• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Chrom was a popular pick worldwide. As pointed out before, Marth is the last 100% unique character that was added exclusively based on Japanese demand. Plus, another thing to keep in mind is that all the third party picks have had global appeal. Dragon Quest is overwhelmingly a Japanese favorite based on sales numbers. The series really hasn't had real big success outside Japan since the original at 1.5 million with notable dips for sequels.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest
You single-handedly convinced me DQ makes very little sense. If Nintendo WERE to go through legal hell, I would actually see Sora first, now that I consider it. Kingdom Hearts is at least very popular globally, as opposed to Dragon Quest. Not that I see either, though. But Sora would fit both the 'marketing' and 'global appeal' categories. Though he wouldn't really be an Enix rep.

Congrats, I genuinely didn't know DQ was that underwhelming in the west, lol.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
My only concern regarding Geno is that we are hearing that the SE representative is the first DLC character and I am having a hard time thinking we would get two Mario characters back to back.

Of course everything else I approve of in regards to global popularity and demand over Dragon Quest.

I guess it is only a matter of time before we find out how Nintendo went about DLC picks.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My only concern regarding Geno is that we are hearing that the SE representative is the first DLC character and I am having a hard time thinking we would get two Mario characters back to back.

Of course everything else I approve of in regards to global popularity and demand over Dragon Quest.

I guess it is only a matter of time before we find out how Nintendo went about DLC picks.
Well, they could get around that by notably separating Geno from the rest of the Mario franchise, as have been discussed many times.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
You single-handedly convinced me DQ makes very little sense. If Nintendo WERE to go through legal hell, I would actually see Sora first, now that I consider it. Kingdom Hearts is at least very popular globally, as opposed to Dragon Quest. Not that I see either, though. But Sora would fit both the 'marketing' and 'global appeal' categories. Though he wouldn't really be an Enix rep.

Congrats, I genuinely didn't know DQ was that underwhelming in the west, lol.
When you put it like that...

Like, to get Dragon Quest Nintendo would have to shell out a lot of money to a lot of people for a series that, while beloved in its home country, means next to nothing outside of it. Even if Dragon Quest is a bigger deal than Geno (which I think is inarguable) it's still a lot more effort to get a character from that series than it would our puppet boi.

I'm not totally convinced Geno's in, but I see the logic in it.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I find it interesting that Geno and Chocobo got a Mii costume, but Dragon Quest didn't. Not even something silly like "Slime Hat". I mean, it COULD happen still, but you'd think it would have happened. Mii costumes mean nothing, sure. But I'm sure people in Japan would have bought a Mii Swordfighter outfit if they made one.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
You know, not to bring up hot button issues but if Nintendo is willing to listen to one kid regarding a feather and loin cloth on Mr. Game and Watch, then I am pretty sure they are aware of us and how much we want Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The SE character has been haunting us since like September or something

Hanging over our head like a veil of hope. That may actually be a noose

D

Deleted member

Hmm Geno could be the character but also maybe not.

Let's hang tight still got a chance.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice

At least we will get a swift execution if it's not Geno. Other fanbases might have to wait until 2020.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I just realized something something. Almost every other Square besides Geno would contradict what Sakurai has been trying to do this game if they were to be added.
It has been said before, but Sakurai really tried to tone down on the anime sword fighter problem. The only character we got like that this game was Chrom, and he was an echo. If Sakurai is purposely trying to avoid putting in more characters like that, that is major knock down for so many Square protagonists, including Sora. Sure, his sword looks like a key, but it is still called the Keyblade. As said before, putting in a DQ character makes no financial sense as well as going against Sakurais statement of avoiding character popular in only one region. And the big icon of DQ, Slime, is likely not going to be in because there is no way they would announce 2 mook characters in a row if the Square character is next.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know, I just realized something something. Almost every other Square besides Geno would contradict what Sakurai has been trying to do this game if they were to be added.
It has been said before, but Sakurai really tried to tone down on the anime sword fighter problem. The only character we got like that this game was Chrom, and he was an echo. If Sakurai is purposely trying to avoid putting in more characters like that, that is major knock down for so many Square protagonists, including Sora. Sure, his sword looks like a key, but it is still called the Keyblade. As said before, putting in a DQ character makes no financial sense as well as going against Sakurais statement of avoiding character popular in only one region. And the big icon of DQ, Slime, is likely not going to be in because there is no way they would announce 2 mook characters in a row if the Square character is next.
Problem is, Sakurai’s not picking DLC. We don’t know what Nintendo’s stance is on characters specific to regions or anime swordfighters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Problem is, Sakurai’s not picking DLC. We don’t know what Nintendo’s stance is on characters specific to regions or anime swordfighters.
Fair point, but I do like to think that Nintendo would know all of this info about Sakurai and understand the logic behind it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah this is honestly one of my only hang ups at this point about whether Geno is the DLC.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

Yeah this is honestly one of my only hang ups at this point about whether Geno is the DLC.
I find two Mario characters in a row(one being incredibly, incredibly requested) far more likely than two generic enemies in a row, at least, since the only DQ character that could remotely get American audiences interested is Slime. Any other choice from that series would just be seen as “yet another goddamn anime swordsman” to most people outside Japan.

Geno legitimately has a really neat-looking design that could go over better in that sense even to people that don’t know who he is, plus a completely unique mechanic of timed hits.

And personally, if a DQ rep is in the cards, I absolutely do not think it’d start off the pack, especially when the DQXI Switch port is many months away. Geno at least has the “third big ‘never-ever’ character and a legend in the Smash community” thing going for him. DQ(and Katalina as well, while we’re on the topic) has “they’re huge in Japan” going for them... and not much else.

There really hasn’t been all that much groundswell for a DQ character in Smash before very recently, mainly because DQ doesn’t exactly have many specific named characters to really rally behind. And even now, while I’ll fully admit that some of the DQ talk is from people that legitimately want that franchise in Smash, the vast majority seems to be from people relatively unfamiliar with the series but are aware of its status in Japan, and therefore see a DQ rep as an “inevitability” in comparison to all other potential choices, and not because they actively want to see such a character in Smash.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Worse. Vergeben talked about a SE rep as early as July.

Because I like to beat a dead horse, I rounded the numbers and, of Dragon Quest's 75 million sales, about 5 million (remember, the first sold 1.5 million in the US) were outside Japan so about 7% overall.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Because I like to beat a dead horse, I rounded the numbers and, of Dragon Quest's 75 million sales, about 5 million (remember, the first sold 1.5 million in the US) were outside Japan so about 7% overall.
That is bad. Like, really bad.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Worse. Vergeben talked about a SE rep as early as July.

Oh wow, I didn't think they were that low. Castlevania is pretty niche nowadays but I'm pretty sure it's done better than that.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I don't think "two in a row" is a very important factor for which DLC packs are released first. There are way more important reasons such as fighter development, legalities with third-party companies, and strategic marketing.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, if I wanted a character that would light Japan on fire yet also has a decent following in the west (especially recently), I'd go with Monster Hunter.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh wow, I didn't think they were that low. Castlevania is pretty niche nowadays but I'm pretty sure it's done better than that.
It's even more notable when you compare it to Final Fantasy.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

Two in a row also doesn't matter because it's pretty obvious that the Plant™ is a joke character and was never meant to be taken super seriously to begin with. It was for fun, not serious franchise representation because it's definitely the elephant in the room when it comes to the entire cast.

Last edited:

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
Guys with how you're wording all this possible evidence against Dragon Quest, it's sounding more like things are pointing towards our doom.

We're panicking too early, for the love of Sakurai- calm. down.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Guys with how you're wording all this possible evidence against Dragon Quest, it's sounding more like things are pointing towards our doom.

I don't get that feeling, and i certainly don't think anyone else is exactly panicking.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman

What makes you say that? I've been pretty insistent that Geno would get snubbed for Dragon Quest, especially if Nintendo was making those choices instead of Sakurai, but the poor sales of Dragon Quest in the West don't paint a particularly profitable picture for DLC.

Really at this point I think it's a matter of whether or not there will even be a Square Enix rep as DLC, which Imran Kahn and Vergeben have both stated. Could it still be Erdrick or Slime? Oh absolutely, and I wouldn't even be mad; Dragon Quest is as important to RPGs as Final Fantasy, but now I think Geno is back in the running.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
We are under the assumption that Nintendo is a business and knows what will make money. DQ will not make nearly as much money if it is less requested, that's blatantly obvious.
I guess it depends on if Nintendo actually thinks about what will be the best business move. But judging by their DLC in other recent games, I'm going to say they're pretty smart with DLC.

You know, if I wanted a character that would light Japan on fire yet also has a decent following in the west (especially recently), I'd go with Monster Hunter.
For a Capcom rep, absolutely. I personally feel like MonHun would have a better transition into Smash than the speculated RE rep people assume would be Capcom DLC.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
and Geno has direct ties to their mascot and flagship series. They know Super Mario RPG is a classic among old school gamers and I refuse to believe they would seriously turn down having another Mario character in Smash.

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
Especially one that represents them working with another company for a major game, and a long requested character?
I just... Feel Geno's chances are stacking in our favor?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Let's not forget the Mario RPG games haven't had any representation yet, and with Geno being one of the stars of the original I would think that would open the (thousand-year) door of possibility for Paper Mario's consideration in the future if people want it enough.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Guys I love speculating with you but please try and keep up with things and stop asking to be spoonfed things that have been said so many times almost every day.

If i have to read one more post from someone with a somewhat new account talk about DQ being more popular than Geno im going to lose my mind.

We’re talking about popularity with regards to smash bros here, and in that arena DQ isn’t in the same galaxy as Geno

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Especially one that represents them working with another company for a major game, and a long requested character?
I just... Feel Geno's chances are stacking in our favor?
And if you think about it, not only would Geno represent Nintendo and Square's relationship, but also the first time Nintendo really handed off there Ip's to another company, unless I am mistaken.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
The major stumbling block against Geno has always been his lack of modern relevance. There's no reason for a business to push him; even Dragon Quest DLC would have guaranteed gangbuster sales in Japan if nothing else.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
sakurai is picking dlc out of a list nintendo gave him. he was pretty clear about that lol
But then that runs into the issue of whether Nintendo, as a corporate entity, would ever choose Geno over a proven franchise like Dragon Quest. I love my puppet son but he's still one character versus Japan's most iconic RPG franchise.

D

Deleted member

Something else I want to point out, having Geno in Smash could mean that there could be a remake of Super Mario RPG. Since Square Enix is having a rough year financially, they could partner up with Nintendo and make a remake of Super Mario RPG. Just imagine a remake of Super Mario RPG in the same art style as the remakes of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story! The thought is just mouth-watering, same with the CGI for Geno's reveal trailer

paper roxy

Smash Ace
But then that runs into the issue of whether Nintendo, as a corporate entity, would ever choose Geno over a proven franchise like Dragon Quest. I love my puppet son but he's still one character versus Japan's most iconic RPG franchise.
we've gone over how nintendo has obviously acknowledged geno's popularity (and how he's more relevant now with the SNES classic out) many times lmao

being japan's most iconic rpg franchise doesn't mean anything when you're selling dlc, because you'll only get sales in japan. geno is pretty popular with smash's community worldwide, especially compared to how small dragon quest is in anywhere but japan.

if a rep for a series that only has relevance in japan was gonna be in smash, they would be base roster, not dlc.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
we've gone over how nintendo has obviously acknowledged geno's popularity (and how he's more relevant now with the SNES classic out) many times lmao

being japan's most iconic rpg franchise doesn't mean anything when you're selling dlc, because you'll only get sales in japan. geno is pretty popular with smash's community worldwide, especially compared to how small dragon quest is in anywhere but japan.

True. The Mii costume is as clear as possible an indicator of Geno's popularity; at the very least they wouldn't have put it out if they didn't think it'd make money.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
True. The Mii costume is as clear as possible an indicator of Geno's popularity; at the very least they wouldn't have put it out if they didn't think it'd make money.
they also wouldn't have given it a splash screen (which no other mii costume had)

D

Deleted member

It is just so funny seeing how many points towards Geno's inclusion that a lot of the Smash community is unaware of. Coming here always restores my hope for Geno! I will never lose hope in him to make it :)

D

Deleted member

Definetly a lot of points in Geno's favour.

Not giving up.

Let's hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom