• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
As Iv'e stated before , without KH on the Switch , Sora only has the popularity factor.(And I think that Sora is gaining a lot of popularity because of KH3. He was less requested before.)

Tbh , if Joker doesn't come with a P5 port on the Switch , then I'll be disapointed. That is a Big problem for Sora , they need to do two things at once , the Sora reveal and the KH game on Switch. This would need quite a lot of negotiations , not impossible... But pretty hard.

And I wouldn't call Sora iconic , he's not like Ryu or Cloud. He need more.
With Bayonetta , there was Bayonetta 1/2 on the Wii U ,I discovered it thanks to Smash.

But with KH , I don't want to spend 400 dollars + a 60 dollars priced game just to see where Sora came from. Or even a PS2 copy of KH1/2. If you promote a character on a Nintendo console without games from this character on it , I don't understand.

I mean , Sephiroth , Luminary/Slime will have games on the Switch. Neku and the Octopath rep have games on the Switch. Geno can easily have a port or a remake , since his game is a Mario game. As for Crono , I don't know.

And since SE already did a spirit bomb of FF games/ports for the Switch , I dunno if they'll continue with KH , when there is also DQ in the corner with Builders 2 and 11 S. Or even this "secret mission".
I mean, I wouldn't say that. Sora is definitely more iconic than most characters, and nothing is saying that the Kingdom Hearts collections won't come to Switch like the Final Fantasy games are. I even think Square wanted to try and bring 3, but who knows if that will happen. I love Bayonetta a lot, her games are fantastic, but comparing Sora to her is not even close. He's still the least likely though if we were to get a Square rep

Also side note, Nintendo really did kill it last night. Ultimate Alliance 3 exclusive, Mortal Kombat 11 coming to Switch, Crash Team Racing remastered coming to Switch, and a Smash reveal. They really did a good job

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
With Joker's announcement, I think 2B has catapulted to the front as SE rep. Recent game, incredible hit, very recognizable, company promoting it everywhere. Same situation as Joker.
On one hand, 2B in smash is my dream pick. On the other hand, Geno has a new competition on his ass.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
If someone has the game, they should check the My Music section. I saw in a video a while back that there were slots missing at the bottom. This is tinfoil, but I wanted to mention again to give some hope, as I thought about it a while back. The SSS will make a perfect square with training, as well as the roster after DLC wave 1 without Mii's. Tinfoil hat, but this tells me if there are say three slots missing, we are getting three new franchises, Persona being one of them, and two existing franchise characters. So someone like Geno and others still have a chance (since he'd be put in the Mario franchise probably) so yeah. I know it's stretching, but it's something to consider since we know they left slots on the SSS open.

My point is that I don't think all the DLC will be new franchises, and someone like Geno or Porky or whoever from an existing one could still be added, Spirts aside (maybe)

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I finally get to play Smash Ultimate in ~1-2 hours, looks like I’ll be up all night and playing most of this weekend to unlock everyone, I can’t wait, gonna be the perfect way to kill some time.

Excited to play as: :ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultken::ultchrom::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdaisy:
Pretty much wanna see how they all play.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Ladies and Gentlemen, the State of the Geno™ address. Last night was amazing on a lot of fronts and I wanted to go over them in detail.

-Sephiroth's No Good Very Bad Day™: Given last night's events, I feel that I'm free to talk about this. Inside insider circles, Sephiroth now has almost as many people saying that he's flat out not going to be in as Sora. This makes sense based on yesterday's events. For starters, Joker is technically a SEGA character, adding pretty conclusive evidence that they are not going to double dip in third party franchises. My theory I made about brand saturation vs brand expansion seems to be spot on. If a franchise was going to double dip with a new unique character in Smash, Sonic was by far the most likely and these chances have gone down significantly, bringing everything else to a bottom level.

Another interesting thing that came out was the credits of Smash Ultimate. What was particularly interesting was the creative and content consultants for third party characters. Most had like 20-30 except Square Enix and Namco. Namco had one for Pac-Man. Makes sense as he's a simple arcade character with a number of references to other simple arcade games. It also helps that they're literally the ones developing the game so it's not like they needed to fly people in to ask any questions if they hit a snag with him.

Then there's Square Enix... It has three for all the Final Fantasy content. It's as bare minimum as you can get: basically the director of FF VII, Cloud's character designer, and one of the lead people for Advent Children. That's it. I'm willing to bet that even characters like Wii Fit have more creative consultants than this. More would definitely need to be on board if Sephiroth was seriously considered along with a second FF VII stage based on even the sizable number for characters like Bayonetta.

-Joker is very clearly not a corporate pick. Persona 5 has yet to be released on a Nintendo platform. Even if it's part of the sprawling Shin Megami Tensei series, this knowledge is esoteric to most people. You'd pretty much only know this if you were a fan of the franchise or cared to look it up. Your typical 12 year old isn't likely to know this series or even your typical Nintendo fan. SMT is fairly niche, especially on Nintendo platforms. This is a deliberate hook and hyper focused leading to my next point...

-A character like Joker is pretty much the exact opposite of a shill. Nintendo's not casting their net out wide with this pick, they are targeting a specific demographic. Maximum profit is not the goal, it's pleasing fans. Again, if this was Nintendo's leading concern, Tails would all be but confirmed to be the next SEGA character. Make no mistake, however, a decent number of people wanted SMT represented in Smash, they just thought it was nearly impossible. But we've seen this before. This was done with Cloud and Bayonetta largely for two reasons...

-Fans wanted the character and so did Sakurai. This is one of the biggest takeaways of last night. Sakurai has mentioned the importance of global appeal and choosing characters that not only people want but bring something new to the table. This is hard proof that Sakurai had a lot more power in choosing characters than originally thought. Again, Joker is a super niche pick but ultimately still wanted. I'd argue that this is a bullet in the head of Dragon Quest and Sephiroth that have virtually no Smash demand. Sakurai is listening to the fans and Nintendo is listening to Sakurai.

-In regards to Dragon Quest: with Sephiroth now being seen as being on as weak legs as Sora, a lot of people in insider circles have jumped onto the Dragon Quest ship, specifically Erdrick, without realizing they've boarded the Titanic and some idiot in the boiler room thinks he's discovered a quick way to remove the clutter of the excess propane tanks laying around. The reason for this is that most of them have flat out come out and said they only believe this because Nintendo wants to promote Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI S, two ports with one just being publically announced in September and without a clue when it will come out. That's it. People are banking on Nintendo to go into MAXIMUM OVERSHILL for this... It's extreme cynicism and pessimism rolled into one.

We've gone into depth about this topic but here are the biggest problems.

-The liscensing for the series is comically bad. On a base level, it's liscensed by Square Enix (asset holder), Armor Project (asset owner), Bird Studio (all characters), and Yoichi Sugiyama (all music). For Erdrick, yet another company has ownership by the name of Heart Beat, a liquidated company that still has share holders scattered around.

-The series is overwhelmingly more popular in Japan than anywhere else. It's estimated about 93% of its sales come from Japan. No prescence in Smash will ever change this.

-In its 32 year history, it's never been liscensed out for gaming crossovers. All crossovers like Fortune Street and Mario Sports Mix were developed by Square Enix, meaning that Nintendo was more willing to liscense out the most valuable IP in gaming than Square was their second most profitable IP. Let that sink in. Unless Armor Project and Bird Studio have creative control of the project, they want nothing to do with it.

-Even in Japan, demand for DQ content in Smash is near non existent. It's a complete ghost. In Japanese polls I've seen over the years, Slime is lucky to crack top 50. Yes, that's right... More DQ fans want the equivalent of a Goomba playable than any of the main characters. That's pretty telling.

So, to recap, no global appeal, no demand, and possibly the most complicated liscensing in all of gaming. Keep in mind that Sakurai has noted that Cloud was a huge struggle to get and Square fought him almost every step of the way and was constantly breathing down his neck. That's with just one IP share holder, imagine one character with up to four. I'm pretty sure my balls just shot up into my stomach just thinking about it... It's more hassle and more work for something virtually no one wants. Why bother? Add on top of this that everyone that predicted DQ to win anything or have anything shown off last night was dead wrong and LeakyPanda and Hitagi are unlikely to recover from it. On to the final point...

-People are taking Reggie's words too literally. It reminds me of "up until now" from the Brawl days, that even I fell for. There's definitely room for nuance and, let's be real, Geno would still be a huge surprise for a vast majority of people. Even as this thread has shown, Geno fans themselves are split and tons of people think the spirit/icon was a death sentence. I've watched you guys and your certainty shifts constantly. Even people on the inside are twisting themselves in knots to justify Dragon Quest despite its mountains of complications (which they probably just don't know about, to be honest).

Geno's assessed chances among insiders basically stems from Vergeben's main source's doubts. That's it. I've seen the message. He even explains that he doubts it for personal reasons he didn't want to openly talk about. That's Def-Con 1 suspicious on its own but, again, that's it when it comes to major doubts on the inside. Geno's regularly heard too and multiple people have reported on it. PolarPanda's source says it's literally the only Square Enix character he's heard this whole cycle. It's hardly a shut case and you shouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise. I can confirm everything good and bad for Geno is merely hearsay with the one bad thing coming from one person.

So, in conclusion, last night was an amazing night for Geno and people should feel optimistic. Sakurai's listening. Nintendo's listening. Third parties seem to be listening too. This is definitely DLC being made for fans. Things are very vague behind the scenes because, as evidenced last night, Nintendo is keeping DLC extremely secret. We'll be lucky to get crumbs from this point forward. Square Enix still seems likely by all of accounts and evidence emerging yesterday suggest Namco will either have Tales DLC or nothing at all for DLC with the former being more likely. Still, I want you guys to be patient and hang in there. We've come this far and things are looking up at this standpoint.
Thank for the pep talk there strongest sailor of all time. I'm still not really feeling Geno anymore, but after reading this I'm less down about it at least.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I mean, I wouldn't say that. Sora is definitely more iconic than most characters, and nothing is saying that the Kingdom Hearts collections won't come to Switch like the Final Fantasy games are. I even think Square wanted to try and bring 3, but who knows if that will happen. I love Bayonetta a lot, her games are fantastic, but comparing Sora to her is not even close. He's still the least likely though if we were to get a Square rep

Also side note, Nintendo really did kill it last night. Ultimate Alliance 3 exclusive, Mortal Kombat 11 coming to Switch, Crash Team Racing remastered coming to Switch, and a Smash reveal. They really did a good job
I dunno if I lived in a cave , but is Sora this iconic?

And Sorry if I misworded it , my point with Bayonetta is that she was way closer to Nintendo than Sora. She already had available games on Wii U during her announcement as DLC.

And calling Sora more iconic than Cloud or Ryu(once again , tell me if I misinderstood)? I'm sorry , but I don't think he is on their level.
Ryu is Mr.fighting games , and Cloud is Mr. Final Fantasy guy even for people who don't know gaming much.

I think people seem to think that popularity is beeing iconic.
You can be really popular without beeing iconic.
And well , I don't want to be that Guy , but damn they had to wait a long freaking time between KH2 and KH3 than Pikmin fans with 2 and 3. And during that time , I didn't heared much about Sora except with KH1/2 let's plays.

I dunno , I just feel like a have an hard time to call Sora iconic. Not because he's a candidate with Geno for the SE slot.
I mean , sorry If I sound stupid , but I think Crash Bandicoot is more iconic. I know way more people that don't play video games who know the orange bandicoot , and even older people than me who don't play games anymore (And I'm 17 , I'm refering to people who are like 25 and more) know him.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

And Sorry if I misworded it , my point with Bayonetta is that she was way closer to Nintendo than Sora. She already had available games on Wii U during her announcement as DLC.

And calling Sora more iconic than Cloud or Ryu(once again , tell me if I misinderstood)? I'm sorry , but I don't think he is on their level.
Ryu is Mr.fighting games , and Cloud is Mr. Final Fantasy guy even for people who don't know gaming much.

And well , I don't want to be that Guy , but damn they had to wait a long freaking time between KH2 and KH3 than Pikmin fans with 2 and 3. And during that time , I didn't heared much about Sora except with KH1/2 let's plays.

I dunno , I just feel like a have an hard time to call Sora iconic. Not because he's a candidate with Geno for the SE slot.
I mean , sorry If I sound stupid , but I think Crash Bandicoot is more iconic. I know way more people that don't play video games who know the orange bandicoot , and even older people than me who don't play games anymore (And I'm 17 , I'm refering to people who are like 25 and more) know him.
You don't sound stupid, you are right: Sora is not iconic but he is pretty popular. Geno is similar in that sense, but less popular overall.

Master Chief is a good example of being iconic.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice

And well , I don't want to be that Guy , but damn they had to wait a long freaking time between KH2 and KH2 than Pikmin fans with 2 and 3. And during that time , I didn't heared much about Sora except with KH1/2 let's plays.

No I agree. You don't sound stupid lol. I think that Cloud and Ryu are more iconic definitely, but then you have to ask yourself why we say that. It is that line of what does iconic really mean? Isn't Sora being popular make him iconic? I would say Call of Duty and other things are popular, but they aren't iconic. So does Sora fall into that category? Or is he a step above? I mean you tell me. I think part of it is he just hasn't been around as long

Also yeah I know what you mean about Bayonetta lol. I just said her because you mentioned it. Bayonetta is definitely different because she is technically solely Nintendo now, and Sora is not

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Adding to the tin foiliness:

Why hide the name Geno? It’s...not like Geno was actually one of the choices. The correct answer was Super Mario RPG. I get being vague for the sake of like, it’s a trivia question, but they were vague with “Nintendo’s first primate themed game” which we all know is Donkey Kong. In fact I think the correct answer for that is pretty obscure. This is also the, what, 3rd or 4th time this year Nintendo has mentioned or brought up Geno? (The tweet, a Spirit, a trivia question) hmmmmm indeed
I guess, at what point is this not tinfoil theory-crafting and it just becomes, "Here are real-world examples of Nintendo giving visibility to an IP. That they are spending resources to give visibility to an old, inactive IP is meaningful, particularly when they don't even technically own it."

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think if we were going off of pure popularity Geno and Sora are pretty neck and neck with Geno beating Sora sometimes in polls and Sora sometimes beating Geno. Usually Geno has been ahead from what I've seen but it's close. Sora has more mainstream popularity due to actually being in games the past 20 years. If Sora wasn't owned by Disney and wasn't shot down by so many leakers I might give the edge to Sora. But the issue is that he is owned by Disney and he was shut down. As Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said Sora was a complete shut down across the board where as Geno being said to be leakb8 only comes from Vergeben's source and is more of a personal opinion. It sounds like a different situation that Sora. Even then I question if Sakurai would want him in the game if Nintendo was prevented from referencing any Disney content. On the flipside Geno is open season in terms of content, spirits, etc. and links up with the Mario franchise and I don't think it's absurd to say the Mario franchise has more popularity even within gaming than KH.

I guess, at what point is this not tinfoil theory-crafting and it just becomes, "Here are real-world examples of Nintendo giving visibility to an IP. That they are spending resources to give visibility to an old, inactive IP is meaningful, particularly when they don't even technically own it."
This. There's no reason for Nintendo to promote a character they don't actually own the rights to in this way. I don't buy the reason that it's just to promote a game on the SNES classic. There are lots of games and obscure characters on the SNES Classic that they're not talking about. You're not seeing them bring up the new characters from Star Fox 2 for example. This really feels like something Smash related or else SMRPG is getting a reboot/remake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’ll be honest, the Nintendo-sponsored HQ questions having Geno as a focal point basically confirms Geno for me. There’s no reason to have him as the focus of a sponsored question-answer than to prop him up. And why prop up an old forgotten character, getting him more in the public consciousness, unless there’s some content coming.

For those who don’t know, HQ is a mobile trivia game, and is not related to the rest of the non-mobile gaming industry in general. Nintendo sponsored some trivia questions and “Super Mario RPG” was the answer to “What game has a possessed doll as a playable character?” After the question, HQ gave the answer, adding that Geno was the name of the possessed doll.

Really the takeaway is not, “why did Nintendo choose Geno as sponsored trivia”, it’s “why did Nintendo choose Geno instead of picking any other trivia that they could have chosen”.

Further, under the paradigm that the trivia is SMRPG, why choose Geno over Mallow, Smithy, collecting the 7 stars to repair star road, Boshi, timed-hits, super jumps, Booster, Culex, etc—it’s because Geno is the most iconic non-Mario universe part of SMRPG, maybe second to the huge sword in Peach’s Castle.

I doubt this is all to sell another Geno Mii costume. Unless there’s instead a remake or rerelease of SMRPG coming, this means playable Geno in Smash.

Sorry to the detracters, I’m just super confident now and won’t believe he’s not in unless it’s 100% doubtlessly confirmed. But I don’t expect that, I expect Geno now. Now it’s just the waiting.
I am going to be honest and say he is confirmed for me as well :)

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
No I agree. You don't sound stupid lol. I think that Cloud and Ryu are more iconic definitely, but then you have to ask yourself why we say that. It is that line of what does iconic really mean? Isn't Sora being popular make him iconic? I would say Call of Duty and other things are popular, but they aren't iconic. So does Sora fall into that category? Or is he a step above? I mean you tell me. I think part of it is he just hasn't been around as long

Also yeah I know what you mean about Bayonetta lol. I just said her because you mentioned it. Bayonetta is definitely different because she is technically solely Nintendo now, and Sora is not
If you are iconic , I think you should be knowed by people who don't use the media you are in often. You also had to do something big to change some aspects of your media.

Sora is a video game character , and in my opinion , the most he bring is beeing the protagonist of a Disney X Final Fantasy cross-over , but with a bigger focus on Disney and original characters.
The gameplay is pretty unique , but I didn't saw much other games trying to copy it.

He's a pretty old character (mid 2000 if I recall , so 10-15 years) and is a good point.

I think Sora lack that little extra something. He's done some really amazing games , but...

He didn't had a aggressive marketing campaign wich stuck with people , like with Sonic. He was also the rival of Mario , and was a simple character , he was easy to remember , and was memorable.

Pac-man had a simple design and game , but it worked. His game and his company did a lot to push arcade gaming , and even , Pac-man had a pretty smooth transition to 3D with the Pac-man World games. Everybody know Pac-man.

And even if we take a younger character like Snake (I'm not a MGS expert , so sorry in advance) , compared to Sonic and Pac , his game was a classic on the PS1. It's one of the most famous stealth game of all time. If you show the cardboard box or the "!" with the sound effect , people will recognize it , it was memorable.

Sora doesn't have that in my opinion. He doesn't have that vert memorable thing , or a massive impact on his genre of game. I think that's why less people know Sora when you're talking about people who don't play games.

If you want another example , you probably know Spider-Man , but It's less probable that you know Green Lantern. Not to say Green Lantern comics are bad or anything , they're really good and have a pretty cool fanbase , but It's still stuck in this bubble of people who read comics.

That's what I think is iconic. You need one of these two aspect , beeing memorable because of marketing/popularity/design , even for people who don't play games (like with Crash Bandicoot , he was VERY active during the PS1 days), or you did something big for your media , like with Pac-man and the arcade.

And yeah , Geno isn't iconic , I'm not gonna lie to myself lol. I think he could have been a staple of the Mario RPGs if he stayed with Nintendo tho , alongside Mallow.

Last edited:

timbo8

Smash Cadet
it note to mention that sora has has connetion to mario which is kingdom hearts was made becuase they wanted a game like super mario 64

Dan

Smash Lord
At this point I'm hoping to like just one of the DLC characters, though nothing is worse than Piranha Plant (I'll probably eat my words). It'll probably be Crash or something.

Our boy's chances just got worse as if they were not 0; Nintendo says every character will be unexpected. I will be surprised if just a normal character like Bandana Dee makes it. Master Chief doesn't look so crazy all of a sudden.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe Vergeben was wrong about the first DLC because he thought Joker was a Square Enix character :'D

Now I'm Joker

I'll see myself out...

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Also , if we're talking about unexpected characters.

What if they do a Mallow on us. This would be hilarious lol.

And yeah , if we're talking about unexpected characters , they better bring my boy Klonoa in here , since Chibi-robo is already a costume.

But yeah , since Joker , I'm pretty confident in characters like Crash Bandicoot. But damn I'm sad for Rayman.

Also , unexpected characters is a pretty vague choice for words. It's unexpected , but for who ? The casual audience ? The Smash audience ? The Non-Nintendo audience ?
Because Geno is definitely unexpected for casuals , but not for Smash fans.
And a character like Tails , wich the casual audience know more may be expected , but not by Smash fans.

Sometimes I wish Reggie could shut up and give us Mother 3.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
If you are iconic , I think you should be knowed by people who don't use the media you are in often. You also had to do something big to change some aspects of your media.

Sora is a video game character , and in my opinion , the most he bring is beeing the protagonist of a Disney X Final Fantasy cross-over , but with a bigger focus on Disney and original characters.
The gameplay is pretty unique , but I didn't saw much other games trying to copy it.

He's a pretty old character (mid 2000 if I recall , so 10-15 years) and is a good point.

I think Sora lack that little extra something. He's done some really amazing games , but...

He didn't had a aggressive marketing campaign wich stuck with people , like with Sonic. He was also the rival of Mario , and was a simple character , he was easy to remember , and was memorable.

Pac-man had a simple design and game , but it worked. His game and his company did a lot to push arcade gaming , and even , Pac-man had a pretty smooth transition to 3D with the Pac-man World games. Everybody know Pac-man.

And even if we take a younger character like Snake (I'm not a MGS expert , so sorry in advance) , compared to Sonic and Pac , his game was a classic on the PS1. It's one of the most famous stealth game of all time. If you show the cardboard box or the "!" with the sound effect , people will recognize it , it was memorable.

Sora doesn't have that in my opinion. He doesn't have that vert memorable thing , or a massive impact on his genre of game. I think that's why less people know Sora when you're talking about people who don't play games.

If you want another example , you probably know Spider-Man , but It's less probable that you know Green Lantern. Not to say Green Lantern comics are bad or anything , they're really good and have a pretty cool fanbase , but It's still stuck in this bubble of people who read comics.

That's what I think is iconic. You need one of these two aspect , beeing memorable because of marketing/popularity/design , even for people who don't play games (like with Crash Bandicoot , he was VERY active during the PS1 days), or you did something big for your media , like with Pac-man and the arcade.

And yeah , Geno isn't iconic , I'm not gonna lie to myself lol. I think he could have been a staple of the Mario RPGs if he stayed with Nintendo tho , alongside Mallow.
A lot of the points you made are good, when I said Sora wasn't around as long, I meant compared to others. Someone else also made a good point, as I would view Master Chief as iconic, and he's been around just as long. I'll give you my opinion on the whole iconic thing, as I actually agree with points you made. Being iconic, to me, is not just a game that was good. It's something that changed the world of gaming forever.

Pac-Man was one of the first steps into arcade gaming, and is a big reason it grew popular along with Donkey Kong. Solid Snake was the first time a video game was really cinematic, feeling like a movie, while incorporating stealth mechanics never seen before. Sure, others were before it, but not in the way Metal Gear did. Mario saved the gaming industry as we know it, and Sonic was a big part of that as well. Cloud was the first time RPG's really grew popular worldwide. They had some fans before of course, but FF7 changed that forever. Same could be said for Ryu and fighting games, and Scorpion would be Ryu's Sonic. Master Chief was the first time online gaming was made popular on consoles, and in a way, paved the way for the modern shooter we know today.

As for Sora, I agree. It's just really hard to pinpoint where he is, as I wouldn't put him on the same pedestal as others, but I wouldn't say he is uniconic either. It just depends on how you view things, and iconicness is interpreted differently by a lot of people. Someone could say that Sora is on the same level as Crash Bandicoot for example, while others would definitely disagree and say Crash is one of the most iconic characters in gaming. Both are fantastic games, but it depends on how you look at things. It doesn't help that Sora is a Disney character

However, I don't think iconicness really applies for a Nintendo crossover, so Geno would still be the more deserving. I made this analogy the other day, but if this was a Capcom Vs. game, and the argument was for a character, let's say Amaterasu. Even if Sora for example would seem more recognizable, Amaterasu is the more popular character for that specific game.

To put it in point, it's hard to say exactly where Sora would go. He is popular, but he isn't on the same level.

Either way, Geno is the one that makes more sense for Smash for sure. I don't think Sora is happening at all

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why Geno gets so much damn hate on the internet? Holy hell its ridiculous
I've been asking that myself too. It's probably because they don't see why people like him and are jealous that such an old character has maintained a hardcore fanbase, with him getting high on polls.

You know what i also hate? These people are probably the same people who always say " x character didn't steal y's spot", yet when it comes to characters like Isaac and Geno, they're suddenly very dismissive to the idea of them getting in the roster. Almost like they would want their character sooner in and regard characters like Geno as less deserving (i also hate the word deserving).

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I've been asking that myself too. It's probably because they don't see why people like him and are jealous that such an old character has maintained a hardcore fanbase, with him getting high on polls.

You know what i also hate? These people are probably the same people who always say " x character didn't steal y's spot", yet when it comes to characters like Isaac and Geno, they're suddenly very dismissive to the idea of them getting in the roster. Almost like they would want their character sooner in and regard characters like Geno as less deserving (i also hate the word deserving).
Honestly, I think they feel pressured to like him because we are a loud and vocal minority, and they resent feeling pressured to like something, so they lash out.

It doesn't make sense for them to think that because we're obviously not trying to shove our opinions down anyone's throats or force people to like Geno, but that's what I think a lot of them believe, so...

timbo8

Smash Cadet
A lot of the points you made are good, when I said Sora wasn't around as long, I meant compared to others. Someone else also made a good point, as I would view Master Chief as iconic, and he's been around just as long. I'll give you my opinion on the whole iconic thing, as I actually agree with points you made. Being iconic, to me, is not just a game that was good. It's something that changed the world of gaming forever.

Pac-Man was one of the first steps into arcade gaming, and is a big reason it grew popular along with Donkey Kong. Solid Snake was the first time a video game was really cinematic, feeling like a movie, while incorporating stealth mechanics never seen before. Sure, others were before it, but not in the way Metal Gear did. Mario saved the gaming industry as we know it, and Sonic was a big part of that as well. Cloud was the first time RPG's really grew popular worldwide. They had some fans before of course, but FF7 changed that forever. Same could be said for Ryu and fighting games, and Scorpion would be Ryu's Sonic. Master Chief was the first time online gaming was made popular on consoles, and in a way, paved the way for the modern shooter we know today.

As for Sora, I agree. It's just really hard to pinpoint where he is, as I wouldn't put him on the same pedestal as others, but I wouldn't say he is uniconic either. It just depends on how you view things, and iconicness is interpreted differently by a lot of people. Someone could say that Sora is on the same level as Crash Bandicoot for example, while others would definitely disagree and say Crash is one of the most iconic characters in gaming. Both are fantastic games, but it depends on how you look at things. It doesn't help that Sora is a Disney character

However, I don't think iconicness really applies for a Nintendo crossover, so Geno would still be the more deserving. I made this analogy the other day, but if this was a Capcom Vs. game, and the argument was for a character, let's say Amaterasu. Even if Sora for example would seem more recognizable, Amaterasu is the more popular character for that specific game.

To put it in point, it's hard to say exactly where Sora would go. He is popular, but he isn't on the same level.

Either way, Geno is the one that makes more sense for Smash for sure. I don't think Sora is happening at all
I don’t know

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys been enjoying the game? The remade Melee stages look spectacular, especially Fourside! And Inkling is so much fun to play!

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think they feel pressured to like him because we are a loud and vocal minority, and they resent feeling pressured to like something, so they lash out.

It doesn't make sense for them to think that because we're obviously not trying to shove our opinions down anyone's throats or force people to like Geno, but that's what I think a lot of them believe, so...
I pretty much agree with all of that. Also, awesome profile pic! I love Geno's expression and the grasslands in the background.

dalolman

Smash Cadet
So, what's Geno's chances now? I read a huge post but I don't keep up much with this thread.
Is there still a slither of chance left for him, or are we going to just take Reggie's word?

Dan

Smash Lord
So, what's Geno's chances now? I read a huge post but I don't keep up much with this thread.
Is there still a slither of chance left for him, or are we going to just take Reggie's word?
People are going to tell you otherwise, but from a realist's perspective, it's slim-to-none.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
People are going to tell you otherwise, but from a realist's perspective, it's slim-to-none.
You could literally say that about any character.

This aside, a more realistic estimate is about 50/50. I also think people are taking what Reggie said a bit too literally, and misinterpreting it juuuuuuust a bit.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Have you guys been enjoying the game? The remade Melee stages look spectacular, especially Fourside! And Inkling is so much fun to play!
I'm still waiting for my copy to be delivered. With any luck it'll be here soonish. But the anticipation is killing me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm slowly coming to the realization that if Geno's in the game he'll probably be the 3rd or 4th character revealed, meaning he wouldn't even get announced until late spring to early fall. Swear to god if he's an E3 reveal, I might just have a heart attack...

OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer Updates are going to be fewer and farther in between because of the current landscape. It's hard to dig when the floor's made of steel. Tales is having a special 22nd anniversary stream on the 18th I believe and the voice actor for Lloyd is the first person speaking. If Lloyd (or Yuri) is in, there's a decent chance it would be announced here. That's basically it right now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Watch us have to wait a year before Geno is confirmed at the VGAs of 2019

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm slowly coming to the realization that if Geno's in the game he'll probably be the 3rd or 4th character revealed, meaning he wouldn't even get announced until late spring to early fall. Swear to god if he's an E3 reveal, I might just have a heart attack...

OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer Updates are going to be fewer and farther in between because of the current landscape. It's hard to dig when the floor's made of steel. Tales is having a special 22nd anniversary stream on the 18th I believe and the voice actor for Lloyd is the first person speaking. If Lloyd (or Yuri) is in, there's a decent chance it would be announced here. That's basically it right now.
I mean they announced Ridley last E3 so I could see them having another big fan favorite then.

What do you see as a more realistic SE rep at this point?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
it note to mention that sora has has connetion to mario which is kingdom hearts was made becuase they wanted a game like super mario 64
Now I think you are just pulling strings.

A Hat in Time was based on Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario Sunshine, so I guess it is only acceptable to have Banjo Kazooie be playable and give Hat Kid the FLUDD as an accessory.

Also not to soft moderate or sound harsh but I want to remind you that this isn't Sora's thread. It is Geno's thread. The only time Sora is brought up is regarding comparisons to Geno. We don't normally discuss his chances as an individual. Mainly considering he has already been written off by multiple insiders.

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Wait a moment
Ultimate is the 5th smashbros
5 DLC characters
Persona 5 protagonist is Joker
Protagonist are always the first member of their party
Joker is the first dlc
Tales of Symphonia is the 5th in its series
It's a game about 2 parallel worlds
Lloyd has 2 swords
Super Mario RPG has a party of 5 characters
Geno is the 3rd member
Hmmmmmm

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Just got the game. For those wondering, it's what I remembered. Three missing

IMG_7750.jpeg

Edit: Welp I tried to show a pic, just trust me in the music section there is 3 missing like how the SSS is missing slots. So take that how you want

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom