• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Not to bore you all with constant updates with my first play through, but just got to Nimbus Castle, and man this game is just so creative. Honestly, it rivals Thousand Year Door and Superstar Saga. Can't believe I never played it before, but glad I get to experience it for the first time.

Also, having a party with Peach and Geno is the only way to go (sorry Bowser and Mallow)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Let's change things up a little guys.

What is your favorite color and how old were you when you first played SMRPG?

I have a theory that the color of a character had a lot of influence as to who people liked as a child.

My favorite color is blue and I was 7 when the game was released and when I played SMRPG.
My favorite color's also blue - which probably plays into why Geno stuck out in my mind so much, now that I think about it - and I reckon I was about 9 when I first played SMRPG on the Wii Virtual Console, making it I believe the first proper RPG I ever played through. (Even if I did latch onto Pokemon first.) I don't really have a special story about the game other than that it was Chris Niosi's Super Mario RPG video that first tipped me off to the game and chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of the game that convinced me to try it out, but it did introduce me to what would become my favorite genre of game, so that counts for something, right?
Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't kind of wish I'd discovered the marvel known as Super Mario Guy RPG when I was a kid...

grizby2

Smash Lord
Unless Polar Panda greenlights me, I can't say what but the jist of it would be by far the most amount of work put into a single third party character in the entire Smash series and I just can't see Nintendo doing it, especially with Square being a total dragass with this game.
heh. makes me think it would be Lightening from FF XIII. japan ADORES Lightening....:rolleyes:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
My favorite color is green/blue.
I first discovered SMRPG back in 2014 when PBG talked about it. It looked interesting and i actually tried it out in 2015, but sadly i couldn't progress: i had little to no rpg experience (i only played Pokemon Leafgreen up to that point).

Skip to this year, after i got into rpgs some more and finally tried out SMRPG. The characters and world really caught my attention and the gameplay was great. I finally realised what people saw in Geno and he has become my most wanted.

Last edited:

astralAenigma

Smash Rookie
Let's change things up a little guys.

What is your favorite color and how old were you when you first played SMRPG?

I have a theory that the color of a character had a lot of influence as to who people liked as a child.

My favorite color is blue and I was 7 when the game was released and when I played SMRPG.
Okay, so let's do this!

My favorite color was yellow when I was a child, but it grew up to be either blue or green.
Since I was a child, and despite living in Europe, SMRPG has always been a very special game to me. When I was 8-9, I used to go to my dad's computer to watch some Mario related videos on Youtube, especially bloopers. It was in English, I understood absolutely nothing, but still, I found those very funny! In some of them, I came across several extracts taken from SMRPG, and... that game has been puzzling me. I didn't know it at all. I already was a Mario fan at the time, so I thought I knew about every released Mario game. And I didn't manage to learn what its name was back then...

When I was around 9 or 10, I came across SMRPG in the Wii Shop on VC. I recognized the graphics immediately and bought it right after. But... Yeah, English only. I managed to go to Mushroom Kingdom, but that was it. And... Don't ask me why, but I was scared of Mallow? I decided to stop there and replay to it when I was older.

The years went by, and since this little experiment, I've played every Mario RPGs I could play to, so the Mario&Luigi and Paper Mario series (well, until Sticker Star happened). It was nearly Christmas, and I was 14 at this point. I just finished Super Paper Mario for the 3rd time, and as I was looking for some cool fanarts, I came across a Jester fanart alongside Dimentio. I didn't know where this other character came from, so with a little research, I've found it was from SMRPG. This game. This game. I have to play it, now.

And so I did. I turned on my Wii and selected the SMRPG channel. I had very blurry memories of my last attempt at playing to it, so I didn't remember at all the introduction. And, without having heard about him once, when the character "Geno" was presented on screen, I immediately thought: "Oh wow this character looks reaaaaally cool!"

Well... I still think he is. He soon became my favorite video game character of all time, so... Yeah. I think I can say I fell in love with him and his universe. Of course, I did a lot of researches about him. Found out he had a great and dedicated fanbase, with a lot of fan products.

And here I am today.

The story goes on: I've got introduced to some roleplay in the Mario Universe, and playing as Geno got me even more attached to him. This led me to meet many important people in my life today, like my actual girlfriend for example haha. She didn't know about Geno before I met her, but as I spread the word for Geno among all my relatives, she somehow began to love him as much as I do! :'D

Geno became such an important part of my life, I couldn't really describe how except what I've just written. Everyday, I hope for his return in any video game while hugging his hat (made by my grandmother!).

I am convinced this is Geno time, now. This is his time to finally shine again. So everyone, keep up with the support! I know I don't post a lot here, but it doesn't mean I am not invested in Geno's support.

Good luck everyone, and never give up!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will say, I think I understand why there is a surprising amount of people who have either never played the game or have only played it very recently, me included. Or, I have at least a theory about it. For the younger generations, they are not as likely to see something like SMRPG as dated graphic or mechanic wise due to the fact that retro style games have become such a common thing nowadays. The look and feel of games like SMRPG are no longer looked at as being dated and more like they have the "retro" style.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys this came from my bros over at the Isaac thread and I want to ask what you geno bros think of it? If it comes true it’s good news for geno!
Guys I crack the code.

Wave 1 will have Isaac, Geno, Chorus Kid and Banjo--Kazooie.

That's why Nintendo tried to shut down the Grinch leak, because it predicted accuratly a bunch of characters.

Sakurai said himself that the roster was finish really early on. + he kept a spot for a pokemon rep. So Isaac AT was made in 2016.

That's why the costume is looking better then the AT, they start working on Isaac before the Rathalos tweet and import is new model on the costume. Thus would explain why we got the trademark for RH and GS. RH and GS are the 2 most represented series in Smash whitout a character.

They had to give the characters designer some work to do when base game characters were done.

Why did we got Weyard and Felix theme but not Isaac theme in Ultimate? Because Isaac theme is getting remix exclusively for Isaac reveal.

Next why did Papa Geno source claim to have heard about a bunch of characters on the Grinch leak? Because a bunch of them were in wave 1.

Why was Isaac AT reveal so late? Because Sakurai thought that the fan would guess Isaac for DLC, or be really made if he was missing, so he hesitate a lot to show him.

If we get ether of these 4 reveal early on, it will look really good for the other characters.

Edit: Now we know that AT can be togle off on some stages, so if someone is playing Isaac, is AT will be off.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would like to point how we just spent well over a full page discussing our SMRPG experiences as well as our favorite colors. And all over a single night(From my timezone perspective). I find that rather heartwarming.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I would like to point how we just spent well over a full page discussing our SMRPG experiences as well as our favorite colors. And all over a single night(From my timezone perspective). I find that rather heartwarming.
Indeed , quite hearthwarming.

It's amazing that a simple blue puppet is why we're all here.
It truly show that life can be more simple sometimes , sharing experiences about SMRPG or just talking about it ... Not worrying or thinking about anything else , just for a moment.

Man I hope Geno is going to be in Smash , SMRPG deserve to be more popular.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
heh. makes me think it would be Lightening from FF XIII. japan ADORES Lightening....:rolleyes:
Samus fans grumble about how she's handled in Smash and Other M, but at least she didn't have the integrity of her character completely destroyed for the sake of story and merchandising like Lightning was.

Hey guys this came from my bros over at the Isaac thread and I want to ask what you geno bros think of it? If it comes true it’s good news for geno!
I'll take it with a grain of salt, it seems too good to be true. Anyone can say text leak stuff.

Also, "Guys I crack the code" is poor grammar.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Samus fans grumble about how she's handled in Smash and Other M, but at least she didn't have the integrity of her character completely destroyed for the sake of story and merchandising like Lightning was.
Also, Samus has steadily returned to her previous state of characterization. I imagine that Prime 4 will assist with that even more.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'll throw my hat in to the ring of Super Mario RPG experiences.

I was all about the Virtual Console on Wii. My earliest forays on the internet were marked by me visiting what was VCReviews.com (I believe that's what it was called before things merged into Nintendo Life?) to hear the latest news and play the old classics. Part of this had been influenced, of course, by my interactions with the Super Smash Bros series. I had started playing Melee in 2005/2006 when I got a Gamecube for Christmas, and after admittedly not completely comprehending how to properly play early on, I absolutely became enthralled with the game.

I had been playing Nintendo ever since I was old enough to practically hold a controller. Super Mario Bros is the first game I can remember playing/watching my baby-sitter as a kid play on the original NES (My early, early childhood memory is admittedly a bit fuzzy). So, you can say that I was sort of initiated in to the tradition of Nintendo from an early age. The likes of Duck Hunt and Pac-Man were also pretty present, and those three games pretty much color the earliest parts of my childhood (So if anyone ever suggests cutting Pac-Man and/or Duck Hunt, you're probably going to receive my spite on that issue). My first console was a Gameboy Advance, and I probably played more of Super Mario Bros Deluxe and Pokemon Blue than anything else starting out.

So, Super Smash Bros Melee sort of kindled an expanded interest in all things Nintendo. As I said, I had been raised on classics, so I had to figure out where all of these characters came from and if their games were any good. I just remember spending hours online looking through Wikis and the more bare-bones chat boards for the Gamecube-Wii era. I loved learning about Nintendo games. And oh boy, when Brawl was announced and the Dojo was up, there was no experience like it.

Around the same time, I became aware of Super Mario RPG. With the list of classic Nintendo games on the VC filling out, people started to notice a couple of holes in the lineup. One of the big ones that seemed to get mentioned everywhere I went was Super Mario RPG. That led me to look up the game, and I was completely enthralled by the way it looked. As I said, I was a big fan of Mario when I was younger, and for whatever reason I hadn't taken to Paper Mario at the time. But Super Mario RPG looked amazing, and in my own way I tried to support the notion of Super Mario RPG on the Virtual Console as often as possible (Probably to the point of annoyance, I was like 11 at the time and on the internet). I waited weekly to find out if we were getting Super Mario RPG, and remember constantly being disappointed. I didn't have a SNES at the time, and back then pre-VC release Super Mario RPG was a fortune anyways, so I couldn't play it otherwise. All my hopes and dreams rested upon the Wii Virtual Console release of this game.

And then, it finally happened. The game was released in Japan on the VC, and I went ballistic. Sure, I didn't have the game yet, but it was happening. I just had to wait until it finally came to the States. I remember that almost 3 month interval between release in Japan and the States was super agonizing, and even more when Europe got it a week or so before us since then I knew an English translation existed and had been officially released. It was time that I finally got to play this game I had fallen in love with from afar.

So September 1, 2008 rolls around and I'm terribly excited for the game. I had $20 set aside for a Wii Points Card for the longest time, and I'm sure I eagerly anticipated us going to Walmart so I could pick one up and use it to download the game. And I just played the game all that night and for the immediate future.

I think it took me like a month to beat the game. I had never beaten any RPG other than Pokemon at the time, so it took some getting used to, but as we all know, Super Mario RPG is the perfect RPG for just that. I loved just running around the world and exploring, maximizing all my stats and finding everything I could. The art style, for whatever reason, just completely drew me in and always had. Playing it was even better. I loved being able to see enemies before I ran into them after years of being super frustrated with Pokemon and the random encounter battles. The animations of things like the save mechanic, the Nintendo cameos, I absolutely fell in love with this game.

As for how I played? I pretty much ditched Mallow the first chance I got. I just didn't like him as much as the rest of the lineup. Geno was super cool and had some good opportunities for stuff as far as I remember. I definitely abused the Geno Whirl for Exor though. He was a pretty consistent member of my party until the end of the game. At that point, a fully equipped Mario, Bowser, and Peach comprised the actual lineup that I used to beat Smithy. I remember fighting so hard to finish that boss battle and the feelings of pure joy when I finally achieved it.

Simply put, I fell in love with Super Mario RPG and it remains one of my favorite games to this day. I've never replayed it, in part because I rarely replay games that aren't the original Super Mario Bros with so much out there. I sorely need to though. Geno in Smash never even occurred to me for the longest time, however, as I thought it was a small miracle that I'd ever even been given the chance to play a Square game on the Wii VC at the time. That was my personal victory when I was younger, and not much was going to top that.

When I came to SmashBoards, I threw my hat in for supporting Geno (This was post-Robin reveal for Smash 4), but I didn't seriously consider him at the time. He seemed super cool to have in Smash, but I was also a much bigger supporter of the big three of that game (Ridley, King K. Rool, and Mewtwo) and again, he seemed pretty unlikely for Smash 4. Then Cloud happened alongside the Geno costume, and that definitely lit a fire under my Geno support coming into this game.

I really do think, as far as requested characters go in the community, Geno should absolutely be the next character from everything I've seen and heard. There's a reason he is my current most requested character, and was number three on my list after Ridley and King K. Rool prior to this game's official blowout at E3. I want Super Mario RPG representation in Smash. Geno seems the best way to do that, but I'd take anything more legitimate than the painful little portion we have seen so far.

I may not always agree with this thread on their appraisals of Geno's chances or his importance as a character, but I am certainly with you when it comes to loving him as a character and loving Super Mario RPG as a whole. And I will continue to support him until he's in Smash or Square gives up on us again (Which I fear is sooner rather than later). Geno's just ridiculously cool as a character concept and always has been. Trust me, I'm as irritated as anyone when people deny that part of his character. It seems I'm a bit of a Geno centrist in some regards haha, but I do love and support him.

As for my favorite color? Purple, then orange.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay, this is getting to the point of absolute insanity... I have discovered that the rights to Erdrick are behind 4 COMPANIES.

-Square Enix has his assets
-Armor Project owns the assets
-Bird Studio/Akira Toriyama owns the actual character
-Newcomer: Heart Beat (a defunct company) still has legal rights to him on paper because they developed the Super Nintendo remake of Dragon Quest III that his most modern design comes from.

https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero

Bring Sugiyama into the mix for the music and that brings us to FIVE separate entities that would need to be negotiated with to make Erdrick DLC possible. It doesn't help that both Sugiyama and Toriyama are notoriously hard to work with either. Once again, a friendly reminder that this character's fan demand is surpassed by the most common enemy in Dragon Quest and even Slime doesn't crack top 20 in Japanese polls for wanted Smash characters. Just for the sake of continuing to beat a dead horse with a tire iron, his game hasn't been released on a Nintendo platform since 2011 as a Japanese exclusive and hasn't been released on a Nintendo platform outside Japan since freakin' 2001 with the Gameboy Color and was just in North America.

This character specifically would require working with more companies and entities THAN THE ENTIRE THIRD PARTY LINE UP ALREADY IN THE GAME. If Sora was a hard no despite having international appeal and being decently wanted, I don't see how they could justify this, especially when Sakurai in his latest interview talked about how perfect cooperation is key even for properties Nintendo owns and how every Smash game is basically a miracle because of this. I... Just... *trembles while staring at clenching fists*

Last edited:

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
Okay, this is getting to the point of absolute insanity... I have discovered that the rights to Erdrick are behind 4 COMPANIES.

-Newcomer: Heart Beat (a defunct company) still has legal rights to him on paper because they developed the Super Nintendo remake of Dragon Quest III that his most modern design comes from.

https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero

Bring Sugiyama into the mix for the music and that brings us to FIVE separate entities that would need to be negotiated with to make Erdrick DLC possible. It doesn't help that both Sugiyama and Toriyama are notoriously hard to work with either. Once again, a friendly reminder that this character's fan demand is surpassed by the most common enemy in Dragon Quest and even Slime doesn't crack top 20 in Japanese polls for wanted Smash characters. Just for the sake of continuing to beat a dead horse with a tire iron, his game hasn't been released on a Nintendo platform since 2011 as a Japanese exclusive and hasn't been released on a Nintendo platform outside Japan since freakin' 2001 with the Gameboy Color and was just in North America.

This character specifically would require working with more companies and entities THAN THE ENTIRE THIRD PARTY LINE UP ALREADY IN THE GAME. If Sora was a hard no despite having international appeal and being decently wanted, I don't see how they could justify this, especially when Sakurai in his latest interview talked about how perfect cooperation is key even for properties Nintendo owns and how every Smash game is basically a miracle because of this. I... Just... *trembles while staring at clenching fists*
you okay buddy. i cant tell if you are happy or.......

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Very good fine! My question though, since it’s a “dead” company, do they have any rights for that design ... Let alone any from the older games. I’m not sure how that works for debunked companies.

Or specific, if they really have any say on the use of that design since they kind of don’t exist anymore. But their name still gets shown because of ownership? Mann gets complicated fast

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

Whoa...

I feel your passion, man. It's getting a little ridiculous how convoluted Erdrick's ownership is. It doesn't make him impossible, but likely? No way. I can only wonder which person, if there even is only one, Sakurai would have to run design decisions by. Toriyama? Someone at Square? Armor Project? Toriyama alone is a busy man, I'm sure. And Sakurai's on a schedule. That's to say nothing of how DLC profits would be split up...

It just doesn't seem feasible.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
you okay buddy. i cant tell if you are happy or.......
It's incredibly frustrating that Dragon Quest is even still part of the conversation given everything we know. "Dude, the Square rep is going to be *has to look it up on Google* Erdrick; it's just simple facts." When it comes to Dragon Quest characters, Slime would actually be the least complicated because it seems like Bird Studio doesn't own it and is just a property of Armor Project but:

-They'd still have to work with Sugiyama, Armor Project, and Square Enix to make it happen.

-Slime is not the true mascot of Dragon Quest. The series has a main character, "Hero" with "Erdrick" being the series Marth/Link so it's not like Pikachu where the focus of Pokemon is the actual Pokemon anyways. The Dragon Quest games focus on the actual Heros.

-Hardly anyone wants it anyways, not even in Japan where Dragon Quest is huge.

-Slime has yet to appear outside a game that Square Enix didn't publish or develop themselves.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think he's just baffled how anyone can realistically think it's Erdrick considering this bombshell of information.
Again, we’re speculating on how difficult that is though. On paper it sounds bad, but we don’t know how difficult any of it actually is. Maybe part of the agreement for a Dragon Quest character is Square handling all the excess rights stuff, or maybe they’ve already got papers written up for such situations. Or maybe it is really all that difficult to get everyone on board.

We just don’t know, and I think assuming complex legal matters such as these, that also could have any number of corporate decisions behind them is just going too far.

Is Geno easier? Absolutely. Should he be picked because he is an easy win and Square seems to be more difficult to work with? Probably. Will he? We’ll have to see.

Or even worst case scenario is something like Square agreeing to include Cloud in base for something later on that they get more influence on.

There’s just way too much to take that sort of information as a negative or a positive in my mind.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Looking at all this, they'd have to go pretty far out of the way to get almost anyone from Square that's not Geno, which would just honestly be kinda silly. Sure it's possible, but it would beg the question of why all the extra effort when you already have a golden goose literally in your hands, and one that you don't have to share?

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Remember back when people said Geno had no chances because Square is too difficult to work with? That was such a prevalent argument in the post-Brawl/Smash4 speculation days.

And now it looks like those same people are saying DQ has a better chance?

Don’t get me wrong, I think DQ being the character is certainly a possibility...But given how much more difficult it’d be to get DQ in from a legal perspective, I find the recent speculation very ironic.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213

Find 2 more people who also has DQ assets so we could get another Legend of the Seven Stars reference.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

Seems like the endgame is really turning out to be Geno vs. Chrono.

I’ve seen a couple people here that would be happy “conceding” to Chrono for various reasons, and... it really kind of annoys me. Chrono, whole certainly not being as bad as “generic DQ protagonist”, still has a host of issues.

On a scale of 1-10 when it comes to “obscurity”, I’d put Cloud at a 7-8, Geno at a 2-3, and Chrono at about a 4-5. These last few years haven’t been too kind to Chrono’s popularity, especially with his game not being on the SNES Classic. He’s just had some mobile ports and a PC port that started out as absolute trash before later getting updated.

But the big thing that sets Geno apart despite his obscurity is, well, how many people want him in Smash. He has an incredibly notable following to the point where many, many people who’ve never even played his original game either want or even flat-out expect him. Chrono, on the other hand, flat-out doesn’t show up on any polls.

Like... I’m not saying that he wouldn’t be relatively well-received, since he certainly would be, but... like, it’d set a weird precedent to have the first character of the pass be another anime swordsman that certainly has some general popularity behind him... yet one that nobody particularly wanted in Smash. It’d feel more like Nintendo is just marketing more towards general audiences and not Smash players specifically, which would be quite disappointing, especially with all the “investment” talk during the Direct.

I’d only be happy with Chrono if we also get Geno, and won’t “concede” anything.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I’ve seen a couple people here that would be happy “conceding” to Chrono for various reasons, and... it really kind of annoys me. Chrono, whole certainly not being as bad as “generic DQ protagonist”, still has a host of issues.

On a scale of 1-10 when it comes to “obscurity”, I’d put Cloud at a 7-8, Geno at a 2-3, and Chrono at about a 4-5. These last few years haven’t been too kind to Chrono’s popularity, especially with his game not being on the SNES Classic. He’s just had some mobile ports and a PC port that started out as absolute trash before later getting updated.

But the big thing that sets Geno apart despite his obscurity is, well, how many people want him in Smash. He has an incredibly notable following to the point where many, many people who’ve never even played his original game either want or even flat-out expect him. Chrono, on the other hand, flat-out doesn’t show up on any polls.

Like... I’m not saying that he wouldn’t be relatively well-received, since he certainly would be, but... like, it’d set a weird precedent to have the first character of the pass be another anime swordsman that certainly has some general popularity behind him... yet one that nobody particularly wanted in Smash. It’d feel more like Nintendo is just marketing more towards general audiences and not Smash players specifically, which would be quite disappointing, especially with all the “investment” talk during the Direct.

I’d only be happy with Chrono if we also get Geno, and won’t “concede” anything.
Wait, but if more people want him in, wouldn't that naturally decrease his obscurity?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Remember back when people said Geno had no chances because Square is too difficult to work with? That was such a prevalent argument in the post-Brawl/Smash4 speculation days.

And now it looks like those same people are saying DQ has a better chance?

Don’t get me wrong, I think DQ being the character is certainly a possibility...But given how much more difficult it’d be to get DQ in from a legal perspective, I find the recent speculation very ironic.
THANK YOU! This guy gets it. As a Geno supporter for 13 years online, the sheer magnitude of the irony kills me.

>"Geno's too legally complicated, they'd never go for him."

>"Square's super protective of their IPs and one of the hardest developers to work with in the industry. No way Geno will ever be in Smash in any form."

>*proceeds to suggest characters behind as many as 5 proxys*

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

This is basically what I was saying yesterday. If anything it's a bigger slap in the face to get a character just as "obscure" as Geno (to the general public) and who is in a similiar situation who has much less fan demand to join Smash. Would make no sense for him to come out of this better than our guy

THANK YOU! This guy gets it. As a Geno supporter for 13 years online, the sheer magnitude of the irony kills me.

>"Geno's too legally complicated, they'd never go for him."

>"Square's super protective of their IPs and one of the hardest developers to work with in tbe industry. No way Geno will ever be in Smash in any form.

>*proceeds to suggest characters behind as many as 5 proxys*

This is where it becomes clear that they are just arguing because they don't like Geno, not because they actually have any great points to make. The amount of people to unironically say Sora is more likely than Geno in this thread leaves me in awe

Last edited:

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
Again, we’re speculating on how difficult that is though. On paper it sounds bad, but we don’t know how difficult any of it actually is. Maybe part of the agreement for a Dragon Quest character is Square handling all the excess rights stuff, or maybe they’ve already got papers written up for such situations. Or maybe it is really all that difficult to get everyone on board.

We just don’t know, and I think assuming complex legal matters such as these, that also could have any number of corporate decisions behind them is just going too far.

Is Geno easier? Absolutely. Should he be picked because he is an easy win and Square seems to be more difficult to work with? Probably. Will he? We’ll have to see.

Or even worst case scenario is something like Square agreeing to include Cloud in base for something later on that they get more influence on.

There’s just way too much to take that sort of information as a negative or a positive in my mind.
This is exactly the way that I see it. We're outsiders with very limited knowledge about how difficult it really is for a massive company like Nintendo to attempt to work with other massive companies on a crossover project with so much marketing power. It's fair to say that the rights to Erdrick being so split up may be a point against his inclusion, but I think we'd be getting ahead of ourselves to consider him anywhere near being a nonviable candidate.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Wait, but if more people want him in, wouldn't that naturally decrease his obscurity?
Nah, because in this case, Geno isn’t obscure to the group that matters a bit more in these discussions(Smash fans, of course), but is less known than Chrono to more general audiences.

All that Chrono really has going for him Smash-wise is Toriyama. I’m really hoping that NOJ doesn’t go “Oh, so many people want Goku? Let’s give them this other character by the same creator, that’s the same thing, right?”

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
13 years!?

After waiting for that long, you really deserve Geno. :)
Me, Psycho, KCchief, Xigger, TBone, etc have been on this ride for a long time. We've all been here since the Brawl speculation days with several of us being migrants from Nsider (Nintendo's official online forum that closed October 2017). In every sense of the word, we're the Old Guard of the Geno fanbase.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm going to be in the Star Road discord server that many of you are on. If you aren't in it, just DM me on Discord, my username is on my profile. I got some things happening.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai's own words:

"You may not sense that, but it is actually a miracle every time we’re able to create a Smash Bros. game. It’s a bit different from any other game series that regularly comes out with new installments. Unless we get approval from all of the I.P. holders who are involved in this game, we can’t make this game. And every time, we are walking a fine line."

In other words, partners have to be completely in sync with the development team. If someone disagrees with something, it's back to Square (heh) One. Keep in mind that Sakurai even negotiates with the character artists themselves for these sorts of things. Sakurai has even described consultants for characters that hardly anyone cares about that are first party like Wii Fit. That's a way-fer thin line just for first party character, third parties are probably like passing kidney stones, and a franchise like Dragon Quest would be like passing a Rubix Cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom