• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Unless it is 100% confirmed that Geno isn't in, I am feeling really good about his chances

Last edited by a moderator:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I dunno. I don't feel like I'm really needed anymore. The fact that people still gave a **** after Brawl when fanbases of significantly bigger characters all but evaporated was a miracle in itself, the fact that Nintendo rereleased the game three times in ten years has completely blown my mind. I see a lot of people come in here that have never even played SMRPG and really like Geno and that was almost unheard of in the Brawl days. I'm fairly certain that people will support him to some degree until he's confirmed or Nintendo flat out says he'll never be in Smash. Thanks to people like Papagenos and Terminal Montage he's not only deeply ingrained in Smash culture but Nintendo fan culture as a whole too. I don't think that would happen if I just shut my laptop, walked out of the room with a thousand yard stare, and downed a gallon of bleach, never to be heard on Smashboards again. I could be hit by a semi tomorrow and people would probably still support Geno for this game, Smash 6 and beyond.
As someone who has been around a while and remember everything you did for the community, I will say that without people like you who have been around for a long time, new fans don’t get the full story. The reason why Geno is still so popular today is because people like you never gave up and kept the dream alive.

I’ll never tell someone to not look out for their mental well-being, and if you need time away, I’ll back you 1000%, but it’s people like you who keep threads like this alive. I guarantee you that you make more of an impact on people than you even know, which means if you need to walk away, everyone will be on board.

I hope everything is okay with you. If you need an ear, shoot me a message. Like I said, I support you either way.

D

Deleted member

As someone who has been around a while and remember everything you did for the community, I will say that without people like you who have been around for a long time, new fans don’t get the full story. The reason why Geno is still so popular today is because people like you never gave up and kept the dream alive.

I’ll never tell someone to not look out for their mental well-being, and if you need time away, I’ll back you 1000%, but it’s people like you who keep threads like this alive. I guarantee you that you make more of an impact on people than you even know, which means if you need to walk away, everyone will be on board.

I hope everything is okay with you. If you need an ear, shoot me a message. Like I said, I support you either way.
I haven't been a Geno for Smash supporter as long as a lot of you have, but I will support you all as well :)

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Although I'm very new to Smashboards, I am genuinely saddened over the fact that so many people are quitting the Geno speculations since everyone brought up so many incredible points, although I totally understand and respect their decisions. Hopefully I'll see everyone participating again in the future since you all inspired me to join the Geno speculation in the first place!

Relating to Geno, what annoys me the most during this entire Smash 5 speculation season is how much he's been hinted at. There have been direct hints, indirect hints, tin-foil hat speculations that make sense, and if he doesn't get in during this wave of DLCs (which I honestly am starting to sincerely believe at this point), I'll be extremely frustrated over the fact that everything seemed to line up and nothing came to fruition. I feel like Nintendo knows how much he's wanted but have not capitalized on his inclusion, for what reason I have no idea. Heck, we didn't even get SMRPG music in the game, which is absolutely killing me, speculation-wise. It just seems so strange, like SE or someone else is holding Sakurai back from actually implementing him as a fighter. Like others have said before, I too would have preferred a hard deconfirmation than waiting months on end for a final yes or no answer. The good thing is that even if Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate, I am genuinely certain that he will appear as a playable character in the next Super Smash Bros. game. The amount of online coverage, expectations of his inclusions, and outright massive fan appeal that he has generated this time around has been incredible.

We've had a Mii costume for him, a high-class Spirit of him, and soon enough, I'm 100% positive that he will become playable in the future. Even if I don't believe he is as likely as I once believed for this wave of DLCs, I will never stop giving up hope for Geno. As long as everyone continues to come together in support of him, I'm absolutely certain that he will appear as a playable character in a Smash Bros. game, whether it be Ultimate or another one in the future.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Although I'm very new to Smashboards, I am genuinely saddened over the fact that so many people quitting the Geno speculations since everyone brought up so many incredible points, although I totally understand and respect their decisions. Hopefully I'll see everyone participating again in the future since you all inspired me to join the Geno speculation in the first place!

Relating to Geno, what annoys me the most during this entire Smash 5 speculation season is how much he's been hinted at. There have been direct hints, indirect hints, tin-foil hat speculations that make sense, and if he doesn't get in during this wave of DLCs (which I honestly am starting to sincerely believe at this point), I'll be extremely frustrated over the fact that everything seemed to line up and nothing came to fruition. I feel like Nintendo knows how much he's wanted but have not capitalized on his inclusion, for what reason I have no idea. Heck, we didn't even get SMRPG msic in the game, which is absolutely killing me, speculation-wise. It just seems so strange, like SE or someone else is holding Sakurai back from actually implementing him as a fighter. Like others have said before, I too would have preferred a hard deconfirmation than waiting months on end for a final yes or no answer. The good thing is that even if Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate, I am genuinely certain that he will appear as a playable character in the next Super Smash Bros. game. The amount of online coverage, expectations of his inclusions, and outright massive fan appeal that he has generated this time around has been incredible.

We've had a Mii costume for him, a high-class Spirit of him, and soon enough, I'm 100% positive that he will become playable in the future. Even if I don't believe he is as likely as I once believed for this wave of DLCs, I will never stop giving up hope for Geno. As long as everyone continues to come together in support of him, I'm absolutely certain that he will appear as a playable character in a Smash Bros. game, whether it be Ultimate or another one in the future.
Count me in for the support :)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Although I'm very new to Smashboards, I am genuinely saddened over the fact that so many people quitting the Geno speculations since everyone brought up so many incredible points, although I totally understand and respect their decisions. Hopefully I'll see everyone participating again in the future since you all inspired me to join the Geno speculation in the first place!

Relating to Geno, what annoys me the most during this entire Smash 5 speculation season is how much he's been hinted at. There have been direct hints, indirect hints, tin-foil hat speculations that make sense, and if he doesn't get in during this wave of DLCs (which I honestly am starting to sincerely believe at this point), I'll be extremely frustrated over the fact that everything seemed to line up and nothing came to fruition. I feel like Nintendo knows how much he's wanted but have not capitalized on his inclusion, for what reason I have no idea. Heck, we didn't even get SMRPG msic in the game, which is absolutely killing me, speculation-wise. It just seems so strange, like SE or someone else is holding Sakurai back from actually implementing him as a fighter. Like others have said before, I too would have preferred a hard deconfirmation than waiting months on end for a final yes or no answer. The good thing is that even if Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate, I am genuinely certain that he will appear as a playable character in the next Super Smash Bros. game. The amount of online coverage, expectations of his inclusions, and outright massive fan appeal that he has generated this time around has been incredible.

I'll be here as well.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Finally got the components to summon up our boi.

20181209_170925 (2).jpg

It's a bittersweet accomplishment until we get a yay/nay on his DLC inclusion, but for now it's good to have this at least.

You all fight his spirit yet? Apparently it's one of the harder event battles so I just lucked into the components to get him quick.

D

Deleted member

Finally got the components to summon up our boi.

View attachment 182472

It's a bittersweet accomplishment until we get a yay/nay on his DLC inclusion, but for now it's good to have this at least.

You all fight his spirit yet? Apparently it's one of the harder event battles so I just lucked into the components to get him quick.
It's going to take me forever to get his and Ninten's spirits. I just need them now

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
What the hell are you even on? I'm not familiar with Persona at all, but frankly art cannot have intent as it isn't a living, breathing thing. Sure, it can have the creators intent poured into it, but that is different than having intent. Thus, a video game itself cannot be transphobic itself, but rather it could have creator intent and ideals mixed in and therefore the creator could be.

Even still, what the hell does that mean? All I see is weird stuff like blowing your brains out to summon your true power and art style that makes me wonder if I took drugs before watching but with good things mixed in like accepting your flaws and working on them brings you closer to your true self and empowers you.
Your opening there seems a bit aggressive and closed minded. I'm not "on anything". I'm more than happy to explain my viewpoint though.

The persona series includes a section with a romanceable trans man named Naoto. As part of this characters story arc you work to convince them to not go through with their planned surgery. The game frames it as "dangerous experiment" that you convince them not to go through with. They end up framing the character as a woman who is fed up with their treatment by men, but the character visibly shows signs of gender dysphoria including being uncomfortable with their naked body when surrounded by cis women in a hot springs scene. The game then further erases his identity when you pursue them as a romance option. When he explicitly tells you that he " wishes he had been born a boy" you have the option to tell them that you are "glad they are a girl" completely invalidating their identity. You can then ask them to start talking in a higher pitch and ultimately the character then attends an event dressed in womens clothing.

This invalidates trans identity and paints a picture that its ok to do this to trans persons. This kind of behavior is something that trans individuals have to deal with often and was something that my ex-fiance had to deal with daily at her job. She was transitioning MtF and her chef and other coworkers refused to ever acknowledge her, gender her correctly, or even try. Even after her body physically changed they refused. She had to completely move to a new job with people who did not know her just be able to shake that kind of abuse. That is why this series bothers me and why I think that kind of "art" just promotes intolerance.

The series also has a trans woman named Erica who is handled just at poorly. Everything from a characters friends makeing fun of him for his relationship with her, to that character considering them weird and then being disgusted when they find out she is trans. The game also further invalidates her identity by having her have the same nightmares as other characters when the nightmares only affect men. The game doesn't even take her identity seriously.

It is possible to have trans characters in a game while not invalidating their existence or painting them as fake. Persona does not do this. That is where my disgust stems from. I hope you now understand my frustration and know that I am not "on something" as you put.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Huh...So Game Theory’s latest video went into a discussion (in part) on the toxic fanbase(s) of Smash, and used the Geno base as the generalized scapegoat.

I know every fanbase has got its fair share of bad eggs, but I guess I always felt we generally were a more chill group of fans than ones you’d find in other corners of the internet. So it surprised me that we kinda got singled out in that way.

*shrug*, or maybe I’m just ignorant.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Huh...So Game Theory’s latest video went into a discussion (in part) on the toxic fanbase(s) of Smash, and used the Geno base as the generalized scapegoat.

I know every fanbase has got its fair share of bad eggs, but I guess I always felt we generally were a more chill group of fans than ones you’d find in other corners of the internet. So it surprised me that we kinda got singled out in that way.

I know that on some places like /v/ on 4chan it’s pretty common (as in a few times a day) for people to make b8/hate threads specifically about Geno and for people to falseflag as Geno supporters and ****post and I could see people who don’t know any better taking it at face value. Outside of that more often than not I’ve just seen people be generally dismissive to outright negative when they talk about Geno and his fans. Like go on Twitter, 4chan and anywhere else and search for Geno and you’ll find people who seemingly get off on Geno being deconfirmed or the thought of Geno fans being upset. It’s really weird.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I was super confident in Geno for base roster, but he kinda dropped to a 50/50 shot later on. I just don't know what to think about a lot of the factors some people seem to take as good signs. Then someone brought up a good point how "Legend" ranked Spirits might be a kind of consolation and it's worried me. I'm more 30/70 on Geno.

In any case, this thread has been moving too fast to keep up with, so i'm probably just going to duck out from now on. Geno still has my full support but not much of my confidence. I'm just happy he's in the game at all at this point. A lot of the Geno speculation really put into perspective just how special Super Mario RPG is to me as a fan of Mario games.

D

Deleted member

I've been playing TONS of World of Light. Right now I only have about 18 more characters left to unlock. I'm just blasting through WoL right now. My team of spirits is made up of Geno, Victini and Star Rod, and the character I'm using is Donkey Kong. Using this team saw the result of spirit battles ending in seconds.

Speaking of spirit battles, what were the hardest ones to complete for you? For me it was the Jeff one. I used DK with a Franklin Badge to get him, and now that I think about it, a lot if spirit battles I couldn't beat before were beaten easily when I switched to DK.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

They saw 2 people complaining that Geno wasn't in , and they say the entire fanbase is like that.

They see 2 edgy kids sending edgy Waluigi memes to Sakurai , and all of a sudden , every Waluigi supporter is a troll.

They see one Ashley fan very angry about Castlevania making it over Ashley , and they memed him/her and assume that the whole Ashley fanbase is like that and are mostly pedophiles.

**** the internet. There is a difference between Alpharad thinking Geno won't make it in and calling a whole community toxic. Game theory lacked interest to me , but now? No way I'm watching another of their video.

Last edited:

NanoGeno

Smash Rookie
The generalization of Geno fans in that Game Theory honestly does bother me a bit. The only time I see Geno being brought up now on YouTube and Reddit is people jumping at the chance to “deconfirm” him or drag him and his fanbase’s name through the mud. This site feels like the only place I can talk about my hopes and dreams for Geno and not be attacked or mocked. I know Game Theory probably didn’t mean much harm, but it will just give the haters more justification to hate.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm going to be honest: All these people jumping ship just because Fatmanonice decided that it was best for him just feels really lame to me. I totally understand where he's coming from. He made his view on things very clear. But, really, everyone was game to discuss Geno a couple days ago when we've known he's had a spirit in-game for weeks now and even yesterday after the Joker reveal. But then one guy decides it's time to step down after over a decade of posting because he's feeling disillusioned by it all and like half the thread decides to let everyone know that they're leaving too? I can get not feeling into DLC speculation when we're going to have months in-between announcements or feeling that Geno isn't getting in, but like, can't people have just not posted anymore rather than making a declaration about it? It just feels really silly and if anything comes off as people jumping off a bandwagon so to speak. Let me be clear: I'm NOT saying the people who did are bandwagon fans at all, but just pointing out that's what a lot of people will perceive it as. And if people really want Geno to get in at some point down the line in a possible Wave 2 of DLC (if that even happens) people losing hope and hype so quickly isn't going to make that happen. I feel like a lot of people got excited about Geno in SSBU specifically because the passion others int he community have for the character, and a cessation of visible support isn't really going to help that at all. I think if anything that's what happens to the characters who were previously hotly requested and then pretty much lost steam over the years between installments.

Last edited:

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Everyone is here? More like everyone is gone. Man is it depressing to see everyone jump ship after Fatmanonice left and let me declare I’m not saying it’s his or anyone’s fault if you genuinely want to quit speculating cause you’re tired or want a break that’s more than fine you do you but over half the Thread left in the span of a couple of hours but if you’re just bandwagoning please come back,

If we want Geno in smash we can’t just up and leave we need to push for a wave 2 and let’s say he gets in wave 1 would it be for nothing? No. Isaac fans most certainly want a Wave 2 so they could have another shot so either way pushing for wave 2 isn’t a bad idea whatsoever.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
It’s kind of crazy. Last week we were getting 100+ viewers here. It’s dropped to a crazy like 20-50 at most.

I’m any case, idk what to think at this point, but I wouldn’t take the legendary spirits so seriously. A lot of characters next to the main characters in the series get that honor. (Ness’s Dad, Mario Tennis, Jeff) and a lot of characters who still show up in game in some form are legendary (Dr. Wily, Spring-Man)

Further: why isn’t Bomberman legendary? Is Shantae?

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
It’s kind of crazy. Last week we were getting 100+ viewers here. It’s dropped to a crazy like 20-50 at most.
Realistically the increase was likely due to people posting leak info Polar had said in the thread to 4chan and other sites and people followed links to get here and were probably lurking in the discussion.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Realistically the increase was likely due to people posting leak info Polar had said in the thread to 4chan and other sites and people followed links to get here and were probably lurking in the discussion.
Yeah that’s probably it if we’re being realistic, though bringing up Polar I wonder if he’ll still post here or if he’ll just post on say the Squenix rep thread.

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
The generalization of Geno fans in that Game Theory honestly does bother me a bit. The only time I see Geno being brought up now on YouTube and Reddit is people jumping at the chance to “deconfirm” him or drag him and his fanbase’s name through the mud. This site feels like the only place I can talk about my hopes and dreams for Geno and not be attacked or mocked. I know Game Theory probably didn’t mean much harm, but it will just give the haters more justification to hate.
Yeah, same here. The Geno haters can be incredibly savage, treating his fans like absolute dirt. And then it’s us that are seen as the toxic group? It doesn’t make sense.

This is really the only place to talk about Geno without getting all kinds of flack. Honestly, chatting with you guys about Geno was the only reason I got an account (I’ve been lurking ever since Smash 4).

(And for what it’s worth, I’m not jumping ship)

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Took 30 hrs, but 100% completed WoL/D!!

I haven't caught up on the last few pages or so, but figured I add my two cents about Ultimate's mechanics: Right now I have my reservations, but it seems like the knockback is what is really throwing me off and (at least for me) I can't replicate some (if not nearly all) of the same advanced techniques/combos with my previous Smash 4 characters.

Many characters feel like the overall shell of their previous self is there, but there are just SO many slight tweaks that Nothing seems to click.

My overall impression is that I don't know how to feel I guess. Diddy plays like Diddy... but then he doesnt. It's hard to articulate.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Well, I'm still here, more or less. I may be the oldest Geno fan left here, if Psycho decides to call it quits too. To a point, I get it: I bailed for almost a month after the November direct, so I understand the need for breaks. But I'm hearing a lot of final declarations here, mostly due to the idea of being "too old" to continue--to each their own, I suppose, but imo bailing on something you obviously like doing because you think you have to is actually less mature than restricting yourself to "adult" behavior.

C.S. Lewis once said that it's a sign of arrested development to worry about being considered immature. The idea is to be confident enough to do what you want with your free time, at any age, regardless of others' opinions. The man wrote children's books until he died, and read fairy tales for fun in his elder years. Like a boss.

To all you fellow "boomers" out there, It's also worth noting...we're going to be a new generation of adults and seniors. One that hasn't existed before. One raised on Nicktoons, video games, and nerd culture. We can and will be anything. Just because our age has hit a certain number doesn't mean we have to hike our pants above our navels and start listening to oldies. Kids are getting mentally older earlier, and adults staying mentally younger longer. The age gap is decreasing each generation. Don't perpetuate age stereotypes by submitting to them.

And in general, if you like something and aren't hurting anyone in the process...enjoy what you enjoy without fear. Own it.

Anyway...hopefully that raised some spirits, or at least eased some concerns. Back to discussion.

World of Light is so much fun! It is so long too. What was everyone's hardest spirit battle in WoL?

Mine was the battle with 9 metal Mega Men
Speaking of spirit battles, what were the hardest ones to complete for you? For me it was the Jeff one. I used DK with a Franklin Badge to get him, and now that I think about it, a lot if spirit battles I couldn't beat before were beaten easily when I switched to DK.
I was trying to remember which one caused me the most trouble, and then you said it, @Maxie! Man, Jeff was a pain...I wish I had had the Franklin Badge. I did it straight with DK. Took about 20 tries...

Haven't gotten to Geno yet, but I can't wait. Sounds like he's gonna be trouble, too. But it's worth it!

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I was trying to remember which one caused me the most trouble, and then you said it, @Maxie! Man, Jeff was a pain...I wish I had had the Franklin Badge. I did it straight with DK. Took about 20 tries...

Haven't gotten to Geno yet, but I can't wait. Sounds like he's gonna be trouble, too. But it's worth it!
Pauline and Jeff were both outright awful, but the worst one is 18 Volt and 9 volt. That level is outright evil.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
imo bailing on something you obviously like doing because you think you have to is actually less mature than restricting yourself to "adult" behavior.

C.S. Lewis once said that it's a sign of arrested development to worry about being considered immature. The idea is to be confident enough to do what you want with your free time, at any age, regardless of others' opinions. The man wrote children's books until he died, and read fairy tales for fun in his elder years. Like a boss.

To all you fellow "boomers" out there, It's also worth noting...we're going to be a new generation of adults and seniors. One that hasn't existed before. One raised on Nicktoons, video games, and nerd culture. We can and will be anything. Just because our age has hit a certain number doesn't mean we have to hike our pants above our navels and start listening to oldies. Kids are getting mentally older earlier, and adults staying mentally younger longer. The age gap is decreasing each generation. Don't perpetuate age stereotypes by submitting to them.
P R E A C H
I'm a almost boomer and I know plenty of people in their 30s and 40s who still play games, read comics, etc. I mean, Robin Williams openly spoke of his love for gaming in his 40s-50s ffs, It's not even as geeky/weird to play video games in society as an adult in the way it was 10-20 years ago. Gaming is more mainstream than ever and you have more parents who grew up playing games also playing with their kids. The world is changing.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
In any case, I super hope we get Geno, if not to really put some ease to you guys. This is super personal and there are a lot of feelings attached so I really hope we get him. Things are looking kind of bleak, and things are looking very likely to be DQ or Crono, BUT, I’m gonna keep scouring Ultimate to see if I can theorycraft anything else about our puppet boi.

I especially hope we get Geno because really outside of here, most other sites are pretty much seeing him as deconfirmed

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Well , I ain't jumping of the ship.

If I can keep playing video games since I was 5 years old , despise all the stupid arguments Iv'e recieved , I think supporting Geno for as a long as I can isn't out of the picture.
I just has to show that I like the puppet and SMRPG , and vote if there is another ballot.

I won't stop because of some trolls , they're not worth my time if they spend their free time complaining about people who just want their character playable in Smash Bros.

And as PhilosophicAnimal said , nobody is too old for doing what they like. It's common sense for me , but hey , the society like to put pressure for people who just enjoy the things they like. It's silly when you think about it , people can't let other live their life.

We may be ridiculous supporting a blue puppet who shot Kamehameha waves , but we're having fun and we're not a nuisance. So what's the problem ? None.

And even , if he doesn't make it into Smash Ultimate... What about Crusade and Legacy XP tourney? Geno is playable in those games , we could even make community montages !
Or , Iv'e seen other suggestions , like doing something similar to Golden Sunday.
Or just continue to draw , make music , roleplay , or making pies while talking about Geno.
Like , seriously , the Geno pie will become a meme lol

I think we just need to all stay together in the Geno thread , Star Road discord server , or stuff like that.

Of course we shouldn't be forced to be like "Sieep , eat , pray for the holy starsend savior , bake a pie , eat , sleep , repeat".
But simple discussions from time to time are enough to have a good time , you know?

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
I've been playing TONS of World of Light. Right now I only have about 18 more characters left to unlock. I'm just blasting through WoL right now. My team of spirits is made up of Geno, Victini and Star Rod, and the character I'm using is Donkey Kong. Using this team saw the result of spirit battles ending in seconds.

Probably Dr. Wily to be honest and that’s only since I forgot how I beat Jeff and I still haven’t beaten Pauline or “The boss” those three would’ve been my answer though Dr. Wily was super difficult for me to the point I had to lower the difficulty to beat him, Big yikes.

Well , I ain't jumping of the ship.

If I can keep playing video games since I was 5 years old , despise all the stupid arguments Iv'e recieved , I think supporting Geno for as a long as I can isn't out of the picture.
I just has to show that I like the puppet and SMRPG , and vote if there is another ballot.

I won't stop because of some trolls , they're not worth my time if they spend their free time complaining about people who just want their character playable in Smash Bros.

And as PhilosophicAnimal said , nobody is too old for doing what they like. It's common sense for me , but hey , the society like to put pressure for people who just enjoy the things they like. It's silly when you think about it , people can't let other live their life.

We may be ridiculous supporting a blue puppet who shot Kamehameha waves , but we're having fun and we're not a nuisance. So what's the problem ? None.

And even , if he doesn't make it into Smash Ultimate... What about Crusade and Legacy XP tourney? Geno is playable in those games , we could even make community montages !
Or , Iv'e seen other suggestions , like doing something similar to Golden Sunday.
Or just continue to draw , make music , roleplay , or making pies while talking about Geno.
Like , seriously , the Geno pie will become a meme lol

I think we just need to all stay together in the Geno thread , Star Road discord server , or stuff like that.

Of course we shouldn't be forced to be like "Sieep , eat , pray for the holy starsend savior , bake a pie , eat , sleep , repeat".
But simple discussions from time to time are enough to have a good time , you know?
Agreed, you’re never too old to do something you find fun.

People watch sports in their 80’s or 70’s no reason to tell them to stop same goes for people who like to play video games and talk about video games no matter the age enjoy what makes you happy and if that’s rooting for a Video game character to get into smash then so be it.

And I personally won’t jump ship either it’s ride or die time bayyybeeeee

Smady

Smash Master
I posted earlier in this thread about how Geno seemed likely and yeah, that clearly didn't materialize. I thought Sakurai's comments on the character plus his costume were meaningful. Apparently it was correct to assume being mentioned off-the-cuff is bad.

Now we're in the endgame of third parties and I don't see Geno happening over a bigger Square-Enix IP. When Nintendo decided the characters and Joker is in, hard to see Geno fitting into the roster. He needed to be in the base game as a quasi Nintendo character.

At this point you may as well hope for a remake or new SMRPG game. That may be what it takes for this character to make it and it is very unlikely.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Probably Dr. Wily to be honest and that’s only since I forgot how I beat Jeff and I still haven’t beaten Pauline or “The boss” those three would’ve been my answer though Dr. Wily was super difficult for me to the point I had to lower the difficulty to beat him, Big yikes.
Oh yeah, he was a killer. But I found a pretty great way of taking him out: The psychic children. The metal Mega Men will blindly fire into PSI magnet like it's not even there, and bam--full stamina in seconds. Then just spam PK moves with a PSI-enhancing spirit equipped. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Haven't tried Pauline or the Boss, but I agree with Hot_N_Tasty Hot_N_Tasty on the Volts. Sheriff AT is far too good of a shot.

Agreed, you’re never too old to do something you find fun.

People watch sports in their 80’s or 70’s no reason to tell them to stop same goes for people who like to play video games and talk about video games no matter the age enjoy what makes you happy and if that’s rooting for a Video game character to get into smash then so be it.

And I personally won’t jump ship either it’s ride or die time bayyybeeeee
This. It's kind of unfair how games are still treated this way, when practically every other form of entertainment can be enjoyed at any age. Even cartoons are starting to be accepted. We are getting there, I think, but it's slow going.

And since you mentioned sports...it's interesting to note that when an athlete gets too old to play, they usually stay in the sport culture in other ways. Like coaching, or commentating. If you care enough about something, you stick with it.

I'm sticking by my puppet.:)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Why the sudden shift in attitude? The day after the VGA's there was a ton of positivity. Is there something I actually missed or is it just members being disillusioned?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
This is my realistic/hopeful expectations for the remaining DLC characters:

1. Lloyd Irving - Namco Rep
2. Alt. choice - Jin Kazama - Namco Rep
2. Dante (Devil May Cry, not the god awful one from DmC either, plz no) - Capcom Rep
2. Alt. choice - Monster Hunter - Capcom Rep
3. Raiden (Metal Gear series) - Konami Rep
3. Alt. choice - Goemon - Konami Rep
4. Geno (Best for last) - Square Enix Rep
4. Alt. choice - Vivi or Sephiroth - Square Enix Rep

Cause after Joker from Persona 5, anything could happen.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Whew, a lot to catch up on.

And I'm not stopping yet either. I was lurking on the Geno threads back in the Brawl days, I was watching things in the Smash 4 days, and I'm not about to walk away.

I'm more optimistic as time goes on. Thanks again to all y'all who're taking a break. Gonna miss ya. :)

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
I was super confident in Geno for base roster, but he kinda dropped to a 50/50 shot later on. I just don't know what to think about a lot of the factors some people seem to take as good signs. Then someone brought up a good point how "Legend" ranked Spirits might be a kind of consolation and it's worried me. I'm more 30/70 on Geno.

In any case, this thread has been moving too fast to keep up with, so i'm probably just going to duck out from now on. Geno still has my full support but not much of my confidence. I'm just happy he's in the game at all at this point. A lot of the Geno speculation really put into perspective just how special Super Mario RPG is to me as a fan of Mario games.
Ok, everybody is dropping the boat and as a long time supporter I will try to motivate people for as long as I can and I'll keep fighting for Geno until I die.
So I'm going to make this post as a response for thirsty-pocket thirsty-pocket but this is an argument for Geno, Sora and DLC wave 2. Keep with me and it will be worth it till the end:

When you just ask "Why Geno?" then it's hard to believe he's in. But that is the wrong question. If you believe all the rumours going around and the leakers, then you know that a Square Rep is coming. So Geno don't have to win over every profitable/popular character in the universe, he just need to win over other 6 names.
When you look at Geno you can see flaws. Obviously, because he actually has them. But the point is: Geno only have to win over 6 other names that also have flaws! (You already know them if you read a few posts over the last 3 weeks). And all this means is that in this competition everyone is fighting equally, each with its own flaws. What is incredibly awesome for Geno, but let me finish with my final points:

I put all this argument to say that Geno's chances are close to 1/7 ~= 14%, at least it isn't a deconfirmation but it's still really bad isn't it?
Well, I would be pessimistic too if wasn't for a little strange things happening, imagine this:

You are Sakurai and you work for Nintendo. Nintendo has two extremely valuable assets: the IPs and the fans. Now, as I was saying, you are Sakurai, so imagine a world when Geno received so much love and support that you or your PR told you to make a public statement about his absence and you did it! Then you make a incredible game, organize all the Nintendo Directs, prepare surprises like K. Rool and Ridley, and every time that you show new content for the game everybody scream that it's going to be the best Smash game ever. You would be so happy and proud of your work, wouldn't you? And in fact you are!

But than suddenly something happens: You release the last Direct and even telling people from the start that this game is going to have FEW new fighters, just because some wierd "grinch leak" everybody is mad and you start to receive hundreds of letters and thousands of emails every single day from every sort of fanbases. Now, you are working with Square and both of you agree to make 1 new character as DLC, and Square decided to put leakbaits out there so people can't leak this 1 new character. Now I want you to remeber everything that I sad, close your eyes for a second and imagine this facts: fans are important for Nintendo, you already puplic expressed you support for Geno, your last Direct viralized in a bad way, Square's leakbaiting characters what could badly interfere in all of this rage.

Now close your eyes, imagine this and open again...
How in this world, with all the power and responsibility that you have, could you allow Square to provoke any strong fasebase even more and take the risk to generate bad reviews, boycott flash mobs, lose fans, etc? Nintendo would never allow Square to provoke Sora's, Crono's, Geno's or DQ's fanbase for Smash because they need this people to get money and viralize Smash in a good way. But this is happening right? And here comes the plot twist: It doesn't matter how many times Verge or any other Leaker has been wrong vs how many times they had been right, we don't care for Verge's reputation or any of them, we care for Smash, and so we need to analyze how many times Leaker had spoiled things and how many times Nintendo had a surprise for us, and looking to Smash they have existed countless times, I could say that almost 80% of SSBU contents and surprises didn't came from Leakers and came from Nintendo itself (everybody is here, what spritis are, King K Roll, Smash is a new game and not a port, we have Gamecube controllers back, etc) , what proves us that Nintendo is capable of keeping secrets independent of they methods.
And knowing all this, what does that say about Geno's leakbait thing?
That this is wrong info, this probably didn't came from Nintendo's or Square's headquarters but came from managers (who do not know all the infos) managing employees who can't keep their mouths shut, even with all the threats. Geno or anybody else ISN'T leakbait, headquarter's people care for they fans, they don't to this, the people who take decisions and know everything about Smash don't to this, this is only people tring to shut employees, without even knowing all the infos, to create a caos and prevent surprises to be spoiled.
Nintendo WILL surprise us, they have to, they money depends on this and they are good in it. So every time that someone says that DQ is more likely, more I think that Slime, Erdrick, Luminary are out. And every time that someone says that Geno or Sora are out, more I think that it's going to be one of them or probably both because DLC Wave 2 is very likely considering the financial success of Smash and the need to make everyone play online for as long as possible in order to justify Switch Online and it's lack of features. I mean, it's not a coincidence that every Nintendo's multiplayer games were released in less that 2 years, that all of them are getting free or paid DLCs and even Splatoon's post release content has been extended for longer than planned... At february of 2020 (the last SSBU's DLC) all this "olds" multiplayers games from 2017 (Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart) will have lost strength and Nintendo will need to fulfill this gap with more content for the "new" ones (Smash, Mario Tennis and Mario Party) bacause what do we have left? Mario Golf? Mario Kart 9? Unless that Pokemon 2019 and Animal Crossing have great Online Contents that justify people paying for years and years of Nintendo Switch subscription... Who knows? Too far for speculation lol

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Oh man, you literally can't ignore how depressing this thread has became since Fatmanonice's departure. It's not his fault in any way, but it just really sad that such really cool people decided to jump from the ship. :')

Anyway, my random 2 cents on this whole situation: I'm staying till the very end. Personally I feel like Geno has a solid 50/50 chance getting in -- he's either confirmed or deconfirmed. He definitely has a lot of stuff going on in his favor; the Vifam figure is still relevant since Sakurai recently mentioned that he won't port KI:U on Switch and he has no other projects involvements besides for Ultimate.

Basically I see a positive light here, but I'm not risking to be blinded by it, y'know.

Why the sudden shift in attitude? The day after the VGA's there was a ton of positivity. Is there something I actually missed or is it just members being disillusioned?
1) People misinterpreting Reggie's words
2) People thinking that such a modern character like Joker, who's a big fan favorite among various people, including Sakurai himself, BTFOs Geno's chances
And probably more idk

D

Deleted member

Ok, everybody is dropping the boat and as a long time supporter I will try to motivate people for as long as I can and I'll keep fighting for Geno until I die.
So I'm going to make this post as a response for thirsty-pocket thirsty-pocket but this is an argument for Geno, Sora and DLC wave 2. Keep with me and it will be worth it till the end:

When you just ask "Why Geno?" then it's hard to believe he's in. But that is the wrong question. If you believe all the rumours going around and the leakers, then you know that a Square Rep is coming. So Geno don't have to win over every profitable/popular character in the universe, he just need to win over other 6 names.
When you look at Geno you can see flaws. Obviously, because he actually has them. But the point is: Geno only have to win over 6 other names that also have flaws! (You already know them if you read a few posts over the last 3 weeks). And all this means is that in this competition everyone is fighting equally, each with its own flaws. What is incredibly awesome for Geno, but let me finish with my final points:

I put all this argument to say that Geno's chances are close to 1/7 ~= 14%, at least it isn't a deconfirmation but it's still really bad isn't it?
Well, I would be pessimistic too if wasn't for a little strange things happening, imagine this:

You are Sakurai and you work for Nintendo. Nintendo has two extremely valuable assets: the IPs and the fans. Now, as I was saying, you are Sakurai, so imagine a world when Geno received so much love and support that you or your PR told you to make a public statement about his absence and you did it! Then you make a incredible game, organize all the Nintendo Directs, prepare surprises like K. Rool and Ridley, and every time that you show new content for the game everybody scream that it's going to be the best Smash game ever. You would be so happy and proud of your work, wouldn't you? And in fact you are!

But than suddenly something happens: You release the last Direct and even telling people from the start that this game is going to have FEW new fighters, just because some wierd "grinch leak" everybody is mad and you start to receive hundreds of letters and thousands of emails every single day from every sort of fanbases. Now, you are working with Square and both of you agree to make 1 new character as DLC, and Square decided to put leakbaits out there so people can't leak this 1 new character. Now I want you to remeber everything that I sad, close your eyes for a second and imagine this facts: fans are important for Nintendo, you already puplic expressed you support for Geno, your last Direct viralized in a bad way, Square's leakbaiting characters what could badly interfere in all of this rage.

Now close your eyes, imagine this and open again...
How in this world, with all the power and responsibility that you have, could you allow Square to provoke any strong fasebase even more and take the risk to generate bad reviews, boycott flash mobs, lose fans, etc? Nintendo would never allow Square to provoke Sora's, Crono's, Geno's or DQ's fanbase for Smash because they need this people to get money and viralize Smash in a good way. But this is happening right? And here comes the plot twist: It doesn't matter how many times Verge or any other Leaker has been wrong vs how many times they had been right, we don't care for Verge's reputation or any of them, we care for Smash, and so we need to analyze how many times Leaker had spoiled things and how many times Nintendo had a surprise for us, and looking to Smash they have existed countless times, I could say that almost 80% of SSBU contents and surprises didn't came from Leakers and came from Nintendo itself (everybody is here, what spritis are, King K Roll, Smash is a new game and not a port, we have Gamecube controllers back, etc) , what proves us that Nintendo is capable of keeping secrets independent of they methods.
And knowing all this, what does that say about Geno's leakbait thing?
That this is wrong info, this probably didn't came from Nintendo's or Square's headquarters but came from managers (who do not know all the infos) managing employees who can't keep their mouths shut, even with all the threats. Geno or anybody else ISN'T leakbait, headquarter's people care for they fans, they don't to this, the people who take decisions and know everything about Smash don't to this, this is only people tring to shut employees, without even knowing all the infos, to create a caos and prevent surprises to be spoiled.
Nintendo WILL surprise us, they have to, they money depends on this and they are good in it. So every time that someone says that DQ is more likely, more I think that Slime, Erdrick, Luminary are out. And every time that someone says that Geno or Sora are out, more I think that it's going to be one of them or probably both because DLC Wave 2 is very likely considering the financial success of Smash and the need to make everyone play online for as long as possible in order to justify Switch Online and it's lack of features. I mean, it's not a coincidence that every Nintendo's multiplayer games were released in less that 2 years, that all of them are getting free or paid DLCs and even Splatoon's post release content has been extended for longer than planned... At february of 2020 (the last SSBU's DLC) all this "olds" multiplayers games from 2017 (Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart) will have lost strength and Nintendo will need to fulfill this gap with more content for the "new" ones (Smash, Mario Tennis and Mario Party) bacause what do we have left? Mario Golf? Mario Kart 9? Unless that Pokemon 2019 and Animal Crossing have great Online Contents that justify people paying for years and years of Nintendo Switch subscription... Who knows? Too far for speculation lol
I want to like this more than once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom