or not he really wants to, or if it should even be as black-and-white as a 'my friends vs. my purpose' type of thing.

... God, he has so much potential that really needs to be tapped into.

D

Deleted member

Last Night I had another dream about Geno being revealed for Smash and I don't know what that says about me maybe it means I'm obsessed with Geno getting in Smash or maybe it was because I was making a retelling of SMRPG for a Story.

Probably the latter though it's very weird.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last Night I had another dream about Geno being revealed for Smash and I don't know what that says about me maybe it means I'm obsessed with Geno getting in Smash or maybe it was because I was making a retelling of SMRPG for a Story.

Probably the latter though it's very weird.
You're lucky to have that, the last dream I had not only had nothing to do with games (let alone Smash or SMRPG), but also made no sense at all.

That being said, it's simply your desire/fandom being expressed by your subconscious (don't quote me on this though, I'm no psychiatrist).

D

Deleted member

You're lucky to have that, the last dream I had not only had nothing to do with games (let alone Smash or SMRPG), but also made no sense at all.

That being said, it's simply your desire/fandom being expressed by your subconscious (don't quote me on this though, I'm no psychiatrist).
That makes sense as I really, really want Geno in Smash so it could easily be that. What was your dream about? I usually get dreams of things I want or really weird dreams.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That makes sense as I really, really want Geno in Smash so it could easily be that. What was your dream about? I usually get dreams of things I want or really weird dreams.
The few vague things I remember from it are a metallic slinky-like sculpture wiggling around in place somewhere, an x-ray like still of a man and woman doing the act of copulating (despite the fact that I haven't seen sex at all), and two businessmen on a beach in fighting poses presumably about to fight.

Like I said, no sense. The entirety of M&L Dream Team made more sense than that, I'd wager.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The few vague things I remember from it are a metallic slinky-like sculpture wiggling around in place somewhere, an x-ray like still of a man and woman doing the act of copulating (despite the fact that I haven't seen sex at all), and two businessmen on a beach in fighting poses presumably about to fight.

Like I said, no sense. The entirety of M&L Dream Team made more sense than that, I'd wager.
Yeah I can't say that makes any sense sometimes I get random dreams that make no sense either that's probably what happened with your dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom