• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Yeah, I mean even some of Incineroar's detractors went "hey that's actually kind of cool" when they saw his reveal. Presentation makes all the difference when you want to sell a character's merits as an inclusion.
Totally, and I was in that boat a bit. I don’t play Pokémon but seeing a wrestler character was really cool and I was immediately on board.

But we actually don't know what the criteria for DLC is yet. Look at Smash 4's DLC. Three of the seven selections were fan favorite / returning fighters. Cloud was chosen as the FF rep because he received the most votes on the ballot for that franchise. Ultimately, I think it's a balance between both fan desire and cold profit motives. A Dragon Quest character would make sense to me as would Master Chief. At the same time, Banjo and Geno would also make sense. Sakurai himself has said variety of motive and of moveset is essential when building a roster.
I totally agree that speculating on any given corporation’s motives and interests is basically a crapshoot. People spend careers trying to figure this stuff out and still get it wrong half the time.

That said if I were SE, I would want Erdrick over Geno, for promotion. If I were NoJ, I would still want Erdrick over Geno for promotion. You could point to DQ sales being poor in the west as a reason not to do it, but I think that’s exactly why they’d try—inclusion of a flagship character in Smash Bros is a tried and true playbook method to generate buzz around a series. NoJ definitely ignores what fans want depending on what it is, so it wouldn’t be completely out of character.
Sakurai would definitely pick Geno over Erdrick though, hands down. He’s just way more interesting and unique a fighter, and a fan favorite. As an addition to the Smash roster from every angle Geno is a better choice than Erdrick no matter how you slice it.

In terms of Spirits, no one at NoJ or Sakurai is going to care if a Spirit already exists, period. If I were a game designer on their team, I would never look at a Spirit and say to myself, “man they would be great but it’s too bad they’re a Spirit, rats and oh well”.

I bet if anyone saw a blue clad puppet who shot bullets and a kamehameha beam from his arm and turn into a cannon and explode the map as a star would go "I...want to play as that guy"
Totally. Which SE rep is DLC really just comes down to if the committees in charge of all this want a fan-fav or a better marketing option but less desirable to the fans.

Thing is, general fans will think either looks pretty great once a trailer of them come out. Anime swordsmen are completely played out but I wouldn’t underestimate NoJ totally ignoring that. Thankfully, Sakurai definitely has an influence on their decision (how could he not, and he said so himself), so we just have to wait and see what the case is, there’s no way to tell right now. Of course everyone here, myself included, want Geno. It’s a toss up, I just can’t wait to see which is the case.

D

Deleted member

Hello Geno fans. Since Neku basically doesn't really have a chance anymore, I'm here to support the puppet guy myself!
Thanks for the support :) You shouldn't lose hope in the character you want though

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Did y'all hear about the Banjo-Kazooie fanmade music video being taken down in Nintendo's termination spree?

Well...it also happened to a fanmade Beware the Forest's Mushrooms that was on the same channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnYTY660ZQ&index=295&list=LLTiJ1CN9tOJJx8aGEOBfCMQ

Now, you might say "Yeah, that's because the channel was terminated, duh."

However, the messages I've seen on terminated videos of Smash Bros. music said that the channel was either actually terminated, was closed by the user, or that the video was just removed for copyright claims from third-parties or something (or the user removed it).

These two videos were taken down simply because of Nintendo of America, Inc. making copyright claims.

This gives us two possibilities:

1. Nintendo, in their haste, accidentally claimed these videos before they actually just straight-up terminated the channel.

or

2. In their haste, almost the same situation, except they mistook it for something they had in their plans for Banjo-Kazooie, missing that it said "fanmade."

Another video on their channel that I liked, a Pokemon track in Smash Ultimate, was taken down because of copyright claims by third-parties, so there were different messages on the channel.

Now, it could just be the former situation, but I'd still find it odd how they let their employees or bots or whatever claim B-K stuff as part of their own copyrights, and maybe SMRPG as well (I assume the music is owned by SE).

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Did y'all hear about the Banjo-Kazooie fanmade music video being taken down in Nintendo's termination spree?

Well...it also happened to a fanmade Beware the Forest's Mushrooms that was on the same channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnYTY660ZQ&index=295&list=LLTiJ1CN9tOJJx8aGEOBfCMQ

However, the messages I've seen on terminated videos of Smash Bros. music said that the channel was either actually terminated, was closed by the user, or that the video was just removed for copyright claims from third-parties or something.

These two videos were taken down simply because of Nintendo of America, Inc. making copyright claims.

1. Nintendo, in their haste, accidentally claimed these videos before they actually just straight-up terminated the channel.

or

2. In their haste, almost the same situation, except they mistook it for something they had in their plans for Banjo-Kazooie, missing that it said "fanmade."

Another video on their channel that I liked, a Pokemon track from Smash, was taken down because of copyright claims by third-parties, so there were different messages on the channel.
That is certainly weird.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I totally agree that speculating on any given corporation’s motives and interests is basically a crapshoot. People spend careers trying to figure this stuff out and still get it wrong half the time.

That said if I were SE, I would want Erdrick over Geno, for promotion. If I were NoJ, I would still want Erdrick over Geno for promotion. You could point to DQ sales being poor in the west as a reason not to do it, but I think that’s exactly why they’d try—inclusion of a flagship character in Smash Bros is a tried and true playbook method to generate buzz around a series. NoJ definitely ignores what fans want depending on what it is, so it wouldn’t be completely out of character.
Sakurai would definitely pick Geno over Erdrick though, hands down. He’s just way more interesting and unique a fighter, and a fan favorite. As an addition to the Smash roster from every angle Geno is a better choice than Erdrick no matter how you slice it.

In terms of Spirits, no one at NoJ or Sakurai is going to care if a Spirit already exists, period. If I were a game designer on their team, I would never look at a Spirit and say to myself, “man they would be great but it’s too bad they’re a Spirit, rats and oh well”.
Yeah, I think those are fair points. I'm no business man, so I can't say for sure, but I tend to just not look at things as a binary. For example, I don't think the lack of sales in the West is a deal breaker at all when it comes to DQ characters. However, at the same time, I don't think Geno being an obscure character to younger and broader audiences is a deal breaker either. I will admit, having this outlook might make for boring debates. That said, I think all of these things are probably taken into extreme consideration by people who are much more knowledgable than I.

DLC slots are definitely a different beast to base roster slots as are third party vs first party slots. It's unfortunate that Square pushed for DLC and it's unfortunate that Geno is a 3rd party character. He's a great character among a lot of other great characters in the midst of a fierce competition for one spot.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

However, the messages I've seen on terminated videos of Smash Bros. music said that the channel was either actually terminated, was closed by the user, or that the video was just removed for copyright claims from third-parties or something (or the user removed it).

or

Another video on their channel that I liked, a Pokemon track in Smash Ultimate, was taken down because of copyright claims by third-parties, so there were different messages on the channel.

Now, it could just be the former situation, but I'd still find it odd how they let their employees or bots or whatever claim B-K stuff as part of their own copyrights, and maybe SMRPG as well (I assume the music is owned by SE).
this could be another am2r take down for samus returns, but its very tinfoil hat-ish

LetterO

Smash Lord
Lucas and Roy almost primarily targeted the Smash community. Geno would basically do the same thing. He's not the same as a veteran, but almost everyone who's well versed in Smash would know Geno and his fan demand. Not all 5 characters have to target the general audience, neither does Geno.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

or

Oh, that was 31 Horas Music. The reason why their channel was shutdown was because they uploaded some unreleased Smash Ultimate OST that isn't supposed to be out yet, just like Crunchii they got the same treatment; they uploaded the new Gangplank Galleon and a few of the other unreleased new remixes from Ultimate, that's why their channel was taken down. It didn't have anything to do with the fan-made final boss theme from Banjo-Kazooie, nor did the termination have anything to do with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms.

If they were taken down because of Banjo and Geno, then Cyber Shaman's fan-made gameplay trailers of Geno and Banjo in Smash Ultimate would've been taken down as well, but they're still up.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
this could be another am2r take down for samus returns, but its very tinfoil hat-ish
Maybe, but since when was BANJO-KAZOOIE content taken down? When it's generally a Microsoft property these days?

If they were taken down because of Banjo and Geno, then Cyber Shaman's fan-made gameplay trailers of Geno and Banjo in Smash Ultimate would've been taken down as well, but they're still up.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Oh, that was 31 Horas Music. The reason why their channel was shutdown was because they uploaded some unreleased Smash Ultimate OST that isn't supposed to be out yet, just like Crunchii they got the same treatment; they uploaded the new Gangplank Galleon and a few of the other unreleased new remixes from Ultimate, that's why their channel was taken down. It didn't have anything to do with the fan-made final boss theme from Banjo-Kazooie, nor did the termination have anything to do with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms.

the fact that the videos in specific say it was from a copyright claim from noa is kinda fishy though

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't know if I missed something on that tweet, but did it explicitly say that Spirits didn't deconfirm? My take was it was really vague and didn't really say much, but I may have missed something on it. I've been sick all day so my brain is a bit cloudy.
Basically confirming what we've known all along, spirits on a basic level are the same as trophies. For added reference, Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in the base game of SSB4 before being DLC. In other words, they're not hard disconfirmations for DLC.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Don’t get too crazy with the Banjo music stuff. They use an algorithm to take **** down and anything with smash ultimate music in the title likely got hit regardless of whatever else was in the title

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
the fact that the videos in specific say it was from a copyright claim from noa is kinda fishy though
I think they can copyright strike more than three videos. HOWEVER, I do agree, that's very fishy. Was the Banjo and Geno fan-made themes copyright claimed by NoA?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Don’t get too crazy with the Banjo music stuff. They use an algorithm to take **** down and anything with smash ultimate music in the title likely got hit regardless of whatever else was in the title
id believe that if you couldnt find a ton of fan remixes still in youtube searches
I think they can copyright strike more than three videos. HOWEVER, I do agree, that's very fishy. Was the Banjo and Geno fan-made themes copyright claimed by NoA?
yea, the link from the poster shows that the beware the forest mushroom's theme was claimed by noa

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I do think it's more-likely a mistake because of bots now that I think about it and after having been to the Discussion thread; apparently a fanmade Golden Sun track was taken down as well.

Even so, it's funny how their bots just made them invade Rare's and SE's copyrights :troll:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
You know, with how many people have been watching this thread all day and how many people are watching this thread right now, I'm just going to put on my tinfoil hat and assume that there are a bunch of Nintendo employees included who are watching now in order to see just how big the Geno fan support is. In which case, I am going to respond with:

Hello, Nintendo employees. Please put Geno in the game. You won't regret it. :4pacman:

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
Let's change things up a little guys.

What is your favorite color and how old were you when you first played SMRPG?

I have a theory that the color of a character had a lot of influence as to who people liked as a child.

My favorite color is blue and I was 7 when the game was released and when I played SMRPG.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

I have a theory that the color of a character had a lot of influence as to who people liked as a child.

My favorite color is blue and I was 7 when the game was released and when I played SMRPG.
Well, my favourite colour is yellow, and I first played SMRPG when I was 13. :)

D

Deleted member

My favorite color is orange and I played SMRPG when I was 12 :)

paper roxy

Smash Ace

my favorite color is fuschia and i think i played it for the first time when i was 10

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman

or

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman

Purple, and I... Haven't played yet.

Geno just sorta interested me, especially with all the support.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice

My favorite color is red and I was 11 when I played SMRPG. My dad kept renting it for me on the weekends I would stay there but I could only beat Mack before the weekend was up. After renting it for me like 5 times he finally just bought me the game! :)

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213

or

I wouldn't get so crazy about it. It's Nintendo just deleting everything with SSBU name on videos.

Blue (and purple). I was 14 to fully experience the game since SMRPG never came out in Europe but as VC, but it's better late than never.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

My favorite color is coincidently blue (just like Geno's attire!) andddd... I've never played Mario RPG lol. Geno's always just interested me. Though, I have been watching ProJared's playthrough on the game to get a good feel on how it goes/is. It looks pretty fun!

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Totally, and I was in that boat a bit. I don’t play Pokémon but seeing a wrestler character was really cool and I was immediately on board.

Totally. Which SE rep is DLC really just comes down to if the committees in charge of all this want a fan-fav or a better marketing option but less desirable to the fans.

Thing is, general fans will think either looks pretty great once a trailer of them come out. Anime swordsmen are completely played out but I wouldn’t underestimate NoJ totally ignoring that. Thankfully, Sakurai definitely has an influence on their decision (how could he not, and he said so himself), so we just have to wait and see what the case is, there’s no way to tell right now. Of course everyone here, myself included, want Geno. It’s a toss up, I just can’t wait to see which is the case.
Interesting. I feel like if I were SE for example, I would want Erdrick for promotion. But if I were NoJ I would pick Geno based on his sheer popularity and how easy it would be to make him a fighter. No hassle with other companies outside of Square, easy access to music, easy access to assets to make a stage (he’s already part of the Mario universe) and a model (using the Mii costume as a base, his move set can be lifted straight from his game, no scouring multiple games to do research on a move set, EDIT: ADDITIONALLY the team already has done research into SMRPG for that Spirit battle AND pleasing the fans by releasing arguably the third most requested fighter in the series history?? Ushering in a new audience to a character already beloved setting it up for potential future NINTENDO games. (DLC in games such as Mario Kart, Aces, Mario Party, developing future Mario titles all of which can be now compatible with an amiibo)

I think a DQ Rep would be a purely PURELY not only SE move, but also PURELY marketing

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

Blue or Green. I believe I first played it when I was 11-12.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My favorite color is green, however blue comes very close.

I haven't played SMRPG yet, but I plan to, and I like what I've read about Geno's character plus his design is cool (tbh I initially liked the character just because of his design being cool, I didn't even know what he was like yet :p )

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Blue and this year. I know that is not my age, but I felt like that was a more fitting answer considering how recent it was.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't remember what year it was when I first played Mario RPG. But it was somewhere between when I was 10-13

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Mine is red and I was also 7 when I first played SMRPG. Rented several times over the summer of '96 but ultimately beat it. I still asked for it for Christmas that year and I still have the original cartridge.

Last edited:

BoyMan

Smash Cadet

Green and I was probably five or six when I first played SMRPG.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman

Favorite color is green

I don’t remember the first time I played, I had to have been between like 7-10 tho for sure, and then probably again sometime around 13-16 when I rediscovered I had a SNES.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

I don't have a Fav Colour at all, I played SMRPG when I was around 11

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

My favorite color is red and blue; Mario and Geno's characters grew on me, so you're probably right about the colors of characters influencing us.

I can't remember, but I was 7 or 8 when I first played Super Mario RPG; I remember playing it once on my sister's SNES sometime in the early 2000s, then she did something with the SNES and I couldn't play her Super Nintendo anymore, so I eventually got it on the Wii Virtual Console in 2008 and finished it for my first time on there. I just beat it a 5th time in October to see if I can jinx Geno into the roster, and 2 of those 5 times were 100% game completions.

Bonus: Kirbopher's Rawest Forest and Chuggaaconroy's let's play of SMRPG is what encouraged me to play Super Mario RPG. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom