• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The more we go into it, the more convoluted Dragon Quest's inclusion would be and this still doesn't acknowledge the most glaring thing that Geno's already in Ultimate so Nintendo clearly already has the rights to use him again. It's like saying "I want a glass of milk" while ignoring the gallon in the fridge you bought yesterday and deciding to walk several miles to the store in the rain to buy a more expensive brand. If you're going to do that, it better be some damn amazing milk.
Exactly. Returning to what I have said in one of my previous posts about all the possibilities about the Square Enix rep that Vergeben mentioned, Dragon Quest having a character is very unlikely, especially that it would be very difficult to get the rights to Chrono and a DQ character when you already have the rights to Geno

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
In regards to SE, Nintendo is choosing DLC and they almost never promote third party games through their software. Nintendo has heavily promoted the series in the past, but as others have said, there is no Dragon Quest game on the Switch to speak of. Super Mario RPG isn't either, but Geno is part of the Mario series and the SNES Classic does exist. And, again, Dragon Quest is unpopular in the west which is the primary market for Smash. It's why they've added Little Mac and Ridley despite these characters not being popular in Japan and why they avoid Japanese only characters (Lucas was added when they thought the game was going to be released internationally).

At the same time, let's ask a simple questions. Who is going to generate more sales, Dragon Quest or Geno. Series that struggles outside of Japan where most people will have no idea who the character is or a long time favorite of the community that hasn't been in yet. The answer is obvious.

I actually don't see Geno as that likely, primarily in that I think Nintendo will stick to more recent titles. However, if we are comparing characters, Geno makes more sense. He can easily push people to buy the DLC just on the fact they finally added him and he's got a loyal fanbase.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
In regards to SE, Nintendo is choosing DLC and they almost never promote third party games through their software. Nintendo has heavily promoted the series in the past, but as others have said, there is no Dragon Quest game on the Switch to speak of. Super Mario RPG isn't either, but Geno is part of the Mario series and the SNES Classic does exist. And, again, Dragon Quest is unpopular in the west which is the primary market for Smash. It's why they've added Little Mac and Ridley despite these characters not being popular in Japan and why they avoid Japanese only characters (Lucas was added when they thought the game was going to be released internationally).

At the same time, let's ask a simple questions. Who is going to generate more sales, Dragon Quest or Geno. Series that struggles outside of Japan where most people will have no idea who the character is or a long time favorite of the community that hasn't been in yet. The answer is obvious.

I actually don't see Geno as that likely, primarily in that I think Nintendo will stick to more recent titles. However, if we are comparing characters, Geno makes more sense. He can easily push people to buy the DLC just on the fact they finally added him and he's got a loyal fanbase.
Spoogy! It's nice seeing you outside of the Mimique server.

Good to see you having understanding the Geno > DQ debacle.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We've basically gotten to the point in the discussion where, in order for Nintendo to skip Geno, they'd have to deliberately ignore almost a decade and a half of fan demand, Sakurai's own statements on the character, the fact that SMRPG was a top 20 seller for both the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console, the enormous success of the SNES Classic, and the fact Sakurai got the rights to him along with usable assets for two games now. Square's on board, Sakurai's on board, so the only possibility is if Nintendo gives a hard no in the face of all of this.

Extreme bias would have to interlude and there's really no way for Nintendo to look good in that situation given how they have been bending over backwards for fan demand these past four years. It's possible but it would really beg the question why, especially now that virtually every popular pick during the Brawl days is now playable or an assist trophy except Geno. This would be made even more baffling given how Bomberman and Shovel Knight are third party assist trophies despite no other tangible Smash content and had to have new models made just like a playable character. Like Chrom, Isabelle, K. Rool, and Inkling, Geno's Mii costume basically left him in a "some assembly required" state so all that would have to be totally ignored too.

Add in: Speak of the Devil, this article just dropped:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3224...9fZ0KRikvS5YUpYSIw66QwOIGCtX3KZx-ZAXtndL82G5s

Note how Sakurai puts extra emphasis on cooperation. With Kingdom Hearts, that involves three parties. With Dragon Quest, that involves four parties.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Spoogy! It's nice seeing you outside of the Mimique server.

Good to see you having understanding the Geno > DQ debacle.
Yeah, sometimes I come back here. I'm sure I'll get bored and disappear again. As for this, yeah, I've mostly been seeing what everyone else said and I'm sure I aped other peoples good points.

What I'll add is this. This whole "second SE rep" was peddled by Verge and maybe this other guy, but I doubt anyone really knows the DLC besides Sakurai and a few people at Nintendo with the team learning about it soon as they start to work on it. If you remember, there was the Gamatsu leak for Smash 4 which got some things right but other things wrong. The first batch of characters was 100% right though. However, we didn't have anything similar for Smash 4 DLC. Roy and Ryu got leaked from Datamining and one lone guy hinted at Cloud but that was about it. Moreover, the last thing Verge got right he started talking about in early August. It's been 4 months since he got something right. There is still no Minecraft and nothing on the second SE rep. He didn't even know about PP. It tells me that these are just carryovers from what he was talking about before. They are probably wrong but they don't want to admit it. They'll probably go quite and hope people forget it in a year.

Here's my theory though on leaks. See, these releases take a lot of man power. You are going to have demos, marketing material, you print the game, you send it for reviews, you have a huge staff of people working on it, ect. There are a ton of parties involved and all someone has to do is talk to someone else. DLC is a little different. You show the info in a direct and can release it the same day. Fewer people have to know and the teams are usually a lot smaller anyway. Its harder for things to get out. It's why almost all DLC leaks are from Dataminers and not text leaks since that happens more often then one guy blabbing. In short, I'd doubtful these guys know anything. If they didn't know PP then I'm doubtful they know much more.

Extreme bias would have to interlude and there's really no way for Nintendo to look good in that situation given how they have been bending over backwards for fan demand these past four years. It's possible but it would really beg the question why, especially now that virtually every popular pick during the Brawl days is now playable or an assist trophy except Geno. This would be made even more baffling given how Bomberman and Shovel Knight are third party assist trophies despite no other tangible Smash content and had to have new models made just like a playable character. Like Chrom, Isabelle, K. Rool, and Inkling, Geno's Mii costume basically left him in a "some assembly required" state so all that would have to be totally ignored too.
If we are talking about Bias, Nintendo would more likely be bias to their own games than to other companies as this is how it usually goes.

Also, for reference, the source of that is a Brawl blog. If you follow the citations you'll find it

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But it is still their own games because Super Mario RPG has their characters, it's been released on two virtual console hosting platforms owned by Nintendo where they get a cut of the profits, and the SNES Classic is a collection of games where 2/3rds of them are strictly owned by Nintendo so, again, lion's share. SMRPG barely budges the needle to what typically counts as a third party game, kind of like how Namco developed Star Fox Assualt, Donkey Konga 1-3, and DK Jungle Beat, Capcom developed Four Swords, the Minish Cap, and Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Team Ninja did Hyrule Warriors and Metroid: Other M, and SEGA developed F-Zero GX. Mario and crew are still definitely the stars of the show in SMRPG but there's just some original characters by Square Enix in it too. For all intensive purposes, it's more a Nintendo game than a Square game outside copyright laws with Mario being the clear winner when it comes to brand promotion.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Worth noting that Nintendo has definitely promoted third party games through Smash, like Bayonetta 2 in Smash 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 in Brawl.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Worth noting that Nintendo has definitely promoted third party games through Smash, like Bayonetta 2 in Smash 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 in Brawl.
Sakurai selected those characters, not Nintendo. If you look games Nintendo's made, they almost never add content from other game companies and if its not Nintendo, its something unrelated to games. To give you an idea, in their games they have more crossovers with Hello Kitty than Dragon Quest. My point is Nintendo will likely prioritize their own stuff first.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Sakurai selected those characters, not Nintendo. If you look games Nintendo's made, they almost never add content from other game companies and if its not Nintendo, its something unrelated to games. To give you an idea, in their games they have more crossovers with Hello Kitty than Dragon Quest. My point is Nintendo will likely prioritize their own stuff first.
I agree. That's why its likely a good thing for Geno that he is related to Mario's history and Nintendo already has the rights to at least SHOW him in the game, so it shouldn't be much harder to make him playable. He at least has these advantages.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
True, but they practically own Bayonetta now. And I would say the MGS4 stuff was less promoting on Nintendo's part and more Kojima being Kojima with his hinting and foreshadowing. Also, Snake only ever got in because Sakurai and Kojima were buds and not because of marketing reasons.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Oh huh. I genuinely did not know that.

I'm so proud of my buff kremling boi.
He ****ing made it. He's finally, and officially, a Nintendo all-star.

The DKC series can finally return to normal as well. Hopefully we get the dark/gritty, mechanical DKC games again with the Kremling King back in the picture. Unless someone gives him another ****ty redesign (seriously, why would anyone ever take away his gold belly...)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Vergeben hasn't said anything new since August but it kind of doesn't matter since he hasn't been wrong yet. His only statements that haven't been answered yet are the Square Enix rep and Minecraft content, both things backed up by various other insiders. Just about all of them have repeated the multiname statement with Hitagi being the only person who has claimed that Dragon Quest characters were the most often repeated. Geno and Ken were the only characters from the Grinch Leak that none of the notable insiders made strong negative statements about. As often repeated here, Jon from Game Explain has been unusually talkative about Geno, casually mentioning him in four videos and a Tweet in a span of two weeks, continuing statements going back to August.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Vergeben hasn't said anything new since August but it kind of doesn't matter since he hasn't been wrong yet. His only statements that haven't been answered yet are the Square Enix rep and Minecraft content, both things backed up by various other insiders. Just about all of them have repeated the multiname statement with Hitagi being the only person who has claimed that Dragon Quest characters were the most often repeated. Geno and Ken were the only characters from the Grinch Leak that none of the notable insiders made strong negative statements about. As often repeated here, Jon from Game Explain has been unusually talkative about Geno, casually mentioning him in four videos and a Tweet in a span of two weeks, continuing statements going back to August.
It's GameXplain that's getting my hopes up for Geno, which is funny, considering I don't like them at all. Jon has literally been getting everything on-point lately and I'm more than certain that he has sources and is trying to pretend like he's just guessing stuff.

Wasn't he SUPER confident in Simon way back before/during Verge's initial leaks? And didn't he correctly guess most of the classic FF games coming to Switch, including FF7? I don't think the dude has incorrectly guessed something yet.

D

Deleted member

So glad King K. Rool got in as well, literally glad he's back home with Nintendo's greatest and in Super Snash Bros.

Manga characters?

Sakurai probably kept a straight face but was laughing on the inside.

Course Goku will never get in.

Anyway Geno I continue to believe in.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
As often repeated here, Jon from Game Explain has been unusually talkative about Geno, casually mentioning him in four videos and a Tweet in a span of two weeks, continuing statements going back to August.
That's true, indeed. Jon has got some interesting info, considering that he got Ridley right before E3, Simon Belmont, King K. Rool before the 8.8.2018 Smash Direct, and said Isabelle would be her OWN unique newcomer instead of an echo fighter. He has been talkative about Geno lately, which really makes me believe that Geno may be our next Square rep for DLC; Jon also guessed the correct FF titles coming to the Switch, so he's got some sources that involve Square, as well, and Geno IS Square's property. This one's a little off-topic but still backs up the evidence, and I believe it was Jon who always did this, but he knew exactly when the 8.8.2018 and 11.1.2018 Smash Directs were going to happen. In case he got into trouble with Nintendo, Jon always posted a picture of Otters on his Twitter whenever a Direct was coming up in a few days, and even before the 11.1.2018 Direct was announced, he posted another one and it was announced a little later that a Smash Direct would be held on November 1, 2018. This makes me believe that he's got some sources, too, and if he keeps talking about Geno, then he might actually be coming for DLC.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Jon is definitely suspicious. I've been sure of it since the Kirby's Epic Yarn port for 3DS got shown off. Who predicts an Epic Yarn port in 2018?!

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Jon is definitely suspicious. I've been sure of it since the Kirby's Epic Yarn port for 3DS got shown off. Who predicts an Epic Yarn port in 2018?!
To be honest, when I found out about the Wooly world port I turned to my friend and said "How much do you wanna bet Epic Yarn is next?" I don't think that was all that big of a prediction compared to Jon's calling of the Final Fantasy games. That was where I started to suspect him of knowing more than he let on.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I'm tired of people saying he didn't get piranha plant when in reddit the day before the direct he said piranha plant. Vergeben post on Gamefaqs and REDDIT. He said himself when he gained clout.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
That's true, indeed. Jon has got some interesting info, considering that he got Ridley right before E3, Simon Belmont, King K. Rool before the 8.8.2018 Smash Direct, and said Isabelle would be her OWN unique newcomer instead of an echo fighter. He has been talkative about Geno lately, which really makes me believe that Geno may be our next Square rep for DLC; Jon also guessed the correct FF titles coming to the Switch, so he's got some sources that involve Square, as well, and Geno IS Square's property. This one's a little off-topic but still backs up the evidence, and I believe it was Jon who always did this, but he knew exactly when the 8.8.2018 and 11.1.2018 Smash Directs were going to happen. In case he got into trouble with Nintendo, Jon always posted a picture of Otters on his Twitter whenever a Direct was coming up in a few days, and even before the 11.1.2018 Direct was announced, he posted another one and it was announced a little later that a Smash Direct would be held on November 1, 2018. This makes me believe that he's got some sources, too, and if he keeps talking about Geno, then he might actually be coming for DLC.
Has Jon just been talking about Geno on the GameExplain videos or does he post stuff on Twitter? Also, when he was predicting Ridley, Simon etc. Did he say with certainty that they'd be in, or just that he thought they'd be in?

It does seem a bit odd that he's got so many things right, but it could just be coincidental. Hopefully it actually means he's coming.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
3 rereleases in 10 years with the SNES Classic selling 6 million copies worldwide says otherwise. I feel like this point should be brought up way more often. Top 20 in Virtual Console twice is a big deal.
Before the SNES Classic, it was recorded that Super Mario RPG sold a total of 7.42 million sales. If we're counting the SNES Classic with these sales BECAUSE they include Super Mario RPG, then that would make Super Mario RPG have a total of over 13.42 million sales. It really makes me laugh when some Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi RPG fans say Super Mario RPG was the Mario RPG that did the "worst". (Yes, people told me that it was a failure of an RPG.) Last time I remembered, the game itself outsold EACH and every M&L + Paper Mario game. The game that got close to Super Mario RPG's sales was Super Paper Mario, which sold a total of over 5 million units. Oh, and I AM a fan of all three Mario RPG franchises, and I can say that Super Mario RPG definitely did the best out of all them and deserves a true sequel, or a remake for the Switch. Paper Jam's sales are only about 300,000+ and Color Splash's sales only sold about 160,000+... This is VERY bad, and it's only been 2-3 years since these two have been released to the public; eventually, the Mario & Luigi RPG series won't have anymore games to remake; it's clear that AlphaDream is running out of ideas. After seeing the M&L RPG series go downhill, ESPECIALLY Paper Mario, this would be the perfect time to revive Super Mario RPG. It's very clear that Super Mario RPG DOES matter to Nintendo.

What if Square, Nintendo, AND AlphaDream took part in the revival of Super Mario RPG? That would probably be one of the greatest things that has ever happened to the Mario RPG series. AlphaDream made great stories with Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, and Bowser's Inside Story... BUT, could you image if Square and AlphaDream created the story for Super Mario RPG 2? I'd like to see the beautiful outcome of a story for SMRPG 2.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Has Jon just been talking about Geno on the GameExplain videos or does he post stuff on Twitter? Also, when he was predicting Ridley, Simon etc. Did he say with certainty that they'd be in, or just that he thought they'd be in?

It does seem a bit odd that he's got so many things right, but it could just be coincidental. Hopefully it actually means he's coming.
Yes out of all of them who said Geno has no choice he was the only one to say Geno in one video before a direct and still is saying Geno during the talk of possible DLC characters. Plus he clearly knows stuff or has a source. He did get stuff right about the game before too, not sure about this but i believe he said piana plant once.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Yeah, he's talked about Geno in videos. I'd say a notable one is their DLC picks for characters prediction discussion video where Jon does throw out there he's "predicting" Geno as one of his five picks.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What if Square, Nintendo, AND AlphaDream took part in the revival of Super Mario RPG? That would probably be one of the greatest things that has ever happened to the Mario RPG series. AlphaDream made great stories with Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, and Bowser's Inside Story... BUT, could you image if Square and AlphaDream created the story for Super Mario RPG 2? I'd like to see the beautiful outcome of a story for SMRPG 2.
Actually, Alpha Dream was founded with several people who worked on SMRPG and other Square games, including SMRPG director Yoshihiko Maekawa.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd like to see a remake of Mario RPG on the switch. Expanded world, maybe more characters and items. The whole works.

Or a sequel would probably be even better

Years ago there were talks from people about doing something. But nothing has come from it so far

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Before the SNES Classic, it was recorded that Super Mario RPG sold a total of 7.42 million sales. If we're counting the SNES Classic with these sales BECAUSE they include Super Mario RPG, then that would make Super Mario RPG have a total of over 13.42 million sales. It really makes me laugh when some Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi RPG fans say Super Mario RPG was the Mario RPG that did the "worst". (Yes, people told me that it was a failure of an RPG.) Last time I remembered, the game itself outsold EACH and every M&L + Paper Mario game. The game that got close to Super Mario RPG's sales was Super Paper Mario, which sold a total of over 5 million units. Oh, and I AM a fan of all three Mario RPG franchises, and I can say that Super Mario RPG definitely did the best out of all them and deserves a true sequel, or a remake for the Switch. Paper Jam's sales are only about 300,000+ and Color Splash's sales only sold about 160,000+... This is VERY bad, and it's only been 2-3 years since these two have been released to the public; eventually, the Mario & Luigi RPG series won't have anymore games to remake; it's clear that AlphaDream is running out of ideas. After seeing the M&L RPG series go downhill, ESPECIALLY Paper Mario, this would be the perfect time to revive Super Mario RPG. It's very clear that Super Mario RPG DOES matter to Nintendo.

Just to add to this, here's a quote from Square-Enix back in 2017: "We base our development resource allocations on the unique attributes of each platform. In particular, Nintendo Switch makes it easier for us to leverage our back catalog of assets and expertise, so we want to be proactive in creating new IP and rebooting past titles for that platform."

Here's another quote from June: "Square Enix has decided that it wants to focus on original titles for the Switch. If Octopath Traveler does well and this is something that appeals to fans, we want to focus on Switch. Please pick up the Switch if you want to play games like Octopath Traveler ... There are several other titles that we're currently working on for Switch. If you could just wait a bit longer, we'll work with Nintendo and announce them in the future."

All interesting stuff. I think that first quote could be good news for SMRPG and maybe even Chrono. Based on the more recent quote, we could also be sleeping on an Octopath character for Square's DLC or even a completely original character that is currently unannounced. Here's hoping for Geno with a Pit-like redesign to go along with a SMRPG reboot!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Why not both? Go the Crash/Spyro route but take it a step further and remake RPG from the ground up but make SMRPG 2 to go with it.

It will help introduce new players to the first game and then provide a sequel to continue the story.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Jon has been talking a lot about Geno in a few videos, and even when people doubt him, he still talks about Geno. In one newcomer prediction before the 9.13.2018 Nintendo Direct, Geno and Isabelle were also talked about in that video; he usually goes over characters and stuff in predictions, sometimes in other places, as well. If Jon was talking about Geno before the 9.13.2018 Direct, it makes me get the feeling that he thought he was going to show up due to all the FF titles being announced, and he knew about the FF games, which could've gave him the thought that Geno would be showing up after the FF titles were revealed because Geno is Square's property, after all, and could've been a good time to reveal Geno after the Square Enix presentation; obviously it didn't happen because of Isabelle being revealed to hype us up for the new Animal Crossing... HOWEVER, don't lose hope just yet, BECAUSE Isabelle was also talked about by Jon in the prediction video before the 9.13.2018 Nintendo Direct, which really did give me the feeling that Jon does have some sources.

As for Simon and Ridley, I'm not too sure about them, but many told me that he talked about them before their reveals. And yes, I am actually serious that he has been giving out hints about upcoming Directs with posting pictures of Otters on his Twitter. Jon mostly talks about Geno with DLC, and I don't think he even said that he'd be in base, he said that Geno would be more likely for DLC. Right now, I'm trusting Jon.

D

Deleted member

Just to add to this, here's a quote from Square-Enix back in 2017: "We base our development resource allocations on the unique attributes of each platform. In particular, Nintendo Switch makes it easier for us to leverage our back catalog of assets and expertise, so we want to be proactive in creating new IP and rebooting past titles for that platform."

Here's another quote from June: "Square Enix has decided that it wants to focus on original titles for the Switch. If Octopath Traveler does well and this is something that appeals to fans, we want to focus on Switch. Please pick up the Switch if you want to play games like Octopath Traveler ... There are several other titles that we're currently working on for Switch. If you could just wait a bit longer, we'll work with Nintendo and announce them in the future."

All interesting stuff. I think that first quote could be good news for SMRPG and maybe even Chrono. Based on the more recent quote, we could also be sleeping on an Octopath character for Square's DLC or even a completely original character that is currently unannounced. Here's hoping for Geno with a Pit-like redesign to go along with a SMRPG reboot!
Nah man, for the Square Enix rep, it has to be Geno :)

D

Deleted member

Another small thing I want to point out about Jon's predictions. Here is a quote from him - "I think that if Nintendo announces DLC for Smash Ultimate, they would start with Geno." Yes, Piranha Plant is the first DLC, but I think they made it DLC because they didn't want to delay the game and Piranha Plant was intended for the base roster, but they didn't finish it on time. Also, Vergeben said that the Square Enix character would be the first DLC character, and Jon "thinks" that Geno will be the first DLC character :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just had a thought, isn't Geno kinda perfect for a recurring character role in a potential SMRPG series? From what we have seen, when Square makes sequels they tend to star entirely new characters completely separate from the old, at least when it comes to Final Fantasy. This logic is part of the reason I always believed that if there was going to be a SMRPG sequel, it would star a mostly new cast of characters, with the exception of Mario(For obvious reasons). But I always believed that Geno would still find ways to reappear in a major role, especially if he makes it into Smash. But I just realized, and this is something we can sometimes forget, "Geno" is not the doll. Well, the doll is named Geno, but you get what I mean. What I am saying is that Geno could still make his way into new games, but not always in the same form, both from a story and gameplay perspective.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I agree with a lot of things you said. I'm not being biased of anything, but from my perspective, Geno seems as if he's the most likely rep. Remember that Sakurai and the fans have been wanting him for 10-17 years; if Sakurai gets Nintendo on board, then I think Nintendo might be choosing Geno. However, I might be shooting myself in the foot and going a little overboard with that I just said. I have to say this: Geno is a half Square and Nintendo character, I think he would be the most logical sense because he is cheaper than Chrono and an Octopath Traveler character, also considering that Square and Nintendo made Geno together, Square owns them but Nintendo knows Geno and Mallow would be the cheapest third-parties from Square to achieve so easily. Slime would be very expensive and a little weird; DQ XI isn't coming to the Switch for quite sometime, nor is there even an official release date; some say it's late 2018 or mid 2019, and if we're getting the Square character as DLC first, then why would they use Slime to promote the game early? I'd be surprised if Slime did get chosen over Geno.

I'd actually be surprised if Sora got in over Geno, but people are are missing the point that Sora is NO LONGER a Square rep. Here's a good example: Sora and Donkey Kong really have the same property rights going on. Donkey Kong was originally made and owned by Rare, now he's 100% owned by Nintendo because Rare gave Nintendo the Donkey Kong characters. It was completely confirmed that Disney owns Sora 100%, which makes him a Disney rep and no longer a Square rep. Donkey Kong would be considered a Nintendo rep now, and Sora would be considered a Disney rep now. And like I said before with Slime, Kingdom Hearts 3 is not coming to the Switch, nor is it even happening. The KH3 Director said that he has no plans on wanting KH3 on the Switch until Xbox/PS4's KH3 releases in January, which means it would take a long time for the game to port on the Switch; even Square said they wanted it on Switch, and if they knew it was coming to the Switch, they wouldn't say anything because you know how they are with their own leaks? They're very strict. If Nintendo doesn't see Sora being on a major Nintendo console like Chrono or Geno were with the SNES, then they're not gonna waste their time with using millions of money to buy Sora's rights to get in Smash, remember that they get no benefit out of Sora either. Until Sora is on a major console, like the Switch, then I can see Sora coming for DLC. Does this mean I am against Sora's inclusion? Absolutely not, I'd be fine with it, but it's very unlikely.

Geno's been wanted for years and has a huge fanbase, especially in Japan because he did nail #3 on an old Japan Brawl poll back from 2006; Sonic and Mega Man were above Geno, that's INSANE. Geno's inclusion would make Square and Nintendo so much money, I mean, Super Mario RPG gained so much popularity over the years, and don't forget that it was also on the SNES Classic and acknowledged by Nintendo's Twitter earlier this year. Everybody would be buying Geno, that includes his DLC character and amiibo; his profit would go to Nintendo and Square, 50% of the profit for each company. They would be making the wrong move if they chose another Square character because Geno's been the most wanted Square rep for ages, even more wanted than Cloud, and Geno's popularity has insanely peaked because of being a wanted newcomer Smash Ultimate. Geno belongs in Nintendo games, this is his final chance. NOW, could you imagine if they got Geno and Mallow for DLC? That'd be great, but it's unlikely... however, if they do get Mallow, I'd so love him to be a part of Geno's final smash.

Sorry for the long post.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Talking about this on another site, but apparently along with all the other problems with getting DQ into the game that fatmanonice has mentioned, the composer is also legendarily stingy about lending out even the MIDI music for Dragon Quest.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Talking about this on another site, but apparently along with all the other problems with getting DQ into the game that fatmanonice has mentioned, the composer is also legendarily stingy about lending out even the MIDI music for Dragon Quest.
On first look, you don't think of all of the intricacies of getting these characters. If you're getting the character, you also need music, you need to be able to make an Amiibo. You'd need to have permission for all of those things. It really puts it in perspective when you have to ask a third party company for permission for all of these things. When Smash already has rights for Geno, they have nothing for either Sora or DQ. God, I hope this is a sign.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's GameXplain that's getting my hopes up for Geno, which is funny, considering I don't like them at all. Jon has literally been getting everything on-point lately and I'm more than certain that he has sources and is trying to pretend like he's just guessing stuff.

Wasn't he SUPER confident in Simon way back before/during Verge's initial leaks? And didn't he correctly guess most of the classic FF games coming to Switch, including FF7? I don't think the dude has incorrectly guessed something yet.
He guessed Shadow as a semi clone. That didn't end up happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom