• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is anyone else seeing a bunch of people online quoting Reggie as saying the DLC will all be from franchises not yet in Smash? Because I didn't hear him say that. Just that they would be unexpected.
That specifically is twisting his words

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
The fact that Nintendo jebaited its own employees to keep this a secret is pretty amazing. "You'll never see me coming" indeed. This swerved literally everyone behind the scenes. Bravo, Nintendo, bravo. Some of my takes:

-Further confirmation that newcomers will be wanted on a worldwide scale. (Dragon Quest BTFO, IMHO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will have global recognition and be important to gamers worldwide (Dragon Quest double BTFO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will tread new ground in what they can do and how they can fight.

-Further confirmation that hard shills will probably not be part of DLC.

-Nintendo is going in deep and hard to please fans.

Tonight was a good night if you ask me.
I hope you're right.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
If I've learned anything with the Joker reveal it's that I might as well sit back and not worry about characters anymore because my predictions are going to be way off. My favorite part about it is that no one predicted it. I think Polar Panda's source was spot when they stressed that no one knows the DLC. At this point pretty much anything is possible (including Geno).

I'm really excited for Joker and Persona's fans. Fun fact, Persona 5 was voted Japan's favorite game last year in famitsu's top 100 games poll. It even dethroned Dragon Quest 3, which seems to win every year! I've been putting off playing the series myself, so mission accomplished Nintendo I just picked up a copy of P5.

When it comes to Geno, I think we'll just have to wait and see. Dragon Quest at the VGAs was wrong, Vergeben was wrong. It feels like a big reset button was pressed. Everything is up in the air. That said, Joker was a big surprise, so it may lend some credence to spirits disconfirming. I'll keep hoping though, it's kinda what Geno and Star Road are all about after all.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
When it comes to Geno, I think we'll just have to wait and see. Dragon Quest at the VGAs was wrong, Vergeben was wrong. It feels like a big reset button was pressed. Everything is up in the air. That said, Joker was a big surprise, so it may lend some credence to spirits disconfirming. I'll keep hoping though, it's kinda what Geno and Star Road are all about after all.
I think if anything what Joker deconfirmed was the idea that "obvious" and "important" Nintendo characters that people noticed didn't yet have spirits like Porky, Sylux, Yoshi's dog, etc. were automatically going to be the DLC characters.

Last edited:

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
I dunno what to tell you
You could be honest with me and tell me that these DLC picks are going to be geared more towards mainstream popularity than legacy, since Persona owes it's entire existence to Megami Tensei.

And also that Atlus is currently milking the Persona 5 brand again just like P4.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Also a reminder that Persona Q2 just recently released on 3DS November 29nth (thus Joker's inclusion and reveal at the VGAs), and that Square is interested in bringing old classics to the Switch.

So a Geno announcement around whenever Square decides to either cement that as fact, or announce whatever they're working on wouldn't be too far fetched.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm going to be honest I don't know a thing about Persona. Is Joker a new character? As in was he around in 2015 when they started development or newer? Does anyone consider him a "shill" pick?
His game came out in 2016 in Japan, 2017 elsewhere, so I don’t really see it as a shill pick. (His game isn’t even on Nintendo consoles, although a spin-off is, and so are titles in the mainline Shin Megami Tensei franchise)

With Joker's announcement, I think 2B has catapulted to the front as SE rep. Recent game, incredible hit, very recognizable, company promoting it everywhere. Same situation as Joker.
They’re similar, but 2B was in Soul Calibur 6 recently, so she’s may be out of the running. Though wasn’t Joker in that game by ArcSys?

Either way, I don’t know if 2B qualifies for Smash. She hasn’t made a cameo on any game on a Nintendo console, and Nier and Drakengard in general have been absent as far as I know.

I'm honestly scratching my head at this. Did Joker ever make it onto any Ballot polls? Because if Nintendo is just going with picks that no one really asked for I could see a lot of people being a bit mad if their big character doesn't get in just because Nintendo wanted to be unpredictable.
He didn’t make the ballot because his game hadn’t come out then, but after it did he started placing decently on polls. Not super great, but maybe top 25-ish.

"New to the series."

That's literally every character in Video Game history that hasn't been playable.
Or a trophy, Assist, boss, sticker, Spirit, etc.

Sounds like all of you don't expect Geno.....

If only unexpected characters made it into the DLC pass.
But if we expect the unexpected, then it becomes expected and thus not it.

But if it won’t be in, it’ll be unexpected when it does!

Aghhhh

Yeah I don't get this either.

But it kind of depends on Nintendo's definition of "popular with the general gaming crowd. Because as you can see from a lot of the comments here there are a lot of people who don't really know Persona. I wouldn't say it's a super mainstream game on the level of Final Fantasy or KH.
It did sell over 2 million copies, becoming Atlus’ best seller in Japan and the best selling title in its long running series. It also got a ton of awards, has two spinoffs, cameos in other games like Sonic Forces, and a manga and anime. I’d go so far as to call Joker iconic.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Yoooooo I’m gonna be honest with y’all. When I saw like mockups for Joker for smash I...kinda laughed it off. I put him in there with joke characters like Shrek and Goku. No way did I think a Persona character would get one Smash and I’m kinda blown away. I have NO idea what this means for Geno.

However, Persona 5 is an INCREDIBLE game and i suggest everyone play if they can.

I don’t think Joker counts as a “unknown” pick. He’s probably more unknown outside the smash fan base but his general fan base are huge anddddd it won Best RPG LAST year at the Game Awards.

He’s very relevant, and I’d argue a very popular character. However, he’s probably more unknown to casual smash fans. IMO this is a very good pick. However, I’m not sure this is the SUPER popular or SUPER relevant pick. Which I think might throw those arguments out.

Someone said they think 2B is a front runner and I’m a little inclined to believe them, but I also think this puts a big dent in Sephiroth’s chances.

Based on what Reggie said, I'm not feeling too good about DLC in general. I'm sorry, but Persona 5 as your opener? That shows me Nintendo isn't looking at fans at all. I hate being pessimistic, but man, I feel rough.
I’d disagree. I’m sure there are several fans out there who wanted Joker in Smash or who want Joker. And there’s five slots to go to gauge their picks. Persona 5 is super popular, but not super relevant right now, could be good for Geno.
Didn't Reggie say that all newcomers would be "one's you wouldn't anticipate"? Could've heard wrong though, albeit that's what's stated on Gamespot.
People keep telling us fans outside the Smash community aren’t sooooooo

Pristine

Smash Cadet
His game came out in 2016 in Japan, 2017 elsewhere, so I don’t really see it as a shill pick. (His game isn’t even on Nintendo consoles, although a spin-off is, and so are titles in the mainline Shin Megami Tensei franchise)

Wait wait wait, his game came out in 2016? Did he exist before then? Could've sworn Sakurai said that nobody after 2015 would be considered.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Nintendo jebaited its own employees to keep this a secret is pretty amazing. "You'll never see me coming" indeed. This swerved literally everyone behind the scenes. Bravo, Nintendo, bravo. Some of my takes:

-Further confirmation that newcomers will be wanted on a worldwide scale. (Dragon Quest BTFO, IMHO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will have global recognition and be important to gamers worldwide (Dragon Quest double BTFO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will tread new ground in what they can do and how they can fight.

-Further confirmation that hard shills will probably not be part of DLC.

-Nintendo is going in deep and hard to please fans.

Tonight was a good night if you ask me.
this
you all are giving up hope too easily.
Keep the faith. We will get what we want, our future has never been brighter.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I think people who keep saying Geno is an expected pick need to take a step back and remember the pages of discussions where the main thing people had against Geno was him being a side character from a 20 year old game. Reggie wasn't specifically speaking to Smash fans. He was speaking to the audience of the VGAs. Do you think the general audience of the VGAs including all the little zoomers on Twitch know/recognize Geno? There are a good amount of people in the Smash community that for years have said Geno is never going to happen because he's too obscure. So in the grand mainstream opinion (not in the Smash community) do you really think Geno is expected or unexpected?
Guys, the toy. The question about Geno on TGA. Etc..
Nobody expects an old puppet from a 22 yo game, right? ;)

Don't you dare to lose hope :3
I want to believe, you guys. I really do. And I still hope so much he and pretty much any others of the top 5 (Banjo, Lloyd, Bandana Dee, etc.) will make it. I just get the feeling with Reggie's words, that this will only be a negative for our most wanted.

Hopefully, my feelings will change. And I'm not upset at Persona--if anything, I'm now more interested in giving it a shot. Not being pessimistic or depressive at all, over here. It's just hard to see all this as a definite positive toward Geno's inclusion.

At most, I feel we're right back where we were before the VGAs. And that's okay, for now.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Hitagi was never credible at all. They just wanted attention. I've never seen anyone backpedal as hard as they did on literally everything they said.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
He did not exist before then (unless you count trailers and the game being in development for a while). But I don’t think Sakurai said that.

Well, the project plan for base game was decided in 2015, but we don’t know when DLC was decided. Probably after Persona 5 releases and became a sensation, because I don’t see them picking Joker otherwise.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Guys, the toy. The question about Geno on TGA. Etc..
Nobody expects an old puppet from a 22 yo game, right? ;)

Don't you dare to lose hope :3
I wish I shared your optimism. At this point all I'm hoping for is the DLC to not include steve.:confused:

Dragon Quest at the VGAs was wrong
If nothing else, I still get to laugh at LeakyPandy!

Last edited:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
I wish I shared your optimism. At this point all I'm hoping for is the DLC to not include steve.:confused:

If nothing else, I still get to laugh at LeakyPandy!
and verge, who was the one who touted that the SE rep was def first. and probably a dq character

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Holy **** by looking at this thread you'd think that the VGAs just showed a cutaway of Erdrick dryhumping a Geno doll or something. I don't really see this as deconfirmation for Geno at all. He's an "unexpected character" to the masses but is still popular enough to be voted on by Smash fans. Reggie didn't say DLC is going to be all-new franchises. He didn't imply characters popular in the Smash community are going to be ignored. People are being a little too pessimistic here. It's obviously not a huge lean in our favor but I don't honestly see this as a net negative. The major thing that happened was that several leakers got btfo hardcore

>inb4 Vergeben says tomorrow that he knew Joker was in all-along

Lets not forget that Geno is listed as a MARIO character. I don't wanna say Nintendo may have gotten his rights back but um........ i think they did
At the very least after the HQ question that popped up tonight put together with the 22nd anniversary post, the artist saying Geno was a hot topic at the Nintendo offices a few years ago, and SMRPG on the SNES Classic I think it's fair to say that Nintendo is attempting to put Geno back into the awareness of the mainstream despite the fact that SE has his rights. It just seems a little too weird at this point for them to be doing all of these deliberate things if they didn't care about him as a character.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If anyone does. You can agree that he's a liar.

Nintendo CLEARLY passed the message to anyone with "Infoes" that it was Prime and Metroid that would get the VGA spotlight.

There were HEARSAYS of Smash DLC but everyone threw them away because of what Nintendo said. The Metroid stuff.

No one knew about Joker. No one.

We all. Ever insiders. Got out keikakuu'd

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Holy **** by looking at this thread you'd think that the VGAs just showed a cutaway of Erdrick dryhumping a Geno doll or something. I don't really see this as deconfirmation for Geno at all. He's an "unexpected character" to the masses but is still popular enough to be voted on by Smash fans. Reggie didn't say DLC is going to be all-new franchises. He didn't imply characters popular in the Smash community are going to be ignored. People are being a little too pessimistic here. It's obviously not a huge lean in our favor but I don't honestly see this as a net negative. The major thing that happened was that several leakers got btfo hardcore

At the very least after the HQ question that popped up tonight put together with the 22nd anniversary post, the artist saying Geno was a hot topic at the Nintendo offices a few years ago, and SMRPG on the SNES Classic I think it's fair to say that Nintendo is attempting to put Geno back into the awareness of the mainstream despite the fact that SE has his rights. It just seems a little too weird at this point for them to be doing all of these deliberate things if they didn't care about him as a character.
hes already trying to do that now.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77276339

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Don't give up Geno fans! He is still a third party which is better than being a first party. Your dream is not dead!

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Stay strong Genobros and others. We all thought the SE rep would be first but that **** got straight bopped tonight. The hearsay is nothing but, for this one shining moment, so let's all say our prayers for the Starsend Savior coming next. ;)

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
By the way: it was fighters pass.. ONE. If that implies what I think it implies.... ;3
JOKER HYPE! also, y'all's thoughts on what Reggie said regarding the DLC fighter choices, and the fact we'll get another pack?
A few other people also heard this, but when he said challenger pack 1 he was referring to the first character/stage/music DLC of the fighter’s pass, NOT the entire pass itself. He did not imply there’d be another fighter’s pass, he was referring to just the first DLC character.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Characters new to the series..not series new to the series.
Geno isn't new to Smash: he had the Mii Costume in Smash 4 and is a Spirit in Ultimate.

Geno is not new to Smash in any form other than another medium like being playable or an AT. Thus, Geno is not new to Smash and is out of the running if we listen to Reggie's words.

EDIT: Whoops, I responded hella fast.

Last edited:

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
God I’m so exhausted. What a show.

Can someone please tell me more about the HQ question? Like, what does it mean for at least Geno’s acknowledgement and stuff like this. I’m not really familiar with this topic.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
God I’m so exhausted. What a show.

Can someone please tell me more about the HQ question? Like, what does it mean for at least Geno’s acknowledgement and stuff like this. I’m not really familiar with this topic.
SAme cuz idkwtf this HQ question thing even is.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if anyone has commented on this yet but Xenother posted on GameFAQs that the Joker reveal was news to him also.

Hmm...
It was news to everyone. All companies involved did a very good job of keeping it a secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom