• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
i dont think we'll have to wait that long to know the first DLC, in the last direct they didnt reveal anything because apparently they weren't all chose yet, cf Sakurai's tweet about Nintendo picking.
Now that it's picked, they still have to sell fighters pass, and also make a bundle with smash
When they revealed Mewtwo it was at a pretty early state so why not.
It could just be a picture, they don't have to show its gameplay like the plant.

So i'm pretty confident we will know soon, and their first one must be the big guns to sell a load of fighter passes

Also even if Geno loses to Erdrick or another one, i really hope they'll give back the Geno mii costume as i really liked playing him in 4.

That lack of every third parties mii costume made me think they could give them away with each dlc, so we would have to get a Square, Capcom, Namco and SEGA dlc to get all of them back

paper roxy

Smash Ace
i think the fact that geno, an "irrelevant" character was one of the only 7 square enix characters mentioned says a lot.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Yeah see, this is why I figured they could just make all the heroes as Alts. At least DQ1, DQ3, DQ8 and DQ11 would all make sense. They can all use a sword and shield as far as I know. Hair properties aside, I think it could work.

Also good to know there is actual evidence that this PM exists.

But yeah, still banking on Dragon Quest being in Smash. It makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Okay, since Polar Panda said yes, Vergeben noted that Erdrick and Luminary were almost always mentioned together, theorizing that they could somehow be a composite character. This doesn't work for a number of reasons:

-their physical proportions are different
-their hair is different
-their swords are different
-their clothes are different
-Erdrick is almost always depicted with a shield

It just wouldn't work. For the reasons I gave in my last post, they would go with Erdrick before any other DQ character instead of making a ton of weird and unnecessary concessions to have both.
Would they make Erdrick and the Luminary be sort of an Olimar/Alph situation? Their proportions aren't that different and they're both generic silent protagonist swordsmen with a similar spell list.

On that note, at a glance Geno definitely seems to be a more creative choice than them. I think Sakurai has started to look at the roster more as a "whole". It's just a feeling I get, especially from Piranha Plant being added. There's a huge cast of diverse characters and it seems like he's starting to care a lot more about them feeling different from each other.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
The Luminary can use a sword, sword and shield, two swords, or a greatsword (two-handed sword).
Square Enix is selling Bings Arts Figures of Erdrick as well as The Luminary.
Here are the links to those:
https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero
https://store.na.square-enix-games....oes-of-an-elusive-age-bring-arts-the-luminary
https://store.na.square-enix-games....ing-arts-the-luminary-limited-metal-slime-ver

Just quoting this since yeah. It wouldn't be that farfetched to consider when you think about it. Especially if you've played Dragon Quest XI.
But we already have characters who can use those weapons in smash (with exception of two swords). I think all of the Links have the sword and shield combo pretty much covered. Cloud and Ike have heavy weapons pretty much covered. I don't see Erdrick adding much to Smash other than the fact that "its a Dragon Quest character that is now in Smash". This would be wildly different than the effect Cloud had on smash because Cloud was the 1st ever Square Enix rep period, and comes from a historical storied franchise, and its CLOUD. Erdrick would only bring a replication to that. MAYBE he'll stand apart from other sword users with magic but, Robin has that pretty filled too...

Also, I think character playstyles are a factor as well. Especially in Ultimate. Simon, K.Rool, Incineroar, and Inkling (IMO the only definitive new ground up characters not based on existing assets) have VASTLY different movesets from the rest of the cast. Sakurai himself said he picked Incineroar because he always wanted to make a wrestler style character. Geno (because I gotta bring it back to Geno) would definitely have a more unique look, moveset, reveal, and hype if brought to Smash.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Also even if Geno loses to Erdrick or another one, i really hope they'll give back the Geno mii costume as i really liked playing him in 4.
yea, at least having geno's mii costume would make up for him not getting in to me, even if just slightly

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie
Another thing to consider about that backwards version of the commercial:
If it's actually meant to be a character hint, and it's kinda hard to consider it not being one right now. Especially in light of those supposed names. Lookin' at the list, it boils down to being a hint for either The Luminary or Crono since both games involve time travel.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Sure. But a bit of a correction, note that Verge is making estimations on the DQ thing. He believes since he's heard it the most that it has to be the most true. However, he's heard all of the 6 within the same range (from 1-2 people). He has a bit of bias against Geno too. It's telling that even when he personally thinks Geno isn't in, he's still getting people getting somebody else telling him Geno. DQ, Crono, and Sephiroth have been the ones he's heard the most, though spread pretty evenly. With Geno close behind.

Somebody on the Speculation general thread said something completely untrue. No, the DMs I have with Vege are not old. They are incredibly recent. And no, Geno is not deconfirmed, lol. As you probably already know, the Geno rumor from NoA is still solid and Verge still does not believe Geno is out of the running. He's heard him less than other names, yeah, and he's incredibly skeptical of Geno, yeah, but that's not deconfirmation. And I'm not 'stupid' for saying his info on Smashboards. The fans deserve to know, and it's not like every character on that list is going to be confirmed. Verge just didn't want to say it because he didn't want to face backlash if he was misinterpreted. So I did it for him.
Its shocking to me how GFs hasnt picked up on this lmao. Its also comforting to know that thr DLC will be one of these 6(5) characters. They all are legitimate picks from square, regardless.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Luminary can use a sword, sword and shield, two swords, or a greatsword (two-handed sword).
Square Enix is selling Bings Arts Figures of Erdrick as well as The Luminary.
Here are the links to those:
https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero
https://store.na.square-enix-games....oes-of-an-elusive-age-bring-arts-the-luminary
https://store.na.square-enix-games....ing-arts-the-luminary-limited-metal-slime-ver

Here's the Erdrick figure:

And here's The Luminary figure:

Just quoting this since yeah. It wouldn't be that farfetched to consider when you think about it. Especially if you've played Dragon Quest XI.
Wait, hold the phone... Bird Studio? You mean, Akira Toriyama's studio? The characters are liscensed by three studios!? So, to get them for Smash, the music, the stage assets, and characters would all have to be liscensed by separate studios?! *screams into the infinity of space*

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If it's actually meant to be a character hint, and it's kinda hard to consider it not being one right now. Especially in light of those supposed names. Lookin' at the list, it boils down to being a hint for either The Luminary or Crono since both games involve time travel.
I don't think it's a hint, Sakurai most-likely meant the feeling of it, or how the sound effects are still normal, or simply how it's reversed...

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
GUYS, STOP speculating about Nintendo's strategy based only on popularity, this is so stupid...
Imagine Geno vs Goku for example: who is more popular? Goku! That means that Goku will bring more money to Nintendo? NO! Look at amiibo sales for example, Goku's fans have a lot of figures to choose from, there is cheapers, more dailed, other Dragon Ball products, etc, for they to choose from. But Geno's amiibo is the ONLY product in the market for A LOT of people who likes Geno, SMRPG, old school/snes games, etc. All of this people don't have ANY OTHER PRODUCT to buy, this is a BIG blue ocean against a really red one.
Dragon Ball on switch will not improve Switch sales because there is already a lot of DB games in, while Geno could target new people (same list as before: SMRPG fans, SNES fans, JRPG fans, etc)
Also Geno would focus on delighting Nintendo's old fans, what is a really important asset for Nintendo in situations like WiiU, which is a console that sold really bad. Having a such huge fanbase (new ones and old ones) help Nintendo to avoid really bad situations, it's like a parachute in times of crisis.

THIS IS NOT A POST IN FAVOR OF GENO, it's against this shallow point of view!

So please look at amiibo sales, fanbase satisfaction, Switch sales, SSBU sales, DLC sales etc, before having a shallow conversation where popularity is the same as geting more money! If this was the case, Mr Game and Watch, Bayonetta, Chrom and others would never be in, at the same time that Dovahkiin, Rayman, Goku, Diablo and a lot more would always be prioritized.
Popularity is ONLY a multiplier in a equation with a lot of variables.

PS: Geno also has a lot of disadvantages in a lot of zones too.

ps2: Sorry for all this caps and bold words and sorry if I offended someone, that was not my intention!

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I... think I might have an idea as to the whole “29 costume slots remaining” thing, and it doesn’t look good. I’ll spoiler-tag it.

-Eight Monster Hunter armor styles
-Eight Style Savvy outfits
-Eight Dragon Quest Heroes
-Two styles for Porky, organic and metal
-Regular Kazooie and Dragon Kazooie
-And Piranha Plant makes 29.

It’s the only lineup I can think of that would perfectly fit that number, and as has been said before, Smash 4 ended up filling every last one of its’ slots. I’m still really hoping for Geno and would vastly prefer him to all five of these, but... like, I’m continually losing hope.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
While possible, I think this theory is TOO "tin foil" for me. It's similar to the "chair color means Waluigi is in" theories. If he wanted to give us a hint to DLC it'd be more direct. I'm assuming what he said we would miss is simply more characters floating around (K. Rool in the background, Ice Climbers, etc)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would they make Erdrick and the Luminary be sort of an Olimar/Alph situation? Their proportions aren't that different and they're both generic silent protagonist swordsmen with a similar spell list.

On that note, at a glance Geno definitely seems to be a more creative choice than them. I think Sakurai has started to look at the roster more as a "whole". It's just a feeling I get, especially from Piranha Plant being added. There's a huge cast of diverse characters and it seems like he's starting to care a lot more about them feeling different from each other.
Yeah, with PP he specifically noted he typically goes for a few characters that don't fit the heroic mold, to help balance out roster variety.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
What commercial, though?

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Wait, hold the phone... Bird Studio? You mean, Akira Toriyama's studio? The characters are liscensed by three studios!? So, to get them for Smash, the music, the stage assets, and characters would all have to be liscensed by separate studios?! *screams into the infinity of space*
Yeah DQ is owned by like 3 seperate groups. 1 of them being Toriyama, who is notoriously picky and hard to work with. and the other being the composer Koichi Sugiyama, who people have called an actual nazi.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
so do we know what the list is or do just polar and fatmanonice know?
Nope we know, we just don't know what the exact PM said:

- Sephiroth
- Chrono
- Erdrick
- DQ 11 protag (forgot the name)
- Slime
- Geno
- Sora (specifically mentioned to be deconfirmed)

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Polar Panda's mention of Verg's DM is cool.

Although since people found the name Chrono in Smash's files.. It might be him. If not Geno, Chrono would be my second choice from the list. I really hope it's not Sephiroth.
Do you have any sort of source for that claim? Does anyone else?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I... think I might have an idea as to the whole “29 costume slots remaining” thing, and it doesn’t look good. I’ll spoiler-tag it.

It’s the only lineup I can think of that would perfectly fit that number, and as has been said before, Smash 4 ended up filling every last one of its’ slots. I’m still really hoping for Geno and would vastly prefer him to all five of these, but... like, I’m continually losing hope.
That is some uber low expectations. We're not getting a Style Savvy rep, that's just silly. The cut content was probably a stage, and even if it wasn't, it was CUT. (that is, if any content was ever there to begin with. Some people are just assuming things based on **** we don't even really know.)

I could see the Monster Hunter thing possibly, but eight DQ heros? Nah.

Also once again, people continue to think Porky is a lock because spirits apparently disconfirm characters... Porky IS in a spirit. He's in the absolutely safe capsule. The reason porky himself isn't a spirit is because the capsule he's in is perfectly safe.

There are 2 seperate spirits of Pit. They're both just different art of Pit. One is NOT a fighter spirit. Can this whole "spirits disconfirm" thing die already?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post; double posting(please edit your messages instead)
Nope we know, we just don't know what the exact PM said:

- Sephiroth
- Chrono
- Erdrick
- DQ 11 protag (forgot the name)
- Slime
- Geno
- Sora (specifically mentioned to be deconfirmed)
so with the nightmare that anything dragon quest would be to get in smash, its between geno, chrono, and sephiroth
edit: thinking about it, the only thing giving chrono a better chance than dragon quest is the lack of armor project being involved directly and the dq composer, so its really just seph or geno

do people genuinely believe style savvy is going to be in smash????

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Dragon Kazooie would be pretty rad to me, honestly.

do people genuinely believe style savvy is going to be in smash????
Show one medley and one spirit, and everyone loses their minds.

schemer.png

Also once again, people continue to think Porky is a lock because spirits apparently disconfirm characters... Porky IS in a spirit. He's in the absolutely safe capsule. The reason porky himself isn't a spirit is because the capsule he's in is perfectly safe.

There are 2 seperate spirits of Pit. They're both just different art of Pit. One is NOT a fighter spirit. Can this whole "spirits disconfirm" thing die already?
Porky is poetry in himself, given that.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Okay, since Polar Panda said yes, Vergeben noted that Erdrick and Luminary were almost always mentioned together, theorizing that they could somehow be a composite character. This doesn't work for a number of reasons:

-their physical proportions are different
-their hair is different
-their swords are different
-their clothes are different
-Erdrick is almost always depicted with a shield

It just wouldn't work. For the reasons I gave in my last post, they would go with Erdrick before any other DQ character instead of making a ton of weird and unnecessary concessions to have both.
Their proportions aren't that different. They both use shields and they both use the same sword. (In all DQ11 advertising the hero had Erdrick's sword.

I actually think 11 is likely over Erdrick in some ways. 11's game is being published by Nintendo next year which is when the DLC is happening. The dlc is also being chosen by Nintendo. On top if this if the reveal DOES happen at the VGAs then 11 makes perfect sense because his game is being nominated. I'd prefer Erdrick but 11 has a solid chance too.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Would the DQ heroes even fit over each other? They have different proportions and, from what I've read people say, abilities.

Style Savvy outfits for Miis? Wouldn't they just include one...or none at all...? I'm sorry it just sounds Farfetch'd. I also think we'd only get one Monster Hunter armor style if you're talking about Miis with that one as well, and I really don't see why Monster Hunter wouldn't be included in the base-game if you mean playable character.

Dragon Kazooie would be cool, and...Metal Porky? Porky is only ever organic, the only metal stuff he has is his spider mech/bed mech.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I know this was pointed out before, but look at how many people are on this thread right now! It's 62 users and 69 guests for me as of now.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Metal Porky? Porky is only ever organic, the only metal stuff he has is his spider mech/bed mech.
maybe they mean porky's porkies?

Show one medley and one spirit, and everyone loses their minds.
people thinking style savvy will be a fighter is genuinely the most ridiculous think ive ever seen regarding smash lol. are you sure people think this is a serious thing???

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I also think Crono would be a better pick than Erdrick because Yuji Horii (creator of Dragon Quest), a creator of Final Fantasy and Akira Toriyama all made Chrono Trigger.

However, I think Geno would be a better pick overall. (Gotta bring it back to Geno)

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
To be honest while I could totally see SE and NoJ doing a Hero character for DQ or Crono I feel they would be such generic choices when you consider the sheer amount of sword users we already have in the game at this point compared to a character like Geno that would bring a really cool and original playstyle.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
To be honest while I could totally see SE and NoJ doing a Hero character for DQ or Crono I feel they would be such generic choices when you consider the sheer amount of sword users we already have in the game at this point compared to a character like Geno that would bring a really cool and original playstyle.
I just think Geno is a better, more original choice period. That's why he's lasted so long for so many years. That's why we're all here right now. And even Sakurai knows that. And thats why I feel like NoJ knows that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If reversal is a major theme, then it's something already ingame, not a DLC hint.

maybe they mean porky's porkies?
Oh, yeah, that makes sense...honestly, though, if we get Porky, I can see three-to-four different costumes for him: his standard overalls, his business suit, Porky-bot (he literally just get's a bow-tie lol), and if he comes in his Mother 3 incarnation, his EarthBound-self (they'd have to remove the mustache, although they could just make it invisible instead of counting it as a different model (well, unless there's still a shadow from his mustache I guess)).

Last edited:

KidCham

Smash Apprentice

well that could be possible with a one hand fighting style

Only the Hero from Dragon Quest V is a problem
But Dragon Quest V is the most critically acclaimed, considered the best of all time with III, so you can't really get rid of him because he fights with a stick
even if western countries don't really like dragon quest, any person who likes dragon ball would buy this dlc

Last problem but not least though: amiibos, there would be 8 differents of them to make

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
I believe that Geno and Sephiroth have better chances. Nintendo already can use Geno and if they got Cloud why not Sephiroth?
But DQ and Chrono Trigger looks like a real nightmare to get

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
uh, obviously the skull kid chairs and kingdom hearts blocks on the shelf, the golden sun battle with ratholos... all those characters that very much got in as fighters
Reminder that chairs from a kiddie web Nintendo show with :ultpiranha: as a co-host were recycled for the Direct. Either the biggest coincidence in the world, or the most subtle red herring.

Sure, but why? Why hint at a character this way...when has Sakurai ever hinted at characters?
To be fair, didn't he lightly mess with people's expectations in regards to Palutena in 4? Also, K. Rool did have some in-gameplay hints (NOT the barrel and ladder).

But I'm not talking about the windows at all, I'm referring to the video being played in reverse.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
even if western countries don't really like dragon quest, any person who likes dragon ball would buy this dlc
Ehh by that logic any person into Dragon Ball would be buying Dragon Quest games... And they're definitely not doing that as much outside of Japan.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Sure. But a bit of a correction, note that Verge is making estimations on the DQ thing. He believes since he's heard it the most that it has to be the most true. However, he's heard all of the 6 within the same range (from 1-2 people). He has a bit of bias against Geno too. It's telling that even when he personally thinks Geno isn't in, he's still getting people getting somebody else telling him Geno. DQ, Crono, and Sephiroth have been the ones he's heard the most, though spread pretty evenly. With Geno close behind.

Somebody on the Speculation general thread said something completely untrue. No, the DMs I have with Vege are not old. They are incredibly recent. And no, Geno is not deconfirmed, lol. As you probably already know, the Geno rumor from NoA is still solid and Verge still does not believe Geno is out of the running. He's heard him less than other names, yeah, and he's incredibly skeptical of Geno, yeah, but that's not deconfirmation. And I'm not 'stupid' for saying his info on Smashboards. The fans deserve to know, and it's not like every character on that list is going to be confirmed. Verge just didn't want to say it because he didn't want to face backlash if he was misinterpreted. So I did it for him.
That's funny. Square's strict when it comes to their own kind of leaks, and he said he heard DQ most, Sephiroth most, and Geno the least? Hmm. Sora, DQ and FF are probably just coverups to hide the true culprit. That one dude or employee having a bias against Geno, and Geno being the LEAST talked about gives me the feeling Geno is our Square rep. That Square employee seems salty about Geno, AND he told Verge to not take Geno seriously... if the employee is trying to throw Verge off to make him think that Geno isn't "really" the Square rep, then that just gives me the feeling Geno IS our Square rep.

It all makes sense now...

-Square takes leaks seriously and likes to throw people off with false info, most of the time it's huge info talked about, he said DQ and FF was the most talked about; he also said SORA IS OUT!

-The total of 7 Square reps, sounds like a hint.

-Don't take Geno seriously, they said.

-Geno was the least talked about, Verge said.

-Crono and a FF rep are unlikely because the Chrono Trigger and FF composer use the same composer, pretty much the same STIRCT guy who owns the FF7 tracks in Smash, AND the guy has been taking a hiatus since September.

-DQ rep is unlikely because it's owned by Armor Project, and the composer is also a pain in the *** when it comes to third-parties and the west using his soundtrack; not to mention that he denied Japan's war crimes and is anti-LGBT, which is going to make Nintendo look bad.

-DQ characters, Sora, Crono, and a FF character mentioned, and then there's Geno, an OLD, irrelevant character ALSO being mentioned and was somehow thrown in the list with those other Square characters... also Geno is the least talked about within legitimate sources, and it seems like he's more of a coverup to not be talked about... possibly because Geno is the Square rep.

(Also, spirits that have a legend value seem more like they're likely for DLC, just saying.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom