• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Seems like the endgame is really turning out to be Geno vs. Chrono.

I’ve seen a couple people here that would be happy “conceding” to Chrono for various reasons, and... it really kind of annoys me. Chrono, whole certainly not being as bad as “generic DQ protagonist”, still has a host of issues.

On a scale of 1-10 when it comes to “obscurity”, I’d put Cloud at a 7-8, Geno at a 2-3, and Chrono at about a 4-5. These last few years haven’t been too kind to Chrono’s popularity, especially with his game not being on the SNES Classic. He’s just had some mobile ports and a PC port that started out as absolute trash before later getting updated.

But the big thing that sets Geno apart despite his obscurity is, well, how many people want him in Smash. He has an incredibly notable following to the point where many, many people who’ve never even played his original game either want or even flat-out expect him. Chrono, on the other hand, flat-out doesn’t show up on any polls.

Like... I’m not saying that he wouldn’t be relatively well-received, since he certainly would be, but... like, it’d set a weird precedent to have the first character of the pass be another anime swordsman that certainly has some general popularity behind him... yet one that nobody particularly wanted in Smash. It’d feel more like Nintendo is just marketing more towards general audiences and not Smash players specifically, which would be quite disappointing, especially with all the “investment” talk during the Direct.

I’d only be happy with Chrono if we also get Geno, and won’t “concede” anything.
Honestly; Chrono would be the only SE rep currently that I'd feel at least okay with taking Geno's place cause he very much also deserves a spot in his own right.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Crono has the same issues as Dragon Quest, being designed and owned by Akira Toriyama but wouldn't have the same incentive to add as Dragon Quest characters since his series is dead and has been dead for a while.

Retro18

Smash Rookie
I'm going to be in the Star Road discord server that many of you are on. If you aren't in it, just DM me on Discord, my username is on my profile. I got some things happening.
Can anyone send me the invite link to the discord? I tried to go on PP's profile but too many people visited it. My Discord is in my profile

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be in the Star Road discord server that many of you are on. If you aren't in it, just DM me on Discord, my username is on my profile. I got some things happening.
I'm confused. Is it the PapaGenos server or a different one?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
A Style Savvy character?....ok you know what? I accepted Corrin and Bayo, I’m accepting PP (who looks fun) and I could certainly accept Steve who I do not want in but a ****ing STYLE SAVVY CHARCATER?!?!
LITERALLY WHO WOULD WANT THAT?!

EDIT: Oh wait never mind, that was several pages ago

The mere fact that Geno and Mallow were allowed Spirits in the game and no other FF/SE characters were makes me feel that Square Enix has a neutral view on their SMRPG characters.

They don’t care if they’re used but they also don’t care to use them because they know they’re obscure and won’t sell so they don’t matter to them either way which could mean they’re the cheapest SE characters to use?

Thoughts?

Also, I’m starting up my first SMRPG playthrough! Hope it’s fun.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
More people looking for the Discord? Guess that's my cue.

The list itself is very important, but it's a shame that it was put out so fast. I mean, even /v/ decided to stop and take a look. Either way, it's known and there's no way to take that back. At the same time, we're really in the same spot we were before. A list of names, nothing of major substance yet. Speculation is wild, though.

D

Deleted member

A Style Savvy character?....ok you know what? I accepted Corrin and Bayo, I’m accepting PP (who looks fun) and I could certainly accept Steve who I do not want in but a ****ing STYLE SAVVY CHARCATER?!?!

The mere fact that Geno and Mallow were allowed Spirits in the game and no other FF/SE characters were makes me feel that Square Enix has a neutral view on their SMRPG characters.

They don’t care if they’re used but they also don’t care to use them because they know they’re obscure and won’t sell so they don’t matter to them either way which could mean they’re the cheapest SE characters to use?

Thoughts?

Cloud has two spirits, and considering that Square Enix pretty much only gives Sakurai and Nintendo something unless they are being payed for it, Geno is really likely to be DLC, as well as Mallow being at least a Mii costume

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Wow, damn, guys! I can't keep up with the new pages! Keep up those high spirits!
I wanted to answer and ask some things but the topic just flew away some pages ago, lol!
I even am not up to date with the last pages (you know, work tomorrow :/) so I'll leave my post here. I'm sorry if they're already answered.
First,
im pretty sure being anti lgbt and denying japanese war crimes is something more than just "polticial opinions"

if i was a company, id want nothing to do with someone like that because itd be an absolute nightmare in terms of reaction, especially as a family friendly company like nintendo
Considering that Nintendo likes to keep a polished image of itself, it would do more harm than good if it associates with such a jerk. And given that Nintendo's stocks fluctuate more than the sine function, and that image-keeping companies take serious hits at their stocks when their image gets dirtied, it would be kind of a risky move in a business point of view.
Look at all those Gokus! :upsidedown:
Lol, that happens a lot with me with Toriyama's drawings. I don't know if he only draws one kind of character, or I'm that bad into differenciating them, but I see just Dragon Ball characters in all his works :p

Now, some things that have crossed my mind while I was reading:
- First, I don't think slime would be in. As popular as it is, it's still a, well, a slime lol. You can't use the argument that Piranha buddy is in, because it's almost sure that Sakurai included him?/her? for the shock effect, and how groundbreaking the reaction would be as a joke character. But that doesn't mean that he decided to include mooks into the game. Worse of all, at DQ fans eyes it can be an iconic character, but at not-fans eyes, a slime in a generic term, is the first mook encountered, so the weakest of all.

- I have a hard time swallowing that DQ is in. I mean, the strongest argument is that Squeenix wants to promote its game for the Switch. If that's the case, then they would have allowed tons of spirits into the base game. Considering that Smash is basically "ads: the game", it was the perfect chance for people to learn about characters, items, lore and environment of DQ before buying the Switch game. Now that we know that there are no spirits, and SE only allowed Cloud and Geno/Mallow, now they want to promote their game? By asking money from Nintendo? Marketing is a business move, and a high investment/high reward one. We know that Squeenix would earn more than Nintendo from sales of DQ11, so if it was the case, they would be more lenient into advertisement since they would profit more.

- The last one is a question that stroke my mind awfully, lol. Since we have somehow seen some fanmade theories with Geno and Rosalina, if they decided to develop a background for our boi, who would be in charge of that? Nintendo or SE?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There are 5 sources who have heard Geno's name. Just a bit of an update. Multiple believe he is a red herring.
So wouldn't this put Geno on equal footing with the others though? Yesterday people were saying Sephiroth and the DQ characters were the ones most heard about and Geno was called the red herring because he wasn't heard by as many. I feel like this is goal post moving. What's weirder is that even Hitagi has now expressed doubt about the DQ characters in the last day despite basically being the original person championing them. This also doesn't change that Geno is already in the game and liscensing is done and over with. We have no evidence that this has been done with anyone else yet.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Hey y'all, is it okay to be like legitimately disappointed and a little angry if this Square rep is a DQ rep? LIke, Sakurai would go through so much just to get a character that literally no one's asking for and some people don't even know, especially over someone like Geno, who has been requested for a long very time and even Sakurai himself wanted. It's hard to fathom them picking DQ, especially if it's Nintendo themselves that do so.

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Hey y'all, is it okay to be like legitimately disappointed and a little angry if this Square rep is a DQ rep? LIke, Sakurai would go through so much just to get a character that literally no one's asking for and some people don't even know, especially over someone like Geno, who has been requested for a long very time and even Sakurai himself wanted. It's hard to fathom them picking DQ, especially if it's Nintendo themselves that do so.
You can be if you want, but at the end of the day money talks. There's big issues with all of the characters on the list other than Geno, but Geno also likely presents vastly inferior possible profits. If there's one thing that motivates people to walk through legal hell, it's cold hard cash. So I wouldn't be too stunned to see a Dragon Quest character even considering how convoluted it would be to get one. Geno is someone who, perhaps fittingly, always feels more like a wish I'm hoping that they grant. I've wanted him for a long time, but you won't catch me expecting him to be in until the day I see confirmation of it.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Does it really make sense to have a beloved character like Geno be thrown around intentionally as a red herring?

That's like fake leaking that K. Rool is in in order to hide Tiny Kong. That's just shooting yourself in the foot for when the real news comes out

D

Deleted member

You can be if you want, but at the end of the day money talks. There's big issues with all of the characters on the list other than Geno, but Geno also likely presents vastly inferior possible profits. If there's one thing that motivates people to walk through legal hell, it's cold hard cash. So I wouldn't be too stunned to see a Dragon Quest character even considering how convoluted it would be to get one. Geno is someone who, perhaps fittingly, always feels more like a wish I'm hoping that they grant. I've wanted him for a long time, but you won't catch me expecting him to be in until the day I see confirmation of it.
Literally the only thing going for DQ is that it is popular in Japan. No one wants a DQ character in Smash, and Geno is one of the most requested characters for Smash. Geno would undoubtedly make money money than a DQ character. DQ isn't at all popular in any place other than Japan, and the Smash Ultimate DLC targets the people who buy Smash, and that is the Smash community. No one outside the Smash community cares about who gets in, meaning that the character who gets in only matters to the Smash community. So tell me, who would make more money, either an amine swordsman or generic enemy that no one wants, or a puppet with a gun, possessed by a star that can fire beams, blasts, flashes, and whirls? Exactly. People who know about Geno will buy him due to how popular he is in the Smash community, and people who don't know about him will want to find out who he is, meaning that they will buy the SNES Classic and Super Mario RPG, meaning more money for Nintendo, and that isn't to mention the he could advertise a potential remake or sequel of Super Mario RPG, or Super Mario RPG on a potential SNES online

Add in: A DQ character brings nothing new to the roster, hardly anyone who doesn't know about DQ is going to be interested by one or really care where they originated from

Another add in: There was a recent fan poll for which characters people wanted in Smash, and the top 50 characters who made the poll were counted. There wasn't a single DQ character who made top 50. This was after the Square Enix rep rumor, after LeakyPandy and Hitagi "leaked" a DQ character, after the base roster was complete, with numerous characters on the poll being deconfirmed, and no DQ character made the poll.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Literally the only thing going for DQ is that it is popular in Japan. No one wants a DQ character in Smash, and Geno is one of the most requested characters for Smash. Geno would undoubtedly make money money than a DQ character. DQ isn't at all popular in any place other than Japan, and the Smash Ultimate DLC targets the people who buy Smash, and that is the Smash community. No one outside the Smash community cares about who gets in, meaning that the character who gets in only matters to the Smash community. So tell me, who would make more money, either an amine swordsman or generic enemy that no one wants, or a puppet with a gun, possessed by a star that can fire beams, blasts, flashes, and whirls? Exactly. People who know about Geno will buy him due to how popular he is in the Smash community, and people who don't know about him will want to find out who he is, meaning that they will buy the SNES Classic and Super Mario RPG, meaning more money for Nintendo, and that isn't to mention the he could advertise a potential remake or sequel of Super Mario RPG, or Super Mario RPG on a potential SNES online

Add in: A DQ character brings nothing new to the roster, hardly anyone who doesn't know about DQ is going to be interested by one or really care where they originated from
It's not popular outside of Japan, but they might figure that being in Smash could make it so. The series has done that before, to an astonishing degree. Fire Emblem was introduced to us through Melee and given some time, turned into a giant over here.

So I'm thinking even if Geno were to sell more DLC than [choice Dragon Quest character], they would likely still view him as less profitable. Yeah, to your point about which would make more money for Nintendo specifically... maybe Geno makes more for them. Dragon Quest is out there already on non-Nintendo consoles. But it takes two to tango, and Square is gonna do what is good for Square while Nintendo is likely going to be at least a little accommodating as they're the ones looking to get something here.

Don't take this as me saying I think DQ is more likely. The legal hell it's trapped in is certainly extensive. Geno would be a relatively effortless addition, and would be able to safely bring plenty of content with him, which Nintendo may pine for after being stiffed over FFVII content. I certainly agree with you to the ends of the earth and back that Geno would be more interesting than anything that series has to offer. But, as they say, happiness is reality minus expectations. I'd LOVE Geno to be in, but I think failing to look at it critically and convincing myself he's a slam dunk is just setting myself up for misery if he's not.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
It's not popular outside of Japan, but they might figure that being in Smash could make it so. The series has done that before, to an astonishing degree. Fire Emblem was introduced to us through Melee and given some time, turned into a giant over here.

So I'm thinking even if Geno were to sell more DLC than [choice Dragon Quest character], they would likely still view him as less profitable. Yeah, to your point about which would make more money for Nintendo specifically... maybe Geno makes more for them. Dragon Quest is out there already on non-Nintendo consoles. But it takes two to tango, and Square is gonna do what is good for Square while Nintendo is likely going to be at least a little accommodating as they're the ones looking to get something here.

Don't take this as me saying I think DQ is more likely. The legal hell it's trapped in is certainly extensive. Geno would be a relatively effortless addition, and would be able to safely bring plenty of content with him, which Nintendo may pine for after being stiffed over FFVII content. I certainly agree with you to the ends of the earth and back that Geno would be more interesting than anything that series has to offer. But, as they say, happiness is reality minus expectations. I'd LOVE Geno to be in, but I think failing to look at it critically and convincing myself he's a slam dunk is just setting myself up for misery if he's not.
i think the difference is fire emblem wasnt really a thing in the west in terms of releases, but dragon quest releases still happen

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I feel like all of the new characters who got into Ultimate deserve to be there, but man I really feel like Sakurai should have put Geno in the base roster. Of course he's still a major DLC candidate, but his chances were a lot better then. As an obscure RPG character, it just makes less sense to sell him as DLC because he's not a super iconic character that would make everyone (meaning the entire Smash Bros audience) run and buy his DLC like some other characters.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, it just occurred to me. We were talking yesterday about Erdrick and the Luminary as some sort of combined fighter. Perhaps it's just simply a Simon and Richter thing and Luminary is an echo fighter for Erdrick. I'm with KCCHIEFS27 though, that'd be a pretty cynical move to use Geno, a massively requested character, as a decoy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree with your point about wanting to introduce Dragon Quest to the west, but it honestly would have been better in the base roster. For SE though, with all the companies involved in getting a DQ character, SE would actually make more money off of Geno, due to him only being owned by Square Enix. Sakurai said that the added Richter to Smash to introduce him to the west. However, he was an echo, making him an easy character to develop, and he was added in the base roster, so DLC is not a good way to add a DQ character if it is solely to make him recognizable in the west. This is were Geno is the best. All third party characters have global appeal or global demand, maybe even both. DQ has neither, but Geno has both. Super Mario RPG is popular in the east and the west. For Smash, Geno is top 5 in the west, and he may not be that highly requested in other regions, but he still makes top 20 in other regions, meaning that adding him would not be bias to the west or east

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Thoughts?

Three problems:

-If true, there would have been literally no reason for Square to turn down Sakurai for Geno in Brawl, even if just for a sticker or trophy.

-If true, Geno's Mii costume would have never been PAID DLC in Smash 4.

-If true, SMRPG wouldn't have been rereleased 3 times in the last 10 years because of fan demand.

MattX20

Smash Hero

The one main problem with that arguement is that Fire Emblem was owned by Nintendo and is still is when Melee was in development. They had no financial risks of including Marth and Roy then. 3rd party characters however cost more money to acquire the rights to make them, and thus they have to be more selective.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The way I see it is like this: Geno being in Smash would also bring more potential value for Square. It could easily bring more interest for more use of the IP, which is always a plus. The SMRPG IP is just kinda collecting dust right now. If Nintendo wants to use the character's in spinoff games due to the increase in widespread recognition, Square would greatly appreciate the royalties they would get from Nintendo requesting the character. And if it all ends with Nintendo paying to have the character's back full time, that's just the icing on the cake for Square, as they have no use for the character's outside of Nintendo.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
The one main problem with that arguement is that Fire Emblem was owned by Nintendo and is still is when Melee was in development. They had no financial risks of including Marth and Roy then. 3rd party characters however cost more money to acquire the rights to make them, and thus they have to be more selective.
Being a total of five rights holders at that as well.

D

Deleted member

I feel like all of the new characters who got into Ultimate deserve to be there, but man I really feel like Sakurai should have put Geno in the base roster. Of course he's still a major DLC candidate, but his chances were a lot better then. As an obscure RPG character, it just makes less sense to sell him as DLC because he's not a super iconic character that would make everyone (meaning the entire Smash Bros audience) run and buy his DLC like some other characters.
We have gone over many times why this "obscurity argument" is silly. Square Enix always prefer their character in any game to be DLC, and Geno is just the perfect candidate to make a lot of money for Nintendo and Square Enix. Geno is popular in the east and the west, adding him would not be bias to the west or east, adding him would promote the SNES Classic and Super Mario RPG, and he could promote a potential remake or sequel of Super Mario RPG, or Super Mario RPG on a potential SNES online. He is very well known in Smash community, and the people who don't know about him will want to find out where he came from.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nothing new.
BTW my brand ambassador told me he's heard NOTHING on DQ in Smash. He told me he never asked, though, but that he will tomorrow.
Chances are that going by everything we've learned, he will probably say there is nothing DQ related tomorrow. The fact no spirits or any DQ content was found in Ultimate, not even through datamining, is proof of that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, on the topic of advertising for the sake of another company... Literally why? Fire Emblem makes sense because they own it. Intelligent Systems is a second party. Nintendo doesn't own Dragon Quest so it's not their responsibility to make it more popular. It's such a gollywhump of a statement because it makes Nintendo the one doing all the work for someone else in the end. Dragon Quest could go back to being a Japanese exclusive and still sell millions of copies. Fire Emblem was a series that was a crawling, wheezing, and anemic going into Awakening. It was never super popular until then.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem

Even if Dragon Quest underperforms in the West, it's not Nintendo's responsibility which is why that argument is flawed. Dollars to donuts, DQ XI S will probably outsell DQ XI's total global sales in Japan alone. It's not a series that needs help and would honestly probably make more money if it went back to being a Japanese exclusive.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
We have gone over many times why this "obscurity argument" is silly. Square Enix always prefer their character in any game to be DLC, and Geno is just the perfect candidate to make a lot of money for Nintendo and Square Enix. Geno is popular in the east and the west, adding him would not be bias to the west or east, adding him would promote the SNES Classic and Super Mario RPG, and he could promote a potential remake or sequel of Super Mario RPG, or Super Mario RPG on a potential SNES online. He is very well known in Smash community, and the people who don't know about him will want to find out where he came from.
The obscurity argument is silly when discussing the base roster, but it is not for DLC. Any character can join the Smash base roster and there'd be no problem because they come included with the game alongside everyone else. However, imagine how DLC sales would be for super obscure characters like Game and Watch or someone like Wii Fit Trainer. If Nintendo plans on profiting off DLC, it seems more likely that they are going to choose characters that will grab people's attention and make them want to buy it. Cloud is the perfect example. Yes, Geno is popular, but Smash Bros' audience covers millions of people, people of all ages. If they put Geno up as DLC, not everyone is going to be like "OMG OMG OMG" like they were for other past DLC characters. Outside of Geno fans, the reaction to him as DLC would either be "oh cool they put him in" or "who the hell is that?".

If you look back at Smash 4's DLC, each character is one that would drive sales through the roof. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were probably easy to implement and cheaper to put up as DLC because they are already established Smash characters. Ryu and Cloud are gaming icons and obvious picks for DLC in terms of making a lot of money. Corrin was just an advertisement, and Bayonetta supposedly won the ballot.

All in all, I just think it would have made more sense to add Geno for base roster. When making DLC, the goal is money so you have to appeal to a wide audience. Smash 4's DLC characters did that (with the exception of Corrin). Geno may appeal to us, he may appeal to the hardcore Smash community, but that's not the entire audience of the series.

domriver

Smash Lord
There are 5 sources who have heard Geno's name. Just a bit of an update. Multiple believe he is a red herring.
You know kinda makes me want to think that if Geno was a no-go right from the start Sakurai would have mentioned it in some way OR the list would not even have Geno in there to begin with. I dont know.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking about the logic behind trying to "leakbait" Geno.

Coroporate Guy: "Hey! We have to get ahead of the leaks! Tell them it's Geno, a super popular heavily requested character! THEN, we can give them Erdrick, someone nobody ever asked for!!" *strokes mustache*

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
You know kinda makes me want to think that if Geno was a no-go right from the start Sakurai would have mentioned it in some way OR the list would not even have Geno in there to begin with. I dont know.
If his name is going around in any form (even being considered a 'red herring') then he's not out of the picture.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
I honesty would feel the same so you are not alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom