• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

So... no one is using this as evidence? Sakurai literally had permission to use this song for a trailer. But c'mon guys. He could easily... EASILY slap that **** in Ultimate if Square let him use it for a damn Mii Costume reveal.

Also, what if Geno wasn't added because of the whole "Bayonetta wasn't a ballot pick" thing. Y'know how the models were already in Smash ready for Cloud and Bayonetta.

He could've known Geno was near the top of the ballot and saved him for Ultimate. Just like how they saved Inklings for Ultimate. And guess who was a Mii Costume too...
Geno's mii costume did come after the ballot, and Sakurai has said that he's very popular and that he get's a lot of requests when it comes to old characters, here underneath "Costumes":

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

Sakurai seems to have wanted to add him as a fighter again, but got Cloud from Square Enix first so he could represent them when making a deal. With it being 2015 and him probably thinking of the next game (Ultimate), he wouldn't have had time to make him a unique fighter, as it would have taken a year.

I read it was fanmade.

Last edited:

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
It sounds fake...

It just doesn't sound finished. The loop doesn't even properly circle around to the beginning. When professional composers remix a piece of music, it usually ends up being re-invented in some way. I don't mean to be cruel, but it sounds like an amateur's attempt at re-creating the song.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Something I have thought about for awhile and never got around to asking.
When did that artist draw the picture of Geno? The one that saws, I serve a higher authority and got taken down?
Geno was talked about in the office? Was that during the Mii costume announcement days or way after?

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure it is. It sounds kinda fake.

Also, wasn't there a thing going around that Sakurai wanted to add a character with a gun model? Geno 100% has a gun. He was a Mii Gunner. And Elma doesn't seem like a character he'd put in over many other fan favorites.

Doesn't that **** alone basically confirm him?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
View attachment 171188

is crunchii just trolling ending with Ge...
I'd say he's trolling in general.

Aside from the tracks he's uploaded, has he ever been known for having any sort of insider info? I've only known him as the music extensions guy. Could be he just managed to nab some music and figured because he had legitimate Smash content that he could try his hand at leaking. Easy way to get people to click your videos, that's for sure.

I'm not paying much attention to this guy, currently.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If Geno isn't included this time around, I'd at least want Sakurai to give an explanation why. He's talked about wanting Geno in Brawl and Smash 4, but he danced around the reason why he wasn't included. We can all assume it was because of Square holding tightly, but now that their relationship has loosened up a lot, Sakurai needs to have some answers ready. There is no reason for Geno not to be included at this point... Money on Nintendo's end, money on Square's end. They got Cloud Strife of all people in the game, I don't see why Geno would be shelved a third time.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

So... no one is using this as evidence? Sakurai literally had permission to use this song for a trailer. But c'mon guys. He could easily... EASILY slap that **** in Ultimate if Square let him use it for a damn Mii Costume reveal.

Also, what if Geno wasn't added because of the whole "Bayonetta wasn't a ballot pick" thing. Y'know how the models were already in Smash ready for Cloud and Bayonetta.

He could've known Geno was near the top of the ballot and saved him for Ultimate. Just like how they saved Inklings for Ultimate. And guess who was a Mii Costume too...
:ultkrool:,:ultchrom:, and :ultisabelle:.

Something I have thought about for awhile and never got around to asking.
When did that artist draw the picture of Geno? The one that saws, I serve a higher authority and got taken down?
Geno was talked about in the office? Was that during the Mii costume announcement days or way after?
I believe it was during that time.

Also, wasn't there a thing going around that Sakurai wanted to add a character with a gun model? Geno 100% has a gun. He was a Mii Gunner. And Elma doesn't seem like a character he'd put in over many other fan favorites.

That figure and it's gun strongly resembles Mach Rider, so it could be Mach Rider.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

It looks like we're all shaking with anticipation.

C'mon Nintendo, throw us a bone with a new direct... pretty please?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Unless Nintendo actually gave his source Forest Maze but ordered them to wait until Geno is revealed, Crunchii is most-likely trolling.

give us Geno dang it.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
There was a problem fetching the tweet

He’s saying now that the number codes were fake and just messing with the Smash community, I don’t think he actually wants to open that can of worms, messing with the Smash community is like poking a sleeping bear, you just don’t do it, but since he’s receiving threats, I’m guessing it’s a tad too late.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

He’s saying now that the number codes were fake and just messing with the Smash community, I don’t think he actually wants to open that can of worms, messing with the Smash community is like poking a sleeping bear, you just don’t do it, but since he’s receiving threats, I’m guessing it’s a tad too late.
This man let the power of uploading one song from a yet-to-be-released game get to his head and tried sending said game's fanbase on a wild goose chase for the lulz... and now he's upset people are reacting negatively to it?
Forgive me for asking, but what, exactly, was he expecting?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
This man let the power of uploading one song from a yet-to-be-released game get to his head and tried sending said game's fanbase on a wild goose chase for the lulz... and now he's upset people are reacting negatively to it?
Forgive me for asking, but what, exactly, was he expecting?
Exactly. :smash:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Sometimes when you tease people, you take it too far and.. people dont like it :O

But he did use the krool fake out vid, so maybe this is just a fake out! geno confirmed!
jk. ;p

Paul Cesar

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I just wanted to comment on something. I haven't visited these forums in a long time but I wanted to give my two cents on Geno's chances since it seems that's where the conversation is headed based on recent comments. His chances to be in this game are incredibly high based on all the reasons you all already know which I won't go into, and we have to consider a few things here. When it comes to the question: "will Square-Enix give Sakurai and Nintendo the rights to use Geno?", I think that's already been answered and it's a resounding yes. Sakurai and co. have already used Geno's likeness in Smash Bros Wii U in the form of dressing up your Mii Fighter to look exactly like him. Also, someone brought up a great point just a few comments ago, but not only did they let Sakurai use his likeness, but they let him use the Forest Maze theme song in the mii fighter reveal trailer. Think about that. Assuming fees and contracts have to be applied between Nintendo and third party companies to use anything regarding their property, do you think they would go to the trouble of getting the rights to that song and only use 10 seconds of it in that short reveal, and not at least put it in the game?

Another important aspect you have consider is that Cloud was announced and created during the DLC period after the game had already been released. A ton of money, time, and man power goes into creating just one character and I would assume the budget isn't as big as it is during development of the main game. Hence why Cloud, or any other DLC character for that matter, didn't get a fancy cinematic reveal. Putting something like that together costs money. Obviously during negotiations, between Nintendo and Square-Enix, Geno was brought up due to his popularity and Sakurai's own personal bias. So the question is: Why wasn't Geno in the last game if Sakurai nabbed the rights to use him and his likeness? The most likely answer is that there just wasn't enough time to create him and Cloud so put yourself in Sakurai's shoes. If you meet with Square-Enix and they give you the go ahead to use both Geno and Cloud (Square-Enix biggest icon), and you only have the time to develop one at the moment, and save the other one for later, who would you pick? I think it was a smart move to get someone as iconic as Cloud in the game while they had the chance, and either work on Geno later down the line as DLC or save him for the next game along with with other fan favorites like Ridley and K. Rool. It's also highly unlikely that Square-Enix would allow their biggest character in the game, but exclusively limite Geno only as a costume and his theme song only during the trailer. I don't think Square-Enix's grip on Geno is as tight or strict as we are to believe. More facts point towards their leniency to let the character or his likeness to be used.

As you guys pointed out, it wouldn't make sense for Geno to not make it into Ultimate based on a million different reasons that you all already know. Sakurai wants him, he's been as heavily requested as the last 2 major reveals, and Sakurai has acquired the rights to his likeness to be in the game. Whether he's in the base roster or DLC; I don't think it's a question of "if" but when Geno will be revealed.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

it was a gundam toy but he specifically said he was interested in the gun not the gundam itself. my theory for that is he was using the gun along with a posing figure to help figure out how to make the Inkling move while constantly holding a gun in their hands.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone tested the "NDA Effect" yet?

Many Shantae fans have Tweeted at WayForward about Shantae for Smash and... nothing. Ever.

Any of you guys ever pester Square about the puppet? It's cool to just test it out.

CraziiDamon

Smash Rookie
Has anyone tested the "NDA Effect" yet?

Many Shantae fans have Tweeted at WayForward about Shantae for Smash and... nothing. Ever.

Any of you guys ever pester Square about the puppet? It's cool to just test it out.
We are in a different situation. With Shovel Knight and Shantae, that experiment made sense because they're both indie characters and don't come from a BIG company as Square is. Square doesn't interact like those companies with their fans on twitter, It just doesn't mean anything for us to get SE's accounts to ignore us because they ignore basically everything.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
We are in a different situation. With Shovel Knight and Shantae, that experiment made sense because they're both indie characters and don't come from a BIG company as Square is. Square doesn't interact like those companies with their fans on twitter, It just doesn't mean anything for us to get SE's accounts to ignore us because they ignore basically everything.
Good point.

Is there a reason why Gamefaqs and 4chan all of a sudden hate Geno now? What happened?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

Ha, called it. What a toolbag that guy is. Death threats may be a bit much, but he certainly deserves all the hate being slung at him, if for no other reason than being a complete moron about it. I mean, even Nintendo learned not to mess with the Smash community after that dumpster fire of a PR stunt way back, when they tried to prank us.

Just as a general rule: only Daddy Sakurai may screw with us. And that's because he holds us in the palm of his hand.

it was a gundam toy but he specifically said he was interested in the gun not the gundam itself. my theory for that is he was using the gun along with a posing figure to help figure out how to make the Inkling move while constantly holding a gun in their hands.
Actually, a great case was made that the gun was NOT for Inkling. I'm definitely not going back to find that post, but the guy who posed the argument was JoeStronger JoeStronger . Haven't seen him around since, but he made a fantastic case for the gun being related to Geno. I might look through his post history to find it...unless you want to repost it, Joe?

Edit: nvm, it was easy to find, lol.
Hey all. I've been stalking these forums for a while, but I've only now decided to make an account to show my support for Geno in Smash, and to share a bit of speculation on my part, some bad, but some good.
After yesterday's Smash Direct, I felt incredibly uneasy about Geno's chances in Ultimate after seeing the number of tracks for Final Fantasy: a measly two. It left a sinking feeling in my gut, because if even Konami could be generous enough to let 3 fighters (and 1 assist trophy) in so far, along with 34 music tracks from Castlevania, the apparent stinginess of Squeenix with just Final Fantasy made my heart sink a bit.

However, I also recently learned of a silver lining after reading around a bit more today: the mecha figure that Sakurai bought in 2016.

In an interview with Denfaminicogamer in December of 2016, Sakurai stated that he had recently bought a figure to use as reference for a new project he was working on, and this figure in question is actually of a very old school mech known as Vifam (not a Gundam, as some people incorrectly stated). However, what really set off the alarm in my head was when it stated he was only using the rifle as a reference. As soon as I found out about this, my inner mecha fanboy was fired up, and the gears started to turn, and it clicked.

This has to be for Geno, and here's my theory why. Vifam is a very old school mecha show, from 1983. It's rifle is a beam rifle, which is a standard thing in mecha, but Vifam's rifle is much simpler and rounder than one from a show like Gundam or Layzner from the same era. It's my theory that Sakurai is using Vifam's rifle as a reference for his team to base and model the laser for the Geno Beam attack, as the in game sprites themselves aren't very detailed, and there's no official art of the Beam in question; off the top of my head, there's only about 5 pieces of official art related to Geno that exist, and they're all of his weapons. Plus, the design of Vifam's rifle doesn't match up with the more machine gun looking arm cannon the Mii Gunner costume had.

While some people say that he might be referencing the rifle for a character like something from Custom Robo or Elma from Xenoblade X, neither of these make much sense to me. For one, both characters have official art to reference if they were being modeled, and two, both of them use different styles of weapons compared to something like the rounder, old school beam rifle from Vifam: Custom Robo uses blockier, boxier weapons, and Elma uses more angular, sharper dual pistols.

In addition, while the original Denfaminicogamer article didn't mention the project at all. I think there's pretty strong evidence it was related to Smash given the timing of the article. In a June 2018 interview article with Famitsu, Sakurai stated he put forth the first proposal for the game in December of 2015, and since the Denfaminicogamer interview was in December of 2016, I think it's within the realm of possibility that development of Smash Ultimate was already in full swing, and was probably still polishing out the roster.

Again, while yesterday's direct left me feeling a bit uneasy about Geno's chances due to the low FF Music, I feel a bit more confident in his inclusion as a playable character after I formulated my theory reading all of the above articles, and I'd figure it would be a good idea to share it with you all.

I'm gonna keep believing in him, with all my heart. Geno for Smash!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I've never actually seen Geno hate myself, but if I were to guess, perhaps one of the reasons Geno gets hate is because "why should this obscure 1-off rpg character that only a select few people even know get in and take a slot away from "x" who is more deserving."

Also, about the death threats that guy got, I think that is completely unwarranted and immature. Does he deserve hate? Of course, if that's how people feel, that's how they feel. But I don't think people realize what they are actually saying when they throw out death threats, and what kind of power those messages can hold. I know I shouldn't be making this out to be a huge deal, but are people getting so upset to the point that they feel the need to threaten someone's life? That's ridiculous. And if someone takes that the wrong way, it could turn from a joke in bad taste to something more serious with authorities involved.

Honestly, if you get pleasure out of making death threats or vent your frustrations through them, you should be ashamed.

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Good point.

Is there a reason why Gamefaqs and 4chan all of a sudden hate Geno now? What happened?
GameFAQs is just scummy. They hate anything with a sense of popularity or something people like.
As for 4chan, well...it's 4chan.

Last edited:

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
GameFAQs is just scummy. They hate anything with a sense of popularity or something people like.
As for 4chan, well...it's 4chan.
somehow, it's so much pettier and annoying on gamefaqs than it is on /v/.
that is reason enough to wipe smashfaqs off the face of the earth.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
somehow, it's so much pettier and annoying on gamefaqs than it is on /v/.
that is reason enough to wipe smashfaqs off the face of the earth.
Yeah. Not sure what their issue is over there. The community is beyond toxic and full of kids, I'd imagine.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I've never actually seen Geno hate myself, but if I were to guess, perhaps one of the reasons Geno gets hate is because "why should this obscure 1-off rpg character that only a select few people even know get in and take a slot away from "x" who is more deserving."
You know...I find it funny people pose that argument. That's the same sort of thing people would have said about Duck Hunt. And ROB. And at the time of his inclusion, even Ness.

Funny how they're all in the game now.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think we have to be worried about Final Fantasy music in regards to Square being stingy.

Square may be stingy, but maybe not that extreme; the Final Fantasy composer's legal situation or something made it so they couldn't get much FF music, so Square themselves may be sorta lenient at least.

forgive me if I'm wrong.

TheBeastHimself

I'm glad I'm part of Smashboards because while I haven't seen every part of this site, I appreciate that there's a consistent level of maturity and respect among everyone.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Very frustrated with Crunchii. That was completely unnecessary

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
i just really want our boy to get confirmed so we can stop eating each other. i just want us to be able to do what the ridley and k rool fans did and sit in a circle and hold hands and sing kumbaya, because our mans is finally home. :crying:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Ha, called it. What a toolbag that guy is. Death threats may be a bit much, but he certainly deserves all the hate being slung at him, if for no other reason than being a complete moron about it. I mean, even Nintendo learned not to mess with the Smash community after that dumpster fire of a PR stunt way back, when they tried to prank us.

Just as a general rule: only Daddy Sakurai may screw with us. And that's because he holds us in the palm of his hand.

Actually, a great case was made that the gun was NOT for Inkling. I'm definitely not going back to find that post, but the guy who posed the argument was JoeStronger JoeStronger . Haven't seen him around since, but he made a fantastic case for the gun being related to Geno. I might look through his post history to find it...unless you want to repost it, Joe?

Edit: nvm, it was easy to find, lol.
Those are some really good points actually! huh well that's another thing to add to the list of things in Geno's favor. It really is nice being a Geno fan right now. He's the last character I'm really pulling for at this point and his chances are so good. and you know looking through the roster we have so far he really does feel like a perfect fit within the smash family.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Welp, seems Crunchii should not have taken on the task of putting a carrot on a string.
Thankfully a lot of us were mindful of that....or just not that hungry.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks Crunchii is a garbage tier human for what he did. I mean, I think that about most people who make fake leaks that aren't obviously fake, but the dude's response to this makes me want to slap my monitor: "Haha, you guys suck because I tried to trick you and you fell for it, but also pity me because you guys threatened me on the internet." Jesus Christo, what a world we live in.

Like I posted in my tweet response to him, if you guys want Ultimate and possible Ultimate music, hit up 31 Horas Music on YT. It's literally the same thing but without that loser's face on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom