• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I've seen Daisy, KKR, and Hii Fit Trainer spirits.
They are also playable.
Even if Geno were to be a Spirit, I think he can still be playable.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Snake was also seen having multiple spirits during the Nintendo Live event in Japan.

It was specifically MGS3 Snake which was the same images used as a sticker in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Spirits don't deconfirmed a character.

Geno still has a huge possibility.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Spirits don't deconfirmed a character.

Geno still has a huge possibility.
This is a fan theory based on confirmed characters having them as well, Sakurai hasn't made a statement about them as far as I know.

hope he's in but again, control that hype.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is a fan theory based on confirmed characters having them as well, Sakurai hasn't made a statement about them as far as I know.

There is no reason to believe either way. Them deconfirming is just a fan theory too

D

Deleted member

Sigh I know I know. My most wanted already got in and the game is near perfect to me so I'm already content. But Geno would be the cherry on top of the cake. Still I'm prepared for anything and with this Minecraft, and Granblue Fantasy nonsense. I have a feeling the characters won't be all ones we want. I'm going to be happy whoever the characters are. But anything is possible.

Also nice pictures despite everything Piranha Plant is a great addition.

On a positive not game is almost here, and on top of Red Dead Redemption 2, and Spyro Reignited Trilogy walkthroughs I can finally play the game so DLC will be the last thing on my mind. Thank goodness.

Last edited by a moderator:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
So one of my biggest questions is why Square would get more value out of a character no one is asking for over a character millions have been wanting like Geno.

What would need to be done regarding getting Square ti want to put Geno in over a character they feel would provide more of a "financial gain" for them like Sora, Noctis or even Neku?
Easy, Sakurai can already use him. In fact, Geno is apparently already in the game in battle icons. It's all up to Sakurai at this point. Geno has the least amount of legal hoops, definitely. In fact, even one of SMRPG's best composers is already on the Ultimate team. It makes a ton of sense when you think about it.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
remember that there was no explicit statement that the dlc 5 pack we're getting will be the only wave of dlc. xenoverse 2 had a season pass for all dlc, it came out in 2015, and 3 years later we're still getting dlc for it under a seperate dlc pack (whether you agree with that practice or not is up to you) so even if geno doesnt get into the first 5 (i doubt he wont, theres way too much going for him), theres still the chance of even more dlc, and really it just makes sense for them to try and keep ultimate going as long as possible, since its coming out sorta early in the switch's lifespan and dlc would be a good way to keep the game alive while still making sure nintendo can make money
For as much disappointment we've been getting lately; I agree. Even if we don't get the characters we want, it is poor business to stop at one season. As a Business, Nintendo is going to make the choice that get's the most money.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Easy, Sakurai can already use him. In fact, Geno is apparently already in the game in battle icons. It's all up to Sakurai at this point. Geno has the least amount of legal hoops, definitely. In fact, even one of SMRPG's best composers is already on the Ultimate team. It makes a ton of sense when you think about it.
But part of me feels like negotiating is just part of the cycle. Like I am just worried Square would be negotiating for something that has as much if not more star power than Geno.

Just because it makes sense and should happen has not been the case. This is why we still do not have Geno but we are getting a Piranha Plant.

I just want a straight up yes or no and of course Square Enix is the only company in the world that is willing to torture us with extremely cloudy guilt ridden speculation

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I never really considered the angle that the Square Enix content was liscensed for multiple games at the time of the agreement. Definitely explains why literally no new Final Fantasy content has emerged since Smash 4. This could also explain why so many insiders are suggesting the first DLC character will be from Square Enix and how not a lot of hints have emerged for the other four... Placing a time frame where Cloud and the mystery DLC character for Smash Ultimate were negotiated as early as late 2014...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Snake was also seen having multiple spirits during the Nintendo Live event in Japan.

It was specifically MGS3 Snake which was the same images used as a sticker in Brawl.
That's a different character, though; it's like Mega Man and Mega Man X.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
But part of me feels like negotiating is just part of the cycle. Like I am just worried Square would be negotiating for something that has as much if not more star power than Geno.

Just because it makes sense and should happen has not been the case. This is why we still do not have Geno but we are getting a Piranha Plant.

I just want a straight up yes or no and of course Square Enix is the only company in the world that is willing to torture us with extremely cloudy guilt ridden speculation
Remember one thing , in the end , it's Sakurai who has the last word.

SE can suggest a DQ rep or Sora, or Neku, Agnès, 2B... But if Sakurai said "Can we use Geno?" and they said no and propose someone else instead , I don't think Sakurai would say yes. It would be kind of disrespectful.

However , I could see them suggesting one of their characters WITH Geno. It's a possibility , and I think they can talk about it.

slopdop

Smash Cadet
So apparently Chrom's Mii Costume was found. If Geno's costume happens to be back in this game too then we're probably still safe for our chances at DLC?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Remember one thing , in the end , it's Sakurai who has the last word.

SE can suggest a DQ rep or Sora, or Neku, Agnès, 2B... But if Sakurai said "Can we use Geno?" and they said no and propose someone else instead , I don't think Sakurai would say yes. It would be kind of disrespectful.

However , I could see them suggesting one of their characters WITH Geno. It's a possibility , and I think they can talk about it.
This. People seem to have forgotten that Sakurai does, in fact, pick the characters for his own damn game.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Found this somewhat intriguing: there are no Dragon Quest games on either the Japanese NES Classic or SNES Classic, but Mario RPG is on the SNES Classic for every region. Dragon Quest XI is on the Switch, though. However, I think this bolsters the idea that Mario RPG is the simplest game from a rights perspective. With the way things are going Geno doesn't feel super likely, but it doesn't seem like Dragon Quest is a slam dunk either.

Edit: It looks like Nintendo made a Japan-only special edition NES Classic that includes a bunch of Dragon Ball games and Dragon Quest. It released this past July. Maybe too late if the DLC was decided back in 2015. Still intriguing all around.
https://www.cnet.com/news/japans-getting-a-special-nes-classic-loaded-with-dragon-ball-games/

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Found this somewhat intriguing: there are no Dragon Quest games on either the Japanese NES Classic or SNES Classic, but Mario RPG is on the SNES Classic for every region. Dragon Quest XI is on the Switch, though. However, I think this bolsters the idea that Mario RPG is the simplest game from a rights perspective. With the way things are going Geno doesn't feel super likely, but it doesn't seem like Dragon Quest is a slam dunk either.
I pointed this out yesterday. Even stranger, not a single Dragon Quest game was liscensed for us on the Wii or Wii U Virtual Console in any region too. Another important note, the last mainstream game that was released on a Nintendo platform and not a Japanese exclusive was for the DS in 2009.

-Coco-

Smash Ace

Edit: It looks like Nintendo is making a Japan-only special edition NES Classic that includes a bunch of Dragon Ball games and Dragon Quest. Hmmmm
https://www.cnet.com/news/japans-getting-a-special-nes-classic-loaded-with-dragon-ball-games/
This is likely because they didn't wanna switch the games between versions. The SNES DQ games never came here and DQ sold like trash here when it did come here.

I pointed this out yesterday. Even stranger, not a single Dragon Quest game was liscensed for us on the Wii or Wii U Virtual Console in any region too. Another important note, the last mainstream game that was released on a Nintendo platform and not a Japanese exclusive was for the DS in 2009.
DQ is dead here. They likely don't want to waste the money to bring them here (at the time.) DQ is starting to see resurgance here because SE wants that American money. Back when they ceased to bring DQ games here it was due to SE having a financial issues.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
This is likely because they didn't wanna switch the games between versions. The SNES DQ games never came here and DQ sold like trash here when it did come here.

DQ is dead here. They likely don't want to waste the money to bring them here (at the time.) DQ is starting to see resurgance here because SE wants that American money. Back when they ceased to bring DQ games here it was due to SE having financial issues.
True, but there were quite a few region exclusive games on these mini consoles. In fact, Final Fantasy 3 is exclusive on the Japanese NES Classic.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Exactly! If it was up to Sakurai, we would have gotten Geno in the base roster in Ultimate or all the way back in Brawl. Square-Enix is the reason we haven't gotten Geno yet, the reason he will probably be DLC because they're greedy, and the reason he might not be in at all.
I figured his best chance was as DLC perhaps to subsidize some of the rights cost from the get go.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
True, but there were quite a few Japan exclusive games on these mini consoles. In fact, Final Fantasy 3 is exclusive on the Japanese NES Classic.
Really? That's interesting. I don't think it's a rights thing though. Might be because they intend on using DQ for other things.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I feel like this is Geno's last chance to be playable. If he's not DLC, he might as well be an assist trophy.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Really? That's interesting. I don't think it's a rights thing though. Might be because they intend on using DQ for other things.
Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up too much. Those minis were a surprise hit as well, so Nintendo might have been a bit more conservative in their selections--Chrono Trigger is also missing for example. It looks like they've changed their opinion a bit with this Shonen Jump special edition version.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Oh that reminds me, I'm like 90% sure Geno is DLC. Not necessarily because I'm biased either. I'm going to update my post with my reasoning because I don't see many people mentioning this so hold on.

So before the Grinch Leak came around I had a feeling that Geno might miss the base game based on the box theory going around and the fact that Verge had said the SE character might be DLC if it isn't base game.

#1.png

This is Verge before the Grinch Leak was ever a thing. Verge has since clarified his stance roughly a few days ago stating that the SE character would be the first DLC.

# 2.png

Now I know he's only saying SE and not outright clarifying who. But if you cross his leak with another reliable leak you start to see a pattern. So let's shift focus from Verg and onto Gamexplain's Jon. For those unaware Jon was someone who was making scarily accurate "predictions"
#3.png

The above is a reddit post but a quick google search will show all of these are verified. It's not in the least surprising that the gamexplain channel has inside info based on the above and how Andre from the channel by his own admission KNEW the Grinch Leak was fake.

#4.png

So how does this lead to Geno? Well in the most recent video by them before the Nintendo Direct they discussed many things.

I have a feeling that these guys didn't want to make it look like they had more inside info so they were discussing random characters jokingly (the L block for example.) But if you look at what Jon is saying for the characters on the banner, he has either witheld info or has been outright correct. (Isaac as an assist trophy.) He even said Banjo wasn't gonna be in the base game. But what I found MOST interesting is that everyone on the channel said Geno was going to be in but John specified DLC. Check the video yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTbp_5CaDE&t=1h03m22s

We already know they have inside info, and Jon seems to have even more than anyone else. Not only does Jon say DLC but he says that DLC will start with him. This lines up directly with Verge's statement stating the first DLC will be SE.

Last edited:

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
Anyways, any guesses on what songs would be used should Geno be DLC? I'm pretty sure we'd get more than two because it's not like it's Final Fantasy and we already have a fair number of contributions to the Smash OST from Yoko Shimomura, especially including for songs from Street Fighter II (which she worked on). Beware the Forest's Mushrooms would be an obvious pick of course, but I'm thinking maybe at least one of these:
* Fight Against an Armed Boss
* Welcome to Booster Tower/And My Name's Booster
* My Paradise
* Either Smithy theme, perhaps both of them

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno awakens.

Barrel Volcano

The Axem Rangers drop in

Also yes possible they know something's John especially but my best to them ether way.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, posting for the first time.

Wondering if anyone could hit me with the latest info on Geno's chances for inclusion as DLC.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Oh that reminds me, I'm like 90% sure Geno is DLC. Not necessarily because I'm biased either. I'm going to update my post with my reasoning because I don't see many people mentioning this so hold on...

But what I found MOST interesting is that everyone on the channel said Geno was going to be in but John specified DLC. Check the video yourself.
Great write-up! If we're looking at John from Gamexplain, there's also this possible hint in their direct postgame video.

They're playing Beware the Forest's Mushrooms during the entire DLC segment.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Greeting Genobros. I have not given up hope for you guys in DLC. My number 1 Isaac may not have made it, but Geno is my number 2 and I would be so hyped for you guys if he makes it in!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Oh that reminds me, I'm like 90% sure Geno is DLC. Not necessarily because I'm biased either. I'm going to update my post with my reasoning because I don't see many people mentioning this so hold on.

So before the Grinch Leak came around I had a feeling that Geno might miss the base game based on the box theory going around and the fact that Verge had said the SE character might be DLC if it isn't base game.

View attachment 175661

This is Verge before the Grinch Leak was ever a thing. Verge has since clarified his stance roughly a few days ago stating that the SE character would be day 1 DLC.

View attachment 175662

Now I know he's only saying SE and not outright clarifying who. But if you cross his leak with another reliable leak you start to see a pattern. So let's shift focus from Verg and onto Gameexplain's John. For those unaware Johns was someone who was making scarily accurate "predictions"
View attachment 175667

The above is a reddit post but a quick google search will show all of these are varified. It's not in the least surprising that the gamexplain channel has inside info based on the above and how Andre from the channel by his own admission KNEW the Grinch Leak was fake.

View attachment 175668

So how does this lead to Geno? Well in the most recent video by them before the Grinch leak they discussed many things.

I have a feeling that these guys didn't want to make it look like they had more inside info so they were discussing random characters jokingly (the L block for example.) But if you look at what John is saying for the characters on the banner, he has either witheld info or has been outright correct. (Isaac as an assist trophy.) He even said Banjo wasn't gonna be in the base game. But what I found MOST interesting is that everyone on the channel said Geno was going to be in but John specified DLC. Check the video yourself.

We already know they have inside info, and John seems to have even more than anyone else. Not only does John say DLC but he says that DLC will start with him. This lines up directly with Verge's statement stating the first DLC will be SE.
I'm glad I unsubbed to them. What shady ****

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

View attachment 175661

This is Verge before the Grinch Leak was ever a thing. Verge has since clarified his stance roughly a few days ago stating that the SE character would be the first DLC.

View attachment 175662

Now I know he's only saying SE and not outright clarifying who. But if you cross his leak with another reliable leak you start to see a pattern. So let's shift focus from Verg and onto Gamexplain's Jon. For those unaware Jon was someone who was making scarily accurate "predictions"
View attachment 175667

The above is a reddit post but a quick google search will show all of these are verified. It's not in the least surprising that the gamexplain channel has inside info based on the above and how Andre from the channel by his own admission KNEW the Grinch Leak was fake.

View attachment 175668

So how does this lead to Geno? Well in the most recent video by them before the Grinch leak they discussed many things.

I have a feeling that these guys didn't want to make it look like they had more inside info so they were discussing random characters jokingly (the L block for example.) But if you look at what Jon is saying for the characters on the banner, he has either witheld info or has been outright correct. (Isaac as an assist trophy.) He even said Banjo wasn't gonna be in the base game. But what I found MOST interesting is that everyone on the channel said Geno was going to be in but John specified DLC. Check the video yourself.

We already know they have inside info, and Jon seems to have even more than anyone else. Not only does Jon say DLC but he says that DLC will start with him. This lines up directly with Verge's statement stating the first DLC will be SE.
The GameXplain Jon part is super interesting. I'm gonna add that to my Geno as DLC evidence document. I'll give credit to you as well because you have initially brought it to my attention now. Thanks!

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I think that guy (or gal) was 100% right, and they didn't say anything at all toxic; just voiced their opinion. They're a paying customer for a video game; this is no charity you know.

The characters themselves were the issue, not
the quantity.
K however they were well aware there are better ways to word things without sounding aggressive or especially sensitive.

Because people don’t share your opinion, something is wrong with them. Well, that’s an interesting concept.

Jesus, stop talking like if you had the moral highground. We don’t need moral’s knights to say how people are wrong when they don’t have the good opinion. Some people don’t share your thoughs and that’s fine, now get over it and enjoy the damn game or talk about Geno (because yeah, that’s Geno’s topic).
Chill lol. Get what they said but just like you've said they are voicing their opinion lmao. Both of you. Could worded what u said better because like i before you come off aggressive and angry. There are nicer ways to say you dislike something. Bad Example " This direct was trash and had terrible characters and spirits mode in it" Good example " i disliked the direct of the characters and spirits mode or i found the the spirits mode reveal and characters uninteresting". Btw wordplay or wording something better isn't a opinion it's a fact and what both of you said could been said nicer.

I still don't buy the Katalina thing as she is a big "who" outside of Japan and if we really needed mobile representation, then an FE Heroes OC like Fjorm can do the job a lot better, but no matter who is DLC I will buy them all the same as every character is a welcomed addition even Steve. Still, I hope Verge is right that the first DLC announced is the SE character as I want this to be over with as soon as possible if we are getting Geno or not.
Lol Corrin was a big who for a long time until the fire emblem fates and birthright came out in the west because it was already finished in Japan for months. They did it to promote in the west. Before then all we knew that they were from fire emblem that was it. Nintendo co owns the game she is from so they are literally doing the same thing again but with a different series and character. It's for promoting reasons nothing new lol.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Have we seen Geno's Mii costume at all since the Direct? I haven't been keeping up too much with the post-Direct coverage, so I was wondering if it had been spotted. To me knowledge, the answer is no, which would be very interesting in my mind.

If we don't spot him through the additional coverage, then we have an agonizing wait til someone gets ahold of a copy and can confirm the Mii costumes in the base game. If the Mii costume is in the base game, it's a small blow to us as that could be as far as Sakurai takes it.

BUT, if he's not in the base game (We've seen the Icon/Spirit/Whatever, so they have the rights for him again at the very least), then we have a much more interesting and beautiful ray of hope for Geno as DLC...

God, my heart doesn't need hope and more waiting. I'd just like to know...

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
-Forest Maze
-Minor Boss/Armed Boss Theme
-Nimbus Land/Barrel Volcano Duo Track
-Booster Tower Suite
-Mushroom Kingdom Theme

I think there is a lot of potential of some songs being shared together. Mega Man had a lot of these in Smash 4. (Quick Man/Heat Man)

Even Ultimate has a Mega Man 4 Medley where Dive Man and Skull Man's themes are in it.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Lol Corrin was a big who for a long time until the fire emblem fates and birthright came out in the west because it was already finished in Japan for months. They did it to promote in the west. Before then all we knew that they were from fire emblem that was it. Nintendo co owns the game she is from so they are literally doing the same thing again but with a different series and character. It's for promoting reasons nothing new lol.
You may be right, or you may be wrong I'll leave it at that as we will know when the time comes, but like I said it doesn't matter to me I will end up being every DLC character even if it Steve lol. But let's not get out of topic. Since every character has their own unique campaign for Classic Mode, I wonder how Geno's will be set up.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Have we seen Geno's Mii costume at all since the Direct? I haven't been keeping up too much with the post-Direct coverage, so I was wondering if it had been spotted. To me knowledge, the answer is no, which would be very interesting in my mind.

If we don't spot him through the additional coverage, then we have an agonizing wait til someone gets ahold of a copy and can confirm the Mii costumes in the base game. If the Mii costume is in the base game, it's a small blow to us as that could be as far as Sakurai takes it.

BUT, if he's not in the base game (We've seen the Icon/Spirit/Whatever, so they have the rights for him again at the very least), then we have a much more interesting and beautiful ray of hope for Geno as DLC...

God, my heart doesn't need hope and more waiting. I'd just like to know...
No confirmation of his costume yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom