• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I agree with a lot of things you said. I'm not being biased of anything, but from my perspective, Geno seems as if he's the most likely rep. Remember that Sakurai and the fans have been wanting him for 10-17 years; if Sakurai gets Nintendo on board, then I think Nintendo might be choosing Geno. However, I might be shooting myself in the foot and going a little overboard with that I just said. I have to say this: Geno is a half Square and Nintendo character, I think he would be the most logical sense because he is cheaper than Chrono and an Octopath Traveler character, also considering that Square and Nintendo made Geno together, Square owns them but Nintendo knows Geno and Mallow would be the cheapest third-parties from Square to achieve so easily. Slime would be very expensive and a little weird; DQ XI isn't coming to the Switch for quite sometime, nor is there even an official release date; some say it's late 2018 or mid 2019, and if we're getting the Square character as DLC first, then why would they use Slime to promote the game early? I'd be surprised if Slime did get chosen over Geno.

I'd actually be surprised if Sora got in over Geno, but people are are missing the point that Sora is NO LONGER a Square rep. Here's a good example: Sora and Donkey Kong really have the same property rights going on. Donkey Kong was originally made and owned by Rare, now he's 100% owned by Nintendo because Rare gave Nintendo the Donkey Kong characters. It was completely confirmed that Disney owns Sora 100%, which makes him a Disney rep and no longer a Square rep. Donkey Kong would be considered a Nintendo rep now, and Sora would be considered a Disney rep now. And like I said before with Slime, Kingdom Hearts 3 is not coming to the Switch, nor is it even happening. The KH3 Director said that he has no plans on wanting KH3 on the Switch until Xbox/PS4's KH3 releases in January, which means it would take a long time for the game to port on the Switch; even Square said they wanted it on Switch, and if they knew it was coming to the Switch, they wouldn't say anything because you know how they are with their own leaks? They're very strict. If Nintendo doesn't see Sora being on a major Nintendo console like Chrono or Geno were with the SNES, then they're not gonna waste their time with using millions of money to buy Sora's rights to get in Smash, remember that they get no benefit out of Sora either. Until Sora is on a major console, like the Switch, then I can see Sora coming for DLC. Does this mean I am against Sora's inclusion? Absolutely not, I'd be fine with it, but it's very unlikely.

Geno's been wanted for years and has a huge fanbase, especially in Japan because he did nail #3 on an old Japan Brawl poll back from 2006; Sonic and Mega Man were above Geno, that's INSANE. Geno's inclusion would make Square and Nintendo so much money, I mean, Super Mario RPG gained so much popularity over the years, and don't forget that it was also on the SNES Classic and acknowledged by Nintendo's Twitter earlier this year. Everybody would be buying Geno, that includes his DLC character and amiibo; his profit would go to Nintendo and Square, 50% of the profit for each company. They would be making the wrong move if they chose another Square character because Geno's been the most wanted Square rep for ages, even more wanted than Cloud, and Geno's popularity has insanely peaked because of being a wanted newcomer Smash Ultimate. Geno belongs in Nintendo games, this is his final chance. NOW, could you imagine if they got Geno and Mallow for DLC? That'd be great, but it's unlikely... however, if they do get Mallow, I'd so love him to be a part of Geno's final smash.

Sorry for the long post.
And Mario doesn't have a cameo in a new Wreckit-Ralph movie, and Nintendo and Universal are supporting each other, and Disney and Universal are major rivals. Sora is even more unlikely to happen now

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Really? What video was that?
I think it was one of the weekly round up videos.
He said Shadow might happen, but he was only 100% sure about Ken when coming to echo fighters
Yeah, but unless I missed something, he's not 100% sure of Geno either. There's a lot going in his favor, and Jon clearly had info at least at some point, but after shadow, I'm taking his guesses as guesses and not assuming anything else just to be safe.

D

Deleted member

I think it was one of the weekly round up videos.

Yeah, but unless I missed something, he's not 100% sure of Geno either. There's a lot going in his favor, and Jon clearly had info at least at some point, but after shadow, I'm taking his guesses as guesses and not assuming anything else just to be safe.
Then I am sure you missed something. For Shadow, he said "It might happen, but I am not 100% sure." For Ken, he said "I think Ken is going to happen." For Geno, he says the same thing with Ken - "I think he is going to happen."

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I agree with a lot of things you said. I'm not being biased of anything, but from my perspective, Geno seems as if he's the most likely rep. Remember that Sakurai and the fans have been wanting him for 10-17 years; if Sakurai gets Nintendo on board, then I think Nintendo might be choosing Geno. However, I might be shooting myself in the foot and going a little overboard with that I just said. I have to say this: Geno is a half Square and Nintendo character, I think he would be the most logical sense because he is cheaper than Chrono and an Octopath Traveler character, also considering that Square and Nintendo made Geno together, Square owns them but Nintendo knows Geno and Mallow would be the cheapest third-parties from Square to achieve so easily. Slime would be very expensive and a little weird; DQ XI isn't coming to the Switch for quite sometime, nor is there even an official release date; some say it's late 2018 or mid 2019, and if we're getting the Square character as DLC first, then why would they use Slime to promote the game early? I'd be surprised if Slime did get chosen over Geno.

I'd actually be surprised if Sora got in over Geno, but people are are missing the point that Sora is NO LONGER a Square rep. Here's a good example: Sora and Donkey Kong really have the same property rights going on. Donkey Kong was originally made and owned by Rare, now he's 100% owned by Nintendo because Rare gave Nintendo the Donkey Kong characters. It was completely confirmed that Disney owns Sora 100%, which makes him a Disney rep and no longer a Square rep. Donkey Kong would be considered a Nintendo rep now, and Sora would be considered a Disney rep now. And like I said before with Slime, Kingdom Hearts 3 is not coming to the Switch, nor is it even happening. The KH3 Director said that he has no plans on wanting KH3 on the Switch until Xbox/PS4's KH3 releases in January, which means it would take a long time for the game to port on the Switch; even Square said they wanted it on Switch, and if they knew it was coming to the Switch, they wouldn't say anything because you know how they are with their own leaks? They're very strict. If Nintendo doesn't see Sora being on a major Nintendo console like Chrono or Geno were with the SNES, then they're not gonna waste their time with using millions of money to buy Sora's rights to get in Smash, remember that they get no benefit out of Sora either. Until Sora is on a major console, like the Switch, then I can see Sora coming for DLC. Does this mean I am against Sora's inclusion? Absolutely not, I'd be fine with it, but it's very unlikely.

Geno's been wanted for years and has a huge fanbase, especially in Japan because he did nail #3 on an old Japan Brawl poll back from 2006; Sonic and Mega Man were above Geno, that's INSANE. Geno's inclusion would make Square and Nintendo so much money, I mean, Super Mario RPG gained so much popularity over the years, and don't forget that it was also on the SNES Classic and acknowledged by Nintendo's Twitter earlier this year. Everybody would be buying Geno, that includes his DLC character and amiibo; his profit would go to Nintendo and Square, 50% of the profit for each company. They would be making the wrong move if they chose another Square character because Geno's been the most wanted Square rep for ages, even more wanted than Cloud, and Geno's popularity has insanely peaked because of being a wanted newcomer Smash Ultimate. Geno belongs in Nintendo games, this is his final chance. NOW, could you imagine if they got Geno and Mallow for DLC? That'd be great, but it's unlikely... however, if they do get Mallow, I'd so love him to be a part of Geno's final smash.

Sorry for the long post.
How was Donkey Kong created by Rare?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
no, jon has been fairly certain about geno (saying that it's his time and what not)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I think the better example is that Rare made Diddy Kong but it was always Nintendo's character from the start.

The same can be said with Square Enix designing everything for Kingdom Hearts but they have always been Disney characters first and foremost.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bravely default did have 2 recurring characters. But still had a major role for the others, even the npc's.

D

Deleted member

The modern Little Mac design was made by Next Level Games, but you wouldn’t say Next Level created Little Mac.
But we can say that Rare originally created Donkey Kong, but he is owned by Nintendo, or a better example as SSGuy mentioned, Rare created Diddy Kong, but Diddy Kong is owned by Nintendo. Same thing with Sora - he was created by Square Enix, but he is owned by Disney

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But we can say that Rare originally created Donkey Kong, but he is owned by Nintendo, or a better example as SSGuy mentioned, Rare created Diddy Kong, but Diddy Kong is owned by Nintendo. Same thing with Sora - he was created by Square Enix, but he is owned by Disney
Again, we can’t say Rare created Donkey Kong because they didn’t. Diddy or K. Rool or Dixie or Dark Samus all work, just not Donkey Kong.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Donkey Kong was originally created by Nintendo. You wouldn't say the Arcade / NES DK games were made by Rare :p

The modern design is based on Rare's, but Nintendo owns it. They own the other DK characters as well because, well, they're DK characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again, we can’t say Rare created Donkey Kong because they didn’t. Diddy or K. Rool or Dixie or Dark Samus all work, just not Donkey Kong.
Alright, well there you go. Just because a character is created by one company doesn't mean that that same company owns the rights to that character

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, after thinking about that whole "Geno playing different roles due to his nature as a spirit" spiel, it has made me wonder what sort of other forms he could posses. They would likely have to be a sort of humanoid toy to at least resemble his first form, since you don't want to abandon his original design entirely. The only other thing I can think of that fits that description is a nutcracker, which in all honesty I think would be a good fit for a variation on Geno. You would still keep the wooden figure look as well as the gun style attack, and I think Geno could wear the nutcracker solider look very well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright, well there you go. Just because a character is created by one company doesn't mean that that same company owns the rights to that character
I was never saying that, I’m well aware that Sora’s owned by Disney. I was just nitpicking incorrect statements

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
You know, after thinking about that whole "Geno playing different roles due to his nature as a spirit" spiel, it has made me wonder what sort of other forms he could posses. They would likely have to be a sort of humanoid toy to at least resemble his first form, since you don't want to abandon his original design entirely. The only other thing I can think of that fits that description is a nutcracker, which in all honesty I think would be a good fit for a variation on Geno. You would still keep the wooden figure look as well as the gun style attack, and I think Geno could wear the nutcracker solider look very well.
I always liked that aspect of "Geno". He/It potentially could "possess" inanimate objects of many types and I always found myself brainstorming ideas for the character in a 'fanfic'-esque ways. Possessing other toys, dolls, instruments of music, etc.

The more I think about it, the more sad I get for Mario RPG not becoming a series like Paper Mario or the Mario& Luigi series.

:bowser:.

D

Deleted member

I always liked that aspect of "Geno". He/It potentially could "possess" inanimate objects of many types and I always found myself brainstorming ideas for the character in a 'fanfic'-esque ways. Possessing other toys, dolls, instruments of music, etc.

The more I think about it, the more sad I get for Mario RPG not becoming a series like Paper Mario or the Mario& Luigi series.

:bowser:.
That could change if Geno enters Super Smash Bros Ultimate :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ironically, this kind of means his inclusion as a spirit in Smash is, in fact, perfect representation of his character :p.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ironically, this kind of means his inclusion as a spirit in Smash is, in fact, perfect representation of his character :p.
I did not mean it that way, but it was the best way to word it. Also, I don't think Geno can posses living things, so it is not entirely perfect.

D

Deleted member

Perfect representation of Geno's character would be making him playable, and that really fits his character, because he is very highly requested :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Jon is definitely suspicious. I've been sure of it since the Kirby's Epic Yarn port for 3DS got shown off. Who predicts an Epic Yarn port in 2018?!
That's my thought. A port of an 8 year old game on a dying system? Luigi's Mansion made sense because 1. fans has been begging for it for years, 2. it wasn't available on any virtual console and 3. Luigi's Mansion 3 was on the way. The Epic Yarn release came out of nowhere. Yoshi's Wooly World 3DS made sense because the Wii U version sold terribly because, well, the Wii U sold terribly and DKC Returns 3D made sense because it was about 8 months before Tropical Freeze. Epic Yarn was totally out of the blue.

TBone06

Smash Ace
That's my thought. A port of an 8 year old game on a dying system? Luigi's Mansion made sense because 1. fans has been begging for it for years, 2. it wasn't available on any virtual console and 3. Luigi's Mansion 3 was on the way. The Epic Yarn release came out of nowhere. Yoshi's Wooly World 3DS made sense because the Wii U version sold terribly because, well, the Wii U sold terribly and DKC Returns 3D made sense because it was about 8 months before Tropical Freeze. Epic Yarn was totally out of the blue.
Well, it still may be coincidental, but there is no question something is suspicious about that. I'd like to believe he has some credibility. You're right, a port of an eight year old game on a dying system makes little sense to the casual gamer and honestly, little sense to a business.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Mario RPG 2.

The Spirit formerly known as Geno takes the form of a Barbie Doll

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
no, jon has been fairly certain about geno (saying that it's his time and what not)
I guess I'm just thinking even if he does have a source and isn't just guessing, we have to apply the same logic to him that we have to spawnwave and others. Which is to say he may have been fed leak bait. I think Geno is the most likely dlc character, but if we write off other insiders as having been fed leak bait and then use Jon's info as evidence, especially when he has not specifically said he has a source, then we're being blinded by bias. It's definitely encouraging that he's confident on Geno, but this is no more evidence for Geno than spawnwave is for Sora and hitagi is for dq, regardless of the fact that Geno is the most likely of the three.

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
I took a listen to the Forest Maze again with the pitch down a little bit. Always a fantastic tune as long as you dont listen to it too often.

if it turns out that Geno isnt in, I would still be happy if they included the Forest Maze song for the new stage or for the mario stages.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Jon is definitely suspicious. I've been sure of it since the Kirby's Epic Yarn port for 3DS got shown off. Who predicts an Epic Yarn port in 2018?!
You can predict every classic FF game on the Switch, but you can't just predict that FF8 won't be included in the list.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm going to be more than a little miffed if another square enix character gets in before Geno. People keep saying kingdom hearts and dq are way more popular than Geno so they would be in first. But so are Halo, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Mass Effect, Overwatch, and so many more. Yet Geno is always the one in the top of smash ballots while "more popular characters" aren't even mentioned. They need to realize that what matters is the smash Bros fanbase. We'll get Geno before a dq character for the same reason we got megaman before Ryu. What matters most is what smash fans want, and not what's more popular in general. And what Smash fans want is Geno, not Slime.

Edit: Obviously I mean generally speaking. I know some people want slime and not Geno.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If Geno is our Square rep, here's what I think we should get from his DLC pack:

DLC Pack 1
Newcomer: Geno

Stage: Vista Hill
Why Vista Hill? Well, not many know the name of this area, but this has got to be one of the most recognized areas in all of Super Mario RPG, right next to recognition with the Forest Maze. Remember that this area is literally on the box art of the game, it's even on the title screen. Mario just going to Vista Hill and staring at Bowser's Keep from a far distance, along with a jump, is such a historical area and moment to Super Mario RPG. Having Bowser's Keep with Exor in the background when you fight? That would be so awesome. There are even stages with castles in the background, such as Peach's Castle 64, Bridge of Eldin, EVEN ULTIMATE'S BATTLEFIELD! I think we should keep Vista Hill the way it looks because some stages completely stay to their original looks, including the ones with 16-bit sprites, so Super Mario RPG's stage should stay with its original look. Forest Maze would be nice, but I would prefer to fight on Vista Hill because that hill alone practically represents Super Mario RPG, and fighting with Exor in the background would look so awesome. If Sakurai can manage to pull this off, maybe at a certain time, Exor can fall from the sky and land in Bowser's Keep with a huge, shattering quake and just stays there, watching us fight... oh man, that would be chills and awesome. The background could change as well, from being a red-cloudy sky or shifting into the black and blue aurora flash with the darkened sky.

Don't worry about these spoilers, these are just the visuals of Vista Hill. I made them in spoilers so they wouldn't take up so much space.

Music Tracks:
Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (Remix)
Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (OG)
Fight Against Koopa (Remix)
Fight Against an Armed Boss
Fight Against Monsters
Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster
Still, the Road is Full of Dangers!
Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure
Let's Go Down the Wine River (Optional)
Slope (Optional)

I am hoping that the Beware the Forest's Mushrooms remix gets a similar remix like Gangplank Galleon and the new Delfino Plaza remix, such as more sped up and exciting. These soundtracks would be much easier to get than the Final Fantasy VII tracks because the FF7 composer is very strict and expensive to make a deal with, hence why we only still have two tracks, and even Square has a difficult time getting soundtracks off the FF7 composer because he isn't affiliated with Square anymore. Yoko Shimomura is the SMRPG composer, and she already has her soundtrack in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, so getting these soundtracks from her and Square shouldn't be too difficult at all.

This is what I think we should get. If any of you guys have suggestions, I would like to hear. :)

D

Deleted member

I guess I'm just thinking even if he does have a source and isn't just guessing, we have to apply the same logic to him that we have to spawnwave and others. Which is to say he may have been fed leak bait. I think Geno is the most likely dlc character, but if we write off other insiders as having been fed leak bait and then use Jon's info as evidence, especially when he has not specifically said he has a source, then we're being blinded by bias. It's definitely encouraging that he's confident on Geno, but this is no more evidence for Geno than spawnwave is for Sora and hitagi is for dq, regardless of the fact that Geno is the most likely of the three.
It's just that Jon specifically has had accurate predictions, like Ridley finally being playable, Isabelle coming as her own character, FF 7, 9, 10, and another FF game (can't remember the name) coming to the switch, and not FF 8, an Epic Yarn port coming to the 3DS in 2018, and he "predicts" that Geno will be playable, I think it is more evidence towards his inclusion, especially combined with all the other evidence we have so far

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If Geno is our Square rep, here's what I think we should get from his DLC pack:

DLC Pack 1
Newcomer: Geno

Stage: Vista Hill
Why Vista Hill? Well, not many know the name of this area, but this has got to be one of the most recognized areas in all of Super Mario RPG, right next to recognition with the Forest Maze. Remember that this area is literally on the box art of the game, it's even on the title screen. Mario just going to Vista Hill and staring at Bowser's Keep from a far distance, along with a jump, is such a historical area and moment to Super Mario RPG. Having Bowser's Keep with Exor in the background when you fight? That would be so awesome. There are even stages with castles in the background, such as Peach's Castle 64, Bridge of Eldin, EVEN ULTIMATE'S BATTLEFIELD! I think we should keep Vista Hill the way it looks because some stages completely stay to their original looks, including the ones with 16-bit sprites, so Super Mario RPG's stage should stay with its original look. Forest Maze would be nice, but I would prefer to fight on Vista Hill because that hill alone practically represents Super Mario RPG, and fighting with Exor in the background would look so awesome. If Sakurai can manage to pull this off, maybe at a certain time, Exor can fall from the sky and land in Bowser's Keep with a huge, shattering quake and just stays there, watching us fight... oh man, that would be chills and awesome. The background could change as well, from being a red-cloudy sky or shifting into the black and blue aurora flash with the darkened sky.

Don't worry about these spoilers, these are just the visuals of Vista Hill. I made them in spoilers so they wouldn't take up so much space.

Music Tracks:
Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (Remix)
Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (OG)
Fight Against Koopa (Remix)
Fight Against an Armed Boss
Fight Against Monsters
Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster
Still, the Road is Full of Dangers!
Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure
Let's Go Down the Wine River (Optional)
Slope (Optional)

I am hoping that the Beware the Forest's Mushrooms remix gets a similar remix like Gangplank Galleon and the new Delfino Plaza remix, such as more sped up and exciting. These soundtracks would be much easier to get than the Final Fantasy VII tracks because the FF7 composer is very strict and expensive to make a deal with, hence why we only still have two tracks, and even Square has a difficult time getting soundtracks off the FF7 composer because he isn't affiliated with Square anymore. Yoko Shimomura is the SMRPG composer, and she already has her soundtrack in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, so getting these soundtracks from her and Square shouldn't be too difficult at all.

This is what I think we should get. If any of you guys have suggestions, I would like to hear. :)
Pretty cool. It is certainly an iconic local(Despite the lack of discussion about it) and it would include one of the most iconic parts of the game, Exor stabbed into Bowser's Keep, in all of its glory.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, yet another piece of evidence for Geno I should mention: Piranha Plant's design in Smash Ultimate is the same design as the Piranha Plant's design in the Super Mario RPG Japanese commercial

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Oh yeah, yet another piece of evidence for Geno I should mention: Piranha Plant's design in Smash Ultimate is the same design as the Piranha Plant's design in the Super Mario RPG Japanese commercial
I keep pointing this out. That is wrong. Piranha Plant can be seen with a pot in many different modern games like Mario Party and Mario Kart 8

D

Deleted member

I keep pointing this out. That is wrong. Piranha Plant can be seen with a pot in many different modern games like Mario Party and Mario Kart 8
Care to provide a link? I am curious

Edit: Nevermind, I have seen an image of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom