• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Sometimes I find the YouTube comment section more toxic than GameFAQs, with Twitter coming in second when it comes to a character that anyone wants in the game, especially Geno.
I sincerely don't understand why the toxicity for wanting characters seems so much worse Ultimate than the other Smash games. I don't remember it ever being so bad that simply saying "It would be cool if (character) were in," got you so much ridicule and troll comments.
"ACK, ACK, ACK! You like THAT character? Man, you have bad taste, are delusional, and are a brain dead simpleton! Unlike me, I like THIS character, therefore, I am superior and better than you in every eay! (Man, I'm hilarious! I told that random user just how much they suck! Now back to secretly crying about my character not getting in...)"

I sound more butthurt than any adult should about this situation...

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I sincerely don't understand why the toxicity for wanting characters seems so much worse Ultimate than the other Smash games. I don't remember it ever being so bad that simply saying "It would be cool if (character) were in," got you so much ridicule and troll comments.
"ACK, ACK, ACK! You like THAT character? Man, you have bad taste, are delusional, and are a brain dead simpleton! Unlike me, I like THIS character, therefore, I am superior and better than you in every eay! (Man, I'm hilarious! I told that random user just how much they suck! Now back to secretly crying about my character not getting in...)"

Brought to you by the hardcore gangsta nature of the fanbase lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owpopC_lFHA

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, GameFAQs is... kind of renowned for being a cesspool, not just in regards to Smash, but in general. The majority of people who flock there are young teenagers going through their holier-than-thou stages of life. I used to be one of them, and I'm sure a lot of us have been there, as well. My experience when I was that young was being a very stubborn spitfire who lived off of misery to try to stave off my own. It psychologically makes sense, too, considering the stage of life they're in.

It's a place to avoid and ignore. The underage people littering the place, though? I can't even say I dislike them for what they're doing, because they'll eventually grow up and look back at past behavior with disdain. I've been there. Many of us have been there. That being said, some people don't move on from that when they grow and only cling to it. Such is life, I'm afraid.

tl;dr: i'm too old for this ****, don't pay them any mind, it ain't worth it

Akechi_Goro

Smash Rookie
Hello, if anyone dosen’t mind me asking, does anyone here think indie characters have a chance to be in Smash?

I have been to that site and I gotta say...it’s alright besides the annoying posters. I have met some individuals who believe characters such as Quote from Cavestory or to a more kind of annoying topic somewhat, Undertale characters.

Personally, I’m game to any character really as long as they are good to play as.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Fawful is a better character than Geno and would be a better addition, but neither him nor Geno have a shot.

D

Deleted member

Fawful is a better character than Geno and would be a better addition, but neither him nor Geno have a shot.
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share this information with us. Please see yourself to the General Discussion thread

Akechi_Goro

Smash Rookie
Yeah, GameFAQs is... kind of renowned for being a cesspool, not just in regards to Smash, but in general. The majority of people who flock there are young teenagers going through their holier-than-thou stages of life. I used to be one of them, and I'm sure a lot of us have been there, as well. My experience when I was that young was being a very stubborn spitfire who lived off of misery to try to stave off my own. It psychologically makes sense, too, considering the stage of life they're in.

It's a place to avoid and ignore. The underage people littering the place, though? I can't even say I dislike them for what they're doing, because they'll eventually grow up and look back at past behavior with disdain. I've been there. Many of us have been there. That being said, some people don't move on from that when they grow and only cling to it. Such is life, I'm afraid.

tl;dr: i'm too old for this ****, don't pay them any mind, it ain't worth it
I would still say that there are some posters who are nice on that site. Still, the majority of posters on there are annoying nonetheless. Imo, the Undertale fanbase is at least a bit decent now than Smash ultimate considering some hate I get for wanting other characters that I like.

Still, I go on there for months at a time. I have to admit through, that place is a waste of time for anyone really.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Hello, if anyone dosen’t mind me asking, does anyone here think indie characters have a chance to be in Smash?

I have been to that site and I gotta say...it’s alright besides the annoying posters. I have met some individuals who believe characters such as Quote from Cavestory or to a more kind of annoying topic somewhat, Undertale characters.

Personally, I’m game to any character really as long as they are good to play as.
The only indie character that has a shot would be Steve from minecraft (if he is still considered indie). I would prefer Banjo...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I think they’re not disqualified due to being indie, but as indie games by nature are usually not huge and iconic, they’re at a disadvantage in the character selection process.

D

Deleted member

I would say Shantae, Sans, and Steve if he was considered Indie all have a shot for DLC

And Quote too

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I would still say that there are some posters who are nice on that site. Still, the majority of posters on there are annoying nonetheless. Imo, the Undertale fanbase is at least a bit decent now than Smash ultimate considering some hate I get for wanting other characters that I like.

Still, I go on there for months at a time. I have to admit through, that place is a waste of time for anyone really.
It's really a shame to me, honestly. I know for a fact that there are some legitimately great people on the site, but the loud majority kind of buries them under heaps of toxicity. If expressing appreciation for something in a mature and heartfelt manner is considered 'cringe' to a large amount of the member base, then I'd rather just stay far, far away.

You and any of the nicer posters have my respect, and it's just sad to see y'all as hidden gems in the rough.

Akechi_Goro

Smash Rookie
The only indie character that has a shot would be Steve from minecraft (if he is still considered indie). I would prefer Banjo...
I do believe he would make an interesting character. Although, I would believe he would count as a Microsoft rep, so the only other indies that I think have a chance are Sans, Quote, or if possible that spirits don’t count as a new series to Smash, Shantae.

Quote is a character I would most likely want out of the theee for myself. I don’t hate any Undertale character, but the memes from back then are still annoying for me, but, I have met some decent fans who have reasons wanting them in Smash besides memes. Shantae is a character I don’t know quite well to be honest...

Akechi_Goro

Smash Rookie
I think they’re not disqualified due to being indie, but as indie games by nature are usually not huge and iconic, they’re at a disadvantage in the character selection process.
True. They don’t have that much impact as companies do. Still, when Reggie stated surprising, new characters, I honestly thought of Quote as he’s the father figure for indies I believe.

It's really a shame to me, honestly. I know for a fact that there are some legitimately great people on the site, but the loud majority kind of buries them under heaps of toxicity. If expressing appreciation for something in a mature and heartfelt manner is considered 'cringe' to a large amount of the member base, then I'd rather just stay far, far away.

You and any of the nicer posters have my respect, and it's just sad to see y'all as hidden gems in the rough.
Yeah, you’re not wrong there. Some fanbases such as Smash from what I have heard are hatred because of indecent fans who bash on others. Still, that dosen’t mean all fanbases have fandoms like that, it’s either the vocal minority or the majority of the fans to be quite honest...

Still, even though it’s hard looking for those few nice posters, it’s still interesting to talk with them since they are not as hatred as other fans.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Plus the parameters of a "meltdown" are almost non-existent now. You all know where the slang comes from, right? It refers to a nuclear reactor letting out so much radiation that it literally starts to melt down it's containment and the surrounding area. It's about as "OH ****, OH ****, OH ****" of a situation as you can get. Nowadays, someone getting upset is a meltdown. Someone crying is a "meltdown." At worst it's cathartic and its not going to have long term affects and the person will move past it. My wife sometimes has genuine panic attacks and I'd be a genuine asshole if I labeled them "meltdowns" but something tells me the Cringe/BTFO crowd would find it hilarious because it's merely unflattering. If the worst "meltdowns" our fanbase has is rants contained within the threads specifically made to talk about Geno, I'm happy to report that we're pretty functional and psychologically stable adults.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Dude, I'd love Quote! He's actually one of my most wanted!

However, let's try to not turn the thread into the indie character support thread. XD

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Plus the parameters of a "meltdown" are almost non-existent now. You all know where the slang comes from, right? It refers to a nuclear reactor letting out so much radiation that it literally starts melt down it's containment and the surrounding area. It's about as "OH ****, OH ****, OH ****" of a situation as you can get. Nowadays, someone getting upset is a meltdown. Someone crying is a "meltdown." At worst it's cathartic and its not going to have long term affects and the person will move past it. My wife sometimes has genuine panic attacks and I'd be a genuine ******* if I labeled them "meltdowns" but something tells me the Cringe/BTFO crowd would find it hilarious because it's merely unflattering. If the worst "meltdowns" our fanbase has is rants contained within the threads specifically made to talk about Geno, I'm happy to report that we're pretty functional and psychologically stable adults.
Well, granted, I go through genuine panic attacks and I've referred to my own as 'meltdowns' before, but this has definitely given me a different perspective on usage of the word. Honestly, thank you for your input on that, and for generally being very insightful as a whole.

Akechi_Goro

Smash Rookie
Dude, I'd love Quote! He's actually one of my most wanted!

However, let's try to not turn the thread into the indie character support thread. XD
That’s nice. To me, he would bring a new moveset in Smash.

Ah, Sorry if I did so without noticing. But if you don’t mind me asking, would you unitoncally be fine if Undertale got any representation such as a fighter, AT, stage, music, or some spirits in Smash? Just curious since for myself, I do love the series, but the fact that it could cause some salt is kind of a let down...Still, any character that is announced would cause salt to be quite honest. Everyone won’t be pleased in any way.
And besides that, from what I heard besides some memes of the series starting again, the majority of the fanbase seems to be decent now. So that at least is good now considering the new fans who got tired of memes went on to new games such as Foritnite.

Oh well, still, I would be fine with their inclusion. Although, I prefer Quote much more.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Thoughts running through a Geno fan's head:

Why he doesn't have a chance:
• The latest DLC is a third party so all of them will be
• He/She said we're getting Minecraft Grandblue Slinne Sephoroth Erdick
• hE wOuLd HaVe BeEn BaSe RoStEr

Why he has great chances:
• Currently one of the most requested characters, comparable to Ridley and K. Rool
• Popular character in the Brawl Polls (and most polls since)
• He had a notable Mii costume release
• Only Mii Costume with splash screen
• 5 Mii Costumes were upgraded to playable status
• Sakurai admits wanting him since Brawl, says he would be a great addition
• Sakurai bought a robot figurine for animation reference
• Square Enix wouldn't allow any spirits EXCEPT Geno & Mallow

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Not to derail the thread or anything, but I am legitimately curious: what exactly is this "cringe/BTFO culture" I keep hearing about? I'm not super savvy in internet social science. Probably for the best, lol. But still curious.

D

Deleted member

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I am legitimately curious: what exactly is this "cringe/BTFO culture" I keep hearing about? I'm not super savvy in internet social science. Probably for the best, lol. But still curious.
Someone people want Moogle to be the SE rep and is jealous that a 22 year old character has an insane design an has gotten so much support over the years to keep him alive, even from the creator of Smash himself

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Ah, Sorry if I did so without noticing. But if you don’t mind me asking, would you unitoncally be fine if Undertale got any representation such as a fighter, AT, stage, music, or some spirits in Smash? Just curious since for myself, I do love the series, but the fact that it could cause some salt is kind of a let down...Still, any character that is announced would cause salt to be quite honest. Everyone won’t be pleased in any way.
And besides that, from what I heard besides some memes of the series starting again, the majority of the fanbase seems to be decent now. So that at least is good now considering the new fans who got tired of memes went on to new games such as Foritnite.

Oh well, still, I would be fine with their inclusion. Although, I prefer Quote much more.
I actually wouldn't mind Undertale representation at all! I think any indie representation should be welcomed with open arms all the time because it really shows how far independent studios are getting with their craft. Getting in Smash is huge for these types of developers because the game is so huge.

But yeah, back to specifically Undertale, I would not mind it at all. I think it'd be very cool actually.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I would fine with it. Not my first indie choice, but it would be a great inclusion and pave the way for more indies in the future. Also, just imagine the memes to come out of it. Imagine.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Thoughts running through a Geno fan's head:

Why he doesn't have a chance:
• The latest DLC is a third party so all of them will be
• He/She said we're getting Minecraft Grandblue Slinne Sephoroth Erdick
• hE wOuLd HaVe BeEn BaSe RoStEr

Why he has great chances:
• Currently one of the most requested characters, comparable to Ridley and K. Rool
• Popular character in the Brawl Polls (and most polls since)
• He had a notable Mii costume release
• Only Mii Costume with splash screen
• 5 Mii Costumes were upgraded to playable status
• Sakurai admits wanting him since Brawl, says he would be a great addition
• Sakurai bought a robot figurine for animation reference
• Square Enix wouldn't allow any spirits EXCEPT Geno & Mallow
Kudos to you man! I'm losing faith in Geno being DLC but this list gives me new hope that he will be in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I know right, I don't remember the speculation cycle for even 4 ever being this bad.

It's like if a character is popular enough among posters, therefore that must mean the character possibility sucks now.

It's kind of impulsively sociopathic but, if that isn't an appropriate summary of Game FAQs and 4chan, I don't know what is.
Reminder that /m/ is a better place to talk about games than on /v/. Let that sink in for a minute. Yet both are still better alternatives than talking on FAQs.

I actually wouldn't mind Undertale representation at all! I think any indie representation should be welcomed with open arms all the time because it really shows how far independent studios are getting with their craft. Getting in Smash is huge for these types of developers because the game is so huge.

But yeah, back to specifically Undertale, I would not mind it at all. I think it'd be very cool actually.
Same, I would like to see Undertale stuff in here, if only to prove naysayers that indies can get in and get rid of this video game caste system mentality.

Besides, I want to see my skelebros, and it would be cool to see Joker and Sans try to out-JoJo each other.

Akechi_Goro

Smash Rookie
I know right, I don't remember the speculation cycle for even 4 ever being this bad.

It's like if a character is popular enough among posters, therefore that must mean the character possibility sucks now.

Reminder that /m/ is a better place to talk about games than on /v/. Let that sink in for a minute. Yet both are still better alternatives than talking on FAQs.

Same, I would like to see Undertale stuff in here, if only to prove naysayers that indies can get in and get rid of this video game caste system mentality.

Besides, I want to see my skelebros, and it would be cool to see Joker and Sans try to out-JoJo each other.
I do believe that Undertale is on the Nintendo Switch. So it would not break the rule regarding games on Nintendo platiforms I believe...

People mistake Joker for not being in a game yet on Nintendo platforms, yet, he’s in PQ2 for Japan.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do believe that Undertale is on the Nintendo Switch. So it would not break the rule regarding games on Nintendo platiforms I believe...

People mistake Joker for not being in a game yet on Nintendo platforms, yet, he’s in PQ2 for Japan.
Yep. Even has an exclusive boss (even if it's just a reskin of Mad Dummy, and a partial response to the executive shenanigans Toby had to deal with for the PS4 port). It doesn't hurt that Deltarune is keeping the IP active, either.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The GameFAQS cringe train strikes again. Shared this for the lols.

Seriously, it's cute watching them squabble. It's adorable how they seem to think they have the right to cry about how "cringey" and "toxic" other Smash Boards are.
GameFAQs consistently proves itself as the daycare of the internet. The users there are like junior 4channers. Those "BTFO LOL XD" scrubs aren't worth giving an ounce of your attention to. Also, GameFAQs calling any other website on Earth "cancer" is just about the funniest thing I've heard all week.
And what's with all these trolls with age-old accounts coming in here lately just to tell us our character sucks and isn't getting in? Like, they really think we haven't dealt with that **** before? Really?

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I think the leak is fake lol Geno for life
I didn't believe on the Grinch Leak and I was a "Denial"
I don't believe on the Erdrick Leak and I'm a "Denial" now too.

I preffer to wait as always, like.. for 2 more months, I guess we're gonna have a Reveal on Febreary along with the launch of Joker and P.P

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I was starting to get pessimistic about Geno, but now I've come around to just saying, "Even if he's not in, I can still like the character." Really, it's just a fictional character, which will have no bearing to the rest of my life, or the afterlife I will go too. Why not just have fun? Geno is cool, and in Smash or not, he's still cool.
:) Right, GameFAQs? Remember when games were FUN?

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I was starting to get pessimistic about Geno, but now I've come around to just saying, "Even if he's not in, I can still like the character." Really, it's just a fictional character, which will have no bearing to the rest of my life, or the afterlife I will go too. Why not just have fun? Geno is cool, and in Smash or not, he's still cool.
Best part is that the 22yo anniversary tweet, the HQ question and the lazuliro art still exists.
Even if Geno isn't the "SE" rep, I'd still root for a SMRPG Remake :3

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, there's still other Mario characters even if he can't get in, including Pauline, Birdo, Toadette, Capt. Toad and Waluigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom