• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
There’s nothing wrong with speculating until we get to the point that Geno is barely talked about and when his chances are brought up people get angry that we think he has the best shot of all the SE guys. Just because we’re the largest of the last men standing here in the character speculation forum does not mean this becomes the General Discussion thread
We quite literally have no choice though. Since most leakers usually put there stuff down here to the point that this may as well be considered a general thread. We want to be involved too and it just so happens that if we want info/to speculate other smash fans, this place is most optimal.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We quite literally have no choice though. Since most leakers usually put there stuff down here to the point that this may as well be considered a general thread. We want to be involved too and it just so happens that if we want info/to speculate other smash fans, this place is most optimal.
Yet you're rebuffing the choice you're being given, of having a Squenix character rep thread made so you don't have to do this, and also come onto the Geno thread and put down the Geno supporters and act like you're the victim due to us being a little emotional over, y'know, our most wanted character

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Yet you're rebuffing the choice you're being given, of having a Squenix character rep thread made so you don't have to do this, and also come onto the Geno thread and put down the Geno supporters and act like you're the victim due to us being a little emotional over, y'know, our most wanted character
There's no guarantee that leakers will post there, it's quite an inferior to choice when compared to say, this thread. That's practically the entire bulk of us staying here. Offering speculation as to whether Sephiroth makes it in (or anyone not named Geno) providing sound logic vs Geno's own sound logic=/= "putting down Geno supporters".

Try again.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I mean, this isn't wrong, so nothing to apologize for. Totally ignoring your advice from earlier, how would you envision Sora to fight? What would be the things that set him apart from other characters?
Mind if I jump in on this?

If we are talking about KH3 Sora, then his moveset potential is huge. Not only can he use a keyblade, he can use his crossbows, staff, shield, and can dual wield. This makes his weapon choice not limited to only a sword and not fall into the whole anime swordsman thing.

Im sure his main weapon would be his keyblade, but his specials could incorporate his other weapons. His Ultimate Special could be his classic unlocking beam, or it could be him entering his final form, dual wielding and attacking his enemies. Also if Nintendo and Sakurai wanted to be brave they could give Sora a switch stance, similar to how Ullr is in Smite. This would have him alternate his keyblade to let say his staff as his main weapon. These are just some thoughts.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Who's putting down the Geno supporters though? As far as I can tell, we're just giving our two cents like everyone else. I don't think anyone's trying to put down Geno fans

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There's no guarantee that leakers will post there, it's quite an inferior to choice when compared to say, this thread. Offering speculation as to whether Sephiroth makes it in proving sound logic vs Geno's own sound logic=/= "putting down Geno supporters".

Try again.
I mean, see, I'm trying, but the big point of "you're literally waltzing into the Geno support thread and acting like we have no right to complain about Geno being put down by people flocking here so they can see some insider info".

For the record; I defended the sound logic of Seph being in. I was one of the only people who tried to defend AGL's post. I don't think Geno is likely. But I do think you're entirely missing my point and also refusing how the people in this thread feel.

Don't you think we've had quite a bit of "sound logic vs Geno" in these past days?

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
There's no guarantee that leakers will post there, it's quite an inferior to choice when compared to say, this thread. That's practically the entire bulk of us staying here. Offering speculation as to whether Sephiroth makes it in (or anyone not named Geno) providing sound logic vs Geno's own sound logic=/= "putting down Geno supporters".

Try again.
Perhaps whatever gets leaked here could be discussed in a hypothetical SE Rep General thread? It's not rocket science.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Moving the topic back to Geno, if he gets in Smash Ultimate what would his moveset be? Would he have a new Spirit added and would he be added to the World of Light story mode, any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There’s nothing wrong with speculating until we get to the point that Geno is barely talked about and when his chances are brought up people get angry that we think he has the best shot of all the SE guys. Just because we’re the largest of the last men standing here in the character speculation forum does not mean this becomes the General Discussion thread
I don't think the issue is that we're the largest last standing character or that we're being punished for being said last standing request (And I mean, we've got seniority, but characters like Bandanna Dee and Shantae still have a shot in theory and are noticeably big as well).

I think this is just what happens when you have people leaking information that pertains to the game specifically in this thread. And that calls a lot of attention. Especially when the biggest claim has been, there are 7 characters in discussion. That's going to get people talking left and right, and specifically on those characters and how they impact one another.

Threads get horribly off topic as communities talk about other characters all the time. Hell, part of what we've done includes talking about DLC picks, Smash specific memories, and so on. Obviously that's the community angle of a character thread, but that's why a lot of people also go to those threads is they enjoy the community. Several people have mentioned this thread feels like a more inviting and less toxic place than the General Thread for some of the discussions. It seems like some of the people just enjoy the community that we've fostered here, and I say we should encourage those people to stay and discuss.

Now, obviously not everyone is here for that aspect, but I do see some positive new faces and that's something only good for us. Call out the people who are more actively putting up resistance specifically against the character of Geno, but invite people to our off topic discussions (And on topic in the case of Square characters). I mean there really isn't much else to talk about that's all that relevant at the moment, and when people bring up other things like Super Mario RPG memories they seem to still get enough traction to have a full discussion across a few pages.

Plus, we've got records to set length wise! Who cares if a good half ends up being filler discussion if we've got the most replies of a character thread haha?

/s to the last part

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
There's no guarantee that leakers will post there, it's quite an inferior to choice when compared to say, this thread. That's practically the entire bulk of us staying here. Offering speculation as to whether Sephiroth makes it in (or anyone not named Geno) proving sound logic vs Geno's own sound logic=/= "putting down Geno supporters".

Try again.
Leakers maybe won't post there. But you can be sure that, if I manage the thread, I'll do my best to relay information posted here in the other thread. I believe I did a good job to relay info during every vergeben intervention back in March until october/November, alongside any insidrs info I could find during the Grinch leaks. But who knows lmao-

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Can you literally not read the very first part of my statement.
I'm lookin at it and ah

Leakers maybe won't post there. But you can be sure that, if I manage the thread, I'll do my best to relay information posted here in the other thread. I believe I did a good job to relay info during every vergeben intervention back in March until october/November, alongside any insidrs info I could find during the Grinch leaks. But who knows lmao-
Maybe this post, by Nekoo, who suggested the thread in the first place, will open your mind a little

Pristine

Smash Cadet
That's good to know, actually. If it can happen, pretty sure we'll gladly settle there.

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
Can you literally not read the very first part of my statement.
I can, and guess what?

Vergeben only leaks stuff to GameFAQs, yet I see his gospel on Reddit, 4chan, Discord, here, etc. Point being that it isn't a big deal for something to be leaked somewhere, and to be discussed elsewhere.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
I'm lookin at it and ah

Maybe this post, by Nekoo, who suggested the thread in the first place, will open your mind a little
You do realize that post was conveniently made seconds after my comment right? Honestly it must be detrimental being this condescending.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I am going to bed.

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I hope, though, you can get why I am a bit frustrated. Months and months of Geno being likely then unlikely then likely then unlikely and so on take a toll.

Have a good night all, let's hope for some good big news tomorrow about Smash.

You do realize that post was conveniently made seconds after my comment right? Honestly it must be detrimental being this condescending.
See my above post.
Apologies if I was condescending. But I hope you can understand I am very, very tired of seeing the same arguments against Geno literally every day. I have been advocating for the guy since August.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Moving the topic back to Geno, if he gets in Smash Ultimate what would his moveset be? Would he have a new Spirit added and would he be added to the World of Light story mode, any thoughts on this?
For Geno moveset

neutral b - Geno beam
side b - Geno whirl
up b - launching himself with a cannon
down b - Geno boost
final smash - Geno blast or Geno flash

For DLC, I think they could add fighter spirits for the characters and call them, for example, Geno (fighter). This isn't a feature for characters in the base roster, but I think it could be a feature for the DLC characters

I really hope he can be in WoL, lol. I'm not sure if DLC will be added to WoL, but if they can make fighter spirits for characters with (fighter) after the characters' name, then I think they can be part of WoL

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Keeping this in mind, as I’ve stated before: What exactly would Sephiroth be cross promoting? The FFVII re-release on the switch? You already have Cloud, the protagonist of that game, heavily in smash? The FF Switch Releases? But isn’t...Cloud already taking that role? At least Cloud was not only cross promoting his series, but a new main FF installment.

Also note, most of Square’s cross promo guest characters are from Square games that are owned solely by Square with the exception of 2B. One of the few games with that distinction is FF, their flagship series. They broke their pattern with 2B, as you've mentioned, and also promoting an incredibly popular game.

But regarding Smash, since Cloud is already in, why would they put in ANOTHER FF character? It's not like it's more advantageous to the sales of FF if another FF rep of the same game came out as DLC promoting the same game and series as their rep already in the base game. It's already there. I don't see how people would see Sephiroth and be more inclined to buy FF as opposed to seeing Cloud. And now they have a "2B case", with a fan requested character they own on the table. And its not like theyd have to split it or negotiate with another company, similar to 2B, they would be splitting it with Nintendo, which is what they would've been doing already. Nintendo is also involved.
No matter how you slice it, it’s newcomers that advertise new games. Veterans, stages, ATs, those are all things that get lost in the shuffle. Cloud gets as much promotion as any other character, whereas a newcomer (especially a DLC newcomer, as those are revealed in a vacuum) gets a lot more exposure. Plus, they can reveal Sephiroth alongside a trailer for FF7/FF7R for Switch like they did with Isabelle.

I feel similarly and I also agree that it is very possible the SE character is Sephiroth. I believe there are certain things against his inclusion as well. I guess my issue is that this is a Geno thread not a Sephiroth thread or a general SE thread. It oftentimes feels like (especially over the past two days now) that the thread has been co-opted by people who very obviously would prefer another character get in over Geno. I understand there is a relevant discussion to be had weighing Geno's chances against other characters. But at times it feels a little bit disingenuous that there are several people who very obviously would rather not have Geno in the game over certain other characters in a thread arguing for pages about the character they want's chances while implying they "totally support Geno too". Lettuce b cereal: Those people are in this thread because it's active as **** and where all the hot scoops. I get that. But for example, I don't see the Bandanna Dee thread filled with debates between Adeleine supporters and Bandanna Dee supporters despite her being a name being tossed around because she doesn't have a spirit. Nor are people letting the Sora thread know likely they think Geno is in comparison to Sora. It just feels inappropriate and weird at times considering this is still the Geno thread and not a more general discussion thread at least from my perspective.
This is the Geno support thread, not the Geno and nobody else support thread. People can support Geno while also wanting other characters more.

Plus, people arguing against Geno’s chances is just another chance to argue for them and expose them. Maybe you change somebody’s mind, maybe you learn something, who knows. Non-aggressive discussion isn’t something to be rejected. If you don’t want it to happen you can just not answer too.

Plus, Sora thread has gotten a few people stating Sora’s disconfirmed, so naturally they’re going to come to the source of the rumor. The Bandanna Dee thread has discussed the likelihood of Marx and Adeleine, and the Porky and Ninten threads debate how the other’s chances affect them. It’s not a raid on Geno, nor is it an exclusive phenomenon.

You might wanna spoiler tag that.

What are everyone's favorite video game music tracks?

Mine's the Grand Finale from M&L Bowser's Inside Story, Smiles and Tears from Earthbound, Goodbye Geno from Super Mario RPG, and Porky's Porkies and Porky's theme from Mother 3
If I had to choose one it’d probably be Trauma from Ghost Trick. Gives me the chills when I listen to it, and it’s kind of the point of the song.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Would it really be that unreasonable for people who unironically don't want Geno in the game/don't care if he's in to discuss leaks/other SE characters outside of the Geno support thread? I feel like a ****ing broken record at this point, but it's really annoying seeing the same back and forth everyday and feeling like this is multiple support threads in one.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
I am going to bed.

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I hope, though, you can get why I am a bit frustrated. Months and months of Geno being likely then unlikely then likely then unlikely and so on take a toll.

See my above post.
Apologies if I was condescending. But I hope you can understand I am very, very tired of seeing the same arguments against Geno literally every day. I have been advocating for the guy since August.
Fair enough, I'm willing to take up your word for now. I'm sure we all feel the same way especially because of how passionate we are for our respective picks.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
F

Fair enough, I'm willing to take up your word for now. I'm sure we all feel the same way especially because of how passionate we are for our respective picks.
Thank you. It's been a long day, so I hope you can understand why I was being rude earlier. Not an excuse though, just wanted to provide a reason.
Root for your picks like we do my friend. Hang in there.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
You have my vote Nekoo Nekoo I have nothing, but respect on how you speculate. I see we both try to find the most logical outcomes in situations, and you always bring interesting facts to the table. So if you are made in charge of a new thread I know you will do a great job!

For Geno moveset

neutral b - Geno beam
side b - Geno whirl
up b - launching himself with a cannon
down b - Geno boost
final smash - Geno blast or Geno flash

For DLC, I think they could add fighter spirits for the characters and call them, for example, Geno (fighter). This isn't a feature for characters in the base roster, but I think it could be a feature for the DLC characters

I really hope he can be in WoL, lol. I'm not sure if DLC will be added to WoL, but if they can make fighter spirits for characters with (fighter) after the characters' name, then I think they can be part of WoL
Interesting moveset, I can totally see this happening. I actually think DLC will get new spirits as we have seen with the Lets Go Pikachu and Evee spirits. That Spirits can be added after the game has been released. So theres definitely hope, hmmm as for DLC in World Of Light. Thats a tricky one, but this is the Ultimate game so its possible :).

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You have my vote Nekoo Nekoo I have nothing, but respect on how you speculate. I see we both try to find the most logical outcomes in situations, and you always bring interesting facts to the table. So if you are made in charge of a new thread I know you will do a great job!

Interesting moveset, I can totally see this happening. I actually think DLC will get new spirits as we have seen with the Lets Go Pikachu and Evee spirits. That Spirits can be added after the game has been released. So theres definitely hope, hmmm as for DLC in World Of Light. Thats a tricky one, but this is the Ultimate game so its possible :).
Oh yeah if we're doing this thread Nekoo's our guy. TPC is too busy nowadays for it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This is the Geno support thread, not the Geno and nobody else support thread. People can support Geno while also wanting other characters more.

Plus, people arguing against Geno’s chances is just another chance to argue for them and expose them. Maybe you change somebody’s mind, maybe you learn something, who knows. Non-aggressive discussion isn’t something to be rejected. If you don’t want it to happen you can just not answer too.

Plus, Sora thread has gotten a few people stating Sora’s disconfirmed, so naturally they’re going to come to the source of the rumor. The Bandanna Dee thread has discussed the likelihood of Marx and Adeleine, and the Porky and Ninten threads debate how the other’s chances affect them. It’s not a raid on Geno, nor is it an exclusive phenomenon.
But if people are so transparent in their biases against Geno and for other characters is it actually support? Spending 5 pages telling everyone why Sephiroth is more likely and then making one post asking people what SMRPG song they like is kind of disingenuous. What if, and hear me out here, most people here don't feel like debating about other SE characters/other characters in general and if they did they'd go to the general discussion thread? There are a couple conversations about other characters in character specific threads, but imo it hasn't overtaken the discussion like it has here. I'm not calling it a raid, but I and other people have pointed out that at a point it does end up feeling like some of these conversations would be better suited for a more general SE thread.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
For real though; feels like Squenix rep news comes out every day of the week. Mention me if some cool stuff happens during tomorrow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thank you :) Ever since August I have just been hungry for his reveal lol. It would be so cool to have a battle between him, Cloud, Crono, Sephiroth, and other SE characters

I think I will hit the hay. Good night everyone

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Not one to usually spend time thinking about movesets, but I always liked the idea of Geno Beam working as his B-special with a charged shot similar to R.O.B. or the Legacy XP Geno mod. Also Geno Whirl for his side special with a random chance of massive damage.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Would it feel weird to anyone else if Geno does get into the game and timed hits are not a part of his moveset whatsoever? I mean obviously I'd be hyped for him being in period but at this point timed hits have been the gimmick typically discussed with Geno that him being without them would be kind of odd. It's the sort of thing people have been mentioning for years when it's come to speculating on his playstyle.

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
Not one to usually spend time thinking about movesets, but I always liked the idea of Geno Beam working as his B-special with a charged shot similar to R.O.B. or the Legacy XP Geno mod. Also Geno Whirl for his side special with a random chance of massive damage.
I love Geno's Legacy XP moveset, it encapsulates the character perfectly.

Side note, most of you probably know this as fellow Geno fans, but did you know that Geno Beam is glitched in SMRPG? Holding Y does not actually boost its damage, but rather tapping it once like a timed hit. It's a really weird design oversight. https://www.mariowiki.com/Geno_Beam

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I am going to bed.

See my above post.
I have no idea whats going on, as I just hopped back on this thread. Luigi The President Luigi The President sorry if people are not respecting your character choice. I may not be Geno's biggest fan, however I have nothing, but respect for Geno fans. The fact Geno fans keep holding on after so many years of being denied is admirable and should be respected. Its a real shame Square does not pay more attention to Geno fans, and I hope for their sake he is in Ultimate. If he is not I hope for Geno fans sake Square will sell Geno and all related assets to Nintendo. Hopefully then Geno can get the love he deserves. Geno may not be my number one Square pick, but his fans have really made me realize how much I would want to see him in Smash too, if nothing else to see them happy. Also my friend don't beat yourself up, Im sure if my number one character had been denied for months by seemingly everyone, I would be easily annoyed too.

Also how exiting is it that Smash is only 3 days away and The Game Awards is only 2 days away, and theres rumors we will get a new Avengers trailer this week. In reality we have a lot to look forward to.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If we are talking about moveset potential for Geno. I honestly see them going for a Sheik/Robin hybrid. It's the style that I think best suites his personality. He'd have the power and weight of Mewtwo to go with it.

I think Geno Boost should be a big part of his moveset where it is treated like Cloud's limit. It charges extremely fast and you get one powerful special to use it on. That way the whole charge feature is not just used on Geno Beam. He would be a projectile like Cloud. Once limit is full, his Down B goes from Geno Boost to Geno Blast but he can also use Geno Whirl or Geno Beam with it. His recovery isn't changed. I don't have an idea for it but I like the cannon one from Project M so let's go with that.

So to clarify, his specials are pretty straight forward:

Geno Beam - Neutral Special
Geno Whirl - Side Special
Geno Boost/Geno Blast - Down Special
Unnamed Canon Shot - Up Special

Final Smash - Geno Flash

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Thank you. It's been a long day, so I hope you can understand why I was being rude earlier. Not an excuse though, just wanted to provide a reason.
Root for your picks like we do my friend. Hang in there.
Good night. I hope we didn't upset you in any way by sharing our thoughts on the SE character, and I wish the best of luck to all of us for the character we want. No matter who is chosen though, it'll still be a great game that we'll all enjoy

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I love Geno's Legacy XP moveset, it encapsulates the character perfectly.

Side note, most of you probably know this as fellow Geno fans, but did you know that Geno Beam is glitched in SMRPG? Holding Y does not actually boost its damage, but rather tapping it once like a timed hit. It's a really weird design oversight. https://www.mariowiki.com/Geno_Beam
This **** pissed me off so much as a kid when I realized why I didn't seem to be doing extra damage.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling Sakurai would really play up the timed hit mechanic from SMRPG. I imagine it like a combination of Incineroar's side-B and Marth's tipper. There would be a small input window that would give you bonus damage / knockback if you time the hit properly. Geno Whirl would work similarly to Cpt. Falcon's knee, except instead of an incredibly small hitbox it would be a 1 frame input window. I see Geno as a skill intensive character because he would be one of the lighter, faster characters but rely heavily on precision.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Random?

Nah, it needs to be timed, because that’s the whole point of the character. Obviously in that case it can’t be some massive Rest-level hit since having that as a projectile would be far too overpowered, but it should definitely do a sizable amount for a perfect hit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, I may have lied about going to bed, but I promise this is my last post for the night lol.

I can't believe I have been here for 200 pages

I joined less than a month ago, but look at how far we have come, 15 pages and we hit another huge milestone

I love Smash Bros

I love Super Mario RPG

And most importantly

I love Geno, and I hope he makes his big return

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom