• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I'm sorry, what? He literally says 'characters that are NEW TO THE SERIES, just like Joker from Persona 5'

Try again my man.

EDIT: To make sure I was word for word on Reggie, if you want proof look up @RogersBase vid on YT
I think Psycho was referring to the fact that Reggie did not say they had to be specifically third party.

Also, “New to the series” could mean a lot of things, maybe only as much as “haven’t been full-fledged playable fighters before”, putting it in contrast to the everyone is already here thing. I mean who knows, I’m just saying his words can be interpreted a lot of ways.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
God I’m so exhausted. What a show.

Can someone please tell me more about the HQ question? Like, what does it mean for at least Geno’s acknowledgement and stuff like this. I’m not really familiar with this topic.
It's a mobile app trivia game. Nintendo apparently sponsored today's Smash bros/Nintendo themed game and gave them questions to ask. Geno was the answer to one of the questions.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
A few other people also heard this, but when he said challenger pack 1 he was referring to the first character/stage/music DLC of the fighter’s pass, NOT the entire pass itself. He did not imply there’d be another fighter’s pass, he was referring to just the first DLC character.
Oh really? Gosh dang it, I was excited lol.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
It's a mobile app trivia game. Nintendo apparently sponsored today's Smash bros/Nintendo themed game and gave them questions to ask. Geno was the answer to one of the questions.
Oh wow, that’s really nice and unexpected. Thanks for an explanation.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Geno isn't new to Smash: he had the Mii Costume in Smash 4 and is a Spirit in Ultimate.

Geno is not new to Smash in any form other than another medium like being playable or an AT. Thus, Geno is not new to Smash and is out of the running if we listen to Reggie's words.

EDIT: Whoops, I responded hella fast.
I think you're taking "new to the series" too literally. You could call K. Rool new to Smash because what he had before was a costume and not the actual character just like Geno's costume. I don't think new to the series means "never been in the series in any shape or form".

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Don't lose heart fam. Until we've seen Seph or some lousy DQ rep, there's no need to lose hope completely yet. Remember that the Square rep has been rumored since the very beginning; the bait was taken (no DQ despite the nomination, so Pandy is out) so we aren't out of the running just yet!

(Also Joker is gonna be an anime sword in some form or fashion soooo that doesn't look the best for Geno's competition)

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
It was news to everyone. All companies involved did a very good job of keeping it a secret.
Thanks for the response! Do you think the reveal has any bearing on any news you've previously heard from your sources? (Not just about Geno, but in general)

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Yea I wouldnt worry too much about this announcement. Keep in mind that square leak has been around for awhile, and I wouldnt be surprised if someone at Nintendo caught wind of the rumours and decided to switch the release timing on the square character.

Joker isnt really a random choice either. I had mentioned that Sega was under represented in the newcomer thread compared to most of the other series that had more more or less history with nintendo.
And Persona is actually one of the very few franchises Sega owns that they still continue to pour money into.
Although my initial thought was another Sonic character, Persona is a franchise that has a strong foundation as a running series.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I see a ton of people saying Joker's inclusion is bad for Geno but I honestly don't see it. Geno would still be pretty unexpected by a vast majority of people.

Tbh I see the Geno spirit being a much bigger deconfirming factor if anything but even there, can't 100% give up quite yet.

Far as I know, nobody knows ANYTHING about who's in, and I like it that way. Could be Crash, Doomslayer, Geno, your grandma...anyone. That's all the Joker proved tonight, and I think the only characters hurt by tonight's events are widely expected first parties like Bandana Dee

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the response! Do you think the reveal has any bearing on any news you've previously heard from your sources? (Not just about Geno, but in general)
I don't think this really changes anything. I'm going to do some more digging, but everything I said previously still stands.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Don't lose heart fam. Until we've seen Seph or some lousy DQ rep, there's no need to lose hope completely yet. Remember that the Square rep has been rumored since the very beginning; the bait was taken (no DQ despite the nomination, so Pandy is out) so we aren't out of the running just yet!

(Also Joker is gonna be an anime sword in some form or fashion soooo that doesn't look the best for Geno's competition)
Joker wields guns, knives, and most importantly summons Personae to be able to cast different kinds of magic. I don’t see why you think he’d be an anime swordfighter.

D

Deleted member

I still hope Geno's going to be DLC.

Please just give me my blue puppet boy :(

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I think you're taking "new to the series" too literally. You could call K. Rool new to Smash because what he had before was a costume and not the actual character just like Geno's costume. I don't think new to the series means "never been in the series in any shape or form".
Agreed. Remember the Mii Costume, while important, is still very much for Mii Gunner

And it’s missing this time around.

The spirit, while worrisome is I think still nothing to worry about atm there’s no way he knows every Spirit or even takes that into account

Also Vergeben’s words make me put a little more weight in the SE Negotiation Claim. He ignored the Sega Rep message as a one off thing and it turned out to be true

Also, guys, Persona 5 Music in Smash is gonna be SO GOOD. He uses a dagger and gun so technically no sword fighter. AND ARSENE

Also is there some kind of source or does someone know what was said pertaining about this Geno message thing??

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Joker wields guns, knives, and most importantly summons Personae to be able to cast different kinds of magic. I don’t see why you think he’d be an anime swordfighter.
You've got a point buuuut... I still think he's gonna have a little anime sword in him. Nothing is proven until we see gameplay, yeah. But I bet his normals are still gonna be a lotta disjoints with knives. We'll see, at any rate. ;)

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
Dang you guys, I had to read through 20+ pages! You guys are nuts! I'm pretty relieved that they didn't reveal any SE characters. I've never played persona, but this Joker character looks like he'd add something unique to Smash. This also confirms that nobody really knows anything about DLC. Nobody was expecting Joker! I feel like any leaker is probably full of BS. I'm still hoping for Geno, but for now, I'm content with what we have and I'm super excited to play the game in the morning.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Also guys, wouldn’t worry too much about the gravity of Geno being a Legendary Spirit affecting his potential as being one of the four remaining fighters. You know who ELSE is a Legendary Spirit?
Ness’s Dad. The picture is literally the phone lmaoo

AND
you fight Ness and Invisible Snake which is references the face that you literally never see Ness’s Dad in Earthbound lmaoooooo

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This. I feel like people are jumping into quick conclusions after his words, but we will see.

Actually, kinda unrelated, isn't Sakurai a Persona fan? I remember him talking about how great P5 is and how much he loved the UI.
He is.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The fact that Nintendo jebaited its own employees to keep this a secret is pretty amazing. "You'll never see me coming" indeed. This swerved literally everyone behind the scenes. Bravo, Nintendo, bravo. Some of my takes:

-Further confirmation that newcomers will be wanted on a worldwide scale. (Dragon Quest BTFO, IMHO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will have global recognition and be important to gamers worldwide (Dragon Quest double BTFO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will tread new ground in what they can do and how they can fight.

-Further confirmation that hard shills will probably not be part of DLC.

-Nintendo is going in deep and hard to please fans.

Tonight was a good night if you ask me.
So you are saying that we are getting Goku (just kidding)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If I've learned anything with the Joker reveal it's that I might as well sit back and not worry about characters anymore because my predictions are going to be way off. My favorite part about it is that no one predicted it. I think Polar Panda's source was spot when they stressed that no one knows the DLC. At this point pretty much anything is possible (including Geno).

I'm really excited for Joker and Persona's fans. Fun fact, Persona 5 was voted Japan's favorite game last year in famitsu's top 100 games poll. It even dethroned Dragon Quest 3, which seems to win every year! I've been putting off playing the series myself, so mission accomplished Nintendo I just picked up a copy of P5.

When it comes to Geno, I think we'll just have to wait and see. Dragon Quest at the VGAs was wrong, Vergeben was wrong. It feels like a big reset button was pressed. Everything is up in the air. That said, Joker was a big surprise, so it may lend some credence to spirits disconfirming. I'll keep hoping though, it's kinda what Geno and Star Road are all about after all.

Oooh.. this makes so much sense now.

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
So how is Smash Ultimate so far (those of you who bought the digital) ?

Last edited:

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
I see a ton of people saying Joker's inclusion is bad for Geno but I honestly don't see it. Geno would still be pretty unexpected by a vast majority of people.

Tbh I see the Geno spirit being a much bigger deconfirming factor if anything but even there, can't 100% give up quite yet.

Far as I know, nobody knows ANYTHING about who's in, and I like it that way. Could be Crash, Doomslayer, Geno, your grandma...anyone. That's all the Joker proved tonight, and I think the only characters hurt by tonight's events are widely expected first parties like Bandana Dee
I’d love to see my grandma’s final smash...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I want to repeat that last night was a good night. A REALLY good night. I get chills just thinking about it and I don't even care about Persona. I'm going to do a State of the Geno™ address later today to go over all the talking points because I think last night was a godsend and eased the fears fans were having in a lot of ways. Hopefully I can get started on the post in about an hour.

Last edited:

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
I want to repeat that last night was a good night. A REALLY good night. I get chills just thinking about it and I don't even care about Persona. I'm going to do a State of the Geno™ address later today to go over all the talking points because I think last night was a godsend and eased the fears fans were having in a lot of ways. Hopefully I can get started on the post in about an hour.
You know what else would have eased fears? A Geno announcement.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
"characters that are new to the series like Joker from Persona 5"

it's a weird statement since every past character is here, anyone would be technically new, i have the feeling that it means every new fighter from the pass will be from a new serie of games not represented yet
Like for exemple Travis from No more Heroes

beans

Smash Lord
Wow the 2014 rumor got BTFO hard
I like the fact Persona have a fighter.
but if you asked id go with Yu and Demi-Fiend
Im disapointed on the trailer tough.
I want to see the model of him.
But I guess this just breaks the "need gameplay to announce" argument harder.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Vergeben say that the first DLC character would be the Square Rep? Or did he go back on that? Granted, that was back when we thought that Hitagi was credible iirc.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
God I’m so exhausted. What a show.

Can someone please tell me more about the HQ question? Like, what does it mean for at least Geno’s acknowledgement and stuff like this. I’m not really familiar with this topic.
Can you provide clarification on this? I'm interesting in hearing more.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
So, i see a lot went down while i was gone. Finally done with the tests and Joker is in Smash. I'm ok with him, but tbh, i've lost hope. It seems they're going for more mainstream characters this time.

But i have to ask:
1. Is it true they mentioned Geno last night?
2. Can we trust anyone from now on? Vergeben was wrong, so that probably means no one knows the DLC, right?

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
So, i see a lot went down while i was gone. Finally done with the tests and Joker is in Smash. I'm ok with him, but tbh, i've lost hope. It seems they're going for more mainstream characters this time.

But i have to ask:
1. Is it true they mentioned Geno last night?
2. Can we trust anyone from now on? Vergeben was wrong, so that probably means no one knows the DLC, right?
Wait, did they mention Geno last? I missed part of the VGA.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Wait, did they mention Geno last? I missed part of the VGA.
I'm not sure, but i think it was some trivia question and the answer to it being Geno. I'm pretty sure that was seperate from the VGAs.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
****, you guys, I love the Oscars! I can't wait to see what movies get awarded next year.

Also,
Ninja hosted -_-
"**** the Oscars" guy was invited back somehow (not that I mind, but holy **** watch Geoff's face)
"OMGZ guyz, Fortnite is good, buy Fortnite shtuff" drilled into everything
Gay black furry. We checkin' the boxes for all that sweet, sweet, attention representation, huh?
Random-ass Muppet (unless there was a point to that and I missed it)
-****ty indie games with the same generic art style.
-STRONG FEMALE PROTAGONIST.
-EA still exists. Thanks, Reddit nerds out there who write lengthy posts explaining why EA sucks and then goes out and buys their games anyway.
-Gaming industry is slowly being pounded by the Hollywood. Goodbye gameplay over graphics, it was nice knowing ya.

But brainless fanboys will still say this was a good VGA and defend themselves with "it's muh opinion".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom