• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm really sorry that I'm saying this guys, and I really don't mean to be a buzzkill, but I just have to point something out. There was so much pointing for Geno in this game. So much. But he didn't make it. However, DLC was announced. We know of 5 characters coming. If Geno had all this potential for the base roster and didn't make it in, what makes him likely for DLC? The reason I say that is because those DLC spots are going to be really competitive. Yes, Geno may be a personal favorite of Sakurai's, but the goal of DLC is to sell characters and profit. It's a business. That said, I unfortunately see Nintendo including big-name characters as DLC because they will sell the most. Geno is popular, but how many people who are playing the game really know who Geno is? I can see sales skyrocketing for characters like Banjo and Geno would probably make pretty decent sales, but I just think that his overall chances were higher for the base roster.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'm really sorry that I'm saying this guys, and I really don't mean to be a buzzkill, but I just have to point something out. There was so much pointing for Geno in this game. So much. But he didn't make it. However, DLC was announced. We know of 5 characters coming. If Geno had all this potential for the base roster and didn't make it in, what makes him likely for DLC? The reason I say that is because those DLC spots are going to be really competitive. Yes, Geno may be a personal favorite of Sakurai's, but the goal of DLC is to sell characters and profit. It's a business. That said, I unfortunately see Nintendo including big-name characters as DLC because they will sell the most. Geno is popular, but how many people who are playing the game really know who Geno is? I can see sales skyrocketing for characters like Banjo and Geno would probably make pretty decent sales, but I just think that his overall chances were higher for the base roster.
The one thing that I could think of is that Square Enix saw an opportunity for profit sharing (like they originally got with Cloud) and it's easier to divvy up DLC purchase dollars than it is to subtract a percentage of sales of the entire base game.

This is of course wild speculation

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I have lost all hope for him being DLC for the reasons you stated, but now that I've stopped caring he'll probably get in.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Don't get hung up on Pirhana Plant. It's a joke character. Every major fighting series has at least one. It was probably a pet project of Sakurai's that he decided to just flesh out and make a gift. It didn't "beat" anyone out and Sakurai likely added it just for laughs.

Also, have you guys considered that the Mii costumes in Smash 4 were an easy way to test popularity AKA "do you like this character enough to pay for them?" That's what we call market research. It seems that the more popular ones were fleshed out either by becoming assist trophies or playable. As you all will notice, Geno's not an assist trophy. To make the Geno costume, they had to have permission to do it. They had to have assests. They had to have permission to use Beware the Forest's Mushrooms in his trailer. They likely had to pay for all of this too. That said, as a hypothetical SE DLC character, he already has his foot in the door by a wide margin. For literally any other Square Enix character, they would have to start all of this completely from scratch AND the decision would have had to have been made in late 2015? Do you all see what I'm getting at?
This makes a ton of sense when you think about it. They certainly didn't know Smash and KH3's release dates would line up like this in 2015, so why would they pick Sora? And like you said, they already got Geno's rights.

Plus no echo characters as DLC means another FF character is unlikely.

It is overwhelmingly in Geno's favor to be the SE DLC character

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I'm definitely gonna root for Geno as one of those 5 DLC characters.

I will, however, temper my expectations. After that damn Piranha Plant, I can see wildcards for DLC.

I'm with you guys 100% though. I may be sad about the final choices (Issac was a little tough to swallow), but I'm an optimist. There's always hope in my heart for a character like Geno to make the roster.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
My thought process is this -

Vergeben has correctly leaked like....every newcomer. He missed K.Rool and he thought Isabelle was an echo, but besides that? He got everyone, and he leaked Isaac would be an assist trophy. He said that not only was there a new Square Enix rep, but (if I'm remembering correctly) that it was probably going to end up DLC.

Moving on, we know Geno is - TECHNICALLY - in the game. He is at bare minimum a profile picture, and most likely a selectable Spirit. We haven't seen his Mii costume at all, though (but I'm guessing it's still there).

At the end of the day, Sakurai himself wants Geno in Smash (or at least wanted him in at one point), Geno REGULARLY ranks super high in polls (and most other characters who rank high are either deconfirmed or already in), AND we know Sakurai has the go-ahead to include Geno in Smash since there's at MINIMUM the profile picture. Quite possibly, using Geno may have been more costly, and to compensate he's going to be DLC. And I think it's likely, 'cuz, again -

1) Sakurai wants it
2) A large part of the fanbase wants it
3) There's 5 completely unique DLC characters, and Sakurai already has the go-ahead to include Geno.

TheBeastHimself

Yeah I'm still down to continue supporting Geno until the very end, but I'm not going to expect him. I'll hope for him, but I got really bummed out today because I expected him so much.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
probably because square wouldnt want him to be used if they werent able to get profit from it in a more streamlined manner

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
it's been real folks but looks like the Geno train is done. Guess this is a testimate to trusting leaks and forgetting these things are deliberately targeted at the Smash fandom, where in reality Nintendo is making a game for a general audience. Characters like Ridley and K Rool were probably the top picks Nintendo decided were both profitable and appeased to the hardcore base. I think the naysayers were right when Geno is just too obscure and a loud majority. Even a hyped character in the fandom like Issac just got back in as an AT, suppose the best thing we will ever get is a Geno mii costume, which I assume will represent him in spirits to unlock his sticker, optimistically he's a top tier sticker.

At least Isaac fans get a updated render, Geno's offical render is still just the poorly aged render from SMRPG and what will represent him here. Sakurai is acknowledging Geno in the way he thinks he should best be, which I guess is the best we can hope for.

TheBeastHimself

Another quick thing I wanted to add, it'd be kinda difficult to make a game solely for the fans like Ultimate was said to be. If they added every character that the hardcore Smash community was dying for, it'd be isolating a large part of Smash's regular audience so I can see why some characters everyone expected to be in didn't make the cut. It's a shame though. I especially feel bad for Shadow and Issac fans who I think were sorta lead on.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Geno hope couldn't be lost. If there is just an old picture of him as a player icon, surely that doesn't mean **** against his chances for DLC.

hashupa

Smash Rookie
Popping in one more time, just because I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Did anyone else notice that about 54 seconds in after he confirms DLC, there is a bit of fine print that states exactly this:

"Fighters Pass content is available as it is released. All sets will be released through the end of February 2020."

Unless hard evidence shows up (no more leaks fooling this scrub), please temper all your hype towards any one particular character. I don't want to be a hype killer, but I would like to stress that February 2020 is a very long way away and is going to make for a slow, agonizing death for fan picks. Especially once we get to that final spot and even moreso if they treat reveals for DLC like they did for base; last minute and cruel.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Y'know, there was a time not too long after Isabelle's reveal where we thought the remaining roster was: Ken, Incineroar, Square? Minecraft Stage? Shadow? So, in a way we're just back to where we were a couple months ago. Square representation feels like almost a certainty now. So, until we see that character, Geno's chances are alive even if just a flicker.

Here's a line the other day from Jon from Gamexplain (who predicted all the Final Fantasy content in the Sept. Direct): "I really want Geno in, but I feel like he might be one of those situations like with Banjo where it makes more sense to sort this out after the game is released. I think Geno maybe will be in [the game] in the future but as DLC."
Yeah; but Game Explain wanted the box theory to happen. I don't think they are the beacons of positivity we should look to. Personally I already unsubbed after the Grinch fiasco where they decided to stop being journalists.

Dan

Smash Lord
Guys, it's time to stop making up reasons.

Another quick thing I wanted to add, it'd be kinda difficult to make a game solely for the fans like Ultimate was said to be. If they added every character that the hardcore Smash community was dying for, it'd be isolating a large part of Smash's regular audience so I can see why some characters everyone expected to be in didn't make the cut. It's a shame though. I especially feel bad for Shadow and Issac fans who I think were sorta lead on.
There are 74 characters in the game; the casuals don't care who's on the roster anymore at this point.

And Sakurai is a grade-A jackass for teasing Isaac.

Popping in one more time, just because I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Did anyone else notice that about 54 seconds in after he confirms DLC, there is a bit of fine print that states exactly this:

"Fighters Pass content is available as it is released. All sets will be released through the end of February 2020."

Unless hard evidence shows up (no more leaks fooling this scrub), please temper all your hype towards any one particular character. I don't want to be a hype killer, but I would like to stress that February 2020 is a very long way away and is going to make for a slow, agonizing death for fan picks. Especially once we get to that final spot and even moreso if they treat reveals for DLC like they did for base; last minute and cruel.
They don't deserve my patience or attention.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Someone said on discord they saw Geno in spirits? Is that true? Either way I don't see it as a hard deconfirm as an Assist Trophy reveal, there is still hope for us and for Lip!
Lip got more spotlight than Isaac and other obscure characters like Mach Rider. I'd say she got more than enough but I'm not gambling again because I always end up losing.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Nice seeing all the fake supporters who came in here the last couple weeks when Geno was thought to be guaranteed base roster are the first ones to say his chances are done after this and that they’re giving up. But they swear theyve secretly supported Geno since brawl!

Y’all are sick supporters. Enjoy moving on to the next flavor of the month characters

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Today is what separates the Geno-Boys from the Geno-MEN.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"If Geno's so popular, why didn't he get into the base game? Just to harp on the market research angle some more, let's talk about the Mii costumes that became playable:

Isabelle- June 2015
Inkling- June 2015
Chrom- July 2015
K. Rool- July 2015

These four characters had 5-6 months of market research backing them up before the blue prints for Ultimate were drawn. Geno was released December 15th 2015, meaning, at most, he had two weeks. That said, a decision had to be made fast but that isn't that unusual. Why? The strong evidence that Bayonetta was chosen within two weeks of the ballot starting because Sakurai has gone on record to say that completely unique characters take 10 months to a year to develop.The Smash Ballot started in April 2015 so, to meet her deadline of February 2016, this is how things had to go down. Also note that she was comically unbalanced when she was first released, adding more evidence to this. So, in conclusion, there's very strong evidence that Geno missed the base roster boat because his time window for market research was so short before the starting gun for Ultimate was fired.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Geno's still alive.

That's more than you can say for a ton of other characters.

With an SE character likely on the way as DLC, I'd say Geno still has a decently strong chance.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I have more hope for Geno than I do for a lot of other character's right now; but with only 5 DLC characters and a curveball like Piranha Plant, I honestly don't know WHAT is truly likely anymore...

Dan

Smash Lord
Nice seeing all the fake supporters who came in here the last couple weeks when Geno was thought to be guaranteed base roster are the first ones to say his chances are done after this and that they’re giving up. But they swear theyve secretly supported Geno since brawl!

Y’all are sick supporters. Enjoy moving on to the next flavor of the month characters
I still support the character, but with piranha plant, it's foolish to support any character anymore; like you're hardcore gonna lobby for a character for it to fight a generic enemy? This game isn't worthy of Geno. This **** broke Smash for me.

Here we are, still pulling at straws, still making excuses; I guess it'll never be enough.

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman

Well Puppetbros, it was an honour serving with you. Geno being a spirit has killed any hope I've had for him ever making it into the game, even with DLC coming.
That's not true; He's shown in the ONLINE Mode; Where Spirits AREN'T Allowed!!! It's a SMASH TAG!!!

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet

Longtime fan, but getting burned for a third time hurts, and shame on me for believing the leak which put my expectations too high only to go up in flames(Incineroar joke). I've been pretty depressed all day about it, feel like I'm back to the Brawl days when Geno wasn't in the game. I think there's a difference between being a fan and accepting something isn't going to happen, which in this case sadly I've got to say things don't look grand for Geno.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Agreed. It's been so many years of false hope and I am officially jumping off the Geno train. He's always been my most wanted, but it truly has become apparent that it just never will happen. It's okay. I can live with it. The game is amazing regardless and I still have a few who have a decent chance who I would love to root for going forward. I'll never forget the lovable puppet though. Never.

Jclubsandwich

Smash Rookie
The Isaac boat is going down, so I'm jumping ship onto the Geno fanbase. Isaac's best hopes are Smash 6 (if there is one) but I honestly believe Geno has a shot at DLC. If Sakurai put a literal plant in the base roster, Geno is just as plausible; he's quirky, he calls back to older Mario days, and, unlike Pirahna Plant, he actually has supporters. He's one of the few characters that survived the massacre, and I want to support him in place of my boy Isaac.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
I would've loved for Geno to be in the base game. I wish this final direct had more hype, but unfortunately it turned out being a mediocre last send off. I feel like Geno's chances weren't really good however, and he has much more of a chance as a DLC. That said, I don't think we should either be excited or lose all hope. Cheer up, but not too much, essentially.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’ll be honest if he does legit make it as dlc I’m gonna get a bit emotional. We’ve been through such a roller coaster and had our dreams shot down after building up so many times including now, that if we’re finally thrown a bone after all this I won’t know how to react.

I know it won’t happen but I really hope sakurai lets us just know what the dlc characters they’re planning are, even if they’re not ready, just let us know instead of letting us be nervous wrecks wondering who will be in until the last minute.

Dan

Smash Lord
I’ll be honest if he does legit make it as dlc I’m gonna get a bit emotional. We’ve been through such a roller coaster and had our dreams shot down after building up so many times including now, that if we’re finally thrown a bone after all this I won’t know how to react.

I know it won’t happen but I really hope sakurai lets us just know what the dlc characters they’re planning are, even if they’re not ready, just let us know instead of letting us be nervous wrecks wondering who will be in until the last minute.
I already had that experience with Ridley; I was happy he was in the game, but it was pure salt: "Where the **** has he been the last 15 years?"

I got Ridley and Rool; I guess Banjo and Geno would be too selfish.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
I'm not giving up. I'm a Geno supporter. Actually, a little more than that. I'm a Geno fan. How could I give up when he's a profile icon?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Geno has good chances for dlc, imo. Along with Bandana dee. (and ..hopefully shantae)
We havent seen them besides spirits or icons, which are like stickers and there's all kinds, including fighters.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
We must not give in to despair! Our Star boy has a big chance in DLC.

Unfortunately, I do not think there is anyway to campaign for a character since all the DLC characters were picked along with the main roster (At least that is what I am gathering from how Sakurai stated it during the Rex Mii costume bit)

Our Star is still burning bright!

Dan

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee is probably a lock for DLC because he's a fan request and Sakurai bias; Steve's a lock, the pessimist in me says Sora is the Square rep and the other two are probably characters we couldn't possibly predict.

Anyone watch D1? How did he react to the piranha plant?

we just got piranha plant as a playable character. piranha plant. anything is possible.
Which is bad for Geno.

TheBeastHimself

I ain't one of these guys that's been around forever so I can't really speak on their behalf, but it looks like people just don't have the patience to wait anymore. After a while, especially a decade of supporting Geno, that hype and excitement just kind of wears off after being turned down again and again and again. 3 times in a damn row. This doesn't mean they are "fake supporters" and not true fans of Geno, it means that not everyone has the same level of patience as others and that's totally okay. I mean waiting for Geno from Brawl, it had to of come to a point where people just gave up eventually, it's just life.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
To be fair though, I bet anyone who feels pessimistic about Geno's inclusion right now will still freak out with excitement if he gets added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom