• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Why is everyone saying Geno was deconfirmed? What happened?
I actually feel like this helps Geno, but I'll elaborate. Sakurai tweeted saying Nintendo choose the DLC, and Sakurai picked which on the list Nintendo made, to implement. Some see this as 'Nintendo would never pick Geno', or 'Geno wouldn't make enough money!'

Personally, I see it as a positive, because it seems like Nintendo is aware of Geno's popularity and SMRPG's success.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Really don't know what you guys should take away from this.

I see some people saying third party chances just went way down and others saying that third party chances went way up.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Additionally, SMRPG was on SNES classic, and Nintendo tweeted out an anniversary post for SMRPG in May of this year.
All of this said, this nearly confirms Nintendo is at least somewhat aware of our desire for Geno.
This ! It was just a tweet but I also believe that it was a huge deal. We're not in a situation where Sakurai is the only guy who cares about Geno and Nintendo don't know who he is. They know him and the tweet is a good proof of that. And we're in the era of social medias, they probaly heard people saying how bad they want Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Really don't know what you guys should take away from this.

I see some people saying third party chances just went way down and others saying that third party chances went way up.
Who knows what it means

People suspect Nintendo would most likely only choose "Shill Characters"

But Who knows

TBone06

Smash Ace
You guys realize this means Sora's even less likely, right?
So, one less competition down.
Yeah, Nintendo would have no reason to add Sora unless Kingdom Hearts 3 was going to be released on the Switch. Also, Nintendo clearly knows how demanded Geno is. Comparing Geno and a DQ character, it's a no brainer who the fans would rather have (as a whole).

But realistically, this doesn't change too much. We still know just as little as we did before.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm not sure what to think about Geno now. On one hand, although I've always thought he and Sora could both be in, this tweet is a huge hit against Sora at the game awards. If they just finalized the roster they definitely won't have a trailer ready in a month. On the other hand, I doubt Nintendo would have any reason to make Sakurai add Geno. Overall I think this is bad news for us.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
OK, i've thought about this very thoroughly. As you know -- my friend who is a Nintendo ambassador told me about a week ago there are rumors within NoA of Geno being the Enix DLC. Within NINTENDO.

This may actually be GREAT for Geno. Additionally, SMRPG was on SNES classic, and Nintendo tweeted out an anniversary post for SMRPG in May of this year.
All of this said, this nearly confirms Nintendo is at least somewhat aware of our desire for Geno. Not to mention, Switch-era Nintendo has been somewhat in-touch with fans. The online service was controversial, yes, but they've mostly made smart decisions. It would not surprise me if they thoroughly sorted through polls, the ballots, etc.

If Nintendo knows we want Geno, this is GOOD. They know it would make money.
Oh, something for thought, the Newest Nintendo President of Nintendo basically came into power at the end of 2015, who also put into motion all this change, from the theme park, illumination movie, mobile and indie support.

And then they met with Square.
proceeds to get back on my geno hype train

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I posted this in the General Thread and I should say it here. If you read his text carefully, It is more along the lines that Sakurai was given a list of fighters to pick from what Nintendo put together. Yes it is still Nintendo choosing what Sakurai HAD to pick from.

Our boy may be in a tight spot, but I think he is still sitting pretty gang.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm not sure what to think about Geno now. On one hand, although I've always thought he and Sora could both be in, this tweet is a huge hit against Sora at the game awards. If they just finalized the roster they definitely won't have a trailer ready in a month. On the other hand, I doubt Nintendo would have any reason to make Sakurai add Geno. Overall I think this is bad news for us.
Personally, this adds to Geno quite a bit, for me.

>Me hearing from a brand ambassador that there are rumblings within NoA that Geno is DLC
>Nintendo tweeting about the SMRG 22nd anniversary months ago
>SMRPG being on the SNES mini

Not to mention, Switch-era Nintendo has been RELATIVELY in touch. All this put together tells me they probably know how much we want Geno, and how much we'd pay.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
If Captain Toad or Waluigi make it I'll be happy for their fans. I just don't have much confidence in Nintendo's picking the characters.

TBone06

Smash Ace

>Me hearing from a brand ambassador that there are rumblings within NoA that Geno is DLC

Not to mention, Switch-era Nintendo has been RELATIVELY in touch. All this put together tells me they probably know how much we want Geno, and how much we'd pay.
It's honestly nice seeing someone bring positivity when everyone is running around like a chicken with their heads cut off.

This is true. If what Verge is hearing is true and if this rumour is true, then those two things kind of align. Again, it's just rumours, but it's not game over for us. We have to remember that.

Last edited:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord

Thank you so much for your updates man, it gives me a glitter of hope for our boy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dont lose anything supporting Geno even if he doesnt get in, lol

So im still hoping for him

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I'm still believing we're gonna be DLC, so the next project after that is finding a way to let Nintendo know (even more) that we want a true Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars sequel.

You know, aside from buying Geno in copious amounts haha

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
"I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection"

It sounds like Nintendo decided on a pool of characters for Sakurai to choose from; hopefully Geno was among them.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I wonder why Sakurai said that DLC was chosen too long ago for Rex but that the list was just completed? Perhaps we misread his initial statement and he just meant the base roster. Or, perhaps there was a sudden change in plans for one of the picks to be released later in the year. It's intriguing all around.

Not really sure if it affects Geno positively or negatively, although I initially read it as, "Temper your expectations." That special edition NES Classic with Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest that released in July could bolster Dragon Quest's chances now I suppose.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ario.png
Ana.png

Look at Developer and Publisher

Probably means nothing but funky

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I wonder why Sakurai said that DLC was chosen too long ago for Rex but that the list was just completed? Perhaps we misread his initial statement and he just meant the base roster. Or, perhaps there was a sudden change in plans for one of the picks to be released later in the year. It's intriguing all around.

Not really sure if it affects Geno positively or negatively, although I initially read it as, "Temper your expectations." That special edition NES Classic with Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest that released in July could bolster Dragon Quest's chances now I suppose.
I'm not sure why this was ever a thing to begin with. Sakurai never mentioned dlc with regard to the Rex costume. Rex could easily still end up as a dlc character. Sakurai only ever gave that as an explanation for why he wasn't on the base roster. Regardless, at this point I think this boosts Geno's chances because of Mario RPG on the SNES mini..

Last edited:

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
I had an interesting thought earlier...

Looking at the reveals leading up to Ultimate's release, the non-DLC characters being added had a pattern. Inklings, Ridley, and Daisy. A big new IP with 2 of the largest fan requests all in one swoop. It went from there to the 5 in August, King K. Rool, Chrom, and Dark Samus, and the Smash "revival" IP, Castlevania with the Belmonts. Then, towards the end, the big heavy hitters for casual players, Isabelle and Incineroar, with Ken as a final echo slot.

Now from a business standpoint this makes a lot of sense. Initiating the fan picks first gets people excited and talking about the game, spreading the news and showing off what's there and talking about what might come. Saving the more casual gamer/children fan picks for last means they won't have time to forget about the game before it releases. That's what sells Nintendo the most copies of the game-- essentially, getting the hardcore fans interested and talking early, and then making a push towards the end with more casual stuff to sell tons of copies all at once.

Here's the thing... What if DLC character reveals follow that same structure? Looking at what Vergeben is saying, for example, a Square Enix character, a Minecraft character, +3 others. I think this can follow the exact same pattern of reveals as the pre-release information:

1st reveal: Geno, the long time fan favourite
2nd-4th reveal: another fan choice like Banjo Kazooie perhaps, + 2 more, newer IP's (Maybe Elma from Chronicles X or Bandana Dee)
5th reveal: Steve from Minecraft, to appeal to a wider mass of gamers.

Of course this isn't to say there's any -real- evidence for this, it's purely a guess... But boy is it nice that the pieces of the puzzle fit together like that.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'll give you Geno fans one thing to cling onto. If Nintendo throws us a bone and includes one super fan favorite character on that selection list, they AT THE VERY LEAST have acknowledged Geno's existance this year.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/995680065206784000?lang=en

Not sure if there was a similar tweet from the JP Nintendo twitter, but if so, this is the first time Geno has been acknowledged...in... A LONG ASS TIME lol. I don't think Nintendo even cared to say anything about Super Mario RPG on it's TWENTIETH anniversary but yet for some reason celebrated it's twenty second anniversary.

Take it with a grain of salt, please.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm still confident in Geno's chances regardless of Sakurai's comments. Rex and Pyra/Mythra and Springman were outright deconfirmed during the last direct, so it's very unlikely there will be shill characters like that this time

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I'm still confident in Geno's chances regardless of Sakurai's comments. Rex and Pyra/Mythra and Springman were outright deconfirmed during the last direct, so it's very unlikely there will be shill characters like that this time
Off the top of my head there's Bandanna Dee, Edelgard from FE: Three Houses, a Gen VIII Pokemon, and Bold Luminary from Dragon Quest XI getting picked over Geno due to that game coming to Switch.

Rex and Spring Man getting kicked to the chopping block is really weird though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom