• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I could see Super Mario RPG getting it's own symbol, probably the Star

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Just got the game. For those wondering, it's what I remembered. Three missing

IMG_7750.jpeg

Edit: Welp I tried to show a pic, just trust me in the music section there is 3 missing like how the SSS is missing slots. So take that how you want
Oh that's interesting. So if we add Persona that would leave only two new series icons? That could mean 3 new series and 2 series already represented within Smash. If you add Piranha Plant, that would make an even 3 & 3. At the same time, they could just adjust the layout somehow to fit more icons if needed. Another "Hmmm" to file away for now anyway.

Last edited:

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Another interesting thing is in training, the training stage doesn't take an extra slot. It goes over the random space. So there will still be one space left on the SSS when all of the fighters pass DLC is done

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Wait a moment
Ultimate is the 5th smashbros
5 DLC characters
Persona 5 protagonist is Joker
Protagonist are always the first member of their party
Joker is the first dlc
Tales of Symphonia is the 5th in its series
It's a game about 2 parallel worlds
Lloyd has 2 swords
Super Mario RPG has a party of 5 characters
Geno is the 3rd member
Hmmmmmm
Bro, that's just too meta

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Ultimate is pretty good so far, pretty much unlocked half of the roster, Ridley and Ryu SD’d on me when I fought them lol :laugh: Marth, Lucario, Roy, and Dedede bested me, but since I have Lucina unlocked, I’ll show them no mercy in Challengers Approach. :smirk:

Characters left to unlock: :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultkingdedede::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmarth::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultrichter::ultsnake::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
'Eyyy. I normally don't sign up to forums or interact much with the Smash community, but I wanted to pop in here solely because of my unending support for this character. The fact that the fanbase for Geno is so dedicated and hopeful throughout the years has left me absolutely overjoyed. I love Super Mario RPG and all of its successors (except for some certain Paper Mario games we don't talk about, coughs), and every character in SMRPG left an impact on me. This especially includes Geno, a character so fascinating and open to all sorts of potential that it's just sad to see it all left to rot after Square decided to be... well, Square.

Funnily enough, I used to be one of those people whose belief was strongly rooted in Geno being very overrated. However, as I saw the love the fanbase had for him, I thought of digging a bit deeper into why he's so beloved. It honestly baffled me. Why? I'm not a young person, by any means, and I grew up with the (then brand new) Nintendo 64 as a little girl. Geno wasn't unknown to me. I'm not a 'zoomer', as the young'uns seem to call them these days. (You crazy kids and your newfangled terminology!) I felt like one of the few people my age and in my general group who didn't see that much appeal in the character, and didn't find him that incredible from my time playing SMRPG.

Then I started thinking of how well he'd fit in modern Mario today. The fact that Rosalina exists now, the way space lore in Mario has expanded so much, the Mario & Luigi series still going on relatively strong today, the innovative ideas the series has begun to utilize more (with Odyssey really being a standout to me)... I started really thinking about how impeccable a fit he would be. He's an interesting character that obviously captivated an audience, and I could see him becoming beloved by the younger crowd today, as well. In fact, I've worked with this generation many a time in my day, and I was pleasantly surprised at how many of them knew who Geno was and loved them. I honestly had no idea that Geno had such a large, young following, as well! I really thought it was just the older fans that cared, but now, my eyes are opened to how special this character is to so many people from all walks of life.

Why? His design is a very good start. From a casual observer's eye down to an artist's eye (as I myself am a long-time digital artist and freelancer), he just fits. He's a star spirit possessing a puppet, something that evokes childlike wonderment, and that very puppet is built in with freaking guns. His colors work so well together, his features are both cool and cute, and he stands out from the Mario universe as a whole. Mallow (who I also ADORE) seems more like a snug-to-the-hand fit like a glove, but Geno feels much like a quirky, yet welcome fit. He's different, and goodness knows different is always welcome in the Mario universe, where things can often feel pretty samey.

His lore. His lore has so much potential, especially when you compare it to the modern day. His character, mysterious, yet kind of dorky and lovable. A bonafide badass, to be sure, but one that comes with cute appeal and a benevolent, fun nature. It's just enough to make you want more, more that SMRPG just doesn't get to deliver. Maybe we could have gotten that... if Geno still remained in Nintendo's and Square's unified vision today. (Also, again, the whole fissure between them. Sighs.)

Then, of course, tech-wise, Geno would be an excellent, unique fit for Smash. I think this kind of just goes without saying and has been discussed ad nauseum, though.

I have a lot of love for this character. I really do. I've had a huge change of heart, and I can't help but love this star boy. He's a great character, one that's woefully not used to his fullest potential.

... but I'm afraid he probably won't be DLC.

However, I'm not saying this to be a debbie downer. In fact, if this is the case, we should use this disappointing possibility to make ourselves stronger. This isn't over yet. Seeing a return to form for Geno doesn't have to start with Smash, even if it would be a darn fine way to do so. Our outreach has already gotten us this far with a Mii outfit in Smash 4, a spirit and icon in Ultimate, and acknowledgement from Nintendo themselves in multiple forms otherwise. Why stop there? Why give up if he isn't in this Smash game?

Geno is a character focused on making wishes come true. We can make the impossible, possible. We just have to never give up. Don't get your hopes too high, of course, and be realistic, but don't let up on your passion. Make your voices heard (within reason, don't be a turdwaffle). Geno's been talked about around Nintendo's studios, and whether or not it's for Smash, it's a good sign that something is either in the works for him as we speak or something may be down the line. Square's relationship with Nintendo is getting better. The outcry is known. It's reaching them. We're making things happen, no matter what detractors say.

Let's view this hypothetically: Geno is not one of the DLC characters. We don't know what other surprises Nintendo might pull on us when it comes to Smash, however. The special gift option (which I presume will be used for Piranha Plant upon release, for those who got codes) in the Vault definitely got my brows raising. All signs pointing to DLC now are solely on Fighter's Pass with paid Mii DLC costumes being deconfirmed for the time being by Reggie. (I've lost the link to the interview amidst all the mania regarding Smash, but I know it was sometime after the November 1st direct that we got this one. If someone could dig that up, that would be incredible.) This could always change in the future, however, and we may even get Geno's mii costume back at some point... but what if even those don't grant our wishes?

For one, remember that Ultimate's modding community is likely to be pretty good. The firmware has been consistently hacked and meddled with, and there are already screenshots floating around of people making small texture mods (i.e. bringing Mario's fire alt back). I truly wouldn't be surprised if a team got together and made some good Smash mods, perhaps even the ultimate (heh) Geno mod. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some real talent is lurking this thread at any point as we speak. If we want Geno in Smash, at least unofficially to appease to us fans, we can absolutely do that. Nintendo can't stop us from doing that... or, well, they can't to an extent. (C&D's happen, but over a character mod? Highly unlikely (unless they pull an AM2R/Samus Returns, also unlikely). Also, hacking is always a risk, especially in terms of bans if you're not careful with your online usage. There's also bricking risks.) It's not official, and I know how much more symbolic official inclusion would be for Geno, but it's definitely something. It would at least appease our bubble, yeah?

Secondly, again, a revival for Geno need not be for Smash alone. I'd prefer it to be for Smash, and I'm sure we all do, as well, but if we keep vocalizing how much we want a return for this character, maybe Nintendo and Square themselves will do it. It's a bit farfetched, I know, mostly just because Square is Square, but again, we cannot give up in the face of adversity. Speak up. Make your voices known. Even if your hopes for Smash are dashed, don't let up on letting them know that we want a proper return. Nintendo has been delivering on fan requests more and more lately, and they've been changing some of their ways. Yes, they are often rather tone-deaf (cough, cough, Switch Online), but you can tell that they're still listening. At least in terms of Geno, we know for a fact that they hear us. We need to make sure they KEEP hearing us.

Thirdly, I know someone else mentioned it in my long, long time of lurking this thread shyly, but a campaign for Geno, much like K. Rool's, sounds excellent. Let's show Nintendo how much we love this character and everything he symbolizes for not only the Mario RPG series, but also the Mario series as a whole. Let's make it loud and clear, and if we can make it even louder and clearer, why stop? Make it louder! Clearer! Send our wishes out to the stars!

I may be very pessimistic about Geno's inclusion as DLC in Smash, and I've just about given up hope there, but in terms of Geno otherwise... I think there is still a lot of hope to be had.

Don't give up. Don't be unrealistic, but don't give up. I'm telling you this as a long time King K. Rool fan who finally had her dreams realized with Smash Ultimate. It's a long wait and a long struggle, a very hard fight against the impossible, but it is so worth it. Look at it from this very simple angle:

We may lose the battle.
However, we have not lost the war.

(I'm so sorry this is so long I promise I was just trying to inspire thought and positivity even during a dark time please put the home run bat away would you want to hurt a duck banana named after malt beverage I think not—)

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
'Eyyy. I normally don't sign up to forums or interact much with the Smash community, but I wanted to pop in here solely because of my unending support for this character. The fact that the fanbase for Geno is so dedicated and hopeful throughout the years has left me absolutely overjoyed. I love Super Mario RPG and all of its successors (except for some certain Paper Mario games we don't talk about, coughs), and every character in SMRPG left an impact on me. This especially includes Geno, a character so fascinating and open to all sorts of potential that it's just sad to see it all left to rot after Square decided to be... well, Square.

Funnily enough, I used to be one of those people whose belief was strongly rooted in Geno being very overrated. However, as I saw the love the fanbase had for him, I thought of digging a bit deeper into why he's so beloved. It honestly baffled me. Why? I'm not a young person, by any means, and I grew up with the (then brand new) Nintendo 64 as a little girl. Geno wasn't unknown to me. I'm not a 'zoomer', as the young'uns seem to call them these days. (You crazy kids and your newfangled terminology!) I felt like one of the few people my age and in my general group who didn't see that much appeal in the character, and didn't find him that incredible from my time playing SMRPG.

Then I started thinking of how well he'd fit in modern Mario today. The fact that Rosalina exists now, the way space lore in Mario has expanded so much, the Mario & Luigi series still going on relatively strong today, the innovative ideas the series has begun to utilize more (with Odyssey really being a standout to me)... I started really thinking about how impeccable a fit he would be. He's an interesting character that obviously captivated an audience, and I could see him becoming beloved by the younger crowd today, as well. In fact, I've worked with this generation many a time in my day, and I was pleasantly surprised at how many of them knew who Geno was and loved them. I honestly had no idea that Geno had such a large, young following, as well! I really thought it was just the older fans that cared, but now, my eyes are opened to how special this character is to so many people from all walks of life.

Why? His design is a very good start. From a casual observer's eye down to an artist's eye (as I myself am a long-time digital artist and freelancer), he just fits. He's a star spirit possessing a puppet, something that evokes childlike wonderment, and that very puppet is built in with freaking guns. His colors work so well together, his features are both cool and cute, and he stands out from the Mario universe as a whole. Mallow (who I also ADORE) seems more like a snug-to-the-hand fit like a glove, but Geno feels much like a quirky, yet welcome fit. He's different, and goodness knows different is always welcome in the Mario universe, where things can often feel pretty samey.

His lore. His lore has so much potential, especially when you compare it to the modern day. His character, mysterious, yet kind of dorky and lovable. A bonafide badass, to be sure, but one that comes with cute appeal and a benevolent, fun nature. It's just enough to make you want more, more that SMRPG just doesn't get to deliver. Maybe we could have gotten that... if Geno still remained in Nintendo's and Square's unified vision today. (Also, again, the whole fissure between them. Sighs.)

Then, of course, tech-wise, Geno would be an excellent, unique fit for Smash. I think this kind of just goes without saying and has been discussed ad nauseum, though.

I have a lot of love for this character. I really do. I've had a huge change of heart, and I can't help but love this star boy. He's a great character, one that's woefully not used to his fullest potential.

However, I'm not saying this to be a debbie downer. In fact, if this is the case, we should use this disappointing possibility to make ourselves stronger. This isn't over yet. Seeing a return to form for Geno doesn't have to start with Smash, even if it would be a darn fine way to do so. Our outreach has already gotten us this far with a Mii outfit in Smash 4, a spirit and icon in Ultimate, and acknowledgement from Nintendo themselves in multiple forms otherwise. Why stop there? Why give up if he isn't in this Smash game?

Geno is a character focused on making wishes come true. We can make the impossible, possible. We just have to never give up. Don't get your hopes too high, of course, and be realistic, but don't let up on your passion. Make your voices heard (within reason, don't be a turdwaffle). Geno's been talked about around Nintendo's studios, and whether or not it's for Smash, it's a good sign that something is either in the works for him as we speak or something may be down the line. Square's relationship with Nintendo is getting better. The outcry is known. It's reaching them. We're making things happen, no matter what detractors say.

Let's view this hypothetically: Geno is not one of the DLC characters. We don't know what other surprises Nintendo might pull on us when it comes to Smash, however. The special gift option (which I presume will be used for Piranha Plant upon release, for those who got codes) in the Vault definitely got my brows raising. All signs pointing to DLC now are solely on Fighter's Pass with paid Mii DLC costumes being deconfirmed for the time being by Reggie. (I've lost the link to the interview amidst all the mania regarding Smash, but I know it was sometime after the November 1st direct that we got this one. If someone could dig that up, that would be incredible.) This could always change in the future, however, and we may even get Geno's mii costume back at some point... but what if even those don't grant our wishes?

For one, remember that Ultimate's modding community is likely to be pretty good. The firmware has been consistently hacked and meddled with, and there are already screenshots floating around of people making small texture mods (i.e. bringing Mario's fire alt back). I truly wouldn't be surprised if a team got together and made some good Smash mods, perhaps even the ultimate (heh) Geno mod. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some real talent is lurking this thread at any point as we speak. If we want Geno in Smash, at least unofficially to appease to us fans, we can absolutely do that. Nintendo can't stop us from doing that... or, well, they can't to an extent. (C&D's happen, but over a character mod? Highly unlikely (unless they pull an AM2R/Samus Returns, also unlikely). Also, hacking is always a risk, especially in terms of bans if you're not careful with your online usage. There's also bricking risks.) It's not official, and I know how much more symbolic official inclusion would be for Geno, but it's definitely something. It would at least appease our bubble, yeah?

Secondly, again, a revival for Geno need not be for Smash alone. I'd prefer it to be for Smash, and I'm sure we all do, as well, but if we keep vocalizing how much we want a return for this character, maybe Nintendo and Square themselves will do it. It's a bit farfetched, I know, mostly just because Square is Square, but again, we cannot give up in the face of adversity. Speak up. Make your voices known. Even if your hopes for Smash are dashed, don't let up on letting them know that we want a proper return. Nintendo has been delivering on fan requests more and more lately, and they've been changing some of their ways. Yes, they are often rather tone-deaf (cough, cough, Switch Online), but you can tell that they're still listening. At least in terms of Geno, we know for a fact that they hear us. We need to make sure they KEEP hearing us.

Thirdly, I know someone else mentioned it in my long, long time of lurking this thread shyly, but a campaign for Geno, much like K. Rool's, sounds excellent. Let's show Nintendo how much we love this character and everything he symbolizes for not only the Mario RPG series, but also the Mario series as a whole. Let's make it loud and clear, and if we can make it even louder and clearer, why stop? Make it louder! Clearer! Send our wishes out to the stars!

I may be very pessimistic about Geno's inclusion as DLC in Smash, and I've just about given up hope there, but in terms of Geno otherwise... I think there is still a lot of hope to be had.

Don't give up. Don't be unrealistic, but don't give up. I'm telling you this as a long time King K. Rool fan who finally had her dreams realized with Smash Ultimate. It's a long wait and a long struggle, a very hard fight against the impossible, but it is so worth it. Look at it from this very simple angle:

We may lose the battle.

(I'm so sorry this is so long I promise I was just trying to inspire thought and positivity even during a dark time please put the home run bat away would you want to hurt a duck banana named after malt beverage I think not—)
Thanks for the support and Welcome to Smashboards and the Geno thread. :grin:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm just kind of mentally exhausted. Smash is out and the big supposed pay off of the first DLC being a Square Enix character that was talked up since August was a bust. Because of the release schedule of the DLC of this game, the last one probably won't be announced until November or December of next year. Four left. Spring. Summer. Fall. Winter. I think I feel myself ageing just thinking about it... I probably need to back off for awhile so I can at least enjoy the game. You all probably should too. It's going to be a long wait.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

We may lose the battle.

I appreciate your support and well thought out post! I think with the information we have thus far from insiders and whatnot it doesn't seem like Geno is as unrealistic as you're implying for DLC. It's obviously not a sure thing but there is information that at least points to him being more considered than other SE characters and that's something. I mean, 2 days ago most people would have said Joker from Persona was unrealistic compared to other choices.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm slowly coming to the realization that if Geno's in the game he'll probably be the 3rd or 4th character revealed, meaning he wouldn't even get announced until late spring to early fall. Swear to god if he's an E3 reveal, I might just have a heart attack...

OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer Updates are going to be fewer and farther in between because of the current landscape. It's hard to dig when the floor's made of steel. Tales is having a special 22nd anniversary stream on the 18th I believe and the voice actor for Lloyd is the first person speaking. If Lloyd (or Yuri) is in, there's a decent chance it would be announced here. That's basically it right now.
Besides Banjo; I really think Geno would be the only E3 worthy reveal, unless you can think of one. Crash maybe?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Besides Banjo; I really think Geno would be the only E3 worthy reveal, unless you can think of one. Crash maybe?
Crash would be pretty amazing and definitely E3 worthy.

Banjo and Geno would be double that and would make me ascend into the next fifteen planes of existence and loop back around into ours via dimensional screwery.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Oh that's interesting. So if we add Persona that would leave only two new series icons? That could mean 3 new series and 2 series already represented within Smash. If you add Piranha Plant, that would make an even 3 & 3. At the same time, they could just adjust the layout somehow to fit more icons if needed. Another "Hmmm" to file away for now anyway.
Wait I’m confused. Are the missing icons for characters, or for icons representing series music? If the latter is the case, I don’t see how this affects Geno’s chances. If SMRPG music makes it in, it’ll probably be under Mario’s icon, similar to how if Bandanna Dee made it in with new music it would be with Kirby.

The same probably goes for if it’s a fighter icon. But Geno’s a special case.

By the way, someone on GameFAQs said this is what Reggie said:
"These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. Characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

No where does this say all of the characters are only 3rd party, or only from new series. There are going to be characters that are new to THE series, as in Smash. Just in case anyone was worried

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Crash would be pretty amazing and definitely E3 worthy.

Banjo and Geno would be double that and would make me ascend into the next fifteen planes of existence and loop back around into ours via dimensional screwery.
I'm in the same boat. Banjo and Geno are the last two characters I really want in.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Indeed, Reggie simply said that the characters were going to be new to the Smash series, as in brand new characters, not brand new series. It's really just stating the obvious in lieu of 'everyone is here', to make certain that new fans are aware that these are all new fighters, not veterans that have been cut or echoes.

Needless to say, the internet is really misconstruing what Reggie is saying. There could be more nuance to it that we don't know about, but for now, I'm taking it as face value, which is... literally information that isn't new to us lmao.

More food for thought: considering how recent a character Joker is, I really do wonder what that means for spirits being deconfirmation. I'm firmly in the park of spirits not deconfirming anything. Joker was a later decision. It's very possible that not all of the DLC was made in tandem with spirits, therefore spirits likely weren't made with deconfirmations in mind. This is all speculative and I could easily be wrong about all of that, so do correct me if I am, but... again, food for thought?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Indeed, Reggie simply said that the characters were going to be new to the Smash series, as in brand new characters, not brand new series. It's really just stating the obvious in lieu of 'everyone is here', to make certain that new fans are aware that these are all new fighters, not veterans that have been cut or echoes.

Needless to say, the internet is really misconstruing what Reggie is saying. There could be more nuance to it that we don't know about, but for now, I'm taking it as face value, which is... literally information that isn't new to us lmao.

More food for thought: considering how recent a character Joker is, I really do wonder what that means for spirits being deconfirmation. I'm firmly in the park of spirits not deconfirming anything. Joker was a later decision. It's very possible that not all of the DLC was made in tandem with spirits, therefore spirits likely weren't made with deconfirmations in mind. This is all speculative and I could easily be wrong about all of that, so do correct me if I am, but... again, food for thought?
This is essentially how I am viewing everything at this point.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, now that the game is out. I’ll say that it’s damn good and I’ve loved the entirely too much of it I’ve played. I finished unlocking characters about a hour ago and that was fun, if a bit too long (66 unlocks with regards to characters IS a lot). There’s a lot to see and do in game, though it does feel barren in some areas of content without all the modes.

World of Light and Spirits have kept me entertained well beyond what I thought. But I’m only about four hours in and I wonder how much longer it’ll stay that way.

That said, the character select screen alone just is amazing. Regardless of speculation, enjoy the game friends. There’s a lot to love and it’s the definitive Smash as far as the most important content goes with stages and characters. I do wish we had more new stages though...

Last night was very interesting and I’m strangely hype. I love Persona 4 Golden on my Vita, but I haven’t gotten around to Persona 5 yet. I may not as a portable Persona 5 could very well be on the way with this happening. But I never seriously supported Persona in Smash. That said, the music alone will be amazing, and it just makes sense to me now that it’s real. My biggest surprise was the announcement as Smash. I’ll eat crow on that one, I absolutely did not expect a Smash announcement at the VGAs and we did indeed get one.

I don’t take it as a super good sign for Geno though. I mean I don’t take it as much of a sign at all, but Persona 5 is a very recent choice that only has some support overall. He’s not character that I think helps Geno at all. But hey, he does prove that insiders are full of **** and nobody knows anything about DLC!

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
How is everyone enjoying Ultimate so far :) ? Geno may not be in yet, but there's tons of new content and fighters to keep us busy while we wait and pray for the star warrior, so lets just not think about all the crazy speculation that's going around surrounding the dlc and whatnot, and kick back. Hope you're all having a nice evening.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, now that the game is out. I’ll say that it’s damn good and I’ve loved the entirely too much of it I’ve played. I finished unlocking characters about a hour ago and that was fun, if a bit too long (66 unlocks with regards to characters IS a lot). There’s a lot to see and do in game, though it does feel barren in some areas of content without all the modes.

World of Light and Spirits have kept me entertained well beyond what I thought. But I’m only about four hours in and I wonder how much longer it’ll stay that way.

That said, the character select screen alone just is amazing. Regardless of speculation, enjoy the game friends. There’s a lot to love and it’s the definitive Smash as far as the most important content goes with stages and characters. I do wish we had more new stages though...

Last night was very interesting and I’m strangely hype. I love Persona 4 Golden on my Vita, but I haven’t gotten around to Persona 5 yet. I may not as a portable Persona 5 could very well be on the way with this happening. But I never seriously supported Persona in Smash. That said, the music alone will be amazing, and it just makes sense to me now that it’s real. My biggest surprise was the announcement as Smash. I’ll eat crow on that one, I absolutely did not expect a Smash announcement at the VGAs and we did indeed get one.

I don’t take it as a super good sign for Geno though. I mean I don’t take it as much of a sign at all, but Persona 5 is a very recent choice that only has some support overall. He’s not character that I think helps Geno at all. But hey, he does prove that insiders are full of **** and nobody knows anything about DLC!
Hey, it proves you don't exactly have to be iconic to join the fight, as it appears it can be mitigated by popularity, which Geno does have. It may not be at the same magnitude Joker has, but Geno has been around for far longer and still kept up to the point of still being notable. Joker also has more focus on worldwide appeal and proves even more that Smash is looking for new third party series before new characters in already represented third parties, severely hurting the competition of DQ and Sephiroth. Sakurai also loved the heck out of Persoan 5, so perhaps Nintendo's choices are more influenced by Sakurai than we thought...

D

Deleted member

I am loving the game :) I completed classic mode with Ness, and it was so nostalgic. The music, the Mother stages, and how the battles reminded me of Earthbound. This is by far the best Smash game

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
How is everyone enjoying Ultimate so far :) ? Geno may not be in yet, but there's tons of new content and fighters to keep us busy while we wait and pray for the star warrior, so lets just not think about all the crazy speculation that's going around surrounding the dlc and whatnot, and kick back. Hope you're all having a nice evening.
Bro I’ve been playing since 12 and I still have at least 9 characters to unlock, even though we don’t have Stadium and Stage builder the game keeps you so entertained and so busy and the Spirits mode is surprisingly addictive. Such a good game! Geno may not be in it yet but it’s still so amazing. And K. Rool who was my previous number one is so fun to play as!

DIY

Smash Apprentice
So, everyone, how are you all enjoying the game so far? More so than Smash 4 or the previous ones or nah? Let me know!

I bought the game earlier today and a Ridley Amiibo but I unfortunately won't be able to play the game at all until Monday at the very earliest because of all the final projects I have these upcoming few days. Lol

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
I was talking with some people today, discussing what reggie said. Couple of them seem to think that because smrpg is in the game, granted only as spirits, that they are deconfirmed. But we all think Banjo is a lock now. I refuse to give up on Geno, being a spirit isn't too relevant to the actual game in my eyes.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm
So, everyone, how are you all enjoying the game so far? More so than Smash 4 or the previous ones or nah? Let me know!

I bought the game earlier today and a Ridley Amiibo but I unfortunately won't be able to play the game at all until Monday at the very earliest because of all the final projects I have these upcoming few days. Lol
WoL is absolutely phenomenal. Hard mode is REALLY hard, and spirits are actually balanced incredibly well. Plus it's REALLY long if you 100% it. I actually like it more than subspace. It even has more bosses!

D

Deleted member

I'm

WoL is absolutely phenomenal. Hard mode is REALLY hard, and spirits are actually balanced incredibly well. Plus it's REALLY long if you 100% it. I actually like it more than subspace. It even has more bosses!
I'm abusing the **** out of all the Mother spirits

link2702

Smash Champion
Sorry I know this is off topic a bit but...

So I caved and got ultimate day one despite me saying I wouldn’t...I didn’t sign up for online or buy the fighter pass however.

And...tbh I’m kinda glad I didn’t. I’m gonna be honest here guys...something feels off with the gameplay for me, my fears of not liking the balloon knockback were realized. But also things just feel off in general. Maybe I’ve just grown too used to 4’s physics and controls, but something about ultimates don’t agree with me, and I’m just not finding it as fun as past games.

I suppose it might also be that some of my favorite characters feel waaay too different. Falcon is unplayable for me now, I hate how link plays now (but thankfully y.link feels close enough to 4 link that he’s become my replacement, and is the one so far that I’m most comfortable using, even almost made itto the end of classic on the highest difficulty with him) I’ve not unlocked ganon yet, but I’m worried I’ll hate his new playstyle as much as falcon, losing the deadly semi-spike sour spot on his uair, and his crazy old usmash are gonna sting...

I don’t think any of these characters are bad per say, just that none of my old favorites feel fun anymore :( it feels like what happened with the transition from brawl to 4 with pit. I hated his 4 playstyle despite him being my main in brawl.

Man I hope this isn’t a sign that if geno gets in I find I don’t like how he plays, cuz right now only y.link and MAYBE samus still feel fun and natural for me to use. Regardless though if he does make it, I feel I’ll force myself to use him no matter how much I would dislike his playstyle.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The grind is real in this game, I’ll try and finish unlocking everybody tomorrow, only 9 more characters to go, so it shouldn’t be too bad. :grin:

Characters left to unlock (UPDATED): :ultcloud::ultduckhunt::ultken::ultgreninja::ultchrom::ultmewtwo::ultbowserjr::ultdoc::ultpalutena:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Bro I’ve been playing since 12 and I still have at least 9 characters to unlock, even though we don’t have Stadium and Stage builder the game keeps you so entertained and so busy and the Spirits mode is surprisingly addictive. Such a good game! Geno may not be in it yet but it’s still so amazing. And K. Rool who was my previous number one is so fun to play as!
Did you hear there's code for a stage builder I believe already in the game? Free update perhaps?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, I still don't have a switch. $300 + $60 + tax is a lot, even if I can afford it.

I'll wait until some cool special edition switch comes out or something

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Did you hear there's code for a stage builder I believe already in the game? Free update perhaps?
Really? That’s crazy. Hopefully free update or they could give us a “Mode pack” kinda like the fighters pack with multiple modes bundled into one.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The grind is real in this game, I’ll try and finish unlocking everybody tomorrow, only 9 more characters to go, so it shouldn’t be too bad. :grin:

Characters left to unlock (UPDATED): :ultcloud::ultduckhunt::ultken::ultgreninja::ultchrom::ultmewtwo::ultbowserjr::ultdoc::ultpalutena:
I've chosen to unlock through WOL; so I only got Kirby, Mario, Villager, Link, Falcon, Lucario and Ness.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Looks like my source was right, nobody knew DLC. Haha.
Your source is incredible. The only thing that hasn't been confirmed or deconfirmed yet is them saying Geno being DLC. I swear, if your source said Rathalos would be a boss before being revealed, Shadow and Isaac would be assist trophies before being revealed, that there would be updated spirits, and said it was true that nobody knew the DLC... and it was true, then that's amazing! Things are looking good for Geno, everyone. Speaking of our puppet, I saw the Geno spirit in the shop today! BUT, I didn't have enough to get Geno's spirit! Ugh, hopefully he doesn't go away.

Even anyway, I LOVE THE SMASH ULTIMATE! I've unlocked over 30 characters in 6 hours, and I've been playing the game for countless hours now. :)
The fact that Nintendo jebaited its own employees to keep this a secret is pretty amazing. "You'll never see me coming" indeed. This swerved literally everyone behind the scenes. Bravo, Nintendo, bravo. Some of my takes:

-Further confirmation that newcomers will be wanted on a worldwide scale. (Dragon Quest BTFO, IMHO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will have global recognition and be important to gamers worldwide (Dragon Quest double BTFO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will tread new ground in what they can do and how they can fight.

-Further confirmation that hard shills will probably not be part of DLC.

-Nintendo is going in deep and hard to please fans.

Tonight was a good night if you ask me.
Indeed it is, sir. We're in for some good treats. Dragon Quest only appeals in Japan, but if this is supposed to appeal globally, I don't see a DQ character.
For a Square rep, I'm expecting: Geno, Sephiroth, or 2B. But from the looks of popularity and appealing, I'm going with Geno being the most likely. Even if Reggie said that all the DLC will be unexpected, many aren't expecting Geno because Sakurai didn't choose the DLC this time; so in this case, Geno DOES go along with Reggie's statement. Nintendo isn't aware of Geno's popularity, Sakurai is. Geno does go along with Reggie's statement. Still, even before Geno was a frontrunner, people didn't expect him due to his relevancy and ownership with Square, but because Geno just seems like an unlikely deal with Nintendo and Square, I can see it.

Here's my guess: Three reps will be third-party, two will be first-party.

1. Joker
2. Porky
3. Geno
4. A Zelda character or Metroid character
5. Banjo and Kazooie

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Your source is incredible. The only thing that hasn't been confirmed or deconfirmed yet is them saying Geno being DLC. I swear, if your source said Rathalos would be a boss before being revealed, Shadow and Isaac would be assist trophies before being revealed, that there would be updated spirits, and said it was true that nobody knew the DLC... and it was true, then that's amazing! Things are looking good for Geno, everyone. Speaking of our puppet, I saw the Geno spirit in the shop today! BUT, I didn't have enough to get Geno's spirit! Ugh, hopefully he doesn't go away.

Even anyway, I LOVE THE SMASH ULTIMATE! I've unlocked over 30 characters in 6 hours, and I've been playing the game for countless hours now. :)

Indeed it is, sir. We're in for some good treats. Dragon Quest only appeals in Japan, but if this is supposed to appeal globally, I don't see a DQ character.
For a Square rep, I'm expecting: Geno, Sephiroth, or 2B. But from the looks of popularity and appealing, I'm going with Geno being the most likely. Even if Reggie said that all the DLC will be unexpected, many aren't expecting Geno because Sakurai didn't choose the DLC this time; so in this case, Geno DOES go along with Reggie's statement. Nintendo isn't aware of Geno's popularity, Sakurai is. Geno does go along with Reggie's statement. Still, even before Geno was a frontrunner, people didn't expect him due to his relevancy and ownership with Square, but because Geno just seems like an unlikely deal with Nintendo and Square, I can see it.

Here's my guess: Three reps will be third-party, two will be first-party.

1. Joker
2. Bandana Dee or Magalor
3. Geno
4. A Zelda character or Metroid character
5. Banjo and Kazooie
I'd say Lloyd is pretty much a shoe in rn too.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix

We may lose the battle.

Welcome! Have no fear he’s getting in :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom