• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just thought of something.... what if the se rep isn’t gonna be revealed until the ff ps and ps2 ports/remasters are released in 2019? I just got the feeling that when the Nintendo direct showing the release dates of these are announced, the se rep will be shown with them.

Idk if that would be good or bad for geno’s chances, more likely it would mean nothing at all. But either way it’d probably make the most sense to reveal the rep then.

Of course this also brings up the thought...what if we get another ff rep? But it’s tidus or zidane?

Not sure how I’d feel on that...they’re both some of my favorite ff characters...but if they got in over geno...
Still beats Noctis.

Meanwhile, poor Squall gets shafted yet again.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
The guy who claims that spirits disconfirm fighters, hasn't gotten a Smash info correct yet?

I mean, sure, according to him, Phoenix Wright may have a chance, but are you really sure we can trust him?
Spirits may deconifrm for all I know. I've pointed out I'm not sure on the Enix reps. I'm not going to claim spirits confirm or deconfirm. Iirc all Hitagi said is that they heard spirits deconfirm but they weren't sure themself. And yeah, Phoenix has a chance.

Hitagi hasn't gotten a thing right, that's true, so I can understand hesitation from other people. Though, I have reasons for trusting Hitagi. I didn't say I 100% believe all the info they're given, I'm just saying I know they don't lie about what they've heard. They're not making things up, is what I'm saying.

beans

Smash Lord
I dont think Hitagi is a liar.
I just believe his sources aren't relevant to Smash.
And the end of the Katalina case will just make me doubt any of his claims from the start.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You know, now that I think about it, it seems people are forgetting about Square Enix's draconian anti-leak policy as of late amidst all the Erdrick talk. Considering how much they hate leaks and will go out of their way to deter them and snuff out internal leakers, I wouldn't be surprised if Erdrick's name being thrown around as often as it is was because he's actually leakbait - more specifically, a smokescreen, or a name put out to distract people from the truth. If anything, I'm actually feeling more confident about the SE names that almost no insiders are bringing up, i.e. us (and Sora, unfortunately).

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I think companies don't put that much thought into leaks and that they just fire people who don't follow their NDA. but maybe that's just me lol.

D

Deleted member

Almost betting on him or Banjo for that spot, to be honest. Bayonetta was the final Smash 4 pick that was basically memed into Smash by the Smash fanbase so why not Geno?
Same. I think Lloyd will be the next reveal, Banjo-Kazooie being 3rd, perhaps revealed at E3, the 4th being a Nintendo character, most likely BWD or (hopefully) Ninten, and our boy ending it off

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
No and that's the weird thing. Dragon Quest is the only thing that has any real talk aside from some people chiming with "oh, I've heard Yuri" and "yeah man, I've heard Lloyd" since the summer. All the Minecraft stuff goes back to August and nothing new has been heard since. I do think the Geno and NoA relation is weird because there's no real reason for NoA to push it. Company social media has a lot of checks and balances so for them to suddenly "celebrate" SMRPG in 2018 is really weird.

-Simply put, a lot is now pointing to DQ being decided a long time ago, maybe even as far back as the base roster. Even people super close to Atlus were blindsided by Joker so it points to the remaining four characters being treated significantly differently. My thought is that DQ was possibly intended for base but the development of DQ XI for Switch kept getting sidelined because of Kingdom Hearts III and the Final Fantasy VII remake.

-The only Square Enix character that has decent evidence in their favor at this time is someone from DQ but that's not saying much when its literally the only DLC character that has this. Aside from rumors, everything else is a blank slate at the moment. Joker was all but unknown and the remaining 3 are almost complete mysteries.

-Probably. We just know that Square was a huge pain to work with but we don't know why. DQ's liscensing quagmire (giggity) is a possible explanation but not confirmed. Square's expectations for DLC could be another. Some say Square tried to double dip with Cloud but that's just a rumor. I think there might have been an honest attempt to get it in base but someone, either Nintendo or Square, slammed on the brakes for whatever reason and DQ stuff has been on freeze since.

-Can't disclose that but some people are saying it's fake or at least questionable so it might be moot either way.
I wonder if this connects somehow with the “two SE characters were on the table” narrative. I know Polar doesn’t believe that guy, but if a DQ character was already being considered before DLC, it would make sense if Nintendo was like “oh hey we are looking at this character and maybe this other character if we get DLC”

You know, now that I think about it, it seems people are forgetting about Square Enix's draconian anti-leak policy as of late amidst all the Erdrick talk. Considering how much they hate leaks and will go out of their way to deter them and snuff out internal leakers, I wouldn't be surprised if Erdrick's name being thrown around as often as it is was because he's actually leakbait - more specifically, a smokescreen, or a name put out to distract people from the truth. If anything, I'm actually feeling more confident about the SE names that almost no insiders are bringing up, i.e. us (and Sora, unfortunately).
I don’t think Erdrick was talked about all that much before the LeakyPanda thing tho. He certainly wasn’t in a lot of fake leaks

D

Deleted member

I wonder if this connects somehow with the “two SE characters were on the table” narrative. I know Polar doesn’t believe that guy, but if a DQ character was already being considered before DLC, it would make sense if Nintendo was like “oh hey we are looking at this character and maybe this other character if we get DLC”

I don’t think Erdrick was talked about all that much before the LeakyPanda thing tho. He certainly wasn’t in a lot of fake leaks
Fake leaks on 4chan are 12 year olds creating their dream roster. Eddy isn't in those leaks.

Leak bait affects the leakers with actual sources

Even though DQ is heard a lot, I don't want to be certain on who is and who isn't leak bait

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, the one thing that makes me wonder if Erdrick is actually leakbait is this:

The first one to start thinking of all of this was LeakyPandy, someone who really isn't very reputable and likely gets leakbaited. Hitagi changed their mind once about DQ, thinking it was leakbait, but it turns out it wasn't (or something to that effect). Things are iffy on the DQ front, and then the Square list gets leaked. After that leaked, the Erdrick thing for insiders started exploding that much more.

It kind of makes me wonder if Square is trying to push Erdrick harder as leakbait for damage control...?

ETA: Let me clarify, though, that I'm putting my money on this next rep being Erdrick, as well (mostly to prepare myself for disappointment, as I personally am not into DQ), and y'all should keep your expectations low. It's just still a tiny bit odd to me.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Honestly, the one thing that makes me wonder if Erdrick is actually leakbait is this:

The first one to start thinking of all of this was LeakyPandy, someone who really isn't very reputable and likely gets leakbaited. Hitagi changed their mind once about DQ, thinking it was leakbait, but it turns out it wasn't (or something to that effect). Things are iffy on the DQ front, and then the Square list gets leaked. After that leaked, the Erdrick thing for insiders started exploding that much more.

It kind of makes me wonder if Square is trying to push Erdrick harder as leakbait for damage control...?

ETA: Let me clarify, though, that I'm putting my money on this next rep being Erdrick, as well (mostly to prepare myself for disappointment, as I personally am not into DQ), and y'all should keep your expectations low. It's just still a tiny bit odd to me.
That may very well be the case, Ovaltine. The leaked list might've gotten the insider sources who potentially are giving out false info to panic and to go into overdrive as damage control to keep the identity of the real character a secret.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Two bombshells dropped yesterday regarding Dragon Quest:

-Square is once again teasing a big DQ announcement on New Year's but, once again, it's for Japanese audiences.

-Due to liscensing, Dragon Ball Fighterz will now only be allowed at tournaments officially sponsored by Namco-Bandai and by extension Bird Studio, a huge blow to the tournament scene if they don't change their mind. Of course, people are now sweating bullets about a DQ character in Smash for obvious reasons.

Hoo lad, I really hope Namco-Bandai changes it's mind because this could wind up killing two of the biggest fighting game scenes if they stick with it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

-Square is once again teasing a big DQ announcement on New Year's but, once again, it's for Japanese audiences.

-Due to liscensing, Dragon Ball Fighterz will now only be allowed at tournaments officially sponsored by Namco-Bandai and by extension Bird Studio, a huge blow to the tournament scene if they don't change their mind. Of course, people are now sweating bullets about a DQ character in Smash for obvious reasons.

Hoo lad, I really hope Namco-Bandai changes it's mind because this could wind up killing two of the biggest fighting game scenes if they stick with it.
Wow, uh...

It sounds like we're going to have a lot more to worry about if DQ ends up getting into Smash. Holy moly. I don't even play competitively and I can tell you that this would be very, very bad.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Big problem with that logic: no Smash DLC newcomers are Japanese only reveals.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
About Hitagi saying a source of theirs saying that spirits deconfirm fighters...

What source would know that? Judging by Polar's source if there was a round two Assist Trophies could be on the table, so if even they aren't deconfirmed, why would spirits be automatically deconfirmed?

I feel like this person is getting hardcore leakbaited on all fronts, be it Steve, Katalina, this spirits nonsense, and now DQ.

Yeah. I don't trust this person as far as I could throw them, and I honestly lack upper arm strength heh...

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman

good. hopefully this means no erdrick.

D

Deleted member

With all of this stuff regardless Dragon Quest in Smash, I felt like someone would've been fired by now if Erdrick being in was the real deal, given how Square is with leaks and everything.

D

Deleted member

With all of this stuff regardless Dragon Quest in Smash, I felt like someone would've been fired by now if Erdrick being in was the real deal, given how Square is with leaks and everything.
I think if someone was fired before the time we are supposed to know anything, it would really give away the fact that Eddy is in. I think SE would want to wait until after we find everything out to take any action

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In general or are leakers also feeling the heat?
Well, it depends on how aggressive Namco/Bird Studio decides to be about it. This is basically what killed Project M. Nintendo practically threatened to withdraw all major tournament sponsorships and flat out not allow Smash at tournaments unless Project M was thrown in the trashheap by competitors. Theoretically, the same thing could happen again if any of the IP owners involved with Smash suddenly have a problem with it at major tournaments.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Well, it depends on how aggressive Namco/Bird Studio decides to be about it. This is basically what killed Project M. Nintendo practically threatened to withdraw all major tournament sponsorships and flat out not allow Smash at tournaments unless Project M was thrown in the trashheap by competitors. Theoretically, the same thing could happen again if any of the IP owners involved with Smash suddenly have a problem with it at major tournaments.
Did a Dragon Quest character get in FighterZ? Or is it just the Toriyama design thing?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hoo boy. I have a feeling that if Erdrick gets in and Bird Studio indeed wants to take that approach, the backlash is going to be absurd. This will absolutely trash Ultimate's competitive scene, and after Nintendo's and Sakurai's efforts to keep the game balanced for tourney use, it'd make it all feel like such a huge waste.

This better not happen, or I know Nintendo will end up sorely regretting it. It'll absolutely blow up in their faces.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well then, the stakes have certainly escalated quite a bit. I don't think anyone went into this thinking that one of these characters could potentially hold the fate of the whole competitive scene. And not from a balancing perspective, but the very foundation itself.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well then, the stakes have certainly escalated quite a bit. I don't think anyone went into this thinking that one of these characters could potentially hold the fate of the whole competitive scene. And not from a balancing perspective, but the very foundation itself.
Exactly. Really sorry to fans of DQ and Erdrick, but this has brought me from accepting whatever happens to being legitimately against DQ being represented at all in Smash Bros. Hopefully Erdrick, if he was considered, was ultimately scrapped in favor of another, easier rep because of the way this could meddle with competitive. This is an unholy hot mess, and if it's between getting a beloved character from the East and the fate of the whole competitive scene, a massive chunk of Smash players, then the choice should be clear.

Unfortunately, we know Nintendo is tone-deaf and loves to make poor choices.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What if Erdrick WAS being developed; but this development made Nintendo pull out and set up an impromptu ballot for Erdricks slot lmfao.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, we know Nintendo is tone-dear and loves to make poor choices.
Idk, they have been better about things ever since the start of the Switch era. The only big thing they have been faulting on is the online, and they seem to have been quick to respond to things when it comes to Smash online at least. I don't think they would waltz into a dealing knowing that it would risk there biggest games competitive scene, especially now that they seem to be valuing it more with the gamplay changes that have been made.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

THE PLOT THICKENS

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Did a Dragon Quest character get in FighterZ? Or is it just the Toriyama design thing?
If Toriyama designed it, he legally owns it and there's very few exceptions. Virtually all the Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest characters are owned by Toriyama's company Bird Studio because of this. He's super aggressive with liscensing with his characters. Bird Studio is like a tick below Studio Ghibli when it comes to practically SWATing companies for not using their properties without permission or even by their specifications. For example, that's one of the big reasons DBZ Abridged is so often log-jammed and why it's been shutdown 3 or 4 times during its run.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Will that Dragon Ball FighterZ business really affect Smash if Dragon Quest content made it in? I thought people determined that Toei was behind the tournaments shutting down (and they have notoriously taken down fan content before). Unless i’m missing something (and I probably am), I don’t get why this would happen with Dragon Quest in Smash.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If this is all Bird Studio's doing, I feel bad for the people who want a DQ character. Getting your most wanted would become bittersweet, as it comes at the cost of the competitive scenes destruction and likely hatred of the character for doing so.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If this is all Bird Studio's doing, I feel bad for the people who want a DQ character. Getting your most wanted would become bittersweet, as it comes at the cost of the competitive scenes destruction and likely hatred of the character for doing so.
God yeah, I agree. I really hope it isn't just Bird Studio and it's all a misunderstanding, but considering this is all on Toriyama's characters and he's been known for being anal retentive about his work, I wouldn't be surprised. He has that track record already, and this fits the bill for it.

If anything, this makes me feel for Erdrick's fans more while simultaneously appreciating DQ in Smash far less, and it's an awful feeling.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm not so sure. If people were okay with DQ getting in at the cost of that composer; I feel there's a lot of thing's they'd sacrifice for DQ representation, but that's just my general impression.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Dragon Quest character... or attempting to keep the competitive scene that you've finally started paying attention to happy...

Yeah if they go with the former people are going to be upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom