• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Can confirm PolarPanda is being truthful in that he has a reputable source within NoA who has gotten things right in the past. I can't find anything he specifically got wrong, at least from what I've seen so far. So hopefully these rumors end up being correct. But at the end of the day, rumors are rumors and we are not strangers to seeing inexplicable things happen.

All signs since the final direct have been pretty damn positive for our guy. We have every reason to believe these DLC characters were selected a few years back and that increases Geno's chances tenfold considering everything that happened back in 2015. Games like DQ and KH were so far away from release and their characters don't have anywhere near the Smash fanbase that Geno does.

I'm wondering just how early we'll hear about the first DLC character of the pack. I can see it being announced as early as the end of this month and as far away as something like February, so not much would surprise me there. Here's hoping Vergeben is correct in saying the SE character is assumed to be the first one coming

TBone06

Smash Ace
Can confirm PolarPanda is being truthful in that he has a reputable source within NoA who has gotten things right in the past. I can't find anything he specifically got wrong, at least from what I've seen so far. So hopefully these rumors end up being correct. But at the end of the day, rumors are rumors and we are not strangers to seeing inexplicable things happen.

All signs since the final direct have been pretty damn positive for our guy. We have every reason to believe these DLC characters were selected a few years back and that increases Geno's chances tenfold considering everything that happened back in 2015. Games like DQ and KH were so far away from release and their characters don't have anywhere near the Smash fanbase that Geno does.

I'm wondering just how early we'll hear about the first DLC character of the pack. I can see it being announced as early as the end of this month and as far away as something like February, so not much would surprise me there. Here's hoping Vergeben is correct in saying the SE character is assumed to be the first one coming
Geno would make sense for an early reveal. It's possible that Sakurai wanted to include him in the base, but Square wanted DLC. It this is the case, then it would make sense to reveal Geno early so it's as close to game time as possible, but it still gives Square the ability to cash in on the DLC profits. I think it would only make sense for Sakurai to bring in Sora if Kingdom Hearts 3 was coming to Switch. If it's not, then the timing doesn't make sense for a Sora reveal early on. I'd assume they would want to wait until it's launched for the Switch, or down the road at least so they have that option.

Glad to see some positivity on this board again, after the direct it was pretty rough in here. Remember, we're all on the same team.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Geno would make sense for an early reveal. It's possible that Sakurai wanted to include him in the base, but Square wanted DLC. It this is the case, then it would make sense to reveal Geno early so it's as close to game time as possible, but it still gives Square the ability to cash in on the DLC profits. I think it would only make sense for Sakurai to bring in Sora if Kingdom Hearts 3 was coming to Switch. If it's not, then the timing doesn't make sense for a Sora reveal early on. I'd assume they would want to wait until it's launched for the Switch, or down the road at least so they have that option.

Glad to see some positivity on this board again, after the direct it was pretty rough in here. Remember, we're all on the same team.
Geno getting pushed further can actually be seen as a good thing on our part since he'll get his own stage! Even if it would be more meaningful for him to be base roster, I think it is pretty cool we get a little extra!

paper roxy

Smash Ace
imagine if we got a mario rpg remake/remaster announcement at the vgas along with a geno smash dlc announcement

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I am filled with determination.

And I remember the old Geno Alliance. I was but a wee lad when i first found it during the Brawl days. They had a cool theme song.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I am filled with determination.

And I remember the old Geno Alliance. I was but a wee lad when i first found it during the Brawl days. They had a cool theme song.
Yeah, I used to be part of it too in my ancient first account. Much simpler times back then with the Smash DOJO.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Geno getting pushed further can actually be seen as a good thing on our part since he'll get his own stage! Even if it would be more meaningful for him to be base roster, I think it is pretty cool we get a little extra!
Yeah, I would rather have him in the game with a stage and lots of music with waiting a bit vs. just him in the base. But I just want him in one way or another. So bring on the DLC!!!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Changed the title. Let's be more upbeat for Geno DLC movement 2.0! We can do it!

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I'm friends with somebody who has a status with Nintendo and feeds me some rumors going around within NoA is all, not a leaker or anything. And yes, I did talk with Fatmanonice and provided info to quite a few others from here. I'm legit about hearing insider rumors, but they're nothing more than rumors. All of his rumors have come true so I'm considering it likely for this to come true as well. Here's hoping. If I DO hear anything else (which i probably won't till nov 7th) i will tell you all. I'd post where i'm getting this info from publically, but i've already told a few others in this thread. I figured I'd be nice and provide some context for you :)

I'm really nothing more than what I said, just passing on rumors that people at NoA have heard. I'm in the same place as you: just hoping geno is in haha
Thank you much. :) It helps reiginte the hope fire immensely. :)

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
You mean that old YTMND page back from 2009? If it's the one I'm thinking of, did you mean this?

https://soundcloud.com/lc_lapen%2Fthe-geno-alliance-ytmnd-theme
I'm pretty sure this was it. I forgot it was on YTMND, I couldn't find it on youtube it's been so long lol I remember it had a cool image too, with a bunch of metallic looking Genos.

Also lmao Lapen, where did you get that profile pic? xD

I'm pretty sure I took that pic cause I had a Bowser, Geno and Mario sunshine plush on display on my wall years ago. I don't even remember where I posted it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno still has a chance.

Also hope Sakurai returns for future games, but man needs a break. Sure he will return and he will good enough for me.

DLC is starting to sound more and more worse, if Geno is not in, Banjo-Kazooie ether, and if Sora's not in might be a no go. For me Still sounds interesting.

Geno will make it good though.

Sorry not trying to ungrateful I'm happy about the roster and anyone who gets in let's see how this unfolds.

Last edited by a moderator:

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Thanks PolarPanda for your info! It's nice and reassuring to feel that there's another possible chance with DLC and I could see why if he wanted him in base but couldn't cause of Square. It just seems so strange after all the things Sakurai said about Geno and have everything be dumped away like that but I guess there's reasons why if it doesn't end up happening. Feels like Robin Hood in Men in Tights during that archery contest "I GET ANOTHER SHOT!"

For now I'll just have to move on and wait till the reveal time is nigh. Not giving up hope just yet but nearly did after Thursday. Mostly just relieved he didn't show up as an Assist Trophy but also really sad about the characters that did show up as them :(

edit: Also love Mischief Makers, to the people who were talking about that and Marina earlier. Was my favorite unexpected N64 game that I rented way back ago.

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I haven’t taken the chance to post on here in quite awhile but I just want to say. Geno is still in guys! He’ll be the first DLC character. I’ve been holding out for him for the past 10 years and I’m not going to give up now. In the gaming world, yes SORA has more fans and popularity. BUT in Smash World/Smash community there’s no way Sora wins over our star boy GENO! Sora only seems relevant now because KH3 release is fast approaching but this roster was decided awhile ago. Let’s not forget that!

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'm pretty sure this was it. I forgot it was on YTMND, I couldn't find it on youtube it's been so long lol I remember it had a cool image too, with a bunch of metallic looking Genos.

I'm pretty sure I took that pic cause I had a Bowser, Geno and Mario sunshine plush on display on my wall years ago. I don't even remember where I posted it.
That Geno plush looks amazing! Is it custom or official?

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Yep, that's the one. I ripped that song from the YTMND page cache almost a decade ago and it's been sitting on my fossilized Ipod mini for about as long. Never knew its true title, just has it saved as "Geno Alliance". Wish I'd saved the image as well, if I had known it would disappear into the mists of time.

Ha! You got me. Truth be told I picked such an obscure image for a profile pic that I was sure no one would know where it was from. Didn't know you actively posted here, big fan of your stuff.

I grabbed that picture from an old blog post on your Tumblr, along with whatever Geno-related stuff I could find on there.

Link to post with Pic

tumblr_nrc4ubQnST1rp83cro1_1280.jpg

Dan

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that there are 5 DLC characters with Piranha Plant NOT being part of them (notice it's not getting a stage like the others?). There's a reason why the plant is free for a limited time and why the season pass is full price for 5.
I was aware of that, I just couldn't think of a fifth character, lol.

D

Deleted member

Stupid question sorry if it sounds dumb. The fighters pass once it becomes available will it be available in stores or is it a digital thing you'd have to buy on Eshop?

Just curious.

Never mind figured it out.

Anyway never give up in Geno guys we won't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Long time lurker, I’ve just decided to step out of the shadows to contribute to the discussion.
I think Geno’s chances are really high, for 2 reasons:
-Maybe Sakurai doesn’t count Geno as a Square Rep, so he would be first party (with a peculiarity, of course)
-Even if he’s considered a Square slot, I don’t see Sora being added unless Nintendo likes do promote games that are being launched on other consoles (there’s the chance that a KH collection is being developed for the switch, but I doubt)
Well, that’s my 2 cents

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So what's the current situation for Geno. I'm hearing a lot of things about him being a spirit, Gno rumors, and Sora being the SE rep. Can someone give me a rundown of what exactly is going on?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
So what's the current situation for Geno. I'm hearing a lot of things about him being a spirit, Gno rumors, and Sora being the SE rep. Can someone give me a rundown of what exactly is going on?
Oh cool another P5 fan! Well Geno is not a spirit that we know of so far, but a multiplayer icon. Verge said that the first dlc character announced will be the Square rep and we are hoping it would be Geno.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Oh cool another P5 fan! Well Geno is not a spirit that we know of so far, but a multiplayer icon. Verge said that the first dlc character announced will be the Square rep and we are hoping it would be Geno.
P5 is the best RPG of all time:) But I thought Spirits and multiplayer icon were more or less the same kind of thing. Regardless I don't think either disconfirm characters. Last I heard, Spawnwave was saying Sora at VGA. Is Verg saying something similar? If so, I don't think Geno is going to be there. He's not exactly a VGA type of announcement. I honestly think Sora at VGA and then Geno later is a likely scenario.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
P5 is the best RPG of all time:) But I thought Spirits and multiplayer icon were more or less the same kind of thing. Regardless I don't think either disconfirm characters. Last I heard, Spawnwave was saying Sora at VGA. Is Verg saying something similar? If so, I don't think Geno is going to be there. He's not exactly a VGA type of announcement. I honestly think Sora at VGA and then Geno later is a likely scenario.
verge is saying a square enix rep, nothing more and nothing less. square is really stingy with leaks like this and even vergeben admits hes heard around 7 different names, so im not too keen on believing spawnwave. not to mention kh3 isnt even coming to switch, so itd be a bit of a weird announcement ;p

D

Deleted member

As it stands now he not been deconfirmed.

But seems to have an icon of some kind.

Vergeben is adamant we have a Square Enix rep still.

But it's unkown who.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Geno would make sense for an early reveal. It's possible that Sakurai wanted to include him in the base, but Square wanted DLC.
That's what I'm guessing happened. Square's definitely the type of company to ask what's in it for them in any deal, so they'd probably want any character of theirs to be DLC, especially a character that they have no use for other than to license off to other companies. I think Geno's definitely a priority for Sakurai given how popular he is and what he's said on him in the past, and in that case, it'd make sense for Sakurai to put him in as a multiplayer icon or as a Spirit as a signal to the Geno fans to hang on just a bit longer. He'll definitely want to reveal Geno early if he's in.
And honestly, it'd be kind of bittersweet for Geno to be DLC. On one hand, he probably wouldn't get a CG trailer nor would he get to appear in Spirits alongside other fan favorites like Ridley and K. Rool, but on the other hand, he would be guaranteed a stage! I honestly don't know which one I'd prefer.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Verg says he hasn’t heard anything concerning a VGA character announcment. So if we’re using logic here. We don’t want Smash to be involved with VGA. Geno wouldn’t fit at that show over Sora. So if Smash skips VGA then Geno’s chances are maintained in my book. I know it’s hard to be patient but let me ask people on here this. Did Sakurai do an interview about wanting Geno since Brawl and explaining why Geno was a Mii Costume in Smash 4 and how he really likes the character. Or did Sakurai say all those awesome things about Sora? Also how well do people actually think Sora did in the ballot. I haven’t heard a damn thing about him breaking any ground when it came to the ballots.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Verg says he hasn’t heard anything concerning a VGA character announcment. So if we’re using logic here. We don’t want Smash to be involved with VGA. Geno wouldn’t fit at that show over Sora. So if Smash skips VGA then Geno’s chances are maintained in my book. I know it’s hard to be patient but let me ask people on here this. Did Sakurai do an interview about wanting Geno since Brawl and explaining why Geno was a Mii Costume in Smash 4 and how he really likes the character. Or did Sakurai say all those awesome things about Sora? Also how well do people actually think Sora did in the ballot. I haven’t heard a damn thing about him breaking any ground when it came to the ballots.
i think a geno reveal at the vgas would only work if we got some announcement of a mario rpg rerelease/remake/remaster, otherwise it would be a bit out of place

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Haven't posted in a long while either here or other places, but one thing I would like to remind people when everyone starts stating 'X would not be a good announcement for the VGAs, so it must be Y'

Nintendo announced Funky Kong at the VGAs as a playable character in Tropical Freeze for the Switch.

Take that as you will, but I still believe Geno is coming.

EDIT: I get this is different (Because SMASH). If only we knew when Sakurai finalized the DLC picks. Could it have been with the base roster or a year later?

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
the fact that in smash 4 geno's mii costume got its own splash screen, aka he was more spectacularly presented than any other mii costume, yet he only got a second of screen time in the direct has to mean something

it just doesnt seem like sakurai to have geno be a small easter egg/cameo like that, which makes me think he has to be hinting at something with geno

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom