• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Thinking about it, this is the most vital period of waiting yet, mainly for Geno, BWD, and Elma fans. All three groups are waiting with baited breath, literally hoping that their picks aren’t Spirits and are still in the running for DLC. The upside to this final month of uncertainty, however, is that if any of these three specific characters aren’t actually Spirits after all, then them ending up as DLC is 90% certain.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I think GENO is a sure in for DLC ! Sakurai said I hope people who value the DLC char will buy them. If GENO came with the game he would be a weird character for the masses who have never played SMRPG. As DLC the masses who have been waiting for GENO for years will buy him. He will come with a SMRPG stage and music bundle where I can see a few more FF or square songs making it in !! I think we will see GENO next E3 just be patient y'all ⭐

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I became a fan of Geno between the ages of 11-13, when I started getting into RPGs and JRPGs. I saw Super Mario RPG on the Wii Shop and downloaded it since I was a pretty big Mario fan at the time anyway and as soon as I started playing it, I was hooked instantly with the story, amazing music, and instantly became a fan of Geno when I saw his abilities and his overall design. Since then, I have bought an original cartridge of the game for my SNES collection a few years back since I missed out on its original release when I was younger and is probably going to be a game I hold onto for years to come. :grin:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Went through my older messages with one of the original members of the Geno Alliance and this article from 2008 came up:

https://gonintendo.com/?p=34648

10 years later and a lot of information has come out supporting it. This would be really, really weird if this was true but:

-We know there was an honest attempt to get Geno in Brawl.

-"Something" happened.

-Geno was a notable absence because, based on polls and "Sakurai's Journal", he was the only popular character that had absolutely no appearance in the game.

If Geno makes it, I really would like a historical rundown on it because the bits and pieces that have come out over the last decade suggest it would be a really interesting story to tell.

Add in: apparently the article this article linked to is so old that the original site is now defunct. It's moments like this when I feel 70 and not 30...

Last edited:

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Went through my older messages with one of the original members of the Geno Alliance and this article from 2008 came up:

https://gonintendo.com/?p=34648

10 years later and a lot of information has come out supporting it. This would be really, really weird if this was true but:

-We know there was an honest attempt to get Geno in Brawl.

-"Something" happened.

-Geno was a notable absence because, based on polls and "Sakurai's Journal", he was the only popular character that had absolutely no appearance in the game.

If Geno makes it, I really would like a historical rundown on it because the bits and pieces that have come out over the last decade suggest it would be a really interesting story to tell.
Not to mention we have an unused Forest Maze in Brawl's data. Sounds very much unlikely, but I'd also like to hear what even happened during this negotiation and why Geno couldn't make it to the roster after all.

I've heard a lot of rumors, but hearing an official word from at least Nintendo is always better.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Thinking about it, this is the most vital period of waiting yet, mainly for Geno, BWD, and Elma fans. All three groups are waiting with baited breath, literally hoping that their picks aren’t Spirits and are still in the running for DLC. The upside to this final month of uncertainty, however, is that if any of these three specific characters aren’t actually Spirits after all, then them ending up as DLC is 90% certain.
I love how all three groups are working together, at least it seems so on my end. Elma my be my main girl, but I'm a Kirby fan and a Mario fan so I have to support us all. It's kind of like Spirits mode in that way - we are all backing each other and are stronger (and a way more fun fanbase) when we do.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I honestly don't think Spirits are a death sentence like everyone else.... maybe I'm foolish to still have some of the optimism I had pre-Kencineroar confirmation.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I feel like if Sakurai had absolutely no plans for Geno, he would've expected at least some confusion amongst fans. If Geno isn't DLC I don't want Nintendo going into hiding and we never hear why I want to actually know why. And I also want to know why Issac and Shadow are assist trophies. I'm not pissed off or anything, but I'm genuinely curious why Sakurai decided not to include some fan favorites.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Look, I won't disclose any names I gave in DMs, what I will disclose is that the person who spread this info to me actively gives back to the industry and is very productive. He simply passed to a me a rumor that people at NoA have heard. So far, the rumors have been true so I figured it's noteworthy. IMO, it boosts the odds that Geno is in, but it doesn't lock him or anything.

I imagine this means that Geno is probably one of the names Verge has heard, assuming any of his sources are in NoA. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not going to say he's a lock, but I have a pretty good feeling Geno is one of the most likely ATM. This just bolstered it. Hopefully, he's in and it's not wrong. I can tell you that the person who told me it isn't lying or anything, he's a genuine person who is indeed very active in the community, and he's told me way more disappointing things he's heard than good things. I can assure you he has ties in the community as I've told people in DMs, he is indeed real. I just don't want to give out a name openly and stuff in case that could cause harm. My main goal was simply to pass around a rumor because it could very well be true. It at least means Geno is on the table for sure.
Mmmmmmmm :)

I saw Geno threads popping up in gamefaqs earlier, about someone named Hitagi saying it's not Geno, but Verg says it's nonsense.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai said earlier this year that "there are exceptions but franchises without futures rarely get in." I feel like that's what ultimately doomed Isaac since Dark Dawn was 2008. I feel like the Isaac's fanbase next best step is to either rally for a Golden Sun 4 or a remake of the first one (which is basically split in two between it and Lost Age). I think it needs a Punch Out or Donkey Kong Country Returns style revival to be considered again. Not exactly the victory Isaac fans want but at least he has a working model in Smash again, giving developers good tools if they do decide to make the jump in the future.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

geno not being outright deconfirmed is good news, i wish people wouldn't try and start "deconfirmed" rumors though

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I saw Geno threads popping up in gamefaqs earlier, about someone named Hitagi saying it's not Geno, but Verg says it's nonsense.
Decided to pop in for a few minutes and was quickly reminded why I haven't bothered going to the boards there regularly since 2007. The place is like a baby's hiccup above 4chan.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Decided to pop in for a few minutes and was quickly reminded why I haven't bothered going to the boards there regularly since 2007. The place is like a baby's hiccup above 4chan.
i read the responses to one of them and its a weird cesspool of confirmation bias and outdated info lol

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
That's a good description lol

I just made an account the other day, I want to peek in here and there to see if I can talk to Verg sometime. He responded to me on reddit once but he seems more active on Gamefaqs.

Last edited:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
How many of you think a Season 2 would happen? Maybe without the stages and music so Sakurai can get a little break. I'm sure we'd all like that for twice the chance at Geno.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I don't think a Season 2 would happen, but if it did that'd be awesome.

I just have a hunch that they'll stop at 80 characters. But I want them to go up to 100 ;)

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I don't think a Season 2 would happen, but if it did that'd be awesome.

I just have a hunch that they'll stop at 80 characters. But I want them to go up to 100 ;)
i mean think of it this way: if they dont bring back everything they brought back in ultimate, how could they possibly top it? it doesnt really make sense to make a sequel of ultimate since there'll obviously be a huge fan backlash/let-down if theres any characters cut after the everyone is here stuff.

it just makes sense for nintendo from a marketting standpoint and from a pr standpoint to just do dlc for ultimate. afterall, it wont be too easy to market a game thats essentially a downgrade from the previous one (implying there would be cut characters in a hypothetical smash 6)

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

Yeah it's BS. I'm not the only one who's heard Geno's name internally, Verge himself implied it a while ago. In one of his posts, he alluded by saying "... That's not to say Geno isn't one of the names", and he also said "3 of the names have been recurring." Since I can confirm people within Nintendo of America HAVE heard the name Geno is DLC, I'm sure Verge has heard it too, assuming he has sources within NoA. Note that what I've heard is just water cooler gossip from within NoA, I just thought it was noteworthy because so far each piece of gossip inside has come true.

I was told by our friend that he'll probably hear more either by release or shortly after it. NoA is focusing on Let's Go right now, and DLC isn't too much of a focus in NoA right now either. Soon, my friend.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The more I think about it, the more I'm burned out on the "Literal Who" argument against Geno. SMRPG has been rereleased 3 times in the last decade and low ball estimates put the SNES Classic at 6 million units sold, quadruple what the original game sold. For comparison, the original Kingdom Hearts sold about 5.5 million and KHII about 4.5 million.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Insider rumblings of Geno DLC?!
I WANT TO BELIEVE!!!
It's true. Doesn't mean he's in but there is indeed a rumor going around. I figured this was probably apparent to many people anyway since it was likely one of the names Verge heard to begin with.

to me, it does mean he has a pretty great shot though

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Yeah it's BS. I'm not the only one who's heard Geno's name internally, Verge himself implied it a while ago. In one of his posts, he alluded by saying "... That's not to say Geno isn't one of the names", and he also said "3 of the names have been recurring." Since I can confirm people within Nintendo of America HAVE heard the name Geno is DLC, I'm sure Verge has heard it too, assuming he has sources within NoA. Note that what I've heard is just water cooler gossip from within NoA, I just thought it was noteworthy because so far each piece of gossip inside has come true.

I was told by our friend that he'll probably hear more either by release or shortly after it. NoA is focusing on Let's Go right now, and DLC isn't too much of a focus in NoA right now either. Soon, my friend.
You have inside info?

Are you LeakyPandy? Or someone else entirely?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
The more I think about it, the more I'm burned out on the "Literal Who" argument against Geno. SMRPG has been rereleased 3 times in the last decade and low ball estimates put the SNES Classic at 6 million units sold, quadruple what the original game sold. For comparison, the original Kingdom Hearts sold about 5.5 million and KHII about 4.5 million.
so thats 1.7 million in japan for the original release, and 660 thousand in north america for the original release. thats 2.4 million, plus the 6 million for the snes classic, and we dont even know how much it sold on the wii virtual console. "geno who?" doesnt really work out much anymore

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
so thats 1.7 million in japan for the original release, and 660 thousand in north america for the original release. thats 2.4 million, plus the 6 million for the snes classic, and we dont even know how much it sold on the wii virtual console. "geno who?" doesnt really work out much anymore
So basically at this point, Geno might be rising in popularity thanks to the classic?

Paperluigi11

Smash Cadet
What is weird to me about Geno being missing is that, the story mode for this game would fit him perfectly. Both operate on the basis of a spirit animating an object, and could have easily been Geno’s entry point into the series. It almost feels like Geno could have even been an inspiration to the spirit idea in the first place, so I’m not going to give up on him yet when he feels closer than he’s ever been before.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
So basically at this point, Geno might be rising in popularity thanks to the classic?
possibly. its the same argument as tetris being the best selling game of all time, but because it was packed in. it isnt guarunteed that everyone with the snes classic will play mario rpg, but it has still sold more

What is weird to me about Geno being missing is that, the story mode for this game would fit him perfectly. Both operate on the basis of a spirit animating an object, and could have easily been Geno’s entry point into the series. It almost feels like Geno could have even been an inspiration to the spirit idea in the first place, so I’m not going to give up on him yet when he feels closer than he’s ever been before.
honestly i think its a common belief that its because squenix is stingy and doesnt want anything new from them unless its dlc

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Please don't harass PolarPanda. Me and several of the original members of the Geno Alliance have already talked to him in private. He provided sources and contacts that we won't reveal. Also, no, LeakyPanda and PolarPanda are two separate people.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Pass development to a protege; let Sakurai be an overseer.
that usually isnt the best idea in my experience with games and stuff. the best example is metal gear solid 3, where kojima wanted to let his team handle it but they messed it up so he had to go in and help. not saying thats guarunteed to happen, but sakurai probably has boots just as big to fill as kojima

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
that usually isnt the best idea in my experience with games and stuff. the best example is metal gear solid 3, where kojima wanted to let his team handle it but they messed it up so he had to go in and help. not saying thats guarunteed to happen, but sakurai probably has boots just as big to fill as kojima
I'm not deep enough into the industry. Who would make a good Sakurai replacement?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
You have inside info?

Are you LeakyPandy? Or someone else entirely?
I'm friends with somebody who has a status with Nintendo and feeds me some rumors going around within NoA is all, not a leaker or anything. And yes, I did talk with Fatmanonice and provided info to quite a few others from here. I'm legit about hearing insider rumors, but they're nothing more than rumors. All of his rumors have come true so I'm considering it likely for this to come true as well. Here's hoping. If I DO hear anything else (which i probably won't till nov 7th) i will tell you all. I'd post where i'm getting this info from publically, but i've already told a few others in this thread. I figured I'd be nice and provide some context for you :)

I'm really nothing more than what I said, just passing on rumors that people at NoA have heard. I'm in the same place as you: just hoping geno is in haha

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Thank you PolarPanda PolarPanda For giving us as much information without delving into the specifics.

While i can't exactly take your words personally, it is a pretty optimistic outlook on the matter, and like what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Said, best to leave him be as the older members have already spoken to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom