• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about the composer is that Sugiyama doesn't get in the way of how people play the game and enjoy it. Toriyama throwing a large wrench into the competitive scene, however, is huge and will cause massive ripples, especially for a game that was meant to be better handled for competitive than Sm4sh.

The difference here is huge. Don't start disparaging the fans of DQ again. Please stay civil.

link2702

Smash Champion
This news is probably a good thing for geno’s chances, it likely means Nintendo is gonna stay far far away from a dq character, Nintendo knows how big the competitive smash scene is, they know the horrible backlash they’d receive if they put a character in that basically kills it for the newest game. And with Nintendo trying quite a lot lately to appeal to the competitive scene, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The thing about the composer is that Sugiyama doesn't get in the way of how people play the game and enjoy it. Toriyama throwing a large wrench into the competitive scene, however, is huge and will cause massive ripples, especially for a game that was meant to be better handled for competitive than Sm4sh.

The difference here is huge. Don't start disparaging the fans of DQ again. Please stay civil.
Yeah; well it get's in the way of how I enjoy the game, and several people I've spoken with as well so that's incorrect but I don't wanna argue about that asshole again lol.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just want to get one thing down right now, is Bird Studios the source of this tourney trouble, or is it Toei as a whole?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Like I said, it's extremely unlikely a Smash Ultimate DLC character will happen on New Years Eve. At best, Japanese fans would get the official release date of the Switch port for DQ 11. I seriously doubt Sakurai would ultimately agree to implement a character into the game that would potentially destroy the competitive side of Smash Bros

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Leak bait affects the leakers with actual sources
How so? Unless the sources are unreliable, then it shouldn't affect them too greatly. The only thing I could see happening is the leaker asking their source about the character, which can end up as "Yes", "No", "Not enough information", or "Maybe".

Then again, I am pretty uninformed on the subject.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
There is literally no evidence that it's Bird Studio's doing. More people seem to think it's Toei. Who can't do **** about DQ.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How so? Unless the sources are unreliable, then it shouldn't affect them too greatly. The only thing I could see happening is the leaker asking their source about the character, which can end up as "Yes", "No", "Not enough information", or "Maybe".

Then again, I am pretty uninformed on the subject.
Here is what I mean: leakers with sources are tied to whatever company, in this case, Nintendo or Square Enix. What they are tied to, they give them false info, then the leaker spreads that info. They get leak baited

Last edited by a moderator:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Two bombshells dropped yesterday regarding Dragon Quest:

-Square is once again teasing a big DQ announcement on New Year's but, once again, it's for Japanese audiences.

-Due to liscensing, Dragon Ball Fighterz will now only be allowed at tournaments officially sponsored by Namco-Bandai and by extension Bird Studio, a huge blow to the tournament scene if they don't change their mind. Of course, people are now sweating bullets about a DQ character in Smash for obvious reasons.

Hoo lad, I really hope Namco-Bandai changes it's mind because this could wind up killing two of the biggest fighting game scenes if they stick with it.
I don’t see how a Japanese only audience would affect it being a potential Smash character. I think news would get out regardless. Similar to how new character announcements were at E3 and the Game Awards. I wonder what’s so special about it that could warrant it being special. However, it seems like this would be points for Luminary and not Erdrick.

A lot of people are suspecting it’s Toei that’s the reason behind the tournament embargos. I wonder if that would affect Bird Studio or DA at all

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Same. (The, the DLC pack thing, not the former. just dont talk too much about it ovaltine they wont know your descent into madness)

I hope for a season 2, as well, and it'd be such a missed opportunity if Nintendo didn't do that. That being said, I hope they can work something out with Sakurai and Sora Ltd. so that Sakurai, while having input on everything, can really take it easy some more when it comes to the fighters. I think he needs to relent some of his duties more than he's willing to for the sake of his own health. I honestly worry about the man...
I hope there is a season 2, as well. And this time, I really hope the 2nd DLC will be SAKURAI's decisions and not greedy Nintendo of Japan's decisions... let's hope they don't force him to ask Nintendo of Europe to choose the DLC, because they will definitely not choose Geno.

If Nintendo is choosing again, our best option would be Nintendo of America because they are aware and acknowledge Super Mario RPG and Geno. I'm sure if they were to pick another Nintendo to choose, it'd definitely be NoA. But still, I hope Sakurai is the one that picks the DLC next time, because it's his and Bandai Namco's game, NOT Nintendo's. My lord, NoJ is acting like that one kid who takes control of the sandbox and orders everyone what to do.

I'm not kidding, my heart dropped when Sakurai announced that Nintendo was picking the DLC. I thought our long wait in line for Geno would be the next in line, but of course, the big kid who leads the sandbox got in the way and took it all away from us.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There is literally no evidence that it's Bird Studio's doing. More people seem to think it's Toei. Who can't do **** about DQ.
People are saying that the call is predominantly Namco Bandai's and it's still worrying because it shows that Namco is hard willing to bring down the ban-hammer if an IP owner in one of their games says boo. As noted, Bird Studio is very protective and very aggressive with its liscensing, as is Dragon Quest on its own, noted by decades worth of complications. That said, it's like putting a cat in a box of mice, you don't want anyone to start **** but, man, that cat's looking like it just needs a excuse to get wound up.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I hope there is a season 2, as well. And this time, I really hope the 2nd DLC will be SAKURAI's decisions and not greedy Nintendo of Japan's decisions... let's hope they don't force him to ask Nintendo of Europe to choose the DLC, because they will definitely not choose Geno.

If Nintendo is choosing again, our best option would be Nintendo of America because they are aware and acknowledge Super Mario RPG and Geno. I'm sure if they were to pick another Nintendo to choose, it'd definitely be NoA. But still, I hope Sakurai is the one that picks the DLC next time, because it's his and Bandai Namco's game, NOT Nintendo's. My lord, NoJ is acting like that one kid who takes control of the sandbox and orders everyone what to do.

I'm not kidding, my heart dropped when Sakurai announced that Nintendo was picking the DLC. I thought our long wait in line for Geno would be the next in line, but of course, the big kid who leads the sandbox got in the way and took it all away from us.
As Polar Panda's source has pointed out before, no one knows the DLC characters. Joker is proof of that. And given Square's rather strong anti-leak policies, the more it seems like Erdrick is leaning towards heavy leakbaiting.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be surprised if LoZ did see the Skull Kid Mii Costume and Isaac Assist Trophy. Without context, screenshots of them could easily be mistaken for full playable characters.

For example:
Imagine if that picture got leaked into the public pre-November direct.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I have to say, trying to think of both square and the many other owners of dragon quest characters, could it be possible that there will be two square characters? With that, I could see now a dragon quest character and geno. Geno would be the cash cow, and Dragon Quest would be the promotion/advertisement.

Let’s be honest. Square had the Upper hand since Sakurai wanted to have “everybody is in.”

Would Nintendo allow Square to have two representatives? Since they decided the DLC characters? They also knew that Geno Is a very popular request, but they also knew square ENEX had the upper hand when it came to cloud being part of the base game.

Since square likes money, you can make sense to have one character as the “Loss In profits but good advertising” and one be the cash cow.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have to say, trying to think of both square and the many other owners of dragon quest characters, could it be possible that there will be two square characters? With that, I could see now a dragon quest character and geno. Geno would be the cash cow, and Dragon Quest would be the promotion/advertisement.

Let’s be honest. Square had the Upper hand since Sakurai wanted to have “everybody is in.”

Would Nintendo allow Square to have two representatives? Since they decided the DLC characters? They also knew that Geno Is a very popular request, but they also knew square ENEX had the upper hand when it came to cloud being part of the base game.

Since square likes money, you can make sense to have one character as the “Loss In profits but good advertising” and one be the cash cow.
That is a good point. I wouldn't say Geno is a cash cow necessarily, not in the grand scheme of things, but if they wanted to go with a fan favorite that made fine enough money with minimal splits, Geno would be their guy. He'd only require profit splitting with Nintendo and Yoko Shimomura, who is also already on the Smash team. It'd be easy.

In terms of DQ, the profit would be split so many more ways. Hell, even with Crono, he'd need a huge split, and Sephiroth is in a bit of a weird pickle with music and Uematsu. It would make sense that they'd do Erdrick for iconicness + promotional purposes for the west, as well as Geno to get some more focused profit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, the thing to take away from this is that Bamco probably doesn't want to compete with itself, meaning that we most likely won't see any DQ characters until further notice.

As Polar Panda's source has pointed out before, no one knows the DLC characters. Joker is proof of that. And given Square's rather strong anti-leak policies, the more it seems like Erdrick is leaning towards heavy leakbaiting.
I can live with this. DQ's time will come someday. Ultimate is not that day.

On an unrelated note, it seems that Halo's creator has confirmed via Twitter that Master Chief won't be showing up. That and Travis' deconfirmation have been the only clear things from the DLC speculation cycle so far.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
That is a good point. I wouldn't say Geno is a cash cow necessarily, not in the grand scheme of things, but if they wanted to go with a fan favorite that made fine enough money with minimal splits, Geno would be their guy. He'd only require profit splitting with Nintendo and Yoko Shimomura, who is also already on the Smash team. It'd be easy.

In terms of DQ, the profit would be split so many more ways. Hell, even with Crono, he'd need a huge split, and Sephiroth is in a bit of a weird pickle with music and Uematsu. It would make sense that they'd do Erdrick for iconicness + promotional purposes for the west, as well as Geno to get some more focused profit.
I understand, he wouldn’t be a “cash cow. “In the sense of the term cash cow. But in comparison to the other properties, it would be a lot, a lot more profit.

D

Deleted member

The smash fanbase buys everything. There aren't any characters who would make more money than other characters

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
The smash fanbase buys everything. There aren't any characters who would make more money than other characters
I'd argue Mewtwo, Cloud, and probably Lucas outsold Corrin as a whole but I kinda get what you're saying.

This is all our fault.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
On an unrelated note, it seems that Halo's creator has confirmed via Twitter that Master Chief won't be showing up. That and Travis' deconfirmation have been the only clear things from the DLC speculation cycle so far.
I would also say that, due to Kamiya making a poll about DLC characters, the ones that he listed are also deconfirmed via NDA reasoning, too. (Those would be Wonder Red, Amaterasu, Dante, and... one other one? The name escapes me.) It makes me wonder if he's trying to work something out with Sakurai outside of Fighter's Pass, though...

D

Deleted member

I'd argue Mewtwo, Cloud, and probably Lucas outsold Corrin as a whole but I kinda get what you're saying.

This is all our fault.
Maybe. The reason Corrin is a good example of this is that so many people hated his inclusion, but still bought him. They are all characters people like to have on the roster

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Much as I wish this wasn't true. It's pretty correct. I wish people would make more informed purchases.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Bird Studios isn't part of the DBZ decision, and it's just Toei, then I'm still expecting Erdrick.

However, seeing as Bandai Namco is willing to slam the ban hammer, this does shake things a little I suppose, as they only need one of the multiple share-holders to say no (though Nintendo could keep pushing for something to work out I guess, unless they give up).

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Maybe. The reason Corrin is a good example of this is that so many people hated his inclusion, but still bought him. They are all characters people like to have on the roster
Yeah... I'm guilty of this...
I only bought Corrin because they were bundled with Bayo I swear

D

Deleted member

Much as I wish this wasn't true. It's pretty correct. I wish people would make more informed purchases.
Some of us might not buy a DQ character if it happens, but even then, it's because of legal reasons. Even if a character lacks uniqueness, the Smash fanbase will still buy that character

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I would also say that, due to Kamiya making a poll about DLC characters, the ones that he listed are also deconfirmed via NDA reasoning, too. (Those would be Wonder Red, Amaterasu, Dante, and... one other one? The name escapes me.) It makes me wonder if he's trying to work something out with Sakurai outside of Fighter's Pass, though...
You have a source? I believe you I'm just really curious about this heh...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You have a source? I believe you I'm just really curious about this heh...
It was posted some time ago in... I believe newcomer speculation's main discussion thread? Alas, though, the tweet has been deleted. You can see evidence of it from the postings going around, though.

Last edited:

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Yeah, that Kamiya tweet was real. I can confirm because I voted for Ammy on it before it was taken down. Dante was winning, Ammy was in second and Wonder Red and Viewtiful Joe (I think those were the two other characters) were in distant last.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Haven’t been here in awhile any updates regarding Geno or Any of the other Square reps? Last I heard Erdrick was theorized to be shown at Jump festa. Also Happy almost Christmas/Whatever you guys celebrate

D

Deleted member

Isn't it funny how it was too expensive to keep Geno in the remake of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga but now he is all of a sudden in Ultimate? If it was too expensive to keep him in the remake, how did they include him in this game?

Hmm....

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Isn't it funny how it was too expensive to keep Geno in the remake of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga but now he is all of a sudden in Ultimate? If it was too expensive to keep him in the remake, how did they include him in this game?

Hmm....
Must've been some budget title.

At least it was a quality budget title (in my opinion).

D

Deleted member

Joker opened the door to a lot of previously viewed unlikely 3rd party characters, and Capcom is very generous with its content. Joker increases Phoenix's chances imo

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Man I really wanted Protoman but I know he's basically dead in the water at this point.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I never bought Cloud Bayo or Corrin out of sheer apathy to their inclusion. Cloud I wasn't mad about, but I had to make a statement about the other two. I don't think I bought anything from that DLC pack other than the Geno costume actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom