• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Well he said that in context of adding Corrin but he still added them. And then he added Chrom, so it's not like he was saying that in a way to suggest he won't ever touch FE again.

But I'll keep my love of Fire Emblem out of the Geno thread, just remember that there are still people who would be excited to see Fire Emblem characters in Smash.
The difference between adding Character like from FE or adding fan favourites like Geno/Banjo is that at least, FE it's in the mainstream.
You still have your FE games to enjoy, even new ones coming from time to time.. that's why some people dislike it also tho, why it instead of a New Legend of Zelda Character, I personally like FE too, but I like FE as FE, if you know what I mean.
Take this for example, I love Gardevoir as a Pokemon and I wanted it to be in Smash, but, I'd preffer any other character to take its place since for me, Pokemon is already well represented.

That's just my opinion tho, Sakurai and Nintendo can do whatever they want and if they want to add even more character from FE then they surely can, in the end it's gotta be fun anyways, Yeah some people is going to dislike it but, then that character is not for'em.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Of note is that it was posted by King Zell, who has predicted Directs in the past and has been proven to have connections. I believe he was the one who leaked Pokemon Let's Go? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was the one who did that.

I'd still take it with a grain of salt from how weird Nintendo's been about directs lately, but it's a point of interest.
Pokemon Let's Go was leaked by a random text leak on 4chan, I was there when it was first posted. But yes, he corroborated it.

EDIT: And even before that, there was a context-less image leak of Lapras surfing that turned out to be real.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
The difference between adding Character like from FE or adding fan favourites like Geno/Banjo is that at least, FE it's in the mainstream.
You still have your FE games to enjoy, even new ones coming from time to time.. that's why some people dislike it also tho, why it instead of a New Legend of Zelda Character, I personally like FE too, but I like FE as FE, if you know what I mean.
Take this for example, I love Gardevoir as a Pokemon and I wanted it to be in Smash, but, I'd preffer any other character to take its place since for me, Pokemon is already well represented.

That's just my opinion tho, Sakurai and Nintendo can do whatever they want and if they want to add even more character from FE then they surely can, in the end it's gotta be fun anyways, Yeah some people is going to dislike it but, then that character is not for'em.
I don't think you're wrong, I would rather see some other characters but I would still be happy to see someone from Fire Emblem. My problem is just how often I see (and not really in this thread, just in general) that people just can't stand the thought of FE getting one more rep. Its fine to say you'd rather see Geno or Banjo but I just don't think FE deserves the hate it gets.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I don't think you're wrong, I would rather see some other characters but I would still be happy to see someone from Fire Emblem. My problem is just how often I see (and not really in this thread, just in general) that people just can't stand the thought of FE getting one more rep. Its fine to say you'd rather see Geno or Banjo but I just don't think FE deserves the hate it gets.
Don’t see it like that, you can say no to something without hating it.
Like, people says no to the idea of adding more FE characters, that’s doesnt mean they hate it, same with Geno, you can like it or not and, since it’s your opinion, that doens’t hurt anyone. The problem is when some people manage his self-provocated frustation by insulting fictional characters or even worse, insulting people on the internet because their opiniones are different.. that’s.. another story.

Anyways I feel you bro

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I don't think FE deserves the hate it gets either. I just think that in Smash 4 they kinda went overboard with FE representation and that turned a lot of people off. That's not to say FE isn't deserving of another rep, but Smash 4 created somewhat of a new precedent where odds are, FE characters would join the roster over other franchises. And like DaxMasterix DaxMasterix said, FE is in the mainstream. Franchises like Banjo-Kazooie and SMRPG aren't, and Smash is pretty much their only chance of achieving relevancy again. But I don't think FE should be as hated on as it is, it's kinda ridiculous.

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
Hi everybody! It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been lurking around. I had a dream last night that Geno was in Smash, lol. What are the happenings lately? Any interesting rumors?

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
I don't think FE deserves the hate it gets either. I just think that in Smash 4 they kinda went overboard with FE representation and that turned a lot of people off. That's not to say FE isn't deserving of another rep, but Smash 4 created somewhat of a new precedent where odds are, FE characters would join the roster over other franchises. And like DaxMasterix DaxMasterix said, FE is in the mainstream. Franchises like Banjo-Kazooie and SMRPG aren't, and Smash is pretty much their only chance of achieving relevancy again. But I don't think FE should be as hated on as it is, it's kinda ridiculous.
Honestly, I think it's the overabundance of "sword-users" coupled with all the Fire Emblem characters we do have also having very similar playstyles and moves is the main issue.

If say, we had something like a General with a spear, or a Berserker with an axe, or hell, even a Myrmidon or a Hero, things that would at least have different playstyles and attacks, then people probably wouldn't be so sour towards FE because it provided us with variety.

I know a lot of people are sour regarding Corrin's inclusion, but because they also brought us a completely different and unique move set even without considering they're a FE character, I don't have an issue with them at all. Sure, the character itself is rather boring and poorly written, but gameplay wise they bring something new to the table, unlike most of the other FE characters.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What sucks is smash made me really resent Fire Emblem. Considering how from the very start it was only added because the franchise was about to die and Nintendo thought it needed the exposure. And by golly it worked. To the point where they had the need to add five different Fire Emblem reps in one game because it got popular. When I finally decided to look in to Fire Emblem it bothered me how many unique characters there are. And we got a bunch of look-alike characters that use a sword. There are people that can turn into dragons, there are different weapon choices, there are people which are basically fallen gods. But we get the same character five times. They have enough material to not have one Fire Emblem rep feel the same. Exactly like Pokemon.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I'd like Black Knight because I'm a fan of heavy sword users, like Ike for example.
I was playing around making a Mii Gunner and had to laugh because my favorite Anti-Geno comment is ''Maybe he got all his Geno ideas out through Mii Gunner."

You mean those ideas that are NOTHING like Geno at all?
I also ran into someone like this. I found a Geno hater one time and they said something like, "Geno is literally a clone of the Mii Gunner, why should he be in?" People don't understand that Geno is 100% different than the Mii Gunner, and if anything Samus and the Mii Gunner literally share the same gun. lol
I guess they think the Mii Gunner can transform into a cannon?
And this is coming from someone who doesn't like third parties in the game.
I don't think you're the only one...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That Smash update with the picture of the Geno spirit plastered on it for an event or whatever, by the way? Ouch. Just ouch.

The amount of acknowledgement Mallow and especially Geno are getting right now feels so... I dunno. You would think it would be fanservice-y, a wonderful little nod, but I can't help but be horrendously bitter seeing them mentioned over and over as of late without any sort of actual use of the characters. Geno's spirit is showcased in one of the main menus, as well as this event thing. He's a profile picture. He's been tweeted about, along with Mallow. He was namedropped in the HQ quiz. We got the Mii costume. We got the Super Mario Kun SMRPG segment. It's tiny, little stuff that is nowhere near significant enough to signal a return for them, so it just feels like...

"Hey, see? We remember they exist! See? We're still thinking about them! We just aren't going to do much about it. Isn't that nice? This was what you wanted, right? No? Too bad, enjoy these few scraps before we stop caring again and shelve these two for another decade or two."

I can't even be sure of who to blame anymore. It's definitely not Sakurai, but either NoJ or Square... or both. It's just exasperating and it's hardly even about Smash for me. I personally just want them both to come back. Smash is just one way of doing it, but it's not the ultimate goal. It's freaking ridiculous, and I hope these little nods and references and winks our way won't be all we get. No new games with them involved, no DLC for any Mario series games with them, just nada.

We aren't asking to just get tiny scraps every decade or so, guys. Just... aaaAAAAA.

(Sorry, not feeling well due to my health, so I'm in a terrible mood and I have to vent. Don't take the overdramatic tone of this too seriously, haha.)

D

Deleted member

The sad thing is that Fire Emblem is a surprisingly good series. Robin getting into Smash Bros pushed me to try out Awakening, and it went uphill from there. I love the strategy and some of the writing is immersive as all Hell. In a sense, I was interested in Corrin when they were revealed because I was really interested in Fates before it was released (and then it turned out to be good but not worth getting all 3 paths, which is the entire point of the game). So Fire Emblem is kind of in a weird spot. It's public reception is that it's popular, but there's a lot to make fun of at first glance.

Lucina was definitely shortsighted. Some people wanted Roy back out of nostalgia and some people didn't want Roy back because he was a clone. Lucina being in made both camps very angry and was hard to appreciate as a result. Even as someone who enjoyed Awakening, Lucina was very forgettable in that game too. She was just there despite being a mystery for the first half of the game. If Lucina didn't make it into Smash, I'm not sure how negatively Fire Emblem would be viewed nowadays. Probably still in a bad light because we got Chrom in Ultimate, but it's sort of interesting to think about. She started the general flack the series gets in Smash, because Robin himself was easily digested.

Whatever. I'm sure Three Houses will be good and I'll enjoy that. That's all that matters to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The sad thing is that Fire Emblem is a surprisingly good series. Robin getting into Smash Bros pushed me to try out Awakening, and it went uphill from there. I love the strategy and some of the writing is immersive as all Hell. In a sense, I was interested in Corrin when they were revealed because I was really interested in Fates before it was released (and then it turned out to be good but not worth getting all 3 paths, which is the entire point of the game). So Fire Emblem is kind of in a weird spot. It's public reception is that it's popular, but there's a lot to make fun of at first glance.

Lucina was definitely shortsighted. Some people wanted Roy back out of nostalgia and some people didn't want Roy back because he was a clone. Lucina being in made both camps very angry and was hard to appreciate as a result. Even as someone who enjoyed Awakening, Lucina was very forgettable in that game too. She was just there despite being a mystery for the first half of the game. If Lucina didn't make it into Smash, I'm not sure how negatively Fire Emblem would be viewed nowadays. Probably still in a bad light because we got Chrom in Ultimate, but it's sort of interesting to think about. She started the general flack the series gets in Smash, because Robin himself was easily digested.

Whatever. I'm sure Three Houses will be good and I'll enjoy that. That's all that matters to me.
Lucina isn’t the Fire Emblem problem.

The people who absolutely could not let go of Roy have created the bigger problem here, and then he ended up with an Echo of all the choices.

Lucina is the only female main character we’ve got represented and is just Marth’s Echo at that, and I think you do absolutely need Marth.

Ike, Robin, and Corrin are all unique and do things differently so they’re fine.

Marth just didn’t need an echo, a semi-clone, and an echo of that semi-clone.

D

Deleted member

Lucina isn’t the Fire Emblem problem.

The people who absolutely could not let go of Roy have created the bigger problem here, and then he ended up with an Echo of all the choices.

Lucina is the only female main character we’ve got represented and is just Marth’s Echo at that, and I think you do absolutely need Marth.

Ike, Robin, and Corrin are all unique and do things differently so they’re fine.

Marth just didn’t need an echo, a semi-clone, and an echo of that semi-clone.
Well one, Robin is the first Fire Emblem female protag, and she's more memorable at that. She plays a greater role in Awakening's story and provides a fresh moveset. Lucina is just a horrible foreshadow device who hangs around in the background and is more of a clone of Marth than Roy. She's not even a main character, really. That would go to Robin and Chrom.

Hindsight is 20/20, but if we didn't get Lucina and instead just waited for Roy to be DLC, I think FE would have initially been in a better place. There were more people who wanted Roy back than people who wanted Lucina as a newcomer. Lucina was just a bad decision altogether even if she was meant to be an alternate costume like Alph. I think she kickstarted the initial disdain toward the series in Smash.

Then Chrom made it worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm just waiting for Polar to leak the script tbh
We've already gone over about how and why that's not how things work. Never mind the fact that we don't even know for sure if we're even getting a direct next week.
That Smash update with the picture of the Geno spirit plastered on it for an event or whatever, by the way? Ouch. Just ouch.
The best advice I can give is not to focus so on just one character you want, or look at it with the half-glass full mentality.

He's closer than countless other characters who aren't even spirits, like Phoenix Wright, are to getting that chance, and he has a presence there too. Relish it, until he becomes a fighter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hi everybody! It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been lurking around. I had a dream last night that Geno was in Smash, lol. What are the happenings lately? Any interesting rumors?
Well, there is a rumor of a direct in the 13th.

Other than that, not much really

D

Deleted member

The best advice I can give is not to focus so on just one character you want, or look at it with the half-glass full mentality.

He's closer than countless other characters who aren't even spirits, like Phoenix Wright, are to getting that chance, and he has a presence there too. Relish it, until he becomes a fighter.
I wonder if there will be a character I don't know who makes it into Smash at this point. Shulk was the last character I went "Who?" towards. Never again, it seems.

Tell me about it. Congratulations PolarPanda PolarPanda . Haven't been this surprised since The Anigriffin The Anigriffin turned out to be a girl.
The real newcomer was the gender reveal all along.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Can you provide context regarding this? I only see the 'Well-Rounded' spirit event happening. I don't see Geno unless it was done outside of the game.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
"Geno is literally a clone of the Mii Gunner, why should he be in?" People don't understand that Geno is 100% different than the Mii Gunner, and if anything Samus and the Mii Gunner literally share the same gun. lol
I see that reasoning but if the two are comparable, I would go for Geno over the Mii Gunner, tbh. Miis are just not considered in the same way with other fighters, we know that.

Franchise overrepresented is not totally positive, anyway. I like each of the current fighters, and most of them have awesome potential in Smash bros, just that's a different story. Same for pokemons and Mario fighters.

Considering how from the very start it was only added because the franchise was about to die and Nintendo thought it needed the exposure. .
When NIntendo already plan its sequels, not like this franchise is dead in their own perspective. (Still Ultimate is every one is here so Roy would definitely be here, anyway).

I wonder if there will be a character I don't know who makes it into Smash at this point. Shulk was the last character I went "Who?" towards. Never again, it seems.
Reggie hints on the DLCs being unexpected, probably Shulk was that kind of character, just it depends on whether they're good surprises or not.

To me Geno, regardless of his franchise, would indeed be an unexpected good surprise as a returnee in games, just his popularity has made his possible return much less surprising.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
at least we get a Pikmin 3 port it seems.
Yeah, it is a decent consolation.
Thank goodness for that, it won't be consigned to Wii U limbo anymore.

Also, remember: once they're done salvaging whatever was good on the Wii U, they'll focus a lot more on original games afterwards. And they can leave Devil's Third where it is, it can rot in hell for all I care.

Didn't Sakurai himself said there was so much FE characters?

Better start making a Super AnimeSwordman Brothers don'tchathink? :4pacman:
That, and he showed bemusement at there being so many vg characters using swords. Considering that Hector's chances are infinitesimal at this point, I'd take it.

Also, please don't give the Smash imitators any ideas, even as a joke.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nintendo REALLY wants everyone to see Geno, seems like a great thing to me! Now people will at least recognize him when he inevitably gets announced.
Get rid of the line on that last bit

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
hey guys, i heard about the new direct rumor, that’s super rad. i’ve been distancing myself from smash speculation for a bit and it’s been pretty nice. i do miss you guys sometimes though so i wanted to stop by and say hello. also, i found some really nice art you may or may not have seen :)

9B334856-E7F5-4F57-8829-F937987A855C.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
hey guys, i heard about the new direct rumor, that’s super rad. i’ve been distancing myself from smash speculation for a bit and it’s been pretty nice. i do miss you guys sometimes though so i wanted to stop by and say hello. also, i found some really nice art you may or may not have seen :)

View attachment 191109
>motherfudging Culex
Finally, a fan artist that remembers him.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

View attachment 191109
Man, I love this. I like how its not just the Smithy gang being represented but much of the major players in the game.

>motherfudging Culex
Finally, a fan artist that remembers him.
You'd think he'd be fodder for some pretty great action packed battle images, but nope. Really a shame.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm trying to think. What first party would be hype enough to warrant it becoming DLC? Now they could just make Edelgard and Sylux DLC as part of advertising, but seriously. Would there be a first party character that would make fans explode on a level like Ryu or Cloud? (And I count Geno as third party so don't go there.) Kind of hard to imagine since we are paying for this stuff.
I think Nintendo really undersells their own characters. Characters like Waluigi, Dixie, or Dee would make more of a storm than guys like Joker or Erdrick. Hell, who was the biggest announcement of Smash Ultimate? K. Rool, a forgotten character from 10 years ago that only came back because of the fans. Given that, I honestly can’t see why Nintendo doesn’t think their characters would sell (to freaking Nintendo fans on a Nintendo console buying a Nintendo game, at that).

At this point, I even think guys like Isaac, or Geno, or Rex could be a huge deal over the internet.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I think Nintendo really undersells their own characters. Characters like Waluigi, Dixie, or Dee would make more of a storm than guys like Joker or Erdrick. Hell, who was the biggest announcement of Smash Ultimate? K. Rool, a forgotten character from 10 years ago that only came back because of the fans. Given that, I honestly can’t see why Nintendo doesn’t think their characters would sell (to freaking Nintendo fans on a Nintendo console buying a Nintendo game, at that).
At this point, I even think guys like Isaac, or Geno, or Rex could be a huge deal over the internet.
Well like said, if we only guess unexpected characters that are not dominant in fanbase discussion, either significant characters like Toad or very popular characters like Geno in Mario franchise are all way too predictable and less surprising. Of course popular characters from new games can make more money, but would not conform to the theory.

If it's a 3rd party franchise, probably a one that has done big Nintendo title but hasn't caught attentions from the Smash community. For Nintendo's, currently the better luck goes to those unused franchises.

The main debate for KingKRool is, he is still an officially acknowledged main villain unlike Tatanga and Wart. He is supposed to be in more recent games like Mario Kart 8 rather than a "surprising returnee" in Ultimate.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Of note is that it was posted by King Zell, who has predicted Directs in the past and has been proven to have connections. I believe he was the one who leaked Pokemon Let's Go? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was the one who did that.

I'd still take it with a grain of salt from how weird Nintendo's been about directs lately, but it's a point of interest.
Pokemon Lets Go was leaked on 4Chan first.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well like said, if we only guess unexpected characters that are not dominant in fanbase discussion, either significant characters like Toad or very popular characters like Geno in Mario franchise are all way too predictable and less surprising. Of course popular characters from new games can make more money, but would not conform to the theory.

If it's a 3rd party franchise, probably a one that has done big Nintendo title but hasn't caught attentions from the Smash community. For Nintendo's, currently the better luck goes to those unused franchises.

The main debate for KingKRool is, he is still an officially acknowledged main villain unlike Tatanga and Wart. He is supposed to be in more recent games like Mario Kart 8 rather than a "surprising returnee" in Ultimate.
I wasn’t talking about Reggie’s comments of unexpected characters. I agree that that probably means there won’t be Nintendo characters.

But if all DLC ends up being third party, that begs the question: does Nintendo think their characters won’t sell? And, if so, why?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The person who leaked the direct said Erdrick is in; so I'm actually not too hyped. I just want to get it over with to be honest.

Polar's insistence that Xen is right still baffles me though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom