• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
You make a fantastic point. It's amazing how a 22 year old character from a game from 1996 is still getting a lot of love today, and we've been loving and supporting Geno for almost two decades! Thanks for making a great point, Forsaken, I appreciate it. :)

WOW, I'M BLOWN AWAY! This is awesome! I hope to see Isaac if there is a wave 2 for DLC, and if there is a Golden Sun game coming to the Switch, I'll try it out. Question: is that you cosplaying as Isaac?
It is me yes. I am going to dominate the local scene in Florida and hopefully be able to travel to evo or frostbite next year for max exposure.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Don’t forget Isaac. I just really hope nintendo is at least thinking about the prospect of adding a golden sun rep especially if there is a future golden sun game for the Nintendo switch on the way. In the meantime I’m supporting golden sun getting revived and Isaac getting in as dlc in a possible wave 2 or 1 as a character on the roster by competing as literally him in the smash pro scene. I even took 1st place at my locals yesterday!View attachment 182418View attachment 182419
What an amazing cosplay, you should be proud!

beans

Smash Lord
It is me yes. I am going to dominate the local scene in Florida and hopefully be able to travel to evo or frostbite next year for max exposure.
Thats actually a really decent plan. Cool.

Now how to make wooden clothes

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Don’t forget Isaac. I just really hope nintendo is at least thinking about the prospect of adding a golden sun rep especially if there is a future golden sun game for the Nintendo switch on the way. In the meantime I’m supporting golden sun getting revived and Isaac getting in as dlc in a possible wave 2 or 1 as a character on the roster by competing as literally him in the smash pro scene. I even took 1st place at my locals yesterday!
Dude, your cosplay is wonderful. I can't even begin to say how well-done that is! Holy heck!

As for me, I'm going to see if I can put together a letter to forward both to Nintendo and Square Enix, and in the meantime, I also tend to spread the word about Geno via art. I'm not going to link my art repository here because I'm admittedly extremely timid, but judging from certain qualities about this thread and its users, I'll cryptically say that I know some of you have seen it before! The art's been making quite a lot of rounds, so I'm not surprised, but no less flattered, haha.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Because there are no more veterans and that was already pointed out in the Nov 1 Direct by White Sakurai, thus repeating a similar line after Joker's reveal gives new potential context.
But we already know that the DLC won't be veterans, by the very nature of the game's premise, that being: "everyone is here". It's like saying "This DLC will be for smash brothers ultimate" It seems odd to specify something and have it mean stuff we can't possibly not know
You guys have to remember, Nintendo is trying to make new sales on this game. People who watched the directs to hear that all DLC characters would be new are probably already buying the game. The Game Awards audience isn't necessarily the Smash Bros. audience and Reggie was very likely just reiterating the parameters for DLC to market to an extended audience. It's the same reason you see commercials more than once. There is no reason to believe he was trying to say anything new to us in the "new characters" statement.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Dude, your cosplay is wonderful. I can't even begin to say how well-done that is! Holy heck!

As for me, I'm going to see if I can put together a letter to forward both to Nintendo and Square Enix, and in the meantime, I also tend to spread the word about Geno via art. I'm not going to link my art repository here because I'm admittedly extremely timid, but judging from certain qualities about this thread and its users, I'll cryptically say that I know some of you have seen it before! The art's been making quite a lot of rounds, so I'm not surprised, but no less flattered, haha.
If you would like any help with it, please feel free to let me know. I would love to help you with one.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If you would like any help with it, please feel free to let me know. I would love to help you with one.
Aw, thanks so much for the offer, dude! I might just post the letter here whenever I can get it together and see if anyone has critique + addendums to share to it, just so I can make sure it's acceptable on more of a community-wide level. I'd love to make a statement that represents the passion behind the whole community here.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You know; I'm feeling oddly optimistic tonight. At the very least; if we don't get Geno, I'm sure Sakurai will issue a statement saying why. I'd at least like to encourage that question being asked if we DO get another Square Rep.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Health wise I'm fine but, honestly, when does it stop if Geno's not DLC? Do I keep coming back here for Smash 6? 7? I'm already past the point when most professional gamers retire age wise so what does it say about me as a person doing this in my 30's? Am I honestly going to be doing this in my 40's? I'm married, debt free, with two degrees including a Master's so it's not like I'm totally dysfunctional and addicted to meth but when does the cause justify means? Thirteen years. I could probably put that on an application and be recommened for assisted suicide by a team of professionals. Its coming to terms with how this is kind of my legacy and holy hell does that make me want to drink and not stop. Fatmanonice: Geno fan. Not exactly a flattering epitaph.
I hear you, I’m 25 and I’ve wanted him in the Smash series since my early to late teens. I’m currently in college studying up on Information Technology and thinking of going into Ethical Hacking so that I’m able to provide for myself and get a decent job out of it, though I’m not married either, I’ll get there eventually. Though, I will still be a fan of Geno and games in general and I started as a gamer and always be one and no matter how old I get, I’ll always find a time to play, even with my future spouse and children. If he doesn’t show up for Ultimate, it was a fun ride and there’s a lot of really cool and friendly people in this thread. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's hard to stop speculation lol. It is so awesome speculating with you, and I won't get off this ride and I will continue to support Geno

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Don’t forget Isaac. I just really hope nintendo is at least thinking about the prospect of adding a golden sun rep especially if there is a future golden sun game for the Nintendo switch on the way. In the meantime I’m supporting golden sun getting revived and Isaac getting in as dlc in a possible wave 2 or 1 as a character on the roster by competing as literally him in the smash pro scene. I even took 1st place at my locals yesterday!View attachment 182418View attachment 182419
Hell yeah, I support the return of Golden Sun, having a Switch title would be boss.

What Square Enix character could they be saving for E3 while knowing Sora is a no go? He's the only one that would really make sense for that scenario.
Who said Sora is a no-go? Oh right, the leakers who now have no credibility. Sora is extremely likely now, the only issue is he's really just a Disney rep, so would he really be a Square rep? Also we have no idea if we are even getting a Square rep now and no one knows DLC, we just have to hope Reggie's words mean that DLC will be an awesome wild ride.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hell yeah, I support the return of Golden Sun, having a Switch title would be boss.

Who said Sora is a no-go? Oh right, the leakers who now have no credibility. Sora is extremely likely now, the only issue is he's really just a Disney rep, so would he really be a Square rep? Also we have no idea if we are even getting a Square rep now and no one knows DLC, we just have to hope Reggie's words mean that DLC will be an awesome wild ride.
Not quite sure why we're saying the leakers have no credibility now

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

With that mindset, you can easily just say the SE character is just some big white elephant. It doesn't seem like Geno's chances were altered either way regardless of Reggie's PR dribble. So why would the information about the characters change either if we aren't writing off the Square Seven? (When it is real six)

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I mean...I think it's just literally "characters who aren't playable yet"
He basically just said the definition of newcomer-don't see why we're looking so deep into it.

I'm just glad it's an opinion and not a leak thing tho.
One last question for ya if it's alright-is Sephiroth indeed on weak legs at this point? Been confused on this.
Well, as I've already said here (implied, at least, I don't want to give names away that I wasn't given permission to), pretty much everybody else I've talked to has heard Geno is leakbait straight up. If I said which people heard these things, I think most people would consider it noteworthy. In regards to leaks, at this point, the only thing going for Geno is that rumor at NoA which could have been leakbait as well, since NoA does that too. Even possibly a red herring, as Enix does that too. And no, this isn't the bias thing, I have in fact learned that Geno is straight up considered a red herring by the people I've communicated with.

I want him in as much as you, I'm just keeping my expectations as low as possible in that regard until I get official confirmation/deconfirmation before the next direct/event.

In regards to Sephiroth. No, nothing has changed for Sephiroth. Same with Crono and DQ. I will say though, other people have been hearing DQ much more frequently now for whatever reason. Crono and Sephiroth are still just in the same position as heard frequently but not as much as DQ.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well, as I've already said here (implied, at least, I don't want to give names away that I wasn't given permission to), pretty much everybody else I've talked to has heard Geno is leakbait straight up. If I said which people heard these things, I think most people would consider it noteworthy. In regards to leaks, at this point, the only thing going for Geno is that rumor at NoA which could have been leakbait as well, since NoA does that too. Even possibly a red herring, as Enix does that too. And no, this isn't the bias thing, I have in fact learned that Geno is straight up considered a red herring by the people I've communicated with.

I want him in as much as you, I'm just keeping my expectations as low as possible in that regard until I get official confirmation/deconfirmation before the next direct/event.

In regards to Sephiroth. No, nothing has changed for Sephiroth. Same with Crono and DQ. I will say though, other people have been hearing DQ much more frequently now for whatever reason. Crono and Sephiroth are still just in the same position as heard frequently but not as much as DQ.
Man...that sucks.

Really sucks, lol.

I don't get why Geno would be the red herring pick, and I don't understand how people can be sure he even is. But that puts a big dent in my hopes for him. Same with him being leakbait.

Damn.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If you need a break, take a break, but don't bail out completely. I'm sure you don't want to be the guy that gave up on Geno only to have it actually happen afterwards, I'm sure that would feel a bit upsetting. Much more than being in the fray the whole go.
I haven't given up on Geno. It's coming to the realization that I shouldn't be one of the main people of the fanbase anymore, largely because of my age. Younger people need to take over, people who haven't been around here since Brawl was development. I'm old. Thirty one is super old by gamer standards if you're not the one actually developing games or in the industry. If you ain't suit and tie, you're kind of a weirdo by most people's standards. Twenty five is when most professional gamers start thinking about retirement and I'm now six years past that. I can stick around but I shouldn't be the one leading discussions. I shouldn't be the one doing research and making the lengthy theorycrafts. I've technically done it for four games give my first foray into Smash speculation was way back in 2002 with the Adult Swim forums. That's sixteen years with thirteen seriously backing Geno online. Some of you here were still toddlers back then. People I'm now running into at tournaments weren't even born yet. ****in' YIKES, amirite? That's how long this has been going for me and I'm simply... tired. Yes, people like reading my stuff and people seemingly respect me but being the equivalent of Bernie Sanders when it comes to video game speculation isn't exactly flattering. For everyone's sake, I need to back off. If there's fan campaigns, I can help but my time as one of the carnival barkers for this fanbase has long passed and my relevance is strained as it is. It's time to pass on the proverbial torch.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Man...that sucks.

Really sucks, lol.

I don't get why Geno would be the red herring pick, and I don't understand how people can be sure he even is. But that puts a big dent in my hopes for him. Same with him being leakbait.

Damn.
Geno is big in the Smash community. Sephiroth has a ton of mainstream appeal. Crono comes from a game often regarded as a masterpiece. Each of these are very believable and could be used to throw us off. Red herring as in they sound like legit names so leakers will eat them up. Which one it is? Who knows. The people I've spoken with have just said they're sure it's not him. I'm still waiting on what my contact hears ofc but I'm not going to deny that's what pretty much everyone else has heard.

I think he still has a decent chance :p

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Geno is big in the Smash community. Sephiroth has a ton of mainstream appeal. Crono comes from a game often regarded as a masterpiece. Each of these are very believable and could be used to throw us off. Red herring as in they sound like legit names so leakers will eat them up. Which one it is? Who knows. The people I've spoken with have just said they're sure it's not him. I'm still waiting on what my contact hears ofc but I'm not going to deny that's what pretty much everyone else has heard.

I just don't get why any leaker can be so sure it isn't Geno if we don't know who it is. Does that make sense? Why do we know specifically Geno is leakerbait? Are there any like, actual reasons they've given?

Last edited:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Plus, i still think a lot of the evidence and stuff we dug up regarding the Square Rep is fair game. It is true we bandwagon-ed the first DLC to be SE due to Vergeben's track record but at the end of the day. As our Ambassador said a few weeks ago. "No one knows what the DLC is"

Also, we got a game. it's fun and we should focus on that.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Plus, i still think a lot of the evidence and stuff we dug up regarding the Square Rep is fair game. It is true we bandwagon-ed the first DLC to be SE due to Vergeben's track record but at the end of the day. As our Ambassador said a few weeks ago. "No one knows what the DLC is"

Also, we got a game. it's fun and we should focus on that.
I'm playing Ultimate as we speak, and I'm insanely happy. I just enjoy debating about the Squenix rep. It's a habit, lol.
What kinda evidence do you mean?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

I mean I know we **** on Square; but do you really think they'd do somthing so legitimately cruel? Acknowledge the want for Geno; but instead use him for leakbait?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
All I can say is that, if Geno is indeed leakbait, then I just can't help but find that... cruel. Nintendo is fully aware that he's a highly desired character that people have deep fondness for, Sakurai is fully aware, and by proxy, we can only assume Square might be aware, as well. That'd be a terrible move of them to make, and I would be horribly bitter if they were just using him as bait. That would just earn them insane amounts of backlash in general. Why use a character like that as leakbait when he has such a massive following? That's like saying Banjo and Kazooie are in, but they're leakbait, and instead, we're getting a Minecraft Creeper. Sure, it has its supporters, but using that dynamic duo with a huge fanbase as leakbait would be a vicious move, absolutely awful.

If we get another Square rep that isn't Geno and he is being used as, in fact, leakbait, then... hoo boy. I won't revolt immaturely and I highly encourage that no one else does, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the result either. The retaliation would be insane.

ETA: As for whether or not I think Square would do something that cruel, well... yes. Nintendo and Sakurai likely wouldn't, but Square is just a company I plain have distrust in for a massive variety of reasons that I dare not go into. I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that. They really don't care about the fans more often than not.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Who knows? I still think it boils down to personal opinion. I've talked about it before but Geno already is a red herring in the "list" of seven because 5 have been the lead character in at least one game and one is Square Enix's equivalent of Bowser. He's the odd one out no matter how you slice. You could even go extra tin foily and say that's what they're actually referring to but I think it's just simple dismissal based on what I just said.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The only sign of doubt I have is just the spirits thing all over again. Like I cannot tell if that is the case or not but I think that messes him up more than someone like Slime who is not in the game currently.

Perhaps this is the stubborn side of me, but I will be on the Geno train until the very last day where I will go down with the ship. Not that it is a guaranteed thing, but I'm on board until something comes out that officially writes him off.

It's not life or death for us if he doesn't make it so let's just enjoy and keep hope alive. What has been your favorite spirit battle so far? (Aside from Geno/Mallow ones)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just want everyone to remember, anything can happen. Geno can be very likely and not make it, or he can be very unlikely and make it. We shouldn't lose hope. And even if Geno doesn't make it (I have hope he will), we have come far. Super Mario RPG and Geno himself are being pushed and acknowledged by Nintendo and Sakurai. Geno is an amazing character, Super Mario RPG is a lovable game. It will never be forgotten, no matter what happens. There could be a beautiful future where Nintendo buys Geno from SE and puts him in Smash to please the fans. The important thing is not to lose hope. I have hope, even with the unfortunate news about the possibility of him being leak bait. Don't lose hope, fellow Genobros :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean, it could be more cruel. Rex is a spirit, a Mii costume, and one of Shulk's ALTs and basically was disconfirmed by Sakurai himself in a Direct and Heihachi was reduced to one of Pac-Man's taunts so...

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I mean, it could be more cruel. Rex is a spirit, a Mii costume, and one of Shulk's ALTs and basically was disconfirmed by Sakurai himself in a Direct and Heihachi was reduced to one of Pac-Man's taunts so...
Eh; I wouldn't say those are worse. They at least see to come from the right place. Geno being Square's leakbait would be a cold, cynical business man move. By making him leakbait; Square is acknowledging he's a popular character.... but still don't put him in anyways.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I say make your own judgements. Believe who you chose to believe, but nothing is 100% set in stone.

No one knows the DLC, and if no one knows the DLC, no one can be 100% positive on a character being in/out/leakbait/etc.

Just something to keep in mind.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

At this point do you believe the information regarding Geno and Seph being the two characters in contention and everything else being just rumors to have pretty much been bull****?

I just don't get why any leaker can be so sure it isn't Geno if we don't know who it is. Does that make sense? Why do we know specifically Geno is leakerbait? Are there any like, actual reasons they've given?
This is what keeps bugging me too. I'm really wondering if it's possible that, like many people, some in SE saw the Geno spirit and from then on have just made up their minds that he's leakbait. Unless they heard it from someone's mouth who is actually working on him that he's leakbait I don't he why he would be placed in the bull**** category as opposed to the other characters on the list.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

World of Light is so much fun! It is so long too. What was everyone's hardest spirit battle in WoL?

Mine was the battle with 9 metal Mega Men

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I mean Rex being outright deconfirmed is the opposite of cruel.
The problem is that Rex "deserved" to be in more than anyone. He is very popular on both sides of the ocean and is the protagonist of a very successful game that is part of a Nintendo franchise that is rising in popularity. If they just decided on the dlc recently then I have no idea why he isn't in. Even though they are trying to help the fans by lowering their expectations with the deconfirm, it still feels cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom